Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

Sadly, I'm adding Liz to my list of poundticipants who aren't going to make it back from 600 lbs and up.     She was in such bad shape, and was so passive about everything.   Her family didn't seem to have any emotions at all.    Very strange case even for this show. 

On 9/16/2018 at 11:16 PM, aliya said:

OMGoodness, I don't know how I got here, but I'm reading the posts from the bottom up and thinking you guys are talking about Whitney. I actually checked my cable guide because I thought the show had started back up and I missed it.  Whew!

"One diabetic friend annoys me so much because she complains that she can’t keep her blood sugars level.  Well no, when you eat pecan pie every other day..."

Pecan pie!  You might as well have an insulin vial taped to your arm. I love pecan pie. Aliya jr loves it, too. As a diabetic, I haven't had pecan pie in maybe 20 years, though I have had the occasional piece (like maybe 3 a year during the holidays) of other pies. Aliya jr restricts his pecan pie to the holidays, not because he's diabetic but because that particular pie is just full of corn syrup and he doesn't want to blow up like the Hindenburg. You have to make choices. Some of them, like Wasa crackers, are not fun. 

I LOVE pecan pie. But I only eat it at the holidays because it’s so high in calories. I’m not diabetic or suffering from any illness but I feel the same way about pecan pie. It’s sugar coma heaven.

• Love 1

I suppose I should count myself lucky that I simply find pecan pie unpalatably sweet and never want it anyway.   

The one pie I can't say no to is strawberry rhubarb.  I can eat a third of the entire pie in one sitting - though if I do, it is the only thing I have for dinner that day.    And I only get it maybe two or three times a year.  

Though for me the thing that impacts my weight the most is not whether I have dessert or not, but whether I am eating out (or take-out) a lot.  When I am eating only or primarily homemade food my weight is going down (I am about 15 pounds above where I would like to be and where I were when I was in college).  When I am travelling for business and eating out three times a day, my weight balloons to the tune of 3-5 pounds gained over 4-6 weeks.  

• Love 1

What I don’t get is this: Dr. Now tells a patient to “lose tirdy pounds in one munt” and by following his diet plan, they actually DO IT. (I’m talking about the good ones like Diana) And most of them don’t do anything extra like exercise or walking around the block. Just by changing their eating habits they lose these large amounts of weight in a relatively short time.

Now I decided I needed to lose some weight (actually my scale decided for me) and I have changed my eating habits. I’ve been eating healthy foods, no carbs and no sugar, alcohol or caffeine. Sticking to 1200 calories a day. I’ve been doing this religiously for almost 3 weeks and have lost a total of only 6 lbs. Plus I try to move around more. 

i just don’t get it. How do these massively huge people lose all this weight and I just lose a tiny bit in the same time frame.  And they don’t exercise either! Life just ain’t fair.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

What I don’t get is this: Dr. Now tells a patient to “lose tirdy pounds in one munt” and by following his diet plan, they actually DO IT. (I’m talking about the good ones like Diana) And most of them don’t do anything extra like exercise or walking around the block. Just by changing their eating habits they lose these large amounts of weight in a relatively short time.

Now I decided I needed to lose some weight (actually my scale decided for me) and I have changed my eating habits. I’ve been eating healthy foods, no carbs and no sugar, alcohol or caffeine. Sticking to 1200 calories a day. I’ve been doing this religiously for almost 3 weeks and have lost a total of only 6 lbs. Plus I try to move around more. 

i just don’t get it. How do these massively huge people lose all this weight and I just lose a tiny bit in the same time frame.  And they don’t exercise either! Life just ain’t fair.

Everything is relative. Weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week is very healthy for a person who is not anywhere near 600 pounds.  Good job. 

p.s. Exercise won't help as much as you think it will with weight loss, but it will help you feel better!

