Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/16/2018 at 3:07 PM, TVFan17 said:

This isn't what I was coming here to post about, but I just wanted to throw in that this year's Winterfest is turning out to be a winner for me (so far).  I stand firm in my belief that Love on the Slopes is an entertaining, sweet movie with a solid message (plus fabulous scenery and a great final shot/scene!), and I also really enjoyed Frozen in Love.  This, of course, makes me worry about the next two movies and whether or not they will be good, but, for me, the first two are movies I will happily watch again.

Okay, to address the Flower Shop Mysteries (which were mentioned above), yes... that is definitely over.  Brennan Elliott said (back in the summer) that only 3 would be made.  Not only that, but Brooke Shields has disappeared from all Hallmark functions, series and movies (she was supposed to have done a Christmas movie in 2016, and it never happened).  She doesn't seem to be in the family anymore.  No one knows for sure why Flower Shop fell through (the original plan was to make a lot of movies), but I guess something didn't work out,  and Hallmark and Brooke parted ways.

As for Murder She Baked... Nothing has been mentioned about more movies since the last new MSB movie premiered in 2017.   Alison Sweeney said (a few months ago) that there were no plans for any new movies "right now" -- and she also indicated she has other projects in the works.   At least Alison is still very much involved with Hallmark and is in the family (as are Cameron Mathison and Barbara Niven), so there is always a chance MSB could be revived at a later time.

The same goes for Gourmet Detective.  Dylan Neal and Brooke Burns are also still very connected to Hallmark, so -- although nothing has been announced about more GD movies -- I wouldn't rule it out forever.  I can picture some sort of scenario in which it returns in another year or so, or Just as an occasional movie once in a blue moon.

At Hallmark's  TCA presentation and party on Saturday night, which is where all of the news about the 2018 mystery series came from, there were some other interesting bits of info that were not included in press releases, but were instead revealed on Twitter by some of the entertainment journalists/critics/media in attendance, or by actors on the red carpet or at the party.  I will name some of them:

• The June Weddings event is expected to consist of ALL sequels to previous Hallmark movies (I have my doubts about this 'all sequels' gimmick, IF it actually plays out that way).   These are most likely (subject to change) going to include:  The Perfect Bride 2 (w/ Kavan Smith and Pascale Hutton);   Marrying Mr. Darcy (sequel to Unleashing Mr. Darcy, w/ Ryan Paevey and Cindy Busby);  Wedding in the Vineyard (second sequel to Autumn in the Vineyard, w/ Rachael Leigh Cook and Brendan Penny); and a sequel to 2016's Summer of Dreams, starring Debbie Gibson.  (However, back in November, Autumn Reeser indicated her next Hallmark movie would have a wedding in it, so I wonder if that could be a sequel of some sort too?).
  • Andrew Walker is supposedly going to do a new Spring movie, with the working title of Flip Flop.
  • Country star Kix Brooks' movie, Home Sweet Home, is filming in Louisiana very soon.
  • The sequel to JL Ranch (with Jon Voight, James Caan, Teri Polo and Trevor Donovan) is filming in Kentucky very soon.
  • Peter Porte's and Amanda Schull's movie, which is filming now, is called Love Once and Always, and will air in early March.
  • Alexa and Carlos PenaVega are going to do a cruise ship-themed movie, tentatively titled Love on the Lido Deck.
  • Steven R. McQueen is going to star in a new movie
  • The second sequel to The Wedding March (called Here Comes the Bride), with Josie Bissett and Jack Wagner, is premiering on February 17th, even though it is Valentine-themed.
  • Bethany Joy Lenz's and Will Kemp's Romanian-filmed royal movie, Royal Matchmaker, is premiering on either March 24th or March 25th.
  • Cindy Busby's and Andrew Cooper's royal movie (directed by co-star James Brolin), also filmed in Romania, is tentatively titled A Royal Romance (although I just saw a potential new title for it a couple of days ago), and it is premiering on February 24th.
  • There is another Darrow and Darrow movie coming up, and at least two more Aurora Teagarden movies, but neither was mentioned on Saturday night, for some reason.
  • The Beach House, a Hall of Fame movie starring Andie MacDowell, Minka Kelly and Chad Michael Murray, is premiering in either April or May.
  • This was not announced by anyone on Saturday night, but it was recently suggested by director David Winning that the second sequel to Finding Father Christmas (starring Erin Krakow and Niall Matter) would be filming "next month."

