Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

(edited)

We should be able to express our opinions, agree or disagree and continue on without being critical or intolerant of another member’s point of view.  It’s unrealistic to think that everyone will have the same opinion of an individual cast member and/or what they’ve said or done.  Lively discussion and healthy debate filled with a lot of fantastic back and forth commentary of varying opinions make our discussions interesting.  Sometimes we do seem to go around in circles but that typically ends when a new episode airs and our discussions are focused on someone or something else.  Unfortunately, not everyone takes the time to express their point of view without sounding like their opinion is the “right” one.   That happened over the weekend in the episode discussion thread.  Thanks to our mods, those posts have been deleted.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 7

Talula, you have edited your post several times and I have read all the edits, including the latest one above. I can't tell from the first unedited post to the recent edited, and completely different one, if you are commiserating with posters, or chastising. The latest edited post is interesting and does give insight to what happened in the locked thread. Yet, I think the majority of the posters did follow and just stay out of the flame. I think there is just a core group, maybe five at most, that just post to argue their point, taking apart every single post that disagrees with their point and will argue until the end of time. And the other posters continue to stay out of it. And the thread gets locked. So what are we to do? There are many great posters here, plus a small core group of posters that argue relentlessly. The great posters follow the rules, the core group flaunts them, until the mods have to shut it down. I guess what I am trying to say is, you are preaching to the choir. The small core group of arguing posters is the problem, not the ones who know how to deal with them. 

I guess I am just confused by all the edits of your post.

Sorry for the re-editing, but I was finally satisfied with the online "Miss @manners" info about the issue over anything I could say...it hit the nail on the head.

I agree with you about "a small group of posters" determined to argue their point. I also agree with the mod's rational to keep the peace by taking action.

And tonight it begins again...hopefully different points of view will not get in the way of sharing our views.

• Love 2

We should be able to express our opinions, agree or disagree and continue on without being critical or intolerant of another member’s point of view.  It’s unrealistic to think that everyone will have the same opinion of an individual cast member and/or what they’ve said or done.  Lively discussion and healthy debate filled with a lot of fantastic back and forth commentary of varying opinions make our discussions interesting.  Sometimes we do seem to go around in circles but that typically ends when a new episode airs and our discussions are focused on someone or something else.  Unfortunately, not everyone takes the time to express their point of view without sounding like their opinion is the “right” one.   That happened over the weekend in the episode discussion thread.  Thanks to our mods, those posts have been deleted.

Sadly, I do think as each season, of any HW show, gets near the end, tempers flare a bit more and discussions can get a bit more heated between opposing viewers/opinions. Sometimes we, myself included, can get drawn into the show dynamics far more than we should and our humor goes out the window! LOL Maybe it would be better if the HW shows were not 17 - 19 episodes + the reunion shows followed by the "lost footage" shows. LOL

• Love 3

Sadly, I do think as each season, of any HW show, gets near the end, tempers flare a bit more and discussions can get a bit more heated between opposing viewers/opinions. Sometimes we, myself included, can get drawn into the show dynamics far more than we should and our humor goes out the window! LOL Maybe it would be better if the HW shows were not 17 - 19 episodes + the reunion shows followed by the "lost footage" shows. LOL

I doubt they'll have this issue with the OC.   

I'm bored with it already.

• Love 6

I've been avoiding the other threads as well.  I'm tired of the pages upon pages of repetitive strife and sniping.  People in this thread are so nice to each other ...  how hard can it be to observe some common courtesy and avoid arguments?   :-(

I have only posted a handful of times this whole season for this very reason. It really sucks the fun out of it which is a shame. This forum has always been the best part of watching the housewives.

