Type keyword(s) to search

The Shows of 2015: More Indecipherable Seasonings

Bella
  • Start Topic

Remember, though, Scott Conant has a vested interest in treating artisan pasta as a holy relic not to be profaned. It would be really difficult for him to charge upper east side fine dining prices for six ounces of artfully plated designer spaghetti with $1.26 worth of sauce if it wasn't much too good for mere cooks (he feels very strongly that non-professionals should not be allowed to compare their food to the food of chefs).

• Love 5

the most recent show depicted the dilemma most chefs face.   CRAB as a dessert ingredient.  So -  do you go for "it doesn't taste like a dessert, it has a fishy flavor to it,"  or for "good dessert, but one of the basket ingredients is so hidden I can't even taste it" ??   either one has the potential to get you chopped.   

And, it seemed to me, that when the clock ran out, neither chef had touched the gold leaf.  Yet the finished desserts had sprinkles of gold leaf on top.   (If it's just a garnish, why is it in the basket?  it's like throwing expensive sprinkles on top of something) 

• Love 2

the most recent show depicted the dilemma most chefs face.   CRAB as a dessert ingredient.  So -  do you go for "it doesn't taste like a dessert, it has a fishy flavor to it,"  or for "good dessert, but one of the basket ingredients is so hidden I can't even taste it" ??   either one has the potential to get you chopped.   

And, it seemed to me, that when the clock ran out, neither chef had touched the gold leaf.  Yet the finished desserts had sprinkles of gold leaf on top.   (If it's just a garnish, why is it in the basket?  it's like throwing expensive sprinkles on top of something) 

Yeah, that's the problem with gold leaf as a basket ingredient. It actually is throwing inedible expensive sprinkles on top of something. For a show where the judges have the vapors when you can't eat everything on the plate, it's a ridiculous thing to ask chefs to cook with.

• Love 1

I mean I'm going "aww you can't eat a poor camel" while contemplating what to make for dinner with the ground beef that was in my fridge

People in desert areas have been eating camels for centuries.  Camel is actual pretty common in Middle Eastern and North African cuisine.  According to contestants on one Amazing Race, where they had to cook and eat ground camel, it tastes like very high quality, slightly fattier ground beef.  (That episode sort of made me want to try camel someday.)  But yeah, the goat jaw thing and the unlaid eggs quicked me out.  I mean, I eat chicken and eggs, and I've tried goat, but that doesn't mean I want to see teeth and eyes and such.  (You can call me a hypocrite if you like - I'll cop to that.)

• Love 3

Today they are airing an episode in which the chefs have to create a pizza in each round. No matter what the ingredients are.

Of the four chefs, one of them is an Italian who's specialty is..... pizza! I hate when they do this. It's like that episode where everything was vegetarian and the lone vegan chef won. Does production think we're stupid? I feel like they are making fun of us as viewers when they do these types of shows where a ringer is in the mix. Like watching a focus group, they would like to know how many viewers figure it out and how many are clueless.

Naturally, pizza chef won.

• Love 1

I'm watching the "Hot Stuff" episode right now where they had chilies in every episode. I'm still early in the episode, but it is cracking me up how almost every commercial break so far has included Nexium 24 for heartburn.

I am kind of a wimp about cooking with chilies unless it's for salsa, so I'm hoping I might even learn something or get some ideas from this one. Other than Use Nexium, I already knew that part.

• Love 2

I was sort of glad that woman went out first. She annoyed me for some reason. When I heard "ghost peppers" I think my whole body tensed up for a second. A friend gave me a bunch of those from his garden and I used ONE in a bunch of other sweeter not-as-hot peppers for pickling. Man.... it will take the fur off your tongue.

• Love 1

I suspect that the reason the basket ingredient was ghost pepper beef jerky and not the chili itself was so that no one would go too crazy with it.  But how interesting and not at all coincidental was it that a guy who makes hot sauce was one of the cheftestants?  Surely they would never deliberately "seed" the competition with a subject matter expert.  That's like putting a vegetarian chef on an episode featuring vegetarian food...

