Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I watched a little of that and I was surprised too how less wooden he was than I had come to expect.  Still, I bailed pretty quickly as it appeared as if the story was basically "big city girl goes to a smaller town to do Christmas things and fall in love."  I know that's the plot of most of these movies but there seemed to be literally nothing more on offer.  It's a Tuesday.  I ain't got time for that.

Haha I don't blame you. I watched to the end and can confirm that's exactly what it was complete with the job offer and opportunity to a) save a dying small town institution, b) stay with the man, c) ditch big ad job to become a small city store owner, and d) interrupted kisses including one by a child calling the parent from offscreen. So it had all the tropes, but still I was engaged because of the pretty, the chemistry between the leads, and also books. I gotta say, although I've seen book trees in Facebook memes, this is the first time I've seen one in a Hallmark movie.

• Love 3

Getting caught up on some of the Christmas movies from the past week...

Loved Christmas in Evergreen: Letters to Santa! I liked the first one, but I think this one was even better. I really liked that they had Ashley W come back as her character for a few scenes too. It was nice to get the feel of continuity and also to hear a bit about the couple from last year's movie (liked that they were taking it slow and he had recently moved to town, rather than the instant engagements we usually get in these movies). 

Godwink Christmas was less engaging. I wanted to like it more than I did, because the leads had good chemistry and I could see the potential of them together...but for whatever reason, it just wasn't grabbing me. I'd watch it again next year, but it won't go on my must see list. I'm glad to hear they're in plans for another movie together, which will hopefully let them shine a bit more. 

I will have to check out Hope for Christmas! I have an irrational soft spot for Ryan Paevey in spite of the wooden acting- maybe because when he was on GH he was one of the few decent male characters (and by decent I mean, not an awful mobster). 

Looking forward to a lot of the upcoming movies so I'm hoping I can catch them live!

• Love 4

Last night I watched Just in Time for Christmas, in which Eloise Mumford plays a woman who is offered a tenure-track job at Yale moments before her boyfriend proposes to her.  She says no, but then is transported three years into the future to experience how her life turned out.  Mumford did a great job in the role and I found the movie more engaging than most others I have watched recently.  My nitpick is that it was silly to act like the choice was only between her dream job at Yale and marrying her true love.  But I enjoyed how the story played out, (Christopher Lloyd was great as Grandpa) and was satisfied with the outcome.  It's a cute movie that I would watch again.

I also finally watched Return to Christmas Creek, and didn't like it as much... for some reason it was just okay for me, but Tori Anderson was luminous in the movie and I hope they feature her again in the future.  One thing I didn't understand was why the uncle broke up with his girlfriend because his brother's family moved away.  That seemed strange, although I may have missed (or misunderstood) the explanation because I wasn't particularly engaged while watching this movie.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

I also finally watched Return to Christmas Creek, and didn't like it as much... for some reason it was just okay for me, but Tori Anderson was luminous in the movie and I hope they feature her again in the future.  One thing I didn't understand was why the uncle broke up with his girlfriend because his brother's family moved away.  That seemed strange, although I may have missed (or misunderstood) the explanation because I wasn't particularly engaged while watching this movie.

I got the impression the uncle and his girlfriend broke up because he started working a lot at the hotel now that he wasn't sharing the work with his brother and didn't work to keep up their connection.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

I got the impression the uncle and his girlfriend broke up because he started working a lot at the hotel now that he wasn't sharing the work with his brother and didn't work to keep up their connection.

Oh, I see. Thank you for the explanation. :)

• Love 1
11 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Last night I watched Just in Time for Christmas, in which Eloise Mumford plays a woman who is offered a tenure-track job at Yale moments before her boyfriend proposes to her.  She says no, but then is transported three years into the future to experience how her life turned out.  Mumford did a great job in the role and I found the movie more engaging than most others I have watched recently.  My nitpick is that it was silly to act like the choice was only between her dream job at Yale and marrying her true love.  But I enjoyed how the story played out, (Christopher Lloyd was great as Grandpa) and was satisfied with the outcome.  It's a cute movie that I would watch again.

