Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I've told this anecdote to my other Southern friends and they agree that she's an idiot.

I am from the south and I definitely think she's an idiot--I know that smile you described all too well and I would give that back to her while saying "bless your heart".

"Dude" is part of my everyday vernacular, as well. Way too many things are dude for me--yesterday it involved my hair, a woman in traffic who couldn't make a right hand turn, my laptop, and a door at work. I need to work on it, it's a little ridiculous how often I use that word.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

"Dude" is part of my everyday vernacular, as well. Way too many things are dude for me--yesterday it involved my hair, a woman in traffic who couldn't make a right hand turn, my laptop, and a door at work. I need to work on it, it's a little ridiculous how often I use that word.

When I read this, I laughed. Because when I called my best friend last night, to tell her about this conversation, I automatically started with "Dude! You'll never guess what..." And we laughed over it for like two minutes. It's just so natural, and we discussed how it just conveys the feelings of friendship for us. And it reminded me of the one time, years ago. I had a colleague/friend when we worked as bank tellers for the same bank, but at different branches. I forget what happened, but I think we were supposed to meet for lunch and he never showed up. No biggie. But he called the next day, and this was how it went:

"Dude! I am SO sorry!" and he went on to explain what happened. We ended up going to the movies later instead. It's not like I use it in a tone that makes me come off like some stoned surfer dude.

I don't even think about it, really. I wonder what that says about me?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Here's one I haven't heard in decades, but my "cigarette girl" (aka my favorite clerk at the Circle K) calls me "doll".  She's from Indiana, and not at all old.  I lurve her!  ;-)

Cute.   I don't mind being called dear, doll, sweetheart etc.   Not in the work place; I am retired so that is not an issue.   I also love 'young lady."  Lol

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK, since I think we've  covered a great many angles  re what folks are termed for the time being, I think I'll see if anyone agrees with me re the usage of the word 'sick'.

Today, I was standing in line at a restaurant and heard some collegiate say they'd finished some tests and the response  from their colleague was 'That's SICK!' instead 'Great!' or 'Congratulations'.  Really? Why?

Yeah, I don't like it, I guess I am too old to appreciate it.

Lordy, lordy,  So many iterations of whatever the word du jour is for anything.  I just don't mind much, I go with the flow, and cut some slack to the youngsters.  When I was young, a totally cool thing was called "mint".  Not as in "mint condition", but as in "those pennies in your loafers are SO mint!".  Still waiting for that one to make a comeback.  ;-)

• Love 3

My boss will come in and ask "Is everything groovy?"  Sometimes I say, "I don't know, Greg Brady.  I lost my time machine."  The first time I said that he asked me who Greg Brady was.  I'm not sure how anybody could not know that.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I once read that "dudeen" is the feminine version of "dude," so my sister and I jokingly use it with each other, especially to rhyme, "know what I mean, dudeen?"

It's actually a clay pipe. Oh, well.

I call my sister dude.  She tells me not to.  I call her dudette.  She glares. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

My boss will come in and ask "Is everything groovy?"  Sometimes I say, "I don't know, Greg Brady.  I lost my time machine."  The first time I said that he asked me who Greg Brady was.  I'm not sure how anybody could not know that.

If one does not know who Greg Brady is one should not be using the word "groovy"

• Love 9

I can't stand the phrases :

"Is that a thing?" and

"You won the internet". 

Most things referred to as "mic drops" really aren't.  They are just interesting (maybe) observations, or worse, clichés. 

I hate the use of the word "borderline" in reference to things like racism, sexism, etc.  Just say it is or isn't, don't pacify your thoughts to try and make it more palatable or believable.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:39 PM, topanga said:

And that didn't bother you? Maybe you got close over time. Personally,  I hate it when strangers or near strangers call me honey, baby, sweetie, or the like. 

I have no problem with either Ma'am or Miss. Just bring me damn my keys if I've left them on the counter!

This is my NUMBER ONE Pet Peeve by far at any business.  Typically its a woman (I am male) calling me "hon", or "honey", in particular.  Happened today.  I would never dream of referrng to a female I didn't know, or really even one I did know, unless its my wife, in that way and likewise don't think they should use those terms either. 

And its not just in the south where I live now, used to happen before I moved.  And doesn't matter what age, has been happening forever. 

