Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I bought a new refrigerator to replace my old one which was still working great, but I bought it 40 years ago and it was costing me $200+ a month in electrical charges.  So, I trot off to the store, pick out a nice Energy * model in stainless steel with french doors and freezer on the bottom.  It gets installed no problem.

Peeve?  My refrigerator magnets don't work!  They work on the sides but not on the front.  I have so many refrigerator magnets!  Why didn't somebody warn me?

In addition, because of the french doors, there are giant hinges on the top that take up half the storage space.  It's like a great leap backwards.

3 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Crazy question: Can you return it? I'd be bereft if I couldn't stick things all over my fridge, which is why I brought a little magnet with me when we went shopping for the last one. I'd read that some stainless steel is made with a higher percentage of nickel, which screws with its magnetic power.

Another option is to attach a magnetic whiteboard or something similar to the fridge with Velcro or Command strips and put all the magnets on that.

You have my sympathies.

Holey moley! I get the peeve about magnets but $200/month is a huge hit on the power bill! For that savings you could buy a lot of masking tape with cute patterns, and/or magnetic boards to hang on the walls. Or even (and I’m not ready to do this myself, but…) change habits to Marie Kondo the front of the fridge and focus on the sides for magnets. 

This is coming from someone who has a French door fridge I like (despite its 15-year-old issues), but back then I made a point to get a non-stainless-steel finish for exactly that reason. 

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

change habits to Marie Kondo the front of the fridge and focus on the sides for magnets. 

Oh, am I unknowingly trendy?  I don't want anything on the front of my refrigerator, but have magnets on the side that I can see while standing at the kitchen counter (they're a bunch of pins with social/political slogans that I turned into magnets).

51 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I made a point to get a non-stainless-steel finish for exactly that reason.

My peeve is that stainless steel - which I don't generally care for and which would definitely not be right for my kitchen - has become the standard finish, with white now a special order and not even available in some models.  At this point, I'm probably not going to remodel my kitchen until I retire, so who knows how things will be then, but if shopping right now I'd be annoyed by the limited options.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, am I unknowingly trendy?  I don't want anything on the front of my refrigerator, but have magnets on the side that I can see while standing at the kitchen counter (they're a bunch of pins with social/political slogans that I turned into magnets)

Same! But I also have some Scooby-Doo and Golden Girl magnets in the mix. But all on the side of the fridge, I want a clean front.

• Like 1
(edited)

I think you could actually just put some command tape on the back of each magnet and stick it to the fridge . . . ?  Too bad, though.

BTW, I’m having trouble visualizing how the hinges take up storage space.  I got a French door fridge a couple of years ago, and I feel I have more storage space than I had with the old top-freezer model. At least it’s easier to access. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3

I called a local metal shop and had a 3’X5’ piece of sheet metal cut (rounded corner) and powder coated white. I then mounted it to the hallway that leads to the laundry room and garage. All my magnets are on display there and my fridge is bare. Makes the house look nicer for those who thinks they look messy. I can enjoy them and them memories they bring me. IMG_2553.thumb.jpeg.47e999578e89150894f598e04126c71c.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 2

@Mindthinkr Is that removable?  I'm looking for something for my non-magnetic fridge (I actually have two refrigerators, but the other is basically covered with my son's artwork.  I need space for our monthly calendar and weekly menu boards which I currently have on removable peel-and-stick "boards").

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, PRgal said:

@Mindthinkr Is that removable?  I'm looking for something for my non-magnetic fridge (I actually have two refrigerators, but the other is basically covered with my son's artwork.  I need space for our monthly calendar and weekly menu boards which I currently have on removable peel-and-stick "boards").

Yes. I have it screwed into the wall, but I can remove it or place it somewhere else on a whim. 

16 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Peeve?  My refrigerator magnets don't work!  They work on the sides but not on the front.  I have so many refrigerator magnets!  Why didn't somebody warn me?