I love this movie like crazy. And yeah, I agree about this part and I think she also did when he was confused why she felt like she had to make a choice instead of working it out together. You can kinda see her mentally kicking herself like "yeah, why did I jump to that conclusion?" When she returns, he was more than happy to work out his shop situation and she was ready to dive in their future together even though she wasn't sure how exactly they would work things. Hallmark is awesome when they have their couples actually communicate! 

I noticed this was the slightly cut version. There's another version of the movie with another minute or so after she is late to the coffee shop and walks around. She sees a couple and walks along the bay thinking while 'Espresso Kiss' plays. Most broadcasts usually cut that part out and just have her go from the coffee shop to the park, but I like the subtlety in the longer scene and the music that plays. That's probably my fave part of the movie. Love it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

I love this movie like crazy. And yeah, I agree about this part and I think she also did when he was confused why she felt like she had to make a choice instead of working it out together. You can kinda see her mentally kicking herself like "yeah, why did I jump to that conclusion?" When she returns, he was more than happy to work out his shop situation and she was ready to dive in their future together even though she wasn't sure how exactly they would work things. Hallmark is awesome when they have their couples actually communicate! 

I noticed this was the slightly cut version. There's another version of the movie with another minute or so after she is late to the coffee shop and walks around. She sees a couple and walks along the bay thinking while 'Espresso Kiss' plays. Most broadcasts usually cut that part out and just have her go from the coffee shop to the park, but I like the subtlety in the longer scene and the music that plays. That's probably my fave part of the movie. Love it.

Huh.  That's interesting!  It never occurred to me Hallmark would have an uncut version. 

Oh, and I know what you mean about her mentally kicking herself... I noticed that too and was glad they included that little nuance... it made my nitpick issue less annoying.  Mostly though, the movie was just so darn enjoyable that I ultimately didn't care that it should have been resolved with a conversation right there at the restaurant.

Edited by AnnaRose
typo
  • Love 1

^^^Yeah, it surprised me, too. I didn't realize it until they reran it after the premiere and it felt like something was missing. I bought the DVD and it has the original scene in there. I guess they cut for commercials and don't think it matters much but it adds little extra icing to the mood I think.

As an aside, I should probably post about My Christmas Inn in the other thread but I was surprised how much like a Hallmark this one was, complete with the tropes. Almost everything I said about Hope at Christmas, kind of applies here: 

On 11/20/2018 at 11:01 PM, MissyPoo said:

job offer and opportunity to a) save a dying small town institution, b) stay with the man, c) ditch big ad job to become a small city store owner, and d) interrupted kisses including one by a child calling the parent from offscreen. 

Minus the child and interrupted kisses. This would have been something that fit on Hallmark's main channel especially since it felt like a 12 Gifts of Christmas reunion (I counted three people from that movie in this one). I really liked it though. Tia and Rob had a nice enemy to lovers relationship and the moment where an interrupted kiss would occur didn't happen though I liked how it was still a cute moment. I actually liked this movie and I'm already rewatching it again tonight ha. I would love a sequel to check in one year later with the development of the inn next christmas with more Jackee and Tim Reid next time.

Edited by MissyPoo
On 11/20/2018 at 11:30 AM, TVFan17 said:

However, I did see some comments about LVC on Twitter, and it seems that some people loved Last Vermont Christmas.  One person (maybe on Facebook?) even said that it was the best Christmas movie so far this year.   And I thought.... what am I missing?   Best so far this year?  I must be on a completely different planet.

I know this comment will come across as mean so I pre-apologize, but I think of those viewers as the Hallmark Hausfraus. They're what made me mute Hallmark on FB and Twitter because they unabashedly and uncritically love EVERYTHING, no matter how awful it is. And when you post something that even smacks of criticism--and I swear on my late mother's grave, I never went on there and trolled or trashed the movies, just asked questions and gave matter-of-fact opinions--they swarm and bite like a pack of rabid squirrels. They seem to be older, female viewers (that description fits me, too), who gobble up these stories like Harlequin romance readers gobble up their monthly shipments of Harlequin books. Which, hey, nothing wrong with that, to each her own, and have a blast, ladies. But unfortunately, they're a big reason that Hallmark cranks out increasing amounts of insipid pabulum along with the good movies--and thank goodness, even in these days of movie-factory-style cranking, there are enough of those to keep me around. 

