Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I wonder if "Who was the man who killed Garfield?" would have worked as a FJ answer. It's more precise than that autism answer they allowed.

At least the new guy just gives one word when asking for his clues instead of "I'll take War of the Words for one thousand dollars please Alex." That's the only upside to Dan leaving.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

I noticed that Dan did that, but it never bothered me because he didn't draw it out.

Now I'll never know where he lives, only that he is formerly from Jersey. Not in a stalker way, just curious, heh.

• Love 2

I noticed that Dan did that, but it never bothered me because he didn't draw it out.

Now I'll never know where he lives, only that he is formerly from Jersey. Not in a stalker way, just curious, heh.

I never noticed he did that. Probably because I was too busy looking. *whistles innocently*

(And on that note, I'll be doing some heavy editing in this forum and the Person of Interest forum if I ever get on the show and my real name gets linked to this username.)

• Love 3

Well now I am going to pay close attention to every interview and if someone says "well Alex in my free time I enjoy going to the museum and studying abstract art" I will say "A-ha! That is them!"

• Love 2
It would drive Guiteau crazy so many haven't heard of him - he liked his publicity.

I read a book about this over the winter and I still couldn't think of his name, although I recognized the situation. #hopeless

• Love 1

I never noticed he did that. Probably because I was too busy looking. *whistles innocently*

I never noticed Dan did that either. I can't think of anything Dan did or said or wore or any way he acted that bothered me ...

• Love 4

I wonder if "Who was the man who killed Garfield?" would have worked as a FJ answer. It's more precise than that autism answer they allowed.

Who is someone who's never been in my kitchen?

• Love 10

I always thought that if a contestant is referred to as "formerly from..." it means they are a current Los Angeles resident.

The champion against whom I competed was "formerly from Pittsburgh" and was currently living in the Miami area.

• Love 1

I'm just going to chalk it up to nerves and that is why Jamie's story was so...garbled.

Depending on when this was filmed, I may forgive them for not recognizing a picture of Loretta Lynch. Maybe.

• Love 2

The judges are really letting things slide -- "What is King ?" in the Broadway category, and "Who is Pope Benedict ?" in the Before Your Eyes category.  Ummm, which Pope Benedict, there have been 16 of them ?

That was an underwhelming Jeopardy round -- Jacob and Peter had to fight to stay out of negative territory, but everyone came on nicely in the DJ round to get decent sized totals going into FJ.

And the trend continues where contestants who defeat a long-reigning champ exit the very next game.

Congrats to Jamie.

• Love 6

John Wilkes Booth was wayyyy too easy for a DD. Plus they gave the year and mentioned a theatre...

Right?! I found that category really hard - EXCEPT for that one.

• Love 3

I'm just going to chalk it up to nerves and that is why Jamie's story was so...garbled.

I thought Jamie was trying to avoid saying where she worked exactly and Alex was determined to drag it out of her. I'm glad she won.

That seemed like a pretty easy game, lots of pictures of people and places (the Kremlin was a TS?) and still the two guys almost flamed out.

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh, I'll put it up to that being exactly the kind of person Disney hires for its parks ... or at least the kind of person one becomes after working there for a while.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I was really rooting for the guy in the middle, he had a lot of appeal as a player. For once, I'm disappointed the woman won.

Too funny the first part of this game had everyone either in the red or with just a few hundred dollars. I'm surprised Trebek didn't snark on that.

That FJ was a TS ... wow.

• Love 2

Stupid mayoral debate preempted Jeopardy! today.  Grrrrrrrr!

We must live in the same general area. No Jeopardy! for me either. Though it sounds like I didn't miss much.

• Love 1

I think Jami's cagey answer was to protect her Disney job.  She clearly did not want to reveal any information, yet Alex kept pushing and pushing.  I hope she doesn't get in trouble with her bosses.  Those Disney people can be harsh on the employees.

• Love 5

I can see her not wanting to say Disney, but her description of the characters was pretty clear who it was. And I would think if she needed to keep the characters names or the company name out of it she would have told Alex beforehand, no?

• Love 2
(edited)

That was a pretty quiet game compared to the day before, even the current champ seemed calmed down.

I liked all the contestants pretty well, would have been happy with any of them winning.

I was very surprised that none of them knew the Johnstown flood.

For FJ all I could come up with was Dover and I was pretty sure that wasn't it.  From the clue it sounded like a town with a compound word name was wanted.  At least Dover (Beach) is in literature and is pretty close to Canterbury.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
(edited)
I was very surprised that none of them knew the Johnstown flood.

I'm sure they heard of the Johnstown flood.  I've heard of the flood, but I thought they were looking for the name of the dam that broke.  I didn't realize a generic "the dam broke" would work.  I was going through my favorite dams (Hoover Dam, Amster Dam, Rotter Dam, God Dam..).

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 8
(edited)

That last one is a favorite place of mine, I visit often.

I'm guessing the now ex-champ's "shouty" voice was due to his being a MASTER THESPIAN so must project to the audience. I actually didn't mind it. Not that it matters now.

Good luck Jamie!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
(edited)

I wish Jacob had played like this the day before. 

I do like Jamie, though.  It would have been interesting to see her against Dan.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 2

As an English major I should have gotten Canterbury very quickly as we read the whole thing, but I'm ashamed to say I ignored English in the subject and began to think of Southern cities: Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Jackson, New Orleans, ....

