Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

I don’t care for any other expensive fancy chocolate.  A Hershey bar is the best.  Godiva, etc. cannot compare.  I do like the bars with the fruit in them like raspberry tho.  Lindor or something?  I forgot.

I’m a Hershey girl.   Best chocolate in my opinion.   I hate all the “good” European chocolate.   Once in a while I’ll crave a Nestle Crunch, but Hershey’s milk chocolate is my favorite.  

• Love 2
On 12/3/2022 at 3:37 PM, Mindthinkr said:

My peeve today is finding shows on PT. I’m watching Apple’s Slow Horses and can’t find a thread on it. Something in the show is bugging me and I’d like to know if it’s bothering any other viewers. 

Sorry, in the dark here about these channels, Apple TV.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Just buy for the kids. Adults should understand that you are on a budget.

At the onset of the last Great Recession, our family's rule became gifts for 17 and younger only. Nobody saw any reason to lift that moratorium, so we never did.  With divorces and marriages and the like, our daughter, then her kids and now our great grands have so many buying for them, and thankfully, the family are all financially secure (well all but us, lol), so they really don't need for anything. I now hav 4 great grands, all under the age of three, and that's enough I'll tell ya!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I exchange actual gifts with a few friends; we all seem to like buying stuff for each other. Immediate family, same thing. As for kids, also same thing: immediate ones and the ones that belong to the friends we also exchange with. 

Every year, in November, I cash in all my credit card points for gift cards (usually Amazon, maybe some for pretty generic restaurants) and give those as gifts for some friends/family or my friends' older kids who probably prefer to pick put their own stuff. Sometimes the GCs are accompanied by a small thing to unwrap or booze. Plus, if I have more GCs than I need, I can stash them in my bag in a card just in case a person unexpectedly gives me something! I pull it out as if I had not forgotten/been taken by complete surprise, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

My sister and I buy what we want for ourselves and say it's from each other. This was her idea and it's worked out great for us. I love going into Williams-Sonoma & selecting a few pricey things that normally I wouldn't ("because it's from sister!") 😉

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 11/28/2022 at 5:20 PM, rcc said:

I remember my mother getting a call saying she won the Australian lottery. She told them she didn't know anyone in Australia and hung up. That was many years ago. We thought it was funny at the time but it really isn't and much worse these days.

Amazing, and years ago, my Mother told us she won the “Irish Sweepstakes “ to the tune of $1900.  In those days, that was a lot of money.  She said people and friends rang her bell asking for money.  They put a down payment on a house.  She loved Bingo and went twice a week.  That was her out in those days.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

My sister and I buy what we want for ourselves and say it's from each other

My brother and I settled on this more than a decade ago when we realized we were just exchanging money in the form of gift cards (I hate gift cards, but that's another story).   The only caveat was "Tell me what I bought you, in case Mother asks about it"

Edited by Quof
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 11/22/2022 at 7:10 AM, theredhead77 said:

I love peppermint mocha's. I'd be fine with cancelling all the pumpkin spice. It is the worst holiday flavor and I am tired of pumpkin spice being thrown at me from every direction.

Pet peeve: ubiquitous, excessive holiday flavours/scents such as pumpkin spice and cinnamon and peppermint. 

On 11/28/2022 at 7:20 PM, Bastet said:

My mom has been muttering this about my dad for over 50 years now.  But he somehow only has this blindness in the refrigerator.  Anywhere else, he looks around like the intelligent person he is.  But if whatever he's looking for in the refrigerator isn't front and center, he's somehow rendered incapable of moving items to look behind them.

I call this Male Pattern Refrigerator Blindness.

On 12/3/2022 at 3:53 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Getting the mail at 6:50pm on Saturday night.

What happened to no Saturday delivery?  I'm fine with that, and if they're this shorthanded, they should omit it. This outfit is losing a bazillion bucks every fiscal quarter, plus I don't like leaving mail in the box overnight, and having to shlep out to the mailbox to retrieve mail after dark, when I've 'settled in' for the night.

Related peeve: why do so few American houses have actual letter boxes where the mail lands inside the house, as opposed to a box on a post that any passing Tom, Dick, or Harry can raid? 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

Related peeve: why do so few American houses have actual letter boxes where the mail lands inside the house, as opposed to a box on a post that any passing Tom, Dick, or Harry can raid? 

Those of us with mailboxes are lucky to have  mail delivered so close to our houses. A lot of new developments only have mailrooms. You have to walk or drive to the bldg each day to get your mail. I wouldn't enjoy doing this (although I do know someone who put a birthday card, with check inside, in her mailbox & it was stolen). There's something about a slot in my front door, where the mail can be inserted, that makes me a bit uncomfy. 

