Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, JasmineFlower said:

Hmm...so, @AnnaRose you like movies with a magical aspect, but didn't like Alicia Witt's I'm Not Ready for Christmas? So, maybe it's really just not liking Alicia much in these, which is understandable and you're not the only one who holds that opinion. Maybe not the worst thing that you missed A Very Merry Mixup, though I'd say that's one of the better ones she's made, just still not my favorite.

Other possibilities to add are Mrs. Miracle with James Van Der Beek and Erin Karpluk, and both Family for Christmas and Matchmaker Santa with Lacey Chabert and A Dream for Christmas with Nikki Deloach and Andrew Walker for their magical aspects. And add My Christmas Love with Meredith Hagner and Gregory Harrison and On the Twelfth Day of Christmas with Robin Dunne for their Christmas related activities. A non-Hallmark one to keep an eye on is A Christmas Wedding Date with Marla Sokoloff and Chris Carmack which would fit into the first category as well. It's most likely to air on Lifetime at this point (it was on there a week ago), but could also air on ION, where it originally premiered.

Thanks so much for the recommendations, JasmineFlower!  I will look for those.

So... I'm Not Ready For Christmas has a magical component?   I didn't realize it since I recorded it by mistake and only watched the beginning of it.

I'm in the middle of watching The Most Wonderful Time of the Year and I'm really enjoying it!   Henry Winkler is fantastic in it! 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

So... I'm Not Ready For Christmas has a magical component?   I didn't realize it since I recorded it by mistake and only watched the beginning of it.

I'm in the middle of watching The Most Wonderful Time of the Year and I'm really enjoying it!   Henry Winkler is fantastic in it! 

The Most Wonderful Time of Year is an all time favorite on Hallmark for many, that's why they show it constantly even though it's 10 years old now.

I'm Not Ready for Christmas is kind of a Liar, Liar but at Christmas with a female lead. So not the same kind of a magical component as Naughty or Nice, but something else is at work getting her to constantly tell the truth. Quite a few Hallmark movies take the general theme of a well-known movie and adapt it for Christmas on the small screen. Family for Christmas and A Dream for Christmas are two of the many loose takes on It's a Wonderful Life or really The Family Man with Nicolas Cage is the more apt inspiration, though that clearly draws off from the former.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Also try to catch Snow Bride (I think you already DVRed it) and Let it Snow (with Candace Cameron)- both of those movies are very good and entertaining. Best Christmas Party Ever is also good, not taking into account the horrible title. Every Christmas Has a Story is also decent (and has a Santa aspect to it).

I am watching Finding Santa but Jodie's over the top facial expressions are annoying. The lead actor, however, is very good. I can't believe he's married to Roslyn Sanchez- she is absolutely gorgeous. Wouldn't mind seeing her in a Hallmark movie.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, twoods said:

Also try to catch Snow Bride (I think you already DVRed it) and Let it Snow (with Candace Cameron)- both of those movies are very good and entertaining. Best Christmas Party Ever is also good, not taking into account the horrible title. Every Christmas Has a Story is also decent (and has a Santa aspect to it).

I am watching Finding Santa but Jodie's over the top facial expressions are annoying. The lead actor, however, is very good. I can't believe he's married to Roslyn Sanchez- she is absolutely gorgeous. Wouldn't mind seeing her in a Hallmark movie.

I recommend doing an image search of Eric Winter if you're not familiar with him (I've been a fan since Brothers & Sisters, but he's been in a number of shows). Haven't seen the movie yet, so not sure if it's his best look or not. But take a look, because he is also gorgeous, they are well matched looks wise.

Agree with those recommendations, especially Snow Bride and Every Christmas Has a Story. Best Christmas Party Ever really is a terrible title, they didn't think that one through.

• Love 2

Man, Switched for Christmas really was blander than anything I expected. It just felt like everyone was on autopilot (except maybe Eion Bailey). I strongly considered skipping it due to my strong indifference to CCB (just like I'm gonna skip this weekend's Christmas at Holly Lodge & Christmas Magical Ornaments due to me not giving a damn about Alison Sweeney & Jessica Lowndes) but my s.o. really likes the Teagarden series and wanted to give this one a try.

