Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Did Alex really say Josh Whedon instead of Joss Whedon?

For FJ I was pretty sure the right answer started with M but I couldn't remember any likely names so I went with Circe.  I had the wrong M person in mind anyhow.

• Love 1

I definitely heard him say "Joss" and then self-incorrect to "Josh." Because apparently he assumed there was a typo on his card?

If the contestant had said "Josh Wedon" surely he would have been ruled wrong, since that's not his name. I was a little surprised that he did it, and that there was no correction. But I guess we don't correct Alex.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 3

I guess all three thought they knew a whole lot more about the FJ category than they actually did.

Mythology is a very tricky category. It needn't be Greek mythology (although this question was). I thought of Circe for a moment, then I remembered reading that her name was Greek for "hawk." Medea is the only other well known sorceress of Greek myth, although how evil she is is open to debate. She does everything out of love for Jason, and only does evil when he betrays her.

I heard "Josh Whedon" also.

• Love 2

Again the beard is triumphant!   I guess Circe too, though Medea crossed my mind.

He had a moustache, not a beard. Unless I'm missing something.

And I'm not sure the FJ question was specific enough to allow a definitive answer,

Edited by SyracuseMug

I heard Alex say "WheaTon". Anyone else? And forgive me, but a graduate student in poetry??? At least he has the smarts to realize that is getting him nowhere.

Some people go to school and study what they enjoy. There are a lot of employers that just want you to have a degree, regardless of the field of study. I majored in English and was told the only thing I'd be able to do with my degree was teach. I'm glad I didn't listen to the haters.

• Love 3

Wow.  Is that the first time Trebek gave out all or some of the answer?  I had to laugh because he's Mr. Perfecto.

I'm glad the poetry guy is gone because he was too twitchy for me.  Although I'd rather watch him twitch than Eamon waving the ringer around.  I'm hoping the new champ smiles more.  She was so serious during the match. 

I was surprised when all 3 missed FJ.   I would have thought California Cities would have been easy.  Lucky for the new champ she didn't bet the bank.

• Love 1

I'm glad that didn't cost Stephanie.

Me, too! I think she should have been offered another chance if she lost, since that slip-up was not her fault.

I also was surprised that FJ was a TS, though I might not have known it if I had not done a summer course at Stanford a long time ago. 

Some people go to school and study what they enjoy. There are a lot of employers that just want you to have a degree, regardless of the field of study. I majored in English and was told the only thing I'd be able to do with my degree was teach. I'm glad I didn't listen to the haters.

I'm not a hater. My undergrad degree is in film studies, which is worthless. Which is why I got a master's in library science. Back to your regularly scheduled Jeopardy! talk...

• Love 2

I do like Stephanie a lot, but I agree I hope she can loosen up more. She gave a couple of answers and the way she said it there was a subtext of overconfidence that was kind of off-putting. Not too much, I just gave it a side-eye (like the way she said "Raphael," for instance).

Less than a minute into the episode I was hoping Eamon wouldn't win because I couldn't stand the way he swayed his whole body side to side every time he answered :P But he did calm down a bit as the game progressed. 
That's unfortunate that Alex messed up that answer for Stephanie - I can't remember what the dollar amount was, but maybe the game at the end would have been a runaway (it was pretty close) and Stephanie likely came out with less money because of it. It's good that she won, though.

• Love 1

OK, I'm confused.  Was last nights show an expected followup to Monday nights?  The Charlotte, NC affiliate ran a show on Monday night where a different person was the champ with winnings of about $29,000.  On Tuesday we were surprised to see the champ with $1500 in winnings.  Since it had been two weeks since the last normal show I didn't remember the Monday nights champ from the last regular game.  I guess the local station ran some random show on Monday night or we got a preview of a future show. Anyone know how far in advance the shows are available to the network affiliates?

I was surprised when all 3 missed FJ.   I would have thought California Cities would have been easy.

I know very few CA cities and almost nothing about Herbert Hoover.  So imagine my surprise when my random guess of "Palo Alto" was actually correct.  Odd side note: Yorba Linda, one of the contestant guesses, is also one of the cities whose names I recognize but only because Richard Nixon was from there.  Not really sure why I know that, since presidential trivia is soooo not my thing.

My response to Alex saying "if you know where Herbert Hoover went to college..." was "how the f*** would I know where Herbert Hoover went to college????"

Doesn't everyone know that :-)   I'm guessing the info most people know about Hoover is that he was President and there is a dam named after him.  And a song in Annie.  Though, I also know his wife's name but that's about it.

• Love 3

I was going to comment on this yesterday.  When the champ won with $1500 the 2nd person (who had been the champ) walked away with $2000.  How bizarre.  And yesterday the champ added $2000 to his previously won $1500.  That must be the lowest two day total I've ever seen.  I felt sorry for him, but of course he should have never won the day before. 

I wouldn't have guessed Palo Alto if you had a gun to my head.    

• Love 1
My reaction to the FJ clue was "Aren't most of the cities in CA 2 words???".
Same here. Maybe if they'd said "2 word name, and one of the words is NOT San" I might eventually have come up with Palo Alto.
  • Love 1

I ... uh ... have some serious shame about last night's FJ. My kids went to elementary through high school in Palo Alto, and I still didn't get it. I mean, after the reveal, I remembered that my son used to have soccer games at Hoover Elementary School sometimes and I remember thinking, "Why on earth is there a school named after Herbert Hoover, of all people?", but that didn't help me in the 30 second thinking time. So embarrassed.

