Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, GaT said:

I don't mind raisins, they're good as snacks & if someone offers me a cookie with raisins, I'll happily eat it, but in potato salad??????? That is so gross. There is a Jewish holiday dish called Kugel that is made with noodles. And raisins. It's supposed to be so delicious, but I think it's just disgusting. Noodles & raisins are a hard pass for me.

I remember those! I miss them too, they were delicious.

I loved these.  Why do they always take away the good stuff?

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My pet peeve is people who complain about the "war on Christmas." I just got some groceries today and the aisles were stacked with Christmas-themed cookies. How is there a War on Christmas when nonstop Christmas stuff starts well before Thanksgiving?

I'm right there with you. What do these people want? Merry Christmas all year long? A ban of "Happy Holidays"? 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, GaT said:

There is a Jewish holiday dish called Kugel that is made with noodles. And raisins. It's supposed to be so delicious, but I think it's just disgusting.

Noodle kugel is disgusting. Potato kugel tastes like latkahs and farfel kugle is amazing. Source: my mother's cooking.

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Noodle kugel is disgusting. Potato kugel tastes like latkahs and farfel kugle is amazing. Source: my mother's cooking.

Once I had the noodle kind, I never tried any other, it just ruined me for life LOL

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, GaT said:

Once I had the noodle kind, I never tried any other, it just ruined me for life LOL

I don't normally suggest people eat something they have stated they dislike; however, the other kugels are completely different from each other, and from that dumpster fire called "noodle kugel". If you have the opportunity to try potato or farfel kugel give it a shot. It's like fruit cake vs chocolate cake vs a trifle. All "cake like" (if by name) but not remotely similar.

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm right there with you. What do these people want? Merry Christmas all year long? A ban of "Happy Holidays"? 

Idk but every year a few people on my social media show off their tree and ornaments and says "this is what we say to those who want to cancel Christmas." Blah blah blah. And I'm like dude, it's not even Thanksgiving and I am up to my eyeballs in Christmas themed stuff in stores. My workplace is already doing the Christmas ugly sweater competition. There is no war on Christmas.

• Love 7

13 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Idk but every year a few people on my social media show off their tree and ornaments and says "this is what we say to those who want to cancel Christmas." Blah blah blah. And I'm like dude, it's not even Thanksgiving and I am up to my eyeballs in Christmas themed stuff in stores. My workplace is already doing the Christmas ugly sweater competition. There is no war on Christmas.

They think there is a ban on "Merry Christmas". No, asshat, there is an constantly growing number of people who realize there are numerous holidays during the "holiday season" and "Happy Holidays" is a very easy way to wish someone happiness during this season. I send a "thank you for all your help" note to the support teams that save my ass year round and in it I wish them a happy [insert your holiday of choice here] at the end. One dude gets all uppity about it and replies "I celebrate Christmas", so I responded, Merry Christmas, to you, [name].

I think this year I'm just going to wish everyone a Happy Festivus, even when it isn't Festivus.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

There are Christmas movies on now .. about four channels.  All new ones .. all the same with unknown actors.  It’s just too much, too soon.  I love all the old standard Christmas movies.  The new ones are very sappy.  Girl comes home, meets a high school crush at the post office, gets married.  Dripping with snappiness. Lol.  All the same, new faces.  Hallmark is the worst.  Danika McKellar, Lacy Sherbert or whoever and the other blonde what’s her face.  Cameron something.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My pet peeve is people who complain about the "war on Christmas." I just got some groceries today and the aisles were stacked with Christmas-themed cookies. How is there a War on Christmas when nonstop Christmas stuff starts well before Thanksgiving?

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! THANK YOU!!! It is a huge peeve of mine (not the timing, but the supposed war we have to hear certain people whine about every year…which, in turn, causes me to whine about them every year). There is no war on Christmas!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 9

My father once made Kugel. I tasted it and said it was too sweet and didn't have any. I think I hurt his feelings.🙁
Mom made latkes a couple of times and served them with apple sauce. I liked that.

My sister is sending me fruitcake this year, and I really am looking forward to it.

I like to watch a Christmas Tee Vee movie or 2 each year as a sort of palate cleanser after watching something a little too creepy or serious, but they can be too "sweet" too, like the Kugel.

I think most Christmas gift obsessing is the opposite of Christian concepts of caring for the poor. 
Where can I sign up for the War on that Christmas?

I do enjoy hearing, humming or singing Christmas music. 

