Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

Yep, yep, yep. I was on them 7 or so years ago, disgusting. I have a friend who is trying them out. She told me that with in 48 hours she'd been more sexually harassed and seen more unwanted penis than she ever did when we were in the USMC. 

Why do men think we want to see that shit? Bleh.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
5 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Show me your abs not your penis lol.

Do men think oh gosh look at that beautiful penis I want to have sex with the guy right away ? Men are something!

It's as baffling as catcalling. Guys... WTF is your endgame?! Do you really want a relationship to start that way? Do you want your grandchildren to ask how you met their grandma, and you reply,

"I was sitting on a stoop and I yelled at her, 'nice titties!' and, well, the rest is history!"

Going back to pet peeves regarding redundancy... I don't know if this is strictly a Southern thing or what, but stop calling them "ink pens"! Unless there are pens out there filled with hot dog water or human blood, all pens use ink! Just call them "pens"!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

It's as baffling as catcalling. Guys... WTF is your endgame?! Do you really want a relationship to start that way? Do you want your grandchildren to ask how you met their grandma, and you reply,

"I was sitting on a stoop and I yelled at her, 'nice titties!' and, well, the rest is history!"

Going back to pet peeves regarding redundancy... I don't know if this is strictly a Southern thing or what, but stop calling them "ink pens"! Unless there are pens out there filled with hot dog water or human blood, all pens use ink! Just call them "pens"!!

See also; hot water heater

• Like 2
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

hot water heater

🤣

1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

It's not about that. It's because you can bother women that way. About power. Nothing else, really. And showing off to your buddies if you get a reaction of some kind.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
46 minutes ago, supposebly said:

🤣

It's not about that. It's because you can bother women that way. About power. Nothing else, really. And showing off to your buddies if you get a reaction of some kind.

Yep, the same as with dick pics. The more they can make us uncomfortable and scared the better. It's about power and contol.

• Fire 1
  • Love 6

I have always wanted to stop and walk back to the guy, like, "Oh, hey! So what's up?" I know catcalling is rooted in systemic sexism and worse, but on a superficial level (and perhaps one that is too optimistic of me), I bet a larger percentage of the dudes who do it are probably just stupid idiots at worst (on par with the old men* who call you sweetheart or tell you you " got gams for days" or some shit) who would be completely baffled and embarrassed, and maybe even apologize. 

*I always let the old dudes slide; it's too late (and they probably mean well). "Sadly," I'm probably out of the younger dudes' target demographic now to have the opportunity to bother trying. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have always wanted to stop and walk back to the guy, like, "Oh, hey! So what's up?" I know catcalling rooted in systemic sexism and worse, but on a superficial level (and perhaps one that is too optimistic of me), I bet a larger percentage of the dudes who do it are probably just stupid idiots at worst (on par with the old men* who call you sweetheart or tell you you " got gams for days" or some shit) who would be completely baffled and embarrassed, and maybe even apologize. 

*I always let the old dudes slide; it's too late. "Sadly," I'm probably out of the younger dudes' target demographic now to have the oppirtunity to bother trying. 

Really, what do these guys expect from us? Especially if a man just whistles as you walk by, do they expect you to turn around and say thank you?

I live in the suburbs and don't get this stuff as much as when I'm in the city, but sometimes I'll still get approached by very young guys. I'm in my mid30s and have been hit on by teens at the mall. When I was in Vegas, these guys who looked probably early 20s were all trying to talk to me, ask me my name, and one shouted out "I love cougars!" Um, not a compliment, and sorry, I am not interested in much younger men. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Once, the gas station man asked how I was -- he was an old coot, haha! -- and I reflexively said "hot and dirty," as it was August and I'd just come from cleaning the animal shelter where I volunteer. Well, he did an exaggerated leer that was much funnier than it was creepy, and we both started laughing at the inappropriateness of it all.  

• LOL 4

Sometimes I'll watch homemaking/femininity content on YouTube. A lot of the creators' ideologies/lifestyles are absolutely nothing like my own. But I am into very feminine fashion, and I like inspiration for cooking & cleaning.

