Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

My mental health has not been its best. I feel good times are going to come ahead and know this doom and gloom is temporary, but I've been feeling very depressed, crying constantly, and could benefit from talking to a professional.

My pet peeve now is how hard it is to find a good female psychiatrist. I've called a ton of numbers. Either the reviews are terrible, they're not taking patients, they are taking patients but booked for serval months, they've moved, they're retiring, something with every number. I left a voicemail for an APRN yesterday and was told I'd hear back by the next day, but it's the end of the work day and nothing. 

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Huge Pet Peeve. Perfectly describes my experience trying to get on Medicare.

image.thumb.png.fed733738f08f17313af3627e603c7ac.png

I realize this isn't at all the point here, but I'm irrationally bothered by Dagwood being "online" in the 1930s. I haven't read Dagwood in probably 30 years, but since when is he modern?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, bilgistic said:

I realize this isn't at all the point here, but I'm irrationally bothered by Dagwood being "online" in the 1930s. I haven't read Dagwood in probably 30 years, but since when is he modern?

Since always?

• LOL 2

My kitchen is giving me some peeves lately! First, the stupid sink sprayer hose keeps getting caught on the valve thing (I know I have mentioned this before and it never gets less infuriating!). But also, my quarter cup measuring cup had disappeared! Where? Where did it go? I was digging in the oatmeal container, thinking I dropped it in, and in the bottom of the dishwasher! Where the hell os that thing? Whatever—I bought a vintage set of avocado Tupperware ones. F you, AWOL measuring cup! 

Oh, and my air fryer is behaving in a possibly slightly alarming way that I can’t quite figure out. It was not crazy expensive, so maybe I’ll just replace it instead of making myself nuts.

Also, I should probably not watch home reno shows and then look at my own basic tiny condo kitchen!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

My kitchen is giving me some peeves lately! First, the stupid sink sprayer hose keeps getting caught on the valve thing (I know I have mentioned this before and it never gets less infuriating!). But also, my quarter cup measuring cup had disappeared! Where? Where did it go? I was digging in the oatmeal container, thinking I dropped it in, and in the bottom of the dishwasher! Where the hell os that thing? Whatever—I bought a vintage set of avocado Tupperware ones. F you, AWOL measuring cup! 

Oh, and my air fryer is behaving in a possibly slightly alarming way that I can’t quite figure out. It was not crazy expensive, so maybe I’ll just replace it instead of making myself nuts.

Also, I should probably not watch home reno shows and then look at my own basic tiny condo kitchen!

I have somehow "lost" my little blue rimmed Chinese  bowl for sauces...it just "disappeared" a couple of months ago, No idea where it went, wish I could find it...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Really? That's insane. WTF does the have to do with her Medicare?

Looks like I am repeating an answer from above. 

It may have something to do with her if she has been covered by her husband's employer insurance.  There are complicated rules about that.  Anyway, the date usually appears on the card.  It will say April 1992, or whatever.  It usually starts on the first of the month.  And usually starts on the 65th birthday.   As I have posted before, but in case anyone missed it, she should call the Medicare Rights Center for help.  They are so knowledgeable.  They are an independent nonprofit. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I have somehow "lost" my little blue rimmed Chinese  bowl for sauces...it just "disappeared" a couple of months ago, No idea where it went, wish I could find it...

We call this going on vacation.  The missing items always turn up.  I lost my bluetooth earphones for a couple of months and actually bought new ones.  They were suddenly found in the broom closet stuck to a mop.  Huh????

I couldn't find my glasses.  Fortunately, I have a spare.  They were found in the dirty laundry basket days later.  They had apparently fallen off my head into the laundry! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

At work, when things go missing, we decide they're time travelers, and they've gone to the future to wait for us to catch up.  You look in a place many times, but the item is never there until one day it is.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

At work, when things go missing, we decide they're time travelers, and they've gone to the future to wait for us to catch up.  You look in a place many times, but the item is never there until one day it is.

