Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

I'm being a "pirate lite" for Halloween. All I had to buy was a hat, and I found a nice tricorn costume hat with feathery trim. Otherwise, I'm wearing black leggings, boots with fold-down tops, a white blouse with large lacy collar and cuffs, a black brocade vest, a red riding-style jacket and a wide black belt from the 80s -- the kind of thing that back in the day you'd wear with a tunic and stirrup pants. It slants slightly across the hips and looks kind of like a sword belt. I thought about getting a cutlass, but I've learned that props get annoying or uncomfortable at the party I'm going to. I'll just silence my enemies with a terrifying glare. I mostly came up with the costume as an excuse to wear the blouse. It was something that called to me from a clearance rack at Target years ago, but it doesn't really work with anything other than costumes because it's so ornate. The back laces up corset-style, and it ties at the wrists with ribbons that get into everything. But it's so cool, so I keep coming up with ways to use it in costumes.

If I'd had time and energy, I'd have been totally tempted to do Evil Bo Peep, but I am doing my hair like that, since the hat style is from around the same period.

• Love 1

I was a pirate last year. This year I'm doing steampunk. I have been shocked at how many of the people I know have never heard of steampunk. I thought it was one of those genres that most people have heard of.

• Love 1

I wore the Bandit Snow costume to Trunk or Treat. One mom recognized it and gave me a high five. My daughters were Elsa and Anna. There were so many Elsas that mine was irked but I think she had the only home made one. My toddler guy was Olaf and he got the most attention of all of us. 

• Love 6

I seriously eyed that Bandit Snow pattern for awhile this summer, but I ended up doing Katniss' Capitol party outfit from "Catching Fire" (the movie costume) instead. And I am so bummed that the party I was going to wear it to was cancelled. 

• Love 1

I had a completely different Once moment today. I was at a meeting in a conference center downtown. When we broke for lunch I decided to walk until I found a place that looked good. As I passed a small pizza place I heard music from the speakers on their patio. It was the "da da da dun daaaa" song from the pilot what plays as Emma pursues the bond jumper. I felt mighty as I entered that restaurant even though I wasn't wearing a sexy red dress. 

I know it is Howlin for you by the Black Keys but I always think of it as the da da da dun daaaa song.

• Love 1

I seriously eyed that Bandit Snow pattern for awhile this summer, but I ended up doing Katniss' Capitol party outfit from "Catching Fire" (the movie costume) instead. And I am so bummed that the party I was going to wear it to was cancelled.

Wear it when you hand out candy! The older kids will love it. I have a pattern bookmarked of that cool one-armed cowl from Catching Fire. Just have to knit down some of my existing stash first. Edited by sharky

So, the free webhosting service I used to house my fic archive (which I was under no delusion that anyone visited but me ... it was mostly to have them all backed up somewhere that wasn't my computer/apartment) changed its service tiers so now I can't upload my own HTML files as a free user. Since I'm now in need of some place to store things ... someone talk me out of making a fic Tumblr.

I thought the same thing but do it! It's a time suck but it also gives you more readers. I actually saw my traffic increase after joining tumblr.

And you know, Captain Swan gifs! They're mesmerizing.

• Love 3

That's still not helping! ;)

I reserved myself a name but didn't get any further than that. I have an unexpected day off tomorrow so I have a funny feeling I'm going to be setting up a fic Tumblr, haha.

Welcome to the dark side ;-)

You should give us your URL so we can follow you. I'm always looking for new fics to read.

• Love 4

And I did it. I am now Dani-Ellie03 on Tumblr.

So! Hit me with Captain Swan stuff, Emma stuff, and Charming Family stuff! And it goes without saying that any of y'all who have a Tumblr, let me know so I can follow you, too. :)

When I get home I'll be following you. :)

I clearly need to go back to the beginning of this thread and start following everyone.

I'll post my URL when I'm home.

My blog used to be multi-fandom but now pretty much stick to JMo, Captain Swan, Once, House, spoilers, and then whatever strikes me.

You have to install an extension called Xkit or Tumblr Savior. I recommend Xkit, because it has other useful functions as well. Not everyone tags spoilers though! So, I would recommend not following people who don't tag. But that might limit your pool. :-p

And I did it. I am now Dani-Ellie03 on Tumblr.

So! Hit me with Captain Swan stuff, Emma stuff, and Charming Family stuff! And it goes without saying that any of y'all who have a Tumblr, let me know so I can follow you, too. :)

I'm already following you. I'm radiogirl27 there (not very original, I know). My blog is a mixture of OUAT (mainly Emma and Hook), lots of art and whatever strikes me. I also tag everything.

I use Tumblr Savior. It's very simple and it works fine for me.

Edited by RadioGirl27

Ya, what Rumsy4 said. Personally, I use Tumblr Savior because it's a smaller plugin, very simpley and  really I just need to blacklist. Plus, every once in a while if you use XKit with Google Chrome a google update causes, well,  "Bad things, Mikey. Bad things" Though the developer is really good about getting it fixed as soon as he can.

