Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So Candace produced a movie about twins but didn't think of calling up her friends the Mowry twins who would've been perfect for it. I guess she didn't wanna miss out on being in a Christmas movie this year. 

You can tell a lot of the movies asre written and produced by men with the archaic stories like giving up a good job to work a seasonal job to be with a man you barely know. Maybe bring in some more women would mean stronger female leads who can have a career and a love life. 

Mariah Carey is supposed to produce more movies for Hallmark(they're even the sponsor of her Christmas tour) but she sa is shes so busy touring she doesn't have the time.

Edited by In2You
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, twoods said:

I am looking forward to Alicia Witt and David Alpay's new movie next week. I like both actors and hope they have decent chemistry.

Eh, I like Alicia Witt, but... she was overacting like crazy in her last Christmas movie, to the point of appearing half-drunk all the time, and it only seems to get worse as years go by, so i'm kinda fearing the worst for the 2017 movie.

On another note, I'm trying to get through Up's A Very Country Christmas, and i'm struggling to stay awake (and yet, it seems to be better produced and/or have a bigger budget than some Hallmark movies... maybe it's just the fact that there were tons of real snow when they shot it)

(hey, just noticed a new movie, A Christmas Prince, on Netflix, with Rose McIver as the lead. I like her.)

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

Eh, I like Alicia Witt, but... she was overacting like crazy in her last Christmas movie, to the point of appearing half-drunk all the time, and it only seems to get worse as years go by, so i'm kinda fearing the worst for the 2017 movie.

Me too.  I liked Alicia's acting about 15 years ago (we're the same age) but in the last few years I've found her really hard to watch because of the overacting.  I'm planning to skip her movie this year...

• Love 5
18 hours ago, twoods said:

Didn't know he was in a Christmas movie. Did you mean the Mistletoe Promise? An actor who looks similar to him is in that (Luke MacFarlane), but is a much better actor than Ryan. I enjoyed him in Christmas Land, which is on right now.

I caught the end of Christmas Melody with Lacy Chabert, and I forgot that it was another decent movie. Lacy was a fashion designer instead of a baker, so that was different. I also saw Fir Crazy with Sarah Lancaster that came out a few years ago, and that was another movie that I enjoyed. 

The commercials for Cameron's twin movie looks like pure torture. Why couldn't they have gotten the Mowry twins to play actual TWINS instead of Cameron playing both characters? Idiots.

I am looking forward to Alicia Witt and David Alpay's new movie next week. I like both actors and hope they have decent chemistry.

Oh, OK.  Can't keep all the names of the movies straight.  And that actor really does look like Ryan P.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

On another note, I'm trying to get through Up's A Very Country Christmas, and i'm struggling to stay awake (and yet, it seems to be better produced and/or have a bigger budget than some Hallmark movies... maybe it's just the fact that there were tons of real snow when they shot it)

(hey, just noticed a new movie, A Christmas Prince, on Netflix, with Rose McIver as the lead. I like her.)

I completely forgot about that movie (was it the Christmas List?). She was terrible in it, but I liked her in Very Merry Mixup and Christmas at Cartwrights so will the new movie a try. The commercials look promising.

I am interested in how Jodie Sweetin will do as a romantic lead in Finding Santa. The movie looks like it has potential, but my expectations are pretty low nowadays.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

That's true. She did seem a little drunk in that Christmas List one. I'm hoping it was a fluke cause like Twoods, I also enjoyed her in Mixup and Cartwrights. I also liked her on Backyard Wedding and she wasn't too bad in I'm Not Ready For Christmas, though that one didn't impress me much at first (it grew on me though). 

I know I shouldn't get my hopes up but I'm excited about Danica's movie tomorrow. The story sounds interesting and apparently, there's a book. I need to grab that after the show. Can't wait for Autumn's movie too. It's been a minute since she's had a Hallmark movie it seems.

• Love 1
On 11/14/2017 at 6:07 PM, twoods said:

Yes, Naughty and Nice is a pretty decent movie and one that I have saved in my DVR, along with Matchmaker Santa. That was back before I got annoyed with Lacey and her Hallmark overexposure.

I caught the Christmas Parade finally, a movie that I avoided because I can't stand the acting style of AnnaLynne McCord, but it wasn't that bad. I could get past her acting tics and enjoy the storyline. 