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Hey Miss Chevious, I think that you should reach around and give yourself a huge pat on the back; you're doing great. ITA with dahling that a healthy rate of weight loss for us non-super morbidly obese folks is the best way. While I agree that it might seem unfair consider this:

When Dr. Now gives one of these poundticipants their 1200 calorie a day high protein, low fat, low carb diet, these folks are actually trimming a much higher percentage of their usual daily food intake than your average dieter. For instance, someone like you may have been consuming, on average, 2400 calories per day which can slowly add up to excess weight. On a 1200 calorie per day diet you would have cut your calories by 50%. However, those eating 10,000 calories daily will have cut their calories by a whopping 88%! Even more so, when Dr. Now regularly informs many of these patients that they are probably packing in "tirdy" thousand calories a day, he is essentially cutting their eating by an astounding 99.96%.

Heh heh, and we give them grief for falling off the diet wagon and being bitchy. It's kinda understandable since, with those extreme calorie restrictions, these people are "hawngree!"

If any of us just regular overweight folks tried that, we would lose a lot of weight really, really fast too. However, cutting say, 2400 calories a day by 88% would leave us with only 288 calories (cutting 99.96% from 2400 calories would leave us with a whole one calorie per day!) which would also leave us really, really dead in short order.

Just keep doing what you're doing, but please don't forego all carbs. I'm currently doing high protein and fat with lower carbs and have lost over "tirdy" pounds so far. Take care. ☺

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments and typo.
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

They have a lot of extra weight to lose, and i’m guessing that you don’t truly have much to lose?

• Love 1

The less weight you need to lose, the slower you'll lose it.   

Remember these people are going from 10 to 30,000 calories a day, down to 1,200, so they will lose a lot if they follow the plan.   Plus, they aren't drinking empty calories of sugar like soft drinks, and that takes even more calories off, because many were chugging 2 liter sugared drinks many times a day.   I bet many of the poundticipants didn't even count the sugary soda, fake juice drinks that are just like sugared Koolade, as a source of calories.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
On 9/25/2018 at 11:27 PM, Miss Chevious said:

Bigger people burn a lot more calories just to live.  To put it into perspective, my best friend and her hubby lived with me for a while.  He is very large, probably pushing 400 at 5'10.  We all got fitbits, and his wife and I on a lazy day probably burned about 1800 calories.  He was at almost 5,000 in the afternoon and got embarrassed and took it off, claiming it had to be wrong because he didn't eat that much, so who knows how much it would have been if he wore it all day.

He's a drinker and a big eater, and also had a car full of fast food bags, so I believe he ate that much.  I know there can be genetic conditions out there but no matter the cause we are overweight because we eat more calories then our bodies burn.

His wife and I both got to our goal weights and have maintained for a year now.  I lost 65 pounds and she lost 40.  To lose a pound you have to have a deficit of 3,500 calories, so someone large on a 1200 calorie a day diet is going to drop it like it's hot until they get smaller because they burn so many more calories just existing.

• Love 4

I had a weird experience this week that turned out okay.  I went to see a new doctor earlier this week  and was dreading weighing, because, I knew that I had not been as focused lately on conserving my treats. I must have looked at the scales wrong, because, I thought that I had gained 14 pounds!!!  I was so deflated when I left. I couldn't understand it. (I've lost about 50 pounds over the last 2 years.)  My clothes still fit.  So, yesterday, 2 days later, I went for my Pre-op visit (I'm having some outpatient surgery next month.)  and I've only gained 2 pounds! And, I had on my shoes and all clothes, so, I count that as one pound gain.  I was elated.  lol 

My favorite treat, besides Lemon pie is my mom's special Humming Bird cake.  OMG......there are no words.  I have to save that for Christmas time only. 

• Love 4

Thanks to all for the encouraging words. I’ll just keep at it. At least I’m going in the right direction. I’m going to pretend Dr. Now told me “10 lbs. in one munt has to go”. 

UPDATE: lost 2 more, down 8 lbs. total so far. 

