Type keyword(s) to search

She's Superman's Cousin!: And Other Supergirl Spoilers

• Start Topic

I hate the idea that being from a bad family makes you bad even if you try to be a good person, like it's your destiny and you might as well not even try to escape it. Having a Luthor as a good guy is one of the things this show has going for it, and I hope they don't mess that up.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Cranberry said:

I hate the idea that being from a bad family makes you bad even if you try to be a good person, like it's your destiny and you might as well not even try to escape it. Having a Luthor as a good guy is one of the things this show has going for it, and I hope they don't mess that up.

Totally agree! I think Smallville really screwed that up with Lex—a lot of "tell" instead of "show" that he was bad based on his family and the other Smallville folks were "good."  

I hope that Lena is allowed to continue bucking the trend. Though the show constantly overemphasizes the long dramatic pause: will she turn evil this time?! Sounds like that transparently forced drama will continue. :-/

• Love 1

“Unfortunately, Floriana decided to move on, which left us with, how do we write her out as a regular while still honoring these two women who were deeply in love with each other?” Kreisberg says. “Taking a page out of some of our own personal dating history, we’ve come up with a story that we really feel like honors what’s come before them, and honors how much they love each other, how much they mean to each other, and how much they’ve changed each other’s lives. It’s some of the most emotional stuff we’ve ever done, and Floriana has been so good in these first five episodes. Episode 3 is all about Maggie and her dad, played by Carlos Bernard, and it’s some of the most heartbreaking stuff I’ve ever done on anything I’ve ever done.”

While the future may sound murky for the Sanvers relationship, fellow executive producer Greg Berlanti recently said the show is still committed to exploring Alex’s romantic life moving forward.

Ok, I'd started to think maybe I was wrong about them ending Sanvers, but after reading that, I'm back to thinking Sanvers is going to end.

Wow. That sounds...really definitive. I didnt know they'd gotten that far. But with the actress deciding to pursue other projects, it also sounds like they've been preparing for the possibility for some time now. If it had to end, I'm glad it was at least under better circumstances; they sound very committed to giving their story proper closure (and were fortunate to have had the time and forewarning to be able to do that) and seem to have parted ways amicably. As far as these things go, I suppose it could have been alot worse. At this point I just hope Kara is really going to be there for her. Already feeling a little deflated. 

20 hours ago, Cranberry said:

In all honesty, this is the way I expected Lena to go when I saw Katie McGrath was playing her. It's almost the exact same progression her character from Merlin took: good to evil. And if Dracula hadn't gotten cancelled after just one season, her character on that show would've been going that way as well in season 2. She can definitely play both sides of the coin.

• Love 1
On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:47 AM, kariyaki said:

In all honesty, this is the way I expected Lena to go when I saw Katie McGrath was playing her. It's almost the exact same progression her character from Merlin took: good to evil. And if Dracula hadn't gotten cancelled after just one season, her character on that show would've been going that way as well in season 2. She can definitely play both sides of the coin.

Yeah I can definitely see her becoming greyer over the seasons, that's KMcG's specialty it seems, though it was a pretty quick turn around on Merlin she was pretty good at playing both roles. It doesn't have to happen, especially just "because she's a Luthor" but I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the reasons they hired her.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:27 AM, Karlophe said:

Wow. That sounds...really definitive. I didnt know they'd gotten that far. But with the actress deciding to pursue other projects, it also sounds like they've been preparing for the possibility for some time now. If it had to end, I'm glad it was at least under better circumstances; they sound very committed to giving their story proper closure (and were fortunate to have had the time and forewarning to be able to do that) and seem to have parted ways amicably. As far as these things go, I suppose it could have been alot worse. At this point I just hope Kara is really going to be there for her. Already feeling a little deflated. 

Yes it seems fairly definite that they'll break up there. I assume that's why they (might) have gotten them married over the break, so it's clear they want to be together but (family?) circumstances means they break up.

Yes it seems fairly definite that they'll break up there. I assume that's why they (might) have gotten them married over the break

I think they are probably just engaged, being married would make things a little more complicated. I assume Floriana Lima wants to be free for network pilot season which typically starts in January so Maggie probably won't be around later than 3-4 episodes after they return from the winter break. 

Edited by Oreo2234

from EW's Spoiler Room:

Following the events of the finale, as Kara pushes away her humanity, Lena will suffer guilt over her involvement in costing Kara her relationship. “While Lena’s feeling good that she helped saved the world, she feels very responsible that her best friend is hurting, and she’s trying to bring Kara back to the friendship that they had,” says Katie McGrath, who teases that Lena will do something very big in the premiere to try to rectify that.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

So this is another brunette cast as young Kara, is Supergirl a bottle blonde?

