Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: The Grimm Who Stole Christmas

Did love how the story from 1215 was written in modern English.

It wasn't. They found it in Greek. Then I forget if it were Nick or Monroe but one of them asked if there were a translation and they went through a bunch of pages, Russian, French, German, and then found an entry in English, but they were basically just copies of the same basic info. I got the impression that happens a lot in the books in trailer. Multiple pages lumped together on the same creature, written by different Grimms in different languages.

• Love 1

...Did love how the story from 1215 was written in modern English.   Guess it had been updated....

Sounds like the equivalent of finding the New Living Translation of the Bible with the King James nowhere in sight even though they also had original Aramaic, Greek, and Latin. Given that it's not a very big trailer, I can see why they wouldn't keep anything unnecessary for future reference, so the New Living Translation of Grimm must have been translated from the original language.

Surprised I was actually kind of sad to see Truble leave, her character has grown on me. Can we send Juliette away instead?

Sweet lord if Juliette is pregnant, I don't know if I can handie her having more screen time. And they better no be teasing us I hope they finally tell Wu everything!

At least we know of a good use for fruitcake now.

• Love 1

What a wonderful episode! It was a total s1 style episode.  I got teary when Trubel left and took Aunt Marie's jeep. 

That was just so delightful! I don't think we can have as many light hearted episodes, but if we get this kind of vibe maybe the darker ones will have a similar s1 vibe.

It's so cool seeing Monroe have someone to share Christmas with.  The first time we saw him have Christmas he seemed so lonely.

Can't get over how over-decorated these people have their homes.  It's beautiful, but not very realistic (to me).

Juliette actually seems like she has natural facial expressions and doesn't speak in a monotone when she's with Josh.

• Love 1

Surprisingly excellent episode. Wikipedia tells me it was written by Dan E. Fesman. More please.

"Fesman has also been producer and writer on several recent series, including Grimm, LAX, Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me. He has written for Special Unit 2, Cover Me: Based on the True Life of an FBI Family, Now and Again, The King of Queens, Zero Stress and NCIS.[2]"

"I wouldn't want my mother to kill your mother..."

"I wouldn't want my mother to kill your mother!"

I loved the reading they both gave these (which I'm certain have never been uttered on tv before), not with dread or alarm but more like dodging an awkward social event.  Ditto the Hank and Nick's confused (and not a little disgusted) reaction to finding the rampaging troll-children.  This show has a reality that they really have fun with.

And Nick?  When you explain to Wu about Wesen, make sure you include the part where you and Hank thought it'd keep while Wu literally went to the nuthouse. 

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1

Like everyone else, I thought Josh as going to betray them when they showed him the trailer. When it was clear he wasn't, I hoped he'd stay and be given the job of digitizing the book collection and cataloging the weapons and potions.

• Love 1

Honestly it never occurred to me that Josh was going to betray them!  I just thought he was supposed to be kind of a stupid character.  I lost count of how many times he asked Theresa (and anyone else who might be listening) if they thought he might ever become a Grimm.

It annoyed me because I'm figuring that since his Grimm dad has been dead for a while now and Josh hasn't turned into a Grimm himself by now, it probably isn't going to happen.  Although seriously there don't seem to be any rules in place for it, since Nick didn't turn into a Grimm until his aunt died yet his mother is still alive and fully Grimmed so that doesn't really even make any sense.

I actually liked that they brought Josh back because I think it's nice when they weave what could have been a one-off character into the fabric of a show, even if it's not as a regular.  They weren't just a cheap plot device used for one episode and then dumped and never mentioned again.

That said, I don't understand what they were going for with Josh in this episode.  He just seemed so stupid.  I hope he's not going to turn out to try to hurt Theresa, although I think she can hold her own.  I would be disappointed if he turned out to be a villain.

• Love 1

And Nick?  When you explain to Wu about Wesen, make sure you include the part where you and Hank thought it'd keep while Wu literally went to the nuthouse. 

Didn't Hank want to tell Wu?  I thought that he had wanted to tell him, Monroe thought the Wessen in question was not a "gateway Wessen," and Nick sided with Monroe.

• Love 1
Although seriously there don't seem to be any rules in place for it, since Nick didn't turn into a Grimm until his aunt died yet his mother is still alive and fully Grimmed so that doesn't really even make any sense.

If his aunt had no children this tidbit wasn't so nonsensical to me. That said, agreed Josh's father has been dead too long for it to make sense for him to get Grimmicated if he hasn't already.