ETA: That article by Kristoffer Polaha was great--thanks for posting, @VCRTracking! I was kind of neutral on him before I heard him on a Deck the Hallmark podcast, and he was so funny he won me over right on the spot. With the podcast and this, he truly does seem to be proud of being part of the Hallmark family, which is great. He compared Hallmark's setup to the old Hollywood studio system, and I think that is spot-on. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 7

Hope at Christmas, with Ryan Paevey and Scottie Thompson seemed, to me, more like a movie that should have ended up on the main Hallmark Channel and not on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel.   I'm not sure why it premiered on HMM.   

Likewise, Reunited at Christmas with Nikki DeLoach and Mike Faiola seemed like it should have stayed on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel (where it was supposed to premiere for a while) instead of being put on the main channel, just based on the premise.     I can only assume that maybe Hallmark put this one on the original channel because there are already at least two other movies with plots revolving around families and family homes on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries this year, including Last Vermont Christmas and Christmas on Honeysuckle Lane.

That's not to say either Hope at Christmas or Reunited at Christmas was terrible or wonderful (I think I have to give each one a "second chance viewing," as I was kind of distracted during both premieres and I wasn't sure if I liked them or not), but each movie didn't feel like a proper fit on the channel to which it was assigned.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TVFan17 said:

Likewise, Reunited at Christmas with Nikki DeLoach and Mike Faiola seemed like it should have stayed on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel (where it was supposed to premiere for a while) instead of being put on the main channel, just based on the premise. 

I agree.  It did feel like a HMM movie.  But it's my favorite movie so far this season, I think.  I think I'd watch it again.*

The reason the movie is my favorite is largely because I actually cared about the main couple.  They had chemistry and I was invested in their happily ever after.  Plus, it took a different approach.  They were already a couple.  Their angst felt real. I could believe she'd agree to marriage in a moment of panic once her family caught them mid-proposal.  And I also found it realistic that her taking back her enthusiastic "yes" would destabilize the relationship even though they were in love. The biggest weirdness was the awkwardness between the divorced parents.  I'd be willing to watch a Christmas Wedding sequel. 

The biggest surprise?  The main character's publisher brought her in and asked her to write a Christmas book---for NEXT Christmas. It's not a situation where she's asked to write a book for this Christmas, where she finishes it Christmas Eve and it goes out Christmas day.  No, there's a little bit of pre-planning.

*But that's so tough.  The only times these movies are rerun are when Hallmark (and other channels) is bombarding us with a bunch of new movies so it's hard to find the time to watch movies from previous years...or the capacity for even more holiday movies.

• Love 2
On 11/9/2018 at 4:13 PM, Myrrhine said:

Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade was absolutely delightful! Why didn't anyone tell me?? (Just kidding; of course everyone raves about it.) I'm not sure why I took so long to watch it. I think I thought it would be about Thanksgiving, and I wasn't sure about the leads. Anyway, they were such fun together. They had real moments of connection. And the heroine had a personality other than painfully cheerful. I will definitely watch it again. 

Yes, a very cute movie. I loved all of Autumn Rieser’s vintage clothes. I especially loved  the replica of Jackie Kennedy’s famous pink suit. I read many Jackie biographies and recently finished “The Pink Suit” by Nicole Kelby, a fictional story of the making of the suit, but based on truth.

• Love 2

Just caught the end of Rocky Mountain Christmas. I loved it. Lindy Booth is from my hometown of Oakville, so I always like seeing her on TV. I was happy that she stayed on to manage the ranch. These movies are awesome, but sometimes I need some kleenex nearby.I cry at happy endings:))

• Love 3

Christmas in Evergreen 2: Letters to Santa. 

