Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

There isn't really anything I can walk to around here.  The closest Kroger is about a mile, so about 20 minutes to get there, but it's down a very long, steep hill.  It would probably take me an hour to get back home coming up that very long, steep hill.  With no sidewalks.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Ah, in NYC that's called a bodega (or a deli).  In other locations known as a convenience store. 

It isn't either of those. It's hard to explain the type of CA "liquor store" I'm thinking of to someone who has never been to one.
We used to say
You buy your liquor at the grocery store
You buy your snacks at the liquor store
You buy your smokes at the drug store (or liquor store)
You buy your drugs from the guy on the corner

32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

There isn't really anything I can walk to around here.  The closest Kroger is about a mile, so about 20 minutes to get there, but it's down a very long, steep hill.  It would probably take me an hour to get back home coming up that very long, steep hill.  With no sidewalks.

I don't 'do hills'. A CA friendquaintenance of mine would call an uber to go home from the bar. He lived less than a mile a away but there was a pretty annoying hill.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

What's with physically fit guys who think it's cool to wear nude or near-nude tight t-shirts?  Saw a guy like that at a mall I frequent.  There's an Equinox there and he must be a regular, because, well, he looks like that sort.  But nude?  He looked like he wasn't wearing a shirt from a distance, and we know that it's no shirt, no shoes, no service!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

What's with physically fit guys who think it's cool to wear nude or near-nude tight t-shirts?  Saw a guy like that at a mall I frequent.  There's an Equinox there and he must be a regular, because, well, he looks like that sort.  But nude?  He looked like he wasn't wearing a shirt from a distance, and we know that it's no shirt, no shoes, no service!

Trying to get dates? Giving the rest of us a show?

I rather enjoy seeing fit guys running around shirtless 🥵🤣

• LOL 1
22 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Trying to get dates? Giving the rest of us a show?

I rather enjoy seeing fit guys running around shirtless 🥵🤣

True, maybe he was trying to get picked up by nice, older ladies of means (not me)….there are many of them at that mall. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Campari tomatoes

Love them too. I make homemade spaghetti sauce out of them. They also seem to last better than most other kinds. The bonus is I can get them at Harris teeter (10 minutes only due to traffic as it’s 4 miles as the crow flies) and Costco (20-30 minutes-again due to the heavy traffic and construction on the route). 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Back to pet peeves . . .

My pet peeve is I'm most comfortable on my side/stomach, but sleeping on your back is best. I've bought different pillows which help at first, but I always seem to end up on my side or tummy. Some people suggest to surround yourself with pillows, but I end up pushing them off the bed onto the floor in my sleep. 

I can't sleep in one position all night.  I fall asleep on my back, because I fall asleep watching TV or reading.  But over the course of a night - which I do not come close to sleeping straight through - I move to one side, the other side, my stomach, my back.  My cat must be attached to me at all times, so she moves with me.  She's lucky she's feline rather than human; I do not cuddle sleep with people (I don't even like another person being in the bed when it's time for sleep, but if I let one stay, for the love of all that is good, don't touch me, and don't sleep close enough to subject me to your hot nostril air), but I will totally spoon a cat.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, isalicat said:

An Aldi opened locally hereabouts three years ago and I went in twice. The produce was cheap and truly awful, all the meat was cheap and looked like pure gristle, and the store was freezing cold (this was not winter!). Plus they had several aisles full of the most gross non-food garbage products I have ever seen. Everything in the store looked like it had been rejected from some other store and shipped over...:(

That's truly shocking and I'm sorry to hear that because near me Aldi's produce is excellent and rivals that of the best markets in the area.  I've bought their chuck roast and ground turkey meat and found it to be of excellent quality.  And that's true of all the Aldi's in the general area (and I've been to many of them).

15 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Aldi owns Trader Joes.

Well, the answer to that is a very clear "yes and no".  They have a complicated relationship, which is better explained in this article from the Aldi Reviewer site (complete with flow chart!), one of my favorites for all types of Aldi information:

https://www.aldireviewer.com/aldi-and-trader-joes-are-they-the-same-company/

14 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Well, in NYC we don't buy too much in any one trip--otherwise we go to delivery.  Or we get out the old-lady shopping cart. 

LOL, I inherited my parents' old lady shopping carts!  They're an oddity in CT.

And bodegas, ah yes, the things I miss....