My pet peeve is some of these creators talk like they're persecuted for wanting marriage, children, and to be homemakers. I'm not saying there aren't jerks out there, but as a whole, I don't know anyone who puts down women for wanting families and to raise their kids. That includes the vast, vast majority feminists. I feel like some of these women will use one quote someone said decades ago to act like they're oppressed. And they also say only career women are celebrated, not mothers. 

What most women I know (certainly myself) deal with is quite the opposite. When are you getting married? Do you have a boyfriend yet? Do you want me to set you up? You're so pretty, how are you single? Don't you want to have kids? Don't you want to give your parents grandchildren? When are you having children? There's something wrong with people who don't want kids! The childfree are selfish. 

And as a single woman, I have spent a lot of time and money celebrating engagements, marriages, babies, and many times, these weren't even situations involving close friends, but coworkers. Mothers are oftentimes assumed to be better people than non-mothers. I don't know how many times I've heard "She's a mother!" to defend someone. And we cannot forget Mother's Day. 

My sister went above and beyond for friends during these occasions, and when she graduated from medical school, some of the same friends didn't show up to her graduation, get her a gift, nothing. How are "boss babes" worshipped? There is a certain element of wow when someone has accomplished something that not everyone has the aptitude for, but that isn't a knock on mothers. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

My pet peeve is some of these creators talk like they're persecuted for wanting marriage, children, and to be homemakers. I'm not saying there aren't jerks out there, but as a whole, I don't know anyone who puts down women for wanting families and to raise their kids. That includes the vast, vast majority feminists. I feel like some of these women will use one quote someone said decades ago to act like they're oppressed. And they also say only career women are celebrated, not mothers. 

But they certainly DO feel that way, especially when everything they see is Girl Boss/Girl Power this or that.  And a lot of it implies that one shouldn't want to be traditional/old fashioned, and that being so is not doing anything for The Cause.  It may just be their imagination, but it's a real imagination and we shouldn't dismiss their feelings.  It's like my pet peeve of emphasizing (a certain kind of) diversity.  I'm sure it's just my imagination too, but I feel as if being acculturated/integrated to "mainstream" (read Anglo-Protestant) Canadian culture when you're not from that background - especially when you're not white - is bad (and if your heritage is from a colonized part of the world, then you desperately need to be "decolonized").  Worse is when people seem to find it weird that you've created your own traditions that are a custom of neither culture(s).  Don't forget that everyone has feelings. 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, PRgal said:

But they certainly DO feel that way, especially when everything they see is Girl Boss/Girl Power this or that.  And a lot of it implies that one shouldn't want to be traditional/old fashioned, and that being so is not doing anything for The Cause.  It may just be their imagination, but it's a real imagination and we shouldn't dismiss their feelings.  It's like my pet peeve of emphasizing (a certain kind of) diversity.  I'm sure it's just my imagination too, but I feel as if being acculturated/integrated to "mainstream" (read Anglo-Protestant) Canadian culture when you're not from that background - especially when you're not white - is bad (and if your heritage is from a colonized part of the world, then you desperately need to be "decolonized").  Worse is when people seem to find it weird that you've created your own traditions that are a custom of neither culture(s).  Don't forget that everyone has feelings. 

This isn’t about not caring about everyone’s feelings. It’s just not seeing seeing the widespread discouragement of marriage and motherhood, quite the opposite. I usually only see it discouraged is if someone is going to marry a man who’s bad news, rushing into it, or teen pregnancy. I want to get married and have kids myself, and I’m not the most career-oriented person. For me, I like a balance between career and family, and I do like making my own money. But I support everyone from full-time homemakers to a woman who wants to become president. A big reason we hear things like “girl power” is because men still hold so much of the power, not that us women who aren’t “boss babes” are worthless. These same women whom I referred to in my original post also seem to forget most men aren’t even CEOs and whatnot. Perhaps our feelings about this topic are due to regional/cultural differences. I am an American woman who lives in the south. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I am an American woman who lives in the south. 

I always thought you were from New York!  I guess this is my Canadianism showing - to me you sound urban cool and that's New York to me 😃!