And... if all of that is not enough... another bit of news that was not announced on Saturday night is that Lacey Chabert is now in South Africa... about to film a Hallmark movie.   Hallmark has branched out to a new location!

I could never understand how the Flower Shop series got more than one movie, but the Wedding Planner seemed to only have one?  I thought that one had a little more promise. 

I don't watch a lot of the romantic movies, mostly the mysteries  I personally feel that Yannick Bisson's character was not given enough to do and they did not show his ex spy side well.  I still think, however, they should have altered the books and kept him around.....they alter them anyway.  Robin is not a compelling love interest.   

Darrow and Darrow and Emma Fielding are both boring to me and they would be better served with more Garage Sale. I can tolerate the Nancy Grace series only because of Kellie Martin, and that one is still iffy. 

I think it is sad how little they have minorities in these movies other than the "good friend," or the person who gets killed, but I could not make it through more than 15 minutes of the Al Roker/Holly Robinson Mystery.   I never read Auorora Teagarden but I am disappointed the author went back to Robin. 

The Gourmet Detective I don't care about one way or the other. I don't care for the male lead as much as the female lead. 

I'd like to see Andrew Walker in one of the mystery series.  Did I mention how boring Emma Fielding is? 

• Love 1

In watching Royal Hearts, I have to wonder if James Brolin is low on cash or what.  I mean....it was fine, but...???

I will say that my heart was happy to see the male lead. I couldn't remember where I saw him last and then remembered that he played/plays 'Beck' in [aptly] the Royals.  I'm a fan.

I'm sort of new to the Hallmark Movies page here, but am glad to see a comment on it today.  I thought it was a cut above some of the others I've watched in the last couple of weeks, a pretty unique plot and really fun settings - the castle and all the interiors were pretty great.  

On the Hallmark web site there are a few interviews with the principals (as y'all certainly have known all along) --  It was interesting to see James Brolin's actually, and it gave a pretty good idea of why he took the project on.  He just really enjoys, evidently, running a big and complex undertaking like this and being in charge of the whole thing.   Don't know how many opportunities to do that there are -- to be in charge of an entire movie, even a Hallmark one, and why not take the opportunity to travel to Europe on their dime, make all the artistic decisions, and act a lead role as well.  It seemed as if he was having fun on all fronts.

I enjoyed the whole thing a lot, really.  And, I also did like Andrew Cooper, I think it was ?  His acting resume' is pretty light, but he did good.

• Love 1

Royal Hearts had a sense of nostalgia about it for me and I don't know why.  It felt like something I would have watched when I was a kid.  It was a decent movie.  I especially liked the scenery.  I don't mind Vancouver or Montreal subbing for various other locations but Romania offered a nice change of pace.  I liked the stars too even though I was rather meh on the love story.  But that wasn't the main point of the story so thankfully I didn't feel as if it dragged the movie down.

Speaking of decent movies, or decentish, I thought The Wedding March 3 was an improvement over The Wedding March 2.  It felt less like a reset and more like a progression.

Royal Hearts was decent, but had the potential to be really good if the scenes were smoother and the dialogue wasn't so clunky at times. I liked that the premise was different and there was no royal hottie falling in love with a commoner. Andrew Cooper was very good and hope he’s in more movies. The chemistry was nice between the leads as well, but the ending seemed so rushed and their last scene was weird. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ehall1052 said:

The castle in Royal Hearts looked like the same castle in Danica McKeller’s Christmas movie from a couple of years ago (forgot the name of the movie).

Crowned for Christmas.  Yes, I thought the court yard was from that movie too.

28 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Crowned for Christmas.  Yes, I thought the court yard was from that movie too.

