Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

Happy New Year, y'all! Did anyone else get a 2015 Once calendar?

I gave one to my boys for Christmas. Not the best choices of pictures and Regina is Jan. but Colin is the last months of 2014 so he's been up since Christmas. :)

Happy New Year!!!

The first day of the year and I already had my first disappointment. A great restaurant I used to love has changed its management, and it's not great anymore, it's not even good. At least, it was cheap.

I gave one to my boys for Christmas. Not the best choices of pictures and Regina is Jan. but Colin is the last months of 2014 so he's been up since Christmas. :)

Mine is in my kitchen since I missed out on getting a free Betty Crocker calendar this year. But I discovered Hook is also on the back of the front cover. So, I tore out the Regina page and will probably do so until May when it's Hook again. Maybe I'll keep Rumple.

• Love 2

There's been a shooting yesterday in Paris. Terrorist attack to a satirical weekly. I had many people asking me if I was ok and I was. Sorry for the twelve death people, indignant for the act, but ok in general.

But this morning there was another shooting, downstairs from my building and now I'm not ok anymore. I thought my suburb was quiet and calm and safe and now I think that nowhere is safe.

The positive thing is that I must go out because I have an appointment I cannot postpone (and I tried) and it's perhaps a good thing: when you fall from a horse, you have to ride again immediately, otherwise you'll be overwhelmed by fear. And this is what they want, for us to be in fear and scared and paralyzed. Well, the hell. I'll ride. Fearful and uncertain and shaken and crying, but I'll ride.

• Love 1

All we can do is go on living our lives. I'll say a prayer for you! I live in an area that is having trouble with crime related to drugs, so I know what you mean. Spread love wherever you can!

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 1

Thank you.

I'm better. Still shaken, it's going to take time, but I'm dealing with it. Going out did me good.

Although it was strange to see the Riot Control Forces armed to the teeth and with rifles in their hands, first time I see this in 15 years I've been in Paris. Police helicopters are coming and going over our heads, have been all day.

I'll live normally. Without going with the underground, though! But it's not a great loss, as I used it the least possible already!!!

• Love 5

This is probably awful of me, but my upstairs neighbors moved out this morning, and I am thrilled to pieces. These people were the neighbors from hell. I've had water running down my walls (and out my light fixtures) because they didn't understand the concept of their dishwasher not being a garbage disposal. I've had a flood in my apartment (in the middle of the night) because they left their sink on and fell asleep. I've had water dripping through my bathroom ceiling light fixture because they left the faucet on with a cloth in the sink and then went out.

Oh, and during one of these water incidences? I had arcing behind my wall. The sound of the electricity crackling was what had woken me up. I was petrified I was going to wake up one night to an electrical fire.

And this is on top of them coming down and asking to use my laundry card, like use your own damn laundry card because why should I have to pay to wash your clothes, and yelling and swearing at each other so loudly that I can hear them clearly through my ceiling.

And of this morning, they're gone and I. Am. Stoked.

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 4

Not really. Every time anything happened (especially with the water), I went to the management office to lodge a complaint. (I rent a condo.) The maintenance guys are great and they looked around each time and said everything was fine, mostly because I always caught it early. Even with the flood, the rain in my bathroom had woken me up early enough that there was only superficial damage in my place (they had to repaint my ceiling and I ended up buying new towels to replace the ones I'd used mopping up). The time with the arcing electricity, Maintenance was in my unit at 5AM wrapping everything in electrical tape for me so nothing behind the wall was exposed. Neither my landlord nor I had to pay for any of it, as it didn't originate with me; I have no idea how their landlord handled the damages on their end.

But there really wasn't much I could do since I rent and they rented. The management office would pass along my complaints, but it was up to their landlord to decide what to do about them. (Which sucked because there was always that little fear in the back of my mind that I'd come home to a real flood. That was my complaint the most recent time: I'd been an hour away from leaving for a family party, so if it had happened any later in the afternoon, I would have been gone for hours and I wouldn't have caught it in time.)

