Type keyword(s) to search

She's Superman's Cousin!: And Other Supergirl Spoilers

• Start Topic

6.14 synopsis:

"Magical Thinking" -

LENA MUST ACCEPT HER NEWFOUND POWERS IN ORDER TO HELP THE SUPER FRIENDS -

Lena (Katie McGrath) is uncertain about using her magical abilities to help Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) retrieve the second totem from Nyxly (Peta Sergeant). William (Staz Nair) struggles to write a story on the Super Friends that makes both the heroes and Andrea (Julie Gonzalo) happy. Meanwhile, Kelly (Azie Tesfai) is thrilled Esme (guest star Mila Jones) has found a new home, but things go awry and the little girl's future is put in danger.

The episode was directed by Simon Burnett and written by Karen. E. Maser & Derek Simon (#614). Original airdate 10/5/2021.

-----

I am shocked - SHOCKED - that Lena has magic powers!

Not that the "science" on this show isn't already magical, but turning Lena - whose scientist role has been very important to her character - into a magic wielder is just weird.

• Love 2

From EW: https://ew.com/tv/supergirl-kelly-diggle-blind-spots-sneak-peek/

"My favorite — and I don't want to speak for Ramsey, but I feel like it's probably one of his favorites too — is the last scene of the episode between Alex and Kelly," Tesfai said. "We don't resolve everything in the way that you can't, but we do open a can of worms and a conversation and hopefully create some healthy conversations for people to look at between two intimate partners in an interracial relationship. It's something that comes up till the [series] finale. It brings them closer together, but it's an ongoing conversation. It ends up being the first step in them really looking at what their future looks like in a real permanent way."

Hope for the Diggle-as-Green-Lantern fans:

"We just have a moment at the end where we touch on it one more time. This isn't over," Ramsey said. "I think what was important about this and smart from the writers was to tell this story of someone like Diggle, who is such a mentor and such homegrown hero, if you will, that whatever the invitation [in the glowing green box] was — if we remember the story behind Diggle, he had just gotten his wife back, just got Sara back, who disappeared from Flashpoint — that it made sense for him not to accept it immediately, and we wanted to tell that story. This is the last piece of that story. You will see Diggle again after Supergirl, and when you do, we will continue that storytelling."

57 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

The showunners talked with The Wrap. They revealed that there will be a romance between Lex and Nyxly. Why?

Are they seriously going to make me sit through a "romance" involving Lex while Kara spends the third* straight (and the last) season single??

tumblr_ow429oVQQ11t3844co3_500.gifv

*(technically, the fourth)

1 hour ago, Oreo2234 said:

They also talked with Entertainment Weekly and discussed Lex, Nyxly, Lena and the totems. 

The decision to make Lena a witch "came up organically" as the writers' room was breaking season 6's story, Queller recalls.

LOL - "organically"; as if Lena wasn't the last character left without powers or a supersuit? (No, irrelevant William doesn't count.)

• Love 2
On 9/27/2021 at 7:18 PM, Trini said:

Are they seriously going to make me sit through a "romance" involving Lex while Kara spends the third* straight (and the last) season single??

tumblr_ow429oVQQ11t3844co3_500.gifv

*(technically, the fourth)

LOL - "organically"; as if Lena wasn't the last character left without powers or a supersuit? (No, irrelevant William doesn't count.)

I was going to say that Andrea doesn't, but then I got reminded from reading the article that she had/has shadow powers of some sort, right.

I have no doubt if the series were to have another season, William would have gotten a suit and we'd see the return of Cat Grant as the Pink Cougar or something. 

I hope that they do not shoehorn a romance between Kara and William. Yes, he had a girlfriend but they can break up. Part of me hopes that they simply go there and have Kara date Lena.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 1
On 10/1/2021 at 8:07 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Part of me hopes that they simply go there and have Kara date Lena.

Isn't it enough that we already have Alex and Kelly as a lesbian couple, along with Sarah and Ava as a newly married lesbian couple on Legends of Tomorrow and Ryan Wilder and the Lesbian of the Week over on Batwoman? What is this continuing obsession with turning Kara and Lena into a lesbian couple, too?

(NOTE: As a gay man myself, I am NOT against showing same-sex couples. I just don't care for the idea of forcing them into existence, particularly with characters who have heretofore never shown even one bit of evidence of being oriented that way just to tick a particular box or to appease a very small --albeit VOCAL-- minority of shippers. It would be like having Superman dump Lois for William!)

1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

Isn't it enough that we already have Alex and Kelly as a lesbian couple, along with Sarah and Ava as a newly married lesbian couple on Legends of Tomorrow and Ryan Wilder and the Lesbian of the Week over on Batwoman? What is this continuing obsession with turning Kara and Lena into a lesbian couple, too?

(NOTE: As a gay man myself, I am NOT against showing same-sex couples. I just don't care for the idea of forcing them into existence, particularly with characters who have heretofore never shown even one bit of evidence of being oriented that way just to tick a particular box or to appease a very small --albeit VOCAL-- minority of shippers. It would be like having Superman dump Lois for William!)