5 hours ago, Leeds said:

Because the USPS has systematically strong-armed developers/jurisdictions to place mail receptacles at the street, often in groups, so they can shave direct labor hours. Imagine how late the mail delivery would be if the carriers had to walk up drivways/sidwalks to place at the door?  I'd have to put a bivouac at the curb, lol.

Older, more urban neighborhoods are still walking routes, but beyond that, it's all done from the mail truck at the curb.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Sad 3
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Those of us with mailboxes are lucky to have  mail delivered so close to our houses. A lot of new developments only have mailrooms. You have to walk or drive to the bldg each day to get your mail. I wouldn't enjoy doing this (although I do know someone who put a birthday card, with check inside, in her mailbox & it was stolen). There's something about a slot in my front door, where the mail can be inserted, that makes me a bit uncomfy. 

I've dealt with 3 different types of mail delivery. Growing up in a small, rural town, there was no mail delivery, you had to go to the tiny post office where you had a combination lock box to retrieve your mail from. When I moved to my next home in a new, larger suburb, we had a mailbox at the end of our driveway where the mail person would just drive up and stick in the box. I have now moved to an older, larger suburb where our mail can be* delivered to our door by a walking mail person.

*Can be but because our driveway is very long, we opted to have a mailbox installed at the end of the driveway to save our mail person some time. 

17 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

At the onset of the last Great Recession, our family's rule became gifts for 17 and younger only. Nobody saw any reason to lift that moratorium, so we never did.  With divorces and marriages and the like, our daughter, then her kids and now our great grands have so many buying for them, and thankfully, the family are all financially secure (well all but us, lol), so they really don't need for anything. I now hav 4 great grands, all under the age of three, and that's enough I'll tell ya!

My family had an unofficial under 18 years of age rule for the grandkids/nieces/nephews. As adults my siblings and I do not exchange gifts since none of us needs anything and well, because my brother is an a$$hole and refused to purchase gifts for anyone but expected to be handed a pile when he walked through the door. 

• Mind Blown 3
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Older, more urban neighborhoods are still walking routes, but beyond that, it's all done from the mail truck at the curb.

I have the former, my parents the latter.  Mine is an ideal set-up; the mail slot (in the wall next to my front door) is accessed from the inside via my foyer closet, so it's in the house, but not littered across my floor.  Thankfully, we generally have pleasant weather here, and there are no fences in between front yards (only the back yards), so the letter carriers walk directly across from house to house rather than having to go up and down driveways/walkways and back to the sidewalk each time.  USPS packages are delivered separately, via truck, so they're not dealing with those.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

As adults my siblings and I do not exchange gifts since none of us needs anything and well, because my brother is an a$$hole and refused to purchase gifts for anyone but expected to be handed a pile when he walked through the door. 

😕

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
10 hours ago, Leeds said:

Male Refrigerator Blindness:  Hysterical

US mailboxes:  This is something you just have to accept in more rural areas.  It's too much time for the postal workers to go up to each door.  I know you grew up in the UK, so maybe it's different.  Having grown up in crime-ridden NYC, I used to wonder about this, but I think that mail theft is not a huge problem in these areas.  It's paradoxical.  In NYC apartments, we have mailboxes ganged together in the lobby, and they are locked. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 2

One of my many favorite bits from the Seth Meyers stand-up special Lobby Baby is when he talks as his wife, giving her the chance to tell stories about him.  The first thing "she" talks about is how he looks for things:  "He looks one place, and if it’s not there, he loses his mind."  I love her yogurt in the refrigerator example, but this is my favorite:

This is my husband if he was on Apollo 13: “Houston, we have a problem -- there is no moon.”  And then I would ask, “Have you looked out both windows?”  And then, there would be a pause, followed by, “Houston … we’re good to go.”

• LOL 12
7 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Mail delivery trivia:  the small postal trucks that deliver to the boxes at the end of the driveway have right-hand drive like British cars, so the drivers can reach into the boxes while driving on the correct side of the street. 

I live by the post office. All the trucks are right hand drive. I live in a big city, but my area is older, with a mixture of beautiful old houses and Deco era apartments. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Leeds said:

Love this!  The other night my husband, an engineer who has a very responsible job BTW, stood helpless staring into the fridge trying to find the mustard.  You know, the condiment that comes in a bright yellow container.  Sigh.  It was  on the door, front and centre, when I went over to help him find it.  Sometimes I really worry about things like this but if it's a recognized male disorder I guess it's ok.

• LOL 8

With how insane people have gotten over the last few years, I'm happy we don't have mail slots in our doors. I don't even like to think about the kinds of things that lunatics could drop into our houses. The less access the better.

