Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

Fernando is a completely different song lyric-wise than the English version although the English version is still oddly folk-ish. 

Tsk, tsk.  Smuggling.   :)

On the other hand, you never know when those smuggling skills will be needed again.  Hook--and Han Solo--would probably approve.

So, Fernando is completely different?  What's the Swedish version about?

The Swedish version is about some person who loved and lost and wonders why Fernando is playing sad songs on his guitar. Then it goes off into talking about love and encouraging Fernando and others to celebrate it and remember it as good. There is no mention of war or liberty or any of the stuff that's in the English version other than that there's a guy named Fernando in both of them.

I usually smuggled in a couple of books and a walkman. Nothing really exciting, but they'd have taken them away if they caught me with them. Reading during our daily rest time wasn't removing me from Swedish culture, so I didn't really see a problem with it.

I spent five hours today weeding. On the plus side, I watched the video of Colin singing "Let the Music Play" right before I went outside, so it stuck in my head and I had Colin soundtracking my weeding.

I am off work this week and am spending it planting things and working in the garden, because I futzed about and didn't come up with anyplace cheap to go on vacation. I am getting a massage on Thursday, which I will desperately need after the gardening.

As far as music, I am a total child of the '80s, so my iTunes has a bunch of things like Cyndi Lauper, the Bangles, Duran Duran, the Cure and Pat Benatar. I do like a fair amount of modern acts, especially the uptempo stuff that gets me moving on the elliptical or exercise bike.

• Love 1
I do like a fair amount of modern acts, especially the uptempo stuff that gets me moving on the elliptical or exercise bike.

Nothing gets me moving on the elliptical or anything like that because I loathe working out.  I've actually downloaded a bunch of Arrested Development and Veep episodes for my workouts.  That's the only thing that seems to keep me focused and not crying bitter tears, or not wanting to slit my wrists while I'm on the treadmill.

Did I mention how much I hate working out?  The Winter is especially rough.  I let loose on the food and then when the Spring rolls around self-awareness kicks in and I feel like banging my head on the wall...a lot...because I'm such an idiot.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 1

As far as music, I am a total child of the '80s, so my iTunes has a bunch of things like Cyndi Lauper, the Bangles, Duran Duran, the Cure and Pat Benatar. I do like a fair amount of modern acts, especially the uptempo stuff that gets me moving on the elliptical or exercise bike.

I love your taste in music, Souris! I'd add Annie Lennox, INXS, The Go Go's, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts. Also, throw in Nirvana and Pearl Jam (of course).

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 1

I never really got into Pearl Jam (sorry, Colin!), but I like all the rest! Annie Lennox is awesome. Pretty sure I have something by most if not all of those in my iTunes. I have quite a few '80s compilation albums, since my originals were on cassette, LOL. I still have quite a few embarrassing cassettes from my high-school days -- Rick Springfield, Jack Wagner, etc. I once wore out two Bryan Adams cassettes.

Since I spent a year in Manchester, England, in the early '90s, I also love the Brit bands of that era -- James (my all-time-fave band), Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, Charlatans, Mock Turtles.

I'm currently in a folk/county-tinged phase, thanks mostly to "Nashville." Despite being from the South, I never liked country music, but the music on that show is amazing.

YaddaYadda, I hate working out, too, so I HAVE to have music that will pump me up.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1

I'm currently in a folk/county-tinged phase, thanks mostly to "Nashville." Despite being from the South, I never liked country music, but the music on that show is amazing .

Same here....from the South, can't stand country despite a stint in Texas! Just not my thing.

Edited by OnceUponAJen

I'm currently in a folk/county-tinged phase, thanks mostly to "Nashville." Despite being from the South, I never liked country music, but the music on that show is amazing.

The music on that show is so many kinds of awesome! I like country, but I don't like a lot of whats on the radio. Too much Frat Boy Country. I tend to lean more towards old school country, folk/blue grass, and some of the lesser known acts. I live near Nashville, so I sometimes go to hear live music, there is a lot of good stuff there, just not much gets radio play. I know some of the actors from the show play there sometimes, I am desperately hoping to see some of them.

Right now, I`m listening to a lot of Decemberists, and a lot of CCR.

