Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Fresh Meat

I'm choosing to believe the cucumber line from the preview was edited down, as in he didn't know if a cucumber was a fruit or a vegetable and not that he was unfamiliar with a cucumber as a food. I am willing to believe that a lot of people don't know cucumbers, tomatoes and green beans aren't technically vegetables and are really fruits and given the smarts this crew has shown so far, it's not much of a stretch Tyler's game will stump all of them. 

Did anyone else notice more than a few of them referred to themselves as "wacky" in their little interviews? That was a huge red flag to me. Who describes themselves like that? Crazy, wild, fun? Sure, okay, those I've heard. But I've never heard anyone in my life describe themselves as wacky. Was that the tag line in the Craigs List ad for the cattle call? 

• Love 5

I saw a commercial last night where Tyler is giving this little quiz and asks which of these 3 vegetables is actually a fruit (and named 3 things), one of the male contestants stares with a blank stare and goes "I have no idea what a cucumber is" with this what the hell is that? look.  If I never thought this show was fake already that surely did it.  No way do I believe there is any adult who doesnt what a cucumber is.

I think he was most likely saying, "I don't know what a cucumber is, if it's a fruit or a vegetable".

What about the woman who couldn't find goose fat, so she thought gummy bears were a good substitution? She can't be for real. What the he'll kind of recipe does non-cook have that requires GOOSE FAT?

• Love 3

What about the woman who couldn't find goose fat, so she thought gummy bears were a good substitution? She can't be for real. What the he'll kind of recipe does non-cook have that requires GOOSE FAT?

That one got me, too.  First, what kind of "worst cook" would have a recipe that uses goose fat?  And then to somehow think that something that is pure sugar is a good replacement for something that is fat?  Crazy.

That one got me, too. First, what kind of "worst cook" would have a recipe that uses goose fat? And then to somehow think that something that is pure sugar is a good replacement for something that is fat? Crazy.

Replacing sugar for fat is the entire concept behind the low-fat movement. :-)

• Love 5

What about the woman who mixed brown sugar with vanilla and thought that she made chocolate?

I was just going to mention that.

But, wow! Goose fat = Gummy bears? On what planet? Frankly, I was amazed that she acted like goose fat was a regular ingredient in her food.

In this day and age why would anyone have a sixth finger???

No health insurance?

Edited by Nidratime

I barely could sit through this episode. It was so obvious that this was bs and these are actors trying to make it in show businesss, or get their own weird reality show or cooking spot.   It wasn't just exaggerated, it was ridiculously embarrasing to think that FN can put this on has "reality tv", and think we are too stupid to see that this is nothing but a bad scripted reality show.

• Love 3

In this day and age why would anyone have a sixth finger???

THANK YOU!!!  I'm a nurse and I have 4 kids, so I'm not easily squicked out, but come on!  There's no reason that wasn't taken care of at birth.  I told my husband that no matter how hot, smart or rich a guy is, an extra finger waving around helplessly is a deal breaker.

No health insurance?

Extra digits aren't terribly uncommon and are usually removed by 6 months of age.  It's such an easy procedure that even if his parents didn't have insurance when he was born, any OB I've ever worked with would've removed it for free.

• Love 3

We have friends whose son was born with 2 thumbs on one hand. The surgeon wanted to wait until he was over 1 year old to remove it. It required reconstructive surgery that took awhile, and the poor kid was in a cast for a month.

I imagine there is a big difference in how they handle an extra digit that's mostly a fleshy piece versus one that's got regular bones, nerves, etc. And I imagine the former are more common than the latter.

It looked like the contestant had a more real half-finger, if that makes sense. It was a bit squicky, but I might have felt differently had he not been so OTT otherwise.

I cannot stand how fake this show is, with contestants straight out of Central Casting, so I generally just tune in for the final episode to see the food, but I saw this season premiere and had seen last season's, too.  In the last one, a contestant called Anne "Boo" and in this one someone called her "Hon."  Both times, she shut that crap down immediately.  I loved it.

I also liked in this one when she picked a blonde woman whose name I can't remember, saying, "I don't like her cheerleader, princess personality, but ..."  We agree on that, too, Anne.

See y'all after the finale.

• Love 4

We have friends whose son was born with 2 thumbs on one hand. The surgeon wanted to wait until he was over 1 year old to remove it. It required reconstructive surgery that took awhile, and the poor kid was in a cast for a month.

Two thumbs are much more complicated that an extra baby finger.  If you look at his hand, not that much would be involved taking it off.  It is very separated from the mo-gumbo that is the hand.  

This show is so staged and such a joke I only watch it because there is a gun to my head.  The edict is that I have to watch all cooking competitions.  I do not know who started this or who I shoot to make this go away so until that is solved I am here.  

I also liked in this one when she picked a blonde woman whose name I can't remember, saying, "I don't like her cheerleader, princess personality, but ..."  We agree on that, too, Anne.

Yeah, and was I the only one who thought the blonde was a clone of the cheerleader on the "Next food Network Star"  show?  

• Love 3

I think that guy calling Anne "hun" was totally scripted. It was like he knew how she was supposed to react by following it up with "not feeling it?" I think she actually ended up picking him for her team. Oh-kay...

Aside from "Teddyloaf," the next most annoying character is the ditzy blonde lush who won on Tyler's team. I think I'll start calling her "Blush." Seriously, she is an art teacher? Where? At the same place where Kanye West was a guest lecturer on "fashion design?" SMH.

• Love 2

Isn't she the one who made matzo ball soup? I think she was wanting the fat for the matzo balls. Not knowing how to make it myself I'm not sure if her use of it would have been common or idiosyncratic.