Good points: I like Jill Wagner from her other work, both in Wipeout and Stargate. The connection to movie 1 via the old time truck of romance was nice. I honestly want her and the male lead to restore old timey stores in reborn 1910 trendy shopping areas.

Not good points: I wasn't feeling the romance between her and the male lead, they came across like good friends. The letter thing was sad and I didn't feel a resolution. Holly is a first rate actress, I felt like I did in her murder series "Why isn't she doing greater work here?"

Question: Where is that cool old time train located in real life?

Edited by Happywatcher
  • Love 2

So, Christmas at the Palace - very appealing  male lead and it started well but, boy, did it go off the rails! Katie took the money to put on a pageant so she could buy her own skating rink but a day or so before the pageant she bails to go buy that rink so apparently, she kept the money she was paid. The king’s longtime assistant just quits with no notice (or replacement) to go manage the skating rink. No one at the palace seems to be upset about either of these things. Then Katie comes back (and apparently these people can time-travel or the kingdom is next door to New Jersey) and, without practicing for years, executes a flawless skating routine complete with a perfect Bielman spin. I’m willing to suspend belief somewhat for these movies but this one exceeded all my limits.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, anniebird said:

So, Christmas at the Palace - very appealing  male lead and it started well but, boy, did it go off the rails! Katie took the money to put on a pageant so she could buy her own skating rink but a day or so before the pageant she bails to go buy that rink so apparently, she kept the money she was paid. The king’s longtime assistant just quits with no notice (or replacement) to go manage the skating rink. No one at the palace seems to be upset about either of these things. Then Katie comes back (and apparently these people can time-travel or the kingdom is next door to New Jersey) and, without practicing for years, executes a flawless skating routine complete with a perfect Bielman spin. I’m willing to suspend belief somewhat for these movies but this one exceeded all my limits.

I am halfway through Christmas at the Palace and was debating about finishing it. I like Alex but have disliked Katie ever since she walked into a well decorated room and claimed that it needed more Christmas decorations. Her constant criticism of the King are just annoying. Thanks for confirming that there is no reason to continue. 

Edited by Guest
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The reason the movie is my favorite is largely because I actually cared about the main couple.  They had chemistry and I was invested in their happily ever after.  Plus, it took a different approach.  They were already a couple.  Their angst felt real. I could believe she'd agree to marriage in a moment of panic once her family caught them mid-proposal.  And I also found it realistic that her taking back her enthusiastic "yes" would destabilize the relationship even though they were in love. The biggest weirdness was the awkwardness between the divorced parents.  I'd be willing to watch a Christmas Wedding sequel. 

I really enjoyed this for the same reasons. Usually I prefer the movies where the leads are meeting for the first time, and don't like it when they are exes or old college sweethearts or whatever. But this one they were a couple from the start, and yet they got me invested almost right away anyway. The whole thing really worked for me. I have not seen the lead actor before, but I hope they use him again. I also really like the actress who played the sister. I know she's been in other Hallmark movies, but has she ever been the lead? Or only side characters?

• Love 1

I ended up liking Reunited at Christmas, but thought it was so weird that I didn't find any chemistry between the leads until the ANGST came in - which is super odd considering Nikki Deloach and Mike Faiola played a married couple for 4 seasons on MTV's "Awkward." I actually wasn't even sure their characters were even a couple since all they did was hug until they got to her hometown.

I also felt let down by A Godwink's Christmas. I wanted so much to like it since I really like Kimberley Sustad and for the life of me can't understand why it's taken 4 years for her to be the lead again in a Hallmark movie. Incidentally, The Nine Lives of Christmas is one of my favorite Hallmark Christmas movies. But I'm happy that someone said she's doing another movie with Paul Campbell. This one wasn't bad so much as boring.

I'm disappointed that Ali Liebert doesn't seem to be doing a Christmas movie this year. I was so excited that she got to headline a movie last year after playing the best friend for so long, but I guess she's focusing on directing now based on her instagram??