I saw a menorah in Wegman's this week and thought of getting it. I teared up a bit because both of my parents are gone now.

I'm a little culturally mixed up.

I like raisins.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Re: People who claim there's a war on Christmas. Get back to me when a religious holiday is no longer a national holiday.

Absolutely agree with you.  One of my cousins is a Christmas fanatic and my peeve with her is the way, since even before Halloween, she's been the Christmas Queen of FB and keeps making defensive posts basically telling people "if you don't like that I love Christmas shut the hell up about it".  So no one is "allowed" to say that perhaps, just maybe, putting up Christmas tree in OCTOBER is kinda ridiculous.  So essentially any comment on Christmas excess is a war on Christmas and people trying to take away someone else's good time.

I'd never say anything to the Christmas obsessed person personally but I absolutely reserve the right to think putting up a Christmas tree in OCTOBER is Not A Good Idea!

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, kristen111 said:

There are Christmas movies on now .. about four channels.  All new ones .. all the same with unknown actors.  It’s just too much, too soon.  I love all the old standard Christmas movies.  The new ones are very sappy.  Girl comes home, meets a high school crush at the post office, gets married.  Dripping with snappiness. Lol.  All the same, new faces.  Hallmark is the worst.  Danika McKellar, Lacy Sherbert or whoever and the other blonde what’s her face.  Cameron something.

image.png.eebc9939c714d1c23c1f11e8880fc255.png

• LOL 17
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

image.png.eebc9939c714d1c23c1f11e8880fc255.png

Hah! I was just skimming this and read (only slightly incorrectly): "The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker..." (as in the old nursery rhyme: wikipedia.org/wiki/Rub-a-dub-dub).
And then I realized the NetFlix Christmas Movie I had watched the other night at my daughter's urging, "Love Hard," actually had a frickin Candlestick Maker as the prince true love!

She had texted to me that she laughed throughout the movie (and then cried at the end).
About half way through I was going to text her to ask: When does the laughing start? 
But I restrained myself from raining on her parade, so to speak. She's still weaning herself from the Bachelor and Bachelorette shows. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Hah! I was just skimming this and read (only slightly incorrectly): "The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker..." (as in the old nursery rhyme: wikipedia.org/wiki/Rub-a-dub-dub).
And then I realized the NetFlix Christmas Movie I had watched the other night at my daughter's urging, "Love Hard," actually had a frickin Candlestick Maker as the prince true love!

She had texted to me that she laughed throughout the movie (and then cried at the end).
About half way through I was going to text her to ask: When does the laughing start? 
But I restrained myself from raining on her parade, so to speak. She's still weaning herself from the Bachelor and Bachelorette shows. 

My DH watches every crappy Christmas movie he can. I can't stand them and he won't let me make sarcastic remarks so I watch other things in another room or fuck around on the internet. Bleh.

• LOL 2
46 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My DH watches every crappy Christmas movie he can. I can't stand them and he won't let me make sarcastic remarks so I watch other things in another room or fuck around on the internet. Bleh.

I like watching exactly one (no more) corny Christmas movie from Hallmark, Lifetime or something like that each year.  And not until after Thanksgiving!!!!!!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Absolutely agree with you.  One of my cousins is a Christmas fanatic and my peeve with her is the way, since even before Halloween, she's been the Christmas Queen of FB and keeps making defensive posts basically telling people "if you don't like that I love Christmas shut the hell up about it".  So no one is "allowed" to say that perhaps, just maybe, putting up Christmas tree in OCTOBER is kinda ridiculous.  So essentially any comment on Christmas excess is a war on Christmas and people trying to take away someone else's good time.

I'd never say anything to the Christmas obsessed person personally but I absolutely reserve the right to think putting up a Christmas tree in OCTOBER is Not A Good Idea!

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I like watching exactly one (no more) corny Christmas movie from Hallmark, Lifetime or something like that each year.  And not until after Thanksgiving!!!!!!

The only one I watch is Danika McKellar, a maid, who goes to another country to be a nanny.  She winds up marrying the Prince.  She borrows a red dress from the cook to attend the Christmas Ball and winds up marrying the Prince.  Then,I cry.  My next favorite is “Holiday in Handcuffs” with Melissa Joan Hart and Mario Lopez.  Love them both and have it on my DVR.  So cute.  BTW it’s on this year on the “Free” channel.  That’s it. Lol.

