Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

There was a very large roach at the top of my wall.{shudder}

I bug sprayed the thing and it fell eight feet and headed for the door.  I got it outside without having to touch it.

So I am officially a Jedi because I chased a bug out a door that was ten feet away. I may have also gone to the dark side because the roach was smart enough to head for the door while fleeing the giant spraying toxins at it.  This is not going to stop me from calling the exterminator tomorrow.

I don't like bugs.

• Love 3

When my sweet Baby Boo was alive, I fed the birds all the time. He was an indoor cat and he loved his "cat TV"!  He would do the "gack gack gack" at the birds through the window and sit for a long time watching them. 

Now that he is gone to the Rainbow Bridge and I have outside feral kitties, it seems cruel to feed the birds as they will be hunted by these cats. They are fierce hunters despite all the food I feed them. 

I do have a covey of quails that comes through every couple of days that the cats don't seem to bother. They are very sweet.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We used to have beautiful, custom made bird feeders and my husband and I loved to sit on the porch and watch them every night after work but then we got rats. We had to take our lovely feeders down. That's my peeve: Rats. We live near the lake and several restaurants so we get rats and I fucking HATE them.

This is why I can't have feeders, freakin' RATS! We are also near a lake and several restaurants, I miss watching the birds come to the feeders, especially in the winter. 

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

You got your e to work!

It's a fickl* bitch.

Mayb3 just us3 th3 thr33 k3y lik3 all th3 cool kids do?

or

Word all your posts so you don't call for that particular non-consonant.  (That was hard!)

or

Just lav out th offnding ky and lt us figur out what you man.

Edited by SoMuchTV
More stupid ideas!
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 9/24/2021 at 10:14 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

My intellectual self knows, deep down, that all or most of ^those folks would love to see the problem fixed.  Sometimes, my emotional self just needs to go through the process of putting it in writing.  No offense intended.  Truly.

I too know it is going to get worse.  It's being engineered so.

No worries.  I'm a consumer too.  I get it.  Its just because I know too much , so when things aren't available to buy I just go down a doomsday spiral instead of venting.  If I had more free time, I'd probably be a full prepper at this point. But I don't so that reigns in the crazy.

Although I'm not sure if its engineered.  I'm always on the fence on if its dumb or diabolical.  

So want to here my latest theory on the thing that is going to trigger the "its going to get (visibly) worse".

We've been noticing that all the stores around here are really low on juice.  But its actually the "snack aisle" of the store.  Its got to be that school started and kids need different stuff for their lunches to take with them.  So this weekend I noticed that the emptiness of the juice aisle has spread to soda and water.

So buckle your seat belt folks.  The triumvirate of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are coming and the supply chain can't handle any more surges in demand. And that is going to create a cycle of panic buying that reinforces the problem.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Mayb3 just us3 th3 thr33 k3y lik3 all th3 cool kids do?

or

Word all your posts so you don't call for that particular non-consonant.  (That was hard!)

or

Just lav out th offnding ky and lt us figur out what you man.

Unfortunat*ly, th* thre* is also aff*ct*d.  I susp*ct an *rrant grain of salt. (Irony not*d)

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

We've been noticing that all the stores around here are really low on juice.  But its actually the "snack aisle" of the store.  Its got to be that school started and kids need different stuff for their lunches to take with them.  So this weekend I noticed that the emptiness of the juice aisle has spread to soda and water.

I think it's also a contain*r / aluminum issu*.  Classic supply chain bullspit.

23 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

d**r

I thought you were invoking deer as a curse word, which, in my part of the world, it totally is. They're like rats here, if rats weighed 200 pounds and jumped in front of you on the highway and totaled your car. Fucking d**r.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Unfortunat*ly, th* thre* is also aff*ct*d.  I susp*ct an *rrant grain of salt. (Irony not*d)

In all seriousness, usb keyboards can be pretty cheap and Amazon can probably have one to you tomorrow or the next day. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

In all seriousness, usb keyboards can be pretty cheap and Amazon can probably have one to you tomorrow or the next day. 

I consid*r*d that.  Som*on* on anoth*r thr*ad shar*d a link on how to pop off th* l*tt*rs and cl*an out th* d*bris.  I'll try that first.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I consid*r*d that.  Som*on* on anoth*r thr*ad shar*d a link on how to pop off th* l*tt*rs and cl*an out th* d*bris.  I'll try that first.  Thanks.

