Type keyword(s) to search

The Shows of 2015: More Indecipherable Seasonings

Bella
  • Start Topic

Not a very impressive episode. When the judges were discussing the relative merits of the two finalists' dishes, it sounded like a discussion of flawed plates that would typically get a contestant bounced in the first round.

I wonder how much the contestants were "encouraged" to use Lee & Perrin. 

Shocking Twist!!!! Two associated contestants, engaged couple in this case, and they don't end up in a face off as the last two!!! OMG!!

Instead, in a amazing display of backyard cooking that I've only seen topped by my buzzed neighbor last Sunday, the contestants were sent home in random order.

• Love 6

Another display of "WHAT THE HELL" cooking. Totally disappointed in this "Grillmasters" competition. I wanted to see some sort of meat protein but no we get seafood. Something you don't see all that often on the grill. What was so special about that shrimp? The size was large but other than that what made it something to feature? Not one "chef" really used any imagination except for the lady that was chopped first because her asparagus didn't taste grilled.

• Love 1

I skip through the intros so I don't have to hear about crap like contestants being engaged, but that's too much to hope for.  But the woman who won was the first contestant I've even come close to rooting for in the GM competition, so I'm glad she won.  I'm not a huge lobster fan (once a year is enough for me) and I've never cooked a live one, either, but I have watched enough FN to put a knife through it's head before I stuck it live on the grill to run around burning its toes and thinking "Oww, oww, ouch" in lobster.

• Love 4
(edited)

I usually try to take things at face value without thinking "conspiracy" and so on but.......................... This whole tournament feels manipulated to me.  That woman who won should have been chopped after the first course for not transforming anything.  I wasn't impressed with anything she did.  I thought Harry was far more creative and did a lot more work.  I didn't understand some of the decisions in the first two episodes either.  Maybe it's just me but I felt many times like the judges were really reaching to justify their decisions.

I understand why they're using Tim Love as a grilling judge.  I just don't like him.  I do not understand using Scott Conant, the stuffed shirt.  I kept waiting for a snippy speech about someone disrespecting the lobsters.  I can think of half a dozen chefs who show up on FN who would be a better fit for grilling and BBQ. 

I forgot to say that I was horrified when the ultimate winner put her lobsters live onto the grill.  She clearly didn't know how to handle them and said as much but she should have watched the others or asked before doing something that was actually animal cruelty.  If ever Scott had reason to seethe with indignation, that should have been it.  I couldn't believe that Ted and all the judges just sat there and watched and then ultimately gave her the win.  She should have been chopped for that alone.

Edited by mlp
  • Love 6

Yeah, I was waiting for a "respect the ingredients" lecture.  Which is the kind of thing that I usually despise, but that's because it's often used in reference to ingredients that are either plants or already DEAD.  

• Love 2

I forgot to say that I was horrified when the ultimate winner put her lobsters live onto the grill.  She clearly didn't know how to handle them and said as much but she should have watched the others or asked before doing something that was actually animal cruelty.  If ever Scott had reason to seethe with indignation, that should have been it.  I couldn't believe that Ted and all the judges just sat there and watched and then ultimately gave her the win.  She should have been chopped for that alone.

For Scott to have ripped a woman apart over using tongs to hold a fish in a previous show .... and said nothing about that poor lobster (sorry, I am still reeling over Cecil), made no sense to me. If I ever meet him in person, I may have to be sure I have tongs in my purse. No telling where they might wind up.....

• Love 2

I knew a family that owned an ocean front compound, Every year, they would throw a party featuring grilled lobster for their friends, friends of friends, friends of their children etc. 

They footed the bill for everything, but had a rule that you had to kill (split in half with a knife) your own lobster before you tossed it on the grill in order to eat. 

I felt bad for those lobsters, but it was really good.

For Scott to have ripped a woman apart over using tongs to hold a fish in a previous show .... and said nothing about that poor lobster (sorry, I am still reeling over Cecil), made no sense to me. If I ever meet him in person, I may have to be sure I have tongs in my purse. No telling where they might wind up.....