• Love 1
On 11/11/2021 at 8:28 AM, shapeshifter said:

Most recent peeve:

Being required to send a FAX that includes my name, birth date and address in order to get medical records (CDs of imaging) sent to the medical facilities where I am now living. 

How on earth does that not potentially violate HIPAA more than, say, uploading a PDF of the request to the EPIC system (that all major health care facilities are seemingly now using--at least in Illinois and NY), and why on earth in the EPIC system can I not select the Radiology department to send a message to with my request attached???

are you requesting your medical records or is another facility? Either way you should be sent to you by fedex or USPS.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nicmar said:

are you requesting your medical records or is another facility? Either way you should be sent to you by fedex or USPS.

The radiology department in Illinois insists that I personally request
  --only by FAX, with my name, address, and birth date--
that my records be sent to the facility in NY, where I am now living. No other option.

Then Illinois is going to mail by USPS --no other options-- the CDs of my images to the radiology department in NY.

So stupid. Takes so long. So annoyed. 

And don't get me started on how much I hate Home Depot.
Excuse me.
The Home Depot.
No. Wait.
Make that:
   The M@#$er F$%^&*ing Home Depot.
(I can type that because I am a mother with whom they are screwing.)

• LOL 2
43 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And don't get me started on how much I hate Home Depot.
Excuse me.
The Home Depot.
No. Wait.
Make that:
   The M@#$er F$%^&*ing Home Depot.
(I can type that because I am a mother with whom they are screwing.)

Or as I like to call them, Home Despot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

This is fantastic. When I was a young child watching Sesame Street, Oscar the Grouch was my favorite character, which really tells you all you need to know about me.

Same here.  I had an Oscar stuffed animal; I loved the little green grouch.

• Love 4
On 11/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, TattleTeeny said:

So, Petco tends to overstuff the bags when you do curbside pickup. It’s annoying (but not a gigantic peeve—probably because the convenience of curbside cancels it out a little—though it is annoying that they use such flimsy bags.*). Today, the girl who brought it to me proudly told me that she doubled up. But the inside bag’s handles were tied together! Meaning that the weight that the outside bag was carrying was exactly the same, rendering her effort moot! (I will note that her way is definitely far less annoying than when they tightly tie two overstuffed bags together so that they’re nearly impossible to get into the house.)

*When I go in the store myself, I bring reusable
bags. Today was not one of those times.

I order from Petco online and they seem to use the ship from individual stores to fulfill orders model like some other stores do. Each store they've sent stuff from has packaged things in different ways.

I got one small box filled to the brim with 12 cans of cat food and 12 tiny individual 1.75oz packs of cat food all dumped in there together with no packaging or padding. The two cat foods come in packs of 12 so it made no sense to dump all the stuff like that. The only thing I could guess was a lack of boxes or something. A few weeks earlier I received a 12 pack of the aforementioned cans not in a shipping box but just a plastic shipping bag. With the bag I was really surprised there were only a couple of slightly dented cans. 

On 11/13/2021 at 2:50 PM, bilgistic said:

Appliance peeve: we are out of a dishwasher for the second time in a year. The current one was installed last December. The complex spent maybe $100 on it, which is probably why it lasted 11 whole months. Apparently, the "actuator" melted, which is why it smelled like burning rubber when I ran the dishwasher Thursday night. Then it wouldn't run through the cycles, didn't drain and proceeded to leak onto the floor. Now there's several inches of dirty water in the bottom of the dishwasher.

And now, because of supply chain issues, who knows if the maintenance guy will be able to get the part.

There's also something going on with the wiring in the kitchen, but the maintenance guy didn't believe me. When I tried restarting the dishwasher at one point Thursday night, it tripped a separate kitchen circuit. He said it had nothing to do with the "renovations" the shitty contractors did in June, and yet, I didn't have any trouble with my hand blender—or the dishwasher—tripping the circuit until then.

In an exciting update (no, still no dishwasher), I ordered an inexpensive new hand blender on the off chance that my existing one might be dying. I'd inherited my current blender from my stepdad's father 20-plus years ago. The new one arrived today but without any beaters.

My boyfriend and my mom actually asked me if the blender was supposed to come with the beaters. Yes. Yes, it was. It has one job.

Edited by bilgistic

I am peeved at recipe websites/cooking blogs that do not have a “jump to recipe” button at the top of the page.  I loathe having to scroll pass 39 pictures, 183 ads and a 5 paragraph story of the “adorable” conversation your “amazing kiddo” had with the guy at the farmers market,  just to get to a recipe with 7 ingredients and 6 steps.  In fact, I usually just back out of any page without the jump button.

