Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

She did apologize about the mix up. Quite sincerely.  She kept saying how bad she felt.  But, the thing is we've had issues about the lateness before, and of course, we both think we're right.  So, she just took the opportunity to once again complain about how I get irritated when she's late.  

Ok good. If being late is an issue with her it’s likely not to change nor is a personal affront.  They’ll show up late to first day on the job or walk in park with friend. Depending on the outing I’ll sit at a bar and socialize while waiting or purposely delay my arrival.  I’m with you and run on time.  I am glad she apologized. 

I’m having dental surgery on Tuesday, and have to take antibiotics prior to and after the surgery. Unfortunately I am sensitive to antibiotics and very allergic to penicillin. According to the dentist and pharmacist, a minority of people who are allergic to penicillin will also have a reaction to this antibiotic as well. So I have to do a test run on the antibiotics today. The good news - no anaphylactic shock. The bad news - I’m starting to feel nauseated, which is my usual reaction to antibiotics. Ugh! This week is going to be the opposite of fun.

• Love 7

I know how you feel, @MargeGunderson.  Antibiotics give me nausea, and sometimes vomiting & diarrhea (I have to take the other stuff, too, because I once had a very mild reaction to Augmentin).  I hadn't been to a doc in more than a decade, then had to take Cipro for 7 days - I'd forgotten how awful it was.  The nausea is worse than the dental surgery!

• Love 3

After nausea with a antibiotic a few years ago I started asking for prescription anti-nausea meds. There's one called Zolfran that doesn't make people sleepy after taking it like a lot of others do. The generic form of it is called Ondansetron. I always ask for the version you can put under your tongue for faster ingestion. Other anti nausea meds put me out like a light except for that red liquid one that's OTC. My co-pay for meds is cheaper than a bottle of that stuff though.

P.S. I know I used the word meds multiple times. I hate when I do that with words.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’m having dental surgery on Tuesday, and have to take antibiotics prior to and after the surgery. Unfortunately I am sensitive to antibiotics and very allergic to penicillin. According to the dentist and pharmacist, a minority of people who are allergic to penicillin will also have a reaction to this antibiotic as well. So I have to do a test run on the antibiotics today. The good news - no anaphylactic shock. The bad news - I’m starting to feel nauseated, which is my usual reaction to antibiotics. Ugh! This week is going to be the opposite of fun.

I get it.  There are very few antibiotics I can take that don't make me puke or give me terrible abdominal cramps.    Worse than that, I got a terrible rash (purple bruises all over my les)  from ibuprofen and naproxen.   And prednisone make me crazy-anxious and irritable.   I ended up having spine surgery because any medication therapy caused more problems than they helped.

• Love 1
On 11/23/2018 at 12:11 AM, DeLurker said:

I had seen my favorite Thanksgiving movie, Home for the Holidays, was a available on On Demand.  I was thrilled, but didn’t watch it cause it was too soon.

Today it is no longer available for free to me.  Now it is on a premium channel I don’t get.

Poopy.

Self peeve.

My daughter was looking for a movie to watch last night and found a brand new copy of Home for the Holidays mixed in.  I forgot that I had bought it at some point earlier this year from one of the cheapo bins at Best Buy.  Damn it!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Self peeve.

My daughter was looking for a movie to watch last night and found a brand new copy of Home for the Holidays mixed in.  I forgot that I had bought it at some point earlier this year from one of the cheapo bins at Best Buy.  Damn it!

I love that movie. We used to always put it on when we got home from another crazy holiday with my family.

• Love 1

Why do tea lattes at Starbucks have to default to several pumps of sweetener?  Coffee drinks don't do that!  Did you know that a matcha latte has three pumps by default (according to my mobile order app)?  This is a tall.  Gross.  Thank goodness I can reduce it to zero.  But still.  

• Love 1

My only quibble with what's on the mug has to do with the affect/effect split. "Affect" can be used correctly as a noun: Person A has a flat affect. And "effect" can be used correctly as a verb: The legislature effected the change in licensing requirements for massage therapists. I agree, however, that it's annoying as fuck when people consistently use those words incorrectly. At one point, I made up a sign and posted it in a room where some of my colleagues worked; I no longer remember exactly what was on my sign, but it used Star Trek references to illustrate the correct uses of both words. 

ETA: This was not my original example, but it's close enough:
Leonard Nimoy originally played the character of Mr. Spock as an alien, but with fairly human sensibilities. Very early in the series, though, he effected a change in the character. Nimoy began portraying Mr. Spock with a very flat affect. The effect of this change was to make the character more intriguing. The shift in character, though, affected Nimoy in his interactions with other cast members, as he tried to stay in character on set and so seemed less friendly than previously.

