Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: First To Have A Second Chance

Cranberry

Just not feeling or believing all of Rayna's angst and sudden truths when all of the things that were happening to her were of her own making.

Well, to be fair, for the most part, most of our angst and truths are of our own making.

That being said, what annoys me the most about Rayna is that she can't seem to spend 15 minutes without a man in her life. Deacon, Teddy, Liam, Deacon, Luke. I may be missing someone, or various iterations of Deacon.

I thought evil Jeff actually showed a flash or two of regret when he shut Layla down. But then calling Teddy instead of 911 made me wonder if I'd seen it.

I'm no fan of Luke (the character), but I also thought the actor did a great job with his reactions. But as some have said, the writers seem to go back and forth about how we're supposed to view him (as well as other characters). There's a difference between gradually developing a character into a complex person and throwing out contradictory traits every episode.

Did anyone notice that Scarlett's hair was silky, curled and bouncy for the first part of the episode? I saw it and said "well, I guess she's in a good mood tonight." Kind of like Coach Taylor's hair in FNL.

• Love 3

So the best moments on this episode were:

1. Avery and Juliette's wedding.  We earned that, writers.  This show is truly lacking in genuinely happy moments-- even the happy moments seem to always have some foreboding moment.  I do like the way the character of Avery has evolved from the first season.  Wish they had more screen time but too many other plots to deal with.

2. Deacon looking genuinely happy for a few moments with the ducks and the karaoke bar.  Best damn karaoke ever. You know that the audience would have made them sing more.  It's a shame they paint Deacon as angry or a sad-sack so much of the time-- the actor has such a great smile and demeanor.  I hope they allow Deacon and Rayna to have a few episodes where they are together and happy with the kids.  Until he dies.  Or finds out he has TV-liver disease which is curable.

3. Watching Luke kick the chairs.  Rayna seems to inspire lots of fury in her men.  Many objects get sacrified for Rayna.  For someone who professes to love her various men, she sure does mess with their mojo.

Boring moments:  the whole Gunnar "what he's not my son!?!?!" shocker.  Not.  Cranky grandparents and annoying child whose only purpose was to get rid of Zoe, please go now.  Quickly.

Cringe-worthy moments:

1. The incredibly well-stocked minibar in Deacon's hotel room. If Deacon is in AA, he would have made sure those bottles were never in his room.  Never rely on willpower. (It's the same reason I don't have potato chips and chocolate in my house.)  Also, AA has a saying: you're as sick as your secrets.  And now he wants to keep another secret?  No worries. Scarlett knows and she can't keep quiet for more than 10 minutes. It will be the worst-kept secret in Nashville.  I predict everyone on the planet will know except Rayna.

2. Jeff.  Yeah, that's a good idea. Give pills (not just one but a whole bottle) to a very drunk, vulnerable, and likely nutty, person.  That will go well for sure. Even without a hot tub.

3. Teddy.  The only "loner" mayor in the nation.  Aren't politicians generally extraverted and surrounded by entourages, pretty women galore, and lots of political types hanging around them all the time?   At least this time he realizes he's a loser unlike with the whole pig-blood-Peggy thing.  Good thing Jeff already gave away his bottle of magic killer pills.  (Although points for the phrase, "the girlfriend experience."  Excellent.)

4. Will. "Butch it up?"  Seriously?  Time to cowboy up fella.  How 'bout you start treating the woman you lied to, cheated on, and basically threw under the bus for the sake of your image and career, like she's a human being?  Even if she's an annoying human being. And now probably dead.  But who knows.  At least he was nice enough to fish her out of the water.

They really did cram a lot into that episode.  Fingers crossed for everyone to be a little smarter in the new year.  Please tell me that for once on this type of show an abused woman will actually call the police and get the creepy ex arrested and jailed.  Please.

Edited by MadeleineElster
  • Love 7

With Will I've given up hope they're ever going to do anything interesting with that storyline. It's like without a real-life precedent they don't even know how to approach outing a male country singer and they don't seem to have the cojones to just go for it, hello folks this is a fictional story what's holding you back? Their own lack of imagination. Anyway if Layla dies I doubt Will will end up on the train tracks again, because one tragic death in a marriage is enough.

In the last few weeks 2 country music Stars have come out. Chris Carmack sent a tweet Saying he hopes this gives Will strength. Would link or embed it but 1) on tablet and 2) I'm inept.