• Love 1

If his aunt had no children this tidbit wasn't so nonsensical to me. That said, agreed Josh's father has been dead too long for it to make sense for him to get Grimmicated if he hasn't already.

Maybe via literary logic but not otherwise.  "Grimmness" isn't some mystical "in every generation there is a Slayer" gift.  It's a genetic trait which may or may activate depending on as yet unknown provocation.  Presumably Josh could be 87 years old and suddenly Grimm out.

• Love 4

That said, I don't understand what they were going for with Josh in this episode.  He just seemed so stupid.  I hope he's not going to turn out to try to hurt Theresa, although I think she can hold her own.  I would be disappointed if he turned out to be a villain.

They might have been going for ambiguity.  I sure felt something was a little off but it didn't pan out that way, yet.  I would not be surprised if he has some mixed motives in going back to Philadelphia. 

Maybe via literary logic but not otherwise.  "Grimmness" isn't some mystical "in every generation there is a Slayer" gift.  It's a genetic trait which may or may activate depending on as yet unknown provocation.  Presumably Josh could be 87 years old and suddenly Grimm out.

Well, there's some kind of mystic aspect to it or at least it was strongly implied, I thought, in the pilot.  Then they tried to give it a more physical basis by saying it was due to rods and cones in the eyes.  If Josh had those extra rods and cones I'm not sure what would be keeping them from working.  Or why Nick's didn't work until his aunt was dying.

Edited by Blue Plastic
  • Love 2

Juliette actually seems like she has natural facial expressions and doesn't speak in a monotone when she's with Josh.

I noticed that too.   I thought she looked very pretty in that scene.   Usually I am falling asleep while she is talking to notice her.   Could be they are trying for the supportive, grounded girlfriend so hard when she is around Nick it comes across as deadly dull.   Of course, DG also looks a lot better when playing off others.   It could be that sadly the designated couple actually have anti-chemistry which sucks any spark out any of any scene they are in together.

• Love 2

Anybody else feel a Trubel/Josh spinoff in the works?

I'm wondering this myself. It definitely felt like a backdoor pilot, especially with the bequething of Aunt Marie's car. I like a Truble a lot, so I would definitely watch.

I'm in. Josh actually made me like Trubel this week and made Juliette palatable. 

I'm wondering this myself. It definitely felt like a backdoor pilot, especially with the bequething of Aunt Marie's car. I like a Truble a lot, so I would definitely watch.

I'm in. Josh actually made me like Trubel this week and made Juliette palatable. 

I would love a spinoff but I would have to say, please drop the "Trubel" and just go with Therese. 

• Love 3
If Josh had those extra rods and cones I'm not sure what would be keeping them from working.  Or why Nick's didn't work until his aunt was dying.

I don't think it had anything to do with his aunt dying. He was around 30 when his powers started activating, and Kelly said something about it hitting men later. Women's powers started kicking in when they were in their teens, but men may be late bloomers. I'm not sure how old Josh is supposed to be, but it's possible that he's on the brink of his powers awakening. The issue with Aunt Marie dying was that she died just as his powers kicked in, before she had a chance to teach him anything or counsel him. She barely had a chance to tell him what it meant.

• Love 3

I don't think it had anything to do with his aunt dying. He was around 30 when his powers started activating, and Kelly said something about it hitting men later. Women's powers started kicking in when they were in their teens, but men may be late bloomers. I'm not sure how old Josh is supposed to be, but it's possible that he's on the brink of his powers awakening. The issue with Aunt Marie dying was that she died just as his powers kicked in, before she had a chance to teach him anything or counsel him. She barely had a chance to tell him what it meant.

If there is a spinoff could we possibly have Theresa teaching Josh, and Nick teaching Theresa through Skype (and of course Rosalee and Monroe will be teaching Nick of all of the Wesen dealings at the same time)?

• Love 1

Honestly it never occurred to me that Josh was going to betray them!  I just thought he was supposed to be kind of a stupid character. 

I actually liked that they brought Josh back because I think it's nice when they weave what could have been a one-off character into the fabric of a show, even if it's not as a regular.  They weren't just a cheap plot device used for one episode and then dumped and never mentioned again.

I never thought Josh would betray them. He's confused by his feelings over his dad.He spent years thinking his father was loony, only to discover he was anything but.... and was still reeling from the consequences.

Nod on his return......

• Love 1

RE: how Rosalee got over her aversion to Xmas, I htink she talke dwith Monroe about it, and realized it came from bad childhood memories. After that, i think Monroe basically wore her down by replacing hte bad memories with good ones. Also, there was some Rosalee family dinner where she realized she was an adult and not a child and didn't ahve to stay stuck in her family's BS, I think?