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Shorty186 said:

I also felt let down by A Godwink's Christmas. I wanted so much to like it since I really like Kimberley Sustad and for the life of me can't understand why it's taken 4 years for her to be the lead again in a Hallmark movie. Incidentally, The Nine Lives of Christmas is one of my favorite Hallmark Christmas movies. But I'm happy that someone said she's doing another movie with Paul Campbell. This one wasn't bad so much as boring

I heard a recent interview with her where she said she has 2 kids, a 3-year old and a 1-year old, so that might partly explain the gap.

• Love 2

Christmas at the Palace - I could see not caring about it, but the leads were both in The Royals on E! for a little bit.  I will miss that guilty pleasure and the king was a hot bad boy in that show.  That's why I stayed for the whole thing.  The bff's been in a few of these movies and she has distracting eyebrows for me.  

Edited by VartanFan
9 hours ago, mikeb said:

I heard a recent interview with her where she said she has 2 kids, a 3-year old and a 1-year old, so that might partly explain the gap.

I didn't know that. Yeah, it could except she has been in more Hallmark movies, just in supporting roles.

I just realized they moved Danica's movie (Christmas in Grand Valley) from yesterday to a whole month later. That seems strange since Danica is part of their top tier and usually her movies are during the thanksgiving week like the other A team. Since they're playing fast and loose with the schedules, I imagine they could have moved it from HMM to HC like Reunited at Christmas. Anyone know why they moved it in the first place?

Just watching My Christmas Love and while the female lead is too overwhelming (I'm hoping there's a point she tones it down), Bobby Campo is excellent and I love his character. I couldn't believe it was the annoying brother from Snow Bride when I looked him up. 

ETA: I don't remember the last time I was this happy an ex showed up, but Liam's did just as I was wishing that he'd leave the house and go to town, because the local women would go straight after him. She may turn out to be a bitch after the commercial break, but I needed someone to show interest in him stat. 

ETA2: Overall, it was pretty enjoyable. I like that the father, the sister and her fiance are all actual characters. Also thrilled I was right about the gifts. Absolutely the best possible way that could have gone. I stand by the assessment that Liam is too good for Cynthia, but what are you onna do? Maybe there's a Bobby Campo movie out there where his pairing works better for me. I definitely will give his other movies a chance. 

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 5

Quick catch-up round :

- I really liked Last Vermont Christmas' lead couple. Despite Bruening's iffy style. The rest of it ? Not so much. It was very low-key and serious, kinda cheaply made (that fake snow, ouch), and it just... it was there. The supporting cast didn't leave much of an impression, and I ended up thinking I'd have like to see Bruening & Cahill in something more light-hearted.

- Initially, Reunited at Christmas kinda felt the same, very Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, but this one mostly worked for me in the end. Nikki DeLoach is always likeable, the lead couple was believable, the supporting cast had some character development... I probably wouldn't go out of my way to rewatch it, but as far as those more serious, family-drama based movies go, it was above average.

- Supposedly, Pride, Prejudice & Mistletoe was, according to the adapted novel's author, some sort of gender-switched Pride & Prejudice. Too bad the movie barely had anything to do with that : it was just your standard Hallmark cliché-ridden romance, with a touch of fanservicy names, and way too much business & investment talk. A huge meh, despite the fact that I like Brendan Penny as a leading man, and that I'm fine with Chabert, despite her overexposure.

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Sara2009 said:

Did anyone watch “ Poinsettias for Christmas?” I’m curious to hear how it was.

I turned this on planning to watch it only for a few moments before heading to bed but I've been sucked in and may watch this until I crash. I'm loving it so far. It's funny and it doesn't feel generic and plotted if that makes any sense. Love Bethany Joy so I was looking forward to this one. She's a gem and hilarious here with her little quips. Loving her with Marcus Rosner who finally gets the lead gal. I started Pride, Prejudice, and Mistletoe before this one and had to coach myself through that before I gave up at the halfway point. This was a breath of fresh air. Though it's tropey with the samey "big city girl returns home to help family with small town family business" I think it's the characters that made this one stand out because they feel relatable and endearing.