I have Male Pattern Refrigerator Blindness. No penis, though. Yet.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I grew up in a house in Chicago and will admit I have a huge pet peeve that where I am now (leaving at the end of the month) does not have a mail slot on the front door. I grew up with one. 

I'm in Toronto and new developments have had mailboxes on the street since the late 80s.  As in some people have to walk half a block to get their mail.  In the snow.  Good thing I live in a condo.  At least the mail room is indoors.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, PRgal said:

As in some people have to walk half a block to get their mail. 

I have this where I am now.  I admit sometimes it's the only exercise I get so I'm not going to complain.  What I will complain about is how little real mail I get (same for most people I'm sure) so I don't get the mail every day.  Problem is if I wait too long the mailbox is stuffed with junk.  I seem to remember reading, back in the '80s, how we were heading towards a paperless society.  Not in my lifetime.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Applause 1

All this mail talk is reminding me to recommend (for USA folks) that you sign up for “informed delivery”. There should be instructions on the USPS website. It will give you a preview (optionally by email) of mail you should be receiving each day. 

Apparently there is a potential for identity theft of sorts if someone signs up for your address before you claim it. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

All this mail talk is reminding me to recommend (for USA folks) that you sign up for “informed delivery”. There should be instructions on the USPS website. It will give you a preview (optionally by email) of mail you should be receiving each day. 

Apparently there is a potential for identity theft of sorts if someone signs up for your address before you claim it. 

Yes! I got this when I had my dad's mail rerouted here.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I just tried signing up for this and after trying about 10 different user name and password combinations, I gave up for now. Apparently no one has signed up for my address but they have used every user name and password I could come up with, lol.

• Mind Blown 3
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

I'm in Toronto and new developments have had mailboxes on the street since the late 80s.  As in some people have to walk half a block to get their mail.  In the snow. 

Is it uphill on the way there and uphill on the way back?

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 2

I've actually tried in the past to sign up for Informed Delivery and have been rejected at the USPS site.  I just tried again with my account and this appeared:

"Your address is not eligible for Informed Delivery. We update our lists weekly, please try again next week."

I live in midtown Manhattan, I have been here for many years.  Go figure.

• Mind Blown 3
On 12/2/2022 at 12:22 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

It's as baffling as catcalling. Guys... WTF is your endgame?! Do you really want a relationship to start that way? Do you want your grandchildren to ask how you met their grandma, and you reply,

"I was sitting on a stoop and I yelled at her, 'nice titties!' and, well, the rest is history!"

My Nana always said my Grandfather told her that he saw her from behind and had to go talk to her. I'm glad she ended up liking him or I wouldn't be here...😸

My peeve is people who still think and thought in the past that women traveling without men was something shocking to the point of gasping when told.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
11 hours ago, roseha said:

I've actually tried in the past to sign up for Informed Delivery and have been rejected at the USPS site.  I just tried again with my account and this appeared:

"Your address is not eligible for Informed Delivery. We update our lists weekly, please try again next week."

I live in midtown Manhattan, I have been here for many years.  Go figure.

That's weird.  I live on the UES and have been getting informed delivery since Covid started .

• Love 1

I just love how our natural gas supplier is about to raise our rates and is now sending us helpful emails on how to save on energy costs this winter.   Nice the way they're concerned for us.  Yes, I am being sarcastic.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 4
On 12/5/2022 at 12:38 PM, BexKeps said:

I've dealt with 3 different types of mail delivery. Growing up in a small, rural town, there was no mail delivery, you had to go to the tiny post office where you had a combination lock box to retrieve your mail from. When I moved to my next home in a new, larger suburb, we had a mailbox at the end of our driveway where the mail person would just drive up and stick in the box. I have now moved to an older, larger suburb where our mail can be* delivered to our door by a walking mail person.

*Can be but because our driveway is very long, we opted to have a mailbox installed at the end of the driveway to save our mail person some time. 

My family had an unofficial under 18 years of age rule for the grandkids/nieces/nephews. As adults my siblings and I do not exchange gifts since none of us needs anything and well, because my brother is an a$$hole and refused to purchase gifts for anyone but expected to be handed a pile when he walked through the door. 

Isn’t it funny, but there’s always one asshole in the family.  Who’s an asshole, who’s not talking this year, who’s insulted about something, and it goes on and on with families.  It’s all such a waste, as life is too short.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Isn’t it funny, but there’s always one asshole in the family.  Who’s an asshole, who’s not talking this year, who’s insulted about something, and it goes on and on with families.  It’s all such a waste, as life is too short.

Yes, life is way too short for that stuff!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

We've been informed that remote recycling sites are being discontinued because of skyrocketing costs associated with it.  Yes, this will add to the tonnage at landfills, and yes, this will add to roadside dumping, but this photo is a good example of why this decision has been made. Our county landfill allows one load per month, free, for residents to bring items.