• Love 16
22 hours ago, kristen111 said:

My next favorite is “Holiday in Handcuffs” with Melissa Joan Hart and Mario Lopez.

This is my all-time favorite Christmas movie, it's funny, the characters are believable and well, Markie Post is awesome in everything. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I am peeved at recipe websites/cooking blogs that do not have a “jump to recipe” button at the top of the page.  I loathe having to scroll pass 39 pictures, 183 ads and a 5 paragraph story of the “adorable” conversation your “amazing kiddo” had with the guy at the farmers market,  just to get to a recipe with 7 ingredients and 6 steps.  In fact, I usually just back out of any page without the jump button.

You are not alone in this peeve. 

image.thumb.png.83c398179a98f45406110e0822f1a766.png

On the same idea of the "skip to recipe" button, I have learned to click on the "print recipe" button and then bookmark THAT address. Never again will I have to scroll down to get to that recipe.

ETA:

I just spent some time browsing through the search results of "Recipe Blog Meme."  I highly recommend doing the same. People are funny...

image.png.a39fe6b8a9a0a38709883e8a5889830c.png

• LOL 14
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

This is my all-time favorite Christmas movie, it's funny, the characters are believable and well, Markie Post is awesome in everything. 

Yes.  RIP Markie Post.  I watch this movie all year round.

10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Safari on the new iPhone update. 

What do you mean?  I know zip about my i phone.  Yesterday I lost all my texts, in and out.  This morning, they were magically back.. WTF ?  I figured it had something to do with the tornado near my area.  Maybe the towers?  Who knows.

41 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

What do you mean?  I know zip about my i phone.  Yesterday I lost all my texts, in and out.  This morning, they were magically back.. WTF ?  I figured it had something to do with the tornado near my area.  Maybe the towers?  Who knows.

lol my safari is now normal, but other apps are off for some reason. My family members' phones are fine though. Maybe coincidental timing? 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1

lol my safari is now normal, but other apps are off for some reason. My family members' phones are fine though. Maybe coincidental timing? 

Ha.  We will never know.  Meanwhile, my kid was sayin I must have deleted something, which I did NOT.

3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

You are not alone in this peeve. 

image.thumb.png.83c398179a98f45406110e0822f1a766.png

On the same idea of the "skip to recipe" button, I have learned to click on the "print recipe" button and then bookmark THAT address. Never again will I have to scroll down to get to that recipe.

ETA:

I just spent some time browsing through the search results of "Recipe Blog Meme."  I highly recommend doing the same. People are funny...

image.png.a39fe6b8a9a0a38709883e8a5889830c.png

This is my favorite:

11b0b4bfa048840993ac3c9a397df43d7c9efdd9

• LOL 13
16 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

It turns out that there's a practical reason for all that gibberish before the actual recipe. I stumbled on it not long ago when I was searching for . . . a recipe. And then I got it in an email from my WaPo subscription. The short version is that a mile and a half of text makes the recipe more findable by Google--the technical term is SEO (search engine optimization). The scrolling doesn't bother me as much now that I know they're doing it to stay alive. It's how we pay for something we otherwise get for free. I don't know why some of them leave out the jump button. Maybe there's a real reason for that, too.

The longer explanations:

https://the-delve.com/2020/09/27/why-recipe-blog-posts-are-so-long/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/03/30/mindy-kaling-complained-about-stories-in-online-recipes-and-the-food-bloggers-let-her-have-it/

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I don't give out my references' information until I'm actually being considered for a job.

I don't know if this is still the case, but at least through the 2000s and maybe into the 2010s, any librarian position (and likely at least some other positions) at any of the University of California campuses required submitting 3 references to even get to at least the 2nd round of interviews (might have been sooner), and, IIRC, one had to be your current supervisor. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't know if this is still the case, but at least through the 2000s and maybe into the 2010s, any librarian position (and likely at least some other positions) at any of the University of California campuses required submitting 3 references to even get to at least the 2nd round of interviews (might have been sooner), and, IIRC, one had to be your current supervisor. 

Yes, some places require them just to submit an application. In any case, having to give out that info is annoying. Mine are getting old at this point, and I'd rather keep my job hunt confidential than ask for new ones where I work now. 

• Love 3