Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Today's pet peeve: shoddy workmanship. Years (and years and years) ago, my parents bought a glider rocking chair for my birthday. I'd noticed it felt a little wonky the past few days and made a mental note to check it. This morning, my sister accidentally hit it with her wheelchair, and one side of the support collapsed. When I turned the chair upside down to investigate, I discovered that on the left side, there were 3 screws holding two blocks of wood together. On the opposite side, there were 5. Plus a broken-off screw on the floor under the chair. I poked a nail in all 5 holes and found that all 5 had broken-off screws embedded in the wood. I surmised that before the chair left the factory, the original 3 screws broke off (perhaps the chair was dropped?) and instead of finding a way to remove them, someone just added 2 new screws.

I am charging the drill and tomorrow, I will add 3 new holes for new screws, and then, for good measure, I'll add 3 more on the side that hasn't broken yet. Sheesh.

SO TRUE, appliances don't last very long either and at Sears they told us a fridge lasts about 10 years now.  I could go on.

• Love 1

Double doors (side by side).

If I am approaching from the outside, and you are approaching from the inside, we can each use the door to our right and pass each other at the threshold. Don't stand there looking at me like I am in your way, or worse yet, scoot through MY door that I have just opened without so much as a "by your leave".  Use your own damned door.

• Love 3

Supermarket lady, I just want to grab a package of plain bagels, not watch you slowly review your shopping list and adjust everything in your purse before you slowly meander off in a daze. Can't you do that tidying up somewhere less busy than the bread aisle? Am I asking too much?

From too slow to too fast...are parking lots really the appropriate venue for high speed driving?

• Love 5

Double doors (side by side).

If I am approaching from the outside, and you are approaching from the inside, we can each use the door to our right and pass each other at the threshold. Don't stand there looking at me like I am in your way, or worse yet, scoot through MY door that I have just opened without so much as a "by your leave".  Use your own damned door.

Heh. You hit on one of my favorite things. I get a huge kick out of watching how everybody heads for the one door that is open. You can see it at the mall. There will be three sets of double doors going into Macy's. When one person either goes into or comes out of one of the six possible doors, a HUGE percentage of people will somehow choose to go right for that door.  It's fascinating.  There is a place where this happens at the food court at the outlet mall where it always creates a huge bottleneck. 

I love going up to the door where everybody is funneling and opening the one RIGHT NEXT TO IT, and going through that one.

• Love 2

I accidentally peeved many a commuter rail users when I had to go to Baltimore for the Xmas Party from Hell.  Not being familiar with public transportation, me and my fellow co-workers (from So Cal) were going to use it to go someplace.  So we're riding the escalator to the platform and yakking away, not realizing that I was blocking the passing lane.  A kind local explained that it was common practice to stick to one side (right? ) leaving the other side clear for those travelers in more of a hurry (hence walking up the escalator).

Back-to-school peeve:  Buying supplies!  My daughter is in high school this year and each teacher has their own list of required classroom supplies.  They don't hand out the lists until the first class, so no being able to buy in advance.  So me and a zillion other parents were at the store today trying to find the required notebooks, papers, dividers, binders, etc...the stock was in total disarray and I could only find obnoxiously colored versions of what I needed.  Luckily, while wandering the store in defeat, I found a smaller section of supplies that had everything I needed and in normal colors.  Up to this year, the schools had an EPI Pack available.  For a flatrate, you could order the a set pack of supplies for the next year (the entire year).  It was awesome.

When I was at the grocery store a few weeks ago, the bagger commented on how I must clean out my reusable bags regularly since they were nice inside (despite being obviously well used from the outside).  I said I said "Wow - never really thought about it" to which the bagger and cashier told me that some of the reusable bags are so nasty that they wouldn't want to pack their own groceries in them (sticky, stained from leaks, etc...).  Since then I have been obsessively worried about the bagger judging me based on the condition of my bags!

• Love 1

A kind local explained that it was common practice to stick to one side (right? ) leaving the other side clear for those travelers in more of a hurry (hence walking up the escalator).

That's the rule of every subway system in the western world.  Even the UK, where you drive on the left and pass on the right.

• Love 1

I treat stairways and hallways like roads. Walk to the right. It just seems natural and don't know why so many other people don't do this.