I think there was a Twilight Zone episode about something fairly similar.  There are a bunch of people building every minute.  Sometimes they forget to put something where it would go in that minute and that's why you can look and it's not there and you look there a couple of minutest later and it is.

• Love 5

In an episode of Moonlighting where they were doing a takeoff of It’s a Wonderful Life the angel said that just for fun they sometimes move things and when the person looks away they put it back. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

If only. 🥺

More on missing items.  Always keep looking.  I was missing a bathing suit.  I knew I had put it in a particular closet.  I kept looking and turning the closet upside down. One day about a year later the suit reappeared in said closet. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

my quarter cup measuring cup had disappeared! Where? Where did it go? I was digging in the oatmeal container, thinking I dropped it in, and in the bottom of the dishwasher! Where the hell os that thing? Whatever—I bought a vintage set of avocado Tupperware ones. F you, AWOL measuring cup! 

15 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

We have this problem with the silverware, & the pieces never turn up again. I'll empty the dishwasher & as I'm putting things away I'll notice that we only have 3 of something we used to have 8 of. No idea where they go, but it's really annoying.

10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

9 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think there was a Twilight Zone episode about something fairly similar.  There are a bunch of people building every minute.  Sometimes they forget to put something where it would go in that minute and that's why you can look and it's not there and you look there a couple of minutest later and it is.

YES! The blue men who build time. The episode is A Matter of Minutes, we use that excuse all the time when we can't find things "they must have forgotten to put it in the minute!"

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, GaT said:

We have this problem with the silverware, & the pieces never turn up again. I'll empty the dishwasher & as I'm putting things away Ill notice that we only have 3 of something we used to have 8 of. No idea where they go, but it's really annoying.

Same.  I had a whole set of dinner forks (12) and I'm now down to 10.  No clue where the other two went!  I think I'm missing soup spoons and dinner knives too.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I've found that that is usually the best solution - get a replacement, then the original pops right up!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I've found that that is usually the best solution - get a replacement, then the original pops right up!

That was my strategy with my missing pipe wrench, but it didn't work; it's now been about ten years and that thing is still missing.  If it time traveled, it went way into the future and by the time I catch up with it I'll be too old to fix things.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

With me it's socks.  I know this a common loss in most households but it's really annoying!  I recently replenished my sock collection and the first time I washed one of the new pairs (adorable ones with pink flamingos on them) one of them went missing.  I mean how do you lose a sock with bright pink flamingos on it????  Anyway it's not the losses so much, it's the wondering where in hell have they gone that keeps me up nights!

• Love 4
On 4/22/2022 at 6:02 PM, RealHousewife said:

My mental health has not been its best. I feel good times are going to come ahead and know this doom and gloom is temporary, but I've been feeling very depressed, crying constantly, and could benefit from talking to a professional.

My pet peeve now is how hard it is to find a good female psychiatrist. I've called a ton of numbers. Either the reviews are terrible, they're not taking patients, they are taking patients but booked for serval months, they've moved, they're retiring, something with every number. I left a voicemail for an APRN yesterday and was told I'd hear back by the next day, but it's the end of the work day and nothing. 

It will start getting warmer outside, so you can take walks, maybe with a good friend?  Or do a little clothes shopping for the summer.  Ride a bike if you can and get out of the house.  It’s been a lousy winter all around between everything.  Even walking thru a mall with a mask on helps.  Being in the house drives me nuts.

• Love 1
On 4/22/2022 at 6:02 PM, RealHousewife said:

Psychology Today Find a Therapist tool is pretty solid: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists

2 hours ago, SusanM said:

With me it's socks.  I know this a common loss in most households but it's really annoying!  I recently replenished my sock collection and the first time I washed one of the new pairs (adorable ones with pink flamingos on them) one of them went missing.  I mean how do you lose a sock with bright pink flamingos on it????  Anyway it's not the losses so much, it's the wondering where in hell have they gone that keeps me up nights!

Do you have a front load washer? A long time ago someone told me socks can end up over the drum in a traditional washer, but apparently it's pretty common for socks to end up in the filter of a front load washer.

