Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: First To Have A Second Chance

Cranberry

Anybody who's read Harry Potter, knows Boarding school can be appealing though the horse thing reminded me of Catcher in the Rye. I thought it was a twist on cliche to have the girls think it was cool. Usually the kids freak out about being shipped off and they automatically hate the potential step-parent.

I liked Avery and Juliette.

Not much else. 

• Love 1

More Juliette time! Even the scenes she had seemed too short. 

Rayna's actions again make no sense to me. Except even the show now seems to think Luke is too good for Rayna. RIP evil Luke!

Wait! Are they saying that Gunnar's BROTHER is the father of Micah? Who would ever have seen that coming?

• Love 7

Not too many surprises...

Teddy is pathetic. Was he really hoping for a relationship with the hooker? Eric Close needs to find another job.

I so don't care about Gunnar, his nephew, the nasty grandparents. How does that fit within a show about the music industry?

Hurrah for Juliette and Avery. Everyone else in this show can go away permanently.

Posters here called the Layla OD storyline. How long until Will is "officially" outed since we have been dancing around it for two seasons. And Jeff - always a man of integrity - makes no effort to call 911 and instead calls his "fixer."

Please tell me that we are done with Luke.

So poor Deacon is seriously ill. Ugh! Can't this guy catch a break?

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 7

Avery and Juliette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  All I can say, is "SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Glenn and Emily should have been the witnesses, but since I'm still squeeing, I'll let that pass.

I've finally figured out what has made Scarlett tolerable for me this year.  As long as she is in a scene with Deacon, I like her.  They have a great relationship.

I hope poor Teddy hasn't waited to too late to recognize how foolish he has been.  He was lonely and stupid, but not evil.  I have the sinking feeling Jeff has photographs.

Who did Jeff call?  I looked down and didn't see.

• Love 7

Oh, Nashville!  You didn't let met down in the slightest.  Every destination was the same: cheesy, obvious, and soapy.  I didn't expect anything less.

So, as a whole bunch of people predicted, Micah isn't Gunnar's son, but was Jason's, after an affair.  Of course!  And, now Micah's dickbag grandparents are here, and are probably going to take him away.  Sucks to be Gunnar.  Wished I cared more, but I just think this was all to push Zoey away, and have him fall back into Scarlett's arms.

Meanwhile, of course, after Layla shows a likable side last week, this is the end for her.  Will demands that Jeff ends it, Jeff does so in perfect smug fashion and gives her pills to calm down.  Layla stumbles on Will having sex with a groupie (because he's totally not gay, everybody!), so she ODs, and drowns in a pool.  Nice going, Will and Jeff.  And, judging from Jeff's phone conversation with Ted, it sounds like he's going to cover up some of the details.  Which, Ted will probably comply too since he's still banging that hooker.  Nice going, Ted.

Sadie's ex shows up, and guess what?  He's a woman-beating asshole!  Totally didn't see that coming.  Not.

Deacon mopes around about the Rayna/Luke marriage, but ends up collapsing, and it turns out he totally might have cancer.  Once again, oh Nashville!

Rayna finally decides that maybe marrying Luke isn't the best idea she's had.  So, she ends it on the day of the wedding.  At least she did it before the actual ceremony.  Still, way to make me actually feel bad for Luke, Rayna.  But, I'm sure the next episode will change that, when Luke shows the rage he kept hidden so well.

And, yet?  None of it matters.  Because Avery and Juliette?  Are married!!  Yay!  I don't care if it was rushed, and those two still have a shit-ton of issues.  I want those crazy kids to make it!  You can do it, guys!  I have faith in you!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 18

Something I just noticed...

In seemingly one fell swoop, the writers have cleared the way for all three endgame couples...

Javery can have their tiny baby together.

Rayna can nurse Deacon back to health.

Gunlett can make beautiful music together, in and out of the studio.

I have to say this looks like a possible smart set of moves by the writers.