I don't if the only handrail is on the left side because I often need to hang on to something going up and down stairs. It seems like they don't usually put rails on the wall side. I guess they figure there's a wall there for balance, but I really dislike leaning against the wall to go up or down stairs, especially if I am wearing something I don't want to get dust or dirt on.

I will move if someone is coming the other way, though.

Edited by auntlada

So we're riding the escalator to the platform and yakking away, not realizing that I was blocking the passing lane.  A kind local explained that it was common practice to stick to one side (right? ) leaving the other side clear for those travelers in more of a hurry (hence walking up the escalator).

Oh man, I hate when people fail Escalators 101 in this way.  I'm glad someone told you and you never did it again.

Same with those moving walkways at airports and such.  First of all, it's not a Disneyland ride or something, so don't just get on it and stand there.  But if you insist, or are infirm in some way, stand to the right so the people actually walking can pass you. 

• Love 2

Ooh, we're onto supermarkets?

If you don't know how to use the self-checkout, 5:00 pm on a weekday or after 9 am on a weekend is not the time to learn.

Did you think the food was free? Then why do you wait until after the cashier has finished and your bags are packed to finally look for your god damned wallet?

And having finally paid, would it kill you to move out of the way while you take your--apparently ample--time to pull out everything in order to replace your wallet in the superspecial wallet space in your purse?

If you are bagging your own groceries...pulling out a bunch of bags and then holding each precious purchase up to decide which one to carefully stow it in? No. Arranging the baguette and carrot greens  to artfully peek out from the top? No. Put your stuff in the bag and get out of the way.

Now, if you are an older (than me) person taking his or her time and counting coins, I'm fine with that. You've lived that long, bless you, you deserve my patience.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 5

This isn't as much of a pet peeve as someone mourning the past.  My TV watching these days is confined to PBS programming, Jeopardy, and series on HBO and Showtime such as Game of Thrones and Masters of Sex.  The remainder of my "TV watching" consists of classic shows on You Tube, Crackle, and Hulu. 

When it comes popular music, I wouldn't know the difference between Taylor Swift or Katy Perry.  Classic rock is my staple because it's comforting to me.  I fear that I'm turning into those boring old farts who start their sentences with, "Well, back in my day..."  Now it's time to watch Bonanza on You Tube.

• Love 4

Some stores pay their employees extra for every card they sell. When I worked at Kohl's, we got an extra dollar added onto our paycheck for every card we sold.

I used to work retail back in the nineties and we got $5 per card we sold. I was never pushy, and back then at least it was optional if you wanted to try to sell them. I suspect it's mandatory to ask these days.

I should have just taken the thing to the self-scanner, paid the penny and left without involving an employee.

That's what I'd have done. I figure the suffering I endure venturing into Walmart entitles me to some type of discount. Additionally, there have been times Walmart has cheated me out of money that I've neglected to go back to get. Add to that all the times I've almost been run over by an employee pushing a large cart (oh, they see me!), and you can see why I would have considered that penny bra my reward.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 1

I used to work retail back in the nineties and we got $5 per card we sold. I was never pushy, and back then at least it was optional if you wanted to try to sell them. I suspect it's mandatory to

ask these days.

It was mandatory for us.

• Love 1

That's what I'd have done. I figure the suffering I endure venturing into Walmart entitles me to some type of discount.$

So I went on the Walmart website, that's how much I liked this bra. Turns out, the damned thing WAS marked down to $.01, but they no longer have my size online.  Part of me wants to take the ad to the manager who argued with me, but it would be so embarrassing to be thrown out of Walmart.  Wouldn't it?

• Love 1

No one gets thrown out of Walmart. One Black Friday several years ago, rushing shoppers trampled to death a security guard and went on about their maniacal shopping for Tickle Me Elmos and whatever other useless bullshit that was on sale that day. A man died under their feet, and no one got thrown out of Walmart. I think you are safe getting your penny bra!

• Love 1

Today as I was leaving daycare with my son, a father approached the front door. I had managed to push open the (right) door with my arm. I had hold of my son's hand with one of my hands (because I do not let him run around the parking lot and if you see a mother yank her escaping child back and give him a swat and a good talking-to in her arms, that might be me) and a stack of papers and my keys in the other hand. The father, whom I do not know, just casually strolled through the door I was trying to hold open long enough to get through myself. He at least said, "Thank you," but a little help would have been nice. I don't expect men to open doors for me, but if my arms are full and I'm struggling, it sure is nice if someone does.