I wouldn't mind a spin-off, but how would they distinguish the Teresa version from the Nick version? Would it just be like "Grimm-- Philadelphia" the way NCIS has NCIS-LA, and CSI went around the country, as well? Grimm twice a week might appeal to me, but unless they find some better writers, I'd worry it would be just another lukewarm repeat of all the stuff they're already lukewarmly repeating on Grimm-Portland Original Recipe. Maybe the East Coast version would have fewer police, since Teresa isn't a cop. What did Josh do for a living? Or maybe it would be more of a family drama than a workplace procedural: Teresa and Josh raising little mini-Grimm and reforming wesen bullies their offspring encounter on the playground? I don't really mean this, of course, I'm just trying to think of how they could pitch a spin-off as something other than a carbon copy.

Juliette's expression was a "shit, I'm pregnant" expression if I ever saw one.

Pretty much mirrored my own expression - it's bad enough we have Adalind and her horrific baby-centered story line, how we have to deal with Juliette and a potential "is it human, Grimm, hexinbeast,, or some weird hybrid" pregnancy story.  Why do writers inevitably give women a pregnancy story line?

No, just no.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm also not too enthusiastic about a Juliette pregnancy. I don't dislike Bitsie to the same degree a lot of people do, but as has been said--we just had a baby storyline. It will be boring, and I do not need to see Nick struggling with how to be a Grimm and a father at the same time. I think it will suck the fun out of the show.

Otherwise, though, this was a good episode. I even found myself thinking I'd miss Trubel, even though she hasn't been my favorite.

• Love 1

How much time has passed since the re-Grimming sex? Doesn't seem possible Juliet would know she's pregnant (or get a positive test result) if it's only been a week or two. Of course, my youngest is a teenager, so I may have missed a few technological advances in the interim.

Josh was acting squirrelly, but I wonder if he might have been trying to figure out a way to make himself Grimm out for his own protection. Now that he has Theresa, he can relax a bit.

I loved this episode - what a fun ride!

• Love 1

I didn't think Josh was acting squirrely.  As noted upthread, he thought his father was crazy most his life then he found out he wasn't - that there is a lot to process.  Then while this is still reeling around in his head his father dies.  Although he knew his father was on his way out, this is still very hard, of course, and he's grieving.  Then he comes home to be attacked by wesen and barely escapes with his life.  He makes it to Portland and Nick's house and can finally catch a breath but not really.  So he's dealing with facing that the world is not as how he believed it for 30-ish years (not sure how old he's supposed to be), grieving for his father and being hunted by wesen.  And I do think he wondered if he'd become a Grimm and whether he wanted that or not.  That's a whole lot going on.  Given all this I thought he was just overwhelmed and exhausted. 

• Love 3

I loved this episode and will miss Trubel. I want Juliette to be pregnant so she and Nick can be a family.

For me, I guess its not so much of the possibility of a baby, but the possibility of their being yet another baby storyline  that involves emo. With the Adaline/Renard baby storyline still going I guess I am hoping that this is one (if Juliette is pregnant) would be less full of emo of "oh crap I was under a magical spell that made me look like Adaline so my baby (that is in my womb) is going to be Adaline (by the power of magic) and not mine. "

As is with babies, I really want a Rosalee/Monroe to have a kid and you know what, Josh and Theresa aren't a bad couple (if they start to develop feelings for each other later on). 

Edited by TVSpectator

If they have Juliette pregnant, I might stop watching.  Not sure just yet. 

Anyway, one of the things I liked best about the first season was the lack of angst, and now there's a ton of it floating around. 

Plus, if Nick and Juliette have a kid right now, I'm sure that Adalind and the royals will attempt to kidnap the baby so they can do a 'hostage exchange'.  "You give us Adalind's baby, and then we'll give you yours", while thinking "No way am I giving up a Grimm's baby.  I'm going to raise it myself so I can stop trying to find a Grimm that will do what I want without questioning me all the time or trying to get in my way."

• Love 2

Exactly. This isn't some happy, feel-good holiday special on Hallmark Channel, this is Grimm. Juliette was "technically" Adalind when she thinks she got pregnant. Plus, Nick is a Grimm, etc. So, it's not like they will find out they're pregnant, look into each other's eyes, and get a dreamy expression. 

