Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Regency Bar

• Start Topic

Earlier we were discussing Lizzie Grubman who is Carole's PR rep. Strangely, Grubman's name came up on a podcast, Watch What Crappens, where they discussed Grubman's failed reality show, PoweR Girls on MTV. It was structured like The Apprentice and the contestants were vying for a job. I found myself checking Lizzie's Wikipedia page. Did you know that she attended 4 different private preparatory high schools? How does someone get kicked out of that many schools? She went to Horace Mann, Lenox, and Dwight. That alone should have been a sign that she was a nightmare.

On 10/28/2016 at 11:51 AM, Sun-Bun said:

So according to all the gossip sites on the upcoming season, fallen socialite extraordinaire Tinsley Mortimer is joining the cast:

http://www.realmrhousewife.com/2016/10/25/rhony-new-cast-member-revealed/

If this is indeed true, I'm beyond thrilled!! I always was a fan of Tinsley's fame-whorey ways and how thirsty yet beloved she was back in the mid-to-late aught's---she was actually well-liked for her sweet Southern ways and her love of color and glitter and vampy glam style in NYC. She hung with the fabulosity fashion crowd a'la Kelly Bensimon and supposedly competed for gossip page/photo mentions with Olivia Palermo as OP's own society star rose((she's another one I sincerely wish would join this cast, especially since she was so delightfully bitchy on "The City")).

When Tinsley got divorced and moved to Palm Beach her life sorta unraveled and she lost her Manhattan social rank, so joining this cast would actually be a wise move for her, especially since she was just on bazaar.com claiming she wants a "comeback" to the scene. She has the potential to be a weepy mess, so this might be the perfect addition to this cast!

I ran right over!  Here is another juicy link.  They just re-aired her Dr. Phil show and while I was seeing what she was up to I ran across this from the fall.

• Love 1
On 12/5/2016 at 6:35 PM, HunterHunted said:

Earlier we were discussing Lizzie Grubman who is Carole's PR rep. Strangely, Grubman's name came up on a podcast, Watch What Crappens, where they discussed Grubman's failed reality show, PoweR Girls on MTV. It was structured like The Apprentice and the contestants were vying for a job. I found myself checking Lizzie's Wikipedia page. Did you know that she attended 4 different private preparatory high schools? How does someone get kicked out of that many schools? She went to Horace Mann, Lenox, and Dwight. That alone should have been a sign that she was a nightmare.

Is that where Jacqueline's daughter Ashley did her internship?

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Lola16 said:

Is that where Jacqueline's daughter Ashley did her internship?

It is. Lizzie was/is(???) a legit terrible person, but she's got money and connections. Ashlee was bombing out of her internship because she didn't always show for work and left when she wanted to.

Ashlee also worked for Buzznet when she lived in California.

• Love 1

Ramona's recent invention of the word hodgit (aka hatchet) makes me wish we still had a comparative housewives area. I'll see people make jokes about whatever new mispronunciation in the episode thread, but it never occurs to me to go over to New Jersey to add the word to the dictionary thread. For whatever reason, most of those topics seemed to end up with New Jersey. 

I would love it if we also had a housewives tropes topic. The shows have been on for so long that they now have their own tropes and cliches. My favorites happen to be the "I hate you lunch" where two wives sit down to hash out their differences, but it devolves into screaming and "psychic shitstirrer" where the wives consult a psychic to use the psychic's "gifts, powers, abilities, vibes" to talk shit about another wife. Prime examples are when they used the psychic to say he didn't get the sense that Brooks had cancer or when Ramona asked the psychic if Dorinda would stay with John.

• Love 3
On 4/22/2017 at 2:27 PM, HunterHunted said:

Ramona's recent invention of the word hodgit (aka hatchet) makes me wish we still had a comparative housewives area. I'll see people make jokes about whatever new mispronunciation in the episode thread, but it never occurs to me to go over to New Jersey to add the word to the dictionary thread. For whatever reason, most of those topics seemed to end up with New Jersey. 