They are all filmed at the same locations in Romania

Speaking of the same castle, or interiors, I thought that the Throne Room they used in "Royal Hearts" much resembled the one used for the coronation in "Royal Winter" (which re-played this morning), and on seeing that again I realized it is the same room.  Once you get acquainted in Romania, you can do that - maybe they got a bulk discount for going there twice.  (Or, maybe oftener?  Will have to keep an eye out.)   Maybe the thing to watch out for is sites they *haven't* used before!  It looks like a beautiful country, at least in parts.

The ballroom and a couple other rooms used in "Royal Hearts" were also used in Lacey Chabert's "A Royal Christmas".  Location spotting was one of the most fun things about the movie for me.  And I can't believe I didn't recognize the courtyard from "Crown for Christmas", I love that movie.   This one was ok, but Cindy Busby's character wore thin (and I usually like her).  I thought the whole thing was a bit more nonsensical than these things usually are.  The outdoor locations were gorgeous, though.

• Love 2
(edited)

Finally watching Unleashing Mr Darcy and I’m surprised how non-wooden Ryan Peavy is in this compared to General Hospital. I preferred him to his lead, and he looked extra good looking in the movie (especially him in a bathing suit- yowza). I like the actress but her character was annoying and combative at the beginning for absolutely no reason. She got better and I ended up liking the movie, but her attitude at first was unnecessary. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
On 3/5/2018 at 12:18 AM, twoods said:

Finally watching Unleashing Mr Darcy and I’m surprised how non-wooden Ryan Peavy is in this compared to General Hospital. I preferred him to his lead, and he looked extra good looking in the movie (especially him in a bathing suit- yowza). I like the actress but her character was annoying and combative at the beginning for absolutely no reason. She got better and I ended up liking the movie, but her attitude at first was unnecessary. 

I though he was wooden innthat movie too and I didn't like the way the dialogue was even though it was set in modern times. The leading was more annoying than him but they were both pretty bad.

• Love 1

Woo-hoo! Two hours of Colin Ferguson this coming Sunday! Or, as people not madly in love with him probably think of it, another Fixer-Upper movie comes to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries this Sunday. 

But he comes with two hours of Jewel. It's a dilemma.

• Love 2

Apparently Hallmark is saving all the new "Garage Sale" mysteries for August again, when they'll show one a week. I really wish they would spread them out throughout the year instead of jamming them all in one month. I don't understand the point, & I would rather see one movie every 3 months than 4 movies in one month.

(edited)
11 hours ago, beadgirl said:

Agreed, but I sat through two hours of Lake Placid 3--a definite contender for the worst movie ever made--for the man. And I watched the 10 or so Cedar Cove episodes he appeared in. Include the last two Fixer Uppers and I'm now pretty much made of equal parts adamantium and vibranium when it comes to deflecting his bad co-stars.  

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

The new Aurora Teagarden movie is called "Reap What You Sew" and premieres April 15th.

Internet sensation and old family friend of Aurora Teagarden, Poppy Wilson, has returned to Lawrenceton to start her new embroidery business. But not everybody is happy with Poppy's success when she turns up dead. To find the killer, Roe must follow the unsettling truths that lead her into the path of the killer.

It looks like it somewhat follows Book #8 called "Poppy Done to Death," which immediately follows "Last Scene Alive." Hopefully the movie includes Robin, like the book. I just can't stand Martin.

1 hour ago, Shorty186 said:

It looks like it somewhat follows Book #8 called "Poppy Done to Death," which immediately follows "Last Scene Alive." Hopefully the movie includes Robin, like the book. I just can't stand Martin.

Spoiler

If it follows the books you'll get your wish because Martin dies in the books.

On 3/4/2018 at 12:02 PM, JenMD said:

The ballroom and a couple other rooms used in "Royal Hearts" were also used in Lacey Chabert's "A Royal Christmas".  Location spotting was one of the most fun things about the movie for me.  And I can't believe I didn't recognize the courtyard from "Crown for Christmas", I love that movie.   This one was ok, but Cindy Busby's character wore thin (and I usually like her).  I thought the whole thing was a bit more nonsensical than these things usually are.  The outdoor locations were gorgeous, though.

I agree. Royal Hearts was kind of ruined for me by the lead character being so unrelentingly unpleasant. I couldn’t understand why the shepherd had any interest in her. I loved the on location stuff though. Shooting somewhere like that really elevates the final product.  

