Type keyword(s) to search

She's Superman's Cousin!: And Other Supergirl Spoilers

• Start Topic

But the entire plot of the season seems to already by: How evil is Reign, does she have to be evil? Who believes in her and who doesn't? Like, how many times over do you have to tell that story? 

Are we sure the couple in bed (around 0:23) are Karamel too? One person seems to be wearing a ring or something? 

Edited by tofutan

I guess those Saturn Girl rumors were correct:

Supergirl Season 3: Bollywood Star Amy Jackson to Recur as Saturn Girl

Supergirl is putting seven rings on it in Season 3 with the addition of a “strong-willed hero” by the name of Saturn Girl, TVLine has learned.

The character, who also answers to Imra Ardeen, will be played by British-born Bollywood actress Amy Jackson. According to her official description, Saturn Girl “uses her telekinetic ability to help those in need. She was born on Titan, one of Saturn’s moons, and arrives on Earth to help Supergirl battle one of her biggest threats.”

I still wonder whether she'll go blonde for the role. It just seems crazy to me to cast a Saturn Girl who is not a blonde. 

According to her twitter feed, it seems no. I guess she could always wear a wig. Why didn't they just make her Shadowlass? That would fit much better with the comics. 

Edited by LolaRuns

They liked the name Saturn Girl better? It fits better when talking about a Supergirl and Saturn Girl love triangle?

Does she have better/more interesting or easier to depict powers than Shadow Lass?

Edited by Featherhat

If they need any of her powers, they could just say Shadowlass in this universe has those powers. 

And they are not very interesting, it's basically only powers that J'onn already has, maybe with some more throwing objects with your mind. 

Just reading on Wikipedia, it sounds like Shadow Lass's powers are more interesting.  But maybe they deliberately put him in a non-comic canon pairing so there wouldn't be as much outcry for eventually breaking them up?  People could be all like "well Saturn Girl wasn't supposed to be with Mon-El anyway, she's supposed to be with Lightning Lad."  

I'm just speculating though.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Just reading on Wikipedia, it sounds like Shadow Lass's powers are more interesting.  But maybe they deliberately put him in a non-comic canon pairing so there wouldn't be as much outcry for eventually breaking them up?  People could be all like "well Saturn Girl wasn't supposed to be with Mon-El anyway, she's supposed to be with Lightning Lad."  

I'm just speculating though.

Hmm, a good speculation guess. Lightening Lad also shows up and they start having feelings whilst Kara and Mon-El are also doing the pining puppy dance with each other and LL and SG leave for the future together? Less bad then her dying so they can be together but potentially very messy in the middle with a ton of romantic angst the show really doesn't excel at in the mean time, and that's putting it mildly. Or a less complicated version they just hint that there's someone else in the Legion for her and she goes back.

Just please no public pining/moping for someone else who's married or pining for someone else whilst *you* are married, though I think that's a futile hope here.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

Does she have better/more interesting or easier to depict powers than Shadow Lass?

Shadow Lass is blue (and has pointed ears).  More makeup would be required to be authentic.  Since her power is casting shadows, that means the screen would be dark and the action would be difficult to portray since it's hard to see what a darkness-wielding superhero is doing.  Obsidian on Legends of Tomorrow had a similar ability. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, tofutan said:

Are we sure the couple in bed (around 0:23) are Karamel too? One person seems to be wearing a ring or something? 

I think that it's Alex and Maggie.

That dream sequence looks like it Kara imagining herself on Krypton(?). There's another planet in the background in the sky. It's just funny to me since Krypton isn't normally portrayed as having lush fields of grain! But I know they have to work with the locations they can get.

I assume that Mon-El will get a scene or two in each (or every other?) episode of where he is, before he returns. Besides that they have to because he's a regular, I doubt that they can really wait that long (episode 7? 8? 9??) to reveal where he is.

Back to the trailer; is the woman walking into a bank the previously announced Psi (Yael Grobglas)?

Current conspiracy theory is that the dream actually shows Mon-El's real location. 

