Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, BBHN said:

Good for her. Hopefully she won?

He tried to do the same thing in Scotland with the golf course.   FYI - the US Supreme Court subsequently ruled, in  a case in CT, that the govt could condemn private land for the building of other private property (as opposed to a govt use like a highway), as long as they decided the newly built property would be a benefit/improvement to the community.  

• Love 1

I am curious about Sonja's claim she was a consultant to Trump Hotels because of her expertise in luxury.  Wasn't she just a restaurant hostess who would call powerful men up to have lunch at the restaurant where she worked?  tp://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/social-diary/2011/the-price-of-playing-sonja-morgan  I have a hard time believing Ivana Trump paid any attention to her.

• Love 5

I've always believed that Sonja exaggerated her importance after her husband divorced her. She could ride on his coattails while they were married but once divorced? She was again a nobody and hasn't ever gotten over that. She's just a sad human being now.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I've always believed that Sonja exaggerated her importance after her husband divorced her. She could ride on his coattails while they were married but once divorced? She was again a nobody and hasn't ever gotten over that. She's just a sad human being now.

I agree. For all intents and purposes, she was a hostess.  She wants to pretend she was something more but come on guys, we all know what hostesses are.  The major restaurants have their own marketing people and trust me, they aren't working the door. They might have an occasional greet a VIP but that is rare. 

7 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

I am curious about Sonja's claim she was a consultant to Trump Hotels because of her expertise in luxury.  Wasn't she just a restaurant hostess who would call powerful men up to have lunch at the restaurant where she worked?  tp://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/social-diary/2011/the-price-of-playing-sonja-morgan  I have a hard time believing Ivana Trump paid any attention to her.

Exactly. She is trying to make herself sound important. It is really quite sad. She thought she was going to have this great life, married Morgan, and then it all fell apart. She is grasping at straws of her past life (her heyday, so to speak) instead of just moving on and finding happiness with where she is now in her life.  I see a lot of the same behavior with Ramona but exhibited in a different manner. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

I agree. For all intents and purposes, she was a hostess.  She wants to pretend she was something more but come on guys, we all know what hostesses are.  The major restaurants have their own marketing people and trust me, they aren't working the door. They might have an occasional greet a VIP but that is rare. 

Exactly. She is trying to make herself sound important. It is really quite sad. She thought she was going to have this great life, married Morgan, and then it all fell apart. She is grasping at straws of her past life (her heyday, so to speak) instead of just moving on and finding happiness with where she is now in her life.  I see a lot of the same behavior with Ramona but exhibited in a different manner. 

I used to hostess at an upscale 4 star restaurant owned by Burt Reynolds and frequented by all the movers, shakers, celebs and sports people and no we were not covert prostitutes.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Ki-in said:

I used to hostess at an upscale 4 star restaurant owned by Burt Reynolds and frequented by all the movers, shakers, celebs and sports people and no we were not covert prostitutes.

I wasn't implying that they were prostitutes.  I was stating that they were hostesses that took names and managed seating of customers. I stated that the marketing people (which is what Sonja tries to state that she was) didn't work the door--that is the hostess's job. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, bagger said:

Can anyone's tell me how to block a user or where I can find the instructions?

thanks!

The easy way is to hover your cursor over their screen name until a box shows up with their basic stats.  At the bottom of the box you have 3 options - Message, Ignore User, or Find Content.  Choose "Ignore User" and their posts will be hidden from your view.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

The easy way is to hover your cursor over their screen name until a box shows up with their basic stats.  At the bottom of the box you have 3 options - Message, Ignore User, or Find Content.  Choose "Ignore User" and their posts will be hidden from your view.

Thank yiu

• Love 2
(edited)

But, at the same time, I think children of wealthy parents might fall under the radar because people in those circles are lot more likely to keep "ugly" things private. 

@ghoulina I don't know the stats about well off parents/adults keeping ugly things private as a "group"  (vs my own abusive mother's obsession with secrecy) but I do know abused kids from all backgrounds learn to keep it a secret. The difference is that people (teachers, doctors, caseworkers etc) feel more freedom to step into the lives of poor (and minority) kids (sometimes assuming abuse when none is there) and dump them into a fucked up system. (Not said to negate the good foster parents out there, I know they exist and deserve only praise. But they're also rare -- if I believe what survivors of the system say - and I'm grateful I never had to face that hell on top of everything else. The upper middle class neighborhood I grew up in protected me in ways abused kids stuck in poverty aren't protected -- especially today, where family therapy is often mandated for the well off, and poor kids are swallowed by the system -- and it also gave me the means to a future poor children can't count on having.  All to say - Frankel denying her own privilege is not only unwise -- it's untrue.)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

I also think we have to keep in mind that 'abuse' is a general term that can be used to describe many different things.  A screwed up parent is certainly different from a child who is being molested (Sorry but that just...I don't even have the word).  At least in my mind.  Or parents who keeps a child in a storage room for six years and only brings that child out for sex with a friend (Yep, true, it was on Dr. Phil.  Please don't criticize.  I watch the show once in a while).  Horrific and I don't know how a person gets over that.  This woman is having a horrible time with dealing with her childhood.  Understandable.

