Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

On 12/19/2021 at 2:44 PM, Bastet said:

Gas is like electricity; it's nowhere near as dangerous as people fear, but so few have been taught when it is, it's better for the authorities to just say "don't touch it" or "don't light anything".

There is an entire generation who grew up thinking if you got in a minor fender bender, or bumped the curb while parking your car!would!explode! (Thanks, CHiPs!)

I know it's not the same, but gas goes BOOM! Electricity goes sparky spark fire.

• Love 1

People who take the time and energy to write notes to people that park wrong/awkwardly and stick it on their cars. I WAS INSIDE THE LINES OKAY? THE CAR NEXT TO ME WAS ABLE  TO REVERSE/GET OUT PERFECTLY FINE. CHILL!

Look, I'm not accusing the new neighbors of anything (we moved to a new townhouse/gated community two months ago), but there was an asshole note on my car sometime between Monday evening and today, and when I tried to drive out today to go to my job my tire light came on and my front passenger tire was completely flat. I had to drive a family member's car to my dog-sitting gig and will have to deal with AAA in the morning. 

Not accusing. Just sayin'...

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 1

If this👆was my situation, @bilgistic, I would use my gastrointestinal problem as an excuse not to go. I mean, it seems the odds of your contracting a “mild” case of Covid at that gathering are at least 50/50.

But if I did go, I’d wear one of my KN95 masks 😷 and try to sit near an open window when eating.

However, I haven’t dated since my divorce 30+ years ago, so my choices are already different from yours.

But I think I think we can all agree that you should do what you feel comfortable with. 

• Love 8

How do appliances, despite not being sentient beings, always know when it's a fucking holiday?  Because that's an ideal time to break down, when I'm already busier than a one-legged woman in a butt kicking contest and holiday closures will make it harder to get any necessary parts in a timely fashion (that's before adding on the lovely supply chain issues).

My garbage disposal refused to work the day before I was leaving for Thanksgiving, so I had to deal with that when I got back.  Now my refrigerator has decided it doesn't want to, you know, keep food cold.  So I moved the most perishable stuff to the mini fridge in my bonus room, but there's only so much room in there and, best yet, that doesn't reach optimum temperature either because it needs a new thermistor (again; the second one since I bought it to crap out) and I haven't prioritized it since that's my hang out with friends spot and I haven't been hanging out for nearly two years now.

I've identified the problem, and I'm crossing my fingers I've done enough of a temporary fix to get some cold enough air circulating again, but to properly troubleshoot what in the defrost system is malfunctioning and thus fix the problem for good I need time - and fridge/freezer space to transfer my food to, since I need to turn the whole damn thing off for a day or two to thoroughly thaw and dry coils - I simply do not have right now.

And, so help me, if I wake up tomorrow to find my temporary fix didn't work and I lost a shit ton of food ...

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

People who take the time and energy to write notes to people that park wrong/awkwardly and stick it on their cars.

I did that once, in a hotel parking lot.  The back tire of church van that parked next to me was over the line, though, and the van itself was very crooked -- I had to get in my car on the passenger side and crawl over the stick shift.  Backing out was challenging (backing up in a car is challenging  for me under the best of circumstances).  I left a note that said, "How would Jesus park?  A damn sight better than you!"

• LOL 15
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But I think I think we can all agree that you should do what you feel comfortable with. 

I second this.

Also, why is it that people always pick the good, nice people to pressure or bully into doing stuff they don't want to? I don't mean your case specifically, @bilgistic , since I don't know the details, but in general. People that are either dicks, or just tend to be more assertive about their needs and what they are comfortable with don't usually get as much bothered by family members, colleagues, or other people that we are supposed to "socialize" with even if we don't want to. At least that's my experience.

I mean, I know why, it's much easier and those who do the pressuring know they are more likely to get the result they want, I just really don't like it.

• Love 2

I appreciate y'all's responses and sympathy, truly. I feel like I have to go and am going because it's really important to my boyfriend (let's call him "G") and his family, and they are so very kind to me. G and I started dating in August 2019, and I went with him to his family's for Christmas four months later. They had gifts for me. I was so touched. They welcomed me into the family immediately. I was like, is this what it's like for families who love each other?

My parents split when I was five, and my Christmases had always been contentious—a hurried Christmas morning at home and then shuffling off across town to spend basically the one very awkward time per year we saw my birth father. There were often arguments and/or screaming matches. I felt guilted into continuing to go to my father's until his parents passed. So since then, I could take or leave Christmas.