Artist’s concept of Saturn as seen from its natural satellite Titan 

tumblr_n0h21xnmGN1sd2bsxo1_540.jpg

Versus:

tumblr_inline_owuj90cRcX1uqrtl5_540.gif

Suggesting that Saturn Girl might be the one sending the dream. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tofutan said:

Current conspiracy theory is that the dream actually shows Mon-El's real location. 

Suggesting that Saturn Girl might be the one sending the dream. 

Interesting.... Although, it could also really be just a dream, but the Saturn is an easter egg for people who would get the reference.

Is that one of Saturn Girl's powers?

21 hours ago, Trini said:

Interesting.... Although, it could also really be just a dream, but the Saturn is an easter egg for people who would get the reference.

Is that one of Saturn Girl's powers?

As a full-blown telepath, she can not only read minds, but she can also implant thoughts into others' minds and mentally compel others to do whatever she wants them to do, including willing them not to see or hear something that she doesn't want them to see or hear, and this ability extends to animals as well as to people.  She can even alter people's memories.  Creating solid, three-dimensional illusions, however, is NOT one of her powers. That power belongs to one of her 31st Century colleagues, Princess (or Queen) Projectra.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, tofutan said:

It's official. Reign claims her first victim. Now we know she's a badguy. 

If that's the reason they break up, I still think it's an annoying one. I know wanting kids or not is not something you can compromise on (can't have half a kid or design the perfect kids for your lifestyle etc) so IRL its a credible reason for an otherwise loving couple to break up if they're both dead set on it, better than thinking you can change someone's mind after all. But lesbians and kid issues seem cliché on TV, even though lesbian couples haven't been active on TV shows for that long comparatively and I'm not sure it really fits with Supergirl. Alex has an incredibly dangerous job that she's unlikely to give up for one thing.

• Love 2

I hope so but they could decide to give her Reign's kid when she goes evil/dies. I really don't want that and I think it would bring the character and the show down but these writers have shown some really poor judgement at times when it comes to the direction they should take with some stories. No regular on this show, especially Alex and Kara should have a kid until the show is over or ending. 

Edited by Oreo2234
On 26/09/2017 at 5:03 PM, tofutan said:

It's official. Reign claims her first victim. Now we know she's a badguy. 

Reign is a one season character but the casting for the daughter said that there was an option for her to become regular next season so I'm calling it if Reign doesn't survive the season, Alex is going to gain a brand new daughter.

The premise for the crossover is that Kara goes to the wedding with Alex so I guess everybody else on the SG side is excluded and SG will be once again the only show to not be fully integrated into the crossover, it's disappointing. maybe one day we'll have a crossover where the characters from earth 1 to earth 38.

As for the news about Mon-El/Saturn Girl, I really hope there's a twist and they are not really married, otherwise I don't  see a version where this story ends well without one or several characters being ruined by the writers.

• Love 3

but the casting for the daughter said that there was an option for her to become regular next season so I'm calling it if Reign doesn't survive the season, Alex is going to gain a brand new daughter.

The writers are clearly at least considering it and it shows their poor judgement. Who was asking for Alex to get a kid? A kid is just gonna soften whatever edge she has left and probably be used to at least partly replace her love life. Not that there hasn't been a little too much romance on the show but I don't like the double standard. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1

I don't know if I buy that the reason for this supposed breakup is about (or is all about) wanting kids or not. Neither Alex or Maggie seem at all like the type to want start a family in the near future (AKA the lifespan of this show).

8 minutes ago, Trini said:

I don't know if I buy that the reason for this supposed breakup is about (or is all about) wanting kids or not. Neither Alex or Maggie seem at all like the type to want start a family in the near future (AKA the lifespan of this show).

And certainly not after only a few months of marriage (although my father once told me that I was conceived only two months after my parents got married, but that was probably more of a surprise than something that they'd actually been planning on).  I could see Alex and Maggie wanting to start a family in a few years (say, right around Season 6 or thereabouts), but now? Probably not.  Heck, I don't think that even Kara will want to start a family once Mon-El returns (assuming that he's not already married and Kara is ready to commit to him full-time after being separated from him for so long), nor do I think viewers want to see her flying around National City, stopping bank robberies, handling natural or man-made disasters, or battling aliens when she's seven or eight months pregnant.

