Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Kelly said:

Oh wow...did they "get" that they were being rude? ?

Did you go back to exchanging, and now you get thanked?

No! Their opinion was we were being horrible for stopping the gifts.  Unbelievable, huh? We didn't go back to gift giving, for which I'm glad. It was tiresome. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Random Noise said:

Sure, video gaming is just as valid as any other hobby or recreational activity.

On the other hand, I believe the general gist of the postings here relate to it becoming more of an obsession than a recreational activity. I played Zork during my college years but I only talked about it with other people that played it. I certainly didn't talk about it at the dinner table or go racing back to the computer after finishing my plate so I could chart my way through the passages, nor did I inundate people who didn't play it with continual talk about it.

Unfortunately, a lot of people do that with their chosen hobby, assuming that others will find it interesting. It's not just video games.

• Love 3
On 11/19/2017 at 3:59 PM, JTMacc99 said:

I typically cook everything, clean up most everything as I go along, get some help with the dishes. And back in the day when my in laws were ordinary weenies and not the world class douchebags that they became, and therefore I had some number of relatives in my house, I FAR preferred that everyone dispersed after dinner and left me alone to put away everything where it belongs. 

I guess I would reflect on a job well done feeding everyone. It was an honor and to be fair a lot of fun to cook the holiday meal. I never thought of it as work, so maybe that’s why I preferred that everyone got the hell out of my way when it was over. 

This is the first year in 15 that I am not  hosting for 20 people, give or take, and aside from not having the stress of cooking and cleaning, I am most relieved that I won't have to deal with my daughter's boyfriend's drunk mother hollering at people to get off their butts and help clean up. I never ask anyone to help, I didn't want her to help and I sure as hell did not appreciate her admonishing my family for not helping when I never asked for help! Let me just do it myself.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

This is the first year in 15 that I am not  hosting for 20 people, give or take, and aside from not having the stress of cooking and cleaning, I am most relieved that I won't have to deal with my daughter's boyfriend's drunk mother hollering at people to get off their butts and help clean up. I never ask anyone to help, I didn't want her to help and I sure as hell did not appreciate her admonishing my family for not helping when I never asked for help! Let me just do it myself.

Nothing like a drunk guest telling you how to run your household. Congratulations on not having to do it all. Enjoy the reprieve. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Nothing like a drunk guest telling you how to run your household. Congratulations on not having to do it all. Enjoy the reprieve. 

She is the worst, her son is the sweetest kid ever which is why I put up with her antics and even he will tell you she's a bitch when she's drunk!

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

At least with a drunk you can give them a couple more stiff drinks and flop them in another room somewhere while they sleep it off.

My brother did one of those IQ tests years ago and some fool told him he was a genius. He joined Mensa and often wears Mensa tee shirts so everyone around knows they're in the presence of greatness. At any kind of gathering he'll dispense unsolicited advice about anything he believes you happen to be screwing up in your life.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Random Noise said:

At least with a drunk you can give them a couple more stiff drinks and flop them in another room somewhere while they sleep it off.

My brother did one of those IQ tests years ago and some fool told him he was a genius. He joined Mensa and often wears Mensa tee shirts so everyone around knows they're in the presence of greatness. At any kind of gathering he'll dispense unsolicited advice about anything he believes you happen to be screwing up in your life.

My evil stepdaddy was a "genius".  So was his ever so precious son, formerly known as my half-brother.  Both were sacks of shit I could think circles around, even with half my non-genius IQ brain pickled with vodka.

It is perfectly OK to uninvite assholes (especially those related by blood) if you are doing the cooking.

[/unsolicited advice]  ;-D

ETA - JINX, @Mindthinkr - we posted at the same moment.  If your family are shitheads, it's about time to start some new traditions with decent people.  Rudeness was never tolerated at my table, even back when I was semi-socialized.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Good advice. That's the best thing about getting older. We get to make the decisions about who we want to spend our time with and not putting up with others crap! 

Old age = zero fucks to give.   ;~D

• Love 11

The boy and I are hiding out at home to take advantage of one of our rare simultaneous days off. And, devoted girlfriend that I am, I actually just braved the grocery store (which I hate even on non-food-centric holidays!) to get him turkey, mashed potatoes, and pigs-in-blankets...and I don't even eat those things! 