I'm sorry I have no advice for you, but I feel like I saw that fridge in online reviews a while back and saw a torrent of people complaining about that. I bought my fridge early in the pandemic right before it became a nightmare to get appliances so I had a LOT of time to sit around and go down that rabbit hole comparing features and reviews of the various brands and models and usually something like that is discussed somewhere. I'm glad I did it because I love my fridge (It's a side-by-side Whirlpool) and it is fortunately magnetic. I would definitely have sent it back if it wasn't. I'm a big fridge magnet person. I know it's so throwback '80s of me, but I try to do it tastefully. 

And here's my pet peeve about stuff like this: I absolutely HATE it that I have to go down some kind of frustrating, time consuming rabbit hole comparing several models of everything I buy in terms of professional and user reviews before I feel confident about buying something. I have actually put off getting something new on that basis even when I need it.  Things didn't used to be like this years ago. I would just buy whatever Consumer Reports recommended and I'd be happy with it. But now I don't even fully trust their opinion anymore after finding out the hard way and then realizing that I should look at online user reviews too.

• Like 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I bought a new refrigerator to replace my old one which was still working great, but I bought it 40 years ago and it was costing me $200+ a month in electrical charges.  So, I trot off to the store, pick out a nice Energy * model in stainless steel with french doors and freezer on the bottom.  It gets installed no problem.

In addition, because of the french doors, there are giant hinges on the top that take up half the storage space.  It's like a great leap backwards.

You can buy these little stainless steel strips on Amazon that have stick'um on the back and put those on the front of your fridge for magnets.  I remodeled my kitchen a few years back and the plan called for the front of the fridge to be covered in paneling to match the wooden cupboard doors.  I like the look, but missed the magnets, so this was my solution. 4 strips cost less than 10 bucks.

magnetic strips

Edited by Notabug
  • Useful 5

Okay, I'm speaking from almost total ignorance here, but . . .

I just got off the phone with my sister, and a guy she knows is in the hospital with some pretty horrific injuries after being hit by a Tesla while he was walking home from a party. I don't think the police know who was at fault--or if they do, they haven't released a detailed report yet.

But I'm considering the possibility that my sister's friend might not have heard the Tesla coming because unless you exercise the option to install motor noise, there isn't any. Not long ago my husband almost got T-boned exiting our hidden driveway because an electric car was coming along that he couldn't hear, although it's been our strict policy to turn off the engine and open the windows to listen for oncoming traffic. (We had a mirror put in at the foot of the driveway, but after that we added a second one so we could see both lanes of traffic before exiting onto the road.)

Long way of saying, shouldn't it be a legal requirement for a car to be audible as well as visible to other drivers and pedestrians? I don't know why it's left up to the discretion of the car's owner. If that's even true.

• Like 7
  • Sad 3
24 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

shouldn't it be a legal requirement for a car to be audible

Little known fact, people with hearing impairments up to and including full deafness, are allowed to drive.  

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Long way of saying, shouldn't it be a legal requirement for a car to be audible as well as visible to other drivers and pedestrians? I don't know why it's left up to the discretion of the car's owner. If that's even true.

I don't know about the US but Canada and the EU have passed legislation that require  electric vehicles to have sound emitters that produce sounds that other road users can hear if they are speeding up or slowing down.  Not sure of the details and of course that doesn't help if they are already speeding! But at least as one example,  a visually handicapped pedestrian trying to cross a street will be aware that an electric vehicle is present.

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

My peeve is that stainless steel - which I don't generally care for and which would definitely not be right for my kitchen - has become the standard finish, with white now a special order and not even available in some models.  At this point, I'm probably not going to remodel my kitchen until I retire, so who knows how things will be then, but if shopping right now I'd be annoyed by the limited options.

That's why I ended up with a black stove during the pandemic.  It used natural gas and was in stock.  If I'd wanted stainless, I would have had to wait weeks.

14 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

BTW, I’m having trouble visualizing how the hinges take up storage space.  I got a French door fridge a couple of years ago, and I feel I have more storage space than I had with the old top-freezer model. At least it’s easier to access. 