I don't think that they would ever write in a pregnancy for Supergirl unless the actress was pregnant in real life. And I get the vibe from Melissa that she is very interested in her career at the moment (like always trying to do side projects, on top of being the lead of Supergirl), so I doubt that will happen that soon. 

Also, if you have straight couples, it's a lot more easy to write a "pregnant by accident" kind of story, while with a lesbian, outside creepy villain stories, you usually have to have characters make the conscious decision. 

I also don't see either Alex or Maggie that way. I would have much preferred it if they had just written Alex getting freaked out by the wedding, too fast, too soon and Alex and Maggie agreeing that Alex needs some more life experiences with other partners maybe (mirror the doubts Maggie seemed to have when they started dating, that Alex would obsess over her because it's her first relationship). But, no, that would the characters and the relationship more flawed, so they would rather go with a fake feeling reason (for these characters) rather than admit that maybe the relationship wasn't 100% flawless from the start. 

What weirds me out is that Reign's kid is basically a teenager. It would be one thing if they did a story where Alex gets to hold a baby and it gets to her (yes, I can see that working even for a supposed to be tough character like Alex). But even if Alex had a kid, it's gonna be years till she would be as old as Reign's daughter. I still think the only potential I see at all in Reign's daughter is if she hated Kara/Supergirl, at least for a while. 

And I could write an entire essay on why the potential Mon-El/Saturn storyline is stupid and will just annoy almost everybody, regardless of whether they love or hate Mon-El and regardless of whether the aim of it is to just provide fake angst for karamel or whether the aim is to break up karamel. 

• Love 3

Episode 3.02 description:

"Triggers" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DV) (HDTV)

YAEL GROBGLAS ("JANE THE VIRGIN") GUEST STARS - Psi (guest star Yael Grobglas), a thief with psychic powers, attacks National City. Able to immobilize people by tapping into their worst fears, Psi proves a formidable opponent for Supergirl. Meanwhile, James (Mehcad Brooks) and Lena (Katie McGrath) are at an impasse, and Samantha starts her new job at L-Corp.

David McWhirter directed the episode written by Gabriel Llanas & Anna Musky-Goldwyn (#302).
Original airdate 10/16/2017.

Meanwhile, James (Mehcad Brooks) and Lena (Katie McGrath) are at an impasse

James and Lena scenes!

giphy.gif

• Love 3

My money is still on James/Reign being the new couple for James. But it was interesting that during Comic Con when they asked Mehcad about his new love interest he joked that she might be in the room already and put his arm around both Odette and Katie (admittedly, they were the ones sitting closest to him). 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 2

What's not stalker-y?

oh wait, you mean Lena, of Kara?  Hadn't thought of that actually.  I just thought I remembered that Lex bought the Daily Planet once, and so was going from there.  And also my wish that they'd replaced Cat with Lena instead of James, since they never really did much with James being the boss anyway.

Edited by Starfish35

In episode 1 Lena builds a statue of Kara and in episode 2 she potentially buys her place of business? I know they have their shippers, but that seems more creepy than cute to me. (and "Lex also did it" isn't really a point against that)

I realize that they want to tie Lena more to the other characters, but I wish they would come up with a more natural way. Some big business mogul buying  a newspaper isn't really the most attractive proposition in a real life context either. 

I also wouldn't have minded it if they had introduced Lena as the new owner of CatCo from the start, but now that she's actually friends with Kara, I kinda find it more icky. 

8 minutes ago, Trini said:

I guess they really are serious about going deep with Reign/Samantha. We haven't even met any of James' family.

