Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On 1/20/2018 at 8:22 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I must be missing something here. I don't understand. The older folks in my town aren't as handy using their debit cards or they do it on purpose and I believe that their check will bounce. 

My mom, who just passed away at age 86, still wrote checks.  It was her way of life.  People are so impatient these days.  It doesn't take that long to write a check, and god willing, we will all live to be old.  It's a pet peeve of mine to make fun of older people.  My mom's checks never bounced.

On 1/25/2018 at 12:26 PM, backformore said:

An ongoing peeve I encounter is when an online store has FREE shipping with an order of $50 or more.  And then every single item I want is sale priced at $49.99.  So to get the free shipping, you have to actually spend $99.98.  

My 90 year old father sends birthday checks to my adult kids, then complains to ME when they don't get cashed for months.   He says "what do you mean they don't go to the bank?  Don't they have to go every week to deposit their paychecks?" 

Maybe your father should just stop sending the checks since his grandchildren don't need the money or care enough to cash the check.  

Edited by ButterQueen
Spelling
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Right now her hormones are turbo charged and it is doubtful that her parents would say anything that would make her feel better.  It is very sad for her, but if they can't put aside their hate long enough to realize the hurt and damage they have done to their child, they are pathetic.

Right now she needs a Mama bear to be there for her, and that is you!

Right now, she's mine and if anybody hurts her, there will be hell to pay. She's been living with me for most of her pregnancy.  The poor kid is just so hurt and dumbfounded that her parents won't even talk to her, she just doesn't understand why. 

• Love 6
On 2/2/2018 at 9:52 PM, walnutqueen said:

When I was a young lovely a nice lady gyno asked to take a pic of my impossible cervix.  It may grace the pages of some obscure medical journal, but has probably been drooled over by who knows how many creeps who were hiding in the bushes adjacent to Wreck Beach, snapping unauthorized Polaroids.

Led Zeppelin played a FREE noontime concert at my high school.  I cannot tell a lie.  Eric Hamber High - look it up.

Billy Joel played a free concert at my college.

• Love 2
On 12/16/2017 at 11:25 PM, walnutqueen said:

My Mum was THE bestest gift wrapper on the planet.  I am talking award-winning gifts that were just too damned pretty to even think of opening.  Yes, she missed her calling - she would have sent that gift wrap guy from "Love, Actually"  running for the hills in shame (looking for Julie Andrews, no doubt).

I miss her madly, and still have an extra special stash of wrapping paper, ribbon and accoutrements she wasn't able to utilize, and I am totally unworthy, and all left thumbs to boot!

Awe, my mom was too.  Everything matched and was gorgeous.  Just had our first Christmas without her....life will never be the same.  ?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

My condolences.:)   Sorry, never liked his stuff.   To even it up I can say that Van Halen played a free concert at my high school and I never liked them either.  WHERE WAS ZEPPELIN????????????

The thing I dislike most about weddings, I realized some years ago, is that you can be assured of getting to spend no more than five or ten minutes at best with the people who are actually getting married to each other in the course of the entire event.  They will be run off their feet trying to meet with EVERYONE.    So I'm going to be less than jazzed about going to any wedding where one or the other of the marrying couple are the main or the only people I really know.  Even worse is travelling to someplace it's difficult to get away from in a hurry.   

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I saw Bob Dylan

's son and his band, the Wallflowers, play at my college.

Edited by bilgistic
Thought of a way to make it funnier
  • Love 13

Talking of smart phones and concerts. I do find it incredibly difficult trying to enjoy a concert in the raw without the concert-hall awash with illuminated phones held above heads waving and weaving, recording the act rather than the owners actually watching it.

Despite warnings asking people not to use their phones during the gig, they do so anyway

• Love 12

The Ramones played at my college years before I attended. It's not like I missed anything because I have seen the Ramones, like, 10-20 times but that would have been super-fun with my friends from school.

Speaking of Billy Joel, I watched a documentary the other night called Hired Guns and it confirmed my suspicions that that guy is a dick!