Edited by Midru
  • Love 5

Rayna has like multiple personality disorder. She now cares about the girls when they want to add 6 months to the tour but she didn't think twice before signing onto a one year tour. She also cares about the Christmas cameras in the house, but when it was supposed to be family time weekend, she didn't care when she brought in the Rolling Stone journalist. It was Luke spending more time with her kids while she put the Rolling Stone cover first.  The boarding school conversation they had last week, Rayna got mad that she wasn't consulted about it. Yet where was she when Luke was again out spending time with all 4 kids? Where was she? Then she gets mad about their lives changing? Luke's not the problem, she is.

The kids seem better off with Luke. Luke and Deacon are both better off without Rayna.

I liked the Memphis weekend fun between Deacon and Scarlette.

Saw Micah not being Gunnar's a mile away. The kid is still better off with his uncle though than that Grandmother of his. Gunnar's an evil guy from doing something bad when he was a teen, but her daughter just abandoned her kid as an adult. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 8

"Anybody who's read Harry Potter, knows Boarding school can be appealing"

Sure, ifnyou live in a closet under the stairs ;) Maddie and Daphne have both been complaining about not seeing their Mom, now they want to spend even less time with her so they can have a horse? Terribly cliched writing. I bet Rayna can get them a horse if theybreally want one.

Liked that Rayna finally owned up to the fact that she's made a mess of her life, even felt bad for Luke that she waited until the day of the wedding to tell him. But glad it's done. I hope she takes some time for herself and the girls.

Loved Avery and Juliette. So darned cute!

I really hope Layla is gone. Jeff is so icky, not dialing 911 but calling Teddy instead to cover his butt for giving her the pills. Ugh.

Couldn't care less about Micah, will be glad to see him out of Gunnar's life. And while Sadies's story has some interest for me, they could have waited untilthe next episode rather than cluttering up this one with even more storyline.

Glad Deacon didn't drink, and I knew he'd had a hand in that song (though why did they show her texting Teddy?) Love the ducks at the Peabody, the bit of backstory, and Deacon's joy. I hope for his sake that a full work up will show some more favorable results since the outlook for liver cancer is so dismal.

Good, if clutterez episode. February 4th is too long to wait for the next episode!

• Love 3

Rayna's actions again make no sense to me. Except even the show now seems to think Luke is too good for Rayna. RIP evil Luke!

Rayna didn't make sense.  All of these issues had been brought to her attention multiple times but she decides before the wedding is when she decides to get "real" with herself? 

So yeah, in that moment, I did think Luke was too good for her.  At least he was pretty upfront about who he was. 

Teddy is pathetic. Was he really hoping for a relationship with the hooker? Eric Close needs to find another job.

No.  I think he realized he had been seeking comfort in all the wrong places. 

• Love 5

Cancer for Deacon? Dammit. I was hoping for consumption and a lace hankie given that wee cough he had a few episodes ago.

They're really culling characters, aren't they? Tandy, Zoey, Layla. As soon as Micah gets snatched away by the grandparents and Luke outs himself as a psycho, we might start heading back toward a tolerable cast size. (I vote to keep Sadie.)

I just need to take a moment to revel in the joy that is the Peabody ducks.

• Love 13

If it's wrong that I wanted Rayna to die in a fiery crash while she was driving there at the end I don't want to be right. She waits until the day of the wedding to call it off, pretty much admits it's because she's still hung up on Deacon (UGH!) and expects Luke to, I don't know, just accept it? Has she met him before? I don't know if we were supposed to feel sorry for her during what I suppose was to be a symbolic moment when she took off that honking ring, but I giggled when she threw it in with her loose change, breath mints and spare house key. Way to be sentimental there. She couldn't get that thing off fast enough. Why didn't she just give Luke the ring when she dumped him? He probably would have thrown it, or told her to shove it up her ass, but that would have been more believable and dramatic (and fun!) than that cringe worthy melodrama in the car.

Poor Will. Having sex with a woman clearly causes him no small amount of distress. Did her vagina have spikes in it or something? I thought he was going to start crying there for a minute.

Who are these people that they just have bottles of pills at the ready in their pockets? And Jeff is still a weasle. Dammit. I guess Layla decided to forego boiling Jeff's bunny and boil herself instead.

Poor dumb Teddy. Another stupid male on this show. Maybe they'll finally let him be with someone who isn't A. Deacon's Leftovers B. Crazy C. A Prostitute. Nah. Next thing you know they'll be pairing him with a CIA assassin.