I also watched the Andrew Walker Valentine’s Day movie which was ok. The couple seemed like a bit of a mismatch. I thought it was funny that they used a young actress/model for Lacey Chabert’s “childhood” photos. There must be thousands of pictures of the actress at that age. 

I liked the Holly Robinson mystery movie well enough. I prefer the mystery movies anyway, and I hope they make more of these. (And others with women of color in the starring roles.) 

• Love 1

Looks like there is a sequel to "Unleashing Mr. Darcy" and it will come out in June as "Marrying Mr. Darcy."  

I'm glad to see some sequels being made, I do wonder if this is one that needed it though.  It also explains why they've stopped epilogues on most of the movies.

I finally watched "Cooking With Love" this afternoon--and I loved it! Whoever said this was one of the best movies this year is so right. What amazed me the most was how much I liked Brett Dalton in the movie, since as a former "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." watcher--well, eww, it's Ward. But he was good, and so was Ali Liebert, and I thought they had smoking chemistry. And no misunderstandings that could be cleared up with just a few words of conversation, thank goodness. On the wildly swinging "Hallmark movies--good to bad" scale, this is way up toward the "Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade" and "Love on the Air" high side.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, kirinan said:

I finally watched "Cooking With Love" this afternoon--and I loved it!

Me too! It was a really nice little movie, and I totally bought the storyline, which meant my eyeballs aren't hurting from the usual eyerolls!

• Love 2
On 3/7/2018 at 7:57 AM, beadgirl said:

I have to say, I don’t find Jewel too bad in these Fixer Upper movies. She’s far from mind-blowing as an actress, but she’s not offensively terrible, and I do notice some improvement in each one. And it helps when they don’t have her sing (it takes very little to get a certain overplayed hit song from the 90s back in my head).

On 3/7/2018 at 7:16 PM, kirinan said:

Agreed, but I sat through two hours of Lake Placid 3--a definite contender for the worst movie ever made--for the man. And I watched the 10 or so Cedar Cove episodes he appeared in. Include the last two Fixer Uppers and I'm now pretty much made of equal parts adamantium and vibranium when it comes to deflecting his bad co-stars.  

My hat is off to you Kirinan - I love me some Colin Ferguson too but there is no force in this world that could make me sit through a sci-fi orginal mess, I mean movie. How he’s not starring on a show somewhere, anywhere, is beyond me.

• Love 1

Love, Once and Always was decent. I like Peter Porte and Amanda Schull and they had pretty good chemistry, but the plot line was a little boring. I’m still waiting for Amanda to be in a Hallmark ballet themed movie.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I have to say, I don’t find Jewel too bad in these Fixer Upper movies.

I usually do but I did find her much better in tonight's movie.  I still don't know if I loved the plot but she was much better.

46 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I love me some Colin Ferguson too but there is no force in this world that could make me sit through a sci-fi orginal mess

He got to show a fun and different side on You're The Worst the past season which, if y'all are as big of Colin Ferguson fans and you say you are, you likely already know.  But for those who don't know---

6 minutes ago, twoods said:

I like Peter Porte and Amanda Schull and they had pretty good chemistry, but the plot line was a little boring.

That's where I am.  I liked the stars.  The plot was boring.  Sometimes my like of the stars can overcome plot but not in this instance.

• Love 2

I thought the Love, Once and Always movie was for the birds. Boring. The dude should've gone for the lawyer because the other girl had no personality and apparently could only style her hair in one way with the same two clips. Plus her sllllllooooowwww walk to the the plane and the airport was laughable.

• Love 4

Love, Once and Always was meh. I actually thought the actors were pretty boring with zero chemistry. The woman had a very stilted way of acting - slow to respond and smile and the guy looked too much like an old ex-boyfriend of mine to be taken seriously. (He was an out-of-work aspiring actor with no job. God bless him he is now a stay-at-home dad to three girls while his wife works because of course he is) I couldn’t get past it nor that everyone knew and loved her when she was only a seasonal visitor. Weak.

