Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I get it. Happened to me a long time ago, and although I have a pretty good idea of what motivated it, it still stings. Sometimes it's harder to lose a good friend than a mate. I remember that falling into friendship with this person felt almost exactly like falling in love.

I don't have any words of wisdom, just words of commiseration. It's not you, it's her.

And I'd definitely change my TV log-ins. I mean, fuck that.  📺

• Love 15
On 4/8/2022 at 10:38 PM, Bastet said:

My peeve du jour:  People who announce they're going to pick up their toys and go home as a blatant ploy to see how many "no, don't go" responses they can get, come back the next week, go through the same "I'm outta here" routine the week after that, and on and on.  How can I miss you when you won't go away?

That is sometimes referred to as a YAGE (yet another grand exit).

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
46 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I had also given her some of my TV streaming logins, and I'm considering changing those.

Don't just change the password, be sure to take the extra step of logging out all devices. It will be a pain for you but it's the only way to ensure they can't keep using them.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
48 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I'm just sad that she's moved on and didn't bother to tell me why. I deserve better and it hurts.

I bet this has happened to most of us at least once or twice.  For me it was a friend that I had made in high school, she was even my maid of honour at my wedding - and then it just seemed like one day she decided we weren't friends anymore.  I still don't know why.   It really felt like a break up but one where you never get the chance to have your say, or at least to say good-bye.

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Don't just change the password, be sure to take the extra step of logging out all devices. It will be a pain for you but it's the only way to ensure they can't keep using them.

I've done this. Thanks for the gentle push I needed, y'all.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

My goodness you have a small waist! 

I’m really short so mid rise come up over my pooch near my belly button. I feel like I have to hem everything. It isn’t easy to wear adult clothes when basically a kids size 12 fits and I don’t want to wear Elsa from Frozen or kids prints. 

I've found that kids 10/12 fit kind of weird.  I'm also really short (5'2" or thereabouts, depending on whether I'm standing straight)!  

Just now, PRgal said:

I've found that kids 10/12 fit kind of weird.  I'm also really short (5'2" or thereabouts, depending on whether I'm standing straight)!  

In my case it’s because I’m a woman and have hips. 

20 hours ago, SusanM said:

I bet this has happened to most of us at least once or twice.  For me it was a friend that I had made in high school, she was even my maid of honour at my wedding - and then it just seemed like one day she decided we weren't friends anymore.  I still don't know why.   It really felt like a break up but one where you never get the chance to have your say, or at least to say good-bye.

Yes it has. One of my closest friends from high school ghosted me when I joined the USMC. I wrote letters from boot camp, but never got a letter back. I came home for a brief visit between boot camp and my duty station, couldn't wait to see her so I went over to her house the 2nd day I was home. We had a brief conversation and then she took a phone call, and after 15 minutes I just got up and left and never heard from her again. 

FF to our 20 year high school reunion, I happened to be standing near the entry of the restaurant when she walked in. She gave me a big hug and said "great to see you" and that was the last I spoke to her that evening. 

Eh, it is what it is as they say, I have long since stopped racking my brain to figure out what happened. I have better friends now. 

• Love 1

My wifi was down for 6 1/2 hours today and I had to rely on my phone’s hotspot for internet (so I could work).  Yep, data.  And it also meant that my TV didn’t work nor did the landline (yep, still have that).  6 1/2 hours is way too long! 

On 4/8/2022 at 7:38 PM, Bastet said:

My peeve du jour:  People who announce they're going to pick up their toys and go home as a blatant ploy to see how many "no, don't go" responses they can get, come back the next week, go through the same "I'm outta here" routine the week after that, and on and on.  How can I miss you when you won't go away?

Toys?

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, Leeds said:

Toys?

Sometimes instead expressed as "pick up my ball and go home" -- Whatever the specifics, it refers to someone who is losing a game, so picks up their equipment and flounces home in a huff.

With the game being discourse and thus the equipment being words, it means a poster who's on the wrong side of an online discussion and opts to issue an I'm outta here declaration, garners the desired No, don't go sympathy, returns, and then quickly spews the same stuff, so the pattern resets. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Sometimes instead expressed as "pick up my ball and go home" -- Whatever the specifics, it refers to someone who is losing a game, so picks up their equipment and flounces home in a huff.

With the game being discourse and thus the equipment being words, it means a poster who's on the wrong side of an online discussion and opts to issue an I'm outta here declaration, garners the desired No, don't go sympathy, returns, and then quickly spews the same stuff, so the pattern resets. 

AKA "rage quitting".

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My pet peeve is actually a certain type of woman who gets married and then declares she won't be friends with any females who are single. It's like the 21st century. You don't HAVE to only have married friends once you're married.

Talk about insecure. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Talk about insecure. 

Or the husbands don't want her talking to her friends. I know people who have controlling spouses like that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

This reminds me of the "list of rules" that somebody found

Whoa!