The hinges take up space on the outside of the frig - on the top.  I have a small kitchen and we need that space to store things like the extra rolls of paper towels.  Because of the hinges and because I'm so short, I now have to haul the rolls over the hinge using wooden spoons or salad tongs.

It's a good frig, it holds a lot, it's very deep.  But the magnets threw me.  At work we have three stainless refrigerators and you can use magnets on the front.  I just didn't think about it when I went to buy the new one.

Thank you all for your suggestions for my very first world peeve.

• Like 7
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Dimity said:

I don't know about the US

A friend of ours bought a Tesla, which my husband has ridden in, and there's no sound in it. My sister's husband also owns an EV that has no motor sound. She says it's an option to install sound or not. So apparently no laws yet in the US.

ETA: I looked it up. There's a rule that they have to make a noise when traveling below 20mph. That seems weird and arbitrary.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

There's a rule that they have to make a noise when traveling below 20mph. That seems weird and arbitrary.

My understanding of this is because studies have shown that this is when there are the most accidents involving pedestrians.  Which makes sense.  They are pulling out of a parking spot for instance or moving on from a red light.  Times when a pedestrian is most at risk - and also other cars for that matter.  Come to think of it the only car accident I've even been in was at a light - luckily impact at a low speed but still!

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I encountered a new hazard recently, all due to someone who couldn't put her phone down and pay attention to her surroundings.  I was in the grocery store, in the produce department, in an aisle that is wide enough to have a cart going each way.  I had my cart pulled over to the side as I picked out a couple cucumbers.  I glanced over to see someone on one of those motorized shopping carts looking down at her phone and heading down the aisle right at me. It was like being in a car when you have a second to react. I leaped back and tried to pull my cart out of the way but didn't get it completely out of her path, so she crashed into it. I was saying "look out!" but she was so engrossed by whatever was on her phone she didn't hear me. Fortunately there were no injuries and she realized immediately she was at fault and apologized profusely.  At least she didn't compound her distracted driving by blaming me. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 9
  • Angry 2
On 7/23/2024 at 5:10 PM, meep.meep said:

I bought a new refrigerator to replace my old one which was still working great, but I bought it 40 years ago and it was costing me $200+ a month in electrical charges. 

Jesus.  How much do you pay per kilowatt hour of electricity?  Did you measure the usage on a Kill-a-Watt?  (I'm an electricity usage hobbyist.)

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Dimity said:

My understanding of this is because studies have shown that this is when there are the most accidents involving pedestrians.  Which makes sense.  They are pulling out of a parking spot for instance or moving on from a red light.  Times when a pedestrian is most at risk - and also other cars for that matter.  Come to think of it the only car accident I've even been in was at a light - luckily impact at a low speed but still!

I think the sounds they make are spooky and creepy but kind of cool anyway, although I do think they should make noise above 20 mph. anyway, maybe to 30 mph. I wish I could be a big fan of electric cars but they still have some kinks that need to be worked out, like the problem with batteries that after a while start to drain too quickly after charging or stop working, often just out of warranty. They are extremely costly and even difficult and dangerous to repair and replacing them is even more expensive (like $15,000). And then there's the problem with them catching fire or exploding then catching fire. While they are less likely to catch fire than internal combustion engines, when they do the fires are much hotter and harder to put out, causing more hazards in the long run. And for some reasons hybrids pose the most risk of catching fire by far probably because they have two ways that could happen.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

It would be mighty nice, too, if cars would stop for pedestrians in crosswalks.  I can't even begin to count how many times I've nearly been hit by people speeding up when they see me near a crosswalk. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 10
  • Angry 1
(edited)

The assholes that post bootlegged spoiler scenes on YouTube of movies before they’re even fucking out yet. They come up in my feed when I don’t even search for them!

Whoever does it can go screw themselves. Don’t ruin it for the rest it us!!!!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4
  • Angry 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Dimity said:

But then why the cutoff point above 20mph? Don't pedestrians--and other vehicles--also get hit at higher speeds? I know that if given the choice I'd rather be hit by a silent car going 20mph than a silent car going 90mph. Maybe I'm just odd that way.