I have really enjoyed the Mrs Miracle movies and am bummed that they are replaying them on the HMM channel. It's not worth the extra money to add a tier to cable, but it seems a shame most of the good movies are on the movie channel. Damn you, Hallmark!

I found the Mrs Miracle movies on Amazon very cheap.  I bought them.

• Love 1

I felt the Danica movie, Coming Home for Christmas (not Christmas Homecoming which was on the same night but is HMM--why they went with such similar titles on the same night escapes me) was pretty decent.

I felt it was a sequel, in spirit if not actuality, to A Crown for Christmas.  Or a reboot.  Look at all the parallels.  Her character just lost her job and takes on a position she hasn't done before for a rich family.  Her love interest had a stiff upper lip and she softens him up.  She mentioned working as a nanny in the past. Instead of winning over a child, she has to win over her love interest's grandmother.  There's a ball where she gets to wow him with her beauty.

Of course it fails in that it doesn't feel as extravagant as Crown and certainly not as extravagant as they claim it is.  I had to laugh when she burst into the room she was staying in to find her love interest since it's normally his room.  That room?  Smaller than my room.  Seriously, for such a HUGE house, as we were told, that bedroom was pathetic in size.  I also had to laugh when she told the story of how her parents had a $20 date challenge. Danica's 40-something but even if her character was mid-30s, that would put her parents' first date back in the late 70s/early 80s.  You could have a pretty good date on $20--certainly better than grilled cheese sandwiches.

But in spite of those drawbacks, its tropey mctropes were the kind of tropes I eat up so I found it easy to watch. 

• Love 6

I agree- despite the tropes, I loved it. I think the chemistry between the characters was great, and I liked the whole family. Also unlike Crown for Christmas, they had more than two conversations so I bought them falling in love. There also wasn't such a big deal that he was rich and she was not, unlike other movies in the past. It was really cute and definitely kept it on my DVR for a rewatch. It doesn't hurt that Neal Bledsoe is very nice to look at- I hope he's in future Hallmark movies.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Totally true! Something felt more natural in thus movie, unlike most Hallmark movies. The characters spoke normally - example: when he’s in her mom’s kitchen explaining and the sister goes “what?!” From the other room. Made me laugh. 

Real talk: Who is styling Danica’s hair? Is it her? Because it always looks super dated! Her formal updos (also in CFC in which I thought her hair looked terrible in the ball scene), always look very old-fashioned. And the bump in the back of her head during business casual days. It’s like a little girl is doing her hair. She’s my age, but even I know what a modern do looks like. It looked best in the Christmas morning scene, down and wavy. They need to fire that stylist!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, twoods said:

I agree- despite the tropes, I loved it. I think the chemistry between the characters was great, and I liked the whole family. Also unlike Crown for Christmas, they had more than two conversations so I bought them falling in love. There also wasn't such a big deal that he was rich and she was not, unlike other movies in the past. It was really cute and definitely kept it on my DVR for a rewatch. It doesn't hurt that Neal Bledsoe is very nice to look at- I hope he's in future Hallmark movies.

I love both movies. I handwave Crown for Christmas somewhat, as I have decided to tell myself that their nighttime ride by horseback lasted for hours (it was still dark when they returned but could still be hours) and they likely talked much of that time. Which would be more talking than anyone in any movie since the movies are all 2 hours total minus commercials! ;) Plus they did a nice job showing each of them watching the other person as they interacted with people around them and did kind or admirable things, in addition to their convos. And Theodora quoting Allie frequently. The quotes showed a bit more about who Allie was as a person, too. Even so, their great chemistry and the whole feel of the movie and other things we've already discussed about CFC are enough for me. I was able to escape to that world and didn't get caught up nitpicking, which I do with a lot of the other lesser movies. Although at the end, I would have preferred if he had said he was falling in love with someone else and not that he WAS in love with someone else, because even if they did have a long convo while riding they still barely knew each other, even just time wise. I know that's a problem for most of these movies, but I was hoping that one would avoid it. 

• Love 2

That's how I felt about the Mrs Miracle books.  This is Debbie Macomber, they weren't dark, but there were extra characters and plot lines that got dropped for the movies and I felt that this really worked.  I don't always feel that way, sometimes it's pretty irritating when I watch a movie and realize the only thing it has in common with the book is the title!   