• Love 6

I am new to this site and I really like it. I used to comment on Bravo boards but they closed comments down so I started lurking and then commenting on IMDB and wow, I didn't think I would ever experience a personal attack (like my I.Q. and body type) when commenting on a RH storyline!  It was so crazy.  I realize all message boards contain differing opinons and that's what I like about them. When my opinion angers someone there I could end up (almost) crying! Glad I found this site:)

• Love 6

I am new to this site and I really like it. I used to comment on Bravo boards but they closed comments down so I started lurking and then commenting on IMDB and wow, I didn't think I would ever experience a personal attack (like my I.Q. and body type) when commenting on a RH storyline!  It was so crazy.  I realize all message boards contain differing opinons and that's what I like about them. When my opinion angers someone there I could end up (almost) crying! Glad I found this site:)

Welcome barbaralewis!

I'm glad you found us.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I am new to this site and I really like it. I used to comment on Bravo boards but they closed comments down so I started lurking and then commenting on IMDB and wow, I didn't think I would ever experience a personal attack (like my I.Q. and body type) when commenting on a RH storyline! It was so crazy. I realize all message boards contain differing opinons and that's what I like about them. When my opinion angers someone there I could end up (almost) crying! Glad I found this site:)

welcome_0129.gif

Edited by talula
  • Love 2

I am new to this site and I really like it. I used to comment on Bravo boards but they closed comments down so I started lurking and then commenting on IMDB and wow, I didn't think I would ever experience a personal attack (like my I.Q. and body type) when commenting on a RH storyline! It was so crazy. I realize all message boards contain differing opinons and that's what I like about them. When my opinion angers someone there I could end up (almost) crying! Glad I found this site:)

Welcome barbaralewis, I hope you have a good time posting here.

• Love 2

This forum seems to be experiencing technical difficulties.  For the past two or three hours the "service unavailable" message pops up and I have to reconnect which doesn't always work.  It's not my internet connection because I have three tabs open and two of them are just fine.  This is the one with a problem.   Some of the usual features are acting up as well.  Sometimes "liking" a post works and sometimes it doesn't.  I've also had trouble saving a post.

Hopefully, one or more of our mods are reading this tonight.

• Love 4

This forum seems to be experiencing technical difficulties.  For the past two or three hours the "service unavailable" message pops up and I have to reconnect which doesn't always work.  It's not my internet connection because I have three tabs open and two of them are just fine.  This is the one with a problem.   Some of the usual features are acting up as well.  Sometimes "liking" a post works and sometimes it doesn't.  I've also had trouble saving a post.

Thanks- I thought it was my computer.

• Love 2

It's not just you AnnA...something was wrong here.

Yesterday afternoon they took down the 19 Kids and Counting thread for cleaning and shuffling and maintenance. That's a really big and busy forum so maybe that prompted some awkwardness throughout the board.

That's all I've got.

My only issue was the board taking longer to load once everything was back up.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1

Does Bravo have an official forum? I want to know what happened to the new show Work Out: New York that was supposed to premiere this week. It appears to have been pulled from the schedule entirely.

• Love 1

Does Bravo have an official forum? I want to know what happened to the new show Work Out: New York that was supposed to premiere this week. It appears to have been pulled from the schedule entirely.

Odd that I had to wander into the Small Talk thread on RHONY to find someone who was wondering the exact same thing.

I'm also really puzzled what happened with that show. I can't quite do Vanderpump Rules, but I was looking forward to watching pretty trainers engage in similar hijinks. 

Is it just a delay or will that show never see the light of day?

Is it just a delay or will that show never see the light of day?

I can't imagine they'd scrap the show entirely since its been filmed, edited and all the checks to the cast and crew have been cashed. My guess is that some version of the show will eventually air, perhaps in a few months time. The only explanation I can come up with is that Bravo was unhappy with the footage and ordered the footage to be recut or some legal issue arose.

OK - so totally a different subject.  Does anyone get ridiculously anxious every time they have a doctor's appointment.  I HATE going to the doctor.  I hate doctors - well, except for a few.  Oh, yeah, I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow for my yearly.  I always imagine the worst.  I have had a few problems over the years and now I just get myself so worked up. 