• Love 1

I am curious to see the falout from the wedding debacle: it could be some good soapy fun. Here's hoping the show gets back on course. Like others have said, it has never been perfect but it has come damn close at times.     

Rubyred -- It has never been perfect but it has come damn close at times and all the damn close at times were all in Season 1. (IMO)

SInce Hayden's been pregnant, Juliette has seemed mostly Hayden (sweet and breezy), and very little Juliette (not sweet at all and complicated). The proposal seemed kind of cheesy and soapy to me, but it was obvious it would happen at some point.

I thought tackling the issue of cirrhosis of the liver was a little to deep for this show. I'm guessing Deacon will need a liver transplant but not actually have cancer. I would think he would have other symptoms such as jaundice etc, but that would have given it away I guess.

Not surprised about Rayna's girls thinking about boarding school. Luke's kids have been talking it up and kids change their mind every day. How many kids want things like piano lessons, a horse, or karate lessons, only to change their mind the next week. I believe Rayna was right to see this as another example of Luke's influence going in the wrong direction. I also see nothing wrong in her idea that she and the girls committed to her being gone for a year (and she sees her kids quite a bit for being 'gone'), and extending the arrangement another six months. She loves her girls and yet loves her career.

I think it great that woman can be seen as caring for their family and still be ambitious. Men are never asked to give up their ambitions for their family. Maybe Teddy should spend less time with hookers and more time with his girls-he will get in way less trouble that way.

I'm still completely mystified as to why Sadie and her story are on this show. There has to be something more than her being a client and occasional friend to Rayna and now Avery. And we already have Rayna, Juliette, Scarlett and Rayna's daughters to sing. Does Laura Bernardi have some sort of contact ABC has to honor or something?

Used to like WIll but he is becoming as rotten and pathetic as Layla, also can't see where his story could have a happy ending. If they make him choose to leave the music business so he can be 'out', it sends an awful message (true but still awful). I guess I could like it if they made Will and Layla genuinely care about each other and try to help each other out, but that's not going to happen.

Jeff was likable for about two minutes. Sigh.

Edited by Madding crowd

SInce Hayden's been pregnant, Juliette has seemed mostly Hayden (sweet and breezy), and very little Juliette (not sweet at all and complicated). 

Agree! I'm not saying I don't want Avery and Juliette together, because god knows thats all i've wanted all season. But I do miss the real JB! The badass country star who was all attitude one. But yeah, I guess character development or whatever :)

Layla, surprisingly, totally broke my heart! Ive gotten weirdly attached to her ever since her music has gotten really good. She really does deserve better...poor thing. 

• Love 2

I know a lot of people have been frustrated with this show for a long time, but for me this was a new low. I like Juliette and Avery, but sheesh!

With everything else, going on we did not need Sadie drama. We had enough drama. 

I think the worst thing is how everyone could guess what was coming in almost every plotline! Seriously no surprises!

As I said Sadie's drama was unnecessary.

I'm also disappointed with Gunnar's storyline. He is still that kid's next of kin on the father's side. On a sideways note, why is it the every other side character (usually another character's parent or parents) is so damn classist? Remember Juliette married that Christian guy in the first season and his parents looked down on her in part for her mother and where she came from? Or Avery's parents? Or Rayna's father towards Deacon? Or now Gunnar's nephew's grandparents, who on the one hand mentioned his checkered past, but then when he says he changed, use where he came from as proof he can't change? Seriously this show is more class conscious than Downton Abbey. The Crawleys reacted better to Sibyl and Tom!

Rayna you are not 16, you should know the best way to make decisions is to try to get some sleep and see how you feel in the morning. I don't remember exactly, but my memory is that she stayed up thinking  on purpose not tossing and turning all night. 

I liked seeing Deacon and Scarlett have fun together. Seeing him fall apart like that was annoying, but given how sick he is I'm willing to overlook that. Get well soon Deacon!

Now as for Will,Layla, and Jeff out of all the plots the other night this one broke my heart. Will was perfect for Layla as he treated her the same way she treated him all season. He kept changing his mind and expected her to go along with it. Like Layla, Will wasn't sure what he wanted except he wanted the best for himself.  Jeff is one cold bastard, but I think he genuinely liked Layla. I thought it was interesting his first idea to Will was to sleep a groupie or a fan, because I think he wanted Layla for himself. Jeff is so cold, I think it would take a lot for him to get his soul back, which is why he so callously sold Layla back to Will. That being said he probably assumed someone else would call 911, and maybe he realizes or thinks Layla is gone and there's nothing they can do for her. 