• Love 1

As far as music, I am a total child of the '80s, so my iTunes has a bunch of things like Cyndi Lauper, the Bangles, Duran Duran, the Cure and Pat Benatar

I have a soft spot for ABBA

Now y'all are speaking my language. :)

• Love 1

The music on that show is so many kinds of awesome! I like country, but I don't like a lot of whats on the radio. Too much Frat Boy Country. I tend to lean more towards old school country, folk/blue grass, and some of the lesser known acts. I live near Nashville, so I sometimes go to hear live music, there is a lot of good stuff there, just not much gets radio play. I know some of the actors from the show play there sometimes, I am desperately hoping to see some of them.

I hope you get to! That would be fabulous. I hope the show gets renewed for next season. Did you know that Chris Carmack from "Nashville" is in Colin's movie "The Dust Storm"?

• Love 1

YES! Music talk! And OMG, ABBA!

So, random story — My mom was a big audiophile (still is actually), but when I was a kid, all her music albums were in spanish (we’re puerto rican). So growing up I had only ever heard ABBA in spanish. When I went to college in the states one day a friend of mine popped in an ABBA CD into her stereo and guess what? It was in english. My reaction? “Wow! I didn’t realize they did music in english?!” My friend thought I was crazy. She had no idea what I was talking about. Whereas I never knew they had albums in english, she didn’t know they existed in spanish…my friend is cuban. :P Oh college, expanding our horizons in new and unexpected ways ;)

You think you guys are bad with cassettes? My mother still has 8 tracks at the house! I dug up an old 8-track player for her and I’ve been slowly converting her old 8 track tapes into digital files using a converter. In case anyone is wondering, no, 8-tracks do not stand-up well to the test of time. The magnetic tape in some of the 8 tracks actually disintegrated. Turned to dust in hand. (Random note: Apparently many of the 8 tracks were my grandfathers and he was a fan of -- get this -- organ music. No singing accompaniment, just organ music. In the 8 track collection in the house there are several 8 tracks that are nothing but organ music ranging from religious organ music to almost carnival like organ music like the organ that plays at baseball games. It’s….well, it’s something ;)

I love all sorts of music. What I listen to depends on my mood. I loved classical and instrumental music growing up (still do). Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev fascinated me as a child. I fell in love with how instrumental music could be composed to tell a story, to give voice to character using only musical notes. I didn’t really get into mainstream music until college and really my exposure to rock, punk, and alternative (new or old) didn’t happen until then too. As I said before, music growing up was abundant, but the mainstream music heard at our house was predominantly in spanish. Merengue, salsa, boleros, son, flamenco, bomba, plena, etc. and lots of classical and instrumental. Friends in school introduced me to old school rock bands and I love them to this day. Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Smiths, Cream, Pink Floyd…still listen to them now. Late 90s albums I still listen to are Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Live, and Dave Matthews Band.

I like some genres more than others, but I enjoy hearing new things at least once. I haven’t been able to stay on top of the new bands as much as I used to, but right now the more recent artists I’m listening to are Arctic Monkeys, The Shins, Cage The Elephant, Imagine Dragons, Florence + The Machine, Weezer and Guster. The Black Keys I still love even though their most recent album I felt was just off and same goes for The Killers. And don’t judge, but I still really love Mumford & Sons even if all their songs sound the same.

Some more random stuff I like: David Grisman Quintet which is bluegrass and acoustic, Michael Hedges’ acoustic guitar is amazing and so is Andy Mckee. And Nina Simone....what. a. voice.

…I’m going to stop now because I could talk music forever ;)

• Love 3

New Kids on the Block!!!!!!! I so loved Joe McIntyre -- not Joey, fuck that. My walls were COVERED in posters and pin-up and centerfolds and everything else. So much baby-sitting money wasted on teeny bopper magazines.

ABBA? Yes! I'm also definitely an '80s girl plus some '90s stuff -- I chose Pearl Jam over Nirvana, thanks. But most of all I'm a U2 fan. LOVE THEM! I met my husband at a U2 concert at Madison Square Garden and for our 10-year anniversary this year we're going to see two U2 shows in NYC. I'm very happy with this decision. :)

And btw, inappropriate songs... it took me more years than I care to admit before I realized Billy Idol's "Dancing with Myself" isn't about dancing.

• Love 1

Have you tried Old Crow Medicine Show?  Best described as "punk rock bluegrass", and incredible live.  I have fallen in love with their latest couple of albums.  Early stuff (Wagon Wheel) and later stuff (Remedy and Carry Me Back albums) are awesome.  Middle stuff without co-founder Critter Fuqua isn't as good.