• Love 1

I haven't read the book that Danica's new movie is based on, but from a description of the book and some of the reviews, I suspect that's one where I'd prefer the movie. It sounds like the love triangle was more of a true triangle in the book, and I HATE triangles. From what I could tell with the movie, it was always Robert for her character, and she was more flattered/amused by Kip and recognized him for the casual guy that he was. 

I think we had the drinking game stuff in this thread and not the holiday one....if so, another one to add to the list: drink when people can open their gifts by just pulling off the top instead of needing to tear through wrapping paper first. 

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 1

Didn't hate Coming Home for Christmas, but it felt very been there, seen that, and it didn't help the déjà vu that Andrew Francis was already in one of the previous 2017 Hallmark Christmas movies. Also, the fake snow and the Folgers/Balsam Hill product placement were kinda obvious (seriously, opening the first scene on a product placement shot ? *sigh*). There was chemistry between the characters, though, and I liked seeing Chelan Simmons in a small part. So, all in all, it was okay, nothing more.

(holy poop, 10 Christmas movies, next week... O_o )

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

Did Andrew Francis lose weight? That was something that distracted me a bit during the movie. He seemed too thin, almost sickly. I don't remember thinking that about him before.

Agreed.  Thin and wan.    

I still want to cut his hair.  And why would they put him in a sweater from the junior's department in the gingerbread house scene?  

Edited by VartanFan
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

Did Andrew Francis lose weight? That was something that distracted me a bit during the movie. He seemed too thin, almost sickly. I don't remember thinking that about him before.

Yeah, he looked really thin and nothing like the way he looks on Chesapeake Shores. I hope he's okay.

Was that snow fake? It looked more real than in some of the other movies this year. What do I know anyways about snow since I live in Southern California. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, twoods said:

Yeah, he looked really thin and nothing like the way he looks on Chesapeake Shores. I hope he's okay.

Was that snow fake? It looked more real than in some of the other movies this year. What do I know anyways about snow since I live in Southern California. 

Sadly, yes. Danica mentioned it was 90 degrees when they were filming. They seemed to use some canned shots of the nature scenes, which may have helped - those were beautiful. 

• Love 2

I really enjoyed Bramble House Christmas. Under the right circumstances and writing, they can continue it into a really good series. The B&B looked really cozy. Heck, I wouldn't mind staying there! So glad to see Autumn back on my screen again. And although I don't usually like the dude, he did more than just make faces here and had an interesting character arc. I liked the niece (is that Prue from All Things Valentine??) and Scout was adorable. This one and Danica's movie are two that I'm really looking forward to seeing again in the future. I'll probably keep an eye out for the DVDs. Adding the book to my reading pile next.

Edited by MissyPoo
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Am I  seeing wrong or is Colin Ferguson, from Every Christmas Has A Story,  the same guy as in the Maytag commercials?  I can't stand those commercials with the women crawling all over him, treating him like an appliance they're buying.  

Yes that is him. Personally I am more jealous of the people that get to crawl over him. 

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Aliconehead said:

Yes that is him. Personally I am more jealous of the people that get to crawl over him. 

I would fly to wherever they film those commercials at my own expense in a hot second if it meant I got to crawl over him. And they'd have to peel me off. Aliconehead, you have impeccable taste. 

I enjoyed Bramble House Christmas too, MissyPoo. Of course, Autumn Reeser is far and away my favorite Hallmark movie actress, which helps. I would love to see this become a series with her in a regular role. The story was good enough that I got up during commercials and raced through getting ready for bed and work today because I didn't want to miss anything. And I thought the little boy who played her son was adorable, which is unusual for me because I have a low tolerance for cute TV/movie kids. Between this, the Danica movie, and the Michael Shanks movie, it was a good Hallmark movie weekend for me!

ETA: KLovestoShop, you are similarly gifted in the taste department.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

Oh, I think he's massively hot, one of the kind of guys I call a real man, and not one of those metrosexual  looking guys who are so popular in Hollywood right now.   I just don't like those commercials.  But at least, Colin is making the big bucks with all the commercials.  

• Love 3

I agree- despite the tropes, I loved it. I think the chemistry between the characters was great, and I liked the whole family. Also unlike Crown for Christmas, they had more than two conversations so I bought them falling in love. 