I liked Juliette and Avery together, but the ending with the wedding was a little too rushed for me. In general it felt like the writers dumped two months worth of story in ten minutes, which was too much in my opinion. It also felt like all plot and no storytelling. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3

From the recap here:

Maddie and Daphne sing an original song -- apparently written with Teddy's help -- as their wedding gift to Luke and Rayna! Not to spoil, but at least one gift isn't being returned!

When Maddie said that she had help from "my Dad," I assumed she meant DEACON, not Teddy. Do we really think Teddy helped her write a song?

Glenn and Emily should have been the witnesses, but since I'm still squeeing, I'll let that pass.

Glenn wanted to be there, but his wig was at the rug cleaners for a wash and blow-out.

• Love 4

When did Gunnar get that big-ass house? In those kitchen scenes with the grandparents I could not figure out at all where they were. I actually thought they had teleported to TX and were at the grandparents' house.

Not surprised about Rayna's girls thinking about boarding school. Luke's kids have been talking it up and kids change their mind every day. How many kids want things like piano lessons, a horse, or karate lessons, only to change their mind the next week. I believe Rayna was right to see this as another example of Luke's influence going in the wrong direction. I also see nothing wrong in her idea that she and the girls committed to her being gone for a year (and she sees her kids quite a bit for being 'gone'), and extending the arrangement another six months. She loves her girls and yet loves her career.

I realize now I was probably so far off the mark, but my first (very strong) instinct was that Maddie and Daphne were using reverse psychology on their mother--like, "Hey, maybe if we tell her we want to go to boarding school, she'll call off this stupid wedding to this loser and we can stay at home and not go on the tour and get to see our dad and Deacon, etc.etc." Which, hey, it obviously worked, but instead of the girls, I'm guessing it was my own subconscious wishes for the show coloring my perception, LOL.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 4

When Maddie said that she had help from "my Dad," I assumed she meant DEACON, not Teddy. Do we really think Teddy helped her write a song?

It seemed weird, but she calls Teddy "Dad," not Deacon, and she texted Teddy after to tell him it went well, so presumably (weirdly) it was him.

Maybe Maddie texting Teddy, that the song went well, has nothing to do, with who wrote it

They probably told Teddy that they were going to do a song, for their Mom, at the rehearsal;maybe they were nervous about it, and Teddy said to let him know how it went, that they'd be great! So Maddie texted him.

Maddie certainly wasn't going to be cruel, and text Deacon, that they had done a song for Rayna and Luke!

• Love 2

Well that was cheerful. Not.

Except for Avery and Juliette, that was a nice surprise. Hopefully he proposed out of love and not just so the baby would have married parents!

Way to wait for the last freaking second, Rayna! Geez. I didn't even like Luke, but that was really kind of cruel. She couldn't have figured that out a little sooner?

I don't believe for a second those idiot girls were so psyched about boarding school. That was dumb.

No wonder Kiley is such an asshole - just look at her parents. Poor Micah, he's going to be a mess. Sorry, Gunnar. Although I saw that twist coming a mile away...

Oh goody. A cancer plot. Cause Deacon needs even more angst.

And throw in some domestic violence for Sadie, for even more depressing storytelling!

Bye, Layla! Maybe?

• Love 2

I realize now I was probably so far off the mark, but my first (very strong) instinct was that Maddie and Daphne were using reverse psychology on their mother--like, "Hey, maybe if we tell her we want to go to boarding school, she'll call off this stupid wedding to this loser and we can stay at home and not go on the tour and get to see our dad and Deacon, etc.etc." Which, hey, it obviously worked, but instead of the girls, I'm guessing it was my own subconscious wishes for the show coloring my perception, LOL.

when I rewatched it, I saw it as Luke put the boarding school idea in the girls heads because he knew that tour was gonna get extended, and he knew Rayna wouldn't go for it if her girls didn't. So he told Rayna "talk to your girls", when he had already filled their heads with ideas of boarding school, therefore cementing an extension of the tour. Sneaky bastard.
  • Love 7

Bosswoman88 -- Liked the sneaky bastard label you gave him. He was one sneaky bastard in everything he did the only bad thing was Rayna never saw it. When the girls were telling Rayna they would like to go to boarding school, the expression on their faces said it all. Maddie looked at Daphne with the expression, you say it, and Daphne looked at Maddie with that same expression on her face, no you say it. Glad they did say it, I think that's what took Rayna over the edge and finally woke her up from that fog she's been in for months. It's going to be very interesting to see how sneaky and vengeful he going to be to get back at Rayna and for sure Deacon.

