Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Windbreaker City

• Start Topic

Jake is heartbroken over Sophia but his spirits are lifted when the squad is invited to a Homeland Security terrorist training simulation. That is, until the agent in charge assigns them the lame role of playing hostages. Meanwhile, Gina administers a psychological exam to Holt, and Amy and Rosa compete for a day off from work.

Exactly what I was thinking - what happened to "Yay, more work!" Amy? Anyway, Amy/Rosa is probably my favorite pairing this season, so this should be good.

Amy is also hyper-competitive, so it might be less about the reward and more about the challenge.  Or, she needs the day for a personal reason.

• Love 1

"You thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Yes, we need to pack grapes for this trip."

Do NOT call Terry's ass fat. Also a great callback.

"Like some boss-ass penguins!"

"It's a box of shapes and it contains only...the truth." Man, Holt vs Gina this week was great.

• Love 3

Another paintball gun episode, like Tactical Village.  Interesting that like that one, it also involved Jake getting super invested, in order to avoid what was going on in his personal life (jealous of Ted/Amy last season, his break-up with Sophia here.)  It was fun, even though Nick Kroll and the rest of Homland Security were typical jerks.  I did like that they lost this time, and it was even due to a Die Hard move.  Jake really did look crushed.

Loved the Amy vs. Rosa stuff.  Amy would totally pop Rosa like that; when she gets competitive, she takes no prisoners!  But, I figured it would end with her taking the shift anyway.  Also loved her saying that she "murdered" Rosa.  And her happiness over Rosa and Marcus in the "meet the parents" phase of their relationship.  Amy is so cute.  I want more Amy/Rosa.

Of course, mere duct tape couldn't hold Terry down!

Loved Boyle's angry "Who else?!", when Jake claimed he had other friends, during one of his face-off against Kroll's character. Jealous BFF Boyle is always amusing.

Couldn't get into the Holt/Gina stuff, because I knew it would end with Holt apologizing to Gina.  And, then he even claimed he thinks she can be a great leader, which scares me.  I feel like she would be a tyrant to her underlings.  But, it did end with him giving her more responsibility, which she clearly hates, so not a complete loss.

• Love 6

That doesn't make sense.  Amy LOVES work.

Wasn't she going to use it for some class on Power Poses? That's almost work. I was glad she finally got a cheer from the rest of them near the end. She's just so adorkable.

Is it silly that I cheered a little when Terry joined in with the Hos afterall?

Did not like Holt and Gina at all except when he tricked her with the round vs square treats. I just cannot stand that character/actress.

Scully & Hitchcock were hilarious as always. I died laughing at Hitchcock sitting there with the blue dot in the middle of his forehead.

(edited)

I never thought I would see the day when I agree with Gina over Holt, but I would choose a chocolate chip cookie over a blondie any day and it has nothing to do with the shape. Now if I had to choose between a chocolate chip cookie and a brownie, there might be some hesitation (but still nothing shape related!).

I love that once again we have Holt having disdain for food and his ensuing logic: if cookies and blondies have the same ingredients, then isn't your choice based entirely on the shape?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7

But, I figured it would end with her taking the shift anyway.

From the moment Rosa said she was having dinner with her parents I knew that Amy would sacrifice herself and that the reason for the dinner was because she was introducing Marcus to her parents because I have seen tv before. However, what I adored about the show is that Amy "killing" Rosa point blank and more importantly that Amy gave it to her before Rosa revealed the reason that the dinner was important.

My eyes have also gone wonky because I totally found Nick Kroll hot with the beard.

I and forever love Gina but I have a sweet soft part in my heart for the Holt/Gina relationship.

• Love 1

It is rare but there is nothing about this show that I don't like.  The different combinations of relationships still bring freshness to each episode.

Shame on you Jake for not seeing that Die Hard move coming from a mile away.

• Love 12

Is it silly that I cheered a little when Terry joined in with the Hos afterall?

Scully & Hitchcock were hilarious as always. I died laughing at Hitchcock sitting there with the blue dot in the middle of his forehead.

I cheered too.

As for Scully & Hitchcock, I loved this bit:

"Is it time for lunch?"

"It's 10:30 in the morning."

"No wonder I'm so hungry!"

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

Only thing that would have made this episode better for me is if Amy still didn't get a cheer on her "Nine NINE!!!" and Boyle with pity just tells her to give it a rest.