Too bad Gunnar's nephew has to be raised by that witch of a grandmother. Eh. Who cares.

Sadie's ex is an abuser. Surprise, surprise. Maybe Rayna can hit him with her truck on her way into a ravine. 

So, Deacon may have cancer? Let me guess... he's going to refuse to go in for testing and treatment until Rayna comes in and declares her love for him, thus giving him the Will to Live. Vomit. How about he tells her to shove her feelings up her ass, if there is room up there with Luke's ring, and decides to live for himself? I know that goes against the show's idea that the world must revolve around Saint Rayna, but let's just give it a try and see how it goes.

I loved how Gunnar just showed up to dump his problems on Scarlett without so much as a "Hey, you busy right now?" What a tool.

I love Juliette and Avery. They're married! Squee!! Now do not fuck them up show. DO. NOT.

Edited by ReadingZombie
  • Love 21

"So, Deacon may have cancer? Let me guess... he's going to refuse to go in for testing and treatment until Rayna comes in and declares her love for him, thus giving him the Will to Live. "

I'm betting that he'll turn Rayna away and that it will be Maddie who moves him to go for treatment.

• Love 3

An awful lot happened in this episode!  Some random thoughts:

I'm still not understanding why Sadie Stone is on the show.  She keeps on being seemingly close to being part of a main storyline (Maybe she's going to sell Rayna's wedding gown picture to the tabloids!  Maybe she's going to sleep with Luke!) but then it doesn't happen.  She's been in a lot of episodes, but we hardly know her at all.  And now she's in some domestic abuse storyline of her own, but I don't really care because I don't know who Sadie is.  And 

Laura Benanti just announced that she's going to be starring in the spring Radio City/Rockettes show in New York City from March 12 through August, and there must be rehearsals for the show in New York before March 12, so I don't think she's going to be available for filming for the Nashville season finale.  That means to me that she's not getting bumped up to a series regular, so giving Sadie her own storyline seems pointless.

I liked it when Teddy was talking about how he was basically paying a prostitute to listen to him talk about his problems because he has no one else to talk to, and he said, "That's just messed up."  Finally, someone on this show realizes that living a wacky life isn't a good idea!

I wasn't that surprised that Maddie wanted to go to boarding school because she wants to go to the same school that Colt goes to (and both Rayna and Luke seem to be in denial about that being an underlying factor), but I thought it was completely out of character for Daphne to be so nonchalant about the idea.

Why in the world would Deacon rent a hotel room that has all the minibar liquor bottles SPREAD OUT ON THE COUNTER?  And what hotel room is set up like that?  And as soon as he saw that when he checked in (and it would have been pretty hard to miss), wouldn't Deacon have called the front desk and told them to take it away (or have told the front desk when he checked in)? He's been living out of hotels for months.  He must know how to deal with minibar liquor by now.

How long was Deacon's alcohol relapse (the one that led to the car accident)?  I didn't have the impression it was for that long (ie, long enough to cause liver damage on its own).  Because he must have had a workup when he was in the hospital after the accident, and if he didn't have alcohol-induced cirrhosis then, could he have it now if he's basically stayed off the liquor in between and it's been 15 years since he was a serious drinker?

Edited by mikem
  • Love 7

I haven't seen Nashville yet because I'm on the west coast but I'm loving that they didn't make Deacon drink. Anything else I can tolerate and live with.  ReadingZombie -- I'm with you on....

"Let me guess.. he's going to refuse to go in for testing and treatment until Rayna comes in and declares her love for him, thus giving him the WILL TO LIVE. Vomit. How about he tells her to shove her feelings up her ass, if there is room up there with Luke's ring, and decides to live for himself.?

I second, third and forth on that remark and would be the happiest fan to see that in an episode. It's still only 9:13 pm California time.

• Love 1

Jeez, thank God I wasn't depressed before I sat down to watch this episode.  Every fucking storyline with the exception of Avery and Juliette's is now heading down the path to bad news-ville.  

I don't even think I've wrapped my head around all the stuff that went wrong in this episode yet.  And I missed the first 15 minutes so who knows how many unicorns they killed and cute kittens they sacrificed during that part of the show.