Edited by Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie you have my sympathy.  I too had an upstairs neighbor who owned his unit, and every time his toilet pipes malfunctioned, water ran into my apartment (through the light fixture).  I rented and the management had to pay to fix it up.  After it happened a couple of times management informed him that it was mandatory he fix his leak (apparently he never really fixed it, just kept using it for weeks/months - and had two bathrooms so when one leaked just used the other until it leaked also.)  He used to get up at 4 AM every day to go to work (and thus woke me as well.) He liked to do some exercises that caused banging on his floor/my ceiling when he got up.  I suffered in silence until I finally moved out to a much quieter abode.  That was a happy day.  Congratulations on being rid of your neighbor and here's hoping the next one is better. 

Ugh, Dani-Ellie! Hopefully, you can stay dry now. We luckily have finally moved into our own house so no shared walls, but our neighbor next door is weird and we're waiting for him to move. He's had his house on the market for almost a year now and finally has a buyer but no idea when he's leaving. It's just strange because he's this antisocial divorced guy on a block full of families.

Thanks, guys! This feels like such a breath of fresh air. I actually can't wait to run into my awesome upstairs neighbor who lives next to the neighbors from hell. She told me that the NfH would knock on her door asking for like, slices of tomato, and then get angry with her when she said she didn't have any. Go buy your own tomatoes! I have a funny feeling we're going to squee together, haha.

Worsel, that's terrible! I really don't understand the lack of consideration of some people, especially in an apartment/condo situation. When your floors are someone else's ceilings, there should be an expectation that things in your apartment should not regularly disrupt your neighbors' lives. Ugh.

Sharky, I'm hoping so! I hope your neighbor moves soon and the people move in is a nice family, too. :)

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 1

Oh, dear heavens, Dani-Ellie! What a nightmare those people were. Inconsiderate and dangerous, too. I'm so glad for you that they're gone! I think you and the other neighbor should crack open some champagne.

• Love 1

So, my parrot flew over to my DVD cabinet and knocked the S3 case cover onto the floor three times...the one with the Evil Queen on it. That's an omen in my house. I wonder if it means I'm not going to like 4b? Or maybe he just hates the Evil Queen :)

• Love 1

Is this forum not generally known, since TWOP folded? I don't see it referred to on Twitter, but I'm not a regular Twitter follower, either. It's a great deal more civil here.....not nearly so much "noise" to filter through, which is why I prefer it.

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 1

Just telling everyone in the Northeast or wherever is getting hit by this surprise snowstorm to stay safe! Driving home from work, I saw so many people driving blind because their windows were iced up and/or covered with snow (at least they were smart enough to drive no more than 15 mph, if that). The roads around here are terrible, you could actually SEE the giant sheets of ice under the snow. So yea, be careful everyone!

So here's one for the "winter weather is dangerous in ways you don't always expect" file.

Last night, a chunk of ice fell off the roof of my work building and broke the gas line, resulting in a small fire on the side of the building. Everyone is fine, the building is fine minus some scorching of the siding, but we have no heat because we have no gas. We've got space heaters all over the place for now and I'm wearing two layers because the news of the heating situation made the rounds last night, but yeah, this is going to be an interesting couple of days. ;)

Thanks, guys!

Mari, at this point, I'm seriously wondering if I'm the one who's cursed! Between the neighbors from hell (although now that they've moved, things are so much better) and the fire at work, maybe weird structural bad luck just follows me wherever I go. ;)

Souris, it was indeed. All in all, we were very lucky; it could have been much, much worse.

This is sorta out of nowhere, but I've been reading 'Bambi' by Felix Salten. You know, the book Bambi (Disney) was based on.

What can I say???? It's quite different... yet it's kinda the same?

A few things (minor spoilers):

-Momma Bambi's death is far, far, far less sad in the book.

-The general plot (following Bambi growing up) is the same.

-Bambi and Faline are stated to be cousins, so; incest. Everyone already knew this anyway.

-Faline has/had? a twin brother named Gobo!!!!!

-There are quite a few more deer characters (who actually had names) in the book than in the movie.