Coming here is a great diversion but I doubt I'm going to sleep well tonight.......  I may be posting to myself later.

• Love 2

I never go to the doctor for routine stuff. I only go if it is an emergency thing. Because all they do is try to put you on medicine. I may croak one day, with or without the medicine. If I croak, it means it was my time to croak.

And if I go for say, two months without posting, I have probably croaked and I will need a mod to come in and clean up my posts. I don't really want to explain all the crap I wrote to my family when they get around to joining me in croakville.

My thing is tests.  We'll do a test.  Then the test comes back that there might be a problem so we'll do the test again or now we have to monitor this.  I hate tests. 

And I hate sitting in the freaking waiting room.... and then the exam room.  Do these people understand that my time is just as important as theirs. 

• Love 3

Other than a trip to the ER to get my foot x-rayed earlier this year, I haven't been to the doctor in over 7 years.  Hate waiting rooms, dislike docs, hate tests, and don't want to hear all the bad stuff that's probably wrong with me.  I used to get nailed all the time for high blood pressure, when it was only "white coat syndrome".  I haven't had a cold or flu in over 8 years; I'm sure that would change if I were to visit the doctor's office.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!  :-)

• Love 3

I had a ballroom dancin concussion a year ago, almost to the day. I've had so many complications. Now I'm fight a battle trying to save my sight since the blow to the back of the head did some major damage. I have an army of doctors. I see someone or other every fricking week.

• Love 4

I had a ballroom dancin concussion a year ago, almost to the day. I've had so many complications. Now I'm fight a battle trying to save my sight since the blow to the back of the head did some major damage. I have an army of doctors. I see someone or other every fricking week.

Yikes.  I hope it gets better. 

• Love 2

Thanks everyone. Nice to vent sometimes. Its just frustrating. The scene: My husband and I had just perfected our triple turn in the waltz. A nice innocuous move unless your partner turns you right into the shoulder of another man on the third turn! Just the right heighth to hit the back of my head. I never went down! I was squished. Good story! Ya gotta laugh...

• Love 2

My BIL recently suffered a couple of low pulse, low BP fainting-type spells. He's lucky enough to have a good buddy who's a doctor. Doc told him to go get it checked but also told him that they could probably test and test and test some more and still not know what happened. Doc (neurologist) has had same problem. It's more common than any of us realized.

Kind of confirmed my reluctance for too many Dr.s' visits.

So sorry for your concussion, Rhetorica!

Bumps on the head are scary. Be well!

ETA At least you were having fun at the time. Still. Lots to deal with.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 3

I'm sorry to hear about what your going through. Hope things start to get better.
  • Love 3

So I watch Odd Mom Out and it is one of my newest favorite shows. There was an episode with a candle as part of the joke. I had to google it because it was ridiculously priced and thought it was made up. But it's not!! So I ask you New York type people: Do you really spend $455 on a candle???????

http://www.jomalone.com/products/3561/For-the-Home/Luxury-Candles

And I also have to ask: What makes it worth the money???? What does it do???

I wouldn't buy it unless there was a maid and chef attached to it, lol!

• Love 1

So I ask you New York type people: Do you really spend $455 on a candle???????

Native New Yorker here.......and the answer is NO!

I caught Odd Mom Out only a few times and it looks like a good show.  I don't know why I didn't get into it.    I'm pretty sure it will be renewed (if it hasn't been already) so maybe I'll catch up on S1 before they start S2.

I'm going to miss RHONY.   The OC just isn't doing anything for me.  I'll miss snarking with all of you most of all.   The networks will be starting their fall season soon.  Are there any other shows and forums here on PTV that the NY gang are looking forward to this fall?

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2

So I watch Odd Mom Out and it is one of my newest favorite shows. There was an episode with a candle as part of the joke. I had to google it because it was ridiculously priced and thought it was made up. But it's not!! So I ask you New York type people: Do you really spend $455 on a candle???????

http://www.jomalone.com/products/3561/For-the-Home/Luxury-Candles

And I also have to ask: What makes it worth the money???? What does it do???