Let's see ... Layla thinks she's having a relationship with Jeff, Will tells Jeff he better put a pin in that and that wasn't a winky euphemism.  Jeff tells Layla they were a one-time thing and then the dumbass gives her a bottle of pills so she can have a few and calm down.  Really?  Then an upset Layla stumbles into a room where she finds Will taking one for the team to prove he is Mr. Straight Cowboy to some freelance journalist (?) who called out his sexuality after her seduction attempts failed .  Naturally, Layla downs a shitload of the pills with whatever alcohol she was drinking.  Because nobody saw that coming, right?  Later Will finds her floating face down in the pool and we are left in limbo as far as her outcome.  Instead of calling 911 like Will repeatedly yells for Jeff to do, Jeff calls Teddy and talks about calling in a favor.  

Rayna finds out that Luke's been talking to the girls about going to boarding school, and they are down with that because all their significant parental figures have been pretty much MIA lately.  He's even called and found out there's some openings.  Rayna confronts him and requests that in the future she be part of any and all conversations involving her children's education.  

Rayna spends the night before her wedding re-reading a certain Rolling Stone article (and with their luck lately probably highlighting portions she will demand be retracted) and thinking.  She does spend some time with Tandy whose advice is basically 'Love is all you need.'  Wedding day rolls around and Rayna goes to see Luke while he's supervising the set-up for their ceremony.  They both claim they had a sleepless night, but for very different reasons.  Rayna tells Luke she can't go through with the wedding and it is because of Deacon, yet it's not because of Deacon, but mostly the Luke Wheeler lifestyle is not who she is.  But ... she still loves him.  So he orders her off his property and starts throwing wedding chairs.  Was anybody else looking past Rayna while she was sobbing in the car to see if Luke was still going Luke-Smash on the furniture?  I kind of wanted to see him tear through the background like the Tazmanian Devil, sawdust and wood chips flying everywhere.

Sadie's ex turns up at the studio and wants his cut of profit for her music that's about him.  Didn't he say that he wrote the song or helped write it?  Avery saves the day just by showing up and they do some recording.  Later Sadie comes home to find Mr. Ex on her porch.  She tells him to go away and declares she's not the same scared person she used to be.  He promptly slams his fist into her face.  Did he break her jaw?  It turned purple in the time it took her to stumble backwards and slide to the ground.

Then Deacon ... probably my least favorite development in all of tonight's plots.  He and Scarlet go see some ducks wading into a fountain pond at the Peabody hotel, because memories.  That was a nice little scene between the two of them.  He can't seem to get away from Ruke's (blergh) impending nuptials, though --between dropped newspapers and TVs in karaoke bars.  He leaves Scarlet at the bar and goes back to the hotel because he doesn't feel good.  Of course, it would seem he's just bailing because of the aforementioned TV coverage.  Back in the hotel room he's once again reminded of the 'I do's' that he wishes were 'I don'ts' by a magazine on the coffee table.  He flings the happy couple into the mini-bar and then takes a look long enough to give me ample time to get the anvil off my toe at the still intact bottles.  Scarlet later comes in and finds him flat on the floor and calls for an ambulance.  At the hospital a doctor comes in and informs me and Deacon that the anvil on my foot was just a red herring because his tox screen was clean.  However ... there's other fish to fry.  His blood tests are pointing to the possibility of some major liver issues, possibly even cancer on the horizon.

And Gunnar, poor, sweet, gullible Gunnar.  Kudos to all of you here who called that his brother was the real baby daddy.  The truth is uncovered when he and Micah take a DNA test to determine paternity because Gunnar's trying to get custody.  Plus, before he even found out that 'Kylie Jean' lied to him and kid was not his son he managed to make an enemy of Micah's grandparents.  Who does he turn to for comfort?  Scarlet.  I'm sure sowing the seeds for a reconciliation there.

Wow, was that everything?  Oh, yeah, Teddy.  He had another 'date' with the high class call girl but when she wanted to pencil him in bi-weekly on her schedule he decided that would be a mistake and bid her sayōnara.  Until the next time he's feeling bad and has no one to talk to, that is.