On the topic of peeves: it is discouraging to me that young women still seem to be having the same battles that were raging when I was a young mother.  It was annoying then that women seemed to be playing the "who is the better mother" game,  SAHM vs work outside the home.  And here we are turning the corner to 2023 and nothing has changed.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I always thought you were from New York!  I guess this is my Canadianism showing - to me you sound urban cool and that's New York to me 😃!

On the topic of peeves: it is discouraging to me that young women still seem to be having the same battles that were raging when I was a young mother.  It was annoying then that women seemed to be playing the "who is the better mother" game,  SAHM vs work outside the home.  And here we are turning the corner to 2023 and nothing has changed.

I get it more from people old enough to be my mother than from my peers!  Mostly from immigrant ladies who think I'm not emphasizing enough of my cultural heritage.  Oh, and my mom (and dad) who, at one point, thought I wasn't giving my son enough protein (I was, it just didn't come from meat).

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

This isn’t about not caring about everyone’s feelings. It’s just not seeing seeing the widespread discouragement of marriage and motherhood, quite the opposite. I usually only see it discouraged is if someone is going to marry a man who’s bad news, rushing into it, or teen pregnancy. I want to get married and have kids myself, and I’m not the most career-oriented person. For me, I like a balance between career and family, and I do like making my own money. But I support everyone from full-time homemakers to a woman who wants to become president. A big reason we hear things like “girl power” is because men still hold so much of the power, not that us women who aren’t “boss babes” are worthless. These same women whom I referred to in my original post also seem to forget most men aren’t even CEOs and whatnot. Perhaps our feelings about this topic are due to regional/cultural differences. I am an American woman who lives in the south. 

Many certainly aren't.  Or those who choose more traditional paths think they're letting The Cause down.  I've PERSONALLY had a woman get upset with me because I said I actually LIKED wearing bras and that it made me feel more "womanly" (keep in mind I have iddy biddies...30B if you don't think it's TMI).  She told me that I was buying into too much of the male gaze.  I got back at her and told her the beauty of feminism was the right to choose and that I CHOOSE to wear push ups.  That said, I'm also not much of a fan of those who push STEM and only STEM for girls and women and not, say, finance/PE (private equity)/VC (venture capitalism).  Women-run/founded businesses get far less funding because most investors are men.  I could also go on about boys and education issues, but that's for another post.  

ETA:  And yes, I think some of this could be regional/cultural.  Toronto gal (born and raised), 43 and daughter of immigrants here.

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

How funny! I'm flattered. :)

15 hours ago, PRgal said:

I get it more from people old enough to be my mother than from my peers!  Mostly from immigrant ladies who think I'm not emphasizing enough of my cultural heritage.  Oh, and my mom (and dad) who, at one point, thought I wasn't giving my son enough protein (I was, it just didn't come from meat).

Many certainly aren't.  Or those who choose more traditional paths think they're letting The Cause down.  I've PERSONALLY had a woman get upset with me because I said I actually LIKED wearing bras and that it made me feel more "womanly" (keep in mind I have iddy biddies...30B if you don't think it's TMI).  She told me that I was buying into too much of the male gaze.  I got back at her and told her the beauty of feminism was the right to choose and that I CHOOSE to wear push ups.  That said, I'm also not much of a fan of those who push STEM and only STEM for girls and women and not, say, finance/PE (private equity)/VC (venture capitalism).  Women-run/founded businesses get far less funding because most investors are men.  I could also go on about boys and education issues, but that's for another post.  

ETA:  And yes, I think some of this could be regional/cultural.  Toronto gal (born and raised), 43 and daughter of immigrants here.

We probably have more in common than you think. I mean, I've even felt judged on here just because I admit I care about my looks a lot. I know they shouldn't define me as a a woman, nor do I style myself in order to make men happy. I do not. That said, I do think it's natural to want a little respectful attention from the sex you're attracted to. I'm flattered if a man tells me I look nice or am pretty. I do, however, prefer compliments from women. :) It feels so good when someone who has no interior motives says something kind to you. But again, I ultimately dress for me. 