I should have seen such blandness coming...

(also might be skipping Lifetime's My Christmas Prince with Alexis Knapp, depending on how much it's xeroxed on other similar movies... i've had my fill of magical Xmas princes & royalty wedding)

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Kaoteek said:

Man, Switched for Christmas really was blander than anything I expected. It just felt like everyone was on autopilot (except maybe Eion Bailey). I strongly considered skipping it due to my strong indifference to CCB (just like I'm gonna skip this weekend's Christmas at Holly Lodge & Christmas Magical Ornaments due to me not giving a damn about Alison Sweeney & Jessica Lowndes) but my s.o. really likes the Teagarden series and wanted to give this one a try.

(also might be skipping Lifetime's My Christmas Prince with Alexis Knapp, depending on how much it's xeroxed on other similar movies... i've had my fill of magical Xmas princes & royalty wedding)

I've had my fill of royal movies too. There's one on ION this year called A Royal Christmas Ball that is the same theme but with an aged king who they want us to believe is 39. Ingo doesn't really look royal fantasy to me or 39.

Dateless for the Christmas ball, 39-year-old bachelor, King Charles of Baltania, tracks down his American college sweetheart, only to discover Allison has never been married, yet raised a 17-year-old daughter, Lily, who mathematically might be Charles' biological princess.

show-gallery-a-royal-christmas-ball-5a03

None of the Royal theme Christmas movies have topped A Princess for Christmas.

Edited by In2You
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, In2You said:

I've had my fill of royal movies too. There's one on ION this year called A Royal Christmas Ball that is the same theme but with an aged king who they want us to believe is 39. Ingo doesn't really look royal fantasy to me or 39.

20 minutes ago, twoods said:

I love Ingo so am looking forward to it, but 39? Come on, Ion.

OMG, I just looked it up on my DVR. Tara Reid is in this? And..maybe the baby mama?

Recording set. Liquor to be bought.

• Love 6
On 11/29/2017 at 9:05 AM, Atlanta said:

I wonder when we'll be getting the Hallmark movie of Harry and Meghan? They did one for William and Kate back when they married. 

She has a history with Hallmark, too, so they could make a whole day of it if they wanted: a mix of princess movies and Meghan's old movies leading up to the premiere of the Harry/Meghan movie. Lifetime did a William & Kate movie so if there are dueling takes on the story, it'll be fun to compare.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, In2You said:

Love me some Jax, but I completely agree. Not only has Ingo not looked like he's in his 30s for some time, he's playing a 39 year old who falls for Tara Reid. Doesn't sound remotely royal fantasy to me. I feel like the powers that be made this age decision because of Tara, when there was truly no need. There's a lot of hard living on that face, no one would question her playing someone in their 40s.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

I tried watching Switched for Christmas on premiere day but checked out about 10/20 minutes in. I chalked it up to overload but left it on the dvr. From what little I saw, it felt just as the previews hinted at: CCB didn't have the chops to pull off two distinct personalities. it felt like it was a xerox copy of herself in the scenes. I went back to watch it again recently and even on mute, the Mr noticed the same thing. It was just there and half the time I had no idea who was supposed to be who because they seemed like the same person. But yea, bland pretty much describes it.

• Love 2

Honestly, the simple fact that despite not seeing or talking much to each other, and despite having very different lifestyles, both sisters had basically the exact same hair color, cut, length, highlights, and so on right from the start just showed how little they cared. They didn't even bothered with a wig, or something, to have them look a tad different (granted, given the usual Hallmark budget, a wig would probably have been barely above cheap Halloween costume grade, but still...)

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

Honestly, the simple fact that despite not seeing or talking much to each other, and despite having very different lifestyles, both sisters had basically the exact same hair color, cut, length, highlights, and so on right from the start just showed how little they cared. They didn't even bothered with a wig, or something, to have them look a tad different (granted, given the usual Hallmark budget, a wig would probably have been barely above cheap Halloween costume grade, but still...)

Oh but they did have a wig. I really noticed in the final home scenes when they used it on a CCB double when they used both sisters but one was from the back. Yes! Horrible Halloween wig.

• Love 1

Here as the Royal Trivia Recorder for Crown for Christmas...

