Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Anyone else feel like the sudden addition of more political topics is because CC wants Hardwick to get some experience/cred there in case they have to make any moves in the next year or so?

@Midnight is easier to find a replacement for (Funches, Lennon, Tompkins, Wheaton, etc) than say The Daily Show where you need someone who is more known for doing political humor/satire.

Edited by Skyfall

Steve Agee was terrible again. I'm wondering if he's doing it on purpose now. At least his terribleness got turned into something funny with Chris making fun of the "You guys...".

Though I for one appreciated his "Sad Jeff" callback.

• Love 1

Strangely, I started laughing uncontrollably at Steve Agee's "you guys..." before CH meta'd it. It felt like the SP "Cancelled" ep where Cartman keeps farting in Kyle's face ("okay, okay, it's funny again"). Yeah, I guess I have a low sense of humor at times.

Chris' utterly atrocious blathering about that BTTF Illuminati horseshit was beyond a waste of time. It's the first time I've ever actually FF'd through part of the show. When they cut to the contestants during it, even they couldn't muster up fake smiles.

Strangely, I started laughing uncontrollably at Steve Agee's "you guys..." before CH meta'd it. It felt like the SP "Cancelled" ep where Cartman keeps farting in Kyle's face ("okay, okay, it's funny again"). Yeah, I guess I have a low sense of humor at times.

Maybe it's because I was so tired, but by the end, I was laughing uncontrollably at "You guys... grey corn."  

• Love 1

Dear Show, Please never book Chris Delia and Whitney Cummings for the same panel again. Just book them a room at the No Tell Motel and spare the rest of us. Thanks.

I like both and their chemistry (not sure if they were friends before their show together) is great. Those two plus Funches would be a great show.

• Love 1

What was D'elia looking at throughout the whole first segment? Did he not know where the camera was? 

I laughed really hard when Ian landed a good line, and Whitney moved to grab him (as she'd been grabbing Chris all ep) and his body stiffened up just enough to convey oh, no, you won't, and she was left hanging in mid-air.  

• Love 1

What was D'elia looking at throughout the whole first segment? Did he not know where the camera was? 

That's the only thing that irks me about D'elia -- he plays to the studio audience instead of the camera. He's not the only guest who does it, but he overdoes it.

• Love 1

Eliza Coupe? is orange. That is all

So orange! It was distracting!

I have to admit I am tempted to skip the Whitney/Chris D'elia ep. I did like his last one in spite of myself, but mostly, I find them really irritating.

I finally binge-watched all four shows from this week -- and the Tuesday show (with Alex Borstein and Greg Proops) and the Extended Thursday show (with Ian, Whitney and Chris D'Elia) made me laugh the most. 

Chris D'Elia is normally kind of off-putting, but he really ruled that Synoptic Nerves game -- and he has the the reflexes of an inebriated Dr. Johnny Fever from WKRP in Cincinnati.

Tinder Drive-Thru Cunnilingus Shack.  Thank you Alex Borstein.

• Love 2

I have to admit I am tempted to skip the Whitney/Chris D'elia ep. I did like his last one in spite of myself, but mostly, I find them really irritating.

I feel wrong saying it, but the extended episode was actually pretty good with them. I think it being extended helped since their individual jokes weren't that great, but them going on off on tangents and talking about random stuff worked for me.

• Love 1

I haven't watched last night's episode yet but I wanted to acknowledge how much I've learned from this show because I had to look up things like DTF, two girls one cup, donkey hammer, and so many more. You kids and your crazy slang these days, I tell ya.

• Love 3

I haven't watched last night's episode yet but I wanted to acknowledge how much I've learned from this show because I had to look up things like DTF, two girls one cup, donkey hammer, and so many more. You kids and your crazy slang these days, I tell ya.

Had someone recently suggest to me that we "Netflix and Chill" and I would have been completely oblivious had I not recently learned what it was code for. Thanks @midnight! Nothing happened since she was significantly younger and quite drunk so I laughed it off, but at least I knew what she was talking about. A few months ago I probably would've been "You want to just watch some shows with me? Uh I guess that's ok."

Thursday's extended show was fun. I liked Janet Varney being ashamed of her MLK joke.

Edited by Nellise

Meh. Is there a reason I should still be watching? I used to laugh a lot -- I remember that -- but the jokes seem to have run their course with me these days. It's always the lowest dirty denominator. I'm getting rid of cable and will only be watching shows online but can't come up with any pressing reason to click over to Comedy Central four days a week.

Sorry, Chris and the same recycled set of comics over and over.

I really liked Tuesday's show with Heather Anne Campbell, Derek Waters and Noel Wells. I watched both Monday's and Tuesday's shows back to back and Tuesday's was downright sweet after Monday's raunch-fest. 

Tonight is FUNCHES, so I wouldn't miss it for the world.

• Love 2

Michael Shannon was very funny, I thought.