My best friend from NYC, who I've known now for 48 years, is visiting with me this week and I am seeing CT through her eyes as she marvels at some of the things (and people) we have that she doesn't and vice versa.  It's reminding me that where I'm concerned, you can take the girl out of the City but you can't take the City out of the girl!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I recently visited my cousin, who moved to a suburban high rise with long hallways. Everyone keeps an old lady shopping cart in the underground garage so they can haul the groceries from their cars up to their apartments! But since they don’t want them to take up space in their apartments they take them right back to the garage for the next trip. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
9 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I recently visited my cousin, who moved to a suburban high rise with long hallways. Everyone keeps an old lady shopping cart in the underground garage so they can haul the groceries from their cars up to their apartments! But since they don’t want them to take up space in their apartments they take them right back to the garage for the next trip. 

That reminds me of when I was a kid and people kept baby carriages and shopping carts under the stairs in their apartment buildings for the same reason.  But that was back when you didn't need to chain everything up or risk having it stolen.  Which to bring it back on topic is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.  I moved to CT to get away from having to do stuff like that but suddenly (like everywhere else) we've had an increase in crime and I'm finding myself increasingly vigilant about my belongings in public and even at home.  Not that I ever became lackadaisical about that stuff because as my father used to call us, "We're paranoid New Yorkers".  People around this are of CT aren't used to being like that and are sitting ducks for all kinds of crime.  They go into mini marts leaving their engines running and people have stolen their cars, or they've fallen for scams where people trick women into thinking their tire is flat so they can distract them and steal their purse when they get out to look.  My husband told me that this kind of stuff would never happen to me!  He's right.  I don't even open the door for ANYONE.  I caught him doing that when a contractor wanted to give out his card to get business a few weeks ago.  I was shocked.  Again, you can't take the New Yorker out of the girl!

• Like 2

Around here (the 'burbs of DC), we get a lot of salesmen for roofing, siding, etc companies. Their spiel is, "Hi! We're working on a house nearby & wondered if you'd like to have your roof, siding, (etc), checked". I don't even have to look through the peep hole as they have a stupid way of knocking: "shave & a haircut..." (heh...they don't even finish their knock with the 'two bits'). There are signs all over our community saying No Solicitation. They just ignore the signs.  Also: women who put their purses on the child seat of a cart at the supermarket.  Then they walk away to look at stuff. I stay near the cart until they return & tell them my sister had her wallet stolen this way. (Actually, she hadn't even walked away from her cart--just had her back to the cart as she was checking out goods on the shelf). A neighbor had her leather gloves stolen as they were lying on that seat. She only had her back turned for a minute as she was looking at produce. You think the supermarket is such a good place... not a potential crime scene 👀.

• Like 2
On 8/10/2022 at 10:15 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Every November I send a check to Costco for membership fees. But I never think to go there, & it's less than 10 minutes away.

Why would you pay to keep a current Costco membership if you're not going to go there? 

I'm thinking I have a very different relationship to money than most people.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Also: women who put their purses on the child seat of a cart at the supermarket.  Then they walk away to look at stuff. I stay near the cart until they return & tell them my sister had her wallet stolen this way. (

I used to do that when I carried a purse. I just knotted the strap around the handle of the cart. One day this old man comes up to me and goes "You're going to get your purse stolen." I said "Go ahead and grab it." He yanked it and it just stayed where I put it. He then says in a nasty tone "Hmmf, you're smarter than you look." and shuffled off.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 10
8 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Why would you pay to keep a current Costco membership if you're not going to go there? 

My husband occasionally gets gas there and/or picks up a few things. I keep thinking I'm going to go there but the parking lot is always jammed full (even at 10 AM) now that they also sell gas, & there's always a line-up of cars.

• Love 3

A lady left her purse in a cart in tj and wondered off, yep it got stolen. 

Lady was shopping in a clothing store left her big wallet in the purse in the cart, it got stolen. She was screaming/crying because it had $3,000 plus all her documents. Empty wallet was found between the shoe boxes. The lady was inconsolable! I was like you should have put that wallet in a Fanny pack or a bra. Her screaming I thought her kid got kidnapped or something.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Lady was shopping in a clothing store left her big wallet in the purse in the cart, it got stolen. She was screaming/crying because it had $3,000 plus all her documents. Empty wallet was found between the shoe boxes. The lady was inconsolable! I was like you should have put that wallet in a Fanny pack or a bra. Her screaming I thought her kid got kidnapped or something.

If I ever carried cash like that, you can be sure it would be attached to my body!  I can't imagine being that casual about that much cash.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

What an idiot. I haven't carried cash in 20 years.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, rcc said:

No purse while shopping. Wallet in pocket. Been doing that for years.

Same. Wallet in right back pocket, phone in left, keys in front pocket. I only carried a purse when my son was little and when I was working.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, rcc said:

No purse while shopping. Wallet in pocket. Been doing that for years.

