Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Payback

• Start Topic

"Dude, I'm not gonna buy a pot. We're not married." Oh, Rosa.

What is with Boyle's obsession with the sensuality of shampooing someone's hair? It's gotta lead to something. (ETA: I'm also not surprised that Boyle's dog are incredibly horny all the time)

Of course Holt would eat non-brand "Nutrition Bricks." And that his favorite breakfast is plain toast.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 4

Well, Jake just proved how not ready he is for the responsibility of being a God-Parent. There is no way Terry cleared that choice with his wife.

Boule'soneed need to be included in all things Jake was creepy and stalkerish. Still love him; just saying.

Nice to see Holt and Amy interacting. The brilliance of AB makes even street meat and diarrhea ridiculously funny.

Rosa thinking that if Sharon wasn't the password, Sharon with a number after it would be was funny.

Edited by Happytobehere

I was convinced that while Amy and Holt were getting their street meat, the culprit would get away and he would blame her for insisting on acquiring food on the sidewalk, so I was surprised (in a good way) that he got sick and then told her it was a bonding experience.

When he mentioned the coffee place, I thought he was going to tell her to go by herself. He was surprisingly open to becoming friends with her this week. I couldn't believe she wasn't freaking out about it more!

• Love 4

I couldn't believe she wasn't freaking out about it more!

From what we've seen, she's always highly professional and waits till he's out of sight before doing her happy freak-out dance.

That "case" ended rather matter-of-factly and quickly, didn't it? Oh, he died... on with the diarrhea.

• Love 1

What is with Boyle's obsession with the sensuality of shampooing someone's hair? It's gotta lead to something.

Oh, man. That's how Boyle and Gina are gonna end up back in the sack, isn't it? Something "horrible" is gonna happen to Gina's hair, and she's gonna freak out, and Boyle's gonna have an answer. Gina's gonna reluctantly let him implement it, and....

• Love 1

Is anyone else concerned that now that the former fireman is dead, the arsonist Holt put away is going to be stuck serving three life terms instead of two? Just me then. OK.

You can never say enough good things about AB's portrayal of Holt, but Amy's sucking up to him is always fantastic and that's a real tribute to MF.

Jake and Terry in the gym. That's it. The rest can just be recalled.

And Boyle's dogs being even hornier than usual. I doubt we'll ever see them again, but it was still a great sight gag of Jake washing two while the third is humping his leg.

• Love 3

Is anyone else concerned that now that the former fireman is dead, the arsonist Holt put away is going to be stuck serving three life terms instead of two? Just me then. OK.

Holt and Santiago can still submit the evidence and get the wrongful convictions overturned. But then the arsons in question end up never being officially solved because of the primary suspect being deceased.

OK episode, but it felt a bit too typical at times.  First, in the A-plot, it's basically Jake having to keep a secret from everyone, only to screw it up because he did something stupid like hit Reply All on the email, which is something I'm sure I've seen in plenty of sitcoms.  I guess to be fair, Boyle popping up behind him was suppose to show that he panicked, and wasn't fully paying attention, but I would like to think someone like Jake would not fall for that trap.  Then, there is the B-plot, which basically ends on a diarrhea gag, which is never one of my favorites; even if Andre Braugher sold the hell out of it.

Then again, there was other obvious humor that actually worked for me.  Boyle's humping dogs actually did make me laugh, mainly because of how Boyle defended them ("they are passionate!")  Jake overworking himself to keep Terry in the dark, only for Holt to ruin it, made me laugh too.  And the "Nutrition Bricks."  That's so Holt!  Also, Boyle's idea for a bowling name sounds as awesomely bad as I would expect from him.

But, again, I really do like that Jake really wanted to be a good friend to Terry, and the majority of the stuff he did was goofy, but it came from the right place.  And, I do think it's impressive for him that he sold his old car to finally pay Terry off.  I like how they continue to grow the Jake character.

I actually think Rosa was one of my favorites this episode.  She was mainly just supporting, but a lot of her reaction shots and lines just killed me.  She really is great when she's just shaking her head at the stupidity that surrounds her.

• Love 2

AB can do no wrong imo, so his scenes were my favorites. Loved his no-flavor nutrition bars. REALLY loved when he let out a little laugh. What did he call it? A rip-roarer?

But there was a lot of other stuff I liked. Boyle wheeling Jake around in the chair was a great sight gag. 