It seems like she is... I expect this is one of those questions the show will never answer, though.

11 hours ago, Trini said:

I mean, it's gotta be kryptonite-laced bleach, right??

Talk about toxic hair color!

I wonder about her earrings-doesn't she wear the same, minimal ones as Kara Danvers and Supergirl? Shouldn't her swiftly changing into her costume include plucking out her earrings and hiding them, let's say, in a secret compartment built into her glasses? I would put two and two together just based on the earrings.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Talk about toxic hair color!

I wonder about her earrings-doesn't she wear the same, minimal ones as Kara Danvers and Supergirl? Shouldn't her swiftly changing into her costume include plucking out her earrings and hiding them, let's say, in a secret compartment built into her glasses? I would put two and two together just based on the earrings.

I wonder more about how her ears were actually pierced than whether or not the earrings should be enough to identify her. This is the same world where glasses are sufficient to totally change her appearance and make her unrecognizable. If the combination of same face/hair/height/voice/etc is not enough to identify her, I don't think small nondescript earrings is enough to tip the scale!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I wonder more about how her ears were actually pierced than whether or not the earrings should be enough to identify her. This is the same world where glasses are sufficient to totally change her appearance and make her unrecognizable. If the combination of same face/hair/height/voice/etc is not enough to identify her, I don't think small nondescript earrings is enough to tip the scale!

I can't recall from the flashbacks, but I'm willing to assume that her ears were pierced on Krypton.

I understand everything you are saying about her height, face, hair, etc (although she does try to speak with different intonation) but, oddly enough, the same exact earrings would be impossible for me to overlook!

2 hours ago, secnarf said:

The showrunners have said that she had her ears pierced as a young girl before she left Krypton. And I don't think most people would really look that closely at her earrings -- or notice that Kara Danvers and Supergirl also happen to wear the exact same type of makeup.

Edited by legaleagle53
2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

The showrunners have said that she had her ears pierced as a young girl before she left Krypton. And I don't think most people would really look that closely at her earrings -- or notice that Kara Danvers and Supergirl also happen to wear the exact same type of makeup.

If I saw Supergirl in person while she was standing still and her earrings were visible, I would take note of them.  Then, if I saw those same earrings on another woman, especially of the same age, build and hair color, I would notice them too.  Most people trying to keep a low profile don't wear distinctive makeup, but I generally notice if multiple people wear the same jewelry, even in real life!

Here is a link to some spoilers from Entertainment Weekly. Kreisberg claims there will be more Danvers sisters together this season and that they will be a big part of the crossover. I'll believe it when I see it but I hope that the writers have realised they neglected some of the season one relationships last year. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 6

All of this good news is really giving me renewed hope for the coming season. We're getting a more complex and human antagonist in Reign, we're getting more layers from and a deepening friendship with Lena, and now not only will Alex be part of the crossover this year, but her and Kara's relationship will be important across the entirety. They said their sisterhood would be more central to the story again, and it looks like they mean it. I was more than happy just hearing about their flashback episode, now I'm just happy, full stop.

• Love 3

EW Spoiler Room:

I think I recall Melissa Benoist mentioning a new Supergirl suit at Comic-Con. Is that happening? — Trisha

As of now, she’s still wearing the same super suit. However, we will see Kara in something new, even if it’s not permanent, later this season. “There is a different suit that I will be wearing at some point this season, but I won’t tell you when or to what capacity,” Melissa Benoist says. “It’s cool, though.”

Future suit? Alternate dimension Supergirl? A clone? Spacesuit?? Is this related to the crossover plot?

Edited by Trini

Also from EW, about Reign/Samantha: http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/14/supergirl-reign-season-3-spoilers/

“When we meet Reign, she’s just a woman,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg tells EW. “Her name is Samantha and she’s a single mom, and she has no idea that she is Reign; she has no idea that she was the baby in the pod at the end of last season, so the journey that she takes this season is watching her realize her heritage and see how it manifests.”

Samantha’s transformation into Reign will really speak to the show’s theme this year. “The thing that everybody is struggling with on Supergirl this season is What does it mean to be human?” Kreisberg says, stressing that Supergirl needed to shake things up with its choice of big bad....

... When we were figuring out Reign, one thing we’ve never really seen on any of these shows is we’ve never seen the big bad become the big bad.”

I'm just trying to think where else have I seen this plot before, and whether I liked the resolution; because there are essentially only two endings: character becomes the villain (and has to be taken down) or character does not become the villain. How successful this is as an arc depends on how it affects everything/everyone else.