And btw, inappropriate songs... it took me more years than I care to admit before I realized Billy Idol's "Dancing with Myself" isn't about dancing.

Wait...What? *googles lyrics to song...facepalm* LOL, yup, it really isn't about dancing is it. In my defense, I don't think I've heard this song since the 90s and never really listened to the lyrics.

Some additional googling (I was trying to figure out what movie I'd heard this song in) - The song was played during the opening credits of "Flushed Away", the animated film. Heehee, and now it all has new meaning...

• Love 1
Same here....from the South, can't stand country despite a stint in Texas! Just not my thing.

Ditto. I actually live in Texas and I loathe country music. I can't handle the nasal twangy singing style. I remember when Garth Brooks guest starred on the briefly revived version of The Muppet Show back in the 90s, and the running gag was that he was trying to be anything but country but the Muppets kept throwing in "country" stuff that they assumed he wanted. He was singing all different kinds of music, and I was surprised to find out that he really had a gorgeous voice when he wasn't being "country." Then he finally gave in and was a country singer for them and went back to that twangy nasal stuff, and ugh. What a waste (though I guess it made him very, very rich).

My workout of choice is ballet class, so I guess I get pumped by classical piano music.

"Baby Got Back", I mean it's sort of a "classic" because who doesn't know it, but yeah...everytime I hear it, I think of the scene in Friends where Ross and Rachel are singing it to their daughter to make her laugh.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 1

Sooo, I just bought a BrickHook to hang out with my Jack on the Black Pearl Lego set. Do I have a Hook obsession, a pirate obsession or a Lego obsession or all three? I think I can pull together a brick Emma with existing Legos.

• Love 2

I can probably relax about that tax form ticky box about health insurance, since I got a notice that my insurance company needs my SSN to send their report to the government. If my insurance company is informing them that I'm covered and there's a deduction for insurance on my form, they should be able to figure it out. Then again, this is the government we're talking about. Still, I would hope that they'd cross reference before assessing a fine if that box isn't checked.

I have a problem with that song "Love me like you do" and its association with that train wreck 50 Shades.  I enjoyed that song, has a good beat, lyrics are okayish, then I saw the clip while I was at the gym.

Talk Dirty to Me?  Disgusting!

• Love 1

Since I spent a year in Manchester, England, in the early '90s, I also love the Brit bands of that era -- James (my all-time-fave band), Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, Charlatans, Mock Turtles.

I was heavy into Brit rock in the late 90s: Oasis, Blur, Travis, Stereophonics, Starsailor, Coldplay, The Charlatans. Luckily I got to see all of them at small concert venues, since I was in the US, and they weren't as popular over here. I'm still a huge Stereophonics fan, and I'll be seeing Noel Gallagher at two shows next month, and U2 in June in Chicago! I also love 60s and 80s music, and would probably say The Beatles are my all time fav band.

Edited by pezgirl7

It looks like I'm coming late to the conversation about music and this is going to age me to the point of being decrepit, but I loved the music of the 60's and 70's growing up, especially progressive rock: the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who, and especially Genesis (but before Peter Gabriel left the band.)  But, sorry OnceUponAJen I absolutely hated disco and still hate it to this day.  I refused to watch Saturday Night Fever and basically had to turn the radio off for several years until the '80s brought some fun pop music.  I enjoy some Rap and Hip Hop although the misogyny sometimes makes it difficult to enjoy - speaking of rap and hip hop - I love Weird Al's parody of Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise called Amish Paradise - hilarious!  I also love classical music, anything with prominent violin parts especially Tchaikovsky and Mozart.  And YaddaYadda - I have to force myself to work out also, but listening to music helps, or sometimes I prop up my iPad in front of me and watch a tennis game - I find watching the players running and trying to get the ball helps motivate me to keep going.  

ETA:  I forgot to mention I really loved ELO and got to see them in concert in the 70's - promoting their Out Of The Blue album - they actually landed a big starship on stage!

Edited by Worsel
  • Love 1
t, but I loved the music of the 60's and 70's growing up, especially progressive rock: the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who, and especially Genesis (but before Peter Gabriel left the band.)