I would love it if we also had a housewives tropes topic. The shows have been on for so long that they now have their own tropes and cliches. My favorites happen to be the "I hate you lunch" where two wives sit down to hash out their differences, but it devolves into screaming and "psychic shitstirrer" where the wives consult a psychic to use the psychic's "gifts, powers, abilities, vibes" to talk shit about another wife. Prime examples are when they used the psychic to say he didn't get the sense that Brooks had cancer or when Ramona asked the psychic if Dorinda would stay with John.

Yes!  Wasn't there also a psychic who threw some shade at Ramona about Mario?  And let's not forget the greatest shit-stirring psycho psychic of all time, Allison Dubois!

• Love 3

So I brought the discussion over her.

The wife and I had a short lived reality series on TLC after being on What Not to Wear about 30 times. The crew had worked on all of the Housewife shows as well as House Hunters, What Not to Wear and various Top Chef things.

The thing about the crews  is their job situation is not stable. They are always looking for the next gig. They get a job on an ad hoc basis and are always being called in to cover here and there. The camera, sound and makeup people had done all the Housewives and loved to gossip.

Jill, Ramona and Bethenny were despised by most of them. Luann and Alex got good reviews by and large. By far the most popular was Caroline Manzo who had the touch when dealing with people. Theresa and her whole family were not popular in the least with the working stiffs. They were just pains in the ass.

I spent most of the time with the crew. I had to cheer them up all the time because the producer was a scumbag. So I would bring in a pizza or cannolis or donuts or something to cheer everyone up. Had a cooler with some beers at the end of the shoot. So I got the straight poop most of the time.

I always judge people by how they treat the waiter. How they treat the crew.

That is why I despise Carole and Bethenny.

• Love 18

LET'S GO RANGERS! 

Trooper York, how can one be on What Not to Wear 30 times? Aren't the subjects one and done? I'm not quite getting the connection, other than TLC sought to give you some sort of an offshoot of that show, possibly? Can you elaborate without outing yourself (don't have to name the show, I'm more curious about the "30 times" angle). 

TIA, 

Nosy Sew :)

• Love 4

Thanks for the scoop, Trooper York!  I always love hearing the behind-the-scenes info.  That's disappointing about Jill.  I had hoped she treated people better.  Sigh.

I guess no matter what line of work you're in, you'll be dealing with assholes.  I'm a dental hygienist and I've worked for several dentists over the years.  I've got the scoop on several of them, and the local folks of said dentists would be shocked at what I know!  One dentist was a bitch to work with.  She'd put on that fake smile for the patients though.   One patient excitedly exclaimed to me how much fun Dr. Bitch would be to work with.  I said nothing.  I think that in itself spoke volumes. 

• Love 4

They came to my store with subjects to dress. So much so they gave us a show. Unfortunately by the time it came to fruition make over shows had become passé. WNTW was canceled the next year. It became all about competitive cooking. It goes in waves.

• Love 8

Yes. My wife and Stacy are very good friends. She was over the other night for dinner with her new puppy Dora. 

I was lucky she only pissed on the rug twice.

Dora.

Not Stacy. 

She has been a little under the weather recently having had spine surgery so if you send her good wishes on Social Media she will appreciate it. She is recovering from back surgery and is on the mend. Looks really good and healthy. She passed by the store Tuesday walking Dora and is really looking good.

• Love 12
(edited)
2 hours ago, Trooper York said:

The thing about the crews  is their job situation is not stable. They are always looking for the next gig. They get a job on an ad hoc basis and are always being called in to cover here and there. The camera, sound and makeup people had done all the Housewives and loved to gossip.

Jill, Ramona and Bethenny were despised by most of them. Luann and Alex got good reviews by and large. By far the most popular was Caroline Manzo who had the touch when dealing with people. Theresa and her whole family were not popular in the least with the working stiffs. They were just pains in the ass.

2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Thanks for the scoop, Trooper York!  I always love hearing the behind-the-scenes info.  That's disappointing about Jill.  I had hoped she treated people better.  Sigh.