Lobsters. She roasted two alive. Of course, I find boiling alive heinous as well. Tip of a knife in the back of the head is supposedly the most humane way to dispatch the poor lil things. And I love lobster, I just can't eat it often due to the treatment. (And I'm so upset over Cecil, I feel a physical pain in my chest when I think about it and begin to cry :.(

ITA on Conant and his inconsistency. The dead fish didn't give a rat's ass what was used on him/her. And for all his spewing about disrespect, he said it was well cooked! He's an asshole. And I will poke him with tongs with you.

I think Harry got hosed. At least he tried to be creative. This whole tournament is so far out the last one's league it's not even funny. Easier baskets, worse results and not a cheftestant fit to dust off Kent Rollins boots.

• Love 3

Cecil is the lion shot with an arrow

Oh, of course.  I've been following that awful story and somehow the name Cecil just eluded me.  Thank you.

Beyond how cruel the cooking of the lobsters on the grill was (which is incredibly), this really is the most underwhelming Chopped tournament I've ever witnessed. The basket ingredients have been mostly easy, but the dishes produced have been unappetizing and ...pedestrian is too kind a description. I think the mistake was having competitive BBQ folks. If it had even been head chefs at "renowned" BBQ restaurants, we might have had better showings. This has just been pathetic. The thing that is most appalling is that the competitors seem to display no real expertise when using the any of the grills or the smoker. They can't cook. They can't grill. And they don't have enough time to really smoke or barbeque. This is worse than watching me or my neighbor in the backyard because at least in our yards we produce something edible when we finish cooking.

I'm surprised that only one chef decided to use the smoker with the seafood. Shrimp and lobster take smoke really well and don't require a ton of time in a smoker.

• Love 1

For Scott to have ripped a woman apart over using tongs to hold a fish in a previous show .... and said nothing about that poor lobster (sorry, I am still reeling over Cecil), made no sense to me.

This is a man who will say, out loud, in front of other people, that you have *ruined the integrity of the noodle."

• Love 7

This is a man who will say, out loud, in front of other people, that you have *ruined the integrity of the noodle."

That's because, if you break store-bought uncooked spaghetti in half, the very essence of pasta leaks out of the broken ends and you have "disrespected an entire culture."  

• Love 15

That's because, if you break store-bought uncooked spaghetti in half, the very essence of pasta leaks out of the broken ends and you have "disrespected an entire culture."  

Having eaten spaghetti with children, I can no longer not break spaghetti before cooking.

I think I feel sorriest for the judges.  They are desperately trying to find a positive reason to distinguish who gets saved each and every episode and round.

• Love 4

Maybe Conant only minds when Italian ingredients are disrespected.  (I can only remember him honoring pasta and Branzino; I'm sure someone could slice red onions with a chainsaw and he wouldn't mind.)

• Love 8

Maybe Conant only minds when Italian ingredients are disrespected.  (I can only remember him honoring pasta and Branzino; I'm sure someone could slice red onions with a chainsaw and he wouldn't mind.)

Don't give them ideas. I can hear Ted now: "And in this very special episode of Chopped, the chefs can ONLY use power tools to prepare their food."

The line between this show and Cutthroat Kitchen is fuzzy enough.

• Love 2

I'd love it if one of the judges would say "You know what? You all suck. Your food sucks, you shouldn't be here. But I have to make a choice between who sucks the least."

They seriously need to with this Grilling special series. Almost none of the food has looked good - actually it's surprising how much of it has been inedible.

I was serious earlier when I posted that two former Chopped contestants told me they thought this series was some sort of joke. They cannot believe any of it. And they've been there.

Oh wow I thought you were at least halfway joking. It's true, this series is awful.

• Love 1

They think it's rigged for ratings, as if we viewers are really that dense.

I found myself fast-forwarding through the grilling episodes, and not even sticking around to see who won. It doesn't seem like Chopped.

• Love 2

::Hottie Alert!!!::

I think our favorite French boy is going to be on Cutthroat Kitchen's new Camp Cutthroat. I just saw a commerical. I need to be sure to stock up on wine and French cheeses. Or something.....