• Love 2

Have we covered elevator etiquette yet?  I have many peeves surrounding breaches of elevator etiquette, but I'll confine myself (for now) to my biggest complaint: Those who don't let people exit the car before they try to get on. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

No one gets thrown out of Walmart. One Black Friday several years ago, rushing shoppers trampled to death a security guard and went on about their maniacal shopping for Tickle Me Elmos and whatever other useless bullshit that was on sale that day. A man died under their feet, and no one got thrown out of Walmart. I think you are safe getting your penny bra!

If Walmart threw out every customer who was trashy, rude, or simply weird, there would be no customers left.  The cesspool of society goes to Walmart after midnight bedecked in whatever glad rags was clean (or not) that day.

• Love 3

I despise Walmart but have to give them props for how headquarters handles complaints, legitimate complaints.

Other than those from its employees seeking living wages and equal opportunities.

• Love 9

I don't know why this bothers me so much when I usually pay them no mind but I hate the clickbait that states "You'll never guess who got old and fat!"

It's been 40 fucking years of course actress/actor A,B,C or D got old that's what happens over 4 decades asshole!

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 9

Those who don't let people exit the car before they try to get on.

Yes, but part of the problem is the faulty sensors on the elevator doors, so that the doors close and the elevator leaves with no passengers unless there is someone inside pressing the "door open" button.

Dear Clothing Retailers -

As flattering as it is to say I wear the same size as I did 25 years ago, there is no way my body is the same size, shape or weight as then.  I'm reasonably fit and within 15 +/- lbs of that past version of me, but I could not possibly fit into any of the cactual clothes that I did then.  The years, multiple pregnancies and gravity have not defied the laws of physics on my body.  Nor should your sizes.

• Love 2

Have we covered elevator etiquette yet?  I have many peeves surrounding breaches of elevator etiquette, but I'll confine myself (for now) to my biggest complaint: Those who don't let people exit the car before they try to get on. 

And trains! Trains! Not just letting those who need to exit, but also to let those that need to exit actually get to get.off.the.train. instead of me trying to unsmoosh myself and try to squeeze between the many human bodies, so I can bloody well get out.

Or the opposite--there are only so many bodies that can fit in a train, so trying to squeeze yourself in, so that you're trapped up against the door only prevents the train from fucking leaving, because you are.pressed.up.against.the.door.  There is another train on its way and will be there in less than 2 minutes. Or trying to pry open the door so you can get in or so you can pull your purse, bag, etc., into the train because the doors shut on it.  Which then just sets in motion for EVERYONE to disembark because the train is now OUT.OF.SERVICE..

If Walmart threw out every customer who was trashy, rude, or simply weird, there would be no customers left.  The cesspool of society goes to Walmart after midnight bedecked in whatever glad rags was clean (or not) that day.

Since we're talking about WalMart, what about the people who bring their toddlers with them to shop at 9 or 10 at night? Not just for a late night run for baby Motrin (which I've done), but shopping. Strolling through the aisles, comparing prices and stocking up the pantry. And the kid is screaming and crying almost the entire time while the oblivious parents shop on. Or the converse, where parents yell and curse at 2-year olds for having the audacity to be tired and whiny when it's hours past their bedtime.

• Love 3

Ha!  I'm terribly passive aggressive with that one. In the times of my life where I found myself using an elevator frequently (like at my last job), the people getting on before letting the others off would chip away at me.  When I had enough, I would probably spend about a week or two positioning myself RIGHT up against the door when we approached my floor.  The door would open and all anybody waiting on the other side would see is just a big face full of me. They'd have to move aside, because I was blocking the damn way. 

Obviously, most people on the other side just looked at me when the door opened as "that was odd" but occasionally I would get the satisfaction of seeing the intended audience take that quick step to charge into the elevator and then stop dead, think, and let me out.  I didn't need more than one or two of those to make me feel better and go back to behaving like a normal person and not a lunatic.

Dear Clothing Retailers Part II -

Infant and toddlers do NOT need skinny jeans.

Depends on how you define "skinny." My son is about to turn 4, but is just getting into 3T pants. They still fall down if I don't buy ones with really good elastic waists or adjustable waistbands, which have been adjusted down to the fourth button. They are also just now the right length. He has very little bottom and short legs. I blame his father (although my own father was shaped the same way -- I only got the short legs).