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm certain I fuck up affect and effect all the fucking time.

I went to use one of those words earlier and remembered the mug and confusion ensued. I just changed the whole wording of the sentence. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, PRgal said:

Why do tea lattes at Starbucks have to default to several pumps of sweetener?  Coffee drinks don't do that!  Did you know that a matcha latte has three pumps by default (according to my mobile order app)?  This is a tall.  Gross.  Thank goodness I can reduce it to zero.  But still.  

Coffee drinks do too.  I was so happy when a kind barista told me I could ask them to adjust the number of pumps in my mocha because the standard version is too sweet.  So if you hear someone ordering a grande 2 pump mocha that might be me (the norm is 4 for a grande).

Now if I want to try a new drink, I usually just ask for 1/2 the pumps of whatever.  I don’t often try a new drink though because I am a creature of habit.  So I probably ordered something new 3x in the last decade.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

Coffee drinks do too.  I was so happy when a kind barista told me I could ask them to adjust the number of pumps in my mocha because the standard version is too sweet.  So if you hear someone ordering a grande 2 pump mocha that might be me (the norm is 4 for a grande).

Now if I want to try a new drink, I usually just ask for 1/2 the pumps of whatever.  I don’t often try a new drink though because I am a creature of habit.  So I probably ordered something new 3x in the last decade.

Special coffee drinks do.  A latte or flat white (for example) is espresso and whatever milk you want.  No syrup.  That's why I don't get why a matcha latte isn't just matcha powder and milk.  

I had dental surgery this morning. It went well, the bone loss isn’t as bad as it looked and they didn’t have to remove the tooth (it was a weird case of a root fracture). However, the dentist screwed up the pain prescription so I have NO PAINKILLERS. What I do have is a lot of pain and swelling. There is no way that ibuprofen is going to cut it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I had dental surgery this morning. It went well, the bone loss isn’t as bad as it looked and they didn’t have to remove the tooth (it was a weird case of a root fracture). However, the dentist screwed up the pain prescription so I have NO PAINKILLERS. What I do have is a lot of pain and swelling. There is no way that ibuprofen is going to cut it.

I'd be on the phone demanding that he fix it - pronto!  No way will OTC meds cut it.

Can you chug a vat of booze and pass out?  ;-)

• Love 8

So I don’t ‘get’ Arianna Grande: I hate her Lolita-esque hooker-baby style and big fake ponytail, I hate her breathy mush-mouthed squawk singing, I hate her generic pop drivel, I just am NOT a fan. Whatever, I’m obviously not her intended audience anyway.

Yet I heard her latest pop drivel online the other day(“Thank You, Next”) and didn’t automatically hate it like all her other cutesy singles. Although there’s one stupidly clunky line in that song that’s especially ridiculous: “I’m so fucking glad that you’re my ex.”

And that bugs me about a lot of radio-driven drivel: why do cheesy pop stars insist on adding f-words to their singles?

I don’t mind swearing in hip-hop and Rock, but what’s the purpose of adding a clunky curse word like that to such an otherwise harmless single for a pop princess with middle schoolers who listen to her cheesy music? Is adding the f-bomb in a song supposed to make Arianna Grande seem more edgy and adult?? Because it’s going to get edited out on the radio anyway, so why even bother?! She could’ve just as easily added “I’m so damned glad that you’re my ex” and it would’ve sounded just as good and not as weirdly edited/cut on the radio version.

I guess I’m still butthurt that Britney actually got slack for her harmless little “It’s Britney, bitch” line back in ‘07, yet doughnut-licking whoredoll AG gets no hate.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Can you chug a vat of booze and pass out?  ;-)

I like the way you think! 

It’s not so bad at the moment. I took a bunch of ibuprofen, put an ice pack on it, and fell asleep for a few hours.  Hopefully the RX will be at the drugstore in the morning.

• Love 6

My pet peeve is - WHY can't I go a day without spilling something on my shirt?  Why can't I go out for a meal and NOT find out when I get home, that there's a little spot of 'something' on my shirt?  Why can't I have a snack at my desk without a crumb that leaves a streak, or a drop of coffee, of a drip of sauce falling on my clothes?  and why is it that when I try to dab it out right away, it just spreads and gets worse?  

• Love 13
On 12/10/2018 at 5:26 PM, peacheslatour said:

Want!