Today's peeve is people who don't share my love of hair bands! I saw a deal for $20 tickets to see Poison (with Cheap Trick, which I don't care about) and know no one who will cooperate with me, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
ETA: I confess, I couldn't resist! As soon as I made this comment, I bought the tickets. I'll figure it out later!
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Today's peeve is people who don't share my love of hair bands! I saw a deal for $20 tickets to see Poison (with Cheap Trick, which I don't care about) and know no one who will cooperate with me, haha!

My sister would go with you! She loves hair metal! She used to listen to it in the car when my niece (her daughter) was a toddler, and my niece would tell her it was too loud and to turn it down.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Poison is OK, but I would go with you for Cheap Trick.

• Love 4

I saw both of those bands in concert in their heyday.  I also went to a performance Bret Michaels and C.C. DeVille did together at an amusement park.  A friend of mine still goes to concerts of the hair metal bands we used to listen to back in the day, but I'm not really into it anymore.  For $20, though, I might go just for the nostalgia factor.  @TattleTeeny, do you dislike going to concerts alone, or just find it more fun to have someone along?  I'm glad you went ahead and got tickets, even if you don't wind up using the second one.

• Love 2

I have never in all my years seen Poison, not even back in the late '80s'early '90s (but then, I was a super-cool [not really] alternative kid, haha--my "street cred" would have suffered among my art-school cohorts!). But I can't help myself--I love them! Someone will go, I'm sure (albeit reluctantly). But it's lawn seating (meaning no chairs but instead a blanket on the grassy hill behind the actual seats), which is my favorite section in the summer anyway.

I have trouble doing a lot of typically social things alone! It really comes into play when I want to go to one of my BF's gigs but don't know if anyone I know will also be there to sit with. I'm OK with one or two venues, but others not so much. And if someone is going to be there, I still have trouble walking into places by myself.

• Love 3

I, like Forumfish, go to many things alone. I even will go abroad for a few weeks and immerse myself in another country, language and culture. I used to be like TattleTeeny and scared. Then one day I figured out that I would be missing out on so many fun things, that I’d just better put on my big girl panties and go. Haven’t stopped since. 

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Re: going to concerts alone -- I do it happily, ever since I missed out on one because I got burned. My friend was going to pick up our tickets because I had to work, but when I asked her about it that evening, she said she'd changed her mind about going. I decided then to never again let that kind of thing stop me from seeing an act.

Ditto so hard on that. I used to buy two concert tickets all the time, assuming friends or family, SOMEONE would wanna join me. I had two so-called friends flake out on me at the last minute for several of those instances((one even indignantly snotted back to me, "I don't even LIKE that singer!")). After that I never bothered to get two tickets again and have since enjoyed quite a few concerts alone; thank god my husband is a live music junkie who is game to join me for most any random show. But I sure as hell don't expect anyone else to be my live show buddy otherwise---once bitten, twice shy!!

Which brings me to hair bands: I miss their tacky delights so much. They just make my inner Child of the 80's so happy. I didn't care that much for their music, but their style and videos sure were hilarious...there is something just so delightfully comforting about their cheesy rock stylings. I did get dragged to a Def Leppard show with a friend once and was fascinated by the madness of it all---it was 1997 but it might as well have been 1987 the way half those concert goers were dressed!

• Love 5

Oh, I am not scared, per se (I traveled by plane, taxi, then almost-empty bus in the middle of the night into inland Mexico with no cell reception and limited Spanish skills). Scaredish, maybe. Mainly, I just don't think I'll have a good time, though I am definitely uncomfortable sitting in some bars by myself. Also, I am notoriously directionally challenged, so I need a living breathing navigator sometimes, haha--I'd probably never find my car again if I went to Poison alone, man! As for the walking-in-alone thing, I have no idea how to explain that. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The Ramones played at my college years before I attended. It's not like I missed anything because I have seen the Ramones, like, 10-20 times but that would have been super-fun with my friends from school.

Speaking of Billy Joel, I watched a documentary the other night called Hired Guns and it confirmed my suspicions that that guy is a dick!