Edited by Miss Chevious
Extra letters somehow got in there...
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Miss Chevious said:

Thanks to all for the encouraging words. I’ll just keep at it. At least I’m going in the right direction. I’m going to pretend Dr. Now told me “10 lbs. in one munt has to go”. 

UPDATE: lost 2 more, down 8 lbs. total so far. 

That's great.  To me, an 8 pound weight loss is awesome.  I wish that I didn't care for carbs or sweets.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, CatherineM said:

Wondering if I’m the only person on here who once weighed over 600 lbs. 

I honestly don't think I have ever even seen a person who would weigh over 600 lbs in real life.  To me, this show is a window into a completely different world, one I never even thought about before watching it.   

• Love 4

In my case I wasn’t abused as a kid. My Mom was an emotional eater so I learned bad eating habits from the beginning. I always had a weight problem, but it went nuts after an injury then I got into an abusive relationship. I was kept large to keep me from leaving. 8 years where I was practically immobile using a wheelchair.

One day I woke up and knew I would get better. Not that I could, but that I would. An answer to a prayer. Not mine because I’d given up. Lost 300 lbs. married a great guy, gained a bit back, but headed in the right direction again. Most important thing is I walk now. I did it with diet, exercise in the water, and Overeaters Anonymous. I also go to therapy every week to learn healthier ways to deal with life than eating. 

My metabolism is a mess. My skin is damaged, but I’m alive and grateful for every step I take. 

• Love 20
14 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

My metabolism is a mess. My skin is damaged, but I’m alive and grateful for every step I take. 

And I'm sitting over here in your cheering section.  I've lost half my top weight, too.  Not as much as you, but it's amazing to get to have a re-start on life.  <3

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

In my case I wasn’t abused as a kid. My Mom was an emotional eater so I learned bad eating habits from the beginning. I always had a weight problem, but it went nuts after an injury then I got into an abusive relationship. I was kept large to keep me from leaving. 8 years where I was practically immobile using a wheelchair.

One day I woke up and knew I would get better. Not that I could, but that I would. An answer to a prayer. Not mine because I’d given up. Lost 300 lbs. married a great guy, gained a bit back, but headed in the right direction again. Most important thing is I walk now. I did it with diet, exercise in the water, and Overeaters Anonymous. I also go to therapy every week to learn healthier ways to deal with life than eating. 

That's pretty incredible.  Congrats on your accomplishments!  It sounds like you really do have a plan and are focusing on your health.  How do you like Overeaters Anonymous? I suppose that's supposed to be a confidential thing, but, just curious as to whether it's like AA.   Therapy is smart too.  I get the part about waking up and just feeling it.  There's something about getting in the zone that just makes things easier.   It sort of just happened for me.  Of course, I did't lose that much weight.  Just around 50 pounds so far.  I have about 30 more to go.   

• Love 3
4 hours ago, CatherineM said:

Lost 300 lbs. married a great guy, gained a bit back, but headed in the right direction again. Most important thing is I walk now. I did it with diet, exercise in the water, and Overeaters Anonymous. I also go to therapy every week to learn healthier ways to deal with life than eating. 

Congratulations on your accomplishments and good luck going forward!

I have never even been overweight, but I always cheer on people who address their weight struggles head-on.   Everyone can find themselves in a bad place, it's what they do about it what makes the difference in my eyes.   I see too many people in denial, like my uncle (my Mom's sister's husband) who has diabetes and a bit of a drinking problem and since his retirement in 2012 he ballooned to about double his previous weight.   He now struggles to walk (neuropathy + dizziness from diabetes that is poorly controlled because he won't watch his diet + all the extra weight).  One time he fell in front of their house while walking the dog, and my aunt had to round up several male neighbors to help her get him back on his feet.  We all fear what would happen if he becomes bedridden - except for him.  I think he has been depressed since he retired and he literally has no hobbies or interests, he just sits on the couch and watches TV with a beer and a bowl of snacks.   His job defined who he was for him, and now he has been just adrift and honestly doesn't even sound like he *wants* to live.   