I could give this person the benefit of the doubt by thinking she was cheated on once and wants to insure it won't happen again, but this one seems a tad controlling.  Yeesh!  

• Love 1

If that list is genuine and not someone just having a laugh that directive that he tell her he loves her at least once a day so she knows he isn't messing around indicates it was written by someone either very stupid or very naive.  My sister's ex was the send flowers for no reason kind of guy and it turned out he'd been cheating on her practically from the day of the wedding.  

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, SusanM said:

If that list is genuine and not someone just having a laugh that directive that he tell her he loves her at least once a day so she knows he isn't messing around indicates it was written by someone either very stupid or very naive.  My sister's ex was the send flowers for no reason kind of guy and it turned out he'd been cheating on her practically from the day of the wedding.  

Sonny Corleone was your sister's ex?  Yikes! 😉🤭

• LOL 3
28 minutes ago, SusanM said:

I'm pretty sure that was written by a dude.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

It's good to be single sometimes.

I think this every time I watch some "Dateline" episode or other true crime show featuring a relationship gone horribly wrong. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

So, satirical?  It does sound to me like something someone would have written for a college newspaper.  Desperately trying to be funny.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SusanM said:

My first response to someone saying "I love you" every fucking day would be "Okay, I get it!" but, yeah, my second would be "What did you do?"

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

People who are really friendly then suddenly not. Not referring to being more withdrawn at work when you've had a bad day and things like that. But when you're always super chatty then suddenly have a sour face and don't speak, it can be confusing and make some of us wonder if we did something wrong. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3

Sappy work goodbye emails. Just got an email this morning that said “It is with a heavy heart that I announce (employee) is leaving (company) effective (date).” A heavy heart?? You’re not announcing their funeral or printing an obituary. 

Same on LinkedIn. People writing multi-paragraph essays about how they’re resigning and what an incredible time they had at their employer and thanking people like they’re winning an Oscar. Look, Becky, this isn’t an airport. No need to announce your departure. What happened to “I’m leaving the company on blah date; I learned a lot here and am looking forward to the next chapter. Keep in touch!” (Not like anyone will anyway LOL.) 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Sappy work goodbye emails. Just got an email this morning that said “It is with a heavy heart that I announce (employee) is leaving (company) effective (date).” A heavy heart?? You’re not announcing their funeral or printing an obituary. 

Same on LinkedIn. People writing multi-paragraph essays about how they’re resigning and what an incredible time they had at their employer and thanking people like they’re winning an Oscar. Look, Becky, this isn’t an airport. No need to announce your departure. What happened to “I’m leaving the company on blah date; I learned a lot here and am looking forward to the next chapter. Keep in touch!” (Not like anyone will anyway LOL.) 

Oh, I'm the opposite. Probably because I found good colleagues and attorneys that I worked with/for, so in the past two years, the few that have left, I do keep in touch with, because you never know when you might need them for a reference. Of course I plan on staying where I am, as I love it and it's a good firm.

Also, and this is just my experience, an attorney who left last week, well, in his good-bye email, he specifically mentioned me (along with others) for being "the backbone" of the team, and well, it felt good to have my hard work appreciated, and I can use this in my evaluations as feedback, since he can't complete one for this year. Because, well, he's gone. 

I've always maintained my relationships with the people who have come and gone, and even when I was the one leaving, for various reasons: friendships, networking, and then of course, the handy professional references when I was job seeking, and the potential employers wanted more than "yes, she worked here from x to y" and could speak about my experience, etc.

But, this is your peeve, and I don't mean to take away from it. Shutting up now.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I think I’ve just become jaded over the last several months because so many people have left my department (and I am job searching myself, albeit it’s not going well) that I’m kind of like fine, whatever, send me the virtual greeting card link so I can write my message and let’s move on. And I like my departing coworkers fine. Just that after so many goodbyes I don’t have “a heavy heart” anymore. 

Oh and we’re also not hiring any of these vacancies right now. (Our department head said maybe in a couple months we can.) So I have even less cares to give. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

lol! 

I'm honestly the opposite like GH. Sometimes I get emails about employees I'm not sure if I've ever even met, and I ignore those. But to me leaving a job is a huge deal. It obviously depends on how many hours you're there and how many years it's been. But I've had some really sad goodbyes with coworkers were were incredibly dear to me. And even working remotely now, I have developed friendships with some I would be devastated to say goodbye too. Sometimes you end up visiting more with coworkers than your own family. Sometimes they're easier to open up to. It can be really hard when you're used to seeing someone and joking around with them each day for years on end and they're just gone. 

• Love 1
On 4/16/2022 at 12:51 AM, RealHousewife said:

People who are really friendly then suddenly not. Not referring to being more withdrawn at work when you've had a bad day and things like that. But when you're always super chatty then suddenly have a sour face and don't speak, it can be confusing and make some of us wonder if we did something wrong. 