• Like 3

Minor gripe: When you’re waiting to talk to someone and only need to ask them one question or say one thing, but someone else has already gotten to them and is monopolizing the conversation. This usually is at an event or other gathering where multiple people are present and it’s time for goodbyes at the end of the night. I’m sorry, Janet, but I want to talk to Dave too and it won’t take long. When you see other people waiting to talk to someone and you continue talking on and on anyway, it’s just annoying and rude. If you want to talk to Dave more maybe just invite him to your house or out to dinner or message him on Facebook? 

This seems to happen when I just have one question for someone but Janet or Nancy or whoever can’t shut up and say good night, or step aside for a minute and let someone else have a turn. It’s like my grandfather used to say about the customers at the bar three houses down from his house (now my mom’s house and the bar is still there!), “Just say good night already!” 

(Names in this story have been changed of course.) 

• Applause 7
2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I’m sorry, Janet, but I want to talk to Dave too and it won’t take long.

There is your line to "butt in" (with a big smile, of course), say goodbye or goodnight and then Janet and Dave can resume their conversation if they want to. Easy peasy.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

But then why the cutoff point above 20mph? Don't pedestrians--and other vehicles--also get hit at higher speeds? I know that if given the choice I'd rather be hit by a silent car going 20mph than a silent car going 90mph. Maybe I'm just odd that way.

I gather the laws have been based on input from organizations representing people with disabilities, especially those who have vision issues.   I don't know for sure but I am guessing  here are far more accidents involving vulnerable people in settings at lower speeds and that's the reason for the laws.  No idea. 

Personally I agree with you and have freaked out on more than one occasion while driving and a car goes whizzing past that I didn't hear.  I do grumble more though about the idiots with loud mufflers - or no muffler - as there are way more of them on the road right now.  Hopefully there will eventually be a happy medium.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
44 minutes ago, isalicat said:

There is your line to "butt in" (with a big smile, of course), say goodbye or goodnight and then Janet and Dave can resume their conversation if they want to. Easy peasy.

You can add an I'm sure you won't mind if I just take a second.  Makes them a total jerk if they object.

• Like 8

On 7/23/2024 at 4:10 PM, meep.meep said:

Fridges with French doors have long been shown to be the worst gas (electricity) guzzlers, but $200 a month?  That's almost twice my total monthly bill.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

July's peeve: I don't know how new it is but the recent (to me) trend on FB where someone posts a picture of some  person, place or thing and captions it "why don't pictures like this trend on Facebook". 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Minor gripe: When you’re waiting to talk to someone and only need to ask them one question or say one thing, but someone else has already gotten to them and is monopolizing the conversation. This usually is at an event or other gathering where multiple people are present and it’s time for goodbyes at the end of the night. I’m sorry, Janet, but I want to talk to Dave too and it won’t take long. When you see other people waiting to talk to someone and you continue talking on and on anyway, it’s just annoying and rude. If you want to talk to Dave more maybe just invite him to your house or out to dinner or message him on Facebook? 

This seems to happen when I just have one question for someone but Janet or Nancy or whoever can’t shut up and say good night, or step aside for a minute and let someone else have a turn. It’s like my grandfather used to say about the customers at the bar three houses down from his house (now my mom’s house and the bar is still there!), “Just say good night already!” 

(Names in this story have been changed of course.) 

I've had this happen a lot to me in my lifetime. Usually the person is so annoying and rude that even interjecting a comment is either ignored or bulldozed over or both. The only thing that would work would have to be equally as obnoxious and rude, and that's just not my way. 