In other riveting news in the bilgistic household, the complaint to the Better Business Bureau about the needed repairs in my apartment worked! Within a week or two of filing the complaint, the dishwasher was fixed, and they started repairing bathroom ceiling. It looks like crap and isn't mold remediated (they didn't take down the ceiling drywall and treat the beams), but it's...progress? I dreamed that there was water leaking through the ceiling, which is probably going to happen again in real life.

The complaint response said that they fixed the "receptacle", which I guess meant the kitchen outlet with the short, but no one came on a day I was working from home. Maintenance also doesn't leave a written record of work performed, so how would I know? I responded to the company's response as such.

• Love 9

I cannot believe this. My whole adult life, I've watched everyone I know get called for jury duty. Husband's done it twice, I think. One friend served six times. And I've always said, "Gee, I wish I'd get called." But I never did. Till now. During the plague.

For the past two years, I've taken every damn precaution to keep from getting sick. And beyond. We disinfected our groceries, put off social interactions, supplied masks and gloves to repairmen when we had to have them come into the house. I'm lucky to be able to work from home, so I haven't had the issues that so many of you have had to deal with. And now, after all that, I'm supposed to go sit in a room all day with a bunch of strangers and at least one criminal while the most contagious variant of the virus is floating through the air? Not gonna do it.

I may fake my own death.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

at least one criminal

one alleged criminal.  Isn't that the point of jury duty?

22 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I may fake my own death.

If you're going to go the Juliet route make sure your husband if fully aware beforehand.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I'm FURIOUS. G's nephew and his fiance (early 20s) aren't vaccinated. They both work at a car dealership with people all day, every day. They obviously don't care about G's father's poor health nor anyone else. I can't get back the catsitting charges now because the appointments start tomorrow.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because that's an ideal time to break down, when I'm already busier than a one-legged woman in a butt kicking contest

LOL, something about this turn of phrase transcends any objections regarding taste and tickles me pink. Brava!

2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I cannot believe this. My whole adult life, I've watched everyone I know get called for jury duty. Husband's done it twice, I think. One friend served six times. And I've always said, "Gee, I wish I'd get called." But I never did. Till now. During the plague.

For the past two years, I've taken every damn precaution to keep from getting sick. And beyond. We disinfected our groceries, put off social interactions, supplied masks and gloves to repairmen when we had to have them come into the house. I'm lucky to be able to work from home, so I haven't had the issues that so many of you have had to deal with. And now, after all that, I'm supposed to go sit in a room all day with a bunch of strangers and at least one criminal while the most contagious variant of the virus is floating through the air? Not gonna do it.

I may fake my own death.

I too have always thought I would like to serve on a jury, but the 3 times I was called I wound up writing letters that got me out of it before I was even required to show up. Twice I was breastfeeding babies, and the third time was a combination of crapoloa including a teen that was This Close to becoming addicted to oxy after wisdom tooth surgery. 

Anyhoo, I suggest to at least try writing a letter ASAP, and then rereading it a couple of times and editing it before mailing it. 
If you do send a letter (or maybe it's email or an online form now?) be sure that the first sentence is the main reason you cannot serve. Don't waste that first sentence with pleasantries because they might not get to the second sentence.
And if it's a Covid-related reason, be sure to have a secondary effect of getting Covid that is not typical. 
I don't know. 
Maybe like:
I need to help my grandmother who is

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

a one-legged woman in a butt kicking contest

or at least something equally unique.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I may fake my own death.

Did the summons arrive registered mail? Are you sure you even got it?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

Most jurisdictions allow for postponement of jury duty, but it's usually only for a few months, and I doubt it's going to be any healthier to marinate indoors with strangers all day then.

I got called right after the courts re-opened.  Hello, I am not even making in-person appearances as a lawyer, and you think I'm going to come sit there all day only to be dismissed even if I get on a panel (because, depending on the type of case, my work as a civil rights lawyer usually means the prosecution doesn't want me, or on rare occasions the defense).  Thankfully, my group never had to report, so after calling in for five days, I had fulfilled my duty for a year. 

My refrigerator was nice and cool when I got up this morning, so my temporary fix indeed did the job, and I'll deal with it for good next week.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

My refrigerator was nice and cool when I got up this morning, so my temporary fix indeed did the job, and I'll deal with it for good next week.

