Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

^ so sad about Leonard Nimoy.

Well, we are on our way back from Texas. 99.9% of my brother's stuff fit into his car and my parent's van. Only a few things had to be sacrificed.

The drive down wasn't very good. We hit that ice storm in Arkansas. There were so many semi-trucks in the ditches they actually closed down part of the highway. One thing I noticed is that down south they don't seem to plow the shoulder of the roads (the section on the other side of the white line), which is a little odd to me.

Temps were 30s to 50s. It wouldn't have been so bad without the wind.

We're in Little Rock right now, and the weather is much better! Kinda sad though, because we'll apparently be missing record-breaking cold temps in Michigan. I hope someone takes a pic of a thermometer for me. :(

We'll all be getting home on Sunday (we're takin our time home). I've been debating, but I think I'm going to skip the Once premiere, but watch Downton's finale. I plan on catching up on Gotham on Sunday as well (and maybe Htgawm if I'm lucky; I've managed to avoid finale spoilers).

I figured I can save the wonderful corny drama of Once for Monday at some point.

Too much to catch up on in the internet world. It was just yesterday that I finally got to retweet all the Oscar stuff. I feel so lame. On the other hand, I got 19/24, two categories less than last year, but I won the family competition!

One thing I noticed is that down south they don't seem to plow the shoulder of the roads (the section on the other side of the white line), which is a little odd to me.

You're lucky if something is plowed at all. We barely have snow plows in this part of the world. The Dallas area was practically paralyzed yesterday by two inches of snow.

Maybe I have my priorities out of whack, but a friend just suggested we go out to dinner Sunday evening and I told him I had plans. Okay, so my plans involve being parked in front of the TV, but they still count as plans, right? I may not be optimistic, but I've still been anticipating this for a while. I'm narrowing down my menu plans, but I think it's going to be chicken pot pie for dinner (during the recap show) and apple turnovers with hot buttered rum during the episode itself.

Oh, I forgot, I do have pineapple. I cut one up today, but I'm not doing anything fancy with it. No olives, or anything like that.

I will also have some stress knitting handy. My singing to drown out Regina whining will probably be selections from the stage version of Mary Poppins, since I'm helping with the town youth production of it as backstage backup chorus, and we go into heavy rehearsals next week. There are a lot of younger kids who've never done a musical before involved, so they're bringing in a few adult ringers to add a little oomph to the chorus parts, especially when there's a lot of dancing or for notes you don't expect the kids to hit (I get to bust out the high C I don't get to use very often at one point, but at another point I'm singing alto because that's where they need the weight).

As I work on this, I'm glad that it seems like the Travers estate is pretty tight on the rights, so they can't turn Mary Poppins into a Once Upon a Time villain or victim. Still, just think what she could do with Henry ...

While on my walk today, I watched one of the most traumatizing things I've ever seen. This guy was driving down the highway dragging his dog along side his car. It was absolutely awful. I don't think the driver knew what was wrong when he pulled over, but once he saw my expression, he knew it was bad. I've never been so happy to see something move in my entire life. That dog actually stood up on its own. She was in a lot of pain, but considering what I'd seen happen to her, it was a miracle. The vet was just a bit down the road, so I stopped in there on my return trip and was told that she was going to be just fine. Just a lot of cuts and scrapes, but no serious damage.

The guy's wife, who'd driven over there in a rush after a frantic call from her husband, explained how it had happened and it really was a tragic accident with a thankfully happy ending, but everyone should remember to always keep track of your pets because that was a really, really horrific thing to see happen to a helpless animal. 

Edited by KAOS Agent

How funny!! My Rob Brezsny horoscope for this week says (bold mine):

There's a meme rolling around Tumblr and Facebook that goes like this: "Everyone wants a magical solution for their problems, but they refuse to believe in magic." Judging from the astrological omens, I think this Internet folk wisdom applies to your current situation. As I see it, you have two choices. If you intend to keep fantasizing about finding a magical solution, you will have to work harder to believe in magic. But if you can't finagle your brain into actually believing in magic, you should stop fantasizing about a magical solution. Which will it be?
Even if your heart's not exactly shattered at the moment, it has no doubt been so at some time in the past. I invite you to feel a wave of sadness about your suffering, then move on to this possibility: that having a broken heart is one of the best things that can happen to you.
Why? Because it strengthens your humility, which makes you smarter. It demonstrates to you that you have a tremendous capacity for deep feelings -- far more than you're normally aware of. It breaks down defense mechanisms that have desensitized you to the world's secret beauty. It may also inspire you to treat other people's hearts with greater care, making it more likely that you'll be able to create intelligent intimacy in the future.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?!

Just got back from the vet ... I had to put my kitty Cinnamon down. She was in congestive heart failure, and the options were do a chest tap to drain some of the fluid off (but they weren't sure how long that would have held) or put her down. I didn't want to keep her suffering and I couldn't take her home not knowing how much time we would have, so I chose to put her down.

I was not anticipating this at all so I'm still a little in shock.

Aww, that's really, really sad.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  We had to put our dog down almost five years ago and it was just the hardest thing in the world.  Animals are our family and it's just sad when they go.

I'm so sorry to read that Dani :-(  I'm a vet tech, and it's definitely the hardest part of my job.  Esp when it's the kitties...It sounds like you did the right thing for her, though I'm sure it was an incredibly tough decision.  Thinking of you.

Oh, no, Dani-Ellie, I am SO sorry and sad for you! I was so hoping she'd be OK. There's just nothing easy about that situation, regardless of whether you were expecting it might happen or not.