Ditto, thank you for the info! I, too, rather figured Jill would be OK to deal with on a quasi-professional level if only because she and Bawby are in the retail service industry and should be comfortable dealing with personalities, problems and delays (one would think).  Conversely, in a social setting with people she feels don't measure up, I totally see JZ being a pit viper.

Glad that Alex wasn't difficult. Did anyone ever mention Simon?

Edited by steelcitysister
  • Love 3
On 9/24/2016 at 3:59 PM, NewDigs said:

Been feeling really giffy today so please bear with me. These came up when I was looking for "reunion hug".

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Awww. Kitties!

OMG.  That baby stretching his toes is giving me the feels.  SOOOO adorable!

• Love 11
(edited)
2 hours ago, Trooper York said:

Yes. My wife and Stacy are very good friends. She was over the other night for dinner with her new puppy Dora. 

I was lucky she only pissed on the rug twice.

Dora.

Not Stacy. 

She has been a little under the weather recently having had spine surgery so if you send her good wishes on Social Media she will appreciate it. She is recovering from back surgery and is on the mend. Looks really good and healthy. She passed by the store Tuesday walking Dora and is really looking good.

I will. I loved her late night show on Friday as well as WNTW.

It is nice to hear that she is genuine and not an undercover bitch like Ellen.

1 hour ago, steelcitysister said:

Ditto, thank you for the info! I, too, rather figured Jill would be OK to deal with on a quasi-professional level if only because she and Bawby are in the retail service industry and should be comfortable dealing with personalities, problems and delays (one would think).  Conversely, in a social setting with people she feels don't measure up, I totally see JZ being a pit viper.

Glad that Alex wasn't difficult. Did anyone ever mention Simon?

I met Jil Zarin at Lord and Taylor in an elevator. She was horrid to the staff.

Edited by LIMOM
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, LIMOM said:

I met Jil Zarin at Lord and Taylor in an elevator. She was horrid to the staff.

In an elevator? Good grief, how does one manage that -- knock the attendant out of the way and punch all the buttons?

• Love 9
8 hours ago, steelcitysister said:

In an elevator? Good grief, how does one manage that -- knock the attendant out of the way and punch all the buttons?

It was a charity event and she was promoting her underwear line. I happened to be in the elevator when she got on with the store manager and her assistant and maybe a publicist, she was super late and she was was just so rude and stuck up. I have to say she looked better in real life. Her skin looked great and she was very fit.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Trooper York said:

They came to my store with subjects to dress. So much so they gave us a show. Unfortunately by the time it came to fruition make over shows had become passé. WNTW was canceled the next year. It became all about competitive cooking. It goes in waves.

Thanks!

...and WOW! SHOCKED hearing the crew was not happy with Bethenny. She appears so different on camera with her Driver, her Skinny Girl team, SK marketing team and even when she introduced LuAnn to the limo driver years ago.

Would love to know the details.  

Bethenny sounds like two completely different people.......

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Martinigirl said:

Thanks!

...and WOW! SHOCKED hearing the crew was not happy with Bethenny. She appears so different on camera with her Driver, her Skinny Girl team, SK marketing team and even when she introduced LuAnn to the limo driver years ago.

Would love to know the details.  

Bethenny sounds like two completely different people.......

At the end of the day, Beth went to boarding school and was raised privileged on Long Island. She might talk a good game however she is just like Jill which is why they got along so well imo.

She is not stupid and she already knew more about the reality TV game (from celebrities apprentice)

She stuck to her victim persona and knew not to come across as a shrew, imo.

• Love 4

Ok from servers Bethenny and Jill get high marks. Bethenny gets the highest. Why? They tip well and are clear up front about their expectations. Negotiate to get what they want. And are willing to pay for the privilege. Bethenny actually stands up for what she thinks the servers need to do a better job, like food placement, traffic flow on the room etc. Jill has notes from the contract and brings those with her so she's not pulling things out of her ass. No, we said x, y, z.  Both show up well before the event so no crazy stuff while guests are arriving.