• Love 5

I'll pretty much give any Hallmark movie with Joy Lenz a try. She's just a perfect fit for them. Engaging, natural and vivacious without going over board to ditzy. While I wasn't completely taken with either the one where she's a matchmaker or where she finds her long lost grandmother, I thought she herself was great. My problems there were with some story points and/or the male leads. I haven't managed to watch the one she did with Andrew Walker, but it looked like it had potential. 

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I'll pretty much give any Hallmark movie with Joy Lenz a try. She's just a perfect fit for them. Engaging, natural and vivacious without going over board to ditzy. While I wasn't completely taken with either the one where she's a matchmaker or where she finds her long lost grandmother, I thought she herself was great. My problems there were with some story points and/or the male leads. I haven't managed to watch the one she did with Andrew Walker, but it looked like it had potential. 

That's Snowed-Inn Christmas.  I just watched it again last night, and I really like that one.

I also rewatched Christmas in Homestead, which I liked a lot the first time I watched it (I love Michael Rady!)...and I actually liked it even more the second time.  (The little things that bugged me the first time around didn't seem to bother me any more, and I was completely charmed by it.)

I finally watched December Bride (2016), and you guys weren't kidding about how awful the fiance-stealing cousin and her mother were to Jessica Lowndes' character - constantly chiding her to get over it and attend her horrible cousin's wedding to her ex-fiance!  I also thought the house decorating stuff was pretty lame, so the whole thing was basically a big 'miss' for me.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

I just realized they moved Danica's movie (Christmas in Grand Valley) from yesterday to a whole month later. That seems strange since Danica is part of their top tier and usually her movies are during the thanksgiving week like the other A team. Since they're playing fast and loose with the schedules, I imagine they could have moved it from HMM to HC like Reunited at Christmas. Anyone know why they moved it in the first place?

I don't know the reason but there definitely seems to be something suspicious going on.  It actually has been moved twice.  First from Thanksgiving night on Hallmark Channel to December 15 on HMM and then delayed another week to December 22 on HMM.

Unrelated,  even though the Kellie Pickler movie was panned here (I skipped it),  it was easily the highest rated Hallmark Christmas movie to date this year, and 6th highest ever (behind 4 Candice Cameron Bure movies and last year's The Christmas Train).  This wikipedia page includes rating information, if interested in seeing how any of your favorites did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hallmark_Channel_Original_Movies

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

I finally watched December Bride (2016), and you guys weren't kidding about how awful the fiance-stealing cousin and her mother were to Jessica Lowndes' character - constantly chiding her to get over it and attend her horrible cousin's wedding to her ex-fiance!  I also thought the house decorating stuff was pretty lame, so the whole thing was basically a big 'miss' for me.

I caught some of this recently and noticed the actress who played the fiance-stealing cousin is the same one who played Lacey Chabert's cousin in All Of My Heart: The Wedding who was trying to force her to sell the inn and split the proceeds with her.  I guess she is being typecast.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

Supposedly, Pride, Prejudice & Mistletoe was, according to the adapted novel's author, some sort of gender-switched Pride & Prejudice. Too bad the movie barely had anything to do with that : it was just your standard Hallmark cliché-ridden romance, with a touch of fanservicy names, and way too much business & investment talk. A huge meh, despite the fact that I like Brendan Penny as a leading man, and that I'm fine with Chabert, despite her overexposure.

I'm not a P&P purist but man am I getting irritated by any Hallmark movie iteration alluding to the book since they rarely have anything to do with the books.  (From what I've read about the novel on Amazon, it's the same way.)

5 hours ago, Sara2009 said:

Did anyone watch “ Poinsettias for Christmas?” I’m curious to hear how it was.

Two of Bethany's most recent movies, Poinsettias and Snowed-Inn aired on Lifetime.  So Holiday Movies and non Rankin Bass Christmas Specials is where you might find talk about those.  I know I'm planning a summary of the Lifetime movies I've seen so far but, like Hallmark, they're throwing them out pretty fast and furious this season as well. In fact, they might even be doing them more.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mikeb said:

Unrelated,  even though the Kellie Pickler movie was panned here (I skipped it),  it was easily the highest rated Hallmark Christmas movie to date this year, and 6th highest ever (behind 4 Candice Cameron Bure movies and last year's The Christmas Train).  This wikipedia page includes rating information, if interested in seeing how any of your favorites did.