Oh yes - I’ve also done that before. Just don’t pop too many off at once!  And be aware that the bigger keys (space, enter) can be trickier to reattach, so don’t pop them off unless you have to. 

• Useful 1
51 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I had some success with prying off non-functioning keys on my iPad Mini's Logitech keyboard. There was a lot of lint gunking up the keys.

Or, if it's a separate keyboard and not part of a laptop or tablet:

1. Pour a bottle of Isopropyl/denatured/rubbing alcohol over it
    (can often buy for a dollar or 2; recommended to do in the shower)
  2. swish it around in the keyboard
  3. turn the keyboard upside down so the alcohol washes out the gunk and drains out.

It should dry fairly quickly. 
I had to do this back in 1997 when my then-college age daughter dumped her coffee with cream and sugar on the keyboard of my new Gateway🐄 computer. 

However, in both cases, at least one key still didn't work, so:

54 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Trini said:

It won't help the situation now, but for the future, I'd recommend buying a keyboard cover. I eat over my laptop a lot (I know, I know) so it's a good investment for me.

That is a good id*a.  At l*ast on* job I had years ago used them.  I hat*d it, but th* valu* is not lost on m* now, lol.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Also, either take a picture of your keyboard or pull one up on the screen before you pop ‘em off — unless, of course, you have that shit memorized. I speak from experience (and neuroses; after being given a used keyboard at my previous job [one that had belonged to a messy person], I became obsessed with crumb removal).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 2

I missed whether this is a laptop or not. I'd be very careful about popping the keys off a laptop. In fact, I wouldn't do it myself at all. They're ridiculously easy to remove and next to impossible to put back on. I'd have a tech do it, one who swears s/he knows how to replace keys. Been there, done that, wanted to kill myself.

On 9/24/2021 at 2:18 PM, peacheslatour said:

When I was in career floral design school, they had these things called "externships" where in order to graduate you had to work in flower shop for a month, unpaid. They found us all the placements and I ended up managing the shop where I did my externship. Like you, I didn't really need the money by then but for young people, just finishing school, there should be pay involved.

I also had to work in a shop during that time in the floral program but it was either 3 days or week I don’t remember.   By that time I  had volunteered at a friends shop for Mother’s Day ( week).   It involved a plane flight and a 45 minute trip from the airport.  Before that week I did not know that people wake up on the day of Mother’s Day and remember they had  one——- .in a small town 5 states away with no address.   These same people could not understand that no we don’t  know when Billy Bob will deliver your thoughtful  gift.  

In the following years my pet peeve were  people who would pop in 10 minutes before we were to close to kill time before  the movie started next door and say how much fun it must be to work in a flower shop. 
Doing a week in a shop during a holiday certainly weeds out the insincere. My friends insisted on paying me and we were all too tired to chew food for the Mothers Day dinner.  Through  the years many people would ask to work for nothing to learn. This was many moons ago.  

Edited by athousandclowns
Typo
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

In the following years my pet peeve was people who would pop in 10 minutes before we were to close to kill time before  the movie started next door and say how much fun it must be to work in a flower shop. 

Oh, god, yes, gotta love the people who decide that right before closing is the time to come in and start shopping and milling around :/. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I also had to work in a shop during that time in the floral program but it was either 3 days or week I don’t remember.   By that time I  had volunteered at a friends shop for Mother’s Day ( week).   It involved a plane flight and a 45 minute trip from the airport.  Before that week I did not know that people wake up on the day of Mother’s Day and remember they had  one——- .in a small town 5 states away with no address.   These same people could not understand that no we don’t  know when Billy Bob will deliver your thoughtful  gift.  

In the following years my pet peeve were  people who would pop in 10 minutes before we were to close to kill time before  the movie started next door and say how much fun it must be to work in a flower shop. 
Doing a week in a shop during a holiday certainly weeds out the insincere. My friends insisted on paying me and we were all too tired to chew food for the Mothers Day dinner.  Through  the years many people would ask to work for nothing to learn. This was many moons ago.  