I don't think this was a particularly strong ep, but no ep is ever a waste of time.

• Love 4

Jake and Terry in the gym. That's it. The rest can just be recalled.

And Boyle's dogs being even hornier than usual. I doubt we'll ever see them again, but it was still a great sight gag of Jake washing two while the third is humping his leg.

The shot of Terry Crews with those weights - I just said "Dear God" in astonishment.  I've never seen anyone do curls with that much weight.  Patrick Willis is hiding his head in shame.

Who doesn't find a horny dog funny?   Three maybe overkill though.

Whole wheat no flavor nutrition bricks - it's got to be better than green smoothies.

• Love 1

Another A++ episode for me. I laughed...uproariously quite a few times. Even the humping dogs were funny. Especially the part about Mr. Peabody and Sherman.

I can't imagine anyone in real life owing that much money to friends/co-workers.

Was Hurricane the only name Jake came up with that wasn't a car?

• Love 2

I liked how Holt was glad he tried the sauce, not because he liked it, but because it would make a good story to tell Kevin.

"Today at work, I ate street meat on a stakeout. And I tried a sauce I could not identify, but didn't care for it." I think Kevin really would like that story.

I can only echo others really. Not the best episode, and hit a bit too hard on old tropes (unexpected bodily functions, secrets accidentally revealed and then attempted cover ups), but it was all executed pretty well.

I liked the cold open, with the talk of Rosa's plans with Marcus. Again, it's a little scene that captures so much about the characters and the show. Rosa is emotionally stunted, Boyle is effusive and over-eager, Gina is meddlesome, Amy is a worrier and a planner, Jake is impulsive and not particularly helpful.

But Jake's heart is in the right place, and I like that his excitement for Terry was genuine and the godfather thing was more of a 'wouldn't it be cool if I was this kid's godfather' than some sort of 'you have to have this baby so I can be a godfather'. I think a lot of manchild type stories would have focused far more on what Jake expects to get out of this whole thing. But first he emptied his bank account to pay Terry back, then he agreed to wash Rosa's bike, Charles's horny dogs and massage Scully's butt, to gain Terry's forgiveness. He's a good guy, and I really like the friendship between him and Terry.

I guess it was for storyline purposes, but it's a shame Amy was excluded from the scene where everyone revealed how much money Jake owed them. As his partner, and one who is well aware of his "crushing debt", it'd be interesting to see whether he owes her a fortune because she's kind, or nothing because she's smart.

For some reason, Charles doesn't strike me as a guy who would have three large dogs. One large one or three little ones? Sure. But his living situation would surely prohibit him having pets that need that much space. Though maybe they belong to his ex-wife and her fiancé.

Loved Amy sucking up to Holt, and him crushing her in that deadpan way of his as he revealed that he'd already solved the case. The kicker was her last grasp at "I could drive" and Holt's dry-as-the-Sahara, "you can't. You don't know where it is." Melissa Fumero is so good, playing that nervous, manic energy off Andre Braugher's granite demeanour.

Finger Holes is an amazing name for a bowling alley. Or a brothel.

• Love 5

But Jake's heart is in the right place, and I like that his excitement for Terry was genuine and the godfather thing was more of a 'wouldn't it be cool if I was this kid's godfather' than some sort of 'you have to have this baby so I can be a godfather'. I think a lot of manchild type stories would have focused far more on what Jake expects to get out of this whole thing. 

I liked Jake being excited about the whole Godfather thing. I also liked when Jake was excited about being the Godfather he didn't do a bad Marlon Brando impression, but instead a really bad Al Pacino impression (I think).

• Love 1

I haven't seen the episode -- are Charles' dogs not Richard and Dan, the ones that Holt gave him in Pontiac Bandit?

I love the show but it disappoints me that the writers seem to have so many continuity fails.  On the other hand, Golden Girls couldn't even decide on the layout of the house and is still one of the best shows ever, so maybe I shouldn't care so much about continuity.

Edited by dusang

What are the many continuity failures? I tend not to focus on that sort of thing (or maybe I'm just slow), so I must have missed a bunch.

Well, things like Holt's aversion to food (The Party vs. the episode where Boyle tries to teach him to cook), the TV in Holt's bedroom (The Party vs. Beach House), Jake going to the dentist (The Party vs. Payback), Boyle's dogs (Pontiac Bandit vs. Payback).  Just little things.