The one good happy part of the episode was Avery went to see Juliette and told her he couldn't handle them just being friends anymore.  But instead of walking out of her life, he asked her to marry him.  They probably could've gotten a discount and used Luke's place since him and Rayna were not going to be using it, but seems like they had a small Justice of the Peace type ceremony.

The show's not coming back til February 4th and they sure as hell left us with enough quasi-cliffhangers.  I must say, I enjoyed the episode although it's a wonder they just didn't have the whole cast line up on the sidewalk and then mow them down with a number 7 bus.

I'm glad Luke and Rayna are done because I do ship Deacon and Rayna even though it's obvious they've got major issues.  I felt a little sorry for Luke when Rayna told him mere hours before the wedding she was backing out.  Then he said something like she should've waited till after the wedding to tell him, then they could just have it annulled and that would have been better. I took that as him being worried about all the bad publicity coming their way.  So that made me stop feeling sorry for him.

Edited by gameoff
  • Love 11

Downer ep with one bright spot of a quick Juliette and Avery wedding. Yay that they got married but I don't think I saw Emily and Glenn there. Sad that Deacon is sick, but wouldn't his room not have a mini-bar? His and Scarlett's lets go do things together in Memphis was fun. Everything else was so predictable, Micah is Gunner's nephew, Rayna can't go through the wedding, Layla ODs into the pool, and Sadie's ex is a woman beater.

First thoughts - Rayna is a creep and Scarlett is looking more and more freakish.

You bring a man to his wedding day, leading him on. Not only that, but in front of the whole world. Rayna is a creep and A #1 a-hole. She just destroys men. No wonder Deacon was drunk all the time. Look at what she did to Teddy.

When they did the karoake on stage, Scarlett looked very weird. Her physical appearance is just awful.

Juliette deserves happiness. She loves with her entire heart. She is not like Rayna, who at every turn is just plain calculating. Rayna really loves no one but herself.

• Love 9

I second, third and forth on that remark and would be the happiest fan to see that in an episode. It's still only 9:13 pm California time.

Wow.  We're all going to bed in the REAL Nashville.  (just trying to get your goat.  did i get it?)

I could not possibly give less of a shit about Micah or Sadie if I tried.  I still don't see the point of Sadie and Micah is just a walking, talking, plot device.  Now that he has successfully removed Zoe from Gunnar's life he can convienently disappear.  Nice to know that I was right about Gunnar not doing a single damn thing to get legal custody of the kid until his grandparents showed up, though.

Rayna is just an all around horrible person these days, isn't she?  I'm 99.9% sure they're going to have her running back to Deacon in the next episode and of course he'll take her right back because it's true love or some shit. 

Loved everything Juliette and Avery but the first scene about how babies come out tiny was beyond adorable.  I almost want to stop watching now so I don't have to watch the writers screw them up beyond repair.

• Love 7

Mr. & Mrs. Barkley = PLEASED

How many times did Teddy's hooker mention their arrangement and how he wasn't going to get anymore freebies? Girlfriend said she works too hard for the money! But if he signs up for the package deal, I bet she'll throw in a blowjob every now and then. Being that he's the mayor and all.

I loved how Tandy told Rayna to think of the love and Rayna just sat there looking more and more miserable as she thought about it. 

I would have paid good money to watch Luke turn that entire yard into teeny tiny chairpicks. Oh, how I laughed.

Also was concerned for Deacon when Scarlett tried to wake him up. I thought, "If he is breathing, she's going to suffocate him with that damn hair." 

Jeff calling Teddy instead of 911 <insert bugeyed smiley HERE> Damn, dude. Could you at least attempt to pretend to care? I hate Layla and I have always hated her and will probably continue to do so forever, but even my cold-hearted self would have called 911. And she was a horrible drunk too. I mean her acting skills. Horrible. I hope she's really dead. 

Nephew's grandparents would have gotten kicked right out of my house long before Gunnar actually put them out. Hell naw. And this is why Zoe left. Who would want to deal with that mess? Crazy thing is, he probably would have gone to Scarlett even if Zoe had still been there. Say goodbye to that kid, Gunnar, and start writing songs again. Lord know nobody gives a rat's ass about him, including his mother. Who is shit, btw. Can't be said enough. Kylie is shit.