• Love 1

OA is a tool, not a total solution anymore than weight watchers or Jenny Craig are. It helps with the spiritual damage I’ve done to myself and others. It provides a fellowship. It’s free. Therapy helps with the psychological aspects. We get 90 minutes a week for $25 through Catholic Social Services. I get the first hour by myself and then my husband and I work on couple issues for the last 30. 

I found a diet I can live with in the 1200-1500 range that we’ve committed to do for the rest of our lives because that’s what my body will require. I found an exercise I can do that meets my requirements. I run in chest deep water, 3-5 kms, three times a week. That takes 2-3 1/2 hours so depends on how much time I have. It provides low impact aerobic exercise that I get pretty warm doing. I have to dunk my head every 1/3 km. or so. The resistance is good for leg swelling. I actually get a runner’s high at times. 

I don’t expect the exercise to help with weight loss though. You can’t out exercise a bad diet. It helps with my fitness and mobility and mood. I also have a hand crank bike I use at home when I can’t go to the pool. My injuries can make other exercises undoable for me. I still use a walker. I freak out new lifeguards who aren’t used to me. I wobble in using a walker, and then run for several hours. They expect to have to use the defibrillator. The old hands ignore me as some kind of nut. 

• Love 13

With all of our recent posts about those poundticipants who have recently died and also about which one(s) are likely to be next, I was wondering if there should be a limit on how many times a former show subject should have a follow-up episode. IMHO, it should be two strikes and you're out. For instance, I see absolutely no reason to do a follow-up episode on James K once again being accepted as a patient of Dr. Now. He, among many others, has demonstrated that he, and Lisa, have no interest whatsoever in getting with the program or even saving his life.

It seems to me that, as compassionate as Dr. Now is, it really is somewhat unethical to continue to squander resources on people like him, Schenee, or so many others whose names do not readily come to mind. Dr. Now seems like he may be winding down and may retire soon. Any time he has left doing these surgeries and consultations should only be used for those who actually give a damn and who have been on waiting lists for his services for many weeks or months.

Of course TLC probably (most likely?) could care less about ethics and way more about ratings, so we will probably see follow-up number 5, 7 or, 11 on Steven Assante or Sean or even James K.

That's my opinion, but I'd be interested in knowing what the rest of my Pounder Pals think.

• Love 2

I didn't watch any follow-up on the Assantes, if there was one, and never watched the first one again.
On the other hand, James K's follow-up is scheduled for a repeat, and is on my DVR schedule.  (If you're interested, not sure if it's on TLC, or a Discovery channel.)
I'd like a follow-up on Tracey, and in March, she said on Facebook that she hadn't had any more surgeries, and was for a call back to Texas.
If she hasn't regained weight, it doesn't seem right that she'd be left looking pretty strange, with only the  top of one leg fixed.  (She was the one whose weight was in her legs, and didn't need gastric surgery after her weight loss, only skin/lymphedema removal.)

• Love 1

I prefer to see follow-ups on those who had initial success, whether they have slipped back to gaining or not - rather than those who keep whining and never do anything for themselves.  The latter ones are boring in their sameness. 

• Love 5

Please don't bother watching the Assantes' follow-up auntjess; total waste of time IMHO--yes unfortunately I watched it--and may leave you pissed off and nauseous after viewing. That whole family was a real piece of work. I had to look up Tracey. I remember their faces but not the names of most of them. I agree with you that she would definitely be one of those that I'd like a follow-up on and likewise hope she gets the surgeries she needs.

ITA Hellga. Anyone, myself included, can have setbacks and even go off the rails for awhile when trying lose weight and, most importantly, keep it off. You're right about how boring those who have all the excuses in the world and make no real efforts to change are but I find them infuriating as well.

One clarification: the two strikes I mentioned above for those who don't even pretend to give a damn includes their original episode and just one follow-up, not two.

