Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Cabana

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Today I received something in the mail from the animal hospital where we had our cat put down.  In it was a letter and a separate page with a poem called 'The Rainbow Bridge'.  At the bottom of the poem was a paw print that they took from her before she was put down.  They did take her to the back to put in the line and I guess that's when they did it.  It was so special and I'm so grateful.  Of course I cried all over again and then I showed it to my daughter when she got home and we cried all over again.  Just when you're moving on, you get thrown back, but it was worth it.  My daughter and I will treasure this memory of her.

I don't know if many places do this but it was my first experience when putting a pet down.  Again, it meant so much.  Just thought I'd share because I know many of you can relate.

That is just beautiful. You are lucky that your cat had such loving care, right until the very end.

I had such an opposite situation this year that had me shaking. Last year, right before Thanksgiving, we had to put our beloved dog down due to kidney failure. We mourned the loss all during the holiday season and beyond. Several months later we got an email reminder from the very vet that put her down telling us it was time for her to receive her annual vaccinations. It was a happy email reminding us how important our pets are and that we shouldn't neglect their needs. I was crying as I called the vet to remind them that she didn't need any vaccinations from them, what with her being dead and all. They were very embarrassed and apologetic, but I changed vets anyway. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

That is just beautiful. You are lucky that your cat had such loving care, right until the very end.

I had such an opposite situation this year that had me shaking. Last year, right before Thanksgiving, we had to put our beloved dog down due to kidney failure. We mourned the loss all during the holiday season and beyond. Several months later we got an email reminder from the very vet that put her down telling us it was time for her to receive her annual vaccinations. It was a happy email reminding us how important our pets are and that we shouldn't neglect their needs. I was crying as I called the vet to remind them that she didn't need any vaccinations from them, what with her being dead and all. They were very embarrassed and apologetic, but I changed vets anyway. 

Aww, I am so sorry that happened to you. Our former vet did something similar 4 years after we left him. We had a disagreement with his staff and were forced to find a new vet and fell in love with them. They, new vet, helped keep our beloved Newf, Garrison, alive for 4 years (he passed at 12 1/2 years old which is ancient for his breed!) and we never heard a word from our old vet until after we lost Garrison, which was 2 years after he needed his vaccines, I was so upset!

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Aww, I am so sorry that happened to you. Our former vet did something similar 4 years after we left him. We had a disagreement with his staff and were forced to find a new vet and fell in love with them. They, new vet, helped keep our beloved Newf, Garrison, alive for 4 years (he passed at 12 1/2 years old which is ancient for his breed!) and we never heard a word from our old vet until after we lost Garrison, which was 2 years after he needed his vaccines, I was so upset!

That totally sucks. Seems like some of these people are in the wrong business, doesn't it? 

• Love 4

I shouldn't laugh walnutqueen but I did.

When I put my 16 year old Lab down, I brought a sausage biscuit. He happily snacked and was distracted as the vet was doing her thing. A good friend gave me the suggestion, which she used with her cat's euthanasia. I also had the vet snip some of his curly fur for me to take away. They weren't doing the paw print thing back then.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I shouldn't laugh walnutqueen but I did.

When I put my 16 year old Lab down, I brought a sausage biscuit. He happily snacked and was distracted as the vet was doing her thing. A good friend gave me the suggestion, which she used with her cat's euthanasia. I also had the vet snip some of his curly fur for me to take away. They weren't doing the paw print thing back then.

You SHOULD laugh, always & 4ever  Otherwise, the tragedy of life might overwhelm you.

• Love 5

Breezy, Walnut Queen and everyone else who has lived with tragedy lately, I am so sorry to read about your losses as well as your attempts to adjust without your loved ones.  I've been there.  After losing my parents and several family members, plus my two fur babies, my dearest brother died two months ago, far too young. 

But this is not supposed to be about me.  All of us suffer tragedies.  Maybe that's to remind us of how many blessings we have and not to take them lightly.  Who knows?  The point is that we here are supportive of one another and will be here for each other in good times and in bad.   My fervent hope is that the sting of grief will fade away and that someday soon you will tell stories about your loved ones that will bring you joy again.  Those stories help to keep our loved ones alive and with us in our hearts.  That day will come.  Be patient with yourselves. 

Warmest hugs and deepest sympathy.

"Tears are the heart's way of washing our windows so that we can see life in all of its beauty again."

Edited by Lura
  • Love 9
On 1/10/2017 at 2:58 PM, tvfanatic13 said:

So sorry to all of you who have lost your beloved fur babies. My dog is getting older, and is starting to have health problems and I now know that when the inevitable happens, I have my fellow PTVers to lean on.