The worst? Carolyn Manzo, only topped by her progeny.  Cheap, cheap, cheap.  Expectations for servers to be security and janitors.  Only one experience for Theresa and that was handled by her people exclusively. I have no Carole, Luann, Kelly stories. Dorinda is normal UES so everyone knows they only talk to the lead or management. Very normal stuff.  

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

Ok from servers Bethenny and Jill get high marks. Bethenny gets the highest. Why? They tip well and are clear up front about their expectations. Negotiate to get what they want. And are willing to pay for the privilege. Bethenny actually stands up for what she thinks the servers need to do a better job, like food placement, traffic flow on the room etc. Jill has notes from the contract and brings those with her so she's not pulling things out of her ass. No, we said x, y, z.  Both show up well before the event so no crazy stuff while guests are arriving.

The worst? Carolyn Manzo, only topped by her progeny.  Cheap, cheap, cheap.  Expectations for servers to be security and janitors.  Only one experience for Theresa and that was handled by her people exclusively. I have no Carole, Luann, Kelly stories. Dorinda is normal UES so everyone knows they only talk to the lead or management. Very normal stuff.  

Carolyn is cheap? Interesting.

I know several people who have worked with and for Bethenny, including former production crew, and they had nothing bad to say about her, so who knows? Everyone had a universally bad impression of Jill. Weirdly I've seen Jill 3x in the city and all 3 times were either in or right outside of Lord and Taylor. She must love it there!

I worked with Alex on something and she was a total delight. Very hard worker. Of course, I had the exact same experience with Nene which people seem to be shocked by on the regular. Total professional. 

• Love 8

I agree that everyone has a different perspective. I can only go by what the guys I met told me. Of course they could be bullshitting. They could have been at fault in the situation.

People also change over time. When they first start out they might be very accommodating and then as they get more money and power they might morph into monsters. These guys only dealt with them in the early years and had not worked with Carole, Heather or Dorinda. 

I just have to say. I have met a lot of bad people in my life as a knockaround guy in Brooklyn. I met killers and burglars and crooked cops and Mafia capos. The worst of the worst from Punchy to Roy DeMaio. And of all the terrible people I have ever met in my life......none of them were as bad as the people who work in TV.

• Love 5
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Trooper York said:

I agree that everyone has a different perspective. I can only go by what the guys I met told me. Of course they could be bullshitting. They could have been at fault in the situation.

People also change over time. When they first start out they might be very accommodating and then as they get more money and power they might morph into monsters. These guys only dealt with them in the early years and had not worked with Carole, Heather or Dorinda. 

I just have to say. I have met a lot of bad people in my life as a knockaround guy in Brooklyn. I met killers and burglars and crooked cops and Mafia capos. The worst of the worst from Punchy to Roy DeMaio. And of all the terrible people I have ever met in my life......none of them were as bad as the people who work in TV.

OMG! How sad is that?!  Jebus! Who the hell do they think they are?  They are on a dang reality show.  They need to get over themselves!

Edited by Martinigirl
  • Love 1

It's not the workers. The blue collar guys and dolls. They were the best.

It is the producers and the executives. They lie cheat and steal at a rate only seen on pirate ships of the 1700's.

The line producer abused the staff and crew so much that they were beaten down like abused dogs in Lisa Vanderpumps shelter. I had all I could do to keep the morale up and people pulling together. I couldn't understand how anyone could run a business like that. Then I realized something. This is the reason why so many shows fail. 

I am sure the crew on Real Housewives of New York suffer the tortures of the damned. 

That must be the reason why there is so much turnover. There are always young starry eyed new victims. Shame really.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Trooper York said:

It is the producers and the executives. They lie cheat and steal at a rate only seen on pirate ships of the 1700's.

The line producer abused the staff and crew so much that they were beaten down like abused dogs in Lisa Vanderpumps shelter. I had all I could do to keep the morale up and people pulling together. I couldn't understand how anyone could run a business like that. Then I realized something. This is the reason why so many shows fail. 

