Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

I actually browse the boards in regular mode, even on mobile devices. It makes it a bit easier to navigate, like, quote and such. But I'm also on a Nexus and not a phone so that may be why it's not so strange to not use mobile mode.

• Love 1

So that's what the check in the upper right corner is for. Thank you!!

I would have to go to full version mode to like a post before. I got lazy and stopped for a while. I'm back in business again. :)

Bless Colin's heart. The actors try so hard, but sometimes you simply can't get blood from a turnip.

Aaaaahhhhhhh Souris, thank you!!! You made my day, my week and my month!!!

Because this is something a say a lot, but I didn't know it existed in English! It certainly doesn't exist in French, every time I say it in French, people look at me perplexed!

Aaaaahhhhhhh Souris, thank you!!! You made my day, my week and my month!!!

Because this is something a say a lot, but I didn't know it existed in English! It certainly doesn't exist in French, every time I say it in French, people look at me perplexed!

LOL, Alex! I hear it with "stone" more than "turnip," but I definitely hear it with turnip, too. Turnip seems funnier. Where did you hear it if not in English or French?

LOL, Alex! I hear it with "stone" more than "turnip," but I definitely hear it with turnip, too. Turnip seems funnier. Where did you hear it if not in English or French?

I'm Italian. I've been living in Paris for 15 years, but as I grew up in Italy I learnt all the proverbs there and I use them when speaking in French or in English, making a word per word translation and then explaining the meaning. Sometimes we find the corresponding proverb, more often not!

Ugh, someone at work came by to tell me that Colin and Christina were seen canoodling.  My very first instinct was to say I am sure it is part of the video they are filming. Which I am sure it is if even true.  I realized though how heartbroken I would be if Colin cheated on his wife.  Am I strange?

How would somebody at your work even know if they were "canoodling"?

It always sucks when a celeb you like does something less than stellar. It's a very understandable reaction to be disappointed. It's SO easy to put celebs on a pedestal, since we see so little of their real life and we want to believe the best of them. Mostly what we see is what they want to put out there, though things have changed a bit with so much social media and paparazzi. I try really hard not have expectations of their true personality and behavior, and simply enjoy their work. Doesn't always work 100%, but I try!

But, yeah, even if it's actually remotely true, I'm sure it's for the video. Or somebody's take on the pics she's posted.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1

I wouldn't go clutching the pearls just yet.  As everyone knows by now, Colin and Christina are collaborating on a new music video (she's been tweeting about it non-stop for a while now).  The alleged "canoodling" is probably just part of what we'll see in the video.

It's all just make-believe, people!

• Love 1

I've spent most of last night and today making cookies. I always make a bunch to take into work for Christmas. I've made: Fudge Toffee Bars, Sugar, Chocolate Crinkletops, Orange-Cranberry-Pecan Slices (new this year and FAB!), and Triple Ginger. If I feel like it tomorrow, I'll make Honey Coconut Oatmeal. Or I may just wrap presents and watch football. Twenty dozen may be sufficient! ;)

I managed to spill a bunch of sugar all over the counter not once but twice. I am so gonna have ants. Sigh.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2

Every year I make a couple of batches of Spritz cookies, and I usually make a batch of dark chocolate mint fudge to bring to the party hosted by the friend who can't have gluten (celiac disease, not current health fad). I think I'm going to do a batch of Swedish teacakes tomorrow to share with friends when we get together for dinner Tuesday night. Then it's a chocolate pecan pie to bring to my parents' house for Christmas. I didn't make as many kinds of cookies as I usually do. I talked about trying something new, but everyone said they wanted the ones I always bring.

I just got back from a Christmas lights viewing excursion. There was a house with an animated display synchronized to music, and they had a rather interesting recording of "Let it Go" that sounded like it was done by the Trans Siberian Orchestra. Previously, we'd seen two people dressed as Elsa and Anna walking around downtown in the small (well, formerly small -- it really grew, but the downtown is a classic small town) town nearby that goes overboard for Christmas. The old downtown is covered in lights, and there were all kinds of displays set up for taking pictures in front of, and there were Elsa and Anna, posing in front of things. They weren't children, either. I guess the craze isn't dying out.

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it!   (Happy Random Winter Day With Limited Entertainment Options to those who don't. ;)

Side note:  Have made what is possibly the worst vegetable dip, ever. Am now trying to figure out another dip that is made entirely of things I do not have to leave the house for. 

Merry Christmas, everyone! I'm sitting here, watching the clock until work lets us the hell out. ;)

Mari, not sure what you have on hand, but an easy spinach dip can be made with 1 package of chopped spinach, an 8-oz tub of sour cream, a softened 8-oz block of cream cheese, and a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch powder. Microwave the spinach per the package instructions, mix everything together, serve with veggies or crackers or anything that's not going to break (because the dip is thick). I bring it everywhere and it is consistently a hit.