• Useful 2

We pin pairs of socks together with safety pins for washing. You pin the socks together when you take them off at night.  We just put them back in the drawer with the pins after washing. Saves on sorting. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm pretty certain that in my case, the missing utensils made their way into the trash can unknowingly.

We enjoy take-out, but don't like eating with plastic utensils, so we use our own ... and, apparently, tossed a couple of forks with the take-out containers. They were a heavy Towle stainless pattern, and I was able to find replacements at Replacements.com, but the sticker shock at today's prices made me much more careful about after-dinner cleanup.

• Love 3
On 4/23/2022 at 12:02 AM, RealHousewife said:

I am sorry to hear that. I have a different problem, while I understand logically that I could probably use some professional help, especially now, I am still at the stage that I don't want to talk to strangers about my problems. Especially since those problems seem nothing compared to what a lot of other people are going through. Also, in our culture we have not normalized therapy as much as in the US, so I kind of have that type of stigma, even though I know I shouldn't. Plus, our public mental health is known to suck a lot, so I would have to search for a privite therapist and I don't think I want to let go of that amount of money.

Thank God some people around me are still willing to listen to my rants and they mostly share my opinions. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I am sorry to hear that. I have a different problem, while I understand logically that I could probably use some professional help, especially now, I am still at the stage that I don't want to talk to strangers about my problems. Especially since those problems seem nothing compared to what a lot of other people are going through. Also, in our culture we have not normalized therapy as much as in the US, so I kind of have that type of stigma, even though I know I shouldn't. Plus, our public mental health is known to suck a lot, so I would have to search for a privite therapist and I don't think I want to let go of that amount of money.

Thank God some people around me are still willing to listen to my rants and they mostly share my opinions. 

Asian?  I get it.  My parents are "different" in that they're more open to these things, so I saw one even in high school.  But that was at the suggestion of my school's guidance department.  And probably the only way my parents would pay for that kind of thing at the time (which was the mid-90s, when even western society was not as open/comfortable with therapy).  I'm pretty open at telling the world that I see one right now, to the dismay of some of my aunts/uncles and even same generation cousins.  I also talk about it on my podcast and that has helped as well (even though I don't have the largest of audiences LOL).  As for my relationship with my parents and figuring out how to deal with their passive-aggressive issues with what I eat and feed my family, well, I need to work up the guts somehow to tell them to f-off in the nicest way possible.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

Asian?  I get it.  My parents are "different" in that they're more open to these things, so I saw one even in high school.  But that was at the suggestion of my school's guidance department.  And probably the only way my parents would pay for that kind of thing at the time (which was the mid-90s, when even western society was not as open/comfortable with therapy).  I'm pretty open at telling the world that I see one right now, to the dismay of some of my aunts/uncles and even same generation cousins.  I also talk about it on my podcast and that has helped as well (even though I don't have the largest of audiences LOL).  As for my relationship with my parents and figuring out how to deal with their passive-aggressive issues with what I eat and feed my family, well, I need to work up the guts somehow to tell them to f-off in the nicest way possible.

No, Central Europe. I mean, I don't think I would get shamed for it, it's more like people would probably think I have more serious problems than I have and get too worried. It's not so normalized here like in the US (at least what I think from TV and message boards), people usually go to one only with more "serious" issues, like traumatic experience or addiction, not "just" with anxiety. Or maybe they do and just don't talk about it, I would probably keep it from people too, if I ever decide to try it. I know there are some efforts to normalize it, but these things take time.

• Love 2

Well, I didn’t find it last night but, upon deciding today that I wanted to make a quick batch of avocado chocolate pudding, I found it in the cocoa powder! Interestingly, the replacement measuring cup set I ordered the other night is the color called…

avocado! The fact that that color kept calling to me was maybe the universe trying to direct me to where I’d left the measuring cup!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

No, Central Europe. I mean, I don't think I would get shamed for it, it's more like people would probably think I have more serious problems than I have and get too worried. It's not so normalized here like in the US (at least what I think from TV and message boards), people usually go to one only with more "serious" issues, like traumatic experience or addiction, not "just" with anxiety. Or maybe they do and just don't talk about it, I would probably keep it from people too, if I ever decide to try it. I know there are some efforts to normalize it, but these things take time.