I subscribed to all of your Tumblr except regularyleaded's as I don't know it. I'm alexinhere. My tumblr is empty for the time being, as I have little time, but things should change in a couple of weeks as I'm negotiating to quit the job... If you have nothing to do tomorrow morning (Europe time), please think about me :)

Edited by Alex

Oops, Alex. :) Hehe, I was typing as I ran out the door for lunch and forgot to add my tumblr: zodabel. There's very little there 'cause I'm not an at all avid reblogger. I mostly use it to post my own stuff. I don't write fics because I can't write, but I do art, I be arting....so that's what's there. Yes, I'm a total dork. I'm completely aware of this ;) I guess I should reblog more stuff that comes across my dash? Meh, whatever ;)

ETA: If there is, ShadowFacts, a such thing as tumblr lurker, I'm probably one of them :) I do very little reblogging, but I do follow many blogs and have a general idea of what's going on in the fandom and fandumb (though Lord only knows why I spend so much time letting myself get sucked into it all)

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 3

Question:  Is there a tumblr equivalent of lurking?  I don't want to blog, or spend much time there, but wouldn't mind following along with some discussions here that seem to relate to there.

Yes! You can either create a blog and just follow the people whose discussions you'd like to read or you can just go directly to their blogs or the tags of the thing you want to read about (e.g. charming family or anti-regina mills or what have you) without creating a tumblr. The second option is actually more work, IMO. The first is totally something a lot of people do. No one minds being followed with no interaction or actual blogging. It happens all the time. If you go with that option, I would put a couple of pics or something on your blog or else people will think you are a bot.

• Love 2

I actually spent a whole year just tracking the tag for the Lizzie Bennet Diaries on tumblr. I'd made an account, but I don't think I actually followed any blogs other than the official tumblr for the show. But that was a much smaller fandom. It was when I started shipping CS in early S3 than I became active on tumblr. And then I was sucked into the vortex. I never go into the general OUAT or CS tags on tumblr, because the CS/OUAT fandom is huge, and there's a lot of crazy stuff out there. I just stick to my dash. :-p

• Love 1

I'm totally a tumblr lurker (haven't posted a thing since registering), and I rarely follow new blogs because I'm too lazy to find them out (I'm interested in many very different things but searching for people who post good stuff is such a pain... thus I have to live with a dash that's 30% untagged Supernatural, a show I've long stopped watching and don't give a damn about, simply to get the other stuff that person posts). I stopped following all Once blogs some time ago, though - I guess I'm not that enamored with the show anymore after 3B and the current season. I did follow your blog, InsertWordHere, as you don't seem to go overboard with Once and some of your other interests seem to align with mine :)

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

I did follow your blog, InsertWordHere, as you don't seem to go overboard with Once and some of your other interests seem to align with mine :)

Well, thank you very much for the follow :) Fair warning, some days I'm like "OUaT, what's that?" (like today because omg Age of Ultron sneak peeks) and some days I'm like all OUaT all the time. Depends on how that week's episode went and how much fandom drama I step into (or deliberately seek out, I admit it). I've never watched Supernatural, so you don't have to worry about me blogging about that show.

Will follow you when I'm back at my desktop. Tumblr does not like my iPod.

Tumblr mobile is just the worst.

I might start lurking your pages, but every time I go to Tumblr, my eyes go nuts from all the animated gifs. For someone who works in tech, I've become quite the luddite when it comes to social media. 

InsertWordHere, I'm enjoying your Age of Ultron stuff.  :)

Edit: OMG, Daxx04, I love the Sleepy Hollow pumpkins!

Edited by Leia1979
  • Love 3

Ooh, thanks, Souris! I've got a bunch of names that I don't recognize and I'm all, "I don't know who this is!" One was an online friend I've known for over a decade and just had never seen her use that screenname before, haha.

Anti-Regina and Swan Queen is all right in my book! ;)

• Love 1

Today, I watched the elementary school kids Halloween parade. No, I'm not a creepy stalker. I live across from the school and when a bunch of cars parked in front of my house with people just standing around, I investigated further and saw the kids parading around the playground for their parents. Anyway, just for my amusement, I decided to count the Elsas.

Final tally:

18 Kid Elsas

1 Teacher Elsa

1 Anna

1 Snow White

0 Evil Queens

Edited by KAOS Agent

I"m just back from Disney World and the place was crawling with Annas and Elsas. I went to the Halloween Party as Snow in her "Lady of the Lake" white coat. 

I was there two weeks ago. So.many.Elsas.andAnnas. During the celebration show, one little Elsa behind us was belting Let it Go from her Dad's shoulders. She was amazing!

Mr.WordHere and I went as pirates. Not really because of any great pirate love, but because I found matching costumes for $10 each. We were even complimented by a real life "pirate" in the Pirates of the Caribbean gift shop.

Tumblr newbies--please turn on your asks so I can ask you who you are on here. hehe

And Happy Halloween, everybody!

(edit: and opening page 13 with that, what coincidence... on a Friday...)

dun... dun... dun...

• Love 1

I'm out of town for Halloween, so unless I get trick or treaters at my hotel room (I do have some candy), I won't be seeing any tiny Elsas. Actually, I think I may be the youngest person in this hotel. Which has made for a very quiet and restful vacation.