• Love 2

Merry Christmas Eve, all! I went out for German food with some friends last night, then made pecan waffles this morning (mostly so I'll have leftovers I can easily heat for Christmas morning). I'm about to make a chocolate pecan pie to bring to my parents' house tomorrow. Then I have to wrap gifts and pack and then try to fit in a nap before I sing for two church services tonight. I don't want to be yawning my way through the 11 p.m. service. When I drag myself out of bed Christmas morning, I'll head to my parents' house. I will likely be introducing my mom to Frozen while I'm there, as she hasn't seen it yet. I just discovered that I must have bought the DVD of Anastasia at some point (I don't remember doing so ...) and I haven't watched that one in years, so I'll bring that, too. The history nerd in me has to be drugged into unconsciousness to watch it (sorry, but Anastasia did die in the massacre, they found DNA), but if I pretend that it's a fantasy set in another world, so it's about Not!Russia, it works.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy Festivus and Joyous Kwanzaa! I'll be traveling for Christmas festivities with the family tomorrow, so my Christmas Eve will be spent eating rumballs, listening to Tim Curry read me A Christmas Carol on audio book and then falling asleep to A Christmas Story. 

I'm so glad I discovered this forum this year. Y'all keep me sane, and that's saying a lot. Peace!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! Still have about 8 1/2 hours until Christmas, but we still have a lot to do! My mom is hosting the Christmas party this year, and then we have my dad's side of the family's party on Saturday. Then we go to my grandma's on Sunday evening!

Tonight is a nice dinner and later we watch "Christmas in Connecticut" (it's traditional)!

Have fun everybody!

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to everyone! daxx, I'm allergic to nuts and chocolate, so I can feel you pain. lol I'm planning to attend the Christmas Eve service tonight, dinner with friends tomorrow, and go watch the final Hobbit movie. 

• Love 1

Oh, Rumsy, that's awful! My mom is allergic to chocolate, and peanut butter stuff is generally her replacement treat. How terrible to be allergic to both! (I'm allergic to penicillin and anything remotely in the same family, which isn't annoying on a day-to-day basis but certainly is when I need an antibiotic.)

Edited by Souris

If I recall correctly, it was just a year ago (-ish) that we revived the TWoP OUAT Meet Market and really started talking. I miss you guys like Rumsy4 must miss chocolate and nuts. 

I wish you all a Merry Christmas, even if you don't celebrate it, I hope you have a great day. 

Edited to add...

Just waiting for the kids to finish showering and go to bed, so we can stuff their stockings and go to bed, so I visited the Wayback Machine. We went from June, 2012, to December 19, 2013 without a Meet Market post, then resurrected it. So glad to have gotten to know you all.

LINK: https://web.archive.org/web/20140330084234/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/topic/3209372-once-upon-a-time-meet-market/page-2

Edited by CindyMcLennan
  • Love 4

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it!!!

Presents that were under the tree were opened, my Dad is happy for what he received, the kitten is playing with the new toy, the older cat is checking the kitchen!

The beef is already half done (Beef Wellington is the tradition in my home), veggies are going to wait for my father to cut them (family tradition is that we cook all together), the panettone (traditional North Italy Christmas cake) is waiting to be eaten!

May Santa bring peace and serenity to all of you :)

• Love 1

Merry Christmas! Peace and love.

Sorry, I never did introduce myself here. I was a Once lurker at Television Without Pity and a poster on the "House" board way back when. I finally decided to jump in here. I've been watching Once since the beginning of the series.

• Love 3

Merry Christmas, all! Now I guess I'd better get dressed and on the road. But I didn't get home from church until nearly 1 a.m., and all the tea I had to drink to keep from yawning through the late service kept me wired a little later, so I think that's a valid excuse. I'll do Christmas "morning" when I get to my parents' house.

• Love 1

I hope everybody had a lovely Christmas. I managed to mess up the sweet potato casserole by grabbing the coconut extract instead of the vanilla, and didn't realize it until after I'd already added it. I tried to mask it with more ginger and cinnamon, but it still had an undertone of coconut extract. Not a disaster, but unfortunate. It could have been worse, though -- I could have accidentally grabbed the peppermint extract. That would have been AWFUL!

• Love 3

It was a memorable Christmas for my family and not in a good way. One of my parents' dogs had to be put to sleep. Sophie, our Poodle/Shih-Tzu mix started having seizures a couple of days ago and couldn't eat or stand or walk. My mom took her in on Friday and the vet advised putting her to sleep. She was 8 and will be missed. Their other dog, Miley, keeps looking around for Sophie. They did everything together.

Oh, no, that's terrible! I am so, so sorry for your loss. ::hugs:: Pets are part of our family and are so special.

I have an almost 19-year-old cat who I know I'll be facing that decision with sooner than I'd like, and I'm going to be a basket case about it.