Or now Gunnar's nephew's grandparents, who on the one hand mentioned his checkered past, but then when he says he changed, use where he came from as proof he can't change?

Not only that, but criticizing his parenting (after seeing it for a whole day, most of which the kid was at school), when THEY raised the woman who thought nothing of  abandoning her child in order to chase a man?  I don't think they get to judge.

• Love 7

It seemed weird, but she calls Teddy "Dad," not Deacon, and she texted Teddy after to tell him it went well, so presumably (weirdly) it was him.

Daphne was the one who texted Teddy. Maddie has referred to both Teddy & Deacon as Dad. Luke would not have had his over-the-top facial reaction if Maddie had been talking about writing a song with Teddy. He was pissed because Deacon had been brought up at his rehearsal dinner.

• Love 2

Yes, it was definitely another kick in the teeth to Luke.  Nicely handled by the actor.  

I too wonder what is up with Sadie.  I did notice (I think) that when Avery asked her about the song she was singing she came right out and said she wrote it with her ex, or it was written by her ex?  So he’s not necessarily lying about deserving a cut.  Not that it makes a punch in the face okay.

I would hate to see Layla go -- I thought we were going to get Jeff to transition her out of country and grow the storyline that way.   Alas, no.  I will say, though, I'm still laughing at her magic-hat-that-renders-her-unrecognizable.  Juliette could have used that when stalking Avery.

Don't know what the writers are thinking about the Honeymoon tour, but cancelling something of that magnitude will mean millions in breach of contract settlements.  I'm sure they're insured for illness, death, etc. -- but unless their people were really careful, probably not for "can't stand to be in the same room together."   My guess is the tour is still on.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 3

So does Gunnar have no rights at all now?  Given that he's the only family on the father's side of the family, and a full uncle, I would think he would still have some rights, at least enough to get some visitation rights, if nothing else.  If it was against the mother, maybe he'd have problems, but he's going up against grandparents of the abandoning mother, so I don't see how the grandparents' rights are all that much better than Gunnars (at least as long as Micah remains in Tennessee, might be a different case if the grandparents take Micah back to Texas first).

It was nice that Rayna finally added up all the bits and pieces of Luke's possessive/obsessive personality and realized he was not the right guy to marry.  But yeah, the rest of that tour is going to be hell or cost a mint in breach of contract litigation.  And she seriously needs to take a break from all men for a while, though I doubt that will happen because of Deacon's illness.  It just gets awfully tiring seeing women who can't seem to have a life without a man around, though at least Teddy showed us the opposite can be true too.

Good for Avery and Juliette.  Hopefully they can make it work.

• Love 2

So does Gunnar have no rights at all now?

Micah was a plot device to get rid of Zoe and have Guunar end up sobbing in Scarlett's arms, so I don't think the writers put two thoughts into making this a sensible story.  It sounds like the Mom had been pretty distant from her folks for a while so it is doubtful (given her overall sense of being) that she bothered with naming her parents legal guardians of the kid.  They did not address if Gunnar's name was listed on the birth certificate (or maybe they did and he wasn't hence the need to the DNA testing).  Given that Mom and kid seemed to be moving around a lot, there's no reason to think a Texas court could have a say in the custody matter of a kid who is a non-resident (he's enrolled in public school in Nashville and generally they require some form of legal residency).  If anything, Tennessee's Child Welfare would take custody of the kid and hold him in foster care until it all got sorted out.  Of course, that would require the writers to invest those two thoughts and that does not happen.

I thought the Honeymoon Tour was basically over and they were offered the chance to extend it for 6 months?  Was it originally for a year and they were 1/2 way through and then got the offer to extend it out further?

• Love 1

I thought the Honeymoon Tour was basically over and they were offered the chance to extend it for 6 months?  Was it originally for a year and they were 1/2 way through and then got the offer to extend it out further?