This, along with others, available on Amazon. Just type in "grammar mugs" and you get a whole bunch. There's one without the F-bombs one, but I'm getting the F-bomb one because it's not a once in a blue moon of people typing "your" when they FUCKING mean "you're" and the "could ofs" and "would ofs" drive me BATSHIT CRAZY. I only wish they sold him in sets!

• Love 3

So here's a pet peeve on my daughter's behalf.  She has been a vegetarian for about a year now.  She loves Starbucks, but hates that the only two 'vegetarian' breakfast items with egg are egg white.  She wants to eat whole eggs (she's vegetarian, not vegan), so she can get the protein, but Starbucks has no breakfast sandwich or egg bite that has a whole egg but without meat.  She also wishes the veggie omelet sandwiches at DD had an option with a whole egg as well, but she can at least get a whole egg with cheese in a sandwich there.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

So here's a pet peeve on my daughter's behalf.  She has been a vegetarian for about a year now.  She loves Starbucks, but hates that the only two 'vegetarian' breakfast items with egg are egg white.  She wants to eat whole eggs (she's vegetarian, not vegan), so she can get the protein, but Starbucks has no breakfast sandwich or egg bite that has a whole egg but without meat.  She also wishes the veggie omelet sandwiches at DD had an option with a whole egg as well, but she can at least get a whole egg with cheese in a sandwich there.

Ha! I'm not vegetarian, but I agree.  They need ONE other meatless egg bite!  Heck, perhaps replace the chicken chorizo "tortilla."  Notice I have "tortilla" in quotation marks.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

On both Starbucks and Panera websites, you can customize any sandwich if you order online, so you can probably do the same at the store.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

On both Starbucks and Panera websites, you can customize any sandwich if you order online, so you can probably do the same at the store.

OMG, I never knew that!  I've always seen them in the store pull the sandwich out of some sort of wrapping and put it in the oven to heat.  I never thought that they could just open the sandwich to remove the meat before heating it up (which would hopefully prevent it from tasting like meat too).  I'll tell my daughter. Thank you!!!

• Love 1

Peeve: restaurants that nickel and dime you. I dig poke places and the one by my office is wonderful, adding extra of specific toppings, including a portion of each 'crunch' topping all at no extra cost. The place by my house will argue with you if you ask for extra anything and only includes one portion of one crunch. All extra crunch is 25cents, each. If you aren't familiar with crunch toppings it's usually things like crunchy garlic, fried onions (think French's), sesame seeds, from a shaker bottle. We're talking maybe 1/8th of a tsp for most of them.

Today I was chatting with the owner of the place by my office and telling him how much I enjoy his place, the food, the sauces, and the inclusion of every crunch type for one price. I appreciate that they don't charge for extra toppings but I'd be fully prepared to pay a little more for the additional speciality toppings (kimchi, pickled radish, etc...) because I do ask them to pile it on.

Just charge me one price that includes all the options then charge me extra for extra, if needed.

• Love 1

My pet peeve, that I think most people share, is automated phone systems.   

It always seems to me, that I listen to all the available options, and none of them apply to the specific issue I need.  Systems used to be set up so you can just press '0'  and get a person, but they've changed that.  I find myself getting stuck in a loop, then hanging up and starting over.   Other times, I end up yelling "REPRESENTATIVE"  or "CUSTOMER SERVICE"  into the phone, which I know is useless, but I just can't stop. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Peeve: restaurants that nickel and dime you. I dig poke places and the one by my office is wonderful, adding extra of specific toppings, including a portion of each 'crunch' topping all at no extra cost.

Add to that - pizza places charging $2 or more to put onions on a pizza, when the actual amount of onion they add is equivalent to a slice, separated into rings -  so about 10 cents worth.  other ingredients, I understand, because they do cost extra and there is some time involved in preparing.  But onions are cheap and one large onion is going to be sliced up for about 6 pizzas.  

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Add to that - pizza places charging $2 or more to put onions on a pizza, when the actual amount of onion they add is equivalent to a slice, separated into rings -  so about 10 cents worth.  other ingredients, I understand, because they do cost extra and there is some time involved in preparing.  But onions are cheap and one large onion is going to be sliced up for about 6 pizzas.  

I've given up on pizza delivery, for the most part. Now I buy frozen pizza (this is my new favorite brand https://www.outsiderspizza.com/products/detroit-style-pizza/genoa-salami-brick-cheese.html ) and add my own toppings (typically mushrooms, onions and olives) before tossing it in the oven.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

The app, too.  But you can't customize those egg bites from Starbucks.  