:D Oopsie!

I got stuck on Kent and so thought of Kensington. I know that's actually part of London, but I couldn't think of any other city with "Kent" in the name. And now after googling Canterbury, I see Kent is the district not a city.

• Love 1

I can see her not wanting to say Disney, but her description of the characters was pretty clear who it was. And I would think if she needed to keep the characters names or the company name out of it she would have told Alex beforehand, no?

I didn't watch the interviews, but if Alex was hunting for details, that's really strange. I thought the show's policy was to avoid naming employers.

• Love 1

I came up with Canterbury quickly and figured "that's so easy, they'll all get it"

Apparently not. You just never know

I keep forgetting that Canterbury is in Kent.  I tried to think of cities in the South of England with literary connections, and all I could come up with was a mention of Southampton in Henry V.

• Love 1

I was in Johnstown just last week, but I skipped all the flood museum stuff - earlier that morning I had visited the Flight 93 Memorial and that was enough death & destruction for one day.  Johnstown also has the steepest "incline plane" railroad, but the cable needs replacing, so it was closed when I was there. Doesn't it figure?

At least, I'm south of Knoxville now, but close enough that I bet I watch J! on the same channel as I did last night in Kentucky.  LOL.

• Love 2

We watched Jeopardy late last night, so I'm using tiredness as an excuse. When I said I hadn't heard of Jonestown flood, Mr. Pallid a said "well you were young when it happened." 1889 and 1989 are pretty close right?

• Love 2

Johnstown also has the steepest "incline plane" railroad,

I can see this as a future Jeopardy question! I'm a PBS junkie and saw a program on the Johnstown flood a while back. And again a while back. (PBS likes to repeat.)

When I said I hadn't heard of Jonestown flood, Mr. Pallid a said "well you were young when it happened." 1889 and 1989 are pretty close right?

Well, there's young and then there's REALLY YOUNG!

Are you on a cross-country tour, Prevailing Wind? Sounds fun!

• Love 1

I really enjoyed Addison tonight and hope he stays a while. His "Wow!" reactions when pulling the Daily Doubles out of nowhere were adorable (or adorkable). And Jami was a good sport for applauding him.

After two nights of feeling smug that I got FJ's that others found tough, I guessed wrong tonight. I was thinking either Sacco and Vanzetti or Leopold and Loeb. The Rosenbergs completely slipped my mind.

• Love 7
(edited)

I enjoyed Addison playing along with the Jeopardy cloud but I am apparently an old lady who wants youngsters nowhere near my abode and find his hair and goatee to be a no.

I said Bonnie and Clyde. It didn't really make sense but they were a pair so I went with it.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

I knew the answer for FJ, but couldn't come up with their last name.  Would they have accepted "the husband and wife convicted of spying for the Russians in the 50s ?"

Only if they were autistic and diabetic.

For FJ I thought Leopold and Loeb or the Rosenbergs and settled on the latter.

I'm not sure about Addison. His hipster hair rubs me the wrong way. Maybe he'll be okay. In the mean time, get off my lawn!

Jamie does not give good interview. I thought it a little odd that she cheered out loud for most of Hipster Hair's correct answers.

• Love 5
(edited)

I know I'm all for individuality and appreciate those who break out of the mold of "I have to be like everyone else," but yeah, I kept staring at Addison's hair trying to figure it out, then decided he needed a barrette or a scrungie.

I was all "Leopold and Loeb" for FJ too. i know: Big surprise, I was wrong. Heh.

Only if they were autistic and diabetic.

This cracked me up. Good one.

What was up with Jami tanking today after having a nice win yesterday? And yeah, she was rather Edith Bunker-like, so she was a pleasant contestant for the short while we knew her.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I guessed Erlichman & Haldeman - wishful thinking.  Hahahahaha.  I saw a movie - fictional account - based on the Rosenbergs - Lindsay Crouse as the Ethel character & Mandy Patinkin as Julius.  She went to the chair with such dignity, while he was an emotional mess - which I'm sure I would be, too.  (Movie's called Daniel. Tim Hutton's one of their sons.)

Not a cross-country trip - eastern time zone only.  Atlanta to Western PA, including the road construction capital of the world, Pittsburgh, into eastern Ohio & heading home through KY, TN & NC.  Saw the Leo Petroglyphs in Ohio.  Really interesting, but I don't see how anybody knows they're looking at ancient carvings. Once they're pointed out, I can see 'em, but do not give me a rock & say there are carvings on it - guess where.  I'd need that cloud Addison was using.

Tomorrow night I may be watching J! from an Asheville, NC station. Or possibly Greenville, SC.  I'll be in an odd spot of Western NC.

• Love 2

I guessed Lerner & Loeb at first, and then realized that not only were they playwrights, but I'd misnamed one. Then I thought of Sacco & Vanzetti, but settled on the Rosenbergs before time ran out. IIRC they were central to a Doctorow book I had to read in school.  I thought Jami might have become confused at some point over whether she was still competing, what with the cheering for Addison! She DID get back into the game near the end, but the ship had sailed.

• Love 1

Drat! I kept waiting and waiting for the Colin Firth category, and they put it off till last and couldn't complete it.

I see I'll be listening only until Addison and his hair are gone. 

• Love 1