Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

TDD = True Daily Double

RC = Returning Champion

ETA:  I think I recall seeing long ago on a forum that shall remain nameless, the use of KW, TW and CW for Kids', Teens' and College Week, respectively, but they haven't seemed to carry over to this board.

Edited by Tunia

I'm getting such a kick out of following @whoisalexjacob. I couldn't love this guy any more. I hope his run never ends.

I guess that would be IHHRNE in Jeopardy-thread speak.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

OK. I checked out @whoisalexjacob and am following him now.

He retweeted someone called @alexpokerguy (unless that's him under a different name?):

Summed up, Alex forces his opponents to take less comfortable strategies to counter his own….
Giving your opponent the opportunity to make mistakes. Your opp's are off tempo. Answering too quickly, poor stack risk choices....

This made me wonder if this is why Alex pauses so long before answering, to psychologically get his opponents to answer quickly.

But later Alex tweets:

I wasn't trying to say anything else after MMX. Slow delivery was me making sure I didn't screw it up.

I don't know what MMX refers to, but this statement seems to refute @alexpokerguy's tweets.

I don't know what MMX refers to,

Neither do I. We need that added to the Glossary thread.

I wondered if Alex is reading here when he Tweeted about not fully answering the arc question.

I don't know what MMX refers to, but this statement seems to refute @alexpokerguy's tweets.

That's a reference to his first game -- you had to answer in Roman numerals in one of the categories. It totally seemed to me that Alex J. was about to add more to his reply when Alex T. cut in to tell him he was right. It was one of the things that annoyed me during that game. Alex J. has gotten more tolerable since, for me anyway, but that first game was very hard to watch. 

• Love 3

I don't like the board jumping because it makes it a lot less fun for me to play along, but I rather like Alex J otherwise. And I admire the restraint to not blurt out the first thing on his mind immediately--a lot of being smart is making sure you aren't doing something really stupid.

(As for his demeanor and posture...it wouldn't surprise me if he weren't a little bit on the Aspberger's spectrum.)

I don't think they should have given Alex credit for the "arc" answer. It was another one where he rang in really early, seemed like he then realized he had no clue, and then guessed. Except that I think he mean arc like Noah, and it was really the Arc of the Covenant, and I don't think he had a clue. At the very least it should have had a BMS.

He absolutely should not have been credited with a correct answer for "ark".  There are two arks mentioned in the Bible, and the one the clue wanted was "Ark of the Covenant".  Trebek should've required that Alex provided the rest of the name, and if he couldn't, rule the answer incorrect.  UGH!

• Love 3

Okay, so I burst out laughing at Alex's bright red/orange shirt today. It's like some production assistant went out shopping for him overnight.

I much prefer Alex's deadpan delivery and calm demeanor over the woman today, already forgot her name, who treated her buzzer like a Shake Weight. SO annoying. It's like she lost five pounds trying to buzz in.

I can't believe Alex lost FJ. I guess he's spent too much time on Twitter and not enough on Instagram.  Farewell, @whoisalexjacob. We hardly knew ye. My interest in Jeopardy will now wane back to listening while I do something else.

And DAMN that red shirt. I know that's what ruined his run. Where the h*ll was his lucky grey blouse?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

Perhaps because I happened to be reading an online Mad Men article at the time but fedora as a TS slayed me.

Ford's Theatre as a DD was RIDICULOUS.

Every tic Alex did since his first appearance is soothing like an ocean sounds CD compared to the way Monica violated the signaling device and flailed her arms around.

I feel icky that there was a fat kids category.

Alex grew on me in the way Arthur Chu never ever ever did. So of course he's gone.

I didn't even think of Instagram. I said Tumblr.

• Love 3

Really surprised Alex lost on that FJ. He seemed aware enough of pop culture I thought, to at least know Twitter's been around since 2006.

Kudos to the new champion who really seemed to pull out in the last 10 minutes after trailing so far behind. I don't know if he'll last as long as Alex though.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

What is Roosevelt ?  Seriously, it's a Presidential-related category, and there are two Roosevelts and Alex-the-Trebek didn't ask Alex-the-contestant to be more specific.  Come on.  