Speaking of pants, why can't they make petite pants in actual petite sizes?  I am 5' even, buy petite pants, and still have to hem the damn things by at least 2 inches.  Sometimes you can game the system by buying ankle/capri length pants, but not always.  Kohl's has a brand that has petite short pants that are the perfect length, but not always. Being 5 feet tall is not that uncommon.  I hate having to budget extra money for every pair of pants that needs tailoring. It adds up.

• Love 1

Depends on how you define "skinny."

Defined in the same way as for juniors, women & men. Not sized slim or slender.

I get your pain - my son was/is tall and slender. He's 21 and an ideal pant would be 28 or 29 waist x 34 length (32 is borderline if there is zero shrinkage).

I loved the "people movers" and positioned myself against the right side handrail and enjoyed not having to hobble in discomfort. I ignored the stares of people who assumed I was just being lazy.

Better than the mother I observed in Newark Airport who decided her two toddlers should run back and forth on the moving walkways to wear them out before their flight.

Yeah, I totally didn't tell her what I thought of that parenting decision.

Speaking of pants, why can't they make petite pants in actual petite sizes?

I wish more retailers sold pants for women in actual measured lengths, instead of just short, regular, and tall.  Men don't have to put up with that, they get to choose both inseam and waist measurements.  

I'm not quite 5' 1" and petite isn't short enough for me. Right now I buy most of my pants from Land End catalog, since they will actually hem pants to the exact length you want.   But it would be nice to be able to buy pants in other stores.  I almost never find any pants short enough, and I'm not a very good seamstress, and certainly don't want to pay as much to have pants hemmed as the pants themselves cost.   

• Love 4

Have we covered elevator etiquette yet? I have many peeves surrounding breaches of elevator etiquette, but I'll confine myself (for now) to my biggest complaint: Those who don't let people exit the car before they try to get on.

My husband and I used to love embarrassing my mom on elevators when we would take her places. We would walk in and face the back wall instead of facing forward. If anybody else got on she would be hissing at us under her breath to turn around. We thought it was hilarious. He and I share a twisted sense of humor.

My peeve today is "gate-gate". I hate that anything that is the tiniest bit controversial is called " whatever-gate". I read it about 2 different things in the same thread today. One is being called "dress-gate" about a dress maybe being stolen.

It's a small thing but it drives me crazy.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3

ERGGHHHHH!

It's whose, not who's, when you're talking about possession or belonging to.   In other words, it's it is a pronoun, while who's (who is) is a contraction!

GHS - I think the only thing we "grammar/punctuation/spelling police" can do is shake our heads, read on & TRY not to get riled up about it.  Believe me -- I get pissed off, too, when I read shit like that, but it just plain isn't important to some people (I'd prefer to think this rather than they don't know any better). 

My "significant other" (of 21 years) is an M.D. and, I might add, a brilliant man.  He told me the other day he sent an email to one of his associates and used the word "there" when he meant "their,"  and when he read his 'sent' email he felt like a real dumb-ass.  Hey - it happens to the best of us...especially when we're in a hurry (as he was that day).  In any event, we just have to calm down -- and post our bitches on HERE!!!  It always makes me feel better.  hahaha! 

• Love 1

I wish more retailers sold pants for women in actual measured lengths, instead of just short, regular, and tall.  Men don't have to put up with that, they get to choose both inseam and waist measurements. 

I just read an article about the fluctuating sizes for women.  This version has a handy dandy chart!

• Love 1

Interesting. Does anyone else think that people's bodies looked different just a couple generations ago (and back), or am I making that up? While generally speaking, women were thinner, they also looked like literal hourglasses, maybe because of the corseting/girdles and how they actually do shape one's body. The beach movies of the 1960s show very different-looking bodies than we see now. Men also looked different--less emphasis on muscle tone than now. Men had broader shoulders with small waists and hips. Have I been in the catnip, or have others wondered about this?

I know we've gotten taller over the centuries, but my maternal grandfather and his brothers were like trees--tall, broad and strong, never any extra weight. Of course, at 5'3", I am the shortest in my family, save for one cousin. I got all the extra weight from the paternal side.

• Love 1

I'm not sure I am reading the Times article correctly, what's happening to me is that I can't order pants through the internet anymore.  They are often so large I end up giving them away, since it's not worth the trouble of returning them. I've lost some weight, but not that much!  I have a feeling that marked sizes are becoming more "flattering" these days (no offense intended to anyone).  I ordered some end of season summer pants today but they were marked way down in price; I won't be out much if these are also too large.