I know, I know. Retail, right? But especially with flowers. No, we don't have any blue roses. We will never have any blue roses, no matter how much you scream at us.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Before that week I did not know that people wake up on the day of Mother’s Day and remember they had  one——- .in a small town 5 states away with no address.   These same people could not understand that no we don’t  know when Billy Bob will deliver your thoughtful  gift

Oh gosh! Now I *Really* want one of my daughters to arrange for flowers to be delivered to me next Mother's Day by frickin' Billy. Bob. Thornton! LOL! 😆

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Before that week I did not know that people wake up on the day of Mother’s Day and remember they had  on

LOL - both my daughters helped out on Mother's day in the Floral Dept of the grocery store they worked at, both of them said "how the hell do you not know it's Mother's Day until the day of??" By the end of the day men/children were leaving with bouquets of Baby's Breath because that's all that was left. Unbelievable.

My pet peeve today: Watching the couple on the elliptical machines in front of me at the gym this morning "wipe off" the machines with a dry paper towel after they were done. There's another gentleman who wears a mask and latex gloves while he works out, he drips sweat everywhere and then just walks away from the equipment because (I think) he assumes that since he didn't "touch" anything that he doesn't have to clean it. I won't be saying anything because confrontation is not in my comfort zone and I won't put the staff in that position either. I just know to clean the equipment BEFORE and AFTER. 

Edited by BexKeps
unneeded apostrophe
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, BexKeps said:

LOL - both my daughters helped out on Mother's day in the Floral Dept of the grocery store they worked at, both of them said "how the hell do you not know it's Mother's Day until the day of??" By the end of the day men/children were leaving with bouquets of Baby's Breath because that's all that was left. Unbelievable.

Good gods, yes.  I generally avoid shopping on weekends, but one Mother's Day I realized I was out of something I needed for the dinner.  I pulled into the parking lot and observed a steady stream of men coming out of the grocery store with a bouquet of flowers.  Seriously, dudes?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Good example of my social media pet peeve.  Women who post pictures on social media claiming they are unretouched or natural or basically just them when obviously they still look great and they are anything but that  Trying to claim they don't try or care when obviously they do. 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/chrissy-teigen-self-esteem-social-media-205549042.html

Like this one .....how long to you think it took her to get this 'chaotic' and supposed real photo?  

Chaotic in what way exactly? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I wonder how those mother's felt when handed a bunch of Baby's Breath. They *had* to know how little thought/effort their gift-givers put into that charming bouquet.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Good example of my social media pet peeve.  Women who post pictures on social media claiming they are unretouched or natural or basically just them when obviously they still look great and they are anything but that  Trying to claim they don't try or care when obviously they do. 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/chrissy-teigen-self-esteem-social-media-205549042.html

Like this one .....how long to you think it took her to get this 'chaotic' and supposed real photo?  

lol! Stuff like this is a pet peeve of mine too.

A lot of women will do these so called no makeup/all natural posts in a humble brag kind of way. When they have had nose jobs, micro bladed brows, lip injections, fake tans, eyelash extensions and all that, are you really empowering women and girls to feel naturally beautiful too? More power to you if you do these procedures and look great, but come on. This kind of stuff only leads to more unrealistic standards of beauty and makes it harder on women. Spare the I'm so brave and inspiring act. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, BexKeps said:

Or how about the day before Valentine's Day?

AxS00CG.jpg

MMeMv12i2.jpg

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

Mother’s Day morning 2006 my daughter stopped at the Jewel grocery store on her way home from an after-prom sleepover and got me this little shamrock. 
It was both a Mother’s Day gift and because she was explaining that she left the dance with her best friend’s date. 
15 years later all is well with all 4 of them.

This January during the pre-vaccine pandemic, this 15-year-old, last-minute, Mother’s Day floral gift successfully accompanied me on the flight ✈️ when I moved from Illinois to NY. 
ECAD29D3-AA57-4567-BC1A-32A125CF1C39.thumb.jpeg.7d0a15aeb1d967415e400d8c59f6e19c.jpeg

• Love 7

I'm waiting in the drive-thru line at Walgreens to get a Covid test because our (vaccinated) controller at work tested positive and is apparently fairly sick. I was at work with him on Thursday. I feel fine, but I'm being cautious and am home for the rest of the week.

He hung out by my cubicle Thursday and chatted with me for a few minutes. He was masked; I wasn't--he likes to sneak up on me. I'm tempted to put up a sign to "stay away"!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

What is she famous for? I don't remember seeing her in anything other than on tabloid style websites.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

What is she famous for? I don't remember seeing her in anything other than on tabloid style websites.