I also appreciated that Danica toned down the eye make-up/false lashes that I found soooooo distracting during Crown for Christmas

• Love 4

I'm not sure what to think of A Gift to Remember. On one hand, I really liked Ali Liebert as the lead, the dog was adorable, the supporting cast was likeable, and it wasn't a bore to watch, but on the other hand, the writing was really on the nose (it was exposition central, most of the time), the amnesia gimmick is always a stretch (and the overall mystery identity plot was very predictable), Christmas was barely more than set dressing for most of the movie, and it sometimes really felt like the cast & crew got one single note "be whimsical, light-hearted & energetic, at all costs". A mixed bag, as far as i'm concerned, but once again, I didn't hate it, and I want more Liebert movies.

• Love 1

A Gift To Remember felt off brand to me.  It was so serious for a Hallmark Channel movie.  It should have been a Hallmark Movies & Mysteries movie.  That shouldn't bother me but for some reason it did.  I would have preferred it be just a tad lighter, especially since Ali Liebert has the right personality for comedy.  I was happy to see her in the lead.  And Peter Porte is one of my favorite faces to look at. 

Plus, I loved how present Tina Lifford (Vi from Queen Sugar) was.  She was in it a lot and she was terrific.  Still not a lead role but much more present than a brief cameo. 

I must say, I thought that Peter Porte's character was going to be the author of the book Ali was reading.  And we were going to have another situation where his face should be on the bookcover that she should see. 

• Love 2

The thing that I couldn't get past in A Gift To Remember (besides all the HPAA law breaking) was the fact that we are supposed to believe they let a dog chill out at a hospital like it's NBD. Not like a hospital isn't supposed to be a sterile environment or anything. Oh, hey, let's let him lay on the amnesiac's bed.

Really liked a Bramble House Christmas. The cast was great, the atmosphere felt right, the writing & acting were somewhat more subtle than usual, and aside from the cheap children book illustrations, and the last-minute usual dramatic shenanigans (which really felt forced, and should have been fixed with an adult conversation between those nuanced characters), it was probably the most satisfying Hallmark movie this year, as far as i'm concerned.

13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

A Gift To Remember felt off brand to me.  It was so serious for a Hallmark Channel movie.  It should have been a Hallmark Movies & Mysteries movie.

I had the same thought during the movie. I think they didn't really know if they wanted to go in such a serious & realistic direction, à la HM&M, and so on, or if they'd rather have it be more comedic, with the kooky Christmas-obsessed landlord, and a more klutzy, lighter lead (that said, at least there was a mixed couple in the movie, yay !)

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 1
On 11/18/2017 at 11:16 PM, Irlandesa said:

Of course it fails in that it doesn't feel as extravagant as Crown and certainly not as extravagant as they claim it is.  I had to laugh when she burst into the room she was staying in to find her love interest since it's normally his room.  That room?  Smaller than my room.  Seriously, for such a HUGE house, as we were told, that bedroom was pathetic in size.  I also had to laugh when she told the story of how her parents had a $20 date challenge.

Re: Coming Home for Christmas

The producers must have had a similarly tight budget for the film. Why base a film on a grand old estate if you can't afford to shoot in (or even outside of) a grand old estate? The exterior they shot was one of a big newer build and the interiors looked like a new upper middle class home. I couldn't get around it. Not one thing seemed old or grand. That bedroom that was supposed to belong to the son, looked like a closet, and we're supposed to believe that that was the dining room ... I repeat dining room ... of a fabled estate? Really? The hell? They should not have gone through with the project until they could secure the right location. It's the basis of the whole story.

I also kept thinking of the grandmother as a poor man's Judge Judy.

On 11/20/2017 at 10:17 AM, sacrebleu said:

I also appreciated that Danica toned down the eye make-up/false lashes that I found soooooo distracting during Crown for Christmas

Actually Danica Patrick's eye makeup was one my favorite things about the CforC. Shy and unassuming, yet wearing deep purple eyeshadow... for a daytime look? Get down girl, go 'head, get down.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

Re: Coming Home for Christmas

The producers must have had a similarly tight budget for the film. Why base a film on a grand old estate if you can't afford to shoot in (or even outside of) a grand old estate? The exterior they shot was one of a big newer build and the interiors looked like a new upper middle class home. I couldn't get around it. Not one thing seemed old or grand. That bedroom that was supposed to belong to the son, looked like a closet, and we're supposed to believe that that was the dining room of a grand old estate? Really? The hell? They should not have gone through with the project until they could secure the right location. It's the basis of the story.

I also kept thinking of the grandmother as a poor man's Judge Judy.

Exactly. They should have said the "estate" was 7000 sq feet instead of 20K to make it more believable. At least grandma's suite was pretty big, but the kitchen wasn't even that big for such a big home and that bedroom was laughable. At least the room that they had the party in was huge- maybe that took up 10k of space.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, twoods said:

and that bedroom was laughable

The very least they could have done was chosen a living room or family room from the house and put his bedroom furniture in it, to make the home seem larger. Or, you know, put up substantial Christmas decorations other than say four garlands here and there. The set designer was in a deep funk on this one.

• Love 4

I finally watched Crown for Christmas.  Although it was 1000% predictable, I liked it.  Primarily I liked it because the leads were attractive, the scenery and sets were beautiful, and the supporting characters were well-cast.  The little girl was adorable and a perfect little actor.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, susannot said:

I finally watched Crown for Christmas.  Although it was 1000% predictable, I liked it.  

Isn’t “1000% predictability” why we watch these?

plus, I dispute that percentage.  Gotta knock off ten percentage points for “You had me at ‘sewing kit’!”

On 11/18/2017 at 11:47 PM, twoods said:

Also unlike Crown for Christmas, they had more than two conversations 

Thank heavens I can’t fall asleep, because I got here just in time to defend my movie!

1. Running into him with the hotel cart

2. Job instructions w/curtsy*

3. Stable

4. Crowning the tree

5. Horseback ride: during

6. Horseback ride: after/almost kiss

7. Locked in the greenhouse

8. Dance

9. Proposal

That’s 9! Count’em! Nine! convos when they were alone (*or almost alone).

*runs around the thread with the Rocky theme playing*

• Love 2

That’s 9! Count’em! Nine! convos when they were alone (*or almost alone).

For me, I’d have preferred that we see more of what they talked about on the horse ride and had them in the greenhouse longer to get to know each other.  I just infer that they talked A LOT on the horseback ride.  :). And I wish it had taken a bit longer for the kid to like her - Of course, I compare all of these types of situations to Au Pair...a movie I will defend to the death.  

• Love 4

What’s the reasoning behind the Happy Yule Log on Murders and Mysteries?   I mean, if the reasoning is to give staff the day off, then they would have the Yule log on both channels.  And, considering I just can’t stomach the incessant yammering of the people who are anchoring the Macy’s Parade, I’m looking for movies.  

Count me in as another who was happy to see Danica tone down the eye makeup.  On C for C, all I thought was she was wearing caterpillars and someone gave her two black eyes.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
4 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

My unpopular opinion is that I have not liked many of Danica's recent movies, because I find her line delivery so flat. It might be because I have watched many of her movies in a short period of time though.

I very much agree with this. Her acting is really bad to me and she does this weird overly earnest thing with her face that I assume is supposed to express sincere emotion, but instead comes across to me as borderline crazy. It also doesn't help to watch any of these movies in rapid succession. If I watch more than 1 of Danica's, Lacey's or Alicia's movies at a time, it's just painful. Their acting is laughingly bad. Plus, then I really question my choices in life lol!

• Love 6

Can't say I've been particularly convinced by With Love, Christmas. I liked both leads, but the supporting cast was unmemorable, & the overall Secret Santa meets You've got mail plot just left me really cold. Also, ad agencies with office rivalries are amongst the settings I just don't care for, in a rom-com, so it didn't help.

(on another note, the snow was all over the place... real, fake, none, stock shots, foam, cheap artificial snow...  and let's not forget the occasional close-up with digital snow added on top)

• Love 6
13 hours ago, voiceover said:

Isn’t “1000% predictability” why we watch these?

plus, I dispute that percentage.  Gotta knock off ten percentage points for “You had me at ‘sewing kit’!”

Thank heavens I can’t fall asleep, because I got here just in time to defend my movie!

1. Running into him with the hotel cart

2. Job instructions w/curtsy*

3. Stable

4. Crowning the tree

5. Horseback ride: during

6. Horseback ride: after/almost kiss

7. Locked in the greenhouse

8. Dance

9. Proposal

That’s 9! Count’em! Nine! convos when they were alone (*or almost alone).

*runs around the thread with the Rocky theme playing*

Nice! I meant two conversations before she was acting all angsty in the greenhouse. I'm just bitter because they had such great chemistry, and I wanted to see more of their conversation at the stable and horseback ride. It's nice that they showed more of her relationship with the daughter, by a few extra minutes of flirting with eachother would have been nice to see. Maybe more of that and not the annoying dutchess, or the ridiculous angst with the "stolen" ring.

56 minutes ago, twoods said:

a few extra minutes of flirting with each other would have been nice to see. 

Co-sign.  And maybe a scene where she catches him shoveling out the stable.  Shirtless & sweaty.

Anybody here write fanfic?

• Love 3

I actually rather enjoyed the Yule Log on HMM! I usually don’t watch it but starting last night I would find myself drawn to it for some odd reason. Hasn’t it only been cats in the past? This afternoon they had a pig and it was the cutest thing! Anyhow, my young children enjoyed checking out the pets in between their activities and since my house is an “open concept” I had the pets on in the kitchen and football on in the living room which was cool. 

I liked With Love, Christmas last night. I thought the leads had good chemistry and I enjoyed the Secret Santa aspect to it. It did take me until 3/4 way through the movie to realize that there were two different brunettes. I thought the office friend and the other Christmas enthusiast were one in the same for far too long! 

• Love 8

I saw The Christmas Cure (for insomnia). I haven’t seen the lead before (a ringer for Debbie Matenopoulos) and her love interest seemed like an obligatory plot point rather than anything a viewer might root for, but the father/daughter angle was nice. I always find Patrick Duffy likable. Still, there wasn’t much to this.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
You try spelling “Matenopoulos” without looking.

They show the yule log because people apparently like to have a yule log on their TV.  I remember it used to be on Channel 3 as a kid. (Unless I'm mistaking what is aired on HMM--I didn't watch.)

I finally got around to A Bramble House Christmas.  I didn't like it as much as many here.  It was put together rather well with good leads but I think there was too much of the kid for me.  And it annoyed me that the sister had to go from being someone who didn't seem as convinced as her brother that Autumn's character had manipulated her late father to becoming the vigilant "we must expose her" once the movie had made the male lead fall in love with Autumn.  And as soon as she blew everything up, she decided she was wrong.  The contrivances, like always getting interrupted before he could confess, bugged more than usual.

One thing I love about the numerous Christmas movies is that sometimes the supporting actors get to move to lead which is what happened with A Gift to Remember and With Love, Christmas where Dale from Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies became the lead. I just wish they had been slightly better movies.  While I liked the actors in With Love, Christmas, I am sick of movies that are so focused on the specifics of Christmas.  On the surface, it was about creating an advertising campaign, but really it was about getting the male lead to love Christmas so he could help her create the campaign.  They wasted so much of the movie liking Christmas cookies and lights and so many things that have no narrative value. 

To top it off, the ad they came up with for Christmas (even though it's too late to actually do a Christmas campaign) sucked.  It wouldn't make me want to buy a phone; it'd make me want to buy a snow blower. 

On the other hand, Mistletoe Inn pleasantly surprised me.  *high five Hallmark*  I think it was the best movie and performance from Alicia Witt in ages.  It didn't feel like she was trying so hard to make it work and that's probably because her love interest was just so very good.  I want him to be my Hallmark boyfriend.  Unlike With Love, Christmas the goal here actually was a profession.  It wasn't love.  It wasn't Christmas.  It was how to move forward as a writer.  It had the same "hidden identity" plot as Bramble House but without all the interruptions and a more believable reason why he'd keep that hidden. 

The banter was really cute, Zeke had a lot of personality and energy which was a good match for Alicia, and I appreciated how the story of them falling in love wasn't told with a focus on their feelings but rather on their intellectual connection.  The ex-boyfriend was a delightful spoiler without the usual ex-boyfriend/other boyfriend tropes.  I could see myself watching that one again.

• Love 4

I love the actor that played Zeke in Mistletoe Inn. Every movie he's been in he's brought so much energy and chemistry. They played very well off each other and I liked their banter and jokes (him making fun of her whale white noise cracked me up). I agree that Alicia Witt toned it down a lot, but the ex boyfriend was pretty annoying (too bad because I liked him in Season's Greetings). 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

To top it off, the ad they came up with for Christmas (even though it's too late to actually do a Christmas campaign) sucked.  It wouldn't make me want to buy a phone; it'd make me want to buy a snow blower. 

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I struggle so much with ad agency-based movies : more often than not, the characters are supposed to be those brilliant ad creators, but the movie writers are really not, and the "ads" tend to be mediocre, at best.

• Love 6