• Love 5
On 9/25/2018 at 11:27 PM, Miss Chevious said:

Chiming in late to the party, Only found this place a few days ago:

I can tell you from my own experience it's not unreasonable to shed that much, As others have said the heavier you are, the faster you can lose it.

In my case, I went on a medically supervised fasting program, which at ~800 cal a day of shakes and multivites shed the pounds pretty quickly.--Actually you'll probably shed a good 10-20 the first week simply in "water weight" aka not drinking soda and getting in plenty of fluids.

*Note what I did isn't ideal, but as a then-16 y/o kid who weighed 403 the first day I started, Something needed to be done. I actually couldn't handle just shakes alone on my plan, so they added in small prepackaged entree meals and i stuck with it and ended up just a smidge over 200 when it was all said and done. And that's with juggling school and my first job which was in fast food!

• Love 8

I'm watching Britain's Fattest Man, a repeat from a couple of years ago, that I recorded from one of the Discovery channels.
He was put in the hospital after losing an initial 100+pounds, and he has all the things that James K.  would love.
They installed one of those lifts that swings,  and this was to get him on his feet, which he barely did, before surgery.
Haven't finished it yet.
They had home health aides come to his home every week.

On 10/13/2018 at 5:21 PM, auntjess said:

I didn't watch any follow-up on the Assantes, if there was one, and never watched the first one again.
On the other hand, James K's follow-up is scheduled for a repeat, and is on my DVR schedule.  (If you're interested, not sure if it's on TLC, or a Discovery channel.)
I'd like a follow-up on Tracey, and in March, she said on Facebook that she hadn't had any more surgeries, and was for a call back to Texas.
If she hasn't regained weight, it doesn't seem right that she'd be left looking pretty strange, with only the  top of one leg fixed.  (She was the one whose weight was in her legs, and didn't need gastric surgery after her weight loss, only skin/lymphedema removal.)

The Assantes were the first 600lb episode I watched. I was so repulsed by Steven and just generally appalled by their whole story that I had trouble sleeping that night. Although I have rewatched many other episodes, the Assantes is one I just can't inflict myself upon one more time.

• Love 1

I think the Assante double episode (that means 4 hours of TV) is on tonight on TLC.      The only entertaining part to me is the golf cart episode, but that's not worth it for me to watch all of that nastiness, and the father being such an enabler. 

I still wish Princess the personal care assistant had taken Cupcake the cat with her when she took the TV back.   

I do love the obviously phony 'fall' off the golf cart, which is nothing more than him putting his foot down on the grass, and sliding off the seat.     And Dr. Now bringing the hammer down is classic.  

Assante's staged fall out of the golf cart is actually on Youtube.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I've made my share of posts about how the patients on the show and their families are so obsessed with fast food.  They seem to believe that that drive thru stuff or home delivery pizza is the meal of kings, but, I have discovered that a lot of people are that way.  Even people who are not obese. Average sized people also seem to abuse their bodies with that food. 

I'm not sure why I've started noticing so much, but, it's quite common for these people to casually exclaim with excitement, how they are going to the Burger Barn, Char-grill, etc. for their lunch.  These are intelligent, employed, educated, adults, who you would think, know better or would have higher standards for their diet.  Each time, I hear it, I know there must be a look of concern on my face. My eyes get a little larger as I try to hide my surprise.   If I'm expected to join them, I have to figure out what I'm going to get there. 

My first thought for lunch is my nutrition.  Why would I put that fast food garbage into my body for no reason?  I get how you might splurge on vacation at a crab shack or burger joint, but, for a regular everyday lunch?  I'd rather have a piece of fruit than all that fried, chemical ridden stuff. 

Why wouldn't you be placing more of a priority on health?  I just don't get it.  It's sort of like a child or college student's mentality, imo.  OR, in my quest to become more healthy and slim, have I become a dietary SNOB?  lol 

• Love 3

I know of a family, both parents work full time, and the father was military, so was elsewhere fairly often, and they ate at fast food places three times a day.    Even when the kids were in school they either took a lunch, and usually fast food, or at high school I think they could get that type of food by going off campus, or buying similar food in the cafeteria.     