I also cackled at the thought of the makeup artists hurrying to Sadie's porch after her ex punched her. She swole up like she had been attacked by a swarm of bees. 

I enjoyed this episode very much. Can you tell?

Edited by Soup333
  • Love 6

I'm sure the last thing Deacon would want, is Maddie putting herself at risk, as a donor.

In the real world, while it may vary from State to State, and I'm certainly not an attorney, there are very tough policies in place re: minors as donors. I believe that minors can Only be donors for blood relatives, and I would imagine that permission of both Parents, if applicable, would be required.

I wonder how long Deacon will keep this secret? It's a hell of a lot to process, but hopefully it won't be endlessly drug out!

Did Luke Wheeler cry when Rayna told him she couldn't marry him. I can't believe they wrote in the script you have to cry when she tells you the wedding is off. Really, did someone really suggest the crying because that made me want to barf. Sorry, I know I'm cold hearted but I didn't feel sorry for him not one bit. Luke Wheeler you didn't win the prize you have wanted to win from Deacon for years. Someone posting they wanted to wait around to see Luke make all those chairs into toothpicks me too.

Didn't think I was going to like the episode but I did maybe now we can get back to what Nashville was suppose to be about and that's country music artist making it big, writing great songs and with a little personal life drama thrown in.

• Love 4

I don't think they could have crammed any more melodrama into that episode.

Too much precious air time was taken up by Sadie and Micah.  Get rid of them, and there would have been more time for the good stuff -- mainly Juliette and Avery.  Finally, a happy episode for Juliette.   Please, writer people, don't screw them up again.

Ugh.  Rayna.   So tired of her and her angsty drama and her crappy relationship choices.   The show is littered with men she has damaged in one way or another.

Will and Jeff are both big creepy lumps of phoniness.

Loved the girls singing together, as always.  Scarlett and Deacon doing karaoke weren't bad, either.

• Love 4

Big surprise, Rayna calls off the wedding. Big surprise, Layla ODs. Big surprise, Gunnar isn't Micha's father. Big surprise, Jeff is a dick. Big surprise, Teddy has put himself in a position to be blackmailed. Big surprise, Deacon is unconscious. Oh, and Will is still gay.

• Love 6

So much drama in this episode but also so many good musical pairings! If we can get Scarlett and Deacon, Sadie and Avery, and Maddie and Daphne singing duets every week, I will overlook the ridiculously predictable soapy drama. And now that all's well with SAG, can we add some Scarlett/Gunnar duets into the weekly rotation too?

Everything that happened in this episode was telegraphed weeks/months ago. Rayna and Luke broke up, Micah is Jason's kid, Lila ODed, Sadie has an abusive ex, Teddy kept going back to the escort.

Even though Jeff is a big fat jerk and I know that his primacy concern with Will is not losing such a huge money maker, I feel like a teeny tiny part of Jeff doesn't want Will outed because he knows it would be terrible for Will on a personal level. Look, I said TEENY TINY. I know it is definitely not his main motivation but I think there is at least .0000000000000001% of Jeff that is human and doesn't want to see Will go through being publicly outed because it will be a really painful thing. The other 99% is of course Jeff being Jeff and worrying about the bottom line.

Yay, we got rid of Zoe and now we are hopefully getting rid of Micah! I would be fine losing Lila as a character but she has such a beautiful voice that I kind of hope she sticks around and gets to sing more often.

I am glad that Teddy finally realized how sad it was for him to turn to an escort because he has no one else to talk to. Make some new friends, dude! A girl I knew in college worked for a phone sex line and she said that she had clients who had regularly scheduled calls with her and they just wanted someone to talk to because they were lonely. She said those were the guys who didn't care about sexy talk. They just wanted someone to listen to them. Teddy might still have a friend if he hadn't screwed Coleman over a million years ago.

• Love 1

So much drama in this episode but also so many good musical pairings! If we can get Scarlett and Deacon, Sadie and Avery, and Maddie and Daphne singing duets every week, I will overlook the ridiculously predictable soapy drama. And now that all's well with SAG, can we add some Scarlett/Gunnar duets into the weekly rotation too?