Oh... ;)

• Love 3

Ooh, a new thing to play for (on Masterchef, etc.): that contestant's ballet teacher!

When they spent so much time bending over backwards to say that Meny totally didn't mean to sort of steal Denzil's ice cream, I knew Meny had won.

One thing that was odd to me is they asked Meny why he wanted to win and he talked about providing his wife and daughter financial security, being home more, etc. But then when they asked what he'd do with the money, he was like "Take my wife on a honeymoon." Not saying it can't be both, but why not just say that? Plenty of people have responded they'd take a trip with the money, plenty of people have responded they'd provide for their family -- but very few have changed their answer that I can remember. It seemed like he either decided he sounded bad with the trip answer or it was a rare unguarded moment that deviated from his canned "Why, provide for my family, of course" answer.

Ooh, a new thing to play for (on Masterchef, etc.): that contestant's ballet teacher!

When they spent so much time bending over backwards to say that Meny totally didn't mean to sort of steal Denzil's ice cream, I knew Meny had won.

One thing that was odd to me is they asked Meny why he wanted to win and he talked about providing his wife and daughter financial security, being home more, etc. But then when they asked what he'd do with the money, he was like "Take my wife on a honeymoon." Not saying it can't be both, but why not just say that? Plenty of people have responded they'd take a trip with the money, plenty of people have responded they'd provide for their family -- but very few have changed their answer that I can remember. It seemed like he either decided he sounded bad with the trip answer or it was a rare unguarded moment that deviated from his canned "Why, provide for my family, of course" answer.

I really wish they would stop showing/forcing this redundant question as a prerequisite. Unless the person has an unsolicited remarkable reason it's not worth mentioning. Who doesn't need money to provide for themselves? Unless they're ready to change the name to Chopped: Plights or Chopped: Best Beggars.

• Love 5

But how interesting and not at all coincidental was it that a guy who makes hot sauce was one of the cheftestants?

I don't mind at all when they have "qualified" chefs as long as they all are.  All lunch ladies.  All barbecue people.  All food truck owners.  Etc.  Running in one "expert" who is the only one who specializes in hot sauce or vegetarian cooking and then having a theme that favors that person annoys me even if the expert doesn't win.

It seems to me that requiring a contestant to take the time to clean the ice cream machine gives the person who got there first an unfair advantage.  Staff should zip in and run the rinse cycle off camera the second the first person is finished with the machine.

• Love 1

Why not have two ice cream machines/ For some reason I think that Chopped Canada has two machines. I find the part of the chefs having to be the first to grab a piece of equipment really stupid. Come on network, you already have cutthroat kitchen for that sort of crappy action.

I feel each chef should have the same opportunity to use equipment. Several episodes ago the theme was hamburgers and each chef was given huge chunks of beef. Well guess what, every chef's grinder that first round did not operate. They all ended up chopping the meat by hand. Funny, all grinders worked for the second round. They must have had the grinder repair man in to fix them.

• Love 3

The grinder thing - IIRC, the grinders worked a little differently and three of the contestants, when coupled with nerves and a 20 minute time limit, could not get them to work. But one guy did have experience with that type of grinder and had no problem using it. I could be mis-remembering, though.

It seems to me that requiring a contestant to take the time to clean the ice cream machine gives the person who got there first an unfair advantage.  Staff should zip in and run the rinse cycle off camera the second the first person is finished with the machine.

There was an instance with the ice cream machine in the past (I think) where Ted asked "Do you want production to clean that for you?" and they did it.

Yes, & it still bugs me that they apparently did this once for someone, & never do it for anyone else. Ted didn't even actually ask the contestant, he told the contestants that production would clean it for them.

Yes, & it still bugs me that they apparently did this once for someone, & never do it for anyone else. Ted didn't even actually ask the contestant, he told the contestants that production would clean it for them.

Thank you for remembering that correctly for me. I just knew it had happened before. Wish I could remember who it was.