That list just goes to show that I have no clue about what makes Hallmark viewers happy. I’ve seen one Candace CAmeron Bure’s Christmas movie, Journey Back to Christmas, and I disliked that and her in it so much that I’ve purposly avoided her others.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mikeb said:

Unrelated,  even though the Kellie Pickler movie was panned here (I skipped it),  it was easily the highest rated Hallmark Christmas movie to date this year, and 6th highest ever (behind 4 Candice Cameron Bure movies and last year's The Christmas Train). 

It wasn't that bad. It was a singing movie, but you expected that with Graceland in the title. It was a little frustrating because the lead's character was supposed to be a super business exec but didn't put her big girl panties on to tell the boss what the problem was.  Kellie's face was a little frozen, but that isn't odd on Hallmark and she worked around it with pulling her happy expressions up by the forehead. It was enjoyable

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, bijoux said:

That list just goes to show that I have no clue about what makes Hallmark viewers happy. I’ve seen one Candace CAmeron Bure’s Christmas movie, Journey Back to Christmas, and I disliked that and her in it so much that I’ve purposly avoided her others.

I don't think there's a monolithic thing such as  "A Hallmark movie" as much as we might want to lump them together.  There's even disagreement here about what movies we like/dislike. 

I do think Kellie Pickler has a fan base, though. She has twice as many Twitter followers as Candace Cameron Bure.  Now Twitter followers don't always translate to viewership but, even though Hallmark doesn't always work with the most accomplished thespians, there's a reason they decided to get into bed with a non-actor. 

• Love 2

Hi, guys.  I've been snarking, er, I mean, commenting and reviewing, these Hallmark movies on the Shopping Channel board.

The titles of the "royal" Christmas ones are beginning to get mixed up in my head, lol -- forget the plots and characters who sound alike -- even the titles are the same.  I don't even know which names are real and which my brain is screwing up trying to remember -- My Christmas Prince, My Winter Prince, A Prince for Christmas, A Royal Christmas, A Prince to Remember, lol.  Which is the one where the Prince falls for a girl who works in Manhattan as a writer but her home town is "Maple Falls", Wyoming?  His parents initially disapprove of their son's choice and send the Queen's assistant to Wyoming for some straightening out.

Any help would be appreciated.

It seems every one of these Hallmark movies employ a singular hair stylist, as EVERY woman, even down to the female toddlers, sport that "mermaid" look.

Hot chocolate must be mentioned in every Christmas movie.  Marshmallows are optional.  Cider and eggnog come in second and third.

The characters always talk about "the pitch".  Almost all the characters are workaholics employed in advertising and marketing.

Every sentence begins with a slowly drawn out "So...……."   (i.e. "So...….tell me how you and Santa met"; "So.....tell me how things are going with you and the Prince in Bumfuck, USA"...…)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm not a P&P purist but man am I getting irritated by any Hallmark movie iteration alluding to the book since they rarely have anything to do with the books.  (From what I've read about the novel on Amazon, it's the same way.)

Two of Bethany's most recent movies, Poinsettias and Snowed-Inn aired on Lifetime.  So Holiday Movies and non Rankin Bass Christmas Specials is where you might find talk about those.  I know I'm planning a summary of the Lifetime movies I've seen so far but, like Hallmark, they're throwing them out pretty fast and furious this season as well. In fact, they might even be doing them more.

Sorry, for some reason I thought it was on Hallmark.

8 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

- Supposedly, Pride, Prejudice & Mistletoe was, according to the adapted novel's author, some sort of gender-switched Pride & Prejudice. Too bad the movie barely had anything to do with that : it was just your standard Hallmark cliché-ridden romance, with a touch of fanservicy names, and way too much business & investment talk. A huge meh, despite the fact that I like Brendan Penny as a leading man, and that I'm fine with Chabert, despite her overexposure.