I would go! I've seen them both many times and I still listen to their music. I love all of those old hair bands.  She's not a hair band of course, but I saw Pat Benatar last year for the 3rd time. Damn she can sing, she puts today's singers to shame. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 5

"Heartbreaker" is another of the all time great sing along in your car songs.

I have mixed feelings about going to concerts alone. On the one hand, you can get a better seat if you're not looking for two together. On the other hand, if you have to pay for parking there's nobody to split it with.

Journey and Def Leppard are playing Fenway Park together this summer which I think would be a hoot. Too bad I will probably be working elsewhere that night.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Qoass said:

Journey and Def Leppard are playing Fenway Park together this summer which I think would be a hoot.

I always get mildly excited when I  hear Journey is in town, then remember Steve Perry hasn't been their lead singer in many years. The soundalikes are ok, but I just have no desire to see them without Steve.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have trouble doing a lot of typically social things alone! It really comes into play when I want to go to one of my BF's gigs but don't know if anyone I know will also be there to sit with.

I'm fine going places by myself now, but when I was baby-stepping it, that would have been a perfect situation.  You're technically by yourself, but you have an "official" reason for being there so you don't have to feel out of place. 

18 hours ago, forumfish said:

I love the nostalgia tours that bands are doing now -- I heard an ad for this double bill: Chicago and REO Speedwagon. Hello, high school/college flashbacks!

I went to high school in a town that didn't get big concerts, but was between two cities that did--both were about 100 miles away, in opposite directions.  One Friday night, Black Oak Arkansas was playing in one of the cities, and Chicago was playing in the other.  That afternoon, it was like the high school split in two, with waves of people going in one direction or the other, and which direction you went said it all.

I'm fine going places by myself now, but when I was baby-stepping it, that would have been a perfect situation.  You're technically by yourself, but you have an "official" reason for being there so you don't have to feel out of place. 

And it is--sometimes. Other times, it's a whole lot of standing around (if seating is limited) and either having no one to talk to most of the night or fending off the would-be suitors. It really depends on the place. 

Now, in the case of shopping, I do like doing that with friends. But I think I really prefer to do it alone, especially when it's browsy, take-your-time hunting around). Also, I would go to a movie alone no problem, if I didn't dislike movie theaters so much.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I saw R.E.M. alone when I was in college (mid-1990s). I went alone because I have been uncoupled far more than coupled, and it was fan-freaking-tastic. I had a floor seat (folding chair) directly in front of the stage at maybe the seventh row or slightly further back, and I was able to shimmy my way up to the fourth row during the show. It's hard to do that with two people. I was so close to and directly under Michael Stipe, I could almost catch his sweat drops (sigh!).

That has been the only arena show I've been to. I want to see the Foo Fighters, but I don't know if I have it in me. My anxiety is pretty bad, but the adrenaline might override it. Tickets are in the $100s, though. They were in NC and SC in the fall, but I have no disposable income. Maybe one day.

I see local bands once in a while, also alone. The crowds are small and calm (and made of my contemporaries), so I can deal with it.

I do everything alone, and can't imagine doing it any other way.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

I used to enjoy the big concerts with big bands back in my university days. Even though there would be 70 or 80,000 other people crammed into a concert arena, and we could be sitting or standing so far back you would need binoculars to see the players, it was great just "being there" and sampling the atmosphere.

But these days, going to those kinds of gigs and festivals is far more expensive, with tickets already pre-sold and then sold on again to the public at inflated prices. 

I much prefer going to see small tribute bands at local clubs and pubs. Yes, there may only be about 30 or 40 people in the "crowd" and the band could be total sh*t, but all the same its only rock and roll at the end of the day. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Zola said:

But these days, going to those kinds of gigs and festivals is far more expensive, with tickets already pre-sold and then sold on again to the public at inflated prices.

I hate the whole Ticketmaster racket, and the generally undemocratic way tickets are distributed, especially with so many ticket brokers.  (Not that I have a solution, but it still grates.)  Plus the prices, of course, and the fact, as you mentioned, that everyone will be holding their phones high up.  So I just don't go any more. 