No, the Honeymoon Tour wasn't supposed to start until after the wedding and then they'd be on the road together for 6 months when they merged their two tours. That was the tour they wanted to extend for 6 more months, making 18 months total away from home. 

Weird that Luke sends his kids to boarding school for stability - doesn't their mother live in town? Or is she tired of being a functional single Mom?

I think Hwy 65's gonna take a financial hit on Rayna's leaving the tour - can't imagine she'd go through with it and it's not really a Honeymoon if there is no wedding. I figure she'll stay away from Deacon for a while, or Deacon will keep her away, but it won't be long before she finds out what's going on and I don't think she'll stand for being pushed away at that point.

Edited by Clemgo3165

Kiley's parents, give me a break. Their only connection to this child is through their daughter, who is a repeat child abuser (neglect is the most common form of abuse) who is also a dishonorable person. So the parents can't have too much class if that's what they raised. 

The daughters wanting to go to school so they can have a horse? Wtf-ever! Yeah, I don't care about my house or my school or my friends or my three dads, or the fact that I probably have all the horseback riding lessons I want now...

Is that really all we get out of Luke? He's not really evil, after all? 

Turns out the actress who plays Emily is some cheerleader/TV hostess beauty queen. She's really too pretty to be the girl next door type we thought she was. 

From the beginning I didn't think the baby would get born, but now I am not so sure. My biggest Christmas wish for the show, while also being realistic, is more screen time for Juliette. She is the only one who remains compelling no matter what they write for her. 

ETA in no way do I believe Deacon will get cancer, or cirrhosis, or anything life-damaging. He'll just be a pretty patient like Rayna was to start season 2. 

Edited by Midru

ETA in no way do I believe Deacon will get cancer, or cirrhosis, or anthing life-damaging. He'll just be a pretty patient like Rayna was to start season 2.

I would only hope that would be the case because I don't want to see a sick Deacon. It will be interesting to see where they take that medical problem, maybe they will do just what they do with most of the problems, it's no big deal or it will be nothing that serious. If they are so determined to give him something so it will give him a reason to push Rayna away, then it would be nice for them to give him something that's not life threating then we can all take a breath and watch him and Rayna work on a real adult relationship.

The daughters wanting to go to school so they can have a horse? Wtf-ever! Yeah, I don't care about my house or my school or my friends or my three dads, or the fact that I probably have all the horseback riding lessons I want now...

Speaking a life-long horse crazy girl... if I had known that boarding school with horses was even an option in my life, I very well may have tried to push for it. It wouldn't have worked because my family moved every two years due to my Dad's work but that would have been a gigantic temptation for me at a young age. I desperately wanted access to horses as much as humanly possible.

That being said... am I supposed to believe that Reyna's girls don't have access to horses now? That they couldn't get a horse if they asked for one for Christmas or something? I thought that once you reached a particular level of Country Stardom you were obligated to get a ranch/farm/acreage upon which you had horses! (Quarter Horses most likely, too.)

• Love 3

It looks like Avery and Teddy found some brains, and everyone else remained stupid.

Why couldn't Rayna come to her realization earlier?

Was Jeff hoping Layla would die? What a scum bucket. He's not even good-looking the way scum buckets are usually on these shows. Did Kate Hudson get all the looks in the family?

I figure Sadie is going to wind up having an affair with someone on this show, but I can't figure out with who yet.

Edited by bantering

I thought Sadie was going to help Luke cheat on Rayna. Or that she would hook up with single Avery, making Juliette crazy jealous. But now that Rayna dumped Luke and Avery married Juliette, I'm at a loss as to how she fits in to the show.

Scarlett hooks up with Hot Doc and Gunnar with Sadie?

• Love 1

I liked it when Teddy was talking about how he was basically paying a prostitute to listen to him talk about his problems because he has no one else to talk to, and he said, "That's just messed up."  Finally, someone on this show realizes that living a wacky life isn't a good idea!

Thanks for making me laugh!  I would also add that Teddy's storyline has become completely unrealistic.  Are we really to believe that the wealthy, handsome mayor of a major city is a loner who can't do any better than an average looking, middle-aged hooker?

First thoughts - Rayna is a creep and Scarlett is looking more and more freakish.

You bring a man to his wedding day, leading him on. Not only that, but in front of the whole world. Rayna is a creep and A #1 a-hole. She just destroys men. No wonder Deacon was drunk all the time. Look at what she did to Teddy.