Thank you for remembering that correctly for me. I just knew it had happened before. Wish I could remember who it was.

I can't remember either, I can't even remember if they were male or female. I just remember that something had gone wrong with their dish, & they decided to try & make ice cream at the last minute & Ted made a big deal of it & said they didn't have to clean the machine because it would be done for them. 

• Love 1

I don't mind at all when they have "qualified" chefs as long as they all are.  All lunch ladies.  All barbecue people.  All food truck owners.  Etc.  Running in one "expert" who is the only one who specializes in hot sauce or vegetarian cooking and then having a theme that favors that person annoys me even if the expert doesn't win.

I agree with this.  A "very special episode" is only fair if everyone has the same advantage going in.

There was an instance with the ice cream machine in the past (I think) where Ted asked "Do you want production to clean that for you?" and they did it.

Wasn't that one of the "star" or "celebrity" episodes?  I vaguely remember that it was only because I remember it bugging me that it was the only time I've ever seen them do it.

I'm with those who think they should just get two of the darn things. They probably spend enough stocking the pantry every episode to cover the cost of a second machine, and they shouldn't need more than 2. I hate the whole "race for the ice cream machine" aspect of the dessert rounds.

• Love 3

Wasn't that one of the "star" or "celebrity" episodes?  I vaguely remember that it was only because I remember it bugging me that it was the only time I've ever seen them do it.

It was either a celebrity episode or an All-star episode. I think it might have been one of the all-star rounds. I just remember Ted saying that they would have production clean the ice cream machine and thinking "Hm, they don't normally do that. I guess it's because it's a special episode."

• Love 1

Wasn't there an episode where the contestant didn't clean out the ice cream machine before using it and the judges liked the combination of flavors better than they liked the contestant's ice cream alone?

And home come they only had two containers of cream in the fridge?  First contestant there took it all, and the second lady (who ended up winning) had to punt and use buttermilk.  It's not like they can't afford to have plenty of stuff on hand for all needs. 

• Love 2

Wasn't there an episode where the contestant didn't clean out the ice cream machine before using it and the judges liked the combination of flavors better than they liked the contestant's ice cream alone?

I don't remember that one specifically, but it seemed like almost the same thing happened on the Hot Stuff episode that just aired. Yet another reason for two ice cream machines, in my opinion - the judges shouldn't be judging something the contestant didn't even technically make.

• Love 1

I suspect part of the reason for limited resources may be to keep the chefs for all going down the same path. The baskets ingredients will often lend themselves to particular preparation. There are times the contestants make almost the exact same thing and if they're fighting over the ice cream maker or deep fryer they're probably going for a similar dish. If they could find some way to prevent getting two versions of bread pudding I'm sure they would.

• Love 4

I agree with this.  A "very special episode" is only fair if everyone has the same advantage going in.

How I long for a non-special episode.  I can't remember the last one.  But I lost about half my interest in the show when they eliminated the judging to make more room for sob stories, anyway.

• Love 4

Just watching the BBQ show now and I mostly like the contestants.  Still no judging discussion - just stories.  Although one guy's story was wanting to buy a motorcycle and go on an adventure, so that was pretty cool.

Don't they normally have a stovetop smoking thing or a smoking gun on Chopped?  I thought it was an odd choice to not have it available on the BBQ edition, but maybe I'm mixing it up with other shows. Surely someone could have over-smoked the partially cooked ribs or something if they wanted some drama.  I also didn't like how they were so limited in their definition of BBQ, especially such regional sauces.

I'm surprised neither one made an ice cream for dessert.  That was my first thought too. I actually thought the smoothie was a good idea to avoid the ice cream machine fight, but it's too bad one of them didn't go for it.

I just "watched" the BBQ episode, & by "watched" I pretty much mean had on as background noise & I can't remember any of the dishes. This show needs an upgrade.

• Love 4

Ha GaT I was thinking that too. I "watched" it but I had to rewind several times to remind me what the basket ingredients even were. I think "already cooked for you baby back ribs" might've been one of the lamest ingredients they've used in awhile.