Thank you, guys. The vet pretty much told me I made the right choice, so I'm taking some comfort in that. And she was with it enough to give me a couple final licks just before he came in the sedative so there's that, too. I just was really not expecting tonight to go like this, so I've been kind of a mess, heh.

I just got back from Wizard World ComicCon where I spent waaaay too much money, but had a blast. It's a much smaller show than something like DragonCon, but that was fine, because it was less crowded. Still, David Tennant, Shatner, Elvira, Sean Astin, James Marsters and Ian Somerhalder were there. For me, the highlight was the Q&A with Joel Hodgson from Mystery Science Theater 3000. He really is kind of an idol of mine, and he was just so funny and engaging.

Like I said, I spent way too much money. Unfortunately there wasn't much Once merch, and what there was, I didn't really want (some 3B posters and a t-shirt with Regina on it). Instead I bought a metalwork dragon, a Red Dwarf tee, a Princess Leia tee, and some lobby posters. A great way to spend a Saturday.

Edited by ABitOFluff
  • Love 2

Ah, you were in Raleigh. A few of my friends are there, and another friend is going tomorrow mainly to see Joel Hodgson.

Oh cool! It was a lot of fun, and Joel did not disappoint. Also, I don't think I've seen so many Doctors or Tardis costumes in my life!

• Love 1

For me, the highlight was the Q&A with Joel Hodgson from Mystery Science Theater 3000. He really is kind of an idol of mine, and he was just so funny and engagin

I'm a huge MST3K fan. I basically reenact it whenever I rewatch episodes of Once. ;)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

I can't remember if it was Tom Servo or Crow T. Robot who said this immortal line, but I use it often: "Jeez, I'd slap this movie if I could." I substitute "show" for "movie."

Off to Disneyland the next few days. Sad that Peter Pan is closed for refurbishment. It's one of my favorites, but at least my very fav is open pirates.

Have lots of fun!

I'm still hoping I can one day return to Disneyworld. The last time I was there was when I was maybe 6ish?

I saw the actor who played Hook in a coffee shop this morning.  He looks a lot less skinny in real life.  It wasn't too warm but he was wearing shorts.  No one paid him any attention.  It took me awhile to realize it was him.  He has a very conventional look.  I guess it didn't help he was at the other end near the door/front windows, and the sun shining through made it hard to look in that direction.

• Love 4

Wow Camera One, that's awesome! I had to LOL that he was in a coffee shop. That cast sure is addicted to the stuff. I totally would have freaked out and then tried to compose myself to ask for a photo or to just say Hi. But Colin is my #1 right now, so I would have been on cloud 9 to just see him.

• Love 2

I saw the actor who played Hook in a coffee shop this morning.  He looks a lot less skinny in real life.  It wasn't too warm but he was wearing shorts.  No one paid him any attention.  It took me awhile to realize it was him.  He has a very conventional look.  I guess it didn't help he was at the other end near the door/front windows, and the sun shining through made it hard to look in that direction.

Are you sure it wasn't the blinding Colin aura? ;)

Was he sitting, or was he just getting coffee & leaving?

The cast really does run on coffee!

Edited by Souris

He was waiting at the end for his order, thus he was near the door.  He had more than 1 coffee so had a carry-out tray, plus a breakfast sandwich of some sort.  I felt I glanced over there too many times already, LOL.  Though he was mostly looking down at his phone so he probably didn't notice.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

Saw iZombie, Rose McIver is really great there. She plays a very likable lead, and the show is fun. Not much David Anders in the pilot, but it seems we'll get much more of him next week. Definitely recommend the show.

• Love 1

Here's a question for those more technologically advanced than I am:

My tumblr app hasn't been working the past two days, and I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to fix it? First of all, I don't have an actual account on tumblr, I just use it to lurk. It crashes after 10 seconds of being open. I've tried restarting my ipod, I've deleted and redownloaded the app. The internet is working just fine.

The last time this happened (which was the end of Feb.) tumblr didn't start working again until I was in a completely different state and using hotel wifi (it continued to work normally after that).

The only other thing I can think of is that the ipod is getting too old? It's 3-4 years old, so the tumblr app is the last version that is supported by iOS 6.1.6.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

It says I've got 3 free gigs. :( It wouldn't e the battery would it? Although everything else works just fine. Maybe it's just getting too old?

I'm not quite sure how long ipod touches are supposed to live. Every time I look it up, people give a range from 1-2 yrs to 10. I do use mine constantly though, but I don't know if it'd be worth getting a new battery compared to getting a whole new ipod. A number of apps (like abc) only work on ios7 or higher nowadays.

Maybe I'll take it over to a McDonalds or somewhere with free wifi, download the app there and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help though!

Do you have to use the app? I have a small tablet, and the tumblr app is very slow, so I just use the mobile version of the site.

If I go onto tumblr (desktop style), is the option to go mobile offered? Usually I get a pop-up suggesting I download the app. I know some sites don't have mobile and instead you have to use the app.

I'll give it a try!

I feel kinda stupid trying to fix the problem, but I really enjoy scrolling through all the gorgeous graphics and gifs people make, and I love reading everyone's reactions. :(

ETA: mother of pearl! There's been a miracle! I just tried downloading the app one last time and it took 3 whole minutes,

But it works!!!! :"D

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help! I would also like to add that I believe my tumblr app magically fixing itself is one of the many side effects that have stemmed from the CS miracle-times the CS fandom has been experiencing this past half week.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2