But IMO, if a child of a wealthy family is in the same abusive situation as a poor child, the wealthy or well off child does have a better chance because in many instances, the better off child has probably has had the chance of a decent education and not getting swallowed by the system.  Which gives them a better advantage.

There are so many people who have had childhoods that have sucked. Stuff happened.   And many don't talk about it.  It's just like so many women have been date raped and they just don't do anything because they're ashamed.  They feel that somehow it was 'their' fault.  I could get into some politics here but I know I'm not allowed and I respect that.

It's a screwed up world in so many ways.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, breezy424 said:

And many don't talk about it.  It's just like so many women have been date raped and they just don't do anything because they're ashamed.  They feel that somehow it was 'their' fault.  I could get into some politics here but I know I'm not allowed and I respect that.

I agree (with all of your post, actually, just highlighting the above) and since I see poverty itself as a form of abuse (punishing women and children the hardest) there's that added element for me around poor kids in abusive homes. (But that also veers near the political, so I'll leave it at that ; )  

• Love 3
On 5/10/2017 at 2:31 AM, diadochokinesis said:

I know exactly what a hostess is, I was one while in school.  Super easy. My sister is one now at a high end restaurant downtown while pursuing the arts. She gets big tips for doing practically nothing, $20 to check one coat, $100 to seat a couple. A lot of famous people come in. She called me to tell me some "housewives" came in. She doesn't watch, so she tried to describe them.  One was def Bethany and her daughter. She said they were super nice and the daughter, like most of the kids who go there, was well mannered. She also said the bigger tippers were the business men, Wall Street types, etc. 

• Love 4

I don't know if anyone is following the Bachelor in Paradise issue. It appears that one of the women might have been too drunk to consent to sex. They still filmed it anyway. They've since shut down production. The reason I mention this issue is because everyone seems so certain that production wouldn't have let the dude in the Turks and Cacios do anything, but so much of what I've seen from reality TV leads me to believe the exact opposite. 

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I don't know if anyone is following the Bachelor in Paradise issue. It appears that one of the women might have been too drunk to consent to sex. They still filmed it anyway. They've since shut down production. The reason I mention this issue is because everyone seems so certain that production wouldn't have let the dude in the Turks and Cacios do anything, but so much of what I've seen from reality TV leads me to believe the exact opposite. 

According to what you just posted, they filmed the act despite knowing she was too drunk to consent anyway and only shut it down after the fact, which means someone higher up or the woman upon sobering up cried foul and then they shut it down. That still means that production was sleazy enough to not only film it but to allow it to happen in the first place.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

According to what you just posted, they filmed the act despite knowing she was too drunk to consent anyway and only shut it down after the fact, which means someone higher up or the woman upon sobering up cried foul and then they shut it down. That still means that production was sleazy enough to not only film it but to allow it to happen in the first place.

From all of the stories that I've read, it appears that a line producer and some of the other contestants were concerned about how drunk both the man and woman were. The other contestants went to the line producer, who had similar concerns. The line producer went to his or her superior who dismissed their concerns and continued to film the two really intoxicated contestants having a sexual encounter in the hot tub. The next day the line producer filed an employment complaint and that's what halted production. It appears to be along the lines of being subject to a hostile work environment because the line producer had to film a sexual encounter and possible assault with two intoxicated contestants. I'm sure that they would have kept filming but for the employment complaint. It is beyond messed up.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/bachelor-paradise-contestant-thought-fine-article-1.3241151

• Love 4
1 minute ago, HunterHunted said:

From all of the stories that I've read, it appears that a line producer and some of the other contestants were concerned about how drunk both the man and woman were. The other contestants went to the line producer, who had similar concerns. The line producer went to his or her superior who dismissed their concerns and continued to film the two really intoxicated contestants having a sexual encounter in the hot tub. The next day the line producer filed an employment complaint and that's what halted production. It appears to be along the lines of being subject to a hostile work environment because the line producer had to film a sexual encounter and possible assault with two intoxicated contestants. I'm sure that they would have kept filming but for the employment complaint. It is beyond messed up.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/bachelor-paradise-contestant-thought-fine-article-1.3241151

Well at least the line producer has a conscience! As for the HWs, the camera crew left before the unknown male guests left and there was no security at the house, so anything could have happened, anything, from consensual sex, to theft, all the way to rape/murder because those 2 guys were random strangers to all of them. The HW film crew films set hours, they do not stay with the HWs all night long.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Jel said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the "Faded French" manicure? I love it.