Funny thing is, my father is a big fan of this stuff, but I didn't really care about it growing up... but now I LOVE Pink Floyd (and other bands you've mentioned to a lesser extent). I mean, Wish You Were Here is probably my favorite song ever.

Also, they haven't been mentioned, I think, but I'm a huge fan of Queen.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Furry Fury I love most of Pink Floyd's songs, but I found myself really captivated by their last two albums A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell - fantastic songs on both of them.  I'm not as fond of their most recent album which was really a compilation of previously unreleased instrumental music left over from The Division Bell and am sad that there is no more after this, but oh well I guess all good things come to an end.  Isn't it interesting that no matter how old their music is, it still stands the test of time, remains relevant without "aging" at all.

Also, they haven't been mentioned, I think, but I'm a huge fan of Queen.

Yes, absolutely I am also a big fan.  So talented, it was a shame that Freddie Mercury died so young, just think of all the great music he could have created over the years.

I think I love songs more than I love bands or artists.  There hasn't been a time when I haven't cried listening to Tears in Heaven for instance.   But don't ask me what else what's his name sings because I would not know.

Speaking of gym, I was sweating it out and this man was talking to a personal trainer and he was telling him how he registered because he's 87, is active, but thinks he could push himself further.  Meanwhile, here I am lowering the speed on the treadmill because I'm thinking about the 5 flights of stairs I have to climb to get to my apartment and to my couch.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 1

Eric Clapton wrote Tears in Heaven, it is a nice song - my favorite song by him is probably Layla (when he was in Derek and the Dominos).  I remember my older sister pestering our mom for the $4 (and it was like "wow" that was so expensive) to buy the album.  

A friend of mine has Sirius satellite radio, and she's always playing the New Wave station, so I enjoy the heck out of it when I'm visiting her. It's right up my alley -- the Cure, Depeche Mode, U2, REM, The Smiths, The Police, New Order, Pretenders, The Clash, Morrissey.

• Love 1

It looks like I'm coming late to the conversation about music and this is going to age me to the point of being decrepit, but I loved the music of the 60's and 70's growing up, especially progressive rock: the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who,

Sooooo good! My dad raised me on music like that! Its some of my perfect work out music!

• Love 1

I love Queen. And Pat Benatar and Meat Loaf -- almost operatic sounding and fun to sing along with.

I don't like all of disco. I enjoyed a lot of it as a child and have rediscovered some of it as an adult. I've recently rediscovered the Bee Gees. One of their songs was on the radio when my clock radio went off (I have it on the oldies station), and I found myself lying there and listening to it, really impressed with their harmonies and the surprising depth to the lyrics.

Another surprising rediscovery: The Captain and Tennille. I'm not as crazy about their bigger hits, but some of their lesser-known pieces are really, really good music. They have a borderline gospel/blues/jazz feel to them, and she has an amazing voice (fun trivia note: she sang backup on The Wall -- it's even there in the credits on the album).

I've ended up buying a number of CDs because of my clock radio and the oldies station, hearing something again for the first time in decades and going "Wow, that was actually really good stuff." What's funny is that I've hooked a few friends my age on this stuff too when they hear it in my car and end up buying the album for themselves.

love the music discussion (my biggest love of the modern times being OneRepublic, but who doesn't love the classics- be they oldies, rock, etc.?), but I'm having a serious fan girl moment and Ive got to let it out or I just might explode.

Is anyone else watching Netflix's Daredevil?! Because I just finished ep 11, and it ended so perfectly, and holy shit, and IT'S ABOUT TIME THAT HAPPENED!! This show is such a breath of fresh air after having to struggle through OUAT's hot mess going on in this half season (much as it pains me to say).

Edited by Lieutenant

Another surprising rediscovery: The Captain and Tennille. I'm not as crazy about their bigger hits, but some of their lesser-known pieces are really, really good music. They have a borderline gospel/blues/jazz feel to them, and she has an amazing voice (fun trivia note: she sang backup on The Wall -- it's even there in the credits on the album).

When you brought this up, it reminded me of The Carpenters...another male/female duo. And you can't beat her voice. Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 1
Is anyone else watching Netflix's Daredevil?! Because I just finished ep 11, and it ended so perfectly, and holy shit, and IT'S ABOUT TIME THAT HAPPENED!! This show is such a breath of fresh air after having to struggle through OUAT's hot mess going on in this half season (much as it pains me to say).