I am sure the crew on Real Housewives of New York suffer the tortures of the damned. 

That must be the reason why there is so much turnover. There are always young starry eyed new victims. Shame really.

HBO Entourage comes to mind

• Love 4

I do think, because of her professional role in journalism and production, Carole has more insight into politics than the average person.  I totally give her that.  I've had a little participation in politics and...well.. it's mind blowing.  I also think she was extremely passionate about the election.  The reality is that most people don't look beyond the headlines and bullshit that 'politics' is all about.  I don't do twitter and apparently some of her tweets come off as having more to do with emotion rather than insight.   And that's not journalism.

I don't want to cross any lines here about politics but I'm going to get on the soap box.  I will say that Carole as well as myself have been listening to Trump long before he became a national celebrity.  New Yorkers and the NY metropolitan area have been listening to him and his BS for decades.  He was going to save Atlantic City.  Yeah, how many of his casinos have bankrupt.  I get that people want a savior of sorts.  Ken in the red sweater who worked in the coal industry?  I get Carole attitude.  It's like really?  Trump?  Daddy gave him how many millions to 'start' his career?  He hasn't a clue.

Heck.  I've watched this guy for decades.  The video of him and Billy Bush was the icing on the cake for me.  I have a daughter.  Just no.  Say what you will about Bill Clinton but Hillary Clinton is not Bill Clinton.  I get the attitude Carole, as well as Heather, had.

Ok.  A lot of politics here but do we not all agree that the woman's march was one of the most fantastic things to be a part of or see on TV?  Well, except for Madonna and her ignorant comments.  I don't know if Carole participated but I hope she did.  Off the box.  Sorry mods.

• Love 11
57 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

I don't want to cross any lines here about politics but I'm going to get on the soap box.  I will say that Carole as well as myself have been listening to Trump long before he became a national celebrity.  New Yorkers and the NY metropolitan area have been listening to him and his BS for decades.  He was going to save Atlantic City.  Yeah, how many of his casinos have bankrupt.  I get that people want a savior of sorts.  Ken in the red sweater who worked in the coal industry?  I get Carole attitude.  It's like really?  Trump?  Daddy gave him how many millions to 'start' his career?  He hasn't a clue.

This is true. He has been a local joke for years. Everyone living in the northeast knew he was an exaggerator and liar about things like his accomplishments, his net worth and how much he gave to charity.  He was the village idiot of Manhattan. It all felt like common knowledge.  So it's not surprising at all that Carole found it hard to believe there were people in the country that would fall for his incredible bullshit. She was not alone on this. 

2 hours ago, Atlanta said:

. A lot of people follow the news and check a variety of sources and are informed. Carole doesn't own the franchise on that.

Most people don't . 

• Love 11
(edited)
On 5/7/2017 at 2:10 AM, Trooper York said:

Wait, I think I know the show!  I used to watch it!

Edited by diadochokinesis
Removed the name of the show
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Yes, I think this is exactly why so many of us who have lived in NYC had so much disbelief - Carole wasn't alone in that. 

• Love 9
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Otherkate said:

Yes, I think this is exactly why so many of us who have lived in NYC had so much disbelief - Carole wasn't alone in that. 

Does anyone remember Vera Coking? He tried to use "eminent domain" to bulldoze her home so that he could build his parking lot

5240bc18ef840.image.jpg

Edited by KungFuBunny
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Trooper York said:

Sorry Trooper...I hit your name instead of the quote. Not being nosy and did not stay long enough to peek. I was going to quote the name of the show the other poster mentioned. Gave me a few seconds to realize that it's really none of my business so will not respond to OP.  Sometimes accidents happen for a reason. :)

p.s. Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes scuttlebutt.  

• Love 3

Are Pennsylvania and Georgia really considered "flyover" states? This is news to me. 

11 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Do you think Ramona will ever become more self-aware? She's so arrogant and smug and condescending.

Or do you think, deep down, she realizes that she's overcompensating for enormous insecurities and low self esteem?