Just like non-feminists, feminists' opinions will vary, and you can't make them all happy. I can be critical of some of them too, trust me. I know I wouldn't fit in in some feminist circles just because I will ask questions and can have different opinions. 

I am basically as feminine as it gets. I love dresses, makeup, wear heels if I can get around in them that day, etc. I agree with you that feminism should be about choice. Women should be able to choose what they want to do with their lives, wear what they want to wear, if they want to shave or not, etc. 

• Applause 3
16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

My peeve today is finding shows on PT. I’m watching Apple’s Slow Horses and can’t find a thread on it. Something in the show is bugging me and I’d like to know if it’s bothering any other viewers. 

It’s definitely out there - a full forum, under Dramas.  Or you should be able to go to the master list (between your shows and “beyond tv”) and follow it from there.  Search was definitely flaky. The default seemed to be to return everything with “slow” or “horses” anywhere in the post :(

Edited by SoMuchTV
needed a ")" to go with the "("
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I agree with you that feminism should be about choice. Women should be able to choose what they want to do with their lives, wear what they want to wear, if they want to shave or not, etc. 

Feminism also examines the ingrained biases and sexist societal pressures that affect women's choices.  As long as a woman is doing something because she wants to, not because she thinks it would be wrong to do otherwise because of her gender, it's all good.

• Love 9

And today's peeve is with the actual "phone" function of my iPhone.  For the second week in a row, I've accidentally called my son (parent of a 5-year-old, who was probably hoping to sleep in a little) at 8am on a Saturday. 

Last week was when we were en route to his house (still a few hours away) and I pulled up his contact info so Mr.TV could put it in his maps app.  (Why doesn't he have his son's address?  Separate peeve.)  But if you touch the wrong place on the contact info, hey, let's call him!

Next time, I'm listening to something on my new earphones.  Turns out that the button presses on my old set that meant "skip forward", on my new set mean "redial the latest number". 

Sorry about that, kid.  I'm sure it's only partial payback for your youth.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
24 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

And today's peeve is with the actual "phone" function of my iPhone.  For the second week in a row, I've accidentally called my son (parent of a 5-year-old, who was probably hoping to sleep in a little) at 8am on a Saturday. 

Last week was when we were en route to his house (still a few hours away) and I pulled up his contact info so Mr.TV could put it in his maps app.  (Why doesn't he have his son's address?  Separate peeve.)  But if you touch the wrong place on the contact info, hey, let's call him!

Next time, I'm listening to something on my new earphones.  Turns out that the button presses on my old set that meant "skip forward", on my new set mean "redial the latest number". 

Sorry about that, kid.  I'm sure it's only partial payback for your youth.

Mom of a four year old here.  There’s no such thing as sleeping in for us.  We don’t even get to hope.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Mom of a four year old here.  There’s no such thing as sleeping in for us.  We don’t even get to hope.  

Been there, done that! This too shall pass! (I have the latter on a ring just to remind me, because its true of pretty much everything...).

Pet peeve: Anyone who calls me about Medicare supplemental insurance (over and over and over again....). Die!!! (not really, but maybe!)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Getting the mail at 6:50pm on Saturday night.

What happened to no Saturday delivery?  I'm fine with that, and if they're this shorthanded, they should omit it. This outfit is losing a bazillion bucks every fiscal quarter, plus I don't like leaving mail in the box overnight, and having to shlep out to the mailbox to retrieve mail after dark, when I've 'settled in' for the night.

Am I old or what?  lol

Signed,

Karen

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3

Pet Peeve:  A laundry product known for advertising itself as "Safe" and "Clean" and "Natural" that is now being recalled for harboring multiple types of Bacteria:

https://www.consumerreports.org/home-garden/home-product-recalls/laundress-cleaning-product-recall-bacterial-contamination-a5417029808/

Why does this bother me in particular?  Because I had just hand washed two shirts with their detergent before getting an email from Amazon - *not* The Laundress (aka Unilever) themselves - telling me that their product was unsafe (I had bought directly from them at least once)!