48 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I've given up on pizza delivery, for the most part. Now I buy frozen pizza

I recently tried frozen pizza for the first time in my 67 years! I always assumed it was awful but it was on sale and I decided to try it. It's not bad at all! I've experimented and it turns out the original thick crust brand I got on sale is the one I like best, but I've totally cancelled Pizza Hut delivery. I get a frozen pepperoni and add onions and black olives, which is what I always order. About a third of the price, too.

After I got the first one home I looked at it, looked at my rectangular cookie sheet, and didn't know how I was going to bake it. Finally dug out a round griddle pan that's oven safe and fit perfectly. I'm in business!

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I recently tried frozen pizza for the first time in my 67 years! I always assumed it was awful but it was on sale and I decided to try it. It's not bad at all! I've experimented and it turns out the original thick crust brand I got on sale is the one I like best, but I've totally cancelled Pizza Hut delivery. I get a frozen pepperoni and add onions and black olives, which is what I always order. About a third of the price, too.

After I got the first one home I looked at it, looked at my rectangular cookie sheet, and didn't know how I was going to bake it. Finally dug out a round griddle pan that's oven safe and fit perfectly. I'm in business!

I like buying frozen crust and then make my own from that.  I've tried those (predominantly) cauliflower crusts and they aren't too bad.  I still order pizza from pizza places - just not the old(er) school joints like Domino's.  I like using Foodora and Skip the Dishes (we don't' have Grub Hub in Canada) since UberEats overcharges delivery.  

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I always assumed it was awful but it was on sale and I decided to try it. It's not bad at all!

It used to be terrible! Improvements have come in the last 5 or so years (IMHO). California Pizza Kitchen makes a great pizza. The Outsider Pizza Co I linked to is my new favorite. Between CPK, Outsiders and the occasional Digiorno (which has gotten much better) you can't really go wrong.

49 minutes ago, 2727 said:

You can cook them straight on the oven rack. I always put a cookie sheet on a rack below it, just in case though.

• Love 4

I'm lucky enough to have several great pizza joints and Italian restaurants nearby that deliver, so I never have to deal with the chains when I want to order a pizza (Round Table is the only one I find remotely worth consuming; the rest are terrible).  And I make my own pizza sometimes, too.  But every once in a while when one of the grocery stores has a really good sale on CPK frozen pizzas, I'll pick one of those up (the thin & crispy crust kind, because I am a thin crust person, period, and I especially do not want a lot of frozen pizza crust) and shove it in the freezer for a lazy night. 

My pizza peeve is pizza places that do not offer a wheat crust option.  That - and a gluten-free offering - is such a standard thing by now in my area, that when a restaurant doesn't have it, I don't even bother trying them out (I'll eat a regular crust, I just prefer whole wheat), because there are so many other places that do for me to choose from.

Oh, and also how few places know how to do a proper thin crust.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm lucky enough to have several great pizza joints and Italian restaurants nearby that deliver, so I never have to deal with the chains when I want to order a pizza (Round Table is the only one I find remotely worth consuming; the rest are terrible).  And I make my own pizza sometimes, too.  But every once in a while when one of the grocery stores has a really good sale on CPK frozen pizzas, I'll pick one of those up (the thin & crispy crust kind, because I am a thin crust person, period, and I especially do not want a lot of frozen pizza crust) and shove it in the freezer for a lazy night. 

My pizza peeve is pizza places that do not offer a wheat crust option.  That - and a gluten-free offering - is such a standard thing by now in my area, that when a restaurant doesn't have it, I don't even bother trying them out (I'll eat a regular crust, I just prefer whole wheat), because there are so many other places that do for me to choose from.

Oh, and also how few places know how to do a proper thin crust.

Same here!  I've been asking a local chain to do whole wheat or ancient grain (spelt is my "thing" - and I can only think of two places around here who do it)...gluten-free can be just as bad - I mean, rice crusts usually mean WHITE RICE FLOUR!!!

17 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

My pet peeve is - WHY can't I go a day without spilling something on my shirt?  Why can't I go out for a meal and NOT find out when I get home, that there's a little spot of 'something' on my shirt?  Why can't I have a snack at my desk without a crumb that leaves a streak, or a drop of coffee, of a drip of sauce falling on my clothes?  and why is it that when I try to dab it out right away, it just spreads and gets worse?  

You are not alone, @tinkerbell!  I count it as a good meal when I'm not wearing some of it afterwards.