Unlike Alex and Kelly and Sarah and Ava (and various heterosexual couples in the Arrowverse), Melissa and Katie have chemistry and the attraction between the characters makes sense to me based on what has been shown on screen and the respective characters' history.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Unlike Alex and Kelly and Sarah and Ava (and various heterosexual couples in the Arrowverse), Melissa and Katie have chemistry and the attraction between the characters makes sense to me based on what has been shown on screen and the respective characters' history.

I respectfully disagree. Not everyone has to be linked up romantically just because they have "chemistry."  Hasn't it been argued repeatedly regarding straight men and women that they CAN just be platonic friends (and I don't mean "friends with benefits") despite having "chemistry"? Why wouldn't that argument apply to Kara and Lena, too?

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Isn't it enough that we already have Alex and Kelly as a lesbian couple, along with Sarah and Ava as a newly married lesbian couple on Legends of Tomorrow and Ryan Wilder and the Lesbian of the Week over on Batwoman?

What do Sara/Ava and Ryan have to do with Supergirl? They are completely different shows. Imagine if someone said The Flash could get rid of Iris because there are black women on Supergirl and Batwoman. Would that make any sense?

2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Hasn't it been argued repeatedly regarding straight men and women that they CAN just be platonic friends (and I don't mean "friends with benefits") despite having "chemistry"?

This argument is based on the fact that in TV and movies it became a cliche that a man and a women who were friends would eventually hook up. Plus male/female platonic friendships are less common in media. None of that applies to female friendships.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:18 PM, Trini said:

To be fair, pretty much all of Kara’s romance’s have been written badly. I swear her interactions with guys improves after they break-up. YMMV.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:18 PM, Trini said:

The decision to make Lena a witch "came up organically" as the writers' room was breaking season 6's story, Queller recalls.

I’m assuming this means someone binge watched Merlin over the hiatus and they figured they’d work it into the story.

• Love 2

I understand why Kara/Lena appeals to people. Melissa Benoist and Katie McGrath have nice chemistry but I think its too late to go in a romantic direction with their relationship. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I respectfully disagree. Not everyone has to be linked up romantically just because they have "chemistry."  Hasn't it been argued repeatedly regarding straight men and women that they CAN just be platonic friends (and I don't mean "friends with benefits") despite having "chemistry"? Why wouldn't that argument apply to Kara and Lena, too?

No one is saying everyone, or anyone, has to be linked up. 

I am saying that Lena and Kara have chemistry and Lena was acting a lot more like a lover scorned at the supposed betrayal of Kara not trusting her. Some others agree, some obviously don't.

I am saying that I would like Kara to get a happily ever after romance to wrap up this show, and of the people currently on the show, Lena is really the only plausible alternative that would work for me personally. They may try to revisit William/Kara but I hope not. Every other current regular is in a relationship with someone else except for Andrea, and that would obviously not make sense. I suppose that in the finale, they could bring back a past love interest like Winn, Jimmy or Mon-El, and I think that's a fair possibility. But none of those relationships had the chemistry IMO as Kara and Lena.

As to the argument about men and women just being platonic friends, it's been a while since I've seen "When Harry Met Sally," but it seems like that movie did come down on Harry's side of the argument that hetero men and women can't truly be friends. 

Regardless of how one comes down on the broader argument, it has little to do with whether Kara and Lena do or don't have romantic feelings for each other.

7 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

I understand why Kara/Lena appeals to people. Melissa Benoist and Katie McGrath have nice chemistry but I think its too late to go in a romantic direction with their relationship. 

This is probably true on top of TPTB not wanting to have Kara be queer. At the same time, as the spoiler above mentioned, they are willing to have a Lex/Nxyly romance subplot even though the two have never met and have nothing in common beyond enjoying being pains-in-asses. They probably will throw together a late romance for Kara with someone. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

To be fair, pretty much all of Kara’s romance’s have been written badly. I swear her interactions with guys improves after they break-up. YMMV.

Fair point - but I don't see that as a valid reason for her not to have a love life, when other lead superheroes are NEVER alone this long. That doesn't mean I want her randomly paired up with someone just so Kara is part of a couple before the show ends, either. But this was an issue before this final season.

I don't think they'll go back to William/Kara -- the writers were afraid to commit to that last season, and then they shut it down as soon as Kara came back.

1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:
8 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

This is probably true on top of TPTB not wanting to have Kara be queer. ...

I'm not in favor of Kara/Lena; but if TPTB want to go there (they don't, though) I think there's enough time to throw in a last minute tease.

Also - personal opinion time - I don't think they're going to reward certain vocal fans who have been nasty about anything outside of Kara/Lena/Melissa/Katie.

And I don't know how much of an issue this actually is, but would DC have to approve a House of El/Luthor pairing?

It's the love totem episode!