Everybody hit well and Holt continues to be one of my favorite characters on TV. His logic approach to everything works so well with the natural deadpan style, but I love that he harbors such passions that make him act irrationally while still thinking he's being logical.

• Love 2

Two more titles for Amy's sex tape! For some reason, I continue to enjoy when Jake uses that line.

I loved how Jake didn't take out the most people. He and Boyle shot what, four each, while Amy and Rosa had 7 each. I could just imagine them running a gauntlet of the "good guys" and picking them off one-by-one.

I wasn't feeling Holt-Gina until the end. I liked his round or square dessert test, but I wasn't laughing until he assigned her more work because someone with her personality would want to handle the extra assignments.

• Love 1

Oh, I really liked that the show had the nemesis of the week embrace Jake and the nine-nine's quirkiness and to have him come out on top without sacrificing even one little bit of his dickishness.

I also really liked how the personality test played out.  Of course Holt was pleased with the way he was neatly slotted into a category (with an appropriately logical series of letters and numbers) he thought he belonged.  Of course. And of course he would be unnerved that Gina also got the same score. 

This episode was amazing. It kept me laughing throughout. I wasn't that thrilled with Holt and Gina's subplot, but I really enjoyed the stuff with the Nine-Nine fighting back. I love it when they join together in these role-play exercises and get into character. I still say that even though Jake got shot, they still won because they took out basically everyone.

• Love 3

This show slays me. I literally laugh out loud.

"You need to cathart!"  "Yes, you need to cathart all over the place!"

"Molly was my first."  "Your first what?" "My first dog." "That isn't how ANYBODY uses that."

Bwahahahaha

• Love 7

Exactly what I was thinking - what happened to "Yay, more work!" Amy? Anyway, Amy/Rosa is probably my favorite pairing this season, so this should be good.

Probably "But, but, TED Talk! Power Pose! Career Enhancement! And I already bought a ticket!"

I want to see Nick Kroll return as the DHS Gruber. Rematch next season!

Oh I'd like to see that (Kroll come back as an ongoing enemy). I was hoping we would see a little more of Patton Oswalt's rival fire investigator.

One of the great things about a show like Resuce Me was how it showed off the rivalries between these types of departments. I'd like to see some more of that banter. "We know we're on the same side, but really our team is better!"

Edited by Traveller519

I enjoyed this one a lot, particularly the return of the "that's the name of your sex tape" jokes. But I also enjoyed Jake repeating something to someone else and realizing that it didn't work in that context (e.g. talking about Terry pushing out his chest etc. and then saying that to Rosa/Amy and immediately backtracking). :D

Seeing Holt so competitive is a lovely little glimpse into his humanity. He's usually so unflappable. :)

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 2

I loved how Jake didn't take out the most people. He and Boyle shot what, four each, while Amy and Rosa had 7 each. I could just imagine them running a gauntlet of the "good guys" and picking them off one-by-one.

I haven't seen this particular episode but generally, I love that this show never highlights or underlines that the women are as good or better than the men at the job but consistently shows it.  I did note at some point in S1 that Amy had more (successful) physical take-downs than Jake, although I haven't kept count.

• Love 1

Nick Kroll always plays a complete jackass. And he does it so well. I always like when the show plays on the inter-organisational rivalry. Cops hate firefighters, ATF and Homeland Security hate cops, etc. It's the sort of childish pettiness that you don't expect to see in your average cop show.

Amy is the best. I really want to see all of her power-poses for... science. Love it when she gets bitchy and snitty, almost as much as when she gets dorky and adorable (although that really is her default position). "Ohhh, Italian. Makes sense Pinocchio!.... He's a liar too, and Italian... I over explained it." I loved how badass both Amy and Rosa got to be in the hostage breakout too. 

The return of sex tape titles was great, but it highlighted a concern of mine that has grown over recent weeks. They've basically stopped giving Amy and Jake any scenes together, since The Road Trip. I really miss their banter, and if this is the way the writers are handling the effort to not put them in a relationship, it's not working for me. I think they'd be fun as a couple, but primarily I need them to be having scenes at least as friends.

Poor Holt, being stuck with the vile Gina for the entire episode. He still managed to have some great moments though. Love the bit about "Tenacious Ray" suing the country club.

• Love 3

Cops hate firefighters, ATF and Homeland Security hate cops, etc. It's the sort of childish pettiness that you don't expect to see in your average cop show.