I've had the opposite with someone, since last week. they made sure to wish me a happy birthday in the comments of a post on facebook. Then they did it again on my facebook wall, and have been more... communicative recently, in general. I don't know why. I haven't asked, because I've had other things on my mind. It just really stuck out when she made sure to wish me happy birthday again, two days later. She is good friends with someone that I had a falling out with - someone who tried to drag me into some drama they caused, and I wanted nothing to do with it, at the end of 2020. 

My sister could turn cold, just like that. One afternoon, I went to her bedroom door, to ask her something, and she just got up, walked to the door, and shut it in my face. She apologized later on (a rare thing for her). 

Peeve = wondering why our vet didn't suggest a neurologist for my dog, last year. Maybe because they were overwhelmed again, because of covid. People were apparently being really nasty to them, late last year, because they were backed up appointment-wise. My dad was just calling and asking to pick up more meds (gabapentin).

A dog rescuer I follow on instagram, has been posting about one dog who has similar issues to mine, but his foster is a lot younger. He said something has been helping him to sleep, which is good "because the poor dog was killing me."  https://www.instagram.com/p/CcgOT50pFww/

Edited by Anela

The crapshoot of buying sweet fruit. I buy a pineapple, do all the 'tricks' to test for ripeness, stick it in the fridge, cut into it and it tastes like candy. Repeat the process and the thing puts itself back on its plant because it's not ripe. Same with melons, berries, etc...

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

The crapshoot of buying sweet fruit. I buy a pineapple, do all the 'tricks' to test for ripeness, stick it in the fridge, cut into it and it tastes like candy. Repeat the process and the thing puts itself back on its plant because it's not ripe. Same with melons, berries, etc...

This is why I always buy 2.

image.png.171322ec422cafeccb2bc269f59597bf.png

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

The avocados that tick me off are the ones that never ripen, just stay hard af, because they were picked too early.  I can't always get to the farmers market (there's only one nearby that's in the afternoons anymore, the rest are mornings, and that's a big nope for me), and I'm so tired of every time I buy grocery store avocados knowing a couple of them are likely going to wind up in the trash.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I usually buy two, too. I usually buy my cantaloupes at Costco, a 2pk for $4. One is amazing, one is WTF is this flavorless orange nonsense (not COVID, just a flavorless melon).

Produce wise, I've been finding avocados at Target for 75cents (cheap!) and pineapple for $1.75/ea

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Lemme link you to a post of mine from about a month ago detailing an experiment that changed my life. I just repeated it with another batch of avocados, and it worked like a charm again. (Post is about 2/3 of the way down the page--I don't know if it's possible to link to a specific post.)

• Love 1

I usually buy between 6-10 avocados at a time, depending on when I think I'll next grocery shop.  That's mostly because I use a lot of them, but also because I know there's a chance they won't all wind up being edible.  (It's rare to find a ripe one in the stores, they're either hard or mushy, so I buy the hard ones and hope for the best.)  I'd love to plant an avocado tree, but with the citrus trees I already have, I don't have a particularly good spot for one.

On 4/14/2022 at 3:06 PM, peacheslatour said:

But the dude who may have written this doesn't sound to me like the type of guy who'd be OK being called "Princess," haha! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
6 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

But the dude who may have written this doesn't sound to me like the type of guy who'd be OK being called "Princess," haha! 

It says "when I tell you to jump, you say 'how high Princess?' "  "She" wants HIM to call Her Princess.

• Useful 1

Oh dear -- haha, I am a dumb! Carry on! Also, with this in mind, I may need to log out of work early based on my lack of comprehension today!

That said, I am curious about this Austin character's role in all this!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh dear -- haha, I am a dumb! Carry on! Also, with this in mind, I may need to log out of work early based on my lack of comprehension today!

That said, I am curious about this Austin character's role in all this!

I'm more curious about this "Keegan" character. He must never be alone with him nor go anywhere near his house? Hmm...

• LOL 1
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Huge Pet Peeve. Perfectly describes my experience trying to get on Medicare.

image.thumb.png.fed733738f08f17313af3627e603c7ac.png

My sister was complaining about that very thing today on the phone just an hour ago. She says Medicare wants to know the exact day her husband started the job he's worked at for 26 years. I told her I don't think they're going to have Sherlock Holmes checking her answers, so she can probably give them a ballpark estimate. Then she can blame me if she gets denied.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

My sister was complaining about that very thing today on the phone just an hour ago. She says Medicare wants to know the exact day her husband started the job he's worked at for 26 years. I told her I don't think they're going to have Sherlock Holmes checking her answers, so she can probably give them a ballpark estimate. Then she can blame me if she gets denied.

Really? That's insane. WTF does the have to do with her Medicare?