• Love 3

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, did anybody else watch the new Fixer Upper movie, Deadly Deed? I finally got around to watching it tonight, & it was just meh. Jewel's hair at least looked normal, but they just had to have her randomly playing a guitar for 30 seconds just so we don't forget she's a singer. The plot was forgettable, but they did have a mean bank president named Mr Potter, so I guess someone is a "It's a Wonderful Life" fan. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, sistersledge said:

The Sweetest Heart - eh... I can’t with this dweeby lead male and his swoopy hair. The investment banker was way hotter and not such a wanker.

And I had the opposite reaction to the two males, while attractive the banker left me cold. I preferred the doctor. 

I liked the three couples and that the drama was with the past and the future. There was no real drama with the banker 

• Love 2

I just finished watching "Harvest Love" with Jen Lilley and Ryan Paevey. Great googly-moogly, is Ryan Paevey ever yummy! And when I checked him out on IMDB, I was totally taken aback to realize that he's the same guy who was in "Unleashing Mr. Darcy," which I hated. He kind of reminds me of the "Lois and Clark" era Dean Cain (which is a compliment; I loved that show).

The movie itself wasn't bad, either. I saw Jen Lilley in "A Dash of Love" on Hallmark, but I liked her better here. The kid who played her son was adorable.

Back to The Sweetest Heart. The girl who plays the best friend is a terrible actress. She’s always the best friend and i guess there’s a reason for that. Like most of these actresses on hallmark, you can see the thought process - pause, smile with a closed mouth, stare wistfully, wait a beat then react- Lacey chabert School of acting. I prefer actresses that have comedic timing, and those hallmark movies tend to be the better ones. But I’ll never stop watching lol!! The one coming up this Saturday looks promising.

• Love 4

So maybe 5 out of the 34 will be decent. At least Lifetime has 14 new movies and since theirs tend to be better, maybe there will be 7-8 other good ones.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

Alison Sweeney is going to be starring in a new mystery movie series “The Chronicle Mysteries” on HMM, playing a novelist and podcaster.  This is in addition to the previously announced new mystery movie series starring Lacey Chabert and Alexa PenaVega.

https://www.crownmediapress.com/PressReleaseList/Details?SiteID=142&NodeID=230&ID=643

Also noticed recently that in addition to their re-use of same actors and actresses, they also re-use same writers.  For example, Teena Booth has written all the Aurora Teagarden and Fixer Upper movies, as well as one of the Murder, She Baked movies

Edited by mikeb
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

It sounds like the channel needs some diversity/variety in their writers, as well as, their actors.  

It goes hand in hand. Diverse writers bring diverse characters which opens up diversity in casting. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, In2You said:

It goes hand in hand. Diverse writers bring diverse characters which opens up diversity in casting. 

But not for diversity's sake. Holly Peete's move was the worst boring mess mystery they have had on in a while. I am including Jewel's complete lack of chemistry with her love interest but otherwise decent mysteries, is saying this.

59 minutes ago, Happywatcher said:

Holly Peete's move was the worst boring mess mystery they have had on in a while. I am including Jewel's complete lack of chemistry with her love interest but otherwise decent mysteries, is saying this.

I thought Jewel's debut was perhaps the worst mystery movie but they gave the series the opportunity to improve and the latest entry was somewhat watchable.  I think Holly's movie series should get the same opportunity to see if they follow the improvement pattern that most of the mystery movie series achieve.  I think the only one that hasn't is the Emma Fielding series but they've only done two of those.  So maybe by the third...?

Then again, I liked the Morning Show Mystery movie more than most. 

13 hours ago, mikeb said:

Alison Sweeney is going to be starring in a new mystery movie series “The Chronicle Mysteries” on HMM, playing a novelist and podcaster. 

I guess this means Murder she Baked is officially over.  Bummer because that was my favorite pure mystery series.  I have wondered why they hadn't tackled a podcaster investigating a mystery yet since there are so many mystery podcasts.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Happywatcher said:

But not for diversity's sake. Holly Peete's move was the worst boring mess mystery they have had on in a while. I am including Jewel's complete lack of chemistry with her love interest but otherwise decent mysteries, is saying this.

Thats a script issue not a diversity issue.

• Love 7

Which is why I said Hallmark needs to get some different writers to make their movies a little more diverse in terms of plot, character, etc.