6 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

If one does not know who Greg Brady is one should not be using the word "groovy"

"Groovy" predates The Brady Bunch by several decades.  It's an old jazz word, probably dates from the 20's, and if you read old issues of jazz magazines like Down Beat it's used all the time in the forties and fifties - even in the music columns of the mainstream newspapers of that time period, actually.   I'm young enough that even in the sixties I kind of thought of "groovy" as a little out of date, and old enough that I never watched minute one of The Brady Bunch and only know about its various tropes from online discussions like this.

Bitchin, on the other hand, is timeless. As is dude.:)

• Love 5

Someone else had mentioned the pet peeve of people shortening phrases to the adjective that describes the noun, instead of the noun.   I can't stand this. 

Example - I stopped at Starbucks, they have a bunch of breakfast sandwiches.  I ordered the ham and egg.  The woman asked me, "you mean the slow-roasted?"  I didn't know what she meant.  It took me a minute to understand that the actual name of the sandwich was "slow-roasted ham with egg and cheese on a croissant".   OK - but if you're going to shorten it, call it the "ham and egg", which actually describes what the item is.  

So , then, when the sandwiches were ready, the guy at the other counter calls out "who had the slow-roasted?"   Now, this is STARBUCKS.   doesn't it seem like calling something "slow roasted" , you would be referring to a kind of COFFEE?  Even though I just did this with the cashier, It took me a minute of standing there before I realized it was my order. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

This is my NUMBER ONE Pet Peeve by far at any business.  Typically its a woman (I am male) calling me "hon", or "honey", in particular.  Happened today.  I would never dream of referrng to a female I didn't know, or really even one I did know, unless its my wife, in that way and likewise don't think they should use those terms either. 

And its not just in the south where I live now, used to happen before I moved.  And doesn't matter what age, has been happening forever. 

My rule: unless you're my mother or my friend, don't call me "hon" or "dear". I think those two are triggers because when I worked at my despised library job, I had two loathsome patrons who called me "hon" and "dear" in lieu of "idiot" or "peasant". 

• Love 3

I find it unnerving when women young enough to be my daughter call me "hon". Who are you talking to, little girl?

And on the food front, I know it's proper usage but I don't like when ingredients are used as descriptors, i.e. parslied potatoes or minted jelly. I don't know why but it bugs the crap out of me.

• Love 1
Just now, Quof said:

It's not proper usage.  You can't just turn a noun into a verb or adjective.  Chris Rock "You want a cookie? I'll cookie you."

Wait, did Chris Rock steal that from Dave Coulier, or vice versa.  Because I have to say, if you're stealing material from Dave Coulier, you may want to do a career rethink.  But, I agree.  Mint jelly is proper.  Minted jelly lookds odd.  Parsley potatoes, not parslied potatatoes.  I've never heard of chocolate chipped cookies (but if offered I wouldn't say no).

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

"Groovy" predates The Brady Bunch by several decades.  It's an old jazz word, probably dates from the 20's, and if you read old issues of jazz magazines like Down Beat it's used all the time in the forties and fifties - even in the music columns of the mainstream newspapers of that time period, actually.   I'm young enough that even in the sixties I kind of thought of "groovy" as a little out of date, and old enough that I never watched minute one of The Brady Bunch and only know about its various tropes from online discussions like this.

Bitchin, on the other hand, is timeless. As is dude.:)

Dude! :-P

I mostly associate "groovy" with tye-dye VW busses and the 60s. I knew about groovy from Brady Bunch, which was in syndication long before I was old enough to watch it.

3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't really care about "hon" or "sweetie" or the like, but I definitely have noticed that many times (not all), when a fellow chick uses one of those, it is in a condescending manner. 

Well bless their hearts.

• Love 3

I use "you guys" with my students all the time.  I live in NJ and my mother is from the Bronx, so I am also known to also refer to a group as youse, although I don't consciously do it.  But yeah, in the north, "you guys" is our version of y'all.  

I know someone who uses dude all the time, which I have no problem with, but spells it as dood, which irritates the ever-loving shit out of me.  

People who refer to women as hon or honey should be punched in the mouth. My boss sometimes calls me kiddo.  I'm 38 years old. I am not a kiddo.  

• Love 3
On 10/11/2017 at 0:31 PM, Katy M said:

I call my sister dude.  She tells me not to.  I call her dudette.  She glares. 

I think the formal method of address is "dudess." "Dudette" would be the diminutive form.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2017 at 2:23 PM, Katy M said:

How old is this guy?  Like 25?  My husband believes many millennials - especially those in their late 20s-early 30s never saw a rerun in their LIVES.  Especially shows which went off first run long before they were born. 