Ah.  In many Asian cultures, especially East Asian cultures influenced by Confucian philosophy, mental health issues or any disability/"abnormality" is shamed.  Older folks might comment that you/your ancestors did something "wrong" to deserve it.  Or they don't believe you have it.  I've heard of people with food intolerances/allergies who are still told to "try" something, even if it could make them sick/kill them.  And the sad thing is food is very much an integral part of our (ancestral) culture, so not participating means you're removed/not honouring your background.  The only way is for the person who is allergic (or their parents) to host the festivities themselves, using substitutes (which could also lead to harsh criticism since it's not "authentic").  I can also go on about learning disabilities (I recently read that Asian kids are far less likely to be flagged for learning challenges than other ethnic groups, including other non-white groups).

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Well, I didn’t find it last night but, upon deciding today that I wanted to make a quick batch of avocado chocolate pudding, I found it in the cocoa powder! Interestingly, the replacement measuring cup set I ordered the other night is the color called…

avocado! The fact that that color kept calling to me was maybe the universe trying to direct me to where I’d left the measuring cup!

Sorry, but I can't get past avacado chocolate pudding. 🤪

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

No, you don’t taste the avocados; they just create a good pudding-like texture (that I guess would come from milk/cream in a nonvegan recipe?). Tastes “real” it’s easy; all you need is 4 ingredients and a blender. The best I’ve had though was at my cousin’s wedding reception. I got lucky that my cousin, unbeknownst to me, asked the venue to do a whole separate dinner for me (and that the chef there was excited to do it) — it was so good!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Recipe?  I’d love to make it!

On 4/23/2022 at 10:05 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

More on missing items.  Always keep looking.  I was missing a bathing suit.  I knew I had put it in a particular closet.  I kept looking and turning the closet upside down. One day about a year later the suit reappeared in said closet. 

I lost a ring when my husband and I rented a cabin in the North Georgia Mountains for a long weekend. It wasn’t valuable, but,  it I really liked it and it was unique. I tore through every bag we had, the cabin and the car and called the rental company, but it didn’t show up.

A year and a half later at my brother’s funeral (very unexpected) in Colorado. I went into my parents room - they live in New Mexico and I live in Georgia - and my mom said “I found this ring on our floor”. It was my ring!!! 
I call it my “Tom” ring (my brothers name was Tom) and I wear it everyday.

I know it’s not a pet peeve, but it is the most bizarre thing that every happened to me.

Unfortunately, I am still missing many things that I have never found. My brother didn’t seem fit to deliver me 30 years of missing socks, but I’ll take the ring.

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Recipe?  I’d love to make it!

You blend avocados, milk of some kind (I usually use oat milk, but whatever kind, plant or otherwise; I bet a chocolate cashew milk would be good!), cocoa powder, and something sweet. I usually use a little bit of maple syrup because it’s the easiest, but some people with really great blenders swear by a date or two. Also, once you get the texture/consistency you want, you really can easily adjust and customize as you see fit.

You may want to Google if you want exact measurements. I usually start with 2 avocados and use the “blend and check” method to see if I need more of something. Just be sure to add milk in small increments as needed so nothing gets too soupy! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

This is silly, but I’ve started doing some word games on the AARP website (only one commercial at the beginning!).  Lately, I’ve tried the word search.  My kids got really excited about it.  So, I now leave most of it to them to do.  Seeing the words hat they can’t find is really hard.  My head is screaming, “It’s right THERE!”  While my mouth remains shut and my kids keep TRYING to find that word.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

To the future? Do you have a jet pack???

I wish! I made it to the future where my base coat was back in the closet with the rest of my nail polish supplies. I had been looking for it for a week!