YES!  You do.  So many of us 'get' it. 

• Love 2
On 1/11/2017 at 7:05 AM, walnutqueen said:

OK - that fucking Rainbow Bridge letter?  Been the recipient thereof too many times.  When the cat cremation place gives you a frequent flyer discount, come sit next to me.

That kind of sucks as a response WQ.  We go back a long time and understanding with each as to what each other are going through. 

Maybe you have been the recipient thereof too many times for you  but it hasn't been for 'me'.  You may be a 'frequent flyer' but I haven't been.  It meant a lot to me and I don't discount it.  It meant a lot to me and having that 'paw' print will always be precious.    

Edited by breezy424
19 hours ago, breezy424 said:

That kind of sucks as a response WQ.  We go back a long time and understanding with each other are going through. 

Maybe you have been the recipient thereof too many times for you  but it hasn't been for 'me'.  You may be a 'frequent flyer' but I haven't been.  It meant a lot to me and I don't discount it.  It meant a lot to me and having that 'paw' print will always be precious.    

As someone who also lost a cat at the end of November (way too young, mouth cancer) I think those letters are sweet.  Mine doesn't send the Rainbow Bridge letter but they send a letter that they have donated money in the cat/dogs name.  We got our letter right before Xmas and it is still sitting unopened.  I cannot read it since losing my Gidget was awful.  We got another kitty since Gidget's buddy Riggs was very sad.  Little Pippi has wormed her way into Riggs heart and he seems happy.  No longer looking for Gidge.  Of course Mr. Natalie and I are totally smitten as well.  It is never easy.  We had 4 cats a little over a year ago and it went to 2.  Now we are back to 3 and it seems right.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

As someone who also lost a cat at the end of November (way too young, mouth cancer) I think those letters are sweet.  Mine doesn't send the Rainbow Bridge letter but they send a letter that they have donated money in the cat/dogs name.  We got our letter right before Xmas and it is still sitting unopened.  I cannot read it since losing my Gidget was awful.  We got another kitty since Gidget's buddy Riggs was very sad.  Little Pippi has wormed her way into Riggs heart and he seems happy.  No longer looking for Gidge.  Of course Mr. Natalie and I are totally smitten as well.  It is never easy.  We had 4 cats a little over a year ago and it went to 2.  Now we are back to 3 and it seems right.

Yeah, I understand.  I didn't want to open that envelope either.  It's so nice to hear that you've gotten a companion for your other cats and it's working out.  I know my guy isn't ready for that.  He loved our girl but he's very territorial.  He still will not go on places or into rooms that were hers (she didn't care at all).  It's just his personality.

What meant the most to us was that they did take a paw print from her and put it at the bottom on the poem.  They said in their letter it was an actual paw print and I know it was.  She had very small paws and I know that print from the times when she would walk through or on something that left prints.  That was so special.

Nope.  It's never easy.  And thanks for sharing. 

• Love 3

I adore the Rainbow Bridge poem and cry every time......but it is sweet.    I had a copy of it in my paperwork folder when my husband passed away a couple of years ago, as we both liked it and got comfort from it.   My priest had never read it and asked if he could make a copy, as he was quite touched by it also.      I surely don't want a "stack" of them to keep count of the losses, but I find it very valuable. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Yeah, I understand.  I didn't want to open that envelope either.  It's so nice to hear that you've gotten a companion for your other cats and it's working out.  I know my guy isn't ready for that.  He loved our girl but he's very territorial.  He still will not go on places or into rooms that were hers (she didn't care at all).  It's just his personality.

What meant the most to us was that they did take a paw print from her and put it at the bottom on the poem.  They said in their letter it was an actual paw print and I know it was.  She had very small paws and I know that print from the times when she would walk through or on something that left prints.  That was so special.

Nope.  It's never easy.  And thanks for sharing. 

I think I would have liked a paw print.  I know we will open the envelope at some point but we are still too raw.  Pippi was cleaning Riggs (picture a 4lb kitten cleaning a 20lb giant cat) yesterday.  Very sweet.  Its a bad club to be part of :(.

• Love 3
On 01/11/2017 at 10:24 PM, breezy424 said:

That kind of sucks as a response WQ.  We go back a long time and understanding with each as to what each other are going through. 

Sorry if I offended you, but my pain is valid, and if I choose to deal with it with occasional dark humor, well that's just me sometimes.  It certainly wasn't meant to discount anyone else's feelings.  My sincerest condolences to everyone who has suffered a loss.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Sorry if I offended you, but my pain is valid, and if I choose to deal with it with occasional dark humor, well that's just me sometimes.  It certainly wasn't meant to discount anyone else's feelings.  My sincerest condolences to everyone who has suffered a loss.