16 hours ago, Trini said:

I'm just trying to think where else have I seen this plot before, and whether I liked the resolution; because there are essentially only two endings: character becomes the villain (and has to be taken down) or character does not become the villain. How successful this is as an arc depends on how it affects everything/everyone else.

TBH, it sounds a like like the Doomsday arc from Smallville.

• Love 1
On 9/14/2017 at 4:01 PM, Trini said:

EW Spoiler Room:

Future suit? Alternate dimension Supergirl? A clone? Spacesuit?? Is this related to the crossover plot?

If she just shortens those crazy bots! That would be new suit enough for me!

3 hours ago, Trini said:

Ehh - I think I had mostly checked out of the show by then. I don't remember how that went.

For the major build up the ending was anticlimactic as I recall.

Season 3 premiere description:

"Girl of Steel" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

DREAM A LITTLE DREAM OF YOU - Kara (Melissa Benoist) deals with the loss of Mon-El (Chris Wood) by focusing all her energy on being Supergirl and the mysterious new threat against National City. Alex (Chyler Leigh) confesses a secret to Maggie (guest star Floriana Lima) about their impending nuptials. A citizen of National City has a mysterious connection to Kara, and Lena (Katie McGrath) makes a bold move.

Jesse Warn directed the episode with story by Andrew Kreisberg and teleplay by Robert Rovner and Caitlin Parrish (#301).
Original airdate 10/9/2017.

• Love 1

It's from a paparazzi guy on twitter. He's not always completely accurate but he seems to have some pretty good sources. He apparently later clarified he's not sure if Mon-el is married to Saturn girl or not but it does sound like Mon-el is involved with someone else. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1

OK, so if Earth-X is a "Nazis won" universe, Kara will be ... Übermädchen?? (Anyone else old enough to remember the Saturday Night Live sketch that riffed off of "what if Kal-El's spaceship had landed in Nazi Germany"?)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Thanks.  Yeah I saw something about him possibly being with Shadow Lass but I couldn't figure out where the Saturn Girl thing was coming from. 

Well, that definitely proves that he was time-warped into the 30th/31st Century and became a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, since that's where both Shadow Lass and Saturn Girl hail from.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

It's from a paparazzi guy on twitter. He's not always completely accurate but he seems to have some pretty good sources. He apparently later clarified he's not sure if Mon-el is married to Saturn girl or not but it does sound like Mon-el is involved with someone else. 

Completely unsurprising it wouldn't be TV let alone the CW if they didn't have some kind of triangle or stall especially in a season 3. They didn't exactly do a good job in S1 on CBS with the Kara/James/Lucy thing, I just hope it isn't a season of romantic angst or too much pining. Assuming Chris Wood is staying on the show past this season I guess.

I hope he's not really married.  At least not if they plan to make Karamel the show endgame pairing. As I said over in the Mind Your Surroundings thread, having one of your couple be married to someone else is pretty much a pairing-killer for me.  

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 4

If Mon-el and Kara are endgame I assume he probably isn't married, just in a relationship. If he were married it would be harder for people to root for him to leave his other love interest and/or for Kara to go after a married man.

I saw that another source on twitter said Floriana Lima hasn't filmed since episode 5 which doesn't necessarily mean Alex and Maggie break up but I wouldn't be surprised. I got the vibe they were breaking up by the way the the producer was talking their story this season. 

Edited by Oreo2234
1 hour ago, Oreo2234 said:

If Mon-el and Kara are endgame I assume he probably isn't married, just in a relationship. If he were married it would be harder for people to root for him to leave his other love interest and/or for Kara to go after a married man.

I saw that another source on twitter said Floriana Lima hasn't filmed since episode 5 which doesn't necessarily mean Alex and Maggie break up but I wouldn't be surprised. I got the vibe they were breaking up by the way the the producer was talking their story this season. 

Yeah pretty sure they will be breaking up but maybe with the option of coming back in later if FL's schedule allows.

If they're planned as an endgame or even potential then no Mon-EL is probably not married, even if his wife left him or died or they amicably divorced or something it would still leave a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 1

Yeah pretty sure they will be breaking up but maybe with the option of coming back in later if FL's schedule allows.

I think it really was her decision to leave in this case and TPTB would be bring her back if she changed her mind. 

Edited by Oreo2234
17 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Thanks.  Yeah I saw something about him possibly being with Shadow Lass but I couldn't figure out where the Saturn Girl thing was coming from. 

I'm reading this and all I'm hearing is ZOMG LEGION!!!

15 hours ago, wilnil said:

OK, so if Earth-X is a "Nazis won" universe, Kara will be ... Übermädchen?? (Anyone else old enough to remember the Saturday Night Live sketch that riffed off of "what if Kal-El's spaceship had landed in Nazi Germany"?)