• LOL 3
On 4/23/2022 at 10:05 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I went crazy looking for a small booklet I kept all thru the courtship with my husband years ago.  How we met, all our dates, what he said, etc.  looked thru everything, under everything or about six months and was heartbroken.  One day, I wanted to wash this runner I have on the coffee table.  The booklet was under the runner.  How and why did it get there?  I was overjoyed.  Actually, I wrote it in shorthand so no one could read it.  I still remembered the symbols.  So happy.  He was quite romantic, and after dating a couple of months said “you are going to marry me”.   That was over fifty years ago.  Still together.

• Love 8

Our local oldies station boasts that they "never play the same song twice in a day".  Well sure but they play the same songs, or I should say subset of songs, constantly.  They do change it up but for a few weeks at a time a core group of about 10-15 songs get aired pretty much every single day. 

Right now among other it's A Hard Day's Night, Brian Wilson (by the Barenaked Ladies), Glory Days, Piano Man  and Fat Bottomed Girls.  All songs I like but I do not need to hear them all the time.

Anyway my peeve isn't this exactly (although this is a peeve) my peeve is that when I wrote to the station to complain - nicely - they sent me back one of those generic "thank you for your support" kind of emails that make if clear they didn't actually read what I wrote even though they spend time every day saying "we want to hear from our listeners.  Sure you do!

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 2

He was quite romantic, and after dating a couple of months said “you are going to marry me”.   That was over fifty years ago.  Still together.

That reminds me of my DH. I met him when he was working at his dad's gas station. He asked for my number so I handed him my business card. After I left his dad asked him who I was and he  replied "That's the girl I'm going to marry." Forty two years next month.

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, SusanM said:

Our local oldies station boasts that they "never play the same song twice in a day".  Well sure but they play the same songs, or I should say subset of songs, constantly.  They do change it up but for a few weeks at a time a core group of about 10-15 songs get aired pretty much every single day. 

Right now among other it's A Hard Day's Night, Brian Wilson (by the Barenaked Ladies), Glory Days, Piano Man  and Fat Bottomed Girls.  All songs I like but I do not need to hear them all the time.

Anyway my peeve isn't this exactly (although this is a peeve) my peeve is that when I wrote to the station to complain - nicely - they sent me back one of those generic "thank you for your support" kind of emails that make if clear they didn't actually read what I wrote even though they spend time every day saying "we want to hear from our listeners.  Sure you do!

BNL songs are "oldies" now?  Goodness, I'm OLD!  So going on 43 this year is old?  

Edited by PRgal
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That reminds me of my DH. I met him when he was working at his dad's gas station. He asked for my number so I handed him my business card. After I left his dad asked him who I was and he  replied "That's the girl I'm going to marry." Forty two years next month.

Congratulations.  That is so sweet.  When they know, they know.  Love at first sight for all of us.  I now think back and wish I could do it all over again.  Our pic on my profile.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Congratulations.  That is so sweet.  When they know, they know.  Love at first sight for all of us.  I now think back and wish I could do it all over again.  Our pic on my profile.

Beautiful picture. We had a rocky first year but I love him more every day.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

You blend avocados, milk of some kind (I usually use oat milk, but whatever kind, plant or otherwise; I bet a chocolate cashew milk would be good!), cocoa powder, and something sweet. I usually use a little bit of maple syrup because it’s the easiest, but some people with really great blenders swear by a date or two. Also, once you get the texture/consistency you want, you really can easily adjust and customize as you see fit.

You may want to Google if you want exact measurements. I usually start with 2 avocados and use the “blend and check” method to see if I need more of something. Just be sure to add milk in small increments as needed so nothing gets too soupy! 

Here's  a link to the recipe I use:  https://www.notenoughcinnamon.com/healthy-avocado-chocolate-mousse/

I've also made avocado chocolate chip cookies and baked chocolate avocado donuts that are really tasty.  As others have mentioned, the avocado provides the fat in the recipe making it nice and rich but you really can't taste any avocado flavor. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3