It's a good show, but somewhat overrated, imho. It has the potential for greatness, but it needs to blend drama and comic book superhero stuff better. Plus, way too much men in proportion to women on screen. I'm also not a huge fan of Fisk, he feels trasplanted from a prestige cable drama, and I can't stand prestige cable dramas.

Edited by FurryFury

Yes I also love Fleetwood Mac and the Carpenters.  Karen Carpenter's voice was so beautiful - a shame she (like Freddie Mercury) died too young.  Also - does anyone else love Harry Nilsson?  My favorite album is Son of Schmilsson, and love his beautiful Remember (Christmas) most of all.

I finished watching it yesterday.  I'm really enjoying some of the stuff Netflix is putting out.  It's happened often that I wished Once was either on Netflix or on the CW or something like that where they might be able to push the envelope a bit.  I know the writers generally suck, but I also feel like they have their hands tied on a lot of things because they're on ABC and because their show has been called a family show.  Of course, it doesn't help where you have Elsa around town and what's his face having a discussion with a reindeer.

Daredevil has been renewed for a second season.  Also, the guy who plays Foggy, I was trying to place him during the first episode and then I realized he was on the Mighty Ducks, the guy who couldn't skate but had a super hard shot.  It really took me back.

Netflix wouldn't pick up a show like Once, it doesn't fit their current style, I think. Although I hope they'll widen their selection, genre-wise, the Marvel deal is a good sign - hopefully, they'll see how many views DD has brought and will decide to branch out. Personally, their current shows just don't appeal to me at all. Emmy-bait drama stuff and some quirky Emmy-bait comedy stuff...And some continuations of shows I didn't watch (I've tried to get into Arrested Development multiple times but it's just not my thing at all).

The CW probably would be a better fit, were their deal with ABC and not CBS, but they skew younger that Once, I think. And really, not many of their shows are "risky". Although I do think there's a bit less executive control there than on ABC or other big networks.

Edited by FurryFury

I was heavy into Brit rock in the late 90s: Oasis, Blur, Travis, Stereophonics, Starsailor, Coldplay, The Charlatans. Luckily I got to see all of them at small concert venues, since I was in the US, and they weren't as popular over here. I'm still a huge Stereophonics fan, and I'll be seeing Noel Gallagher at two shows next month, and U2 in June in Chicago! I also love 60s and 80s music, and would probably say The Beatles are my all time fav band.

Holy crap, I know these bands! I met Starsailor a few times and saw them in concert three or four times in New York. Also got into Coldplay early -- saw them at Irving Plaza in NYC right after Parachutes came out. The venue only holds 1000 people and I was about five feet from Chris Martin standing on a stack of amps while singing. Of course, a few years later I saw them at Madison Square Garden. Quite the jump. And U2! Woohoo!

And yes, Queen too. I don't let my kids listen to kids music in the car -- no Barney or whatever other crap there is. So my five-year-old makes me listen to Queen and The Clash and the new U2 album. I may be messing him up in other ways but not in music.

• Love 1

Holy crap, I know these bands! I met Starsailor a few times and saw them in concert three or four times in New York. Also got into Coldplay early -- saw them at Irving Plaza in NYC right after Parachutes came out. The venue only holds 1000 people and I was about five feet from Chris Martin standing on a stack of amps while singing. Of course, a few years later I saw them at Madison Square Garden. Quite the jump. And U2! Woohoo!

Most people don't know Starsailor, so that's cool you do! I think I saw them about 4 times. I remember when James, the lead singer played a few songs at a bookstore in Chicago, and there were only a few of us there. Crazy. I saw and met Coldplay at a small venue too, on their Parachutes tour. That was the only time, since they exploded after that. Oh, I forgot to add Keane and Snow Patrol to my list, although that was a little later. Man, this is really making me sad. I used to go to so many concerts, meet the bands, sometimes hang out in a bar afterwards. It was so much fun! Now I only go to a few concerts a year. Ah, to be young again.

• Love 1

Same here. I lived in NYC and saw bands all the time! And now I'm a mom in the suburbs. My husband keeps harping about the area we live in and how it doesn't have the same culture as NYC. And then I have to keep reminding him that we live near a major city with lots of culture. Culture hasn't changed, we just got older and prefer to stay in on weekends so we don't have to deal with hangovers.

• Love 3