I had a friend offer me a ticket to see Queen a couple of years ago, and I wasn't in the neighborhood so I didn't go, although I'm not sure I would have anyway.  She went and said it was great except the two women behind her who screamed the entire time.  I find that charmingly endearing in the footage of the Beatles at Shea Stadium, like screaming was the only way those poor girls could cope with the excitement.  But not so much now.

13 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I saw R.E.M. alone when I was in college (mid-1990s). I went alone because I have been uncoupled far more than coupled, and it was fan-freaking-tastic. I had a floor seat (folding chair) directly in front of the stage at maybe the seventh row or slightly further back, and I was able to shimmy my way up to the fourth row during the show. It's hard to do that with two people.

Oh yeah, it's VASTLY easier to do that kind of thing when you're by yourself.  I did it at an Indy Car race once--just kind of sidled my way into the pits while Mr. Outlier was otherwise occupied and I was free range.  When I found him again and told him where I'd been, he couldn't believe it.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I see local bands once in a while, also alone. The crowds are small and calm (and made of my contemporaries), so I can deal with it.

I'm totally on board with you on this. Small crowds, very few 15-25 year old kids, frequently surprisingly talented musicians, all of which adds up to a really nice time for me. 

I tend to do this stuff on my own, but I wouldn't turn away some company. I'm not so good at the recruiting. 

• Love 4

I've actually been wondering what the age range of the crowd will be at this Misfits/Suicidal tendencies show in May. If I see a lot of little whippersnappers, I am gonna wonder how the hell they afforded these tickets! 

Also, I heard that they are taking people's phones at the door; the rumor is that the aged Misfits sound so bad that they want no documentation of the shows, haha!

• Love 1

Going to concerts alone is awesome.  If I can't find someone to go with, I'll totally go alone, so long as I know where I'm going, though in my younger days I went regardless of whether getting lost was a possibility.  I guess I've gotten more cautious in my old age.  I've done it lots of times, including a couple of shows for which I took a bus or plane solo to Canada.  I upgraded myself during a New Years Eve concert from a 300 level nosebleed seat to a not half bad 100 level seat right near the stage, and from various floor seats to front row other times.  The key to moving yourself up is to pretend like you belong and make eye contact with no one.  Plus the fact that I'm tiny probably helps me slip in under anyone's radar.  I actually met my now best friend at a concert that we both went to alone, and we've been friends now over 15 years and uncountable concerts, so that's pretty cool.  

I've gotten particular about the concerts I'll spend money on these days since they've gotten so ridiculously expensive.  The main one being that I require a seat.  If I'm paying through the nose, I want a place to sit while we wait.  No more GA shows for this old fart.  I also tend to avoid shows in NYC if there is a show somewhere in Jersey or Philly to avoid paying the NYC premium price.  

• Love 5

What I can't do anymore is stand for a concert.  I don't go to nearly as many stadium shows as I used to (by a mile; I'm down to maybe two or three a year), but I still go to small venue performances about once a month.  I will no longer go to the places that don't have seating, though.  I'm fine if it's general admission rather than assigned seating, but there must be a seat for my ass, even if it's not a great seat because I didn't want to get there until door time.

• Love 3

I love small gigs with a good audience, loud booming music, great atmosphere and plenty to drink (not necessarily alcoholic). There are some gigs are that women only, which I like because it means I won't get groped in a standing audience dancing and jumping around. With big stadium gigs I just can't get into the rhythm because everything is so remote.  The smaller the gig the better the personal experience - hot, sweaty and loud 

• Love 2

I always want a seat now too in my advanced age, sometimes for no other reason but to have my own perimeter or a place to put down my coat and bag. We had the floor area for Faith No More last year (maybe the year before that) and were lucky enough to overhear some young lads bitching that they wanted to go in the pit but they had seats. It was our lucky day--we traded with them and they bought us exorbitantly priced beer because they thought we were doing them a favor, haha! However, I love the lawn ticket situation because it's outside and you can go wherever you want and have room for dancing. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I just read another post on Facebook that started with, "I am needing," and I want to find the person and tell her, "You are not needing. You need."

And it's just that it's someone on Facebook. I see it all the time in stuff people at work -- many of whom have more than one degree -- write. Fortunately, I can usually change it there.