As far as peeves go, do those fake-phone-call makers really think I will believe that I have an outstanding, vague, and sinister "legal matter" that someone from an unnamed phone number can resolve for me?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Old age = zero fucks to give.   ;~D

I'm in my 40s and I feel that way.

30 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

The boy and I are hiding out at home to take advantage of one of our rare simultaneous days off. And, devoted girlfriend that I am, I actually just braved the grocery store (which I hate even on non-food-centric holidays!) to get him turkey, mashed potatoes, and pigs-in-blankets...and I don't even eat those things! 

As far as peeves go, do those fake-phone-call makers really think I will believe that I have an outstanding, vague, and sinister "legal matter" that someone from an unnamed phone number can resolve for me?

I got a robocall the other day (I didn't answer) telling me how they could help me with selling my home. Interesting, since I have rented an apartment for the past four years. Shiesters.

• Love 7

On a rare time that I answered, I let the guy go on his whole spiel about how he would fix  the oh-so-vicious Windows-based virus that had invaded my laptop. I even feigned concern and gratitude...until he asked to remotely access my “machine.” It was then that I yelled—probably too gleefully, “I have a Mac, you asshole!”

• Love 10
47 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I got a robocall the other day (I didn't answer) telling me how they could help me with selling my home. Interesting, since I have rented an apartment for the past four years. Shiesters.

So, sell your landlord's building.  Pure profit:)

2 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

On a rare time that I answered, I let the guy go on his whole spiel about how he would fix  the oh-so-vicious Windows-based virus that had invaded my laptop. I even feigned concern and gratitude...until he asked to remotely access my “machine.” It was then that I yelled—probably too gleefully, “I have a Mac, you asshole!”

I love it.  My dad will keep people on the phone for quite a while asking them questions or whatever, until he finally just says he's not interested and they yell at him.  I generally just don't answer the phone, or I hang up immediately.  One time I was reading a book and the phone rang, so I answered the phone by reading out loud.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Damn! and I once drove to the next town to get my (former) girlfriend's favorite pizza for her night shift at the hospital.

From someone I know who did this kind of job for extra money, they wear headsets, so I recorded the most god-awful ear piercing screeching sound I could find on the answering machine and played it back whenever I got one of those calls. They hang on for about 0.5 seconds and disconnect.

• Love 7

My father used to do that kind of stuff, with phone and door-to-door salesmen. He once let a siding salesman on the phone go on and on before asking the guy if they would install it on a tepee. (We lived in a heavily Native American populated area.)

• Love 7

Today, at work,  I had to rescue 28 hedgehogs from a pet hoarder. Someone called the media while I was inside the residence collecting the animals. I walk outside with the animals in their little crates and there are cameras surrounding me and blocking my Animal Control vehicle. I was informed that the story was going to air on the 10 o'clock news.

I hate being filmed, and the reporters didn't even ask if I wanted my face shown. I guess since I'm a public servant, they are allowed to film me without my permission. As I've posted in this and other threads, I have body issues and I never pose for or post photographs for public consumption. I am certainly not very happy about getting the Kim Kardashian treatment and being shown on the 10 o'clock local news.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 14

@AgentRXS, that's the point at which I would have told the reporters that their presence and cameras are very frightening to the rescued animals and a hazard to their health. I understand that the media has an obligation to report the news. But ambushing someone doing his/her job to rescue animals is not cool. They should have asked if you were okay with being filmed, etc.

My pet peeve for the evening, following a trip to the grocery store: There is apparently a universal law that no matter where in any parking lot I park, no matter how far away from other vehicles, no matter if I initially park with extremely small cars on either side of me, when I am done shopping and return to my car, huge damn pickup trucks or SUVs will be parked on both sides of me, making it virtually impossible to see if there is traffic coming down the aisle as I am backing out.  This is not helped by the fact that I have chronic upper back and neck pain that makes turning around to look behind me while backing up both difficult and painful. I feel like that character in one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, who always had rain following him overhead.  I swear every other car in the entire row can be a compact, yet the monster trucks will park next to me. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

Today, at work,  I had to rescue 28 hedgehogs from a pet hoarder. Someone called the media while I was inside the residence collecting the animals. I walk outside with the animals in their little crates and there are cameras surrounding me and blocking my Animal Control vehicle. I was informed that the story was going to air on the 10 o'clock news.

I hate being filmed and the reporters didn't even ask if I wanted my face shown. I guess since I'm a public servant, they are allowed to film me without my permission. As I've posted in this and other threads, I have body issues and I never pose for or post photographs for public consumption. I am certainly not very happy about getting the Kim Kardashian treatment and being shown on the 10 o'clock local news.