If you read the Sons of Anarchy forum here, you would know that Rayna James is similar to Gemma Teller Morrow in the men department.  I'll try to phrase it a little cleaner, though.  Rayna has Magical Lady-Parts of Doom!

I still don't get Jeff. I thought we'd seen a decent side to him last week and that he and Layla had really connected. I guess I'd be in her shoes in a similar situation then.

I know!  I really bought the connection between them last episode.  Then, oops, the writers changed their minds, so let's go in the complete opposite direction.  I know Layla was an evil twit in the beginning, and then when the label lost interest in her she just became desperate and pathetic, but nobody deserves what Will did to her.

when I rewatched it, I saw it as Luke put the boarding school idea in the girls heads because he knew that tour was gonna get extended, and he knew Rayna wouldn't go for it if her girls didn't. So he told Rayna "talk to your girls", when he had already filled their heads with ideas of boarding school, therefore cementing an extension of the tour. Sneaky bastard.

I took it more to be that he wanted her girls out of the way.  Especially Maddie, because of Deacon.

Don't know what the writers are thinking about the Honeymoon tour, but cancelling something of that magnitude will mean millions in breach of contract settlements.  I'm sure they're insured for illness, death, etc. -- but unless their people were really careful, probably not for "can't stand to be in the same room together."   My guess is the tour is still on.

In real actual life, yes.  On this show, I don't know?   I can't keep count of how many tours have stopped, started, been completely re-configured and/or never began at all since Season 1?  It has always seemed an implausible portrayal that major tours can begin or end on a moment's notice without any legal or financial consequences. 

Edited by JLG
  • Love 2

.....cancelling something of that magnitude will mean millions in breach of contract settlements.  I'm sure they're insured for illness, death, etc.

Not to mention refunding all the thousands and thousands and thousands of tickets already purchased.

Something I just noticed...

In seemingly one fell swoop, the writers have cleared the way for all three endgame couples...

Javery can have their tiny baby together.

Rayna can nurse Deacon back to health.

Gunlett can make beautiful music together, in and out of the studio.

I have to say this looks like a possible smart set of moves by the writers.

It might be if they hadn't effed things up in the first place. There wouldn't be so many fires to put out and messes to clean up if they hadn't written all these issues into the show for no reason. They gleefully tormented Juliette (though Hayden acted her way through it masterfully and gave us some great scenes). Rayna and Deacon has gone back and forth because they didn't realize they'd written Deacon as so charming and stable and Rayna as so self-righteous and irritating and then went overboard with him relapsing to compensate. I'm going to say that generously, 15% of Gunlett storylines since the first few episodes make sense. It all went downhill after the inexplicable jealousy. Emo Gunnar was just the tip of the iceberg. 

I will miss Layla because her songs and voice were wonderful.

I will too but I guess she has to go be Jem.

Cancer for Deacon? Dammit. I was hoping for consumption and a lace hankie given that wee cough he had a few episodes ago.

When we knew he hadn't relapsed and the doctor said blood test for some reason I thought Pam might have given him some kind of magical syphilis. You never know with soaps.

I wish they'd let Laura Benanti (Sadie) cut loose. I know she's not a belter but she's holding back when she sings on the show. That shiner got pink crazy fast. It was almost as bad as Terry's instant relapse into alcoholism last episode. Way to show how little you care about the side characters, Nashville. At least it didn't start bruising. I feel like they could have sent the same message about him being abusive and Sadie still being scared of him by having him feint and either punch the wall or the air. And that way she couldn't level a charge of assault against him. What is his game plan??? Idiot.

Poor Will. Having sex with a woman clearly causes him no small amount of distress. Did her vagina have spikes in it or something? I thought he was going to start crying there for a minute.

It's stuff like this that you bring up when people talk about the feminist intentions of the creators. Mmm, pretty sure she coerced him into sex with her either to get a story or because she was so desperate to be with him. Neither one is particularly flattering.

Scarlett is only tolerable when she's with Deacon but does this mean that her storyline managing Terry is over. If so, that leaves us with no black people at all. I assumed that Terry was supposed to replace Zoe the way that Zoe replaced Coleman.

I'm not counting out Zoe reappearing just like Scarlett didn't actually leave after she swore she was getting out of Nashville. Let's see how obvious they are about it.