This will be a nonstop emo angstfest from beginning to end, from Juliette wondering about the whole Adalind thing, to them worried about what it might be, etc. 

If they have Juliette pregnant, I might stop watching.  Not sure just yet. 

Anyway, one of the things I liked best about the first season was the lack of angst, and now there's a ton of it floating around. 

Plus, if Nick and Juliette have a kid right now, I'm sure that Adalind and the royals will attempt to kidnap the baby so they can do a 'hostage exchange'.  "You give us Adalind's baby, and then we'll give you yours", while thinking "No way am I giving up a Grimm's baby.  I'm going to raise it myself so I can stop trying to find a Grimm that will do what I want without questioning me all the time or trying to get in my way."

Yeah, it's really the angst that is surrounding this possible pregnancy storyline its one thing to get worked up over having a baby with a Grimm (and yeah, as a cop and a Grimm Nick's changes of being in danger does increase but if you have a kid, its is possible that the kid wouldn't be a Grimm (like what Josh is currently a child of a Grimm that isn't fully Grimm out) and also she did kind of accept the risk of staying in a relationship with a Grimm, and fully knowing about it as well). 

I think that there is another possibility, is  that if Juliette did become Adaline (through the power of magic and it wasn't just some kind of vile/mask) then maybe she thinks that Adaline is pregnant with Nick's kids (which would be a very unwelcome idea). 

Am I the only one that thinks that the Trailer is a bit like a Tardis? It looks so much roomier on the inside than the outside.

There must be a long extension cord for the lights, too.

I'll miss Truble.

I already do. She added a lot to the show.

• Love 1

Juliette/BT had more chemistry with Josh than with Nick or almost anyone else.  Not romantic chemistry, just chemistry.  I liked their scenes, and I'm usually bored by her scenes.

Josh and Juliette seemed so comfortable and compatible in their scene together it was a bit disconcerting. They really had nice chem much like CC and DG did in their scenes last week. So weird.

Yes! It was strange how much Juliette seemed to light up when she talked to Josh. She seemed uncomfortably attracted to him and even wore a low-cut blouse with cleavage showing and leaned over when talking to him. I actually watched his face to see if he kept his gaze at her eyes, which he did. Very strange. Was this a foreshadowing of something in the show, or the actress having feelings for the new guy? We'll see, I guess.

Yes! It was strange how much Juliette seemed to light up when she talked to Josh. She seemed uncomfortably attracted to him and even wore a low-cut blouse with cleavage showing and leaned over when talking to him. I actually watched his face to see if he kept his gaze at her eyes, which he did. Very strange. Was this a foreshadowing of something in the show, or the actress having feelings for the new guy? We'll see, I guess.

David G (NIck) and Bitsie T(Juliette) are  a couple in real life. Don't think she's looking for anyone new.

• Love 2

David G (NIck) and Bitsie T(Juliette) are  a couple in real life. Don't think she's looking for anyone new.

Which totally explains the complete lack of chemistry between the two characters (which is odd as I thought they had a wonderful, companionable, long-term relationship vibe going in the first season then Juliette went all Sleeping Beauty and it (the chemistry) has been off ever since).

OMG, the ANGST that would be involved with Juliette mentioning eighty bajillion times how she was Adalind when she got preggers...nine months of that. I just do not think I could handle it. PLEASE let it be that she's either not pregnant, or something goes horribly wrong. Anything that does not involve torturing me for months on end and Juliette becoming even more of a speshul snowflake. With Teresa gone, that will already mean I will have to put up with more Juliette, and I'm not looking forward to it. This will also mean Juliette-centric episodes in which I'll have to fast-forward through the whole thing. 

But we also just had Adalind baby drama, not to mention more baby drama to come, and if Juliette gets pregnant, that will bring more baby drama, and I'm not a person who watches shows that center around parenting and babies. If I wanted that show, I certainly wouldn't be watching Grimm.

Count me in as happy that the little monsters were mischievous and weren't killing people. I was quite pleased about that. They let the creepiness come from the cross-burners, so there needed to be something in the show to make us laugh. Rosalee protecting the trains at all costs was perfect.

The actress who plays Theresa is so good. I also love her character, and I'll miss her. The way she left was natural, but I'm still sad.

Also, in that last scene where Theresa thanks Nick for her life, I looked at David and thought how beautiful he was. Just his features are outstanding. Then I think of how so many people think he's a little too normal guy, and I have to wonder if it's somewhat to downplay just how freaking gorgeous he is. If he was this dynamic charmer, people would be wondering why he's not beating them off with a stick.