A bunch of in-laws (OK outlaws is more like it) never cooked at home, unless it was frozen to reheat, or fast food .   The gf, now wife, actually asked me for my recipe to do frozen french fries, and have them come out crispy.      It turned out that she didn't know what preheat was, and so she put things right in the oven, turned it to the temperature on the package, and when the timer went off, the food was barely defrosted.  

There are more and more people who never cooked for themselves, and don't have the faintest idea how to start.     

• Love 5

I think you're right.  I'm not that big on going out, unless it's to a place that I can get something like grilled fish, seafood or chicken.  Steak is okay occasionally.  I had someone treat me to steak recently and it was delicious, but, I got a lunch size portion with green beans and small garden salad, skipped the bread, potatoes and fried mushroom appetizer.  lol 

I just find it hard to fathom how someone who is very obese and has lots of health problems directly related to their obesity, just pops up and gets dinner for the family consisting of fried chicken bucket, french fries and fried hush puppies.  I found it very sad and confusing.  And, they feed it to their kid too!  That's what I can't stand.  The kid is also very overweight.  It's like you are living a horrible life suffering from obesity and you INSIST that your kid join you.  Man, it really angers me. 

• Love 3

I'm getting so worried about the poundticipants that every time someone's thread pops to the top for a new postings, I'm wondering if it's bad news.     After I watch an episode, I get to know the poundticipants as people, and their relatives and situations, and even the not nice ones are still people.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
On 11/2/2018 at 9:54 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The gf, now wife, actually asked me for my recipe to do frozen french fries, and have them come out crispy.      It turned out that she didn't know what preheat was, and so she put things right in the oven, turned it to the temperature on the package, and when the timer went off, the food was barely defrosted.  

Mother of Mercy. 

• Love 4

Even worse than the frozen french fries was one time her family decided to do a real Thanksgiving dinner, and the gf was assigned pecan pies.    She used the Karo syrup recipe, bagged pecans, and store bought crusts, so it should have been fine, right?    Nope, she bought graham cracker crusts, poured the pecan and syrup mixture into the crusts, baked it, and of course the syrup absorbed into the crust, and hardened up.      She gave us a pie, and when my Dad saw the crust when he tried to cut it he had to laugh.    Dad was a big guy, but barely could get a knife through the crust.       The crust was so hard that we were afraid to even try to eat it, because we liked having our teeth in our head.     Dad gave some crust to our Labrador, and he chewed on it like it was a piece of wood, carried it around for a little while, and then gave up on it.    His teeth hadn't even made a dent in it.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 12
On 9/27/2018 at 10:25 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I had a weird experience this week that turned out okay.  I went to see a new doctor earlier this week  and was dreading weighing, because, I knew that I had not been as focused lately on conserving my treats. I must have looked at the scales wrong, because, I thought that I had gained 14 pounds!!!  I was so deflated when I left. I couldn't understand it. (I've lost about 50 pounds over the last 2 years.)  My clothes still fit.  So, yesterday, 2 days later, I went for my Pre-op visit (I'm having some outpatient surgery next month.)  and I've only gained 2 pounds! And, I had on my shoes and all clothes, so, I count that as one pound gain.  I was elated.  lol 

My favorite treat, besides Lemon pie is my mom's special Humming Bird cake.  OMG......there are no words.  I have to save that for Christmas time only. 

I'm going to need the recipe for that Humming Bird Cake. It's almost Christmas.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, smacaluso2003 said:

I'm going to need the recipe for that Humming Bird Cake. It's almost Christmas.