I haven't seen the episode -- are Charles' dogs not Richard and Dan, the ones that Holt gave him in Pontiac Bandit?

I love the show but it disappoints me that the writers seem to have so many continuity fails.  On the other hand, Golden Girls couldn't even decide on the layout of the house and is still one of the best shows ever, so maybe I shouldn't care so much about continuity.

Well Charles has 3 dogs in the episode, including (what appears to be) the 2 the Holt gave him.  I wouldn't consider it a continuity fail because I just assumed he got the third sometime after he'd been given the others.

Well Charles has 3 dogs in the episode, including (what appears to be) the 2 the Holt gave him.  I wouldn't consider it a continuity fail because I just assumed he got the third sometime after he'd been given the others.

Fair enough -- I hadn't seen the episode at that point.  Watching the episode, though, I have to wonder what kind of dog Karate is, because Cheddar is not that big!!

Edited by dusang

Well, things like Holt's aversion to food (The Party vs. the episode where Boyle tries to teach him to cook), the TV in Holt's bedroom (The Party vs. Beach House), Jake going to the dentist (The Party vs. Payback), Boyle's dogs (Pontiac Bandit vs. Payback).  Just little things.

I don't consider the TV thing a "continuity fail".   Holt doesn't say when he found out that "they say not to have a TV in the bedroom"  (so he doesn't.)  That could have happened in the past year since the party episode, and he has since removed the television set.   If they had run this episode first and then the party episode happened and he had a television in his bedroom, then I would agree that that could be seen as a continuity failure, but not in this case.

• Love 2

I don't consider the TV thing a "continuity fail".   Holt doesn't say when he found out that "they say not to have a TV in the bedroom"  (so he doesn't.)  That could have happened in the past year since the party episode, and he has since removed the television set.   If they had run this episode first and then the party episode happened and he had a television in his bedroom, then I would agree that that could be seen as a continuity failure, but not in this case.

That's the most likely explanation but I stand by my theory that the TV belongs only to Kevin and not Holt.

• Love 2

I really appreciate that, even with the slapstick and over the top antics they put the characters through, at the heart of it, the characters (except for Gina) are good people with good intentions.

Loved the little bit of physical comedy from AB right after he announces something wrong in his gastrointestinal tract. He and Amy start to walk to the car, and then he suddenly quickens his step, indicating that the situation just got more urgent. Amy's "oh! Right..." and hustle to keep up were a bonus.

Dumb question: how was $1200 (or whatever the amount was) going to make such a big difference to Terry's impending fatherhood? I can understand him cutting Jake off and not lending him any more money, but I didn't really see how getting that money back IMMEDIATELY would suddenly be some big problem solved.

I also cannot believe how much money Jake owed everyone. Are these people nuts? Honestly, if he'd got as high as $100, I'd have cut him off (though it's totally in-character for Boyle to keep giving). I did love how, in his recounting of how Jake owes him over $4000, he nickels and dimes him with "bought you a soda on x date, bought you lunch on x date" and then, just when I thought we'd flashforward 20 minutes later to him still listing such tiny purchases, he busts out "and $4000 for a stereo system." Ha! Did not see that coming. Well done, Show. Well done.

It does make me wonder where Amy fits in to all this. Would Jake, who has had a crush on her for a long time, want to borrow money from her? Or would he want to keep his crappy financial situation from her?

I too would like to have seen Holt regale Kevin that evening with the story of his day. So much excitement!!  :)

As far as why Terry need the money, if they thought they weren't having anymore kids they might have gotten rid of all their baby stuff. Strollers, cribs and carseats are expensive. But mostly I figured it was just irrational freakout.

• Love 2

As far as why Terry need the money, if they thought they weren't having anymore kids they might have gotten rid of all their baby stuff. Strollers, cribs and carseats are expensive. But mostly I figured it was just irrational freakout.

Irrational freakout? Terry Jeffords? Come on, man!

• Love 1

I just caught up on this episode.  Was anyone else bothered by the fact that Terry's wife was pregnant?  After all, from what I remember about the vasectomy episode, Terry made her seem pretty adamant about being done with having kids.

Otherwise, I actually had a few good laughs in this episode.  I liked the partnerships, although this cast has great chemistry so pretty much any combo works.  In addition to the things already mentioned, I giggled at the "yahoo answers" line when Jake wanted to know more about parenting.

• Love 2