She's a former model and has parlayed that into several tv roles basically based on her without any real acting involved. Reality shows, hosting, guest star that sort of thing. 

And she married to John legend. 

• Love 2

Most recently she's been known for repeatedly DM'ing that wannabe starlet Courtney Stodden and urging her to kill herself when Stodden was 15 years old and married to a 51-year-old man. The kid was clearly in the hands of sexual predators (possibly including her own parents). Now Teigen is trying to present herself as Mother of the Year. Not buying it.

She's not much of a human being, but she does play one on Twitter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Mondrianyone said:

She's not much of a human being, but she does play one on Twitter.

Great line for something. Anything. We could even update it to:

• They're not much of a human being, but they do play one on Twitter.

Or "...on FaceBook." 
But not Reddit, for obvious reasons.

• Love 2

Ugh, in the continuing fraud saga, I just got a prepaid debit card in the mail from my bank/the NJ Dep't of Labor! I am TRYING to get this straightened out, but it is impossible! And why would this card come to me -- how would that help a person who is trying to commit fraud? I just don't understand! Hahhahhahahhaa, is anyone here is a career criminal who can explain this to me? Is it something so simple as the fact that my mailbox is accessible only by key?! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Hahhahhahahhaa, is anyone here a career criminal who can explain this to me?

Well, I don't like to brag or anything, but . . .

No, I'm not a career criminal, sorry. But I feel for you. I had some fraudsters going after my credit card for years. And the bank just kept "solving" the problem by issuing me a new card with a new account number. Most of the time, within about a half hour of my using the new number, I'd get an email alert of a suspicious charge. I finally just stopped using it, but I wanted to use up the rewards points before ditching the card entirely. Weirdly, my husband, who's an authorized user on MY account, never had a minute's worth of trouble with it.

Don't be me. If you can close this account and open another with an entirely different institution, go do it. Some of these people never give up.

• Love 2

Correct, @Bastet; I suppose it is just a coincidence that the issuing bank is the same bank I use. They confirmed that there's no connection with my actual accounts -- which is good, as it seems like a direct deposit of unemployment dough might be trickier to untangle? But I did also have a credit card fraud issue recently with an entirely different bank. That's all dealt with (and I never did hear back from the police about that gaming laptop that some ballsy someone curbside pickupped from Walmart!).

I just do not understand how this unemployment fraudster planned to benefit from this crime when all the info, including the actual card, is coming here to me! Is it more diabolical than I understand? Or is the person just really bad at this? OR...was the goal all along not to get money but to merely annoy the bejesus out of me?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, GaT said:

Or how about the day before Valentine's Day?

AxS00CG.jpg

MMeMv12i2.jpg

These are like zombie husbands!  It's so funny.  I actually appreciate their utter guyness.  They know they have to do something, and they are doing it in their inept but doting way.

Edited by GussieK
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This isn't a credit card fraud situation; someone applied for unemployment benefits using her information, and now she's received the prepaid debit card onto which the benefit payment is loaded. 

Well, then it's a damn good thing I'm not a career criminal, isn't it?

15 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I never did hear back from the police about that gaming laptop that some ballsy someone curbside pickupped from Walmart!

My crooks were ordering an insane amount of pizza on my dime. But in California. And the tragedy is that I can't get pizza delivered to my own house for love or money. Life is so cruel.

Wait a minute. . . . Doesn't Bastet live in California??? This is starting to come together.🍕

• LOL 10
4 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Wait a minute. . . . Doesn't Bastet live in California??? This is starting to come together.🍕

If any of it was from a chain restaurant or involved deep dish, I can produce a dozen character witnesses to testify that not even if I was simultaneously starving and broke would I have placed those orders.

• LOL 13
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, in the continuing fraud saga, I just got a prepaid debit card in the mail from my bank/the NJ Dep't of Labor! I am TRYING to get this straightened out, but it is impossible! And why would this card come to me -- how would that help a person who is trying to commit fraud? I just don't understand! Hahhahhahahhaa, is anyone here is a career criminal who can explain this to me? Is it something so simple as the fact that my mailbox is accessible only by key?! 

Have you tried calling your Congresspersons office? They have people who can help with this sort of thing when the direct channels don't work. Years ago I needed SNAP benefits. I had just gotten let go, my old company was fighting unemployment and I literally had no money. I got the benefits approved pretty quick but I could not get them stopped until my Congressperson reached out to my "case manager" or their office.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1