All hail Reign, the queen of season 3 :) 

I do think something like that can work. I think Smallville also had seasons that were very centered around new characters like Oliver Queen and Davis. And Odette appears to be a good actress, so maybe their faith in her is justified. I was very surprised that apparently Alex runs into Reign so early. I would have expected her to interact with the human characters like James and Lena first and for the DEO characters to only notice her later into the story. But it appears she to get into the thick of things very quickly. 

I've heard publicist or bodyguard for Lena thrown around as theories. So that might pit Reign against Morgan Edge? 

The new CW interview has some hints about the new season, but mostly that he's been sworn to secrecy: 

How soon do we find out where he went and what he's been doing?
You know, sort of right away. Obviously, that's a central part of the story for Kara (Melissa Benoist), in terms of where he is and if she can get him back and all that. I can't say specifics on when he comes back, but there are some subtle hints that start coming in the first couple moments of the season opener, and they try to piece together what's going on. It sort of comes out of left field, his return, if you will.

Usually when superheroes go missing, it's never into a good place. They never disappear into paradise. It's always some hellhole.
Yeah, there is a long-standing history of that not being a great thing. He's going to be a very different Mon-El than what we saw last year, largely due to the whole mystery surrounding where he went and what he's been doing. It definitely affects him. He's been somewhere, doing something. [Laughs]

That is not vague at all!
But it's completely shrouded in mystery and they've sworn me to secrecy on specifics, but there's going to be a big change in him when he comes back, too, that worries the team.

Without giving anything away, have you been outfitted for a new costume this season?
Believe it or not, I had a costume last season that I did fittings for before we even started! It was built and ready to go, but the way that the story played out, I think that the producers felt that revealing the suit too early, when Mon-El was still figuring it out, wasn't going to be as impactful as getting him in a suit when he's actually had that heroic breakthrough. You know, when he's actually feeling, from his core, motivated to do good, as opposed to being told, "Hey, you should do good," right?

So there always has been a suit, and I can promise that there actually will be sightings of it this year. I wasn't lying last year when I said that there was a suit. It's just they changed it, and we just never saw it. It is around the corner.

TV Insider

• Love 1

Odette Interview: http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/04/supergirl-odette-annable-reign/ 

To me it doesn't really sound like Reign knows she has superpowers? 

What is it like playing both sides of her? Is it a split personality?
For right now, it’s her discovering. Clues are coming up and she’s slowly discovering that something is happening. That’s all that I know so far.

What’s it like playing that duality?
It’s interesting. The great thing about it is I’m discovering it with her. There aren’t any big reveals that are happening. It’s tiny little things that are really catching her eye and making her pay attention. It’s not something yet that she’s going to go to the cops over. It’s a very, very slow burn and all the pieces are starting to come together as we speak.

I'm curious about this comment about going to the cops. Could somebody who knows that she has superpowers be stalking her? (I assume it's not somebody from the Legion if Mon and Stargirl don't appear till episode 7). 

Yes, it's a cool way to keep her present on the show in a limited capacity despite the actress not wanting to be away from her home too much. And probably also a good way to not have to set things up with Lynda Carter. 

Following the events of the finale, Kara (Melissa Benoist) will take a dark turn in season 3, pushing aside her humanity in a bid to deal with the overwhelming loss she suffered by setting off the lead dispersal device. With Mon-El (Chris Wood) gone, Kara buries herself in work, much to the dismay of those around her.

“She’s really fragile at the top of the season, but only people closest to her will see that, because she’s almost solidified on the exterior and is really trying to push down whatever pain she’s felt about losing Mon-El,” Benoist tells EW. “In turn, she has made this massive decision to say goodbye to her humanity and really embrace being an alien. We hear her say quite a bit in the first five episodes, ‘I’m not a human, I come from a different planet, so this doesn’t apply to me.'”

Naturally, the loss of the bubbly and optimistic side of Kara Danvers will not sit well with those around her. “All of the friends, Alex included, are trying to help her through it, but she’s just shutting a lot of people out, as a lot of us do in real life,” Chyler Leigh says. “Alex does everything that she can to give space, but it comes to a head pretty quickly just because Alex is obviously very honest, and the two of them have such a great and supportive relationship.”