• Love 3

I'm in North Jersey; to say we have tons of pizzerias would be a massive understatement. But oh how I wish that even just one of them within delivery distance would make a vegan one! I know I can buy one frozen or make it myself or even go eat at place that does make it. But I want the whole "We don't feel like cooking dinner or leaving the house--fuck it, pizza and beer!" experience!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm in North Jersey; to say we have tons of pizzerias would be a massive understatement. But oh how I wish that even just one of them within delivery distance would make a vegan one! I know I can buy one frozen or make it myself or even go eat at place that does make it. But I want the whole "We don't feel like cooking dinner or leaving the house--fuck it, pizza and beer!" experience!

Have you tried third party delivery services which deliver for actual restaurants?  

• Love 1
20 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I share your pain, @tinkerbell: serial shirt ruiner here too. Although as a D-cupped lady, it’s only natural that my boobs have become stain-shelves and crumb-catchers over time. I sometimes joke that I store nice leftovers in my cleavage; it’s getting less funny as I get older and my shirts get spottier.

• Love 3

Genealogy enthusiasts, amirite?

Or maybe just the ones at 23 and Me. I had a DNA test done because I was curious about how my genes might be affecting some health conditions. It was mildly interesting to see my ancestry and verify that family ethnicity was correct and there was no parental involvement by the milkman. But mostly it was the health stuff.

What I wasn't expecting was other users to regularly contact me about my damned family tree. I know almost nothing of my history beyond grandparents and don't care. I write back and tell these folks that. They write back asking if I know about X or Y. perhaps? I do not. I believe I already informed them of that. A few have even come back for a third round.

Today one of three-timers contacted me again listing what she had discovered about my paternal line and offering to share her family tree through Ancestry. It would make her father so happy to have some answers!! Okay, I do vaguely recognize the names of some of those great aunts and uncles. But my point remains: I DON'T CARE.

I disabled my profile altogether.

(On a more positive note, I researched a gene variant that indicates I have a 60% chance of not responding well to a certain medication, which evidence I am going to politely present/shove in my doctor's face, you betcha.)

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Genealogy enthusiasts, amirite?

Yes. 

At least those who don't grasp that not everyone has the same interest in such things as they do, and thus maybe they can limit their babbling about it.  One of my closest friends is all about this stuff, and every time she finds something new I have to hear about it.  I don't care about my own ancestors, let alone someone else's.  Thankfully, she has come to keep it brief, so we've achieved that balance where I listen and comment, because it's something important to her and she's important to me, but she doesn't drone on about it because she knows I'm not interested.

My peeve for today is that my plan to spend this afternoon Christmas shopping was thwarted by the fact I spent this morning dealing with cramps that did not let up once for nearly six straight hours.  Heating pad, check.  Pills, check.  Okay, one more pill.  Not one minute of relief in all that time.  I haven't had them this bad in a long time.  Now they're mild (well, for me) and in waves, so I've plowed through some work, but taking the afternoon off to shop is out of the question now, and I can't tomorrow, either.  I can take Monday off entirely, and will (I do not shop on weekends, period, never mind during the holiday season), but it's going to be more crowded than I'd like.  I really wanted to get to half my stores this week, rather than having to do one full day of running around next week.  And I wish I had more things in mind than I do; it's going to be a lot of wandering in and out of stores waiting for something to jump out and say, "Mom/Dad/Best Friend (the only people I exchange gifts with) would dig me."  Oh, well - first world problem.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yes. 

At least those who don't grasp that not everyone has the same interest in such things as they do, and thus maybe they can limit their babbling about it.  One of my closest friends is all about this stuff, and every time she finds something new I have to hear about it.  I don't care about my own ancestors, let alone someone else's.  Thankfully, she has come to keep it brief, so we've achieved that balance where I listen and comment, because it's something important to her and she's important to me, but she doesn't drone on about it because she knows I'm not interested.

I once went out to dinner with a friend of mine and she talked for at least 15 minutes straight about how she was going off the pill. How it was affecting her period, making her moody, how it would improve her health, blah blah blah.  I would have killed for geneaology details.

• Love 4

When people do a genealogy profile, like 23 and Me, who exactly gets access to this information? I’d be scared that insurance companies would use this type of knowledge to discriminate about which person is going to get what treatment depending on whether or not it would be cost effective. 

• Love 14

I am really tired of people having birthday fundraisers on Facebook. That's great that they want these charities to get money (well, some of them), but I've never given any of these people presents for their birthdays. Why would I start now? We're not that close.

Also, it's tacky to ask people to give you something specific for your birthday, even if it's for a good cause, especially if they haven't asked what you want.

• Love 10