I have a mens wallet and get asked why do you have a mens wallet? Lol cuz it has many sections. Apparently women carrying a wallet is weird where I live.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
Just now, oliviabenson said:

I have a mens wallet and get asked why do you have a mens wallet? Lol cuz it has many sections. Apparently women carrying a wallet is weird where I live.

I have a small Buxton women's change purse wallet. Leather is well worn but fits nicely in side pocket.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, oliviabenson said:

I have an Aluma wallet. Nobody has ever said anything about it.

4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm thinking I have a very different relationship to money than most people.

You can shop Costco online too, same membership benefits. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, GaT said:

You can shop Costco online too, same membership benefits. 

But the prices for items online is more than the in-store prices. I learned that when I ordered the Kirkland vitamins for my parents and they forgot to ship one bottle. As time was short, I went to the store to get it, and discovered the online price was $2 more!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

I have a crossbody bag with metal strips sewn into the strap, and I keep it in front of me.  I don't take it off, and I dare anyone to try to cut it off.  I do carry cash, but that is mostly for small purchases.  I use a grocery store gift card for my grocery budget -- I load a new one every month since the store made theirs so they can't be reloaded.  And I never ever leave a purse or wallet in a grocery cart.  I have known too many people who've lost purses or wallets that way.

If I'm traveling, I have a slightly larger crossbody day bag, but I still keep it in front of me. 

Peeve of the day:  houseflies.  One followed me in this afternoon, and it keeps buzzing around my head.  I haven't seen it land anywhere, but I have my flyswatter at the ready if it ever does!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

While I do put my bag/purse in the kid seat of the cart, I NEVER leave it unattended. But I do that when I’m buying huge items. When I’m buying produce, my purse is in front at my waist, between the cart and my body, and the produce goes in the seat.

• Like 1
On 8/10/2022 at 3:40 AM, Browncoat said:

I don’t have a Wegman’s near me, either.  Or a Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s for that matter.

Same here! No Wegman's, Whole Foods, or Trader Joe's anywhere near here or anywhere in Montana for that matter. A few Trader Joe's things are available on Amazon, though sadly nothing fresh or refrigerated. 

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But the prices for items online is more than the in-store prices. I learned that when I ordered the Kirkland vitamins for my parents and they forgot to ship one bottle. As time was short, I went to the store to get it, and discovered the online price was $2 more!

That's because they include shipping in their online prices.

On the topic of things being stolen. someone once lifted my bag of reusable bags. I was really upset because one of those bags was from a a championship season of one of my favorite teams. I literally circled the store and found the bags not just in a random cart like they grabbed the wrong cart, but inside their bags. I took ALL my bags out of their bag and continued my shopping. What they didn't notice was my last name written in all the bags. A must-do when you attend parties and everyone brings their goodies in the same TJs bag.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can't sleep in one position all night.  I fall asleep on my back, because I fall asleep watching TV or reading.  But over the course of a night - which I do not come close to sleeping straight through - I move to one side, the other side, my stomach, my back.  My cat must be attached to me at all times, so she moves with me.  She's lucky she's feline rather than human; I do not cuddle sleep with people (I don't even like another person being in the bed when it's time for sleep, but if I let one stay, for the love of all that is good, don't touch me, and don't sleep close enough to subject me to your hot nostril air), but I will totally spoon a cat.

I agree with pretty much all of that, but in my universe, Cat Spoons You.  Then looks at you disapprovingly if you feel the need to turn over during the night.

9 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

My son and gf/dil lived in a mid-rise apartment building in Baltimore for several years, and the building itself had one or two grocery carts for the use of the residents. No need to acquire their own Old Lady Cart.  Maybe they didn't have a lot of amenities but that was one!

And now that I think of it, my mom had one of those Old Lady Carts when I was young - not like a grocery store cart, but folding, with about the same profile as a large wheeled carry-on bag. We weren't in a big city but there was a small grocery store in walking distance.  Back to peeves - I wish I knew what happened to that!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Late people.

I set up a project meeting for tonight as a requirement for my class. I was supposed to review another classmate’s project and then we were required to have Zoom meetings for me to talk about my review. My classmate told me 6 pm my time (I’m on the East Coast, he’s two hours behind me) was fine. I sent him the Zoom link and confirmed the time and he has yet to show up or email me explaining that he’s running late/got sick/had technical difficulties/whatever. And it’s just the rudeness to not even send a reply (unless you got hit by a bus or something) that’s peeving me. If he wasn’t going to show up I would’ve planned to cook dinner after work instead of eating leftovers because I have a meeting with the person reviewing my project tonight too.