He said "Blindfolds in the kitchen???" and I literally stopped breathing with the thoughts going through my head.

• Love 5

Wow. Just finished up with the Round 3 on the DVR.

So now,2 out of 3 rounds where the winner should have been bounced in the first round, and never improved in the following rounds. Something screams a future show, series, or spate of ads with these people, because there is no other legitimate reason why these people won. In the latest episode, we thought Harry was a runaway winner, not even close to being chopped , especially by Miss 19 year old Grand Champion. My guess is she mistakenly entered herself in the Special Olympics Cooking Contest, and was given the trophy that she kept bragging about.

But seriously, 3 episodes of simple ingredients, and more burnt, raw, and downright awful dishes than I have ever seen on this show.

This winner was criticized in the 1st round for basically just putting the 4 ingredients unchanged without any real additions on her plate, and in round 2 Harry gets criticized for using too much flavor. Then she botches one lobster (but got 2 out of 3 right! ), and that is what we are led to believe pushed her to victory. Her burnt vat of bread pudding, with nary a piece of popcorn to be found, is one of the worst desserts I have seen, and there is no way she should have won.

BTW, I asked this before, and never got an answer. Does anyone know where these episodes were filmed?

• Love 2

BTW, I asked this before, and never got an answer. Does anyone know where these episodes were filmed?

Ted's backyard in NY?

A backlot space somewhere? Since they are all doing so horribly, I'd bet on the old Spahn's Movie Ranch where Charlie set up camp with his Family way back when.

Warner Brothers?

Take your pick. :)

• Love 1

So now,2 out of 3 rounds where the winner should have been bounced in the first round, and never improved in the following rounds. Something screams a future show, series, or spate of ads with these people, because there is no other legitimate reason why these people won. In the latest episode, we thought Harry was a runaway winner, not even close to being chopped , especially by Miss 19 year old Grand Champion. My guess is she mistakenly entered herself in the Special Olympics Cooking Contest, and was given the trophy that she kept bragging about.

But seriously, 3 episodes of simple ingredients, and more burnt, raw, and downright awful dishes than I have ever seen on this show.

This winner was criticized in the 1st round for basically just putting the 4 ingredients unchanged without any real additions on her plate, and in round 2 Harry gets criticized for using too much flavor. Then she botches one lobster (but got 2 out of 3 right! ), and that is what we are led to believe pushed her to victory. Her burnt vat of bread pudding, with nary a piece of popcorn to be found, is one of the worst desserts I have seen, and there is no way she should have won.

I know! I keep thinking what?  NONE of them can cook even when given decent food?  Yuck. With how horrible the dishes have been I think I'd prefer "unchanged," thank you. I had forgotten that the one who can't cook but can apparently torture animals won that one round.

Sorry, I don't know where they were filmed.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 1

I copied some of your post here and posted it on the Chopped Facebook site. You put into great words what I have been thinking since the start of this "Grilling" competition. Please don't get upset with me. Your words were far better than what I could have said.

• Love 1

Ash Fulk was on Top Chef, I can't remember if I liked him or not. He's on tonight.

It dawned on me, knowing how long it takes to tape one show, how in the heck is it always daylight? And the lighting doesn't change much, either.

I was thinking about that too. All I can come up with is since the tournament was filmed over a week, 1 day for each prelim and 1 day for the finals, all of the competitors had to be available for the entire time. That would mean they could film all of the cooking on one day and all of the interviews on another. Also, since they are outside, they could have multiple grills, smokers and whatever prepped and just take the used ones out and move the clean ones in, reducing cleanup/reset time.

At least this round of people were able to cook a bit. How in the world could spare ribs cooked for 15,16 minute be good? Is that possible? According to the judges it's very possible!

Also, fava beans. I was not opaying full attention but did they show anyone fully cleaning them? But no one got a comment about not fully cleaning them/-including the guy who grilled them whole?

It felt like the judges were reduced to praising individual components because no one was able to put together an exceptional plate as a whole. 