I get it, sometimes you have to laugh in order to not cry your heart out!

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I get dark humor and seem to offend one sister occasionally with it.  Sometimes that is all you have.  

For those suffering the loss of a furbaby, my husband has a good way of thinking about it.  These animals come to us and provide us unconditional love and great companionship so the best way we can honor them besides providing them love/shelter/food  is to let them go when the time is right for them, not us.  Its not easy to remember when your heart has been pulled out of your chest but *I* know my cats have had the best life possible and I owed it to them to not let them suffer.  

It killed me when we left the vet after G's passing.  I was crying in the parking lot and a woman who was housing challenged walked by with her cart and said she was so sorry for what we are going through.  It made me cry harder but I am looking for her everytime I drive around town.  Her compassion was beautiful and I want to do something nice for her.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, oceanview said:

I surely don't want a "stack" of them to keep count of the losses, but I find it very valuable. 

I have always purchased a Christmas ornament that looked like my dog or cat. Great idea until after many years there were about a dozen passed pet ornaments on my tree. After I downsized to a townhome I put up a small white lite tree with the pet ornaments and some angels, snow flakes and of course bells so the angels can get their wings. Its really very pretty and I call it my spirit tree or when I'm feeling pithy the dead pet tree. Anyway, I hadn't put it up for a couple of years because I have other themes so I rotate them but did it again this year and it made me oddly happy. Sweet memories.

My vet sent me a well pet check-up coupon about a month after he sent my Bassett Hound over the bridge. I really like the vet but told him to fix his automatic mailing system. It happens. I used the coupon on the rescue I got a month after that.

• Love 7
On 1/13/2017 at 7:35 PM, Almost 3000 said:

I have always purchased a Christmas ornament that looked like my dog or cat. Great idea until after many years there were about a dozen passed pet ornaments on my tree. After I downsized to a townhome I put up a small white lite tree with the pet ornaments and some angels, snow flakes and of course bells so the angels can get their wings. Its really very pretty and I call it my spirit tree or when I'm feeling pithy the dead pet tree. Anyway, I hadn't put it up for a couple of years because I have other themes so I rotate them but did it again this year and it made me oddly happy. Sweet memories.

My vet sent me a well pet check-up coupon about a month after he sent my Bassett Hound over the bridge. I really like the vet but told him to fix his automatic mailing system. It happens. I used the coupon on the rescue I got a month after that.

A few years back I found two frosted glass ornaments that I use. A dog and  a cat with a gold metal halos. 

I see them and think of all my fur babies, those gone and living.

OK, time to scruffle fur and touch noses.

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, breezy424 said:

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:54 PM, walnutqueen said:

I have and I do use dark humor. My dad and I both had a it and it ran deep, strong and true and some didn't understand that it was at times a coping mechanism for very trying times (helped a lot dealing with cancer). Some times those "fucking" souls, objects, situations, condolences are the things that meant most to us, we just don't like what they do to us, hitting that vulnerable spot in our hearts. For myself, I've used "that fucking..." or another term to acknowledge the sting of pain that loss brought while reliving the comfort of the memory that the "whatever" brought back.  I've kept in my drawer of treasured things a "fucking card" a dear friend sent me when another cat died. To this day I mist up when I come across that card. I've referred to it as that to my friend and she knows how much that card about the memory of elephants when they loose one of their own and their rituals with the bones  means to me. Another cat was Henry, that damn cat, and I called him that at times, a beautiful  stray apple head Siamese who came around for meals and lived in my back yard but do you think I could pet that little four footed bastard...nope, not even when he was obviously hurt and I expected to see that guy dead, paws up, the next day. He lived another two years but then came a time that the little SOB didn't show up for his bowl of kibble. I count him among my pets even though the closest we ever got was finger to nose sniffing, seeing his fucking bowl much, much later, brought back all those wonderful memories and the pain of loss of a good little guy.

So yeah, I understand. Hugs to both of you.

• Love 8
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:35 PM, Almost 3000 said:

I like the idea of your white tree.  Shows a lot of imagination.    Glad you used your coupon for a rescue.  It  went to a good cause that way, despite the computer error.........

• Love 5

So, oh crap.  Last Monday I got this pain in my knee.  It hurt.  This is coming from the person who went through natural child birth numerous times.  I've got a high tolerance.   By Thursday, it was bad enough to make an appointment with an orthopedist.  Apparently I've got excessive lateral patellar compression syndrome.  WTH is that?  My knee cap is out of wack and I've got some arthritis there because of it.  I've been taken ibuprofen and it helped but now my stomach isn't feeling too good.   It