Dude. If I took over an hour last night to look at your crappy project with bad writing, you can show up on Zoom for half an hour. Or email explaining that you can’t make it or something else went wrong. 

I just have very little patience for lateness in general. 10-15 minutes every once in a while if you’re a friend or family member and something happened? Sure. We all have stuff come up. Totally no showing to a meeting when we’re supposed to all be professional adults? No. I’m sorry. That’s unacceptable. And it seems like the chronically late people I do know (my mom loves putting stuff off to the last minute sometimes) are so like…relaxed about it and don’t even care. It’s always just like it doesn’t matter to them and they’re so special or they just have to do this one last thing. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I agree with pretty much all of that, but in my universe, Cat Spoons You.  Then looks at you disapprovingly if you feel the need to turn over during the night.

My son and gf/dil lived in a mid-rise apartment building in Baltimore for several years, and the building itself had one or two grocery carts for the use of the residents. No need to acquire their own Old Lady Cart.  Maybe they didn't have a lot of amenities but that was one!

And now that I think of it, my mom had one of those Old Lady Carts when I was young - not like a grocery store cart, but folding, with about the same profile as a large wheeled carry-on bag. We weren't in a big city but there was a small grocery store in walking distance.  Back to peeves - I wish I knew what happened to that!

In my building it would get stolen. The thief even clipped and took the lock! Awful people.

• Sad 3
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

This is me without the added fur baby.

I can’t recall where I read it, but I thought sleeping on your back wasn’t a good thing? The only time I slept that way was after my mastectomies and reconstruction surgery, as I had those tubes that drained the blood into those bottles I had to empty each morning. Actually, I think I pretty much slept upright.

• Hugs 2

I just thought it was important to clarify: when I speak of the old lady shopping cart, this is the type I mean.  It's a folding cart.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Deluxe-Utility-Extra-Large/dp/B001DZ4QTC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2VZ2TQVUB5OY8&keywords=shopping+cart&qid=1660329741&sprefix=shopping+cart%2Caps%2C61&sr=8-6

When I was a kid, the store shopping carts had hooks on them for you to hang your own cart while you wheeled around the store.  I completely forgot about this until just now.  I haven't seen this in decades. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I just thought it was important to clarify: when I speak of the old lady shopping cart, this is the type I mean.  It's a folding cart.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Deluxe-Utility-Extra-Large/dp/B001DZ4QTC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2VZ2TQVUB5OY8&keywords=shopping+cart&qid=1660329741&sprefix=shopping+cart%2Caps%2C61&sr=8-6

When I was a kid, the store shopping carts had hooks on them for you to hang your own cart while you wheeled around the store.  I completely forgot about this until just now.  I haven't seen this in decades. 

I completely forgot about that until you just mentioned it!

One of the shopping carts I inherited from my parents was at least 50 years old.  It was the old fashioned kind, shiny silver metal and all.  It looked kind of like this one on Ebay.  The other one looked like the one you posted above, but in red.

• Love 1

Two pet peeves this morning.

1. Squirrels eating my tomatoes, both ripe and green.

2. Pet sitters who say they administer medication but can't unless it's a single pill in a pill pocket.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Two pet peeves this morning.

1. Squirrels eating my tomatoes, both ripe and green.

2. Pet sitters who say they administer medication but can't unless it's a single pill in a pill pocket.

1. Rats with fluffy tails eating humans' intended bounty is no good. Remember that rodents are social animals and NOT loners so those who think capturing ONE rodent then taking it far away from one's domain will solve the problem aren't factoring in said rodent's many friends and relations remaining in the area (even if the solitary rodent they've transported is unable to make the journey back to reunite with their loved ones).

2. Too bad that there doesn't seem to a standard to vet pet sitters beyond them being able to feed and not lose or kill one's pets.

• Love 2

Oh, yes, I am familiar with squirrels. They have a lovely apartment in my neighbor's shed. But the last time I grew tomatoes, they weren't a problem. The catbirds were the problem then--they liked to peck one perfect round hole in every ripe tomato. I've put up chicken wire and placed a mint plant amongst the tomato plants, and I'll pick the fruit as soon as it turns even slightly orange.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, ABay said:

Oh, yes, I am familiar with squirrels. They have a lovely apartment in my neighbor's shed. But the last time I grew tomatoes, they weren't a problem. The catbirds were the problem then--they liked to peck one perfect round hole in every ripe tomato. I've put up chicken wire and placed a mint plant amongst the tomato plants, and I'll pick the fruit as soon as it turns even slightly orange.

We never used to have rabbits. In the last few years, we've been inundated with them. The little bastards eat EVERYTHING! We hates the rabbitses, Precious.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2