I was going to say..don't worry..nobody will pay any attention to you, because hedgehogs!:)

• Love 9
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

I hate being filmed, and the reporters didn't even ask if I wanted my face shown. I guess since I'm a public servant, they are allowed to film me without my permission. As I've posted in this and other threads, I have body issues and I never pose for or post photographs for public consumption. I am certainly not very happy about getting the Kim Kardashian treatment and being shown on the 10 o'clock local news.

I never made it on TV but appeared in the local newspaper on many occasions. Even made front page a few times.

If it was me, I would have yelled "fake news. fake news. fake news," as I walked by. They would have edited it all out and merely shown you driving away.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

My pet peeve for the evening, following a trip to the grocery store: There is apparently a universal law that no matter where in any parking lot I park, no matter how far away from other vehicles, no matter if I initially park with extremely small cars on either side of me, when I am done shopping and return to my car, huge damn pickup trucks or SUVs will be parked on both sides of me, making it virtually impossible to see if there is traffic coming down the aisle as I am backing out.  This is not helped by the fact that I have chronic upper back and neck pain that makes turning around to look behind me while backing up both difficult and painful. I feel like that character in one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, who always had rain following him overhead.  I swear every other car in the entire row can be a compact, yet the monster trucks will park next to me. 

I could have written this post.  Same thing- I had a spinal fusion, my neck does not turn as far as it once did.  I hate getting stuck next to a huge car and not able to see. I inch out slowly, and have to keep swiveling my head to make sure there's nobody behind me.  

An additional pet peeve is when parents don't hold their kids hands in a parking lot, and let the kids run ahead to the car.   I remember when my kids were little, the rule is do not RUN in parking lots.  And when they were small, they were attached to me, or to the shopping cart.  

Bottom line -  many years ago when I was backing out of my garage, my neighbor's toddler ran onto my driveway and I almost hit him.  (not my fault, his dad put him down and wasn't watching him, there's no way for a driver  to see a small child who is directly behind a minivan)  since then, I am extra careful, always  expecting a child to run behind my car. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Random Noise said:

I never made it on TV but appeared in the local newspaper on many occasions. Even made front page a few times.

If it was me, I would have yelled "fake news. fake news. fake news," as I walked by. They would have edited it all out and merely shown you driving away.

I heard that people on certain reality shows sing when they don't want a certain segment to be on tv.  The TV station can't broadcast someone singing unless they pay the royalties for the song.  I wonder if that holds true for news programming as well.  

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, backformore said:

I heard that people on certain reality shows sing when they don't want a certain segment to be on tv.  The TV station can't broadcast someone singing unless they pay the royalties for the song.  I wonder if that holds true for news programming as well.  

While in high school I had an interest in going into broadcasting. Fortunately, the local radio station was a 2 man operation and they gladly helped with training in exchange for doing menial tasks like bulk erasing reel-to-reel tapes and the old tape cartridges used for commercials. In the afternoon we would hang with the newspaper guys and catch up on the latest gab going on around town. That was in the 1970s and there weren't all that many restrictions as to what was covered as long as you could adequately document the story if questioned about it later.

Sometime in the 1990s the privacy laws started coming into effect and certain limitations were placed on reporting a story. For instance, anything involving a minor, so on TV you'll often see the faces of children blurred on TV and names won't be mentioned for their protection. Injured or deceased victims of motor vehicle accidents, or some violent crime will generally be blurred as well. One other example off the top of my head would be someone suspected but not actually charged with a crime. I'm sure there are more but that's a general idea of what can't be shown on TV or in newspapers.

Unfortunately for AgentRXS, as has happened to me on several occasions, the requirements of performing your job will put you in the middle of a news story from time to time and there's not much you can do about it. One lady I worked with for several years came up with a brilliant idea where she had the newspaper reporters carry her gear back to the ambulance. They were so busy toting equipment that they never had time to take photos.

I'm not sure what options would be available if a TV crew showed up. Maybe some good can come of it though and some donations might come in because of the story.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, backformore said:

I don't know why it wouldn't, but I don't think it holds true for lipreading a song, so they would probably just cut the audio.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, backformore said:

I could have written this post.  Same thing- I had a spinal fusion, my neck does not turn as far as it once did.  I hate getting stuck next to a huge car and not able to see. I inch out slowly, and have to keep swiveling my head to make sure there's nobody behind me.  