Everything that happened in this episode was telegraphed weeks/months ago. Rayna and Luke broke up, Micah is Jason's kid, Lila ODed, Sadie has an abusive ex, Teddy kept going back to the escort.

Even though Jeff is a big fat jerk and I know that his primacy concern with Will is not losing such a huge money maker, I feel like a teeny tiny part of Jeff doesn't want Will outed because he knows it would be terrible for Will on a personal level. Look, I said TEENY TINY. I know it is definitely not his main motivation but I think there is at least .0000000000000001% of Jeff that is human and doesn't want to see Will go through being publicly outed because it will be a really painful thing. The other 99% is of course Jeff being Jeff and worrying about the bottom line.

Yay, we got rid of Zoe and now we are hopefully getting rid of Micah! I would be fine losing Lila as a character but she has such a beautiful voice that I kind of hope she sticks around and gets to sing more often.

I am glad that Teddy finally realized how sad it was for him to turn to an escort because he has no one else to talk to. Make some new friends, dude! A girl I knew in college worked for a phone sex line and she said that she had clients who had regularly scheduled calls with her and they just wanted someone to talk to because they were lonely. She said those were the guys who didn't care about sexy talk. They just wanted someone to listen to them. Teddy might still have a friend if he hadn't screwed Coleman over a million years ago.

I don't think being telegraphed weeks ago is bad writing-better than something that comes out of the blue imo

• Love 1

When did Kylie get Hispanic parents? I don't remember her looking remotely like she was Hispanic. Totally saw Michah not being Gunnar's and he probably should thank his lucky stars to be out of the daddy business.

How stupid is Will, amazed he could get it up. Poor Layla, she didn't deserve the treatment she got doubt she actually dies though. But maybe she can get the strength to get out of the farce of her life,

Luke and Reyna, well at least she figured it all out before the fact. I kind of felt bad for Luke, he does love her but I can see him being a total control freak and making her life hell. I was thinking that it was probably a good thing she didn't give him the ring back then as it would have ended up in the field.

Deacon is dying maybe, well that's an interesting twist.

Glad Avery realized that he could make it work with Juliette, they deserve a happy ending.

Worried Sadie is gonna end up dead.

• Love 2

Well, I think the writers of this show are incompetent, and the way they did it was half-assed.

But in the bigger picture, going forward, they have cleared the way for Avery/Juliette, Gunnar/Scarlett, and Rayna/Deacon to all be together. It's a chance for them to hit the reset button on the entire show. And as someone who is still a fan, I am hoping they make the most of this chance they've given themselves. 

• Love 2

So, given that Rayna said "People"s exclusive coverage of the wedding was "almost paying" for the thing, how much will they renegotiate for the exclusive on the break-up? There had to be some kind of photog who got pictures. And I guess the break-up cancels the year long tour for one of them (guess who)? LOL - given the nature of some contracts, I can almost see a year long "break-up tour".  So Luke and/or Rayna be a lot poorer and still have huge non-wedding bills to pay? May not look so good for the girls to get their own horse instead of boarding school.  And what ever happened to the story line where Jeff was eye-balling the girls to contract them out from under Rayna?  I was looking forward to that mess.

I wonder why Rayna did not give back the ring.

Because it will become a plot devise for a meeting between Luke and Rayna to angst more over the non-wedding.  I'd just messenger the thing back to him, but we know the writers won't let that happen.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 2

Scarlett supposedly went to Ole Miss. No way she didn't know about the Peabody ducks! Also, she talks in a funny, staccato kind of way. Geez, everything about her is annoying.

Love me some Juliette and Avery!

ETA- Rayna is stupid. And selfish. Her popularity will take a hit from this non-wedding debacle.

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 3

I'm glad Rayna broke it off with Luke before the wedding.  There's no way to make her look good over this so just pull the plug and get it over with.  As soapy as it is, I was sure that she'd be rushing away from the wedding (in the wedding dress of course) to go by the much predicted Deacon health crisis so this is slightly less soapy than that.