Hey Jel:

Go to Forums

The shows are listed in alphabetical order

Go past XYZ

Off Topic

Beauty

Under Beauty there is a thread for Nail Polish. Yay!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, breezy424 said:

What's the faded french manicure?  I'm feeling so old and out of it.

Lol, Breezy, don't feel alone -- I was also old and out of it until about a week ago when I happened, by accident, to see it online!

It's basically a regular french, but with a more intense pink ,and the white and pink polished are sponged, to give it a blended look (not the straight line of the typical french mani).

5 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

Hey Jel:

Go to Forums

The shows are listed in alphabetical order

Go past XYZ

Off Topic

Beauty

Under Beauty there is a thread for Nail Polish. Yay!

Thanks KFB, I'll check that out.

54 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Here are some images of it @breezy424

https://www.google.com/search?q=faded+french+manicure&rlz=1CASMAE_enUS539US539&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwict8qMuubUAhXEQyYKHdgjCYEQsAQIJw&biw=1366&bih=630

Mostly I love any type of colors and styles for manicures. My thing is I am very particular about the shape. I hate the coffin and pointy shapes. Also when they are too long. Nothing beats the right shape when you want to look nice and not ridiculous. 

Full disclosure: I don't get manicures nor do I paint my nails anymore. hahaha I just don't like looking at other women's claws if they aren't what I like.

I alos don't like the coffin shape..not a huge fan of pointy (stiletto) either, I like oval shape and a little longer because I think it makes my hands look less like the angry Hulk's.  The coffin is the mullet of manicures -- make up your mind  -- are you oval or square!  Party on the length business on the ends!

• Love 3

Thanks Jel. Some of them I like.  Others not so much.  I hate the pointy, coffin and square. I'm with you on the oval. 

I've been blessed with great nails and hands.  Ok.  Since getting older the hands still have great bones but there getting a bit wrinkly.  But the nails....never will have to do acrylics.  Other body parts are a whole different conversation. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/29/2017 at 6:26 PM, Jel said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the "Faded French" manicure? I love it.

It's very pretty (not that I'm much of an expert: I don't do manicures - because (regardless of my weight, up or down)) I have the hands of a chubby five year old; stubby fingers, dimpled backs of hands - they look like they should be covered in playdoh - so I just wrote my nails off years ago. I stopped biting them (HUGE VICTORY) but longer nails didn't make my hands look better, so it's an achievement in self improvement without a pay-off.  So annoying.)

I think Streisand has the most beautiful hands ever:

streisand.jpg

"Your girl is lovely, Hubbell -- but my nails? FAB!"

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

Recreational marijuana use has been legalized in Vegas.

Yowsa!

Those hotel rooms are gonna need extra "airing" out

Amsterdam needs to watch out because there is a new weed capitol of the world! Viva Las Vegas!!!

• Love 3

Happy 4th to our independent next door neighbours (did you catch that "U"?)  

---

Pandora bracelets -- yea or nay?

(i'm a yea, with qualifiers)

• Love 2

I actually love fireworks but it's so much work to get there and then get back home.  We could have gone tonight to a great display in front of a club we belong to but the thought of traffic...not so much.  Plus it's a week night. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jel said:

Happy 4th to our independent next door neighbours (did you catch that "U"?)  

---

Pandora bracelets -- yea or nay?

(i'm a yea, with qualifiers)

Happy 4th!  I did about the most American thing possible and had McDonald's delivered for dinner.  LOL. 

Jel-Pandora bracelets...  I'm a yea. I have one. I've been working on it for probably 5 years or so.  My husband and kids give me charms randomly so it is slow going. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

Happy 4th!  I did about the most American thing possible and had McDonald's delivered for dinner.  LOL. 

Jel-Pandora bracelets...  I'm a yea. I have one. I've been working on it for probably 5 years or so.  My husband and kids give me charms randomly so it is slow going. 

I haven't done McDonald's in years but we were on a road trip a few weeks ago and I did it four times - the fries.  No guilt whatsoever.

I don't understand the Pandora bracelets.  Can someone explain?

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

I haven't done McDonald's in years but we were on a road trip a few weeks ago and I did it four times - the fries.  No guilt whatsoever.

I don't understand the Pandora bracelets.  Can someone explain?