There is no sign of any let-up of new Lacey Chabert movies.  She was in 4 Hallmark movies that premiered in 2018.  In addition, she has already filmed the first entry in her new HMM mystery movie series that will air early in 2019.  Also, last night she live-tweeted Pride, Prejudice & Mistletoe while on a plane flying to location of another new Hallmark movie she is starting next week.

Edited by mikeb

Anyone who has seen Christmas Next Door can you answer a question for me?  Do they explain how a woman who plays the violin in restaurants and gives private lessons to children can afford the lovely house that she appears to own in what seems to be a very upscale neighbourhood?  I know plausibility isn't always a big thing on Hallmark but I'm thinking maybe I missed an explanation.  

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Happywatcher said:

Kellie's face was a little frozen, but that isn't odd on Hallmark and she worked around it with pulling her happy expressions up by the forehead. It was enjoyable

I don't know why, but that made me laugh!  :D

• Love 2

Christmas at the Palace : someone upthread mentioned being annoyed by the lead entering a heavily decorated palace room, and seriously complaining it wasn't decorated enough - I had the exact same reaction (annoyance with the Patterson's character, not with the supposed lack of decorations), along with thinking there was some sort of miscommunication between the set decorator and the writer : that's the only way I can explain how "the King is a grinch, he doesn't celebrate Christmas anymore, yadda yadda yadda" translates into a palace with an amount of decorations that you can only find in Hallmark movies.

Then again, the writing was all over the place : very derivative, it felt like a mashup of various Hallmark movies, from any of the Crown/Royals movies, to the usual Christmas pageant theme, to the ice skating ones... and although I liked the lead couple, it was played way too straight and bland, especially compared to Britt Bristow's romance with the King's BFF (sadly, Bristow goes back to New Jersey around the 60 minutes mark...). Also : über rushed ending.

• Love 4

I liked Pride, Prejudice & Mistletoe, mostly because I liked the leads. I probably wouldn’t have given it a look if it weren’t for Brendan (who I also liked in Tis the Season for Love a few years ago). 

I also watched the Vermont movie this week. I liked everything except the younger blonde sister. I couldn’t tell if she was upset because they were selling the family home or if she was losing her place to live. She just seemed whiny and less mature than the little girl. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, mikeb said:

This explains why CCB appears to be the "face" of Hallmark.  Interesting. I'm sure her newest movie will enter the Top 5 easily.

I was checking out the other ratings for this current batch of Hallmark movies.  It appears Road to Christmas didn't exactly set the world on fire.   

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Darlin said:

I was checking out the other ratings for this current batch of Hallmark movies.  It appears Road to Christmas didn't exactly set the world on fire.   

I wonder if they take into consideration how many people PVR these movies?  I rarely if ever watch when they are actually aired.  I'm a bit of a luddite where things like ratings are concerned so perhaps this is a dumb question!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I wonder if they take into consideration how many people PVR these movies?  I rarely if ever watch when they are actually aired.  I'm a bit of a luddite where things like ratings are concerned so perhaps this is a dumb question!

Not a dumb question at all.  You make a great point actually.  More and more people PVR/DVR stuff and not watch it live.  I'm a bit of a dinosaur in that regard.  I watch what I can "live."

14 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

Supposedly, Pride, Prejudice & Mistletoe was, according to the adapted novel's author, some sort of gender-switched Pride & Prejudice. Too bad the movie barely had anything to do with that : it was just your standard Hallmark cliché-ridden romance, with a touch of fanservicy names, and way too much business & investment talk. A huge meh, despite the fact that I like Brendan Penny as a leading man, and that I'm fine with Chabert, despite her overexposure.

Good to know I’m watching it now. I too like Brendan Penny and am a big fan of Lacey Chaubert (nostalgia from being her age when Party of Five was on). 

I saw Christmas at Graceland and OMG the lead actress was awful. Every line was stilted. The lead actor was cute though. 

• Love 2