1 minute ago, PRgal said:

How old is this guy?  Like 25?  My husband believes many millennials - especially those in their late 20s-early 30s never saw a rerun in their LIVES.  Especially shows which went off first run long before they were born. 

No.  He's almost 65.  I could believe he's never sat down and watched an episode of The Brady Bunch.  But, acting like he doesn't know who Greg Brady is, is protesting a bit too much, I think:)

• Love 2
Just now, Katy M said:

No.  He's almost 65.  I could believe he's never sat down and watched an episode of The Brady Bunch.  But, acting like he doesn't know who Greg Brady is, is protesting a bit too much, I think:)

I actually have trouble believing that someone in his 60s has NEVER SEEN an episode of The Brady Bunch.  He would have been in high school when the show first premiered.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I actually have trouble believing that someone in his 60s has NEVER SEEN an episode of The Brady Bunch.  He would have been in high school when the show first premiered.

He's also a guy and I think of The Brady Bunch as more of a girl's show.  Plus, I think he told me they didn't have a TV while he was growing up.  Like I said, I can believe he never watched the show.  I just can't believe he's not familiar with it and didn't know Greg Brady's name. That's the reason I think he actually has seen the show.  He was probably a college closet fan.  LOL.  I've never seen Miami Vice, but I'll know what you mean if you say Sonny Crockett.  I've also never seen The A-Team.  Both very popular shows when I was in high school.  Just nothing I would watch.

• Love 3

For the first time in my life, I don't know anyone close to me that owns a pick up truck nor anyone who is versed enough in bile repairs.  I need to take my trike to the bike shop to get a new secondary chain put on, and in order to get it there, I needed to take off the wheels to hopefully get it to fit in the back of an Outback. 

I used to drive my parent's VW Sportruck (pronounced Sport-ruck by me and all my friends).  That was when there were small trucks offered by Nissan and Toyota too.  I would so love to own something similar.

37 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

bile repairs.

I know you meant bike repairs.  But, now I'm just really trying to figure out how bile repairs would work?  Maybe it's like bleeding someone to get the four humors restored.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, janestclair said:

I use "you guys" with my students all the time.  I live in NJ and my mother is from the Bronx, so I am also known to also refer to a group as youse, although I don't consciously do it.  But yeah, in the north, "you guys" is our version of y'all.  

I know someone who uses dude all the time, which I have no problem with, but spells it as dood, which irritates the ever-loving shit out of me.  

People who refer to women as hon or honey should be punched in the mouth. My boss sometimes calls me kiddo.  I'm 38 years old. I am not a kiddo.  

I just fired my attorney because he repeatedly called me kiddo. Fuck that.

• Love 5

Well, the trike is back in working order - happy day!  The trike barely fit in the back of the car and I put old towels over the parts that might rub the roof if there were a bump or something.

The guy at the bike shop managed to replace the chain and adjust where the secondary gear sat without trouble - for him since he knew what he was doing and had the specialized tool that makes linking the chain a thousand times easier.

When I got it home, I needed to put the wheels back on and managed to do that without too many false starts.  The front brake isn't sitting quite right, but I will just ignore that for now and use the back ones.  I'll see if one of my nephews can take a look at it and figure out what is amiss.

If all goes well, Kook will start getting a daily trike ride which allows him to trot instead of walk.  He burns a bit more energy that way, but since I am not exactly swifty, he doesn't get over tired. 

• Love 2
On 10/13/2017 at 9:12 AM, PRgal said:

As of July I am 60 and I, too, have NEVER SEEN an episode of The Brady Bunch.  Or The Partridge Family.  Or Little House on the Prairie.  Or Happy Days. I could go on.  All the shows I listed are  IMO shows that would have appealed  to pre-teens more than high schoolers.

On 10/13/2017 at 9:23 AM, Katy M said:

He's also a guy and I think of The Brady Bunch as more of a girl's show.  Plus, I think he told me they didn't have a TV while he was growing up.  Like I said, I can believe he never watched the show.  I just can't believe he's not familiar with it and didn't know Greg Brady's name.

If you had never watched The Brady Bunch you wouldn't immediately recognize the name Greg Brady even in the context given.  Why would you?  I never watched the show and thus never think of it at all except, as I said, when other people are talking about it, mostly in online contexts like this one.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

If you had never watched The Brady Bunch you wouldn't immediately recognize the name Greg Brady even in the context given.  Why would you?  I never watched the show and thus never think of it at all except, as I said, when other people are talking about it, mostly in online contexts like this one.