• Love 1

Is there a site that has the clues, before or after the episode airs?  My local station frequently preempts Jeopardy for sports or shiny things.  Also I can't always see all of a show, and have no recording capability.  adTHANKSvance!

Is there a site that has the clues, before or after the episode airs?  My local station frequently preempts Jeopardy for sports or shiny things.  Also I can't always see all of a show, and have no recording capability.  adTHANKSvance!

J-Archive is the site you are looking for.  It is updated usually 1 or 2 days after an episode airs.  Tuesday's episode is already up.

http://www.j-archive.com/

• Love 1

I missed last night's episode, so just got caught up via the archive, and am surprised by some of the TS.  I'm surprised no one knew CDF stood for Children's Defense Fund, but what really surprised me was that no one could come up with Montana for a large, cold, western state.  Less so that no one could work out Gaza as a city located on a strip given the context of the clue.  The King David TS also surprised me.

They put up a picture of Janis Joplin in the postage stamp clue?!  That sort of nonsense will never stop annoying me.

I'm a native Californian, so I know a lot of our cities.  But I didn't know Hoover had gone to Stanford, and there are schools named for him all over the place (including one less than a mile from me), so I didn't associate him with any particular city -- thus,  for FJ, I was just randomly tossing out two-word cities as the Hoover part of the clue was useless to me.  Palo Alto was one of them, but I never settled on one as my guess before just going ahead and looking at the answer.

DH knows a lot of presidential history, and he knew Hoover graduated from Stanford, but neither of us remembered Palo Alto as the city.

We've been watching NYPD Blue reruns, and usually get the last 15 minutes or so of Jeopardy!

The judges were being REALLY lenient with that partial answer for Bartholomew Cubbins in the Suessian words category.

Seriously ?  They showed a graphic of Iran, complete with a red star indicating where the capital was, and asked for the name of the capital -- in the Double Jeopardy round.  That's embarrassingly easy.

Stephanie flamed out really quickly after yesterday's impressive victory.  Thought Ravi might take it.

I knew FJ had to be ABBA but could not come up with "Dancing Queen" for the life of me.

I thought the Columbus clue was ridiculously easy but if you don't know about college rivalries I can see where it would be difficult.

I wish I could remember the $2000 clue that I was surprised was so high.

I ... uh ... have some serious shame about last night's FJ. My kids went to elementary through high school in Palo Alto, and I still didn't get it.

I'm even more embarrassed because I went to Stanford and forgot all about the Hoover Institute, aof signature structure on campus! I must be getting old...

• Love 1

There were two TS that, had I been a contestant, Alex would've said, "Prevailing Wind, you knew that, didn't you?"  because I came up with the correct response just as Alex started saying it.  One of 'em was smelt and I can't remember the second one.  There's no speculation about it - I'm not *getting* old, I *AM* old.  LOL.

I had heard the story about Dancing Queen, but I couldn't remember the title of the song tonight. I knew it was ABBA, but I was stuck. 

I was sure that Christina said "Lorak" instead of "Lorax."

No surprise that no one got Stardust since that was before their times. It's before mine too, but I know some of that old stuff.

I also knew Bill W and Ballard. Oh, and I guessed correctly on matchbooks. The hint about the restaurants gave it to me.

• Love 1

I got to Abba quickly, but it took me a bit to settle on the right song.  White Wedding and Candle in the Wind seemed pretty embarrassing guesses to me.

I'm surprised smelt was a triple stumper, given the category name spotted the first and last letter.  Less so with Stardust, as the smelt clue gave two chances to come up with it.

A picture of Howard Dean was bad enough, but highlighting Tehran on a map sent me 'round the bend.

I think of dipstick as meaning a moron, not a jerk.

I had never heard of Church's Fried Chicken, and apparently did not read as much Dr. Seuss as I thought I did.  I also completely blanked on Ballard's name.

Edited by Bastet

I think of dipstick as meaning a moron, not a jerk.

I said the exact same thing.

I have just gotten back into watching the show something I haven't done since I was a child/teen but just as it used to annoy me then the fact that people applaud when a Double Jeopardy is selected still annoys me now! They haven't done anything yet!

• Love 1

If that had been Brian Williams instead of David Muir, the episode still would have aired, right?

I actually had the exact same thought.

Jeopardy also has a bizarre ability to ask about someone shortly after their death, even when the episode is taped before that person dies. I can't think of specific examples, but it's happened frequently enough that I know it's a thing.

• Love 1

I knew FJ had to be ABBA but could not come up with "Dancing Queen" for the life of me.

I knew it was ABBA and was thinking "Waterloo" at first but knew the year wasn't right.  So I said "Dancing Queen" because I was pretty sure that was ABBA's biggest hit in the US.  THEN it dawned on me about the whole 'becoming queen' aspect.  D'uh.

A picture of Howard Dean was bad enough, but highlighting Tehran on a map sent me 'round the bend.

The Tehran thing was pretty bad, but the picture of Howard Dean didn't help me.  I knew it was "Ranting Howard" but couldn't remember his last name to save my life.

Loved the Seuss category, but I would've made the contestant come up with "Cubbins" in addition to "Bartholemew" - I'm a stickler about full names mostly, except for Elvis.