I have since tossed it and the shirts since I have to use a communal laundry room and apparently it's not easy to get rid of the bacteria even after washing unless  you add bleach to your machine.

Grrrr.  You should see their Instagram page!

• Mind Blown 4
5 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My pet peeve is targeted ads for shapewear. I get them nonstop. While I am a little heavier around the waist than I used to be I also lost 15 pounds over several months. The nonstop shapewear ads make me feel fat.

Did you visit a shapewear site recently?  I get a lot of ads for one as well, but I was on their site recently.  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Getting the mail at 6:50pm on Saturday night.

What happened to no Saturday delivery?  I'm fine with that, and if they're this shorthanded, they should omit it. This outfit is losing a bazillion bucks every fiscal quarter, plus I don't like leaving mail in the box overnight, and having to shlep out to the mailbox to retrieve mail after dark, when I've 'settled in' for the night.

Am I old or what?  lol

Signed,

Karen

I see people delivering packages at 10 pm in my building. And we are prone to package theft so… yeah

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
12 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Companies shrinking sizes on clothing and food! 

Maybe they’re correcting the mega-sizing they did for the past few years?  I went from size 2 to 00 without losing weight in my 20s 

• Like 1

Christmas Gifts:   Here we go again.  Gifts for six grandkids is enough, I think.  Since I can’t get out to stores this year, ordering gifts on line is very stressful.  Either they don’t have the sizes, or you don’t have a clue what to buy again.  I but for my kids during the year if something catches my eye.  Buying for them at Christmas is a hassle for me, and expensive.  I have Doctor and hospital bills coming in.  Do I suggest for the kids only, and a secret Santa for one adult?  Does everyone here give to both kids and the grownups?  Too stressful.  What do you all do?  Love, Scrooge.  ( I buy fir six kids and five adults.  If I buy gift cards, it’s usually $50 and up.)

• Sad 3
On 12/2/2022 at 1:22 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:
12/2/2022 at 1:12 PM, oliviabenson said:

Show me your abs not your penis lol.

Do men think oh gosh look at that beautiful penis I want to have sex with the guy right away ? Men are something!

I’m old now, but felt the same when I was young.  I don’t care to see a man naked or with little clothes.  But, show me a man in a good suit, shirt, tie, polished shoes, nice watch and good cologne, and I’m his.  Nothing more sexy than a well dressed man.  This penis naked shit does not impress all women.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Companies shrinking sizes on clothing and food! 

Yes .. my cough drops are half the size, Oreo cookies and all cupcakes are smaller, etc.  Mallomars are the size of a quarter and Mac n cheese got smaller.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 2
33 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Christmas Gifts:   Here we go again.  Gifts for six grandkids is enough, I think.  Since I can’t get out to stores this year, ordering gifts on line is very stressful.  Either they don’t have the sizes, or you don’t have a clue what to buy again.  I but for my kids during the year if something catches my eye.  Buying for them at Christmas is a hassle for me, and expensive.  I have Doctor and hospital bills coming in.  Do I suggest for the kids only, and a secret Santa for one adult?  Does everyone here give to both kids and the grownups?  Too stressful.  What do you all do?  Love, Scrooge.  ( I buy fir six kids and five adults.  If I buy gift cards, it’s usually $50 and up.)

Just buy for the kids. Adults should understand that you are on a budget.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Yes .. my cough drops are half the size, Oreo cookies and all cupcakes are smaller, etc.  Mallomars are the size of a quarter and Mac n cheese got smaller.

We always buy Belgian choco;ates from Costso at this time of year. Not only are the boxes cheap and flimsy but the chocolates are minuscule.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Just buy for the kids. Adults should understand that you are on a budget.

Thank you.  Just what I wanted to hear.  Makes sense.

20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We always buy Belgian choco;ates from Costso at this time of year. Not only are the boxes cheap and flimsy but the chocolates are minuscule.

Manufacturers are cutting down on everything, but not the prices; they are higher.  I don’t eat candy, but now and then I love a Hershey Bar at the counter when checking out.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Does everyone here give to both kids and the grownups?