I liked the car scene where she was driving away - I think CB did a great job at visually showing the sadness/relief double whammy you get once you did something that has to be done.

The goods - Maddie and Daphne singing, Daphne getting a line or two of dialogue, the ducks, Avery & Juliette.  Way to fake me out thinking he was going to say the being "friends" wasn't working out and they just needed to distance themselves altogether.  Deacon did not drink.  Teddy figuring out that he doesn't need pay to playdates.

The bads - all the dropped storylines, especially the ones they dropped anvils on us with.  Sadie being one of the biggest anvils that they've carpet bombed us with.  They bring Tandy back and have her prop up the wedding and then have Rayna do the exact opposite.  Layla may or may not be dead.  I'd prefer if she were and don't consider her existence a cliff hanger*.  The outfit Layla was in.

* if they had left us with Scarlett trying to wake up Deacon and calling 911, but nothing else, that would have been a cliffhanger.  And I would have cared.

I don't think being telegraphed weeks ago is bad writing-better than something that comes out of the blue imo

I think these writers confuse foreshadowing with telegraphing. I'd actually rather things came out of the blue at this point. At least that would keep things interesting. With this show, I can see what's coming miles away, and then it takes them forever to get there.

I'll never forget when out of nowhere and yet perfectly foreshadowed, Rayna ended up at Deacon's front door and told him she loved him. I didn't see that coming at all, so I know they can do it. Ahhhh the good old days.

I will say that the line from Rayna about taking responsibility gives me a tiny bit of hope that she's going to finally own up to her choices. A tiny, tiny bit, though, and I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 5

I wanna smoke what they're smoking in the writers room, from twitter last night:

"Real men cry… and Luke Wheeler is a real man. #TeamDeacon, you can’t deny that. #Nashville"

Yes, possessiveness, jealousy, and manipulation are SOOOOO sexy. NOT.

• Love 8

I'll never forget when out of nowhere and yet perfectly foreshadowed, Rayna ended up at Deacon's front door and told him she loved him.

I remember that too. Completely made my jaw drop, and warmed my little shipper's heart. I knew what was going to happen last night down to everything but Jeff's phone call to the Mayor.

I will say that the line from Rayna about taking responsibility gives me a tiny bit of hope that she's going to finally own up to her choices. A tiny, tiny bit, though, and I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm really hoping that that'll be what the back half of the season will be about - then rebuilding some type of relationship with Deacon. I think Deacon will turn her down in the next episode, due to his illness and the "time to move on" talk. I'm sure he still loves her, but there's only so much hurt one person can take and if he doesn't think he's going to live much longer, why get into it? That'll give her time to rebuild her relationship with the girls, work on Hwy 65, and get her feet back under her after the Ruke fiasco.

• Love 3

I wanna smoke what they're smoking in the writers room, from twitter last night:

"Real men cry… and Luke Wheeler is a real man. #TeamDeacon, you can’t deny that. #Nashville"

Yes, possessiveness, jealousy, and manipulation are SOOOOO sexy. NOT.

It's shocking how many women dig that kind of behavior, though. They seem to see men being possessive as proof of how deeply they love. Personally, I find it appalling.

I'm really hoping that that'll be what the back half of the season will be about - then rebuilding some type of relationship with Deacon. I think Deacon will turn her down in the next episode, due to his illness and the "time to move on" talk.

Toes and fingers crossed!

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

I call bullpuckey. Who were those girls? Boarding school? What a crock, not to mention a cliche.

And to what purpose? What about Teddy? He has his problems but he's a consistent father based in Nashville. He's not going anywhere. There's no need for boarding school.

And despite terrible acting, I felt sorry for Layla. She's over her head and surrounded by douches.

Edited by shipperx
  • Love 4

She really did botch those scenes, didn't she? Made me cringe unfortunately, but she has a lovely voice. I still don't get Jeff. I thought we'd seen a decent side to him last week and that he and Layla had really connected. I guess I'd be in her shoes in a similar situation then.

And seriously, both of them were so cavalier about not seeing their fathers. Teddy's the steady in Nashville and Deacon's off the tour now and planning to be home. But they both want to go away because of horses? Who writes this cr*p?

• Love 3