• Love 1

Don't they normally have a stovetop smoking thing or a smoking gun on Chopped?

Yes to both. I think they take away things like that when you'd expect to find them as part of the way you like to cook BBQ at home.

• Love 1

Yes to both. I think they take away things like that when you'd expect to find them as part of the way you like to cook BBQ at home.

Thanks for confirming I wasn't nuts, at least this time. around. :)  I like to BBQ as well as smoke stuff, and I like trying different things, but they happened to pick two kinds of BBQ sauce I really, really don't like at all. That was kind of a bummer. I liked how gracious the competitors were though.

I have the stovetop smoker pan they sometimes use, and it rocks! I have an outdoor smoker as well, and Thanksgiving is always filled with a smoky neighborhood, thanks to me. :)

I love the vinegar-based sauces. Sauer's is my favorite. I have to order it online since I don't live in Virginia anymore where it was on every store shelf.

• Love 1

I don't understand how that banana half was a winning dish... there was nothing to it. A banana split needs ice cream, or even some sort of cake or cookie... I mean, a half a banana with some stuff on it??? I was floored that he won. The other guys other dishes must have been a lot worse than they sounded if his overall meal was worse. I know it sounded like his dessert wasn't perfect either, but it looked like he actually did something with the basket items.

• Love 5

The winners appetizer sauce was described as "poo sauce" by one of the contestants. And it kinda did look like it I gotta say.

I now want to try this vinegar sauce that is so polarizing. I'm in Texas, so what's a good online source?

And BBQ sauce in chocolate? No, no way and never. In that order. Gag.

There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance on this show, and last night's winner was more on the arrogant side, for me. I was really pulling for the other guy so he could help his mom. For once, the sob story wasn't overplayed and it didn't bother me. Maybe because I've been through something similar with an aunt of mine. Anyway, the entree round with that steak the winning chef coated in all of those spices....Maneet shot him down on that and he had the funniest look on his face. "How dare she not LOVE my food??"

Not using the oven was a good twist. No bread pudding!!

• Love 1

I now want to try this vinegar sauce that is so polarizing. I'm in Texas, so what's a good online source?

I'm from eastern NC and everybody has their own bbq sauce recipe.  Here's a basic recipe if you want to make some at home.  I don't usually measure things so I'm guesstimating on amounts. Adjust to taste. :)

2 cups of Apple Cider Vinegar

2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar

1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes

salt and pepper (I eyeball but 1 tsp each is probably about right.

1 tablespoon of Texas Pete (you can use Tabasco or Franks or whatever, but Texas Pete is the best :) )

Heat on low heat and whisk until sugar is melted and everything is blended together. Let sit for a few hours, a day is probably best.

Some people add different things to their sauce: garlic, butter, honey, ketchup (sacrilege!), cayenne, water, molasses, etc.  But a true ENC bbq sauce usually only has the ingredients I listed.  And adjust sugar, salt, pepper, to taste. 

• Love 1

There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance on this show, and last night's winner was more on the arrogant side, for me.

He bugged me for his dismissal of everyone other than his former boss, despite knowing sod all about them.  Once that chef was eliminated, he was convinced he had it in the bag.  Now, after the entrée round, he did -- he'd clearly won the first two, so even if his competitor blew him away in the dessert round (which, of course, he did) he'd still have the victory.  But a) he acted like that from the beginning and b) he expressed it in obnoxious ways.

That entrée basket most raved over was something I was decidedly unenthusiastic about.  I can't stand fava beans - and thus I wouldn't have known to do the second peeling, either - I prefer hanger steak that has been marinated for a while, and I'm confident my reaction to whatever that fish roe concoction was would be the same as last night's female chef.  But the champ's dish did look good.

The dessert basket containing all sweet items would not remotely have been a problem for me.  And I don't even eat sweets that often.  But when I have dessert, I want it sweet.

• Love 1