Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

My niece is once again posting stuff on FB that the family knows is not true.  I don't know if it's because she forgets we are her "friends" on FB or she doesn't care.  None of us are challenging her because it's really just silly Look At Me stuff but that doesn't mean it's not annoying as well!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 7

Getting tired of poor restaurant service and how little you get for the cost of eating out. Been here for an hour now at a not too busy local pizza place and ordered a plain medium pie to share with my brother. (My mom and stepdad ordered square pie and got their food and all the appetizers came out.) We are still waiting for the medium pie and it’s after 8:00.

I’m really getting tired of these places moving super slow, forgetting orders and just being overall sloppy and lazy. I enjoy eating out once a week but it seems like the food quality is getting worse and staff just doesn’t care. I even went to a minor league baseball game last night and got charged $8 for ONE slice of pizza. They had full frozen pizza pies on sale at the grocery store last week for $5. 😂

Just found out the kitchen “forgot” our order and now it will be another 10 minutes…

• Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 3
  • Fire 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

They had full frozen pizza pies on sale at the grocery store last week for $5.

I'm not picky about pizza so I'll get a frozen one occasionally. I like sausage, onion and pepper which my husband doesn't like so it's all mine, mine, mine. Ahem, he get's a slice when he wants pizza, because he likes it dripping with cheese.

For my peeve today, it is when someone writes a word to extend it like they would when speaking it, like pizzaaaaaa, but do it for a word like love, and write loveeeeeee instead of looooove.  I don't know why it bothers me.

I was reading from the beginning of the thread and noticed I do many things that are peeves for other people. 😏

Edited by nokat
  • Like 6
  • LOL 4

Pet peeve - environmentally friendly straws. Yes, I know, save the planet and all that...   I carry a reusable metal straw in a small case in my handbag, so I'm fine any time I'm offered a paper straw with a soft drink or want to drink from a can without putting my lips on it (ewww).  But metal straws don't work with milkshakes, because they just freeze the ice cream, and the paper ones they offer at places like Five Guys just aren't up to the task. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Beans have never had the effect on me where I fart afterwards.

But this ground beef I ate last night has turned me into a gas attack machine.  And it was like 10% fat 90% lean 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Hugs 3
  • Wink 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Quof said:

Pet peeve - environmentally friendly straws. Yes, I know, save the planet and all that...   I carry a reusable metal straw in a small case in my handbag, so I'm fine any time I'm offered a paper straw with a soft drink or want to drink from a can without putting my lips on it (ewww).  But metal straws don't work with milkshakes, because they just freeze the ice cream, and the paper ones they offer at places like Five Guys just aren't up to the task. 

Reusable plastic, silicon straws with cases are available. Tervis brand cups and Yeti cups sell reusable straws ( I use both of those cups). My son got me an engraved Yeti cup for a present and my oldest gramddaughter insisted that he put Go Away on it since that is my default response. I even have a little metal sign beside my door that says Go Away. I like the Yeti straw because it is a little bigger and shorter. The Tervis ones are narrower and taller. There are many many other options available in stores and online. 
Related peeve: while I offered silicon as an option just know that they are floppy. Annoyingly floppy. I threw the pack I bought in the trash after one time use.

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 4
  • LOL 2
16 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Reusable plastic, silicon straws with cases are available.

Do they sell something like a bottle brush, but for straws? I wonder if a pipe cleaner would work. The thought of not being able to clean them makes me think of the crud that would build up.

Laughing about the floppy straws.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
35 minutes ago, nokat said:

Do they sell something like a bottle brush, but for straws? I wonder if a pipe cleaner would work. The thought of not being able to clean them makes me think of the crud that would build up.

Laughing about the floppy straws.

Yes! You can find straw cleaners either separate or with straws. 

If you are quickly looking for just a straw cleaner check the baby section in stores or online. I got a small multi brush set (for lids/straws/baby cups) that came with a stickable hanging thing that has hooks for them. It is unobtrusive and I put it inside the cabinet door beside my sink. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, nokat said:

'm not picky about pizza so I'll get a frozen one occasionally. I like sausage, onion and pepper which my husband doesn't like so it's all mine, mine, mine.

Heh, if I don't want to share I get a Hawaiian pizza, which he considers a travesty and I consider delicious!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Quof said:

When we cleaned out my parents’ house after my father died I found a stash of disposable straws.  I use them but one straw lasts months because I keep rinsing it out and reusing it. I may be dead before I need to look at alternatives! Bought some silicone ones which I hated and metal ones which struck me as too dangerous because I’m often sipping on water while walking and if I stumble that could be very bad.