Like Sonja, they seem to think including the word "luxury" equals it costs more. Other candles without the word luxury are $65 -still too expensive. Edited by Mrs peel
  • Love 1

Ha, well I did do a little research on those candles. I came across this article comparing several types. Jo Malone does have a $65 candle. I guess the $455 is a super duper size.  Apparently Jo Malone is also famous for frangrances. I might try to check them out. I used to be known back in high school for wearing way too much perfume. I was oblivious to how much I wore but I did get comments. In my silly self stage, they just went ppphhhpppp, right over my head, haha. My favorite adult fragrance is J'Adore by Dior. I don't buy it, just sometimes spritz it at the Belk counter. I have found after all this time, perfume gives me a headache! I have to use it sparingly now. I will just put a touch on the back of my neck and that seems to work. But the Jo Malone fragrances sound pretty nifty so I might check them out.

oops here's the link:     http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2592997/Why-posh-candles-money-smoke.html

I had a neighbor for awhile that was a chemist for fragrances and she had mixed for some high end designers. She gave me a candle that she made as a hobby. Best candle ever and after it burned down I put it in baskets, drawers and really just moved that lump of wax around for years because it always smelled great. I finally tossed it because it looked nasty. I'd pay $50 for another but $65 is out of my personal ballpark. Now I want a great smelling candle...

• Love 2

I caught Odd Mom Out only a few times and it looks like a good show. I don't know why I didn't get into it. I'm pretty sure it will be renewed (if it hasn't been already) so maybe I'll catch up on S1 before they start S2.

I'm going to miss RHONY. The OC just isn't doing anything for me. I'll miss snarking with all of you most of all. The networks will be starting their fall season soon. Are there any other shows and forums here on PTV that the NY gang are looking forward to this fall?

I hear you! I'm sad RHONY is over. RHOC is sad this season. I don't watch Atlanta since Kenya's first season. Just RHOBH and Vanderpump rules left. I like Below Deck, it's better than it sounds like it would be.
  • Love 4

I caught Odd Mom Out only a few times and it looks like a good show.  I don't know why I didn't get into it.    I'm pretty sure it will be renewed (if it hasn't been already) so maybe I'll catch up on S1 before they start S2.

I'm going to miss RHONY.   The OC just isn't doing anything for me.  I'll miss snarking with all of you most of all.   The networks will be starting their fall season soon.  Are there any other shows and forums here on PTV that the NY gang are looking forward to this fall?

I have to agree with you, the RHOC just hasn't had anything for me this season other than frustration with the bunch of them for trying to stir things up with each other and create drama for the sake of the cameras. That's certainly not unusual, but this year there's been too much bitter arguing about Brooks Ayers cancer. "does he or doesn't he?"  The whole thing with Meghan,Tamra,  Shannon and the damned psychic and the constant questioning as to whether Brooks has cancer he doesn't and what course of treatment he's chosen to proceed with has become appalling to me. Maybe it's because I have a brother that's in end stage cancer and fighting for life every day. I don't like listening to spoiled, rich, ignorant Orange County reality show housewives tossing around the subject of cancer so casually suggest to Brooks what he should and shouldn't be doing as far as treatment goes. Like Heather said "maybe it's not our business".  And AMEN to that sister, it isn't anyone's business.

I really liked Odd Mom Out and hope to see a new season. I will watch The Affair since I followed it last year even though it was frustrating at times with the 'he said-she said' versions back and forth from present time to past. It felt at times they flashed forward then flashed backwards so much that I even thought they might possibly have flashed sideways. The Leftovers will be starting a new season and I'll probably follow that since I know one of the actors (a nice NY woman) :) The other shows like Shameless and Game of Thrones won't be around until 2016.