There were two Adams and two Roosevelts - they should have had to say which one.

I forgot about Adams as well.  Man, the judging was bad during this game.

I'm glad Alex-the-contestant is gone -- then again maybe he tanked FJ on purpose because he was actually getting bored of it all.

Ford's Theatre as a DD was RIDICULOUS.

No kidding, when you compare that to the DD Alex-the-contestant answered for Bloemfontein in the African B-city category -- I'd never heard of that and wasn't even sure of the spelling when looking it up.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

+10,000 on your entire post, ottoDbusdriver.

Well, I guess that's what Alex the C gets for not wearing his lucky shirt. He sure didn't ring in much. Too tired? Too stoned? The way he was hanging over the podium and acting all mopey at the end was childish.

I wanted to tie Monica's arm to her side before the first commercial break. It's a mystery to me why contestants aren't advised to tone down annoying mannerisms during the breaks. Then again, maybe the Jeopardy! crew enjoys snarking on them, too.

Todd seems pleasant and not weird. He'll probably not last because he's not irritating. ;-)

• Love 4

I don't feel as bad about not liking Alex during his entire run after seeing how sulky and unsportsmanlike his reaction to his loss was.  It sucks to lose, but that's when you put on your big-boy face and act grateful for the $150K you did manage to win.

After tonight's game I confessed to my husband (the original Mr. Tinfoil Hat) that the thought occurred to me that someday somebody was going to come in wearing a wireless earpiece.  Alex's weird mannerisms brought that thought into my head again this past week.  I know, cue the crazy theremin music.  But eventually I'll be right about that.

• Love 1

Alex grew on me, so I'm not celebrating his defeat. However, I'm surprised he missed Instagram. I didn't like watching the blowouts, but the games he had that were close were fun to watch. He's going to be hard to beat in the TOC.

Roosevelt definitely needed a BMS. Seriously, Alex (both host and contestant!)

That buzzer in the air by the middle contestant was driving me nuts. I'm sure she felt a lot of pressure, going up against a giant. Whoever compared it to a shake weight is dead on.

I need to brush up on my African georgeaphy. I say that every time such a category comes up. It's definitely a weak category for me.

• Love 1

I also burst out laughing when I saw alex's red shirt, and I am definitely sad to see him go. I really enjoyed watching him earn a lot of money. I thought the two daily doubles in the double jeopardy round were pretty easy though.

Surprised nobody got fedora.

For FJ I also said Instagram and then changed my mind to Twitter, and then changed it back to Instagram because I thought Twitter was older than 2010.

I missed the first round tonight.

Alex's Wile E. Coyote style wave goodbye gave me a chuckle.

I had no idea on FJ.  I knew it wasn't Facebook, but it could have been Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, or something I'd never heard of for all I knew.  I went with Twitter since that's the only one of those three I even know what it is (I once learned what Instagram and Pinterest are from J! clues, but it didn't stick with me).

The exuberant buzzer pushing didn't bother me, and there was something about her little flair at the end of each successful buzz that tickled me.

I knew Africa was my geography weak spot, but my performance in that category was embarrassing.  I did know Sierra Leone, though, so I was surprised none of them did.

• Love 2

Doesn't he know about the red shirt curse? 

I was just thinking of the Star Trek Red Shirts. And now I'm sorry to see him go.

I couldn't believe that Alex T didn't say BMS when Monica said, "What is Roosevelt?"

When I was growing up there was a program on Sunday mornings called Lamp Unto My Feet. I didn't know the biblical phrase, and I was hearing/reading "lamp" as a verb. I couldn't figure out what lamping onto feet meant.

• Love 3

Per J-Archive, a TS is a clue for which no correct response is given by any player.

I assumed it was a clue for which no player rings in at all. Suppose two contestants answer incorrectly, and the third knows the answer but botches the pronunciation. I wouldn't technically consider that a triple stumper. I also wonder whether a player is truly stumped who believes he or she knows the answer but is mistaken. Same goes for someone who makes an educated guess, but is also wrong. For me, being "stumped" means I have absolutely no idea.