• Like 6

A very random pet peeve . . .

I've thought about getting breast implants for years. Looking at different surgeons' before and after galleries, and it's so annoying that some show afters at six weeks, some at several months after, and some don't list dates at all. It's difficult to tell which surgeon's work is more my taste (natural) since most freshly augmented breasts will sit up high and gradually look more natural with time. I wish all the surgeons showed after pictures several months post-op.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, nokat said:

For my peeve today, it is when someone writes a word to extend it like they would when speaking it, like pizzaaaaaa, but do it for a word like love, and write loveeeeeee instead of looooove.  I don't know why it bothers me.

It bothers me too, especially loveeeeeeeee because then I just read it as love-eeeeeeeeee. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 3
7 hours ago, Quof said:

I don't like paper straws, and those metal straws scare me.  I carry around plastic bendable straws that I rinse and reuse.  I'll live with the risk of plastic molecules shedding into my drink. 

• Like 5
9 hours ago, nokat said:

I was reading from the beginning of the thread and noticed I do many things that are peeves for other people. 

Tough tarts, I say! I know that I do something on here that annoys some folks: I type "cause" instead of "because". Why, you ask? Cause it's easier & I'm usually responding on a teeny tiny "keyboard" on my phone. And once in a great while, I like to type "for-evahhhhh".  That's a rarity as there's usually no reason to do this 😎

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
33 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Tough tarts, I say! I know that I do something on here that annoys some folks: I type "cause" instead of "because". Why, you ask? Cause it's easier & I'm usually responding on a teeny tiny "keyboard" on my phone. And once in a great while, I like to type "for-evahhhhh".  That's a rarity as there's usually no reason to do this 😎

I’ll take cause over bcos any day. The latter sounds like some medical syndrome that’s hard to diagnose and resistant to treatment. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
4 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Just remember, if we (mostly others though, right?) didn't do annoying things, we wouldn't have this delightful forum thread.

That's a very positive way of looking at it/us. It's too bad more people can't be like us 🤓.

• Like 1
  • Wink 6
  • LOL 5

People at the deli counter who order piecemeal. This woman must have ordered 10-15 things one at a time. I'll have a half pound of turkey. The deli person hands it over, she puts it in her cart then...I'll have a half pound of ham, the deli person hands it over, etc... by the time I was done being helped by the 2nd person "I'll have a half pound of red potato salad, coleslaw, and broccoli salad, please", she was still going.

It's one thing if you don't know what you want, but FFS, tell the person what you do want, or at least part of what you want if it's a large order so they can be efficient with their processes and make their life easier, too.

• Like 9
6 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

People at the deli counter who order piecemeal. This woman must have ordered 10-15 things one at a time. I'll have a half pound of turkey. The deli person hands it over, she puts it in her cart then...I'll have a half pound of ham, the deli person hands it over, etc... by the time I was done being helped by the 2nd person "I'll have a half pound of red potato salad, coleslaw, and broccoli salad, please", she was still going.

It's one thing if you don't know what you want, but FFS, tell the person what you do want, or at least part of what you want if it's a large order so they can be efficient with their processes and make their life easier, too.

People like that should order ahead.  

• Like 5
On 4/1/2023 at 11:09 AM, Leeds said:

When I went back to work after maternity leave, I would park a couple of blocks from home after work and just sit in silence for 10 minutes before taking on the onslaught of noise, chit chat, dinner prep, trying to make order out of chaos, etc. 

This is a great idea, now that the weather here in Upstate NY is getting warmer I may take a walk when I get home just for the 30 minutes of silence. That will help!

• Like 9
21 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

A very random pet peeve . . .

I've thought about getting breast implants for years. Looking at different surgeons' before and after galleries, and it's so annoying that some show afters at six weeks, some at several months after, and some don't list dates at all. It's difficult to tell which surgeon's work is more my taste (natural) since most freshly augmented breasts will sit up high and gradually look more natural with time. I wish all the surgeons showed after pictures several months post-op.

My coworker got implants about 6 years ago, she was an A cup at best and went to a B cup, they look great and she is very happy with them. The same surgeon who did her implants did my breast reduction and I am very happy with the results as well. I think if you go with a qualified surgeon who has great reviews you'll be very pleased. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, KittyMom4 said:

My coworker got implants about 6 years ago, she was an A cup at best and went to a B cup, they look great and she is very happy with them. The same surgeon who did her implants did my breast reduction and I am very happy with the results as well. I think if you go with a qualified surgeon who has great reviews you'll be very pleased. 