If you have freezer room, maybe pick up a bag or 2 of ice to temporarily turn your fridge into an ice box if needed during the holidays while waiting for a repairperson——which you hopefully won't need!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If you have freezer room, maybe pick up a bag or 2 of ice to temporarily turn your fridge into an ice box if needed during the holidays while waiting for a repairperson——which you hopefully won't need!

Oh, I am the repair person, so I'm waiting on myself; I just need to have the time to delve into it.  Now that I solved the immediate issue, I don't have to think about it anymore right now.  And, no, no freezer space for a bunch of ice, but when I need to empty it and turn it off, I can put most everything in the fridge/freezer of my parents' motorhome, and just keep daily essentials out in my tiny game room refrigerator (no freezer, but it has an icemaker, so I could use the ice bin as a very small bit of freezer storage).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

When you start a thread excited for responses but don't get any. lol I really wanted amazing romantic movie recommendations, haha

I'm sorry! I didn't even see your post. My favorite movies tend to be from the thirties and forties and some fifties. If that sounds good to you, I can list a bunch of them.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I may fake my own death.

Is it call-in or do you have to show up in person? In CA call in means you call in for 5 days to see if you have to report (or until they tell you you don't have to call back) but going in as one-and-done. 

4 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Right. And shouldn't that kind of bias automatically disqualify me?

They're really good about sussing out people trying to get out of jury duty.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I would not recommend this path. A missed jury summons can land you in jail, depending on where you live.

I'd recommend following the process to postpone.

• Love 4

I was foreperson on the first jury trial in our city after they reopened for same in August 2020.  Any misgivings I had were quickly allayed, after observing the precautions being taken.  There were two people assigned to the hallway where those called to potentially serve waited to enter the courtroom for voir dire.  Their job was to sanitize every door handle, chair, etc. used by anyone.  They entered bathrooms after use to sanitize, etc.  It was a 6-person jury, so there were at least 12 of us, maybe 18.  Once we entered the courtroom, we were seated at least six ft apart, all masked of course.  The entire process from soup to nuts took about eight hours.  It was an interesting experience, and I'm glad I participated.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I was foreperson on the first jury trial in our city after they reopened for same in August 2020.  Any misgivings I had were quickly allayed, after observing the precautions being taken.  There were two people assigned to the hallway where those called to potentially serve waited to enter the courtroom for voir dire.  Their job was to sanitize every door handle, chair, etc. used by anyone.  They entered bathrooms after use to sanitize, etc.  It was a 6-person jury, so there were at least 12 of us, maybe 18.  Once we entered the courtroom, we were seated at least six ft apart, all masked of course.  The entire process from soup to nuts took about eight hours.  It was an interesting experience, and I'm glad I participated.

My mom loved jury duty. She said it was fascinating.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm sorry! I didn't even see your post. My favorite movies tend to be from the thirties and forties and some fifties. If that sounds good to you, I can list a bunch of them.

Aw no reason to be sorry! 😀It's a thread in Everything Else Movies, so not a ton of activity there. I was looking for everyone's all-time favorite romantic movie, stuff along the lines of Titanic or The Notebook or even Pretty Woman. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Aw no reason to be sorry! 😀It's a thread in Everything Else Movies, so not a ton of activity there. I was looking for everyone's all-time favorite romantic movie, stuff along the lines of Titanic or The Notebook or even Pretty Woman. 

I don't have anything like that. I think Casablanca is romantic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Pretty Woman is on my list, though I would never admit it in a Mensa meeting, though not a member. 😏

An Affair To Remember, The Notebook, Murphy's Romance come to mind...

To drag this back to topic, I'm peeved that I can't remember more romance movies that I've enjoyed.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Probably a better topic for the Chit-Chat thread, but, while we're at it, the favorite of my only daughter who likes romance movies was "Dirty Dancing."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

There is already a thread for Romantic Comedies and one for Romantic Dramas in the Movies forum, so maybe that's why the new thread didn't get responses.  (I saw the poll and voted "Other" since I hate Titanic with the heat of a nova and only liked the Gena Rowlands/James Garner scenes in The Notebook when I watched parts of it on TV.)  Try asking in those.  (As you'll see from my scattered posts there, romance is very much not my genre, but there are some big fans in those Movies threads, especially of romantic comedies.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

When you start a thread excited for responses but don't get any. lol I really wanted amazing romantic movie recommendations, haha

I don't know if this is considered a romantic movie, exactly, but have you ever seen the movie Laura?  It's one of my all time favourites and it's sort of a love story.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

10 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I would not recommend this path. A missed jury summons can land you in jail, depending on where you live.