I've only ever discussed the show here and on TWoP, so my frame of reference is limited, but within that context TS has been used to mean a clue that none of the three answered correctly -- whether none made a guess, one or more made an incorrect guess, etc.  Just something where the correct answer eluded all three.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

Regarding Alex J: I didn't particularly mind his quirks, but I find runaway games boring. Ditto for rounds where only low value clues are left at the end. He seemed like such a machine for awhile that I was dreading a Ken Jennings-style streak where most of the time there was no suspense in Final Jeopardy. So, fairly or not, I felt some Schadenfreude when he lost.

• Love 2

And he got himself a new red shirt and everything!  As a former Air Force pilot myself, I was glad to see Todd win, I hope he has a long run!

I like him but I feel like he's a one & done type of contestant. But still, he took down a formidable opponent.

• Love 1

I for one am glad Alex-the-contestant is gone.  I never warmed to his starting in the middle of the category (and never will, regardless of the contestant), nor to what I perceived as stalling the game.  He didn't have to -- he showed plenty of times that he could keep the pace up, but it appeared that he chose not to most of the time.

I get that things like that are strategies for winning, and I get that they often work, but that doesn't mean I have to like them or enjoy watching people who use them.

• Love 8

Perhaps because I happened to be reading an online Mad Men article at the time but fedora as a TS slayed me.

All I could think was: "Have these people never seen Indiana Jones?!?"

I got Instagram, but it was a wild guess I took only because I knew Facebook had not been sold to another company, otherwise I would've guessed it.

I'm not going to celebrate the demise of Alex too much, because usually that guarantees someone will come along who bugs me even more.  There was someone right before Arthur Chu who drove me crazy; I'd have taken that guy back in a second, in retrospect.

No kidding, when you compare that to the DD Alex-the-contestant answered for Bloemfontein in the African B-city category -- I'd never heard of that and wasn't even sure of the spelling when looking it up.

I only knew it because some of the 2010 World Cup matches were held there.  Otherwise I'd have been clueless.  And that was almost the only African B-City I did get.  That was a hard category.

Generally, the show will go into repeats in August to mid-September.

They usually show various tournaments from the previous year.  I don't mind that because I often miss a lot of the games during their original run.

I wish when a champion loses he would immediately shake the hands of his two opponents and try to be sportsmanlike.

I read somewhere (maybe at @whoisalexjacob) that the show discourages hand shaking because TPTB are worried about contestants falling or tripping over the podium. I'm thinking some of those shorties have to stand on a box so they look as tall as tall Alex.

It was 5 a day when I was on the show in 2008.

Yes. Doing that many shows in a row has to be grueling. Plus there is the extra time we don't see, when taping stops so an answer can be researched. It really does make Ken Jennings a machine that he could last that long.

I thought Twitter for FJ too, because I know it has no advertising, unlike Facebook. I never go on Instagram, so shame on me. I was surprised Alex was taken down by a question he should have known, just like Jennings was stopped by that stupid HR Block/FedEx FJ. Although I always felt like Jennings was looking for a way to bail out and just go home to miss something so easy.

But Alex knew those African B cities. Holy moly. Plus he met his fiancé at "smart camp." Too funny. Color me impressed.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I wish I could have heard more about smart camp and Alex J was trying to say more but stupid Alex T kept interrupting. That really irritated me.

And did Alex J's hair look bigger last night than last week? I know in his poker pics he was rocking a pretty impressive 'fro and it looks like he is growing it back out.

I'm thinking some of those shorties have to stand on a box so they look as tall as tall Alex.

The producers try to have the contestants around the same height behind the podiums because it's easier to frame the shot that way.  So yes, if you're someone short like me, you end up standing on a box or two.  Well, when I was there they were more like stage risers, but you get the idea.

• Love 2

So yes, if you're someone short like me, you end up standing on a box or two.

I had two boxes also!  The first thing my Mom said after she watched my show was "you looked so tall!"

• Love 5