The most memorable time this happened was at my last HS reunion. One of my classmates is a celebrity and of course when he goes to reunions a lot of people want to talk to him. I deliberately waited until late in the evening to approach him when there was only one person talking to him, and she'd been doing it for some time already. I knew who she was and figured she'd take my appearance as her cue to cut it off but of course that didn't happen. She completely ignored me and went on for several more minutes. What was even worse is that he knew I was patiently waiting and kept giving me acknowledging glances and raising his finger as if to say, "I see you, it'll only be a minute". After it got ridiculous I eventually gave up. It really hurt because we knew each other in HS so it's not like I was just anyone looking to talk to a celebrity. I still feel that he should have cut it off with her at some point. I didn't even get the feeling that he was that interested in what she was talking about either!

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Minor gripe: When you’re waiting to talk to someone and only need to ask them one question or say one thing, but someone else has already gotten to them and is monopolizing the conversation

To tag on to this one: reception lines. Whether at a wedding or funeral, say your piece, your joy, your sadness, your congrats or your condolences, but MOVE. ON. There are usually many, many people waiting to do the same. There will be time later to tell your story or anecdote, don't monopolize their time when they have to do this for what likely could be hours. 

I just witnessed this at calling hours for an acquaintance. People so oblivious to the long line of people behind them, in a very warm room, going on and on with their story about the deceased to a family member (sometimes ALL of them). Yet when it came time for the service, and they asked anyone to tell a favorite story about the deceased only one person volunteered. Not the lady 3 people in front of me in line who had to tell every family member about the time he showed up at her house with a generator when her power went out several winters ago.  It's not about YOU, give a hug, some sympathy and allow others to do the same.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

At my office, when someone departed, there would be a large (something like 14x16) sheet of card stock with the logo of the organization printed in the middle available for everyone to sign.  It would be framed and given to the departing employee. Most people wrote something like "enjoy retirement," "good luck at your new job," or "we'll miss you," and then signed their name, but I had a co-worker who always wrote a note that took a huge amount of the available space.  This guy was one of the longest tenured people there, so it's not surprising he had some meaningful interaction with just about every employee.  But there were 50 people in the office who had to sign this.  I always felt he should buy his own card to write that long, personal note. 

• Like 6

My annual "give me a break" rant.  It is July 27 and they are airing back to school commercials.  I know in some parts of the US this makes sense but it most definitely doesn't make sense to me here where I am.  Can't the kids at least have July before the reminders start up?

• Like 6
  • Angry 1
3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Hell, my grocery store has Halloween candy out!

Soon, it will be Christmas trees.  Damn.  

• LOL 6
5 hours ago, Dimity said:

I know in some parts of the US this makes sense

The school year was so simple - and consistent across public districts and private institutions - when I was a kid, and, since I never wanted anything to do with parenting and my close friends are all child-free as well, I haven't had any reason to keep up with the changes (regionally universal or specific to individual local schools) since.  So I am still caught unaware sometimes while driving near a school during afternoon dismissal, not at all expecting school to be in session at that time of year.

• Like 2

I tried doing a pull up at the local park and couldn't do it at all.

This exercise has been my life long nemesis since I was a kid.  I'd get embarrassed in gym class because I could never do any.  

I was overweight for a while as a kid so I thought that's why I struggled with them.  But even losing a lot of weight I still could never do them.  

Today I'm moderately in shape.  I'm not fat but not thin and still can't do one.  I wonder if it's due to my build- long arms/limbs and short legs? 

• Hugs 5
15 hours ago, Calvada said:

At my office, when someone departed, there would be a large (something like 14x16) sheet of card stock with the logo of the organization printed in the middle available for everyone to sign.  It would be framed and given to the departing employee. Most people wrote something like "enjoy retirement," "good luck at your new job," or "we'll miss you," and then signed their name, but I had a co-worker who always wrote a note that took a huge amount of the available space.  This guy was one of the longest tenured people there, so it's not surprising he had some meaningful interaction with just about every employee.  But there were 50 people in the office who had to sign this.  I always felt he should buy his own card to write that long, personal note. 

Departed sounds like they died. But you meant retired!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
24 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Departed sounds like they died. But you meant retired!

No, I meant departed.  People leave (depart) for reasons other than retirement - new job, to stay home with children, etc.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Shortly before the pandemic, I saw Christmas decorations at a department store in September.