Dare I say that Ramona is quite Trump-like in that regard? Ramona is in love with her own fabulousness. She can't see that inviting a date to your birthday party only to turn your back on him is atrocious behavior. His shoes were ugly--*cackle, cackle, cackle*--therefore she was justified.

Can I also just speak up this "coastal elite" narrative that has run rampant for some time now? It's so dismissive to think that somehow only someone in Indiana or South Dakota or Oklahoma or Kentucky can know about what it means to be a "real" American, which is certainly the implication when "coastal elite" is wielded like an expletive. There are economically depressed cities in California (hello, Oakland and Long Beach and Sacramento); there are economically depressed areas within New York City (like, we're going to pretend that Brownsville and East New York don't exist?); I live in DC, and east of the Anacostia, especially, isn't fairing so well. That didn't just happen starting January 20, 2009, either.

• Love 10
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, Trooper York said:

So I brought the discussion over her.

The wife and I had a short lived reality series on TLC after being on What Not to Wear about 30 times. The crew had worked on all of the Housewife shows as well as House Hunters, What Not to Wear and various Top Chef things.

I spent most of the time with the crew. I had to cheer them up all the time because the producer was a scumbag. So I would bring in a pizza or cannolis or donuts or something to cheer everyone up. Had a cooler with some beers at the end of the shoot. So I got the straight poop most of the time.

I always judge people by how they treat the waiter. How they treat the crew.

That is why I despise Carole and Bethenny.

Ok so you only hate the housewives who are shitty to the crew.  So what exactly did Carole do to them to inspire your intense hatred of her?  I'm not trying to be argumentative.  I'm honestly, truly curious!  I don't see her name listed amongst those who the crew hated. 

I was obsessed with What not to Wear, so of course I remember your store and your show. Nice to hear that Alex is a good egg like a suspected! 

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

Does anyone remember Vera Coking? He tried to use "eminent domain" to bulldoze her home so that he could build his parking lot

5240bc18ef840.image.jpg

Are we allowed to start another thread to discuss this?  I'd love to but don't want to get nicked for going further off topic.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ryebread said:

Are we allowed to start another thread to discuss this?  I'd love to but don't want to get nicked for going further off topic.

If I recall correctly, this lady had a house and wouldn't sell. Another casino owner, had to build around her. At one point her little house was squished in between. The original casino owner went bust - wasn't he the owner of Penthouse or Hustler? Then Trump bought the building and he and his smarmy lawyers tried to use the eminent domain law to push her out. It was a crock o doo doo as this was a government ordinance and they weren't building a highway, or airport or train station for the city's "public use".

• Love 6

It is not so much what you see on the show although you can see some of it in their interactions with various boat drivers and waiters. It is more what I hear from the crew who I run into now and again in the intervening years. They come by to get stuff and we catch up.

I don't think it is fair to blow up their spot by citing specific instances because these guys are on the edge and I don't want to cost them a gig by shooting off my mouth.

Suffice it to say that they are uniformly condescending and contemptuous of the working stiff. I think you can tell that by how they are filmed. When the crew does not like you the lighting and posting is just horrible. Check out how they are portrayed. When they cut the show they can only use the footage they have. If it is not there they can't use it. 

• Love 1

Ok fair enough.  Have to say I am surprised you wouldn't want to take an opportunity to share at least one specific instance of how horrifically Carole or Beth have behaved.  It's not like any of us (or 99.8%) know who these crew members are, or that they couldn't be kept 100% anonymous.  But that's cool. Thanks for sharing what you did. 

• Love 3

If I recall correctly, this lady had a house and wouldn't sell. Another casino owner, had to build around her. At one point her little house was squished in between. The original casino owner went bust - wasn't he the owner of Penthouse or Hustler? Then Trump bought the building and he and his smarmy lawyers tried to use the eminent domain law to push her out. It was a crock o doo doo as this was a government ordinance and they weren't building a highway, or airport or train station for the city's "public use".

Good for her. Hopefully she won?

• Love 3