Yeah, I actually mostly hate him when he acts because he is so over-the-top but I liked him here. He's like Eli Roth - terrible filmmaker, but pretty funny guy on @midnight.

Edited by xander874
  • Love 1

Chris totally let Rogen stay FTW because he's famous.

Yeah. I mean I'd say I was disappointed, but the bar is set pretty low for Hardwick overall, so there's really very little justification to claim I expected better.

Thursday was an odd show, felt like Chris and Ron were having their own show with the 2 others just watching them.

Haven't seen this episode yet, but Funches was also on Conan the same day and really killed, so he was definitely "on" that day (not like he isn't usually by default).

And he did two live Undatable broadcasts the next day too.  Busy week for Ronald.

Dear Show, Please never book Chris Delia and Whitney Cummings for the same panel again. Just book them a room at the No Tell Motel and spare the rest of us. Thanks.

That grouping would be the only reason I would not watch a Funches ep.

That's the second d'Elia episode in a row where I enjoyed him. I may be a bad person, but "Two in the pink...one in the head. POW!" made me laugh.

I've slightly come around on d'Elia when Cummings is not around. He's still terrible, but he's only around 85% as terrible. Undatable for example, seems to work okay despite him, because they play him as a buffoon, and to his credit he goes along with that. When he's on a set with Whitney Cummings though, the joint smuggery is just too damn much. You'd almost HAVE to have someone as likable as Ron Funches there to take the edge off, but of course the danger there is that if it backfires people might resent Funches for even being involved.

Edited by Kromm

Funches - oh how I love his laugh/giggle!  This most recent appearance I noticed him rocking his body side to side almost constantly - does he normally do this?

When Chris was doing voiceovers for  the Punch Berries cereal, his hippo voice sounded like Snaggle Puss.

No, Funches doesn't usually rock. I love the guy, but that's one of the hardest things for me to watch (I get vicariously motion sick), so I hope whatever was causing it resolves (my guess would be sore back or feet).

I never would of imagined someone swaying back and forth would make someone else sick. That is not the first time I've seen him rock in place. I've seen him do it many times before.

It's a fat guy thing. I do it too.  Got to keep moving the weight back and forth otherwise your feet and legs start to hurt if they are in one place position for too long.  Plus he was probably high so he might have been doing it more subconsciously than normal.

Yea last night was the first time in a long time I didnt at least chuckle once at any of the set ups much less what the panel responses were.  Maybe everyone was still in vacation mode and phoned it in.

The way some of you feel about Whitney or D'elia? Apparently I feel the same about Tiffany Haddish. Had to stop watching halfway through. She just couldn't stop talking, and none of it was funny. Hey, comics? Long, drawn-out jokes and personal anecdotes don't really work on this show.

(Ahem. That goes for Hartwick, too, but he remains undeterred in making the show a bully pulpit for his beliefs.)

I was surprised to hear a couple of Kobe Rapist jokes. Pleased, mind you, just surprised. I thought everyone had agreed to pretend it never happened.

What? Like a Cosby Two Years Ago deal?

I thought Wednesday's show was the funniest it's been for several weeks now. Such a different energy! Please make panels more diverse, @M! It's been a while since I've guffawed out loud, but I did several times.

• Love 1

(Ahem. That goes for Hartwick, too, but he remains undeterred in making the show a bully pulpit for his beliefs.)

He doesn't push beliefs or an agenda as much as a desperate need for attention/to be the focus. He always seems afraid someone might forget he's there for a moment or two and pay attention to the panelists instead of him.

I thought it was nice that Maron at least tried to make a few non-dick jokes. Unfortunately, the show kept pushing things back to Penistown with their set ups. I'm getting tired of it. I don't mind some dick jokes, I really don't. But even Tosh.O finds some non-dick things on the internet worth talking about.

I thought Wednesday's show was the funniest it's been for several weeks now. Such a different energy! Please make panels more diverse...

I totally agree. 

As for last night's show, did anyone else think Chris and the writers' room named that category using the phrase WTF just to get in Marc Maron's head? :D

I want to like Marc Maron, but my reaction to him is always, "Hey, can you get the fuck over yourself for, maybe, 10 minutes or so? Please?" And he never, ever does. Which wears me out. YMMV, naturally.

• Love 2

I want to like Marc Maron, but my reaction to him is always, "Hey, can you get the fuck over yourself for, maybe, 10 minutes or so? Please?" And he never, ever does. Which wears me out. YMMV, naturally.

If Maron was just grumpy I could deal with it. But he's also smug and self-righteous. 

• Love 1

I really enjoyed last night's show (I'm glad I stayed up late 'cause "The Daily Show" ran about 5 minutes over!). I thought the panel was very funny. Brian Posehn is one of my faves; I wasn't familiar with Rick Overton but I liked him a lot, and I was glad Chris kept him around for FTW. It was kind of sweet when he said Rick was his first friend in comedy. And #InternetTheBeatles is the best HTW they've had in a while.

• Love 2