Another peeve:  Not sure if it really SHOULD be here, but I'm trying to learn Spanish from Duolingo and one of the first phrases I learned was "Yo necesito un teléfono" (I need a phone).  It seems...dated.  I would think that needing a phone charger would be more accurate?  

Note:  According to Google Translate, a charger is cargador. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Today I'm moderately in shape.  I'm not fat but not thin and still can't do one.  I wonder if it's due to my build- long arms/limbs and short legs? 

You are trying to pull your entire body weight up so no wonder its not happening at first! (It has nothing to do with build, and everything having to do with the strength of your arms.) Start smaller - you need to do lots of push ups and lift some weights with both arms to build the arm muscles, and also try putting a sturdy chair or something under the bar so you are not lifting your body all the way from the ground to begin with. It is like anything else in terms of muscle strength - you have to do repeated exercises to gradually grow the muscle over time (and make sure you are eating enough protein). Good luck!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, isalicat said:

You are trying to pull your entire body weight up so no wonder its not happening at first! (It has nothing to do with build, and everything having to do with the strength of your arms.) Start smaller - you need to do lots of push ups and lift some weights with both arms to build the arm muscles, and also try putting a sturdy chair or something under the bar so you are not lifting your body all the way from the ground to begin with. It is like anything else in terms of muscle strength - you have to do repeated exercises to gradually grow the muscle over time (and make sure you are eating enough protein). Good luck!

I also learned from a trainer that you can hold at the top of the pull up and let yourself down before you get strong enough to pull up. So work up with the arms exercises then try the let down exercise by first standing in a chair. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

There's already Halloween candy in stores around me, too. I don't understand the concept of that; am I supposed to buy it now? That will be very festive, come October: "Here's a piece of 3-month-old candy, kid, happy Halloween!"

• LOL 9
14 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

There's already Halloween candy in stores around me, too. I don't understand the concept of that; am I supposed to buy it now?

Depending what I buy there is no way candy is staying untouched in this house for 3 months!  Which, come to think of it, may be what they count on!

• Like 8
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 2
33 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

There's already Halloween candy in stores around me, too. I don't understand the concept of that; am I supposed to buy it now? That will be very festive, come October: "Here's a piece of 3-month-old candy, kid, happy Halloween!"

It's always going to be 3 months old.  They make it advance.  They didn't used to ship it in the summer before though.  

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, DXD526 said:

am I supposed to buy it now?

Yes, to put in your kid's lunchbox.  Because that's what kids need for lunch.  🙄

• LOL 5

First day of school here is 8/22, so in only 3 1/2 weeks …not that far away. Colleges start even sooner.

I loved when there was a treat in my lunch: especially if it was a Ho-Ho, Ding Dong, or Twinkie! 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Colleges start even sooner.

When I was in university the best thing about it was that we didn't start until late September and the winter term ended in April!  I don't know if that's the way they do it here anymore.  If not yet another reason (aside from the low tuition!!) that I'm glad I went to school in the 20th century 🙂

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
26 minutes ago, Dimity said:

When I was in university the best thing about it was that we didn't start until late September and the winter term ended in April!  I don't know if that's the way they do it here anymore.  If not yet another reason (aside from the low tuition!!) that I'm glad I went to school in the 20th century 🙂

By the time I was an undergrad (1998-2002), classes began the week after regular school did (though the week before classes was orientation/Frosh Week).  Frosh had to move on Labour Day though.  Classes ended in early April with finals until mid-month or so.

• Like 2

A peeve only fellow Canadians will probably get - a while ago legislation got passed that banned news content on Facebook and a few other social media sites.  Anyway recently I've been noticing a ton (well it seems like a ton) of stories that have a catchy headline and then it says "to read more go to the first comment".  Ok I'm clueless, it took me until now to realize that this is the way the dodgier "news" sites are circumventing the ban. 

So great, just great, actual responsible journalistic sources won't stoop to this but nothing is stopping the bad actors out there from taking advantage of this and boy are they doing it.  Grrrrr

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2