6.17 synopsis:

"I Believe In A Thing Called Love" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV- PG, V) (HDTV)

LEX RETURNS - When Lex Luthor (guest star Jon Cryer) appears by Nyxly's (Peta Sergeant) side, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and team must deal with the emotional fallout of facing their two biggest foes at the same time. Alex (Chyler Leigh) makes plans for the perfect proposal to Kelly (Azie Tesfai), but work keeps getting in the way.

The episode was directed by Jesse Warn and written by Dana Horgan & Nicki Holcomb (#617). Original airdate 10/26/2021.

----

Maybe this Nyxly/Lex "romance" is brought on by the totem, and it's not real?

• Useful 1

Maybe this Nyxly/Lex "romance" is brought on by the totem, and it's not real?

That would make more sense than Lex and Nyxly having a real romance. 

Comicbook.com  has the synopsis for both the penultimate episode and the series finale. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Useful 1

Last two synopses: 😭

"The Last Gauntlet" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV- PG, V) (HDTV)

THE PENULTIMATE EPISODE KICKS OFF THE TWO-HOUR FINALE FOR "SUPERGIRL" - In the penultimate buildup to the season finale, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and the super friends take drastic action after a loved one is kidnapped by Nyxly (Peta Sergeant) and Lex (guest star Jon Cryer). An unlikely ally steps in to help the team.

The episode was directed by Glen Winter with story by J. Holtham and teleplay by Derek Simon & Jay Faerber (#619). Original airdate 11/9/2021.

So who do we think gets kidnapped? It needs to be literally anyone but Esme!

I'm guessing the "unlikely ally" is one of the legion from the future? Orrr... Andrea? (In her powered up form)

"Kara" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV- PG, LV) (HDTV)

THE EPIC SERIES FINALE BRINGS BACK FAMILIAR FACES AND FEATURES A BEAUTIFUL WEDDING - In the epic series finale, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) is joined by familiar faces from the past to help her stop Lex (guest star Jon Cryer) and Nyxly (Peta Sergeant) for good. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Kelly (Azie Tesfai) prepare to walk down the aisle.

Mehcad Brooks, Jeremy Jordan and Chris Wood return for the series finale.

The episode was directed by Jesse Warn with story by Robert Rovner & Jessica Queller and teleplay by Rob Wright & Derek Simon (#620). Original airdate 11/9/2021.

If they send Kara off to the future in the finale, I think they might just pair her up with Mon-El (or hint at it).

But my preference - if she has to go anywhere - is having Kara go live with her parents on Argo.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

So who do we think gets kidnapped? It needs to be literally anyone but Esme!

I don't disagree with you, but I think there is a very high chance that it is Esme 🤷‍♀️

14 hours ago, Trini said:

If they send Kara off to the future in the finale, I think they might just pair her up with Mon-El (or hint at it).

But my preference - if she has to go anywhere - is having Kara go live with her parents on Argo.

They really can't afford to do that now.  You can't double down on your promise to fight for social justice and a better tomorrow and then peace out to the future for an extended period because that's the only way to be with the guy you like.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:21 PM, secnarf said:

I don't disagree with you, but I think there is a very high chance that it is Esme 🤷‍♀️

Nooooooooooooooooo....!!!

14 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

They really can't afford to do that now.  You can't double down on your promise to fight for social justice and a better tomorrow and then peace out to the future for an extended period because that's the only way to be with the guy you like.

They're going to send her off somehow; but I don't think it will be because of Mon-El. He'll just be the most logical choice for a love interest if she goes to the future. Of course, I'm assuming that they will pair her up with someone (or suggest it); they might not.

So... they're going to resurrect William with time travel shenanigans, right? (Or magic??) Staz was there for the last days of filming so we know he's in the final episodes.  But even without that, I don't think they'll want to end the show with Kara feeling guilty about a death .

23 hours ago, Trini said:

So... they're going to resurrect William with time travel shenanigans, right? (Or magic??) Staz was there for the last days of filming so we know he's in the final episodes.  But even without that, I don't think they'll want to end the show with Kara feeling guilty about a death .

A real possibility. Given that weakened Nyxly was still able to bring back Mama Dreamer for 24-hours after she was long dead, it's certainly possible that her magic, Mxy's magic (presumably he gets freed at the end of all this), or even a level up in Lena's magic could bring William back.

Then there's the time travel stuff as you pointed out.

And there's the possible construction of the Allstone before it gets destroyed.

I really hope they don't go that route, though.

4 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

A real possibility. ...

It's not looking so good.  😢  I just don't like that now is the time they decide Supergirl is that type of show.  Yes, people have died before, but having one of the regulars who is Kara's friend get straight murdered feels different.

-------

Anyway, photos for the two final episodes are out; lots of wedding pics!

https://supergirl.tv/supergirl-series-finale-galleries

• Love 1

I assume Williams funeral comes at the beginning of the finale. It would be a downer if they did it after the wedding.

Lena's makeup/outfit at the wedding looks a little out of place.

The Wrap has a a slightly amusing article with Azie Tesfai on the difficulties of filming kissing scenes in super suits. Though I don't remember Alex and Kelly sharing a scene like that so unless it hasn't aired yet it must have got cut. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1