Isn't she the one who made matzo ball soup? I think she was wanting the fat for the matzo balls. Not knowing how to make it myself I'm not sure if her use of it would have been common or idiosyncratic.

I never noticed it being in a matzo ball recipe but that doesn't mean that it isn't or could be a family thing.

I'm choosing to believe the cucumber line from the preview was edited down, as in he didn't know if a cucumber was a fruit or a vegetable and not that he was unfamiliar with a cucumber as a food. I am willing to believe that a lot of people don't know cucumbers, tomatoes and green beans aren't technically vegetables and are really fruits and given the smarts this crew has shown so far, it's not much of a stretch Tyler's game will stump all of them. 

They have been airing now a longer version of the commercial which is actually a preview of the next show and its even worse.   One guy says "I havent even eaten a real vegetable since the 70's (really? You havent eaten a single vegetable in 40 years?) and the one with the line about the cucumber cuts to his talking head after Tyler asks the question (broccoli and brussel sprouts were the other options) and he says "I guessed cucumber - I took a wild guess since I dont even know what a cucumber is". Just ridiculous.

I think they should change the name to "Worst Actors Pretending They Can't Cook"  This show has always had wannabe actors on it, and has always had an strong air of fakeness to it, but it was like professional wrestling - if you close one eye and don't concentrate too hard, you could let yourself believe that everything was real.  This year is ridiculous - the fakeness is so obvious, it cannot be ignored, even if you close both eyes and turn the volume way, way down.

I wasn't paying a lot of attention during the critiques, so I don't know what comments each received, but I knew which one was going home from each bottom two - the least wacky person goes home (at least at the beginning of the season).  

• Love 4

I enjoyed earlier seasons, and recorded this episode (it's on the same time as Downton Abbey - no contest on which to watch live), and after reading the comments here, I'm not sure I'm going to watch it, or record any future episodes. It's a shame when FN takes an interesting concept and then ramps up the drama and fakeness to the point it's no longer even mildly entertaining. Same thing has happened for me with Food Network Star. I watched every season faithfully until Cowboy Lenny's win, because, after reading comments on this site, I decided life was too short, and just deleted all the recorded episodes without watching any of them.

• Love 2

I think the reason this show feels so fake is that people nominate themselves to be on it. Just the fact that they show up at the auditions with their "worst" dish all ready for judging pretty much screams "reality show contestant"

• Love 1

We turned it off halfway through and deleted the season pass from TiVo. I came here to see if others had the same impression. Jumped the shark doesn't begin to describe this.

It was particularly jarring as we had just watched an episode of "The Great British Bake Off," the contrast was incredible.

The premise, as it has been for several seasons, had bad cooks with quirky personalities learning to cook. Even if some were cast more for their personalities than cooking issues, the basic show was straightforward. Now it's just goofy stereotypes wandering around being implausibly stupid.

My only remaining curiosity is what will happen to the ratings.

• Love 2

They do cast some genuine people who cannot cook but want to learn.  During the casting they choose some who will make it far and a bunch of "characters" who will make "good" TV.   By 'they' I don't mean Ann and Bobby or Tyler.  They stage that for the first episode but there is a team who can sort out the genuine from those who want face time.  They give us a mix of both. 

The woman with the long nails who won last year (Bobby's team) was the real deal.  She kind of had an idea and cooked for her kids.  Her kids nominated her because she just wasn't quite there!  Well, not there by a long shot.  I liked her, a lot.

We have a couple of contenders this year too.  I don't have the names down but a pretty blonde on Ann's team and a large black man who may be on her team, too.  Can't remember.  The chubby black woman on Bobby's team may have something good going on.  She is very adorable.  

• Love 1

and a large black man who may be on her team, too.  Can't remember.

Norman.

Lord help me for actually giving this show the benefit of the doubt (Still? Really? REALLY?!?) But, two episodes in, I'd put money on Norman being the eventual winner. And for all the right reasons.

• Love 3

Norman.

Lord help me for actually giving this show the benefit of the doubt (Still? Really? REALLY?!?) But, two episodes in, I'd put money on Norman being the eventual winner. And for all the right reasons.

Yes, me too.  Whose team is he on?  

I think he was most likely saying, "I don't know what a cucumber is, if it's a fruit or a vegetable".

It's a little bit idiosyncratic. Matzo balls are typically made with schmaltz (rendered chicken fat). I imagine you could make them with duck or goose fat which would probably be more readily available in a professional-ish kitchen. But if you didn't have access to any of those you would probably substitute a mix of vegetable oil and butter.

Norman is on Anne's team.  I like the chubby black lady on Tyler's team, too.  I think she and Norman are my favorites so far.

They're my favorites also and I hope Norman wins.  The black woman with the impossible name worries me every time I notice the roll of fat around her neck.  If she doesn't have high blood pressure and diabetes, she will.  And she'll be dead before she's 40 if she doesn't get rid of that fat. 

I also like (gasp!) David.  I don't know why.  He won't win but he amuses me.

The two blondes can go any time.  I don't know who's more annoying, the ditzy sister of a chef or the one who reminds me way too much of Sarah who was on FNS. 

It's a little bit idiosyncratic. Matzo balls are typically made with schmaltz (rendered chicken fat). I imagine you could make them with duck or goose fat which would probably be more readily available in a professional-ish kitchen. But if you didn't have access to any of those you would probably substitute a mix of vegetable oil and butter.

For what it's worth, schmaltz is actually traditionally goose fat but chickens were more readily available in the US when Jews first came here.

• Love 1

Well, this was enlightening.  I actually thought Six's extra finger was part of his magician shtick.  I even played with my hands, trying to figure out how he did the illusion.   

Ditto to everything said about the exaggerated and phony personalities.  I would just like to include Chef Anne in that group.  

• Love 1