I don't know what's wrong, but I have not been impressed.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

Well, at least this group actually made SOME decent looking plates. Not sure about ribs having only 10-15 minutes to cook. I question the judges saying how tender they were. I have cooked way too many ribs to comprehend those comments. I do think the winner (who actually works in a restaurant) did a good job, much better than the previous three winners. She wasn't a member of the BBQ competition circuit.

I question how the producers picked the competitors. A BBQ competition is far different than a grilling competition. In a BBQ they cook just proteins and have hours to complete their item. They don't prepare meals. The BBQ champs did not fair well in this grilling event. Foodnetwork needs to revisit how they structure these special events. Having two items that require lots of prep and cook time (ribs and fava beans) in the appetizer round of 20 minutes is like setting them all up to fail. That first round was the weakest for all four. They did much better when they got the fish and 30 minutes.

• Love 1

If the cheftestants must, as it's been stated here, pay their own way to and through the competition, wouldn't the dude who wanted money to take his wife on vacation have been better served spending his money on, well, taking his wife on vacation?  And of course he had to add a sob story about her debilitating condition.  Damn FN, give it up!

And the prize money is attached to a flat-out product placement.  So by not offering interim prizes for winning the elimination rounds, FN is still cheap as shit.

• Love 4

Finally watching this on the DVR. I was honestly not all that excited to watch any more Grill Masters anything and forgot it was on there until I saw new posts here.  At least the food looked halfway decent this time. I think it's the first Grill Masters one that's making me hungry.  Also, I'm impressed they managed to get ribs cooked that fast in the appetizer round.

How do they find so many chefs who have no idea how to prepare fava beans on FN?  Seems to be a common problem. I can see where maybe it'd be partially because of so many of them being from BBQ competitions where they aren't used to cooking them, but sheesh. Although it's good that the first guy (forgot his name) managed to get the unpeeled fava beans to come out well.  I didn't even know that was possible.

I was a little annoyed by the one judge who was obviously way too familiar with the BBQ competition contestant Mike. "This doesn't have your usual seasoning..." in the appetizer round, and then "oh these are the spices I was looking for from you" (paraphrasing) in the entree round as comments bothered me. It's supposed to be about THIS competition, not whatever he's done in the past that she might have had. She was also rather obsessed with "spices."  I thought he might end up winning just because she was so familiar with him.

I thought the right person won. It'll be interesting to see if any of the other finalists get any better before the final round. If not I think Angie should have this in the bag.

Ash Fulk was on Top Chef, I can't remember if I liked him or not. He's on tonight.

Wish I'd seen this before watching. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out where I knew him from. I had to stop and google him during the ep! Now that I (vaguely) remember him, I (vaguely) recall that he was a decent guy on Top Chef, kind of like he was on Chopped: affable and competent.

Speaking of which, I thought his entree looked far better than the other two, but I guess the garlic in the pesto must have been really overpowering.

Yeah, this Grilling Chopped season has been pretty brutal.  I don't know if there's been more than one other one -- I only started watching this show about a year ago, so I have a ton to catch up on -- but the previous one I watched where they were in the Old West set and it was super windy was pretty bad, too.

Most of the baskets have been really easy, but have still been screwed up.  As echoed above, I don't understand why so many BBQ competition people are chosen for these shows.  I know they're "champions" and all, but it seems like if you enter a bunch of BBQ competitions, you're almost guaranteed to be "champion" at a few of them.  I think they just cycle around and let you win if it's been a while since the last championship.  

There are real chefs who actually know how to use a gas & charcoal grill, smoker, etc.  And pick ingredients out of the back of a truck.  Why not invite more of those?

• Love 1

I was wondering if my memory was failing, and the previous Grill contestants weren't as good as I remembered. So I went to the youtubes, and not only was Kent Rollins far better than anyone we have seen this round, so was the chef that came in second place in his preliminary (Bias alert! I think she's hot.). Sam Choy also put in an impressive performance in another round and there were probably others that I don't recall offhand.

• Love 1