A doctor I know socially has commented more than once about seeing some pretty bad injuries from accidents that took place in parking lots, caused by drivers who use the same speed in a parking lot as they would on the street. Where I live, the closest Thai restaurant that I like is in a strip mall on one corner of a very busy intersection., so that  you can enter into the parking lot from Street A, and exit onto Street B. Because traffic often backs up for the red light at that intersection, idiot drivers feel entitled to take a short cut through the parking lot, which has quite a few speed bumps, at full driving speed. First off, asshats, stop treating the parking lot as if it's your own personal shortcut so that you don't have to spend a couple of extra minutes at the red light. Secondly, if you do feel compelled to drive through the parking lot, remember that it's a parking lot, not a speedway. On numerous occasions, I have been backing out of or pulling into a parking space and nearly hit by some asshat who is driving at street speeds, swerving around speed bumps, etc. Look, if saving one minute or possibly two minutes is that damn important to you, consider starting your drive to/from work, shopping, or whatever a few minutes earlier so you're not endangering numerous people in your quest to get from point A to point B. 

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

A doctor I know socially has commented more than once about seeing some pretty bad injuries from accidents that took place in parking lots, caused by drivers who use the same speed in a parking lot as they would on the street. Where I live, the closest Thai restaurant that I like is in a strip mall on one corner of a very busy intersection., so that  you can enter into the parking lot from Street A, and exit onto Street B. Because traffic often backs up for the red light at that intersection, idiot drivers feel entitled to take a short cut through the parking lot, which has quite a few speed bumps, at full driving speed. First off, asshats, stop treating the parking lot as if it's your own personal shortcut so that you don't have to spend a couple of extra minutes at the red light. Secondly, if you do feel compelled to drive through the parking lot, remember that it's a parking lot, not a speedway. On numerous occasions, I have been backing out of or pulling into a parking space and nearly hit by some asshat who is driving at street speeds, swerving around speed bumps, etc. Look, if saving one minute or possibly two minutes is that damn important to you, consider starting your drive to/from work, shopping, or whatever a few minutes earlier so you're not endangering numerous people in your quest to get from point A to point B. 

As we got older my husband was giving me a heart attack by almost hitting people in parking lots while backing out (problems also with his neck.) I bought a little kit for his car that my mechanic son installed for me. It's a backup camera, and it was the best thing I ever bought him. :)

• Love 7

I was walking behind an old guy's car years ago when he started backing out. His car started beeping and a loud recording began announcing "This vehicle is backing out!" or something like that. At that time I thought it was another obnoxious northerner who'd found another way to demand we cater to them, but now that I'm older I have a different perspective. Although, he probably was an obnoxious northerner! 

• Love 6

I looooove my backup camera, especially in parking lots. I still end up inching out of the space, however, as I have a small car. The supermarket parking lot near me is infamous. People walk around like it's a sidewalk, as opposed to, you know, watching where they're walking when there are cars  moving toward them. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Quof said:

Generally speaking, if you are in public, you are fair game for filming.   You have no expectation of privacy once you leave your own house. 

Yes, that's true, but usage of the video afterward makes all the difference. There are privacy laws that determine what can or can't be shown if the video is used, and you can be charged if misused.

I'll give you a real life example as to why these laws exist. We once had a two car (ambulance) response to a motor vehicle accident west of town, about 30 miles or so. The people involved had only minor injuries but there was an elderly couple in the one vehicle and their injuries dictated that they should be seen by a doctor. While the police were slowly letting the traffic through on the other lane, someone decided to snap some photos as they drove by and they showed this couple laying beside their vehicle.

The person who took the photos got into town and stopped at one of the gas stations where he began talking about the bad accident on the highway and the fatalities he saw. Then he started showing some of the photos when one of the bystanders said "Holy #$%@*! that's my uncle and auntie's car." Within the next half hour, the entire family was reeling over the death of their relatives, and people even called their workplace that they wouldn't make it in that day because relatives had died in a car accident.

When we got to the hospital emergency entrance, the entire family was standing there waiting for us. They were initially very shocked, but also very relieved that our patients were very much alive and doing quite well. As for the guy who took the photos and started the whole mess, the police found him and gave him a good lecture on his activity and a warning.