I also hate it when pants are way too long, I am of moderate height and had to pay a seamstress $20 per pair to take up two pairs several inches so I wouldn't be walking on the bottom of the pant legs through the streets of New York.

• Love 2

I just read an article about the fluctuating sizes for women.  This version has a handy dandy chart!

I don't know. I know they got that from official sizing standards, but it appears that when I was in high school that a 25-26-inch waist would have been somewhere between a size 0 (which I'd never heard of then) and a size 4. I had a waist about that size, and I wore a 7-8 usually. In college, when I was running more, I briefly got down to a size 5-6, but that was the smallest size I wore since I got old enough to bother about sizes (which would probably have been junior high). I'm not saying the basic premise of the article is wrong. I just don't think those sizes were what was in stores then -- or at least not the stores we shopped in (which were usually things like Penney's and other places like that at the mall).

ETA: Never mind. I think I'm reading those charts wrong. They're very confusing to me. Perhaps I should go to bed.

Edited by auntlada

My latest pet peeve (never thought I'd say this):  American fricking cars!!  I picked up my car from the shop yesterday where it's been the past 4 days to repair all the RUST that's been slowly accumulating around the bottom of all 4 doors and on the back hatch.  $1,200.00 - and according to my most-trusted car repair guy -  he gives no guarantees that it won't come back.  Are you kidding me?  It's a 2007 Mercury Mariner!  I love the car...it goes like a bat outta hell & it's paid off, but c'mon.  The really bad news is that I could never, in all good conscience, buy foreign -- I live in the Detroit area, and around here....well, you just don't.  A few years ago I flew to Tennessee to visit my girlfriend & rented a car - a Kia.  It was the first foreign car I'd ever driven, and OMG I loved driving that thing!

Anyhow, my car guy has owned his collision shop for 35 years.  He pointed to his Dodge Durango and said it's the last American car he'll ever buy (he's born & raised in Detroit, also).  He explained that the way they make American cars with badly placed seams in the doors, etc., actually traps water & there's no way to get it out, and the engineers must know this.  Apparently you just don't keep a car longer than 5 years or you'll be driving a rust-bucket.  Unfrickinbelievable.  Arghhhh!

Edited by Maizie131

The remainder of my "TV watching" consists of classic shows on You Tube, Crackle, and Hulu. 

Or on DVD, for me! I have enjoyed such shows of the past as Barney MillerThe Bob Newhart ShowM Squad, and Perry Mason, among others.

• Love 1

I am annoyed and grossed out by people talking on their cellphones in a public bathroom.  I prefer not to use a public bathroom if at all possible, but when I do, I have no desire to be forced to listen to the person in the next stall chitchatting about the errands they will be running, how the SO Mom made a snide comment, or the other blah blah blah.  I've never heard someone making a call that sounded urgent and that could not/should not  wait.

Excuse my horrible run-on sentence structure today. 

• Love 4

Anyhow, my car guy has owned his collision shop for 35 years.  He pointed to his Dodge Durango and said it's the last American car he'll ever buy (he's born & raised in Detroit, also).  He explained that the way they make American cars with badly placed seams in the doors, etc., actually traps water & there's no way to get it out, and the engineers must know this.  Apparently you just don't keep a car longer than 5 years or you'll be driving a rust-bucket.  Unfrickinbelievable.  Arghhhh!

We just spent $3,000 to repair a 2006 Honda (Dead transmission, AC compressor, threw in a new clutch while we are at it), because the mechanic said that the engine, with just 128,000 miles on it is just breaking in.

So, I think that sums up my feeling about the way people think about cars. People are pretty convinced that the Honda will last forever, but you know, if it costs me THOUSANDS of dollars to keep it running because some other part of the car is good as new, is this Honda really better than another make?

By the way, my 2005 Ford with more miles on it has a perfectly functioning air conditioner and clutch.

• Love 1

We just spent $3,000 to repair a 2006 Honda (Dead transmission, AC compressor, threw in a new clutch while we are at it), because the mechanic said that the engine, with just 128,000 miles on it is just breaking in.

So, I think that sums up my feeling about the way people think about cars. People are pretty convinced that the Honda will last forever, but you know, if it costs me THOUSANDS of dollars to keep it running because some other part of the car is good as new, is this Honda really better than another make?