-Thumper and Flower do not exist. I repeat: THUMPER AND FLOWER DO NOT EXIST!!!

I've actually enjoyed it pretty well so far (I'm not quite finished with it). Watching Bambi is never going to be the same. That's for sure. Another part of my childhood ruined forever.

Well, Disney's versions of the fairy tales are not really following the original tales....

The little mermaid never gets the  prince (she's turned into a spirit), Snow White isn't waken up by a kiss and the queen dances to her death, Pinocchio's original story is totally different, Same for the Ice Queen's and Sleeping Beauty's stories, Ah, and the Dalmatians' too!!

Well, Disney's versions of the fairy tales are not really following the original tales....

The little mermaid never gets the prince (she's turned into a spirit), Snow White isn't waken up by a kiss and the queen dances to her death, Pinocchio's original story is totally different, Same for the Ice Queen's and Sleeping Beauty's stories, Ah, and the Dalmatians' too!!

I know, but I guess I wasn't expecting 'Bambi' of all books to have to have so much death everywhere (granted, a lot of them are nameless forest critters). Yet oddly enough it's very realistic of what happens in nature. The author does a really good job writing deer and other creatures quite realistically (besides the talking)?

I could see Bambi could be a villain on ouat. He was going to annihilate two deer that were interested in Faline. There was almost no mercy (Bambi's instincts took over). He left Ronno with quite the shoulder wound (there was blood). Plus, he has a good enough backstory for the show:his mother starts ditching him all the time when he grows older and eventually she dies, his father comes and goes, he gets hunted all his life, his friends die due to hunters and winter, etc.

ETA: I finished the book! It was a quick read, and it was surprisingly a pretty good book. Of course my two favorite characters end up dead by the end of it (at least one was due to old age) so...yeah.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

I'm a little confused about where to put speculation based on spoilers. I know we can use spoiler tags in the Speculation thread, but spoiler-tagging entire posts seems to stop the conversation. I also know some spoilery speculation is fine in the spoilers thread, but sometimes it's difficult to gauge how much is too much. There seems to be a little bit of ambiguity there. Might just be me, lol.

• Love 1

To me, if speculation is based on a spoiler, it should go in the spoiler thread. Lines of spoiler tags doesn't seem right in the non-spoiler speculation thread. But I don't know now.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1

If I have to block out 80% of a post with spoiler tags because the spec I s predicated on a spoiler,I can't see how that facilitates discussion. It's also hell to read through spoiler tags on a mobile device. I also don't understand what goes in All Seasons because there is a pinned post at the top which says it is not the all purpose General discussion venue, but rather dedicated to comparing realms. I'd really love to see spoilers be the spoilers and spoilers speculation thread.

The Spoilers and Spoilery Discussion topic is the place to talk and speculate about spoilers. As long as your speculation is tied to a spoiler you're fine. We fairly regularly are seeing the topic veer off into speculation not based on spoiler or rewriting the show's past. Those are the types of posts that should be elsewhere.

PM one of the mods with any questions, thanks.

• Love 1

Same here. We've gotten something like four and a half or five feet of snow in like, two weeks. I'm so done with it. I'm sick of brushing/scraping my car whenever I go out, I'm sick of shoveling out my car, I'm sick of driving 20 mph everywhere I go, I'm sick of having to say a silent prayer every time I get to an intersection because seeing past the snowbanks is so difficult. I'm just done. [/grumble grumble grumble]

I can deal with all these things and to be honest, I actually really love driving in the snow, because well Canadian...must be in my blood or something.  

But I'm so done after the whole "blizzard" and weather paranoia and flailing we seem to get in NYC whenever a system approaches and inevitably misses us.  You know what?  Just give me the snow storm and the 3 feet of snow.  I can deal with that, I'm used to it.  

You'd think we're about to deal with either the Zombie apocalypse or a nuclear winter or something equally horrific.  

So done with Winter.   

You should all come to Europe (but I really mean France, northern Italy, England, Ireland. There countries I know better!), because winter here is great! Not too much cold, not too much snow or rain, some fantastic sunny days...