Upside of the upcoming Aurora Teagarden movie is that the lead character's best friend will most likely be in it!  The last one was missing her.

Maybe it's  just me, but I'm not liking a lot of the male actors that Hallmark employs recently.  Like right now, Elevator Girl, the male lead looks like he hasn't shaved yet----he looks 14 years old.  And so many of the guys are so skinny and metrosexual looking.  I like a guy with a man's body, a guy like Don Diamont from Bold and Beautiful.  He's super masculine looking, and not one of those guys who seem to be so popular now---guys who look like they're barely out of puberty. 

And where the heck are the Hispanic, Black or Asian leads on Hallmark?   I'm tired of the lily whiteness of this network.  What is it, the 1960's where actors of color are relegated to sidekick status?  

• Love 8

"Royal Matchmaker." Another winner for me! It was one of the more "adult" Hallmark movies, if that makes any sense. Once again, no ridiculous misunderstandings to manufacture the black moment. I'm completely willing to handwave any inconsistencies because it was, in essence a fairy tale. 

Will Kemp is very appealing; not only does he have the most gorgeous hair ever, he reminds me of a young Hugh Jackman (swoon). He and Bethany Joy Lenz were great together; their scenes reminded me of the snappy banter in a 1940s romantic comedy. The sets were unusually gorgeous--it looks like they blew out the budget on this one. 

And I really liked Victor the valet. He looks so familiar to me, and he's not listed on IMDB. Can anyone tell me who he is?

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 10
On 3/22/2018 at 5:34 AM, mikeb said:

Alison Sweeney is going to be starring in a new mystery movie series “The Chronicle Mysteries” on HMM, playing a novelist and podcaster.  This is in addition to the previously announced new mystery movie series starring Lacey Chabert and Alexa PenaVega.

https://www.crownmediapress.com/PressReleaseList/Details?SiteID=142&NodeID=230&ID=643

Does this mean no more "Murder She Baked" mysteries?

• Love 1

I liked Royal Matchmaker as well.  Definitely the best spring movie so far. It had a very enjoyable cast.  I got excited to see Simon Dutton as the King as he starred in one of my favorite cheese fest movies based on an Agatha Christie novel, The Man In The Brown Suit.   [Bethany] Joy Lenz is able to give her characters so much personality and charm so that really helped.  Will Kemp was also good.  I just wish there were a tad more chemistry.

Victor, on the other hand, had chemistry with all three of the women, I thought.  In fact, I felt it was a bit of a waste not to pair him with Kate's helper.

40 minutes ago, kirinan said:

And I really liked Victor the valet. He looks so familiar to me, and he's not listed on IMDB. Can anyone tell me who he is?

His name is Joseph Thompson.  He looked familiar to me too but I don't think I've seen him in anything.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Victor, on the other hand, had chemistry with all three of the women, I thought.  In fact, I felt it was a bit of a waste not to pair him with Kate's helper.

His name is Joseph Thompson.  He looked familiar to me too but I don't think I've seen him in anything.

I was so sure that was where they were going. I liked his former schoolmate well enough, but I'll admit I was a teeny bit disappointed they didn't put him together with the helper. And thanks for the link, Irlandesa. I haven't seen him in anything else, either, but seeing his IMDB photos made me realize why I thought I knew him--he reminds me of (don't laugh) Antonio Cupo. Which could explain why I liked him so much; I have a type. :)

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1

I too liked Royal Matchmaker. I spent most of the day marching so it was nice to settle in with a fluff movie. I like Bethany Joy Lenz in these cheesy movies. The movie she and Andrew Walker were in during Christmas on Lifetime is one of my new favorites. I thought the whole cast was enjoyable. The concept worked for me better than a lot of these "royal" type of movies. I liked that there was not a big misunderstanding. Another thing that I enjoyed was that the king was not trying to sabotage the possible romance between the leads, nor did he look down on Kate. I guess I liked that no one was actively trying to sabotage the potential couple. That seems somewhat typical in these type of movies.

I was actually glad that they did not pair Victor with the helper, just because that is where I thought it was going. Though I agree Victor had chemistry with pretty much the whole cast.

• Love 3