Well, like I said, I've never seen an episode of Miami Vice, but I still know who Sonny Crockett is.  I've never seen an episode of Dallas and I know the name JR Ewing.  I  also have never seen the Partridge family, but I would recognize the name Lori Partridge.  There may be more, but it's really hard to think of TV shows that you've never seen.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Katy M said:

it's really hard to think of TV shows that you've never seen.

Hmmm - I think you might not have meant that the way it came out.:) , though I think I know what you intended.  Television has a long history and there are, I assure you, hundreds of shows, probably more,  that I haven't seen, many of which were on TV before even an old broad like me was born.  I would be hard pressed to recognize character names or plot tropes or anything else from any of them.  Especially since back in the day before the internet you couldn't quickly catch up with these things online - you either had to genuinely be familiar with a show, or look it up in a (gasp!) printed reference book.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
Just now, ratgirlagogo said:

Hmmm - I think you might not have meant that the way it came out.:)  Television has a long history and there are, I assure you, hundreds of shows, probably more,  that I haven't seen, many of which were on TV before even an old broad like me was born.  

Yes, but it's hard to name them off the top of your head, because you've never seen them.  Even though there are many more TV shows that you've never seen than ones you've watched regularly, if asked to name 10 in each category, you could come up with the names that you watched quickly as you have a memory attached to them, rather than shows that exist, but that you don't watch.

2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yes, but it's hard to name them off the top of your head, because you've never seen them.  Even though there are many more TV shows that you've never seen than ones you've watched regularly, if asked to name 10 in each category, you could come up with the names that you watched quickly as you have a memory attached to them, rather than shows that exist, but that you don't watch.

Yes, exactly.  I'm agreeing with you.  But you are, as I said, not going to remember details, even perhaps major details, about shows you didn't watch, especially if your friends didn't watch them either.  I could recognize stuff about Dark Shadows, for example, which I never watched, because my younger brother and his friends did and talked about it all the time.  Brady Bunch, on the other hand - nix.

2 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

As of July I am 60 and I, too, have NEVER SEEN an episode of The Brady Bunch.  Or The Partridge Family.  Or Little House on the Prairie.  Or Happy Days. I could go on.  All the shows I listed are  IMO shows that would have appealed  to pre-teens more than high schoolers.

I'm also 60, and I remember watching The Brady Bunch (premiered when I was 12) and to a little lesser extent The Partridge Family (premiered when I was 13).  (I thought Lori was real pretty.)  The other two began in 1974, when I was a junior in high school, and I didn't particularly watch them.  But I wonder if my brother who's six years older than I am would know the name Greg Brady.

Today's peeve:  scents.  I bought a box of 10 Swiffer dusters today, and got them home and opened the box and thought they smelled, and sure enough, they're scented.  There's a little circle down in the corner that says "febreze," with "lavender vanilla & comfort" below that.  For one, what is "comfort" scent?  But for another, yuck!  I bought some garbage bags a few years ago that turned out to be scented, and they stunk up the drawer I kept them in.  I've got all the Swiffers lying around trying to air them out, and all that's happening is that I'm getting a headache.

So now I need to take a magnifying glass to the store see if "no sugar added" actually means "it has that foul-tasting sucralose in it," and to find a little circle on a box of Swiffer dusters or garbage bags.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Today's peeve:  scents.  I bought a box of 10 Swiffer dusters today, and got them home and opened the box and thought they smelled, and sure enough, they're scented.  There's a little circle down in the corner that says "febreze," with "lavender vanilla & comfort" below that.  For one, what is "comfort" scent?  But for another, yuck!  I bought some garbage bags a few years ago that turned out to be scented, and they stunk up the drawer I kept them in.  I've got all the Swiffers lying around trying to air them out, and all that's happening is that I'm getting a headache.

So now I need to take a magnifying glass to the store see if "no sugar added" actually means "it has that foul-tasting sucralose in it," and to find a little circle on a box of Swiffer dusters or garbage bags.

I hate, hate, HATE that they are adding lavender / Febreze to everything.  Gives me an instant headache. I'd take the box back to the store, that scent isn't going to go away and it's going linger on everything they touch. Lavender and vanilla are not comfort scents. They are gross, chemical, headache inducing scents.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I hate, hate, HATE that they are adding lavender / Febreze to everything.  Gives me an instant headache. I'd take the box back to the store, that scent isn't going to go away and it's going linger on everything they touch. Lavender and vanilla are not comfort scents. They are gross, chemical, headache inducing scents.

Have you ever been to France? The entire country smells like Febreze.

• Love 1