Edited by Random Noise
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

A doctor I know socially has commented more than once about seeing some pretty bad injuries from accidents that took place in parking lots, caused by drivers who use the same speed in a parking lot as they would on the street. 

I've attended two such incidents. Performing CPR on a 4 year old is one memory I'd prefer not having.

• Love 2

Current peeve—social media pressure to whatever “challenge” all the fb sheeple are participating in. 7 days of black and white photos? Who gives a crap! Oh, you challenge me? I ought to post 7 days of nothing but sheep, because that’s all some of these people do is “baaaaa” their way from meaningless thing to meaningless thing on fb. 

I’ve left social media before and am tempted to again. Leave it for the mindless masses to peer pressure each other into doing meaningless crap people pretend to care about. 

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Current peeve—social media pressure to whatever “challenge” all the fb sheeple are participating in. 7 days of black and white photos? Who gives a crap! Oh, you challenge me? I ought to post 7 days of nothing but sheep, because that’s all some of these people do is “baaaaa” their way from meaningless thing to meaningless thing on fb. 

I’ve left social media before and am tempted to again. Leave it for the mindless masses to peer pressure each other into doing meaningless crap people pretend to care about. 

Sheeple? Love that word and what you stated is so true. 

• Love 3
On 11/22/2017 at 3:28 PM, Mindthinkr said:

We put up with all this abuse from our relatives why? Tradition. 

I've been criticized more than once for "correcting" relatives when they made comments which can be interpreted as un-PC/insensitive.  Why?  Because I'm supposed to treat elders with respect.  #culture #asianpeopleproblems

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Sheeple? Love that word and what you stated is so true. 

I love the term as well. And it fits. People just “do” stuff because everyone else is. Wouldn’t wanna not play along, would they? 

It would be a fun social experiment to make up different fb “challenges”: 7 days, 7 different pub crawls! Black and white photos before and after each crawl (and let us know what excuse you used to call sick to work). 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I got an invite years ago from a FB user and signed up for an account, something which I came to regret later on. I find the whole social media thing counter productive.

Most bothersome to me is that Google, Facebook, and Twitter have those little widgets that appear on so many web sites now. If you have an account on social media and still have the cookies stored on your browser, all the sites you visit, news stories you read, online shopping that you do, help build a profile about you, what your interests are, and people you associate with.

sheep-1763376_960_720.thumb.jpg.d679f41feccc716e3bb1317826714c50.jpg

Edited by Random Noise
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Pressure? I got "challenged" and didn't do it simply because I didn't feel like it, though I have taken part in some other silly FB stuff*. I felt no pressure, and really don't imagine that other people do either. I think the "mindless sheep" label is a bit much; they're not joining a cult or confessing innermost secrets, they're sharing photos, which is what people do on Facebook anyway (it's social media, people use it to be social). Also, how do we know that they're pretending to care? Some people do want to take part (especially actual photographers) and do care about seeing their friends' posts on FB--and not everyone is into using FB for anything more serious or personal (or less "meaningless"). I agree with the "who gives a crap" part though--that's where scrolling comes in handy.

* I really dug one a while back--"7 songs in 7 days" or something--I think there was something more specific about it though. Anyway, I participated not because I am a sheep under tremendous pressure but because I and my various musically inclined friends thought it was fun! It was.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 8

I'm tired of people who make a celebrity's death all about them. It's not simply relating a story or experience they may have had, it's the anguish and explanation of said anguish and how much the celebrity meant to them and their years of fandom and when and why and now their life is forever changed, etc.

Folks? If almost every sentence of your "tribute" begins with "I," maybe take a moment to reformulate your thoughts.

• Love 2

Eh, that doesn't bother me either. After all, most people didn't actually know the celebrity in question and thus can't speak from that person's point of view. So instead they convey to others how that celebrity's absence makes them feel, and also how that celebrity made them happy.

What I do hate is memes with those Minions though, especially when the text on it is something serious or heavy. Why on earth would there be a Minion next to a Gandhi quote?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Pressure? I got "challenged" and didn't do it simply because I didn't feel like it, though I have taken part in some other silly FB stuff*. I felt no pressure, and really don't imagine that other people do either. I think the "mindless sheep" label is a bit much; they're not joining a cult or confessing innermost secrets, they're sharing photos, which is what people do on Facebook anyway (it's social media, people use it to be social). Also, how do we know that they're pretending to care? Some people do want to take part (especially actual photographers) and do care about seeing their friends' posts on FB--and not everyone is into using FB for anything more serious or personal. I agree with the "who gives a crap" part though--that's where scrolling comes in handy.