Thank you! I’m about a B and would like to be a D. I think I’ve narrowed down my top three surgeons to consult with. :)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Well, I guess I am really the odd duck here! I had a double mastectomy in 2013 after a breast cancer dx of a small tumor. (My mom passed from breast cancer so not taking any chances.) I never had/wanted any reconstruction and have been perfectly content to be flat and fabulous ever since.  We each do what is right for ourself...

• Like 18
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

This is probably a dumb (or naive) question, but how would it be any faster if she gave the entire order up front?  The deli person can only package one item at a time.  And unless the deli person writes everything down up front (which would take more time), she'd probably end up asking the customer to repeat a lot of the items.  Or is it that the customer was waiting a long time to decide on each next item...?  Or is it bad form to order more than a few different deli items at once?  But that seems no worse than getting in the checkout line with 100 items in your cart.  Actually it's probably better, since there was a second deli worker who could help whoever's next in line, versus a checkout line where someone can't easily switch to a different line.  Haha I'm sure I'm overthinking this.  I just don't want to be "that person" at the deli counter without realizing it.

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

This is probably a dumb (or naive) question, but how would it be any faster if she gave the entire order up front?  T

The only way it would be faster (at least IMO) is when you are only requesting 2 or 3 things "half a pound of ham and of salami and a small container of potato salad please" would probably we better than waiting for each item to be done and then requesting the next.  But if someone is ordering enough items to cater an extended family barbecue then I think nothing is going to make things go faster!  It's like being stuck in the check out line behind someone who has a coupon for everything in their cart!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Thank you! I’m about a B and would like to be a D. I think I’ve narrowed down my top three surgeons to consult with. :)

I'm a 36D and would love to be a B. I have to buy large or Xlarge t-shirts, tops, etc as designers seem to have models in mind when designing women's clothes. The shoulders often hang over my upper arms a bit. I'd also love to have thick hair 😸

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm a 36D and would love to be a B.

I'm a D-cup and fine with it, but I wouldn't choose breasts this size if I was ordering them from a catalog.

18 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

This is probably a dumb (or naive) question, but how would it be any faster if she gave the entire order up front?  The deli person can only package one item at a time.  And unless the deli person writes everything down up front (which would take more time), she'd probably end up asking the customer to repeat a lot of the items.

That's the case at my local market; the people who work the deli and meat counters routinely request any customer who orders a bunch of things at once - especially if in different amounts - to hold on, they'll do the first couple and then carry on from there.  I figure they don't want to risk misremembering part of it.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

Yeah, be careful what you wish for when it comes to larger boobs. I don't know why anyone would willingly volunteer for what goes along with them: backaches, bad posture, shoulder grooves from bra straps, clothes that are hard to fit, guys calling them out on the street. I've always wanted mine to be smaller.

The grass is always greener, I guess.

• Like 17
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Yeah, be careful what you wish for when it comes to larger boobs. I don't know why anyone would willingly volunteer for what goes along with them: backaches, bad posture, shoulder grooves from bra straps, clothes that are hard to fit, guys calling them out on the street. I've always wanted mine to be smaller.

I’m not going for the Dolly Parton look. Just trying to balance out my hips. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
46 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

This is probably a dumb (or naive) question, but how would it be any faster if she gave the entire order up front?  The deli person can only package one item at a time.  And unless the deli person writes everything down up front (which would take more time), she'd probably end up asking the customer to repeat a lot of the items.  Or is it that the customer was waiting a long time to decide on each next item...?  Or is it bad form to order more than a few different deli items at once?  But that seems no worse than getting in the checkout line with 100 items in your cart.  Actually it's probably better, since there was a second deli worker who could help whoever's next in line, versus a checkout line where someone can't easily switch to a different line.  Haha I'm sure I'm overthinking this.  I just don't want to be "that person" at the deli counter without realizing it.

42 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

The only way it would be faster (at least IMO) is when you are only requesting 2 or 3 things "half a pound of ham and of salami and a small container of potato salad please" would probably we better than waiting for each item to be done and then requesting the next.  

It was the way she was ordering it, one at a time, putting the item in her cart, then ordering the next item. I'm not saying she should have rattled off all 10 items at once but I've worked at a deli counter and it is more efficient for the deli associate if someone says "I'll have a half pound of cheddar, a half pound of swiss and a half pound of provolone". The person can get the items, slice, bag slice, bag, slice, bag, then weigh each and hand them over.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

This is exactly why I've always been happy being a B-cup. I've watched large-breasted family members struggle with back aches and poorly fitted clothes my whole life. One cousin in particular has been brought to tears by shoulder and back pain that she says she wouldn't wish on anyone.

• Like 8
(edited)
1 minute ago, oliviabenson said:

Finding bras is a nightmare.