"No. We want the whole truck." Heh.

Josh's "Let's hope for the best" was an unintentional zing to Teresa, but I like that she just said, "Whatever that is," and he seemed to get her point without her hitting him over the head or speechifying. I love show, don't tell moments like that.

And, because this can't be said enough, TELL WU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just going to quote your whole post and say I couldn't agree more with every single point you made. 

I've heard that before, but when I looked online all I could find was DG doing a lot of interviews where he refuses to say if he's in a relationship or not, followed with a checklist of what his dream girl was like.  Two seasons ago is was rumored she was dating Sasha R., but I couldn't find any real evidence of that either.

I've heard that before, but when I looked online all I could find was DG doing a lot of interviews where he refuses to say if he's in a relationship or not, followed with a checklist of what his dream girl was like.  Two seasons ago is was rumored she was dating Sasha R., but I couldn't find any real evidence of that either.

In the past couple of months, both actors have been pretty open about it on Social Media.

But, back to the show...I haven't really felt a lack of chemistry between the two, but rather a lack of any interest on the part of the writers to do anything with Juliette's character except when needed (they need a vet and she's there, they need a possible pregnancy and she's there...).  I think if they had invested a tenth of the energy they put into Monroe and Rosalee into Nick and Juliette, their relationship--which should be the main romantic relationship in the show, after all--would be far more believable.

• Love 1

I don't see it the way other posters here do I guess, I think Nick and Juliette have a wonderful, quite chemistry. They are pretty  much my favorite TV couple at the moment. Different strokes for different folks. :)

• Love 7

I don't see it the way other posters here do I guess, I think Nick and Juliette have a wonderful, quite chemistry. They are pretty  much my favorite TV couple at the moment. Different strokes for different folks. :)

I mostly agree.  There have been scenes where I think the two of them have great chemistry, but those are far less common than they should be.  In Season 2, when there was an excellent opportunity to really grow that relationship as Juliet got her memory back, the amount of time the Nick/Juliette relationship was actually present was pretty limited.  First, we had the weird obsession with Renard and Nick off moping about the fact that Juliette couldn't remember him then a bunch of episodes of Juliet trying to figure out her relationship...by going to Monroe and Bud (and Nick still off moping).  However, in all that, there were 2 or 3 really dynamic scenes between the two of them and I think that, if the writers had bothered to really explore Nick and Juliette's relationship together and not Nick's relationship to Juliette and Juliette's relationship to Nick, both characters would be in a far more believable (as much as that is possible in the land of Grimm) place.

But, who knows, maybe with this "might be a pregnancy" thing, the writers may have finally decided to give Nick and Juliette their attention....or maybe we'll just follow Adalind and the Royals as they go on their little baby scavenger hunt.  Sigh.

• Love 1

Perhaps Nick could change his name to Nickeo then arrive at their house clad in doublet and hose declaring "Oh soft, what light through yonder window breaks?  It is the East and Juliette is the sun!"

I think that like a lot of actors, David G and Bitsie T are essentially playing versions of themselves.  That's not really a bad thing.  Jack Nicholson, John Wayne and Will Smith were/are tremdously entertaining.  Then you add in the layer that the actors are in a relationship with each other and so are the characters that they're playing.  So, you have two people who seem nice, calm and laid-back playing characters who are also nice, calm and laid-back.  Since DG and BT are involved there's going to be a human instinct for privacy that cause them to dial things back a little more when they're on-camera.  Bottom line, if you really want some extra chemistry when Grimm is on, go cook some meth while you watch. 

Josh was acting squirrelly, but I wonder if he might have been trying to figure out a way to make himself Grimm out for his own protection. Now that he has Theresa, he can relax a bit.

I got this impression too. He seemed to be thinking that I have people after me and will continue too because they think I have the key from my father. And therefore wants to become a grimm to protect himself. At the same time the weirdness is something that he spend his whole life avoiding. Which makes him a conflicted and therefore interesting character. I think that having Theresa will help and I actually would like him to end up grimming out anyway. This will further cement the idea that being a grimm is genetic and likely to surface.

• Love 1

Oh, I've noticed this from the beginning.  I spend a lot of his screen time thinking "he is such an attractive man", not even  (or at least not always ;-P ) in a lustful way, but just getting taken in with it.  Not that there's a shortage of attractiveness on this show, but something about his features catches my eyes even more - more striking or something.

Not going to lie, I really only started watching this show because I thought David Guintoli was hot as hell. I stayed for the story ;-)

• Love 2