Are you familiar with USPS Informed Delivery? Well, if you're not, it's something on the USPS web site you can sign up for that shows you what mail & packages are coming to you. You also get an email sent to you every day. The mail pieces are all scanned, so you can see exactly what it is. So one day my email comes & I see a jury summons. There's only one side scanned, so I know it's a jury summons, but I have no idea for when. I know it will be delivered to me within a week, so I wait. And wait. No jury summons ever arrives. I ended up calling the court clerk & they were very nice & gave me all the info I needed, so I was able to take care of it, but can you imagine if I didn't have informed Delivery? I wouldn't have had any idea that I had been summoned & then what? How many people said they never received the summons and weren't lying?

I'm so done with people using the word "woke" as some kind of insult, as in, "This show is trying too hard to be "woke"." I'm hardly the authority on this, but I follow several Black authors and activists on Instagram, and no one I'm seeing is using the word in its original definition anymore. It's now used as an "insult" (by white people; newsflash: I'm white), and it's fucking tired and yet another appropriation of Black/minority culture to use it as an insult.

I'll probably get yet another ban for stating my "controversial/political" opinion on this.🥴

• Love 12
1 minute ago, bilgistic said:

I'm so done with people using the word "woke" as some kind of insult, as in, "This show is trying too hard to be "woke"." I'm hardly the authority on this, but I follow several Black authors and activists on Instagram, and no one I'm seeing is using the word in its original definition anymore. It's now used as an "insult" (by white people; newsflash: I'm white), and it's fucking tired and yet another appropriation of Black/minority culture to use it as an insult.

I'll probably get yet another ban for stating my "controversial/political" opinion on this.🥴

“Woke” is the new “politically correct.”

• Love 7

Did I mention that my 19-year-old niece has PINWORMS?!? So, YEAH, I'm not going to my sister's house on Christmas day either, since the last thing my gut needs is a parasite!

She says the doctor thinks she got it from "a grimy kid at the restaurant where she works." I'm trying to work out the logistics. Like, was that kid all up in his butt and then touching his fork and then my niece touched the fork and then her mouth? Does she not wash her hands ever? I'm so grossed out by all of it!!

I would have to burn down the house.

• LOL 2
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I’m a single lady and rarely do tons of shopping at once. I constantly end up in line behind someone with 100 items. I know it’s inevitable but definitely a pet peeve.

My peeve here is I always end up behind someone with a full cart who is using coupons for every darn thing in the cart!  Best thing about this pandemic has been the way they've regulated the line up in our local grocery store where you don't queue up behind any particular check out line, there is one line and you get directed to the the check out line that frees up first.  I wish the stores would keep this practice going forward!

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I agree. I already disliked terms SJW and snowflake (I love snow, lol). And even if it was supposed to describe media that is bringing attention to social issues and mistreatment of minorities, it's still often misused with those that barely mention anything like that. Stuff is now called woke if it just features a female protagonist, or a protagonist of color. It's like some people's mindsets have regressed in past few years.

New peeve: It snowed last night for about 10 minutes and then it turned to rain. 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

It was an interesting experience, and I'm glad I participated.

I thought that the very first lines of my post were pretty clear about my enthusiasm for participating. If I could've called up and volunteered for jury duty, I would have, but everyone told me that wasn't done. It's not my lack of enthusiasm, it's my not wanting to be locked in a sealed-from-the-cold room with people I don't know for who knows how long.

And by the way, I wasn't the one who said that the criminal in the room was the defendant. That was the assumption of the poster who called me out. So . . .

19 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Is it call-in or do you have to show up in person?

My husband said last time he served that he had to phone in every morning. Time before that he actually went in. Who knows how they're doing it now.

If we had adequate internet service here, there wouldn't be any problem. But I'm sure there are people in our county who have no connection at all.

19 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

They're really good about sussing out people trying to get out of jury duty.

I was kidding. I'm not really going to fake my own death. I'm just going to fake faking my own death. It's the nuance that confuses them. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

My husband said last time he served that he had to phone in every morning. Time before that he actually went in. Who knows how they're doing it now.

If we had adequate internet service here, there wouldn't be any problem. But I'm sure there are people in our county who have no connection at all.

The summons will tell you if it's call-in or show up. I would hope, with COVID, that call-in is the default. I've never heard of a jury summons that requires internet connection?