It’s especially difficult for Lena (Katie McGrath), who blames herself iforhelping to tweak the device that was created by her brother Lex. “What you’re seeing with Lena is the guilt of feeling that she is somehow responsible of ruining this great love of Kara’s,” McGrath says. “So while she’s feeling good that she saved the world, or helped save it, she feels very responsible that her best friend is hurting and she’s trying to, in a way, bring Kara back to the friendship that they had, [because] she’s lost that a bit.”

Kara may also find solace in her Kryptonian heritage, with Smallville‘s Erica Durance joining the show in a recast of Kara’s mother, Alura — which ostensibly means we’ll see much more of the character this season. “It is different,” Benoist says of the new dynamic. “I loved Laura Benanti, but Erica brings something really fun to it. I’ve only had a few things with her so far in hologram, and we’ll see her more often. That’s always a really touching experience for Kara, to be able to talk to her in any shape or form, so we’ll definitely see more of that.”

Kara also isn’t the only one struggling with what it means to be human at the top of the season. We’ll see new villain Reign discovering her lineage (more on that here), J’onn learning he’s not the last Green Martian with the introduction of his father (more on that here), and Alex figuring out what she wants in life in the lead-up to her wedding to Maggie (Floriana Lima). “When we come back, they’re in the process of planning the wedding,” Leigh says. “It becomes quite an uncomfortable position for Alex, because obviously when you’re planning a wedding, you’re talking about inviting family and one of the most important people to her is her dad, and he’s not going to be there. So for her it’s bittersweet. You see them work through quite a few things where you have your worlds colliding, where they’re continually learning new things about each other. For the first several episodes, Alex is figuring out more and more who she is, and what she wants.”

Supergirl cast previews Kara's dark turn in season 3

Looking forward to seeing the Alura hologram again!

Sneak Peek: 

Episode 3 summary: 

SUPERGIRL 3.03 “Far From the Tree”: Eliza (guest star Helen Slater) throws Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie (guest star Floriana Lima) a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to reach out to her estranged father (guest star Carlos Bernard). Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) joins J’onn (David Harewood) on a personal mission. Dermott Downs directed the episode written by Jessica Queller & Derek Simon.

http://www.thetvaddict.com/2017/10/06/the-cw-teasers-a-familiar-face-on-supernatural-bad-luck-on-the-flash-taking-a-stand-on-riverdale-and-more/

• Love 1
20 hours ago, tofutan said:

“She’s really fragile at the top of the season, but only people closest to her will see that, because she’s almost solidified on the exterior and is really trying to push down whatever pain she’s felt about losing Mon-El,” Benoist tells EW. “In turn, she has made this massive decision to say goodbye to her humanity and really embrace being an alien. We hear her say quite a bit in the first five episodes, ‘I’m not a human, I come from a different planet, so this doesn’t apply to me.'”

I'm not saying this "dark" arc for Kara is necessarily a bad thing; I'm just not really looking forward to it. "Dark and broody" is overdone these days.

And it seems like maybe Kara quits CatCo? Ugh - I hate that the Berlanti-verse doesn't value civilian jobs. I fear for that CatCo set.

Alex's wedding/marriage is so rushed; but maybe that's the point...

Sneak Peek: 

Oh, I hate this guy already... good job Pasdar! ?

----------

Photos for 3.02 are out, and Samantha having her own set is another confirmation that  her story is important this season:

spg302a_0052b.jpg

spg302_sg_0132056b.jpg

Edited by Trini

Sneak Peek: 

19 minutes ago, Trini said:

Oh, I hate this guy already... good job Pasdar! ?

Ditto.  I loved seeing Lena doing a slow burn as he kept twisting the knife.  I really don't think she's going to go dark herself anytime soon -- not while THIS guy's around to keep reminding her that her mother and her brother are exactly what she DOESN'T want to become!