* I really dug one a while back--"7 songs in 7 days" or something--I think there was something more specific about it though. Anyway, I participated not because I am a sheep under tremendous pressure but because I and my various musically inclined friends thought it was fun! It was.

People do pressure others to partake, at least I get it anyways. Whaaaat? You’re not doing this? Are you anti-social? Well, yes, a little. 

My perception of “pretending to care” comes from events happening in the world; I personally know people who will post a sad blurb on fb and then go back to normal life as if nothing happened.  “Oh look I’m sad, now Jimmy needs to get to baseball practice.” Uh huh. To me that’s feigning empathy to look good on fb. Meanwhile, others namelessly volunteer either their time or money for said terrible events. 

Social media has made people more detached from reality in my observation. I’m about ready to ditch it all. 

• Love 4

Gotcha. I don't disagree with some of your observations--and I have certainly thought the same things about some people. I just also believe that some--many--of us can manage to use FB in a "real" way, and can also feel sad about Thing A while simultaneously and legitimately feeling happy or content with unrelated Thing B. I can care about more than one thing at once. I don't think making a (perceived as fake) post in FB automatically means that someone is not also doing actual helpful things (and how would I know what people do or don't do off of FB?). Example: I just posted about finding homes for shelter cats. I am also on my way out the door to do an adoption event at a local Petco to find homes for shelter cats. I don't want to be nameless in this--not because I want people to perceive me as super-awesome, but because I want them to know this information and that they can get in touch with me to adopt, donate, or help.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

This doesn't really annoy me, but I have to wonder why people take the time to reply to online questions with non-answers. Like on Amazon product reviews:

Q: Am I able to use this for [X] purpose?

A: Sorry, I don't know.

• Love 12
On November 22, 2017 at 0:59 PM, bubbls said:

No! Their opinion was we were being horrible for stopping the gifts.  Unbelievable, huh? We didn't go back to gift giving, for which I'm glad. It was tiresome. 

Oh my gosh...I just cant understand some people.

My BIL got married this past summer and his new Bride has already told me "they" wont be participating in any of the little traditions w his side of the family because "...shes not gonna start doing stuff shes never done". Um? Ok?  LOL

We did some small gift giving w his brothers, my mother in law...nothing super exspensive or elaborate - stuff like cute dish towels or I might pick up a bar of the fancy soap my MIL likes...a bottle of wine - stuff like that. We would pick a day around the holidays to have a specific meal, sit by the fire, play dominos, open some small gifts, walk the dogs together...just a really nice afternoon. We will certainly do that w out her (them?) but it makes me kinda sad. When I got married I loved adding new traditions and people to my holidays. Oh well...

What I think is interesting though - is that my BIL will go and do things w her family, but she wont give him the same courtesy.  Im not surprised, their wedding planning was all about her/her family. She really should have specifically sought out and married an orphan. ?

Edited by Kelly
  • Love 7

My pet-peeve is currently my mom and her hyper-judgement of my marital lifestyle choices.

For instance, my husband and I like to travel---we have no kids and work hard, so I feel like we've earn the right to do this. Yet my mom loves to toss the "you'd have more money if you stayed home more" insult at us.

My husband and I like to eat out at local restaurants and support our city's food scene. Yet my mom loves to toss the "you'd have more money if you ate at home more" insult at us.

My husband and I like to host parties and get togethers at our place. Yet my mom loves to toss the "you'd have more money if you didn't host all those gatherings" insult at us.

Yes mom, I guess we should just stay at home and do nothing, like you. I guess being a miserable miser hermit is her idea of paradise? She is a spoiled only child baby boomer though, so I've grown accustomed to hearing her disparage my work hard/play hard lifestyle while she stores away all her wads of money as she roams the halls of a large house that was all but handed to her.

She wonders why my husband and I literally escape for a vacation every Thanksgiving---she always hated hosting dinners when I was growing up, yet she refuses to show up for past Thanksgiving dinners my husband and I have attempted for her((and my husband is an awesome cook/host!)). One Christmas she even refused to come out of the house, so my husband and brother and I were literal "Christmas orphans" left to go to dinner at a local Irish pub.

I sometimes wonder if my mother is a relative of Ebeneser Scrooge.

• Love 5