It is just a type of charm bracelet except it isn't like dangly charms.  The charms are beads.  Some people will do charms that mean something and others will just go for pretty. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, film noire said:

Been looking at photos online of the silent era and found this shot of Mary Pickford - born in Canada, but America's Sweetheart - a good fit for this week of national birthdays

pickford.jpg

Perfect! 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

I have the same thing going -- mine is sentimental, and I love that.  The problem I have with the "meaningful" charms, which I do love, is some of them are not great looking, whereas the pretty ones really are. I have a friend who goes for pretty with hers, and that's also nice, so I got a second one (the bangle) and will move things around a bit if I want a pretty once.  The clasp charms are great for that.

They are a bloody nuisance to wear at airports because they have to come off to go through the metal detector and if you forget, there's some evil eye-ing that takes place as you remove yours, then have to bend over to pick up the charms that have now fallen on the floor because you (okay, *I*!) didn't think it out ahead of time.  

Here is the site for those who are unfamiliar with them.

http://www.pandora.net/en-ca

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Jel said:

I have the same thing going -- mine is sentimental, and I love that.  The problem I have with the "meaningful" charms, which I do love, is some of them are not great looking, whereas the pretty ones really are. I have a friend who goes for pretty with hers, and that's also nice, so I got a second one (the bangle) and will move things around a bit if I want a pretty once.  The clasp charms are great for that.

They are a bloody nuisance to wear at airports because they have to come off to go through the metal detector and if you forget, there's some evil eye-ing that takes place as you remove yours, then have to bend over to pick up the charms that have now fallen on the floor because you (okay, *I*!) didn't think it out ahead of time.  

I'm weird about jewelry when flying on planes. I really only wear my rings. If the plane crashes and you are caught in a fire, the metal will super heat and cause severe burns. I tend to just pack the rest of my jewelry. 

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

I'm weird about jewelry when flying on planes. I really only wear my rings. If the plane crashes and you are caught in a fire, the metal will super heat and cause severe burns. I tend to just pack the rest of my jewelry. 

I could read your posts all day long. About almost anything. You just know so much stuff. 

1 hour ago, Jel said:

This is so funny. I fly a lot for work. Almost every week. I was talking with others who travel a lot and we were all telling the things about other flyers that drive us mad. One person said that they have come to hate the "Pandora People". I usually try to get in the security line that has the fewest kids, because - no fault of them or their parents - they are going to slow stuff down. This gal said she looks for Pandora bracelets on the arms of the people in front of her and picks another line if possible. Completely cracked me up. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

I could read your posts all day long. About almost anything. You just know so much stuff. 

This is so funny. I fly a lot for work. Almost every week. I was talking with others who travel a lot and we were all telling the things about other flyers that drive us mad. One person said that they have come to hate the "Pandora People". I usually try to get in the security line that has the fewest kids, because - no fault of them or their parents - they are going to slow stuff down. This gal said she looks for Pandora bracelets on the arms of the people in front of her and picks another line if possible. Completely cracked me up. 

LOL.  Nah, I have family that worked for the airlines (pilot and flight attendant) so they drilled into my head from a very young age certain things to do to improve your chances of surviving a plane accident. 

I love my Pandora bracelet but I will say that those things take too long to put back on. I hate the clasp. I have it down to a science on how to efficiently get in and through security. If I'm in the US, I wear shoes that are slip on/off type shoes (Middle East lets you keep your shoes on). I have everything in one bag and no metal besides my rings (which don't set off alarms). It is usually me with 2 kids (sometimes my husband is there but not always) and I can get all 3 of us (my youngest is 15 months so I just strap him to me) through the security line in a flash. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Damn it! I thought you were going to tell me how to get the MF'ing bracelet back on quickly! 

Nope. Have yet to be able to figure it out. I wish they would redo the clasp into something easier. I can never seem to get the one end lined up exactly in the other end at the correct angle for the clasp to be able to snap down. If the angle is slightly off, it won't snap down.  Drives me bananas. 

On 7/2/2017 at 0:14 PM, Ki-in said:

Amsterdam needs to watch out because there is a new weed capitol of the world! Viva Las Vegas!!!

The difference is there are cafes in Amsterdam that you can toke in. In Vegas it will not be allowed to be smoked in hotels, motels or public places. In home recreational use only. Still, like cigarette smoking, if there's a will there's a way. LOL they wouldn't open up a place like Amsterdam's cafes because who then would be filling the casinos! 

On 7/4/2017 at 11:35 PM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Happy 4th. So tired of fireworks ... as are the Ninjadogs, poor things.  

My cats are now just coming out from under the beds! I heard them for 4 nights in a row. Each session lasted over a hour. I went outside to look for them but sorry to say never saw who was having all the fun. 

• Love 3
On 7/5/2017 at 10:34 AM, diadochokinesis said:

I also try to wear natural fabrics (no plastics) etc for the same reasons. A natural fabric won't "melt" into your skin. 

• Love 2