Thankfully, I have no children in my life.  I buy Christmas presents for my parents and two of my best friends (with the third, we traditionally go out to dinner at a new-to-us restaurant, but since the pandemic we've been either ordering in or cooking together).  But among my friends who have nieces and nephews, the deal is a few things for the kids and one present each to the adults.  Some just do one adult present, period, where they draw names in advance and each adult has just one adult to buy for.

If you have SIX grandkids to buy for and already give your adult kids presents as you come across things they might like, you should absolutely give the "kids" a heads-up you're just doing grandkid presents this Christmas and they should have no problem with that.  If you find you feel weird not giving them anything for Christmas, going forward just save up those things you come across during the year and give them next Christmas.

• Love 5

The DMV.  When my mother died this summer, I had to retitle my parents' vehicles, and I added my name as survivor (I am executor and also have power of attorney for my father, who has dementia).  I also paid the insurance.  I have proof.  Assholes at the DMV sent both my father and me letters telling us that they can't find proof of insurance, and if I don't provide it within the next week, we'll be suspended from driving and owning cars, and all sorts of mean, nasty things.  The letter says I can provide the proof in the DMV's online portal.  So I go there and enter the requested information.  When I hit submit, I get a message that essentially says, oh, yeah, we've got that.  Then WHY SEND THE LETTERS, you dipshits?

I'm planning on calling them tomorrow just to verify, but dammit, I shouldn't have to.  All that should have been clear when I retitled the cars.

(No, my father doesn't drive anymore -- he hasn't in years -- but my siblings and I drive the one car, and we will get rid of the other one this month.)

• Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 5
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Thank you.  Just what I wanted to hear.  Makes sense.

Manufacturers are cutting down on everything, but not the prices; they are higher.  I don’t eat candy, but now and then I love a Hershey Bar at the counter when checking out.

Me too! That Hershey's bar with almonds is *always* calling my name. Most times I refuse to look 😄.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Me too! That Hershey's bar with almonds is *always* calling my name. Most times I refuse to look 😄.

I don’t care for any other expensive fancy chocolate.  A Hershey bar is the best.  Godiva, etc. cannot compare.  I do like the bars with the fruit in them like raspberry tho.  Lindor or something?  I forgot.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The DMV.  When my mother died this summer, I had to retitle my parents' vehicles, and I added my name as survivor (I am executor and also have power of attorney for my father, who has dementia).  I also paid the insurance.  I have proof.  Assholes at the DMV sent both my father and me letters telling us that they can't find proof of insurance, and if I don't provide it within the next week, we'll be suspended from driving and owning cars, and all sorts of mean, nasty things.  The letter says I can provide the proof in the DMV's online portal.  So I go there and enter the requested information.  When I hit submit, I get a message that essentially says, oh, yeah, we've got that.  Then WHY SEND THE LETTERS, you dipshits?

I'm planning on calling them tomorrow just to verify, but dammit, I shouldn't have to.  All that should have been clear when I retitled the cars.

(No, my father doesn't drive anymore -- he hasn't in years -- but my siblings and I drive the one car, and we will get rid of the other one this month.)

I feel you. Since my mom died and I've had to take care of my dad, the hoops you have to jump through and the red tape is just astounding. 

• Hugs 3
  • Love 3

We made a mutual agreement among my siblings and myself to forgo Christmas presents.  I only give them to my two great nephews and my great niece who are all grade school age.  I ask their mom what they would like and mail it to them in a gift bag from Amazon or where ever.  I don't mind doing that because kids love presents and are easy to please.

Other than that we don't really do the Christmas present thing anymore.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I have a small circle of girlfriends and we exchange gifts every year, but nothing extravagant (this year I got them all advent calendars). My big family stopped doing gifts for the adults years ago because it was too much, but we'll still do gifts for the little kids because there's only a few and they have fun with it. My immediate family stopped gifts a while back, too, but we give each other scratch off lotto cards for fun. My parents are older and not in the greatest health, so I try to enjoy the time together since I know it's numbered.

• Applause 2
  • Love 2