Ha, well I did do a little research on those candles. I came across this article comparing several types. Jo Malone does have a $65 candle. I guess the $455 is a super duper size.  Apparently Jo Malone is also famous for frangrances. I might try to check them out. I used to be known back in high school for wearing way too much perfume. I was oblivious to how much I wore but I did get comments. In my silly self stage, they just went ppphhhpppp, right over my head, haha. My favorite adult fragrance is J'Adore by Dior. I don't buy it, just sometimes spritz it at the Belk counter. I have found after all this time, perfume gives me a headache! I have to use it sparingly now. I will just put a touch on the back of my neck and that seems to work. But the Jo Malone fragrances sound pretty nifty so I might check them out.

oops here's the link:     http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2592997/Why-posh-candles-money-smoke.html

Chicagoan here and about $12 or so is the highest I'd pay for a candle at regular price lol! However, I did score a Jo Malone candle at ROSS once $7! Not sure how national ROSS is but it is like Marshall's and TJMaxx. That find reminded me I need to case those kind of stores more often

I'm just wondering (and not sure where to ask this, but this seems right) why one of the Reunion threads is locked?  I'm fairly new around here but haven't come across a locked thread until recently. Want to make sure I don't break any rules too! :D 

Basically, "snark on the show, not each other" and "don't be a dick". In other words, don't get nasty/personal with other posters. It's pretty relaxed around here as long as we don't snipe at each other. I hope that helps some. :)

• Love 3

Basically, "snark on the show, not each other" and "don't be a dick". In other words, don't get nasty/personal with other posters. It's pretty relaxed around here as long as we don't snipe at each other. I hope that helps some. :)

Rules of conduct are an absolute necessity on a forum such as this. A couple of years ago I joined Lipstick Alley and quickly found out that If any person made a negative comment about a particular show, singer or pop culture personality, people would massacre them, cursing and swearing and wishing them dead. Comon' relax girls. So the upholding of the rules of conduct is an absolute must, otherwise it can quickly turn into a battle royale.

• Love 5

Chicago is one of my favorite towns for tv shows, movies, books, and one of my all time favorite Top Chef seasons. Oh haha and also House Hunters. I wonder why there isn't a housewife show set in Chicago? Or a Texas town?

They did have that Dallas Mom/Daughter show for a while.

I think someone else mentioned they looked into a Chicago show but couldn't find enough "interesting" women.  I wonder if part of the problem was they looked Gold Coast (in the city for those who don't know) and on the North Shore suburbs, and no one would agree to be on camera.  I would bet if they looked in Naperville or anywhere in DuPage County they would have found some "interesting" people who would agree to appear!

Edited by Mrs peel
  • Love 1

Bravo's Ladies of London, Season 2, starts Sept. 7. I'd give the time but the mobile site is so cumbersome I gave up. Barely found the date.

The PTV forum is in the Ls.

I didn't pay close attention to the first season but it was fun and the Ladies a bit more gentle and genteel than any Housewives franchise. Plus, it's London!

I missed the Reunion: Part Duh dust-up. And I'm glad.

• Love 2

Bravo's Ladies of London, Season 2, starts Sept. 7. I'd give the time but the mobile site is so cumbersome I gave up. Barely found the date.

The PTV forum is in the Ls.

I didn't pay close attention to the first season but it was fun and the Ladies a bit more gentle and genteel than any Housewives franchise. Plus, it's London!

I missed the Reunion: Part Duh dust-up. And I'm glad.

I didn't watch the first season but I'm going to miss RHONY so much that I'll check it out.

• Love 3

They did have that Dallas Mom/Daughter show for a while.

I think someone else mentioned they looked into a Chicago show but couldn't find enough "interesting" women. I wonder if part of the problem was they looked Gold Coast (in the city for those who don't know) and on the North Shore suburbs, and no one would agree to be on camera. I would bet if they looked in Naperville or anywhere in DuPage County they would have found some "interesting" people who would agree to appear!

Please no to that...