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I've never heard of a jury summons that requires internet connection?

I'm the one who failed to make the connection. I meant that voire-dire or whatever could be done via Zoom if the jury pool overall had decent internet.

25 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

The summons will tell you if it's call-in or show up.

It's not titled a summons. They call it a questionnaire, I guess getting all that info to fatten you up for the actual summons. But it doesn't say anything either way re call-in or in-person.

I really must be lacking in imagination. I work on so many crime novels and thrillers, you'd think by now I could figure out how to hide in a sewer system or find a disgraced plastic surgeon to change my appearance. But no . . .

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I agree. I already disliked terms SJW and snowflake (I love snow, lol). 

The ironic part is that the people who mockingly call others "sensitive snowflakes" tend to be the most easily offended and upset when their opinions are called out. It's pure projection on their part. 

New peeve: It snowed last night for about 10 minutes and then it turned to rain. 

No snow here at all. It's supposed to be near 50 degrees today here. If I wanted to live somewhere with no snow and warm(er) temperatures this time of year, I'd go live in the south. I want my cold weather and snow!

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I really must be lacking in imagination. I work on so many crime novels and thrillers, you'd think by now I could figure out how to hide in a sewer system or find a disgraced plastic surgeon to change my appearance. But no . . .

Face swap! Or, better yet, find a Capt. Kirk Halloween mask, flip it inside out and everyone will run from you.

Edited by theredhead77
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I've never heard of a jury summons that requires internet connection?

Me neither, but you never know these days. 

If you've ever watched Court Cam over the past year or so, you'll see that all sorts of procedures are being done via Zoom--arraignments, bail hearings, etc., etc. Seems like an excellent way to do jury selection during a pandemic. Even not during a pandemic, especially in places where snow and ice can prevent people from traveling a lot of the year. Or to spare people from having to drive an hour just to be turned around and told to go home after five minutes at the courthouse.

Okay, enough of my jury crap. I'm starting to bore myself. COVID might be a better alternative.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

The ironic part is that the people who mockingly call others "sensitive snowflakes" tend to be the most easily offended and upset when their opinions are called out. It's pure projection on their part. 

I've noticed this too. 

One woman I know complains a lot about how PC we all have to be and victimhood this and that, very dismissive of what minorities go through. But she will scream bloody murder over anything that has to do with her, even when it's not even a big deal. Let's say she's one of those war on Christmas types.

Then another man I've worked for awhile (though nicer) also complains about the current culture and why's everyone so sensitive, but he literally reports everyone for everything.

I can admit to being sensitive, and I've noticed those who can't aren't just sensitive, they're massive snowflakes. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I've noticed this too. 

One woman I know complains a lot about how PC we all have to be and victimhood this and that, very dismissive of what minorities go through. But she will scream bloody murder over anything that has to do with her, even when it's not even a big deal. Let's say she's one of those war on Christmas types.

Then another man I've worked for awhile (though nicer) also complains about the current culture and why's everyone so sensitive, but he literally reports everyone for everything.

I can admit to being sensitive, and I've noticed those who can't aren't just sensitive, they're massive snowflakes. 

I know some people who are always going on about "cancel culture" but they are usually in favor of banning all the things.

• Love 5

The mention of "war on Christmas" triggered a remembered social media peeve....

I have a few FB friends who have spent the past several days posting memes mocking people who complain about the "war on Christmas" and saying it's a pagan holiday anyway, etc. But here's the thing, I've don't really see anyone actually complaining. And I have a ton of FB friends who would definitely fit that demographic. I just want to tell them, if these posts about the supposed "war on Christmas" are so irritating to you, unfollow that person, or tell THEM about it in their comments. But don't fill MY feed with negativity and mockery. It's to the point where I feel like they're saying I'm stupid for celebrating the holiday at all.

So my overall peeve is people who complain about a thing louder than the original thing. Most of the time, they're just giving the thing a megaphone. I almost never hear about whatever the scandal or social media faux pas of the day is. I hear about the backlash, or the backlash to the backlash. Roll your eyes and let it go.

And yes, I should take my own advice and hide them. I did unfollow virtually everyone for two years, and it was nice, but I really lost touch with people. Some people really make zero effort outside of FB anymore to communicate, so if you want to see pictures of their kids and things, that's the only way. A pet peeve of its own.

And yes, I'm aware that I'm complaining about complainers in a thread for complaints! Ha!

• LOL 6