I'll get it from my mom next week and have it on hand. It's hard to explain how good it is.  Of course, my mom is an excellent cook, but, I'm hoping that I can make it too.   I have two special people that I want to give a big thank you to this year and so, I'm going to give them each one of these cakes. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
On 10/24/2018 at 3:30 AM, Kenzie said:

The Assantes were the first 600lb episode I watched. I was so repulsed by Steven and just generally appalled by their whole story that I had trouble sleeping that night. Although I have rewatched many other episodes, the Assantes is one I just can't inflict myself upon one more time.

I saw a clip on youtube where Steven took an ambulance to the hospital with the intention of getting drugs.  Dr. Now intercepted him and told the ambulance to take him home.  Protocol was to bring the patient in, so in he came.  Dr. Now gave him a verbal beat down then said "Go home."  Steven was was like, okay, "Where is the ambulance?" Dr Now told him to figure out his own ride home, an ambulance is not an UBER.  Then Steven got REALLY PISSED and said to call the local news station.  Dr Now (and I love him for this) said "Okay, which station should I call?"  Boy, the snappiness and mean attitude came RIGHT OUT so fast!!  I can't stand his loud, honking voice.

• Love 7
On 9/25/2018 at 9:27 PM, Miss Chevious said:

The people on the show lose a lot of weight fast because they change their diets so drastically and have so much weight to lose.

If you have only a moderate amount of weight to lose, the normal expectation that I was taught was 2-3 pounds/week so you seem to be on track.

I eat basically what you do as I lost 100 lbs 15 years ago and have kept the weight off.  I watch the show religiously as it reminds me of what could have happened to me had I let my compulsive eating continue without end!! 

The only thing I add to what you eat are healthy fats (avocado, EVOO and nuts/seeds) as without that I would keep losing weight and my greatest accomplishment has been maintaining a healthy weight for a long period of time.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

The people on the show lose a lot of weight fast because they change their diets so drastically and have so much weight to lose.

If you have only a moderate amount of weight to lose, the normal expectation that I was taught was 2-3 pounds/week so you seem to be on track.

I eat basically what you do as I lost 100 lbs 15 years ago and have kept the weight off.  I watch the show religiously as it reminds me of what could have happened to me had I let my compulsive eating continue without end!! 

The only thing I add to what you eat are healthy fats (avocado, EVOO and nuts/seeds) as without that I would keep losing weight and my greatest accomplishment has been maintaining a healthy weight for a long period of time.

This.  I had gastric bypass in January 2006 and the weight came off pretty quickly as 1) I was eating bird seed, lol, plus very few calories.  2) I was exercising, although it was mild, look at it this way:  go strap 150 pounds on your body and go walk around.  You WILL be burning the calories!!!  When you get down to a reasonable weight, which I did, maintaining it is different and after a few years a weight loss of just twenty pounds can be daunting!

• Love 3

Listening to James K at work (something to do on the day before Thanksgiving...). Like many of the obesees, he talks about being unable to get full. I've thought about this for a bit and wondered, are we supposed to feel full after every meal? Is this where these folks have a problem? I think you should be satisfied after eating, but that doesn't equate with being full. I don't know if it is an age thing, or a just getting smarter thing, but over the past couple of years, I noticed that I just need to 'eat something,' not necessarily have a whole plate or bowl of food. Do these people never get that?

Back to our normal programming...

• Love 5

My guess is that some of the patients probably have consulted other programs, but either too heavy, or didn't cooperate enough to get surgery, or were kicked out by the program.     Even in a city as big as Houston, not all hospitals are participating, and I think that's because of liability reasons with the patients, refusal to have filming disrupt their hospital, and also the surgical suite has to accommodate larger people, needs a bigger stronger table, beds and other equipment are over-sized, and heavy duty to support the patients.     I can't imagine how much investment the hospitals have to put in for the surgical areas, rooms and beds, and even emergency room intake areas for the huge patients.      I think on the Robert thread something was said about him already consulting the area bariatric programs, and for whatever reason wasn't accepted.  