* Raises hand *

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

I don't think the writers have shown themselves to be particularly savvy where Mon-El and likeability are concerned, though. ITA that if Kara/Mon-El is supposed to be endgame or long-term, it would be better for Mon-El to be in a relationship as opposed to married/engaged when he returns. BUT I could see these writers (with some "encouragement" from the CW) opting for him to be married because it will up the angst/melodrama factor. It would be so much more dramatic, doncha know!

On the whole, unfortunately these writers tend to fall into the common trap of assuming that since a love interest is clearly fated to end up with Kara, that retroactively erases or makes up for all their poor behavior toward Kara earlier in the season. It's a weird "end justifies the means" logic by which the audience is supposed to overlook all a character's real-time sins since we know they're getting with Kara later, so we should interpret crappy behavior as somehow romantic instead of for the crappy behavior it is. (And of course it's never apologized for or mentioned ever again--it's amazing how many writers' rooms fall into this trap and turn a serious amount of viewers off of supposedly big-ticket pairings because of it.) The SG writers did it in S1 with James (before the CW pulled the plug) by making James an emotional cheater and on top of that a jerk to Kara at times because of it, and they did it in S2, where Mon-El's totally asshole-ness wasn't just not apologized for when he got together with Kara, but doubled down on. I'd love to be wrong, but at this point I don't believe these writers are good enough to change and become better.

• Love 2

If the writers were going for the big "fated" approach, wouldn't Mon-El be in the crossover though, for the Barry/Iris wedding? So far that doesn't sound like that's the case. But yes, I call total bullshit on it being Saturn Girl and not Shadow Lass, especially if they are married. Saturngirl already has an OTP in the comics. Why shit all over that just to either break up Karamel or cause an obstacle for them? Just because Saturn Girl is another blonde? 

I read Sanvers fans saying that is rumored that Alex and Maggie break up about wanting/not wanting to have kids? If so, that would be so stupid. Why not job offer or maybe Maggie deciding to take care of her ailing father or mother? Even if it is true that they want Alex emotionally available (read: the Sanvers has to feel pretty final rather than open ended) to hook up with Sara in the crossover, why not have the reason be that Alex needs to get around first, get her dating feet wet rather than the marrying the first woman she hooks up with? 

• Love 2

It would make sense if Alex wasn't yet ready to settle down when she's only had one serious relationship and Maggie realised that and let her go. The kid thing I do not like if it is true. I don't quite buy that Alex wants children so badly she would give up Maggie and right now she has a dangerous job with irregular hours which is not conducive to having children.

It also makes me worry about Reign having a kid. I heard the casting call for the daughter mentioned a series regular option for the next season. I don't want a child as a regular on this show and I especially don't want anyone on the show being her new parent when Reign inevitably turns evil, especially not Kara or Alex. This is not the type of show where kids are anything but a boring,time wasting addition and I can't imagine this would be something most fans would like. I think many would hate it actually. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1

I've read some theries that maybe some Kara or Zor-El DNA could have been used to create Reign, so in theory the child could be related to Kara by blood. 

I think there is some potential drama to be had if Reign dies. I read that from a casting POV, Reign is supposed to be a 1 season character, while the daughter got a contract with an option for an additional season. => To me that implies that Reign likely dies at the end of the season because I don't see how Reign would ever leave her daughter behind. 

Reign's daughter could have inherited superpowers from her mother. And she could hold a grudge against the good guys for causing the death of ther mother (whether directly or indirectly). 

Not that I love to see yet ANOTHER "will she turn evil, yes or no?" story. But I could see some potential if the daugther just hates Supergirl's guts. A villain with an actual, non-crazy reason to hate the good guys. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Oreo2234 said:

It would make sense if Alex wasn't yet ready to settle down when she's only had one serious relationship and Maggie realised that and let her go. The kid thing I do not like if it is true. I don't quite buy that Alex wants children so badly she would give up Maggie and right now she has a dangerous job with irregular hours which is not conducive to having children.

It also makes me worry about Reign having a kid. I heard the casting call for the daughter mentioned a series regular option for the next season. I don't want a child as a regular on this show and I especially don't want anyone on the show being her new parent when Reign inevitably turns evil, especially not Kara or Alex. This is not the type of show where kids are anything but a boring,time wasting addition and I can't imagine this would be something most fans would like. I think many would hate it actually. 

Hey this season Oliver looks after Myson (William for those not on the Arrow board) next season Kara has to look after Reign's daughter and a will she/won't she turn out like her mother, matching Lena's teasing evil or not.

• Love 1