Assholes

I snapped this in mid-January last year, at the site closest to our home - 

image.png.141a72e8d6ba41ddc119345154fb0d65.png

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Sad 7

This site.  With the lags, delays, buffering, page landings jumping around instead of accurately going to the most recent post, server errors and on and on.

I know, "site is undergoing updates" or some such thing.  I realize this is an expansive site, but seems they are constantly in a state of updating.  What will the name be this time?

End of rant.

• Like 6

So one of my house lions was sitting on my keyboard and managed to hit a combination of keystrokes that now makes Chrome randomly sound like a 1980s space themed video game. It's not the fan or the computer, it's literally chrome. I cannot figure out what he did to undo it.

• LOL 10
28 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

So one of my house lions was sitting on my keyboard and managed to hit a combination of keystrokes that now makes Chrome randomly sound like a 1980s space themed video game. It's not the fan or the computer, it's literally chrome. I cannot figure out what he did to undo it.

Almost every time I stayed at my parents' house to catsit, there would come a point when Bandit, annoyed with my laptop being on my lap, not allowing him to properly stretch out, would step on the keyboard and somehow hit something that would make the touchpad mouse as slow as molasses.  I never figured out what it was, and the only way I could undo it was to restart the computer.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Almost every time I stayed at my parents' house to catsit, there would come a point when Bandit, annoyed with my laptop being on my lap, not allowing him to properly stretch out, would step on the keyboard and somehow hit something that would make the touchpad mouse as slow as molasses.  I never figured out what it was, and the only way I could undo it was to restart the computer.

He does that too. I have no idea what he did here. Rebooting doesn't help. Muting does, and I usually have my computer muted so this isn't the end of the world.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

22 hours ago, Bastet said:

21 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

He does that too. I have no idea what he did here. Rebooting doesn't help. Muting does, and I usually have my computer muted so this isn't the end of the world.

I finally figured it out! There is a setting to turn on a beep when pressing certain keys. That setting is now off. Woohoo!

• Applause 7

Peeve: shipping "detours."

At 5 a.m. yesterday, the tracking app for a package I ordered showed it in a town 75 miles away. Happy face. This morning, it appears to be en route to a city 400 miles away. Puzzled face.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 12/6/2022 at 9:35 PM, kristen111 said:

You wouldn't even believe what an asshole my bro is, he looks for things to be pissed off about at every family event so he can cause a scene and have my mom cater to whatever demand he has at the time. Heading to the Family, the good the bad the ugly forum now.....

• Sad 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2
On 12/4/2022 at 5:18 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I exchange actual gifts with a few friends; we all seem to like buying stuff for each other. Immediate family, same thing. As for kids, also same thing: immediate ones and the ones that belong to the friends we also exchange with. 

Every year, in November, I cash in all my credit card points for gift cards (usually Amazon, maybe some for pretty generic restaurants) and give those as gifts for some friends/family or my friends' older kids who probably prefer to pick put their own stuff. Sometimes the GCs are accompanied by a small thing to unwrap or booze. Plus, if I have more GCs than I need, I can stash them in my bag in a card just in case a person unexpectedly gives me something! I pull it out as if I had not forgotten/been taken by complete surprise, haha!

I buy my grands Amazon gift cards for Christmas/Birthdays/Graduations. They live in CA and I am in MT probably not likely to be there again anytime soon. Best I can do on my budget. DS and DD get gift cards too. 

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I buy my grands Amazon gift cards for Christmas/Birthdays/Graduations. They live in CA and I am in MT probably not likely to be there again anytime soon. Best I can do on my budget. DS and DD get gift cards too. 

That's what I get my DIL as well. We ship stuff to our son and we often add gifts for her but her diet is so restricted right now, we're at a loss about treats to send. I'd rather she just gets what she wants.

• Love 2

Gift cards are better then underwear.

Peeve: People who creepily purchase other kids underwear who they aren't very close to.

When I was in mid to upper single digits I had an uncle and his wife who for a couple years gave me fancier young girls panties which really creeped me out to make it worse the things made me itch too. They were always white waffle patterned with a flower on top of a leg hole edge on one side of each pair.

I've never liked white underwear for myself personally.  If those two were that intent on giving me underwear I would have been happier with a couple jewel toned packs of Hanes. The 2nd year I walked up to them and said "Barbies. Barbies. Please no more panties if you want to get me anything make it Barbie stuff.". Luckily the next year it was that. I don't think I've been made to feel that creeped out in regards to gifts since which is why it's something that's always stuck with me.

• Useful 3