On 11/21/2018 at 1:40 PM, aliya said:

Listening to James K at work (something to do on the day before Thanksgiving...). Like many of the obesees, he talks about being unable to get full. I've thought about this for a bit and wondered, are we supposed to feel full after every meal? Is this where these folks have a problem? I think you should be satisfied after eating, but that doesn't equate with being full. I don't know if it is an age thing, or a just getting smarter thing, but over the past couple of years, I noticed that I just need to 'eat something,' not necessarily have a whole plate or bowl of food. Do these people never get that?

Back to our normal programming...

I actually do get this.  I am never satisfied with any amount of food until I am literally a few bites away from feeling sick.  On the other hand if I am away from food cues and busy I can easily skip eating for days on end and not even think about it.  For me it takes calorie counting apps to eat the correct amount of food because this “eat to satisfaction” will never work for me. And I’m old so if I don’t understand it by now I never will!!  The stomach - brain signals that normal people get just aren’t there for me.

• Love 3
On 11/22/2018 at 8:43 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

... also the surgical suite has to accommodate larger people, needs a bigger stronger table, beds and other equipment are over-sized, and heavy duty to support the patients.     I can't imagine how much investment the hospitals have to put in for the surgical areas, rooms and beds, and even emergency room intake areas for the huge patients.     

On the BBC show about Paul Mason, they had concerns about finding an ambulance that could take him to the hospital and then structural issues in the hospital itself. Imagine not being able to get surgery (bariatric or otherwise) because you are too heavy for the floor and beds.

Having patients 600 + lbs. is an issue for employees also.   I'm sure the risk of injury to the health care workers is severe with patients this big.       Look at how many people it takes to move them from the ambulance gurney to the bed.     I think some have needed eight and ten people, and special transfer tarps to move them.    And the high tech beds that weigh patients must cost extra because of the lifting mechanism to hold that amount of weight.   I'm sure the extra risk of working with patients this heavy, and with so many severe health issues discourages a lot of doctors from going from a bariatric practice that takes people that 500+  into their program.    

One of the local transport companies actually used a ramp, and a hoist to get the gurney up and down the ambulance ramp.     

I bet the psychological toll is hard on doctors, and other medical staff when working with patients that have little chance of long term success, and who have a hard time accepting responsibility for their own health.     

I still remember the effort it took for the Mobile EMT, and fire department to get Lisa out of her bed, down the ramp they had to reinforce, and into the transport ambulance.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On 11/21/2018 at 1:40 PM, aliya said:

Like many of the obesees, he talks about being unable to get full.

Dr. Now has also said, on some of the pounders, about how very large their stomach has stretched to, so that may be part of of the problem.

My guess is that since all of the poundticipants have been obese since childhood, they learned early to eat everything they wanted, and learned to ignore the full feeling.      Also, it takes a while from when you start eating for your stomach to realize it's being fed, and for the full signals to go out.   With the people on this show they get huge quantities, and then just bolt it down.      I think that's one reason they have so many issues with the liquid or very restrictive diets before surgery, they've never felt hunger, and it's a strange sensation for them.   

And I've never seen one episode where the poundticpant wasn't big from the first childhood pictures they show, in spite of the fact that they all blame huge weight gains on losing a parent, or some other event, they were never a normal weight in their whole lives.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

They are rerunning a James K episode 7-9 Central tonight, and from the description it sounds like the first episode.   Ow Mah Legs!

There are a lot (I almost said tons, oops!) of decent fast food choices, Taziki's has an entire menu of grilled foods, every burger place in town has a bunless option, and I think the participants are just so used to buying the most sugar and fat for their money, that it's the only option they can even imagine as a meal.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
22 hours ago, auntjess said:

I find this hilarious.  Payless opened a fake designer shoe store, Palessi, with designer prices for Payless shoes.
https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/payless-opened-a-fake-luxury-store-palessi-to-see-how-much-people-would-pay-for-20-shoes/

This was so hilarious!! All that swooning over supposedly designer shoes only to be pranked that way. I loved it. Payless was cool to refund the money and let them keep their shoes, but that was really funny to see.

• Love 2