Oh for sure!  Hate shopping for them to the point where when I find one I like I wear it until it's falling apart - and, frankly, not doing its job anymore!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 5
  • LOL 3
3 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Oh for sure!  Hate shopping for them to the point where when I find one I like I wear it until it's falling apart - and, frankly, not doing its job anymore!

You should see my bras lol. They look awful. I keep one for doctor appointments only. The rest look like they need to be thrown out!

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Finding bras is a nightmare. I usually wear a sports bra!

I've been wearing a lot of sports bras lately too.  I'm a 30B and I mostly shop from small, online brands that cater to smaller framed sizes.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I've been wearing a lot of sports bras lately too.  I'm a 30B and I mostly shop from small, online brands that cater to smaller framed sizes.

Oh, I wish. I'm 5'2", 112 lbs and wear a 36C. Not too big but it's so hard to find cute tops that don't make me look like a short linebacker.

• Like 4
(edited)
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, I wish. I'm 5'2", 112 lbs and wear a 36C. Not too big but it's so hard to find cute tops that don't make me look like a short linebacker.

That was exactly my size in my 20s. Plus height and weight. Not anymore unfortunately.

Edited by rcc
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

My Pet Peeve of the day is Hectoring. 

I have an enormous amount of patience with people in general. I can easily ignore people I don't agree with, or people who are just walking this planet and breathing air that would have better used by a dog or something. I have a strong belief that I should always lead with "I have no idea what's going on in that person's life right now." I feel like there could be a hundred other things factoring in to why a person is saying or doing the things they are doing right now.

But my patience has run out with people who seem to have made it their life's work to turn every discussion into "Here's how you should be thinking about this topic..."

They all share the same problem. If you respond to them with "Have you considered that YOU might not be entirely correct?", they lose their minds. Never occurred to them. I'm just done with this attitude. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 4

Ugh, I was an A until I was about 30, then I filled out to a fullish B; I'm a late bloomer, haha--I didn't break 100 pounds until around that age too. When I was small, I didn't like it. Now that I'm this, I wish I was still that. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

My Pet Peeve of the day is Hectoring. 

I have an enormous amount of patience with people in general. I can easily ignore people I don't agree with, or people who are just walking this planet and breathing air that would have better used by a dog or something. I have a strong belief that I should always lead with "I have no idea what's going on in that person's life right now." I feel like there could be a hundred other things factoring in to why a person is saying or doing the things they are doing right now.

But my patience has run out with people who seem to have made it their life's work to turn every discussion into "Here's how you should be thinking about this topic..."

They all share the same problem. If you respond to them with "Have you considered that YOU might not be entirely correct?", they lose their minds. Never occurred to them. I'm just done with this attitude. 

It’s always the stupidest people who are so sure of everything.

How many people keep up with politics closely enough to go around lecturing others about? Whatever your views are, it’s a lot to keep up with and a lot of bias. 

How many people are knowledgeable about the thousands of religions? Or even the top 10 most popular ones? It’s always the folks who just know and practice whatever they grew up with push their views on me. 

Let’s say you are super smart and tend to be right. No one enjoys the company of a know-it-all, so at least be open to the possibility you may be incorrect. It’s not charming to to go around lecturing, correcting, picking people’s words apart. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

It’s always the stupidest people who are so sure of everything.

Stupid doesn't bother me. I can work with stupid. I'm stupid all the time, so I'm aware of what can be done in that case.

It's the smart ones who try my patience.

• Like 2

I can deal with stupid and smart. I can’t deal with ones who have lost or never had the ability to debate a point  and instead decide to live in an echo chamber and lecture others outside of that chamber. 
I am geeky enough to want a Venn diagram of how views are interrelated. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Stupid doesn't bother me. I can work with stupid. I'm stupid all the time, so I'm aware of what can be done in that case.

It's the smart ones who try my patience.

Haha, I think it boils down to rudeness for me. Smart and stupid people can both be rude. 

• Like 5

My peeve of the day is incompetence. I’ll spare you the details. 
Also the people who have to pass you and then ground to a halt so they can make a right turn. Does that minute you saved really make a difference? 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Also the people who have to pass you and then ground to a halt so they can make a right turn. Does that minute you saved really make a difference? 

Exactly! If you're going to be turning off this road in another half mile, you'll survive going slower than you want to for another 45 seconds. 

I have one spot where it's two lanes at a stoplight that will merge down to 1 land in 1,500 feet or so. It's absolutely lost on me why somebody in the lane next to me would race out in front, only to make the left turn into a parking lot right after the merge point.

WHY?

• Like 7