Really, because I would say it is the exact opposite. I mean I would be hard pressed to think of a cop show where there hasn't been at least some mention about how local cops have some irrational petty hatred of the feds and vice versa. This show does it better than most, but I swear I have seen that kind of sentiment in like every cop show.

The return of sex tape titles was great, but it highlighted a concern of mine that has grown over recent weeks. They've basically stopped giving Amy and Jake any scenes together, since The Road Trip. I really miss their banter, and if this is the way the writers are handling the effort to not put them in a relationship, it's not working for me. I think they'd be fun as a couple, but primarily I need them to be having scenes at least as friends.

My theory is that they've kept them apart so that the audience wouldn't credit Amy as a factor in the ongoing Jake/Sophia break-up. I don't find it at all coincidental that during the two (?) episodes in which the Jake/Sophia relationship ended, Amy's storylines kept her from away from Jake.

I expect once Sophia is but a fond memory (hopefully next episode?), Amy will be brought back into Jake's orbit.

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 2

My theory is that they've kept them apart so that the audience wouldn't credit Amy as a factor in the ongoing Jake/Sophia break-up. I don't find it at all coincidental that during the two (?) episodes in which the Jake/Sophia relationship ended, Amy's storylines kept her from away from Jake.

I expect once Sophia is but a fond memory (hopefully next episode?), Amy will be brought back into Jake's orbit.

I'm glad someone else noticed this, because I was actually thrilled that Amy had her own storyline away from Jake's breakup. Too many shows would put Amy in that awkward position of being the supportive one for him, having to be all "don't worry, there's someone else out there for you" when we all know it'll probably be her someday. Instead, Amy had her own plot, proving once again that this character is much more than a love interest for Jake. Not that I'm saying her being supportive would be bad, but I appreciated B99 not going for the obvious scene of having Jake's former crush being the one to console him. Just like I appreciated B99 not using Amy being drunk as an excuse for her to confess new feelings for Jake in the Beach House episode. It's just refreshing for a sitcom.

As for the rest of the episode, good as always. Except while I do actually like Gina, I do really need the show to present an opportunity where she actually has to apologize to someone else (sincerely, mind you) instead of the other way around. She can be funny, but I need her to be brought down a notch (I'm still annoyed at her pouring her shake on Boyle's crotch last week - that was just mean).

• Love 2

That's fine during the breakup storyline, and I would agree that giving Amy her own thing there puts her on a stronger footing. But they kept them apart in episodes before that too. There has been little to no interaction between them at all in the episodes since The Road Trip.

Jake has been with either Terry or Charles, and Amy has been with Rosa or Gina. The one ensemble episode, with the beach house, gave them a couple of scenes together that were fun, but that's not enough for me. And this is just me being a fan of their friendship, first and foremost. And also resentful that Amy has been lumbered with Gina in too many episodes.

Really, because I would say it is the exact opposite. I mean I would be hard pressed to think of a cop show where there hasn't been at least some mention about how local cops have some irrational petty hatred of the feds and vice versa. This show does it better than most, but I swear I have seen that kind of sentiment in like every cop show.

I've seen Cop/Fed rivalries, sure. But in my experience, they're usually presented as at least a partially valid sense of enmity, couched in macho posturing. In this show, it's pure playground childishness and name calling.

• Love 1

I've seen Cop/Fed rivalries, sure. But in my experience, they're usually presented as at least a partially valid sense of enmity, couched in macho posturing. In this show, it's pure playground childishness and name calling.

Yes, it's usually done as two groups of dogs marking their territory.  The B99-Stylz is much more fun.

That's fine during the breakup storyline, and I would agree that giving Amy her own thing there puts her on a stronger footing. But they kept them apart in episodes before that too. There has been little to no interaction between them at all in the episodes since The Road Trip.

I still think it was to distance Amy from the Jake/Sophia problems. Wasn't Road Trip the ep in which Amy breaks up with her boyfriend and it's revealed that Amy kind of liked Jake too? If so, then I think the show has deliberately kept them separated since then so that we don't think Jake was pulled back into his earlier attraction to Amy (due to that revelation), thus leading to his break-up.

I'm sorry, but, as ransom demands go, "Chewable! ... Chewable!" will never cease to be hilarious to me. (I had to post that somewhere, and I think I need to stop larding the quotes thread with every one of my new favourites.)

• Love 1