• Love 1

I was really surprised when I saw the Reign and her daughter picture. Odette talked so much about how being a single mom defined Reign, I just kind of assume that "struggling" single mom was implied. So the kitchen looking this, well, nice, surprised me. But I guess more power to Reign if as a teenager she didn't just fend on her own for herself and her daughter but also got enough education to get a really nice job (yes, I know the Arrowverse has a long history of apartments that look way beyond what are supposed to be the means of the character, still I still think Reign's place looks like it's supposed to be a middle class level set within the warped standards of the Arrowverse). 

I'm not sure how dark Kara will really be. Maybe it will be more nuanced, where Kara decides to still be nice to people but just let "the alien hang out" on occasion? 

It still boggles my mind that they genuinely might go for "wants kids" conflict for Sanvers rather than a "this is going too fast for either Maggie or Alex" conflict. I guess because if it was just going to fast it would make more sense for them to call off the wedding, but still stay together a couple? 

3 hours ago, Trini said:

I'm not saying this "dark" arc for Kara is necessarily a bad thing; I'm just not really looking forward to it. "Dark and broody" is overdone these days.

And it seems like maybe Kara quits CatCo? Ugh - I hate that the Berlanti-verse doesn't value civilian jobs. I fear for that CatCo set.

Alex's wedding/marriage is so rushed; but maybe that's the point...

Mehcad says that he's barely done any Guardian stuff so far so I think there will be a lot of CatCo this season. 

I think so too. They also said something about James and his investigative photographer roots or something like that. And we know that 3x05 has a big scene that seems CatCo related. In the comics Morgan Edge was also involved in media. 

We will also probably see quite a lot of Reign in her civilian job because Odette said that she hasn't shot any fighting stuff. 

I've heard publicist/PR person thrown around in regards to theories to what Reign's job could be, or like chief of security. But she doesn't look like she jumps into action when somebody shoots at Lena and having to do something with PR would make it easier for them to tie Reign to the CatCo characters. 

Do we know whether Snapper is officially gone this season? I read some stuff about the actor being on another show. 

I was really surprised to read this

The legacy casting has been so fun. Are there any other people you want to try to get on at some point?

We love having them on and so whenever a new character comes up, we think about if there’s somebody that’s been involved in the DC Universe that could play that part. But besides Erica and the ones we have, like Helen Slater, who continue on the show, we don’t really have any other plans at the present. We love it, and we think the fans love it. We love seeing people that we know and are familiar with step into other roles. And what’s great about them is that they’re all wonderful actors as well. So, you get the excitement of seeing them in the new role but they also bring a lot when they take on these new characters.

Over on the Arrow board. https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/how-arrow-the-flash-supergirl-legends-of-tomorrow-save-the-day-in-2017/

So, what about Jeremiah Danvers? Do they just give up on looking for him? I haven't heard anything about Brenda Strong shooting for season 3 so far, so is Cadmus just gone? 

• Love 1

- I'm not sure if it's a spoiler or just a good fan theory based on the little tidbits on this season but I read that Morgan Edge wants to buy Catco and Lena's big move in the premiere is to save it from Edge which works with the synopsis for the second episode where Lena and James have problems. Add to that that Sam/Reign who will work Lena and it's clear that they are trying to make Catco more relevant this season by tying several of the main characters to the place.

- Of course Psi wears an all black leather outfit, don't change costume department of the arrowverse                   

19 hours ago, tofutan said:

So, what about Jeremiah Danvers? Do they just give up on looking for him? I haven't heard anything about Brenda Strong shooting for season 3 so far, so is Cadmus just gone? 

I'm sure Cadmus will be back, they're not going to give up on the relationship between Lena and Lilian, as for Jeremiah I wonder if Dean Cain's real life politics cause problems with the producers.

6 hours ago, Iceman91 said:

https://superbromovies.com/2017/10/12/first-look-at-melissa-benoist-as-overgirl-on-set-of-arrowverse-crossover/

first image of Melissa or her stunt double as Overgirl

if you check twitter you will also see plenty of pictures of Kara and Alex in their dress for the westallen wedding and pictures of Alex with Sara probably after their drunken hookup

Please tell me this is speculation and doesn't actually happen.