By the way, my 2005 Ford with more miles on it has a perfectly functioning air conditioner and clutch.

JT - Thank you for this ... I don't feel so duped by Ford Motor now.  I've driven Fords just about my entire life, but many were leases - this is the first one I've had for 8 years. And you're right - friends of mine who've had Hondas swear they last forever.  Yeah, right.

• Love 1

I'm not sure I am reading the Times article correctly, what's happening to me is that I can't order pants through the internet anymore.  They are often so large I end up giving them away, since it's not worth the trouble of returning them. I've lost some weight, but not that much!  I have a feeling that marked sizes are becoming more "flattering" these days (no offense intended to anyone).  I ordered some end of season summer pants today but they were marked way down in price; I won't be out much if these are also too large.

I also hate it when pants are way too long, I am of moderate height and had to pay a seamstress $20 per pair to take up two pairs several inches so I wouldn't be walking on the bottom of the pant legs through the streets of New York.

The only pants I can order off the internet are if I'm getting the exact same thing that I already own, like Levis 550s or something. Then I know it will fit. Usually. LOL

I'm short, so yeah I run into the length problem a lot. I usually have to stick to petite length but then sometimes those run too long or too short. Ugh. Hate shopping for pants.

• Love 1

Dear Clothing Retailers -

As flattering as it is to say I wear the same size as I did 25 years ago, there is no way my body is the same size, shape or weight as then.  I'm reasonably fit and within 15 +/- lbs of that past version of me, but I could not possibly fit into any of the cactual clothes that I did then.  The years, multiple pregnancies and gravity have not defied the laws of physics on my body.  Nor should your sizes.

Unless you're Sharon Stone.  Have you seen the latest pictures of her in Harper's Bazaar ?  It's incredible. Really it is. ))))))eyeroll)))))))

Edited by The Crazed Spruce
Fixed formatting issues

I don't know. I think cars tend to mostly be luck of the draw. I swear by my 2006 Honda Accord. I bought it new off the lot and have never done anything more to it than routine oil changes. It is about to reach 150,000 miles. I've driven the hell out of that car and it's been a great and trusted friend over the years. I do need it to hang on for a few more months though until I purchase my next foreign made car (actually a mini van- subsequently I have not heard good things about the new Honda Van so am leaning toward the Toyota).

Before buying the Honda I had a Ford Explorer (affectionately referred to as The Exploder if that tells you anything) and I was ready to trade that sucker in. I'll be hanging on to the Honda as a get around town car when I'm not transporting the three babies.

• Love 2

I put about 130K on my 98 Explorer before trading it in. It wasn't mechanical failures that wore me out, it was how expensive all of the routine stuff was. Tires for SUVs are SO expensive. The special 4X4 stuff in the suspension required maintenance. I think the insurance was more expensive too because SUVs tend to do more damage than sedans when they run into other people.  

We have owned Fords, Toyotas and Hondas over the last 15-20 years, and haven't found any particular make to be a better financial decision over that period of time.  Supreme brand loyalty is actually something that could qualify as a pet peeve of mine. This applies to any brand, so I am not singling out Honda here, but it did get a bit on my nerves when a relative who will never buy a different make of car, ever, was so excited about the part of the story where the mechanic said that the engine of the car was just breaking in.  He was all, "That's Honda baby! My old Accord had 312 thousand miles on it!" It was like replacing the transmission, clutch and AC on the car was a routine as changing the oil, as long as it keeps running.  On a different note, my Dad would never think of buying anything but a Ford. "Your grandfather bought a Model A when he came to this country and we've never bought anything else since then!"

I'm not saying that it isn't okay to have favorites. But at least be realistic about it.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2

Dear Clothing Retailers Part II -

Infant and toddlers do NOT need skinny jeans.

I'm going to add men to this. I saw what turned out to be a guy last week who I thought was a tall gal. As I got closer I realized "she" was a he wearing fugly skinny pants that gave him a figure better than mine. So, guys, unless you're transitioning and actively trying to look womanly just say no to the skinny pants.

I get your pain - my son was/is tall and slender. He's 21 and an ideal pant would be 28 or 29 waist x 34 length (32 is borderline if there is zero shrinkage).

He'd better get used to it unless he plans on shrinking. My 58-year-old husband wears 32 waist and 34 length and can hardly find pants anywhere. I don't know if it's so rare they don't buy enough or so common they sell out quickly.

Edited by bubbls