3 hours ago, auntlada said:

I just read another post on Facebook that started with, "I am needing," and I want to find the person and tell her, "You are not needing. You need."

Ugh.  "I am in need of" is annoying enough for the superfluous words, but "I am needing"?  I haven't come across that, but if I do, I'll think of you and nod in sympathy.

• Love 1

Living in Chicago, we used to be able to see Ides of March and Styx on weekends, at dances held in high school gymnasiums.  Styx played at my prom, and I think the prom committee paid them $200 for the gig. 

(yeah, I'm old) 

Lately, I go to bars to see my son's band play. I like it, but they turn the amps up so LOUD that I can barely hear the singer.  

My sister recently went with her boyfriend and his parents to see Chicago in Augusta where they live (my sister and boyfriend/his family), so they (Chicago) are still touring.

I really had to work on that sentence because of the band's name.

• Love 1

I would love to see Chicago and REO Speedwagon, except this Chicago is probably not the one I want to see. I probably want to see the Chicago I grew up with and will be disappointed if they have a different sound (although considering how many sounds the band had, surely it can hit one of them still).

And, yes, I'll be 50 this year.

Edited by auntlada
I always see the typo right after I hit post.

Skype calls. With the camera on. When is someone going to invent a computer camera that makes you look like yourself? 

(This is not - only - a pity me party. I've seen people I know are gorgeous look positively - ha! - horrible on these.)

Skype job interviews - which side is scared the fastest?

I'm ranting on Skype, but FaceTime and all are not better. Despite how it looks in movies.

In top of how we all look bad on a computer camera, we all look shifty, if we look at the person on camera rather than at the camera. And when we don't look shifty, it means we're not looking at the person we're talking to. There's just no winning here. 

• Love 2

Here's a first world chick gripe if ever there was one...

Clothing manufacturers, is it asking so much to make a white shirt that isn't so sheer that I have to wear 10 different camisoles underneath so no one sees my multitude of sins?!? Seriously, I just want a white top that I can wear over a single bra! Is that really so unreasonable??

I swear it's a conspiracy by the camisole industry to drive profits. 

• Love 19
On 2/12/2018 at 11:47 PM, Bastet said:

Ugh.  "I am in need of" is annoying enough for the superfluous words, but "I am needing"?  I haven't come across that, but if I do, I'll think of you and nod in sympathy.

19 hours ago, EighteenTwelve said:

"I am needing" is legal English from a grammar standpoint, but the only time I've heard usage like that is from somebody who learned English in India.

Joanna Gaines of Fixer Upper fame does this just to get on my nerves.   They'll be shopping in some cute little flea market place in town, when all of a sudden:  "I am wanting one of these",  or "I am needing that for the remodel".    She's from whatever tribe began using up as a verb.   Her husband Chip, the muscle-y half of Fixer Upper eats the insects he finds before demolition day.    They're quite well suited. 

4 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Clothing manufacturers, is it asking so much to make a white shirt that isn't so sheer that I have to wear 10 different camisoles underneath so no one sees my multitude of sins?!? Seriously, I just want a white top that I can wear over a single bra! Is that really so unreasonable??

Yes, it's unreasonable.  Ask for something less complex, like how modern medicine can help men maintain an erection for four hours.    Oh wait....

Driving is an ever reliable peeve just in case I run out of things to complain about.   As if! Lol.    You are lost, it may or may not be dusk.  In either event, it's still rush hour.   What is the psychological phenomenon that prevents you from pulling over to a) get your bearings b) breathe without the pressure from the 16 drivers behind you on this 2-lane road that aren't lost c) using the phone I can see hanging from your windshield to help with your navigation from a stationary position.      Dead stopping in the roadway at an emerald green traffic light is not one of your fucking options!  Pull. Over. 

::smoothsskirt::  well.   You guys just helped me identify what to give up for Lent.  Thanks :D

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

As a woman of more modest proportions, I have always had a dozen men's shirts in my closest.  A white button down has been a wardrobe staple for me ever since I was in college.  Some are a bit oversized, but the ones for work never were.

• Love 3