I'm in to production design, which is another reason I love this movie above other Hallmark ones = some great furniture in the castle, and Allie's apartment is both original and very non-boring.  Her Christmas decorations are mostly silver, blue, and fun.  They're much better than the royal ones.

Hey, after 57 viewings, not surprising that I'm finding new things to love.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

I tried watching Switched for Christmas on premiere day but checked out about 10/20 minutes in. I chalked it up to overload but left it on the dvr. From what little I saw, it felt just as the previews hinted at: CCB didn't have the chops to pull off two distinct personalities. it felt like it was a xerox copy of herself in the scenes. I went back to watch it again recently and even on mute, the Mr noticed the same thing. It was just there and half the time I had no idea who was supposed to be who because they seemed like the same person. But yea, bland pretty much describes it.

She should've just produced it and had her friends Tia and Tamera star

• Love 4

I went over to Mom's house and caught the second half of CCB's twin movie and the two characters were exactly alike and the makeup person must hate her because the makeup was very severe. The red lip was really harsh on her and that red dress with the big sleeves looked straight from the 80s.

Caught the beginning of Ashley's William's movie.  She's so overly perky and fake acting it's like a parody. Is she like this in every movie?

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, In2You said:

I went over to Mom's house and caught the second half of CCB's twin movie and the two characters were exactly alike and the makeup person must hate her because the makeup was very severe. The red lip was really harsh on her and that red dress with the big sleeves looked straight from the 80s.

Caught the beginning of Ashley's William's movie.  She's so overly perky and fake acting it's like a parody. Is she like this in every movie?

Yeah, Ashley Williams has always been overly perky (it seems to be how she mostly is IRL), but her acting took a hit when she started doing Hallmark movies. It usually doesn't bother me too much, though (except in Love on a Limb).

As for CCB's cheesy red dress... apparently, it's "stunning", a "must-buy", and tons of viewers asked Hallmark where to find it (ASOS, for what it's worth...)

Edited by Kaoteek
27 minutes ago, seasons said:

Ugh. Ashley Williams in this Evergreen movie. She can't act her way out of a paper bag. Never seen her in anything else - maybe it is just the first 42 minutes of this movie? 

Yeah I knew it was time to leave because 30 minutes in and her acting was horrible! 

• Love 1

I watched "Home for Christmas Day" from HMM this morning.  Not to be confused with "home for Christmas", "a Christmas homecoming" and a dozen other similarly titled movies.  This one is about an 18 year old girl who begins a relationship with a soldier against her mother's wishes.  I thought it was pretty good.  The ending was ridiculous.  

SPOILERS!!

So he was in the girls hometown for 2 weeks during which they start dating.  He gets shipped off someplace a week before Christmas, then gets sent someplace else, gets mistakenly proclaimed dead (at a high School choir concert, lol what), then shows up for a Christmas party at her house.  Again, all this happens in a week.  That flight home would take like a day, not to mention the time spent in the hospital with his TWO BROKEN LEGS.

Overall an enjoyable film with the usual Hallmark ridiculousness mixed in.  

Playing catch up on Hallmark movies. So all of these are ones that originally premiered at least a week ago.

Bramble House Christmas - I enjoyed the movie a lot. They tried to ruin that like with that sister in the end, but I still enjoyed it. Autumn is great in this. The lead guy is much better than I would've thought, he's been just so so in stuff before. The kid is cute and an important part of the story, so thankfully he's likable and not annoying. I like the owner's niece as well. There's just a lot to like here. Worst part of the movie to me is that the screenwriter apparently forgot that she wrote the sister as barely caring about the will and talking her brother down from his tactics at the beginning of the movie, to being all indignant about the will and getting hers by the end. Truly unnecessary to have included that. The conflict at the end could've just been Autumn finding the injunction papers and that he'd been lying to her the entire time. No need for the sister to undergo a lobotomy from the beginning to the end.

Christmas in the Air - I really wanted to love this, because I loved Eric Close in it. Almost everything about him was great. He carries the movie. Catherine Bell's face is distracting as usual but she's pretty good in this, even if her character isn't one I could truly enjoy. She's a little rigid but that's the character. I didn't mind the kids here at all. But the uncle/brother? I wanted to knock his ass out multiple times throughout the damn movie. Just kept pissing me off. Making promises that had nothing to do with him. Not seeming to grasp his brother's problems at all. Telling his brother he had some important work to do in front of his niece and nephew, who apparently adore him, as he implies spending time with them is not nearly as important. I just didn't like the way he was written at all and it was at odds with what we knew about him at times. Speaking as a doting aunt myself, I can't imagine this doting uncle not being more sympathetic or helpful where his brother and kids are concerned. They adored him, they spent a night with him every week, they ran and jumped with joy at the sight of him. Yet, all he does is dump more on his widowed brother's plate after expressing he needs to spend more time with the kids and they are not dealing well with the mom being gone? It just didn't add up and it made me hate the character. Also, could've used a different setting for the first kiss that wasn't the daughter's Christmas pageant with her nervous on stage looking on as her Dad kisses another woman while holding the snow globe that is a present from her deceased mother that the daughter needed as a source of strength to make it through the show. I was surprised that's where they did it, think the scene before would've been more appropriate.

And, I want that Nutcracker hologram toy. Badly. Name your price.

A Gift to Remember - So, the lead Darcy is a tad Pollyanna. She's likable, but it's a bit much for me. And I liked Aiden and Bailey the dog is adorable. The amnesiac storyline is nothing new, but it works okay especially since he remembers his dog. In general, there's nothing over the top that you're gonna go crazy for, but a pleasant movie. But, two problems for me, one minor and one major, that may or may not matter to you. The first is because they set this in Philadelphia, but apparently know jack about the city. So, I burst out laughing multiple times based on Philly things. I really appreciate them choosing a city to set the movie in. Feel like Hallmark has been listening to feedback this year because I'd say it's more common to feature a city in their movies this year than a small or rural town. And when they haven't, they aren't denigrating city people when it's set in a small town this time around, so a welcome change. But it's not hard to either research the city you are using or hire a consultant briefly to find out more so that the references to the city feel more authentic.

On a related note - the second, more significant problem and why I likely won't watch it again - and a major pet peeve in real life for me - Darcy harping on not being able to find any Christmas stuff in Aiden's condo and judging him for it? Hard Pass! I can't stand this shit and I'm quite serious about it. Not only should we not be judging how others celebrate during the holidays, but Christmas is a religious holiday. People seem to forget that entirely too often. And as I've had to tell a few numbnuts I've overheard in my area complaining about it, the Philadelphia region has a large Jewish population. We say "Season's Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" in this area for a reason not that we need to justify saying that over "Merry Christmas." So, to say that part of the movie fell very flat for me is an understatement. I don't care if this is a Christmas movie, some awareness would be good and didn't appreciate the judgy tone like there was something irredeemably wrong with him because he didn't decorate his condo with Christmas decorations. Would've bothered me in any context, but really missed the mark in a Philadelphia setting. Truly, they should've hired a consultant to clue them in on the area.

• Love 2

Wrong season but I'm watching Lisa Whelchel's wedding movie she did with Antonio Cupo a few years back. She still manages to have that Blair charm but Antonio just isn't believable as the dad of a 22-year old gal, unless we're supposed to believe that they had her when he was 15. Still, it's nice to see her and Kim Fields working again. I really don't agree with her views but I do like her in her on-screen roles. She probably could've had a really lengthy Lifetime movie career like Nancy had (back when Lifetime made romantic comedies) if she hadn't almost completely backed away acting save for the one Facts of Life reunion.

Also, the son in that played a young gay guy who gets seduced by cultist Brant Daugherty in a Lifetime movie awhile back so that's kind of funny to watch.

Anyway...so which career woman has learned that she has it all wrong when she wakes up as the wife of a kindly yet hunky guy and mother to adorable kids THIS year?

Edited by methodwriter85

Unpopular opinion:  I enjoy Ashley Williams more than I don't.  I even liked her in this movie; although I do agree that she and Rachel Boston have a similar look and similar perkiness happening.

That said, hard pass on both of the movies tonight. I really wanted to like the one with Ashley because I also like Teddy Spears.  It's so frustrating when that happens--when I like both leads only for the movies to just be meh for me.  Heck, since I like Paul Greene, I think the same problems could be applied to the HMM movie tonight too. I ended up fast forwarding through that after the first 30/40 minutes just to catch the end.

But I'm all caught up--except for Angry Angel.  I'd watch that tomorrow On Demand but I have five movies set to record.  Oy.  I hope some are immediately bad because I just can't do all of that.

• Love 1

For the most part, I enjoyed The Christmas Train because I liked the cast and because it was a bit different from most Hallmark Christmas movies. My one nitpick was when they showed the stop in Toledo, Ohio and they had a lovely shot of the downtown skyline at night.... of Cleveland, Ohio. Probably everyone in Hollywood thinks there's virtually no difference between Toledo and Cleveland but people who live in those cities do.

Edited by anniebird
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, anniebird said:

For the most part, I enjoyed The Christmas Train because I liked the cast and because it was a bit different from most Hallmark Christmas movies. My one nitpick was when they showed the stop in Toledo, Ohio and they had a lovely shot of the downtown skyline at night.... of Cleveland, Ohio. Probably everyone in Hollywood thinks there's virtually no difference between Toledo and Cleveland but people who live in one of those cities do.

Agreed. It wasn't the usual overly sappy holiday movies that are on Hallmark. It actually seemed more like something Lifetime would do, but anyway. I liked this one a lot.  Though about 1/4 of the way through I figured out that all the people on the train were actors hired by Max (It was great seeing Danny Glover again. He's been MIA for a while in part due to his own disenchantment with Hollywood, but in recent years he's start to act again) to get Tom and Ellie back together. 

I also recently saw A Christmas Dream. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as some of the other Christmas movies released in recent years. I think the romance was a little weak because once the main protagonist started living her alternative life, she didn't seem to miss her husband. Though she said she missed him, she made no effort to find out where he was in the new timeline until she needed a photographer to help with a work project. In the end, I believe she could've continued her new life as a successful executive and still been fairly happy without him. Also, I didn't like the fact that once again, the woman gave up her career aspirations to follow her husband and support him. This is a trope that is all too often used in these movies. 

I agree with some thoughts on Christmas in Evergreen. The acting was just okay, and honestly I actually liked the boyfriend and felt bad that he was being dumped after he and the Ashley (cause I can't remember her character's name) finally settled on residing in the same city and starting a life together. 

Edited by Enero

I'm watching Christmas in Angel Falls. I think this will end up in my "keeper" category, even half an hour from the end. Yes, it's corny, and yes, it's saccharine, and I'm sitting here tearing up and loving it.

And Hallmark, Paul Greene should be in EVERY movie you make EVER. I love him beyond all reason. Can you get on that, please? Thank you.

ETA: Okay, now at the end of the movie. Still really love it, and yes--more, more, more Paul Greene, please.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

I agree with some thoughts on Christmas in Evergreen. The acting was just okay, and honestly I actually liked the boyfriend and felt bad that he was being dumped after he and the Ashley (cause I can't remember her character's name) finally settled on residing in the same city and starting a life together. 

I tried.  I have next-to-nothing on my DVR and so I started it in real-time last night.  I turned it off by 50 minutes in.  I also agree about the not-terrible boyfriend.  That actor with the chiseled jaw deserves to not be the dumped/bad guy in one of these movies!

Christmas in Evergreen: I enjoyed it only because I actually found Ashley Williams very appealing, and she had great chemistry with both her leads. But I agree, the DC boyfriend was handsome, sweet, and seemed really sweet on her. I guess the idea is that you can't make it work and have to let go sometimes, even if you love each other, but that's a rather dark theme for this type of movie and I can't believe the boyfriend would just be like, "Oh, well, OK then, see you around." Huh? Hey, Ashley, I'll take him!

I really appreciate them choosing a city to set the movie in. Feel like Hallmark has been listening to feedback this year because I'd say it's more common to feature a city in their movies this year than a small or rural town. And when they haven't, they aren't denigrating city people when it's set in a small town this time around, so a welcome change

Totally agree with this, although I hand-waved it as being a "magical" neighborhood of the city, where everyone was sweet and friendly and there were like two people in the hospital. There actually are small-towny neighborhoods like this in cities, but this was one was certainly touched with a little pixie dust. 

Christmas Train: Good acting all around, and trains are like chocolate to me, so I loved having the whole thing set on one-- I never rode the "Christmas Train" but I was on a train on Christmas Day once and it was fun. I guessed the "twist" ending before it came, and I am usually not one to ever figure those things out, so it wasn't really a surprise but I still enjoyed it. Dermot Mulroney is aging nicely and it's always good to see Joan  Cusack.

Christmas at Holly Lodge:  This was OK, I am getting tired of all the cute kids and would rather have some more cute animals, but I know that's an unreasonable request for this genre/channel so I will zip it.

I keep hearing how great "Bramble Lodge" and "Crown for Christmas" are, am going to see if I can dig them up on demand, or maybe Halllmark will run them again? 

• Love 1

I'm not too big on Hallmark "angel"-type movies - except for a couple of tv movies with very specific leads - but I ended up liking Christmas in Angel Falls more than I thought I would. Granted, there wasn't anything too fresh or original about it, and it dragged a bit, but the cast was very likeable, and that counts for a lot in my book. So it was fine by me.

Except for the awful, dripping, clearly sprayed at the last minute from some sort of street-roaming machine, only covering half of the cars/walls/trees, artificial snow in some scenes. 

On December 1, 2017 at 8:08 PM, Kaoteek said:

I had been keeping track of which was which by the clothes that they were wearing.  Then at the end, after the "big reveal" I became totally confused.  Were they back to their IRL clothes or the switched clothes?  Ugh!  It would have been nice if they each had a different personality or other character trait that distinguished them.

• Love 4

I feel sorry for Marcus R in Christmas in Evergreen. Dude has become the dumped guy so many times that I cringe when I see his name on the cast list but not as the male lead. I think there was like one movie where he actually lasted and got with someone and that was in that Vineyard sequel. I liked him here. It'd be kinda cool if Hallmark did a sequel that had him as the interest for a new lead next time. As for the movie...oh wow, I can't really remember much of it. And I saw it on the premiere day! That doesn't bode well for repeat viewing. I think it was okay... It was like a less charming version of Christmas Detour. 

I did see Magical Christmas Ornaments which I was looking forward to because the story sounded interesting. I rather liked it. Jessica L isn't on my faves list but I think I've grown a tolerance to her after repeated viewings of December Bride and Merry Matrimony. I was even able to overlook the scary new hair color and bright makeup. Some of the dialogue had me chuckling. I fell asleep towards the end, but I remember wishing we could have seen her open her new publishing company (kind of like the end of Midnight Masquerade with Rob in his new law office). I'm going to rewatch it to see it all the way through in case I dozed on any scenes. I think one of the reasons I really liked this one was because of the book and reading theme and also some of the characters' fave books were mine as well. 

I need to move The Christmas Train up on my watch list since so many folks like it here. I keep hearing about a certain twist and now I'm curious to see what it is.

1 hour ago, MissyPoo said:

I need to move The Christmas Train up on my watch list since so many folks like it here. I keep hearing about a certain twist and now I'm curious to see what it is.

I liked it because it looked so pretty and I'm a sucker for nice interiors and scenery. It also had an Agatha Christie vibe and look without the grisly murders. Vintage charm in a modern movie. The twist I sort of figured out, Chekhov's gun...

• Love 2
On 11/30/2017 at 1:45 AM, twoods said:

Also try to catch Snow Bride (I think you already DVRed it) and Let it Snow (with Candace Cameron)- both of those movies are very good and entertaining. Best Christmas Party Ever is also good, not taking into account the horrible title...

Thank you for your recommendations last week.  I did watch both of those and enjoyed them very much!

• Love 2

Just watched Christmas, Inc. and I really enjoyed it, mostly because I loved Riley's nutty dad SO MUCH!! I loved his goofy workshop, his steel-trap mind, his relationship with Mrs. Riley's Dad. The story was cute, the leading man was a steaming hunka hunka, and it delivered the best line of the season  yet.

Please escort her out. I don't allow grinches on my factory floor.

YEAH!

It also had an Agatha Christie vibe and look without the grisly murders

Perfect description! It definitely had higher production levels as befits the "Hall of Fame" legacy.  HHOF has created some great classic movies. 

THANK YOU for posting the schedule!!! 

I join twoods in wanting to see Roslyn Sanchez in a Hallmark movie. I've loved her since Devious Maids.

Edited by Marsupial
grammar
  • Love 2
On 12/4/2017 at 10:46 AM, Almost 3000 said:

I liked it because it looked so pretty and I'm a sucker for nice interiors and scenery. It also had an Agatha Christie vibe and look without the grisly murders. Vintage charm in a modern movie. The twist I sort of figured out, Chekhov's gun...

It kinda did! I liked it. I think I may rewatch it. I kind of agree with the folks who said the love story was more telling rather than showing us how they belonged together. I spotted two twists actually one big one and one before that. I have to say both caught me off guard and it was a pleasant surprise. It makes me want to go back and rewatch it for clues. I'm definitely going to pick up the book to see how the original story played out.

Watching Hats off to Christmas which is one of my faves I sometimes forget to mention. I think this movie is so cute and I love Antonio Cupo in it. A little bit of introspective after repeat viewings: even though he plays the normal business dude with the hardened heart that softens, it feels different than his 'Thanksgiving Day Parade' character. Not sure how, but it feels like a different character even though they are very similar. I really like Haley Duff in the lead female role as well. Overall, she's hit or miss for me but I think she found her stride here. And I like Scotty as well. This is one where the chemistry between all the characters are on point and the story is a nice progression. I need this on DVD pronto and it's weird it's not available after all this time.

AnnaRose, so glad you liked Snow Bride and Best Christmas Party Ever. Those are good classics!

• Love 1

Ok, I'm getting into the Christmas spirit and I've started watching the movies. And I have a general complaint -- what is it with female characters who on a snowy Christmas Eve in a cold climate are wearing short little sleeveless dresses? Who does that? How are they not freezing? I get cold just looking at them. I know, I know, according to Hollywood more bare skin = prettier, but sheesh -- put a cardigan on!

• Love 8
4 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

Watching Hats off to Christmas which is one of my faves I sometimes forget to mention. I think this movie is so cute and I love Antonio Cupo in it. A little bit of introspective after repeat viewings: even though he plays the normal business dude with the hardened heart that softens, it feels different than his 'Thanksgiving Day Parade' character. Not sure how, but it feels like a different character even though they are very similar. I really like Haley Duff in the lead female role as well. Overall, she's hit or miss for me but I think she found her stride here. And I like Scotty as well. This is one where the chemistry between all the characters are on point and the story is a nice progression. I need this on DVD pronto and it's weird it's not available after all this time.

MissyPoo, I'm going to name drop a bit (honest, I don't usually). I've met the two women who wrote this movie, Debbie Majinska and Deanna Talcott. Deanna's a member of the Romance Writers of America local chapter I belong to, and she brought Debbie to the chapter's yearly retreat a couple of years ago. It was my first retreat, so I introduced myself and asked them what kind of romance fiction they wrote. When they told me that they wrote that movie, I almost died. I told them how much I love Antonio Cupo, and asked if they got to meet him. They said no, they unfortunately never got to go to the set. They wrote the original story, but Hallmark made a lot of changes, and even came up with the "Hats off to Christmas" title, which they didn't seem overly enthusiastic about. But one of them told me it's standard operating procedure for Hallmark to make a lot of changes. So there's my brush with fame, and my kind-of brush with Antonio.

• Love 6

kirinan, that is so awesome! Bummer, you and the two authors didn't get to meet him. I'd be so curious to read their original story. I'd love to see what was changed the authors' original intent for the story and characters.  It'd be nice if everyone was invited to the set. I heard something similar happen to the Good Witch writer. He/she sold the script to Hallmark and a lot was changed and they didn't consult him/her for the sequels. They just took the whole thing in a different direction. I imagine there are copyright situations but it'd be cool to have both versions available for viewers/fans/readers. Kind of like reverse adaptations.

I liked Christmas at Holly Lodge and it was one of the better ones this year. The leads saved this movie, and after it started slow it picked up pretty well at the halfway mark. I also liked the substories and admit to getting teary eyes near the end.

On 12/3/2017 at 11:06 AM, anniebird said:

For the most part, I enjoyed The Christmas Train because I liked the cast and because it was a bit different from most Hallmark Christmas movies. My one nitpick was when they showed the stop in Toledo, Ohio and they had a lovely shot of the downtown skyline at night.... of Cleveland, Ohio. Probably everyone in Hollywood thinks there's virtually no difference between Toledo and Cleveland but people who live in those cities do.

Do you remember what was happening in that scene?  I don't recall seeing the Cleveland night skyline.  (They were in Chicago when they crashed the wedding reception, right?)  I will probably watch again before I delete The Christmas Train from my DVR.

I watched it last night and enjoyed it, probably largely because I enjoy train travel, although I've never traveled on Amtrak in the US.  (I would like to in the future if the times and stations work out.)

My only complaint was about Joan Cusack.  Her constant weird facial expressions were a huge distraction every time she was on screen.  I couldn't tell what thoughts or feelings she was trying to convey through her 'acting'. (Overacting?)  Her face just seemed oddly spastic to me.  Was she always like that in her movies?  Is constantly screwing up her mouth and making strange faces shorthand for "Look how quirky I am!"?

• Love 1

he Was she always like that in her movies?  Is constantly screwing up her mouth and making strange faces shorthand for "Look how quirky I am!"?

Yes, but it was definitely more pronounced in this movie. I normally LOVE her but even so, I found her a little too much in this one.

Crown for Christmas: Yay, I finally watched this and really enjoyed it, it certainly lived up to the rave reviews here. I normally don't love the actress who was in it, but she really grew on me in this story. I ended up very charmed by everyone. Theodora was a delight, the King was just what a king should be, and the little love story with the two people who worked for the King was a sweet touch. 

Christmas Land:  I loved this one and I want to go live in Christmas Land! The setting reminded me of Colorado, where I have family, but I don't recall where it was supposedly set. The hottie lawyer in it was nice, too, I thought he did an excellent acting job and the romance, although a little rushed, still had a nice natural feel to it. The Bad Boyfriend was great in his bad-guy role and also gorgeous with those big blue eyes. Hallmark is killing me with these good-looking men.

Edited by Marsupial
grammer
  • Love 2
On 04/12/2017 at 4:22 AM, Marsupial said:

Christmas in Evergreen: I enjoyed it only because I actually found Ashley Williams very appealing, and she had great chemistry with both her leads. But I agree, the DC boyfriend was handsome, sweet, and seemed really sweet on her. I guess the idea is that you can't make it work and have to let go sometimes, even if you love each other, but that's a rather dark theme for this type of movie and I can't believe the boyfriend would just be like, "Oh, well, OK then, see you around." 

Basically, same thing for me. If anything, the cast (Ashley, both male leads, the mom, and both "token ethnic friends", especially Rukiya Bernard) made me like the movie more than I would have otherwise. Mostly because I felt the writing was really basic and phoned in, with awkward dialog that didn't help some of the cast (the kid, for instance).

That said... now that i've seen this movie, I understand why most of the other new Hallmark movies have had cheap artificial snow here and there : Hallmark's entire artificial snow budget for 2017 was probably spent on Christmas in Evergreen. Seriously, there wasn't a single scene without thick "snow" either falling non-stop from the sky, covering everything, blowing in the foreground & background, falling in the streets or all of the above.  At points, it really was too much and borderline ridiculous, but paradoxically, it kinda worked for me precisely because there was so much of it, and because they combined different types of fake snow to make it work. Must have been a pain in the rear to make it work, continuity-wise.

(also, a magical Santa with a great-looking beard, yay ! It's been a while !)

Edited by Kaoteek
19 hours ago, twoods said:

I liked Christmas at Holly Lodge and it was one of the better ones this year. The leads saved this movie, and after it started slow it picked up pretty well at the halfway mark. I also liked the substories and admit to getting teary eyes near the end.

I'm watching this right now... and when I saw who wrote it.. I understood why I'm liking this movie.  The screenwriter was a soap writer going back to the 80s during the heyday of Proctor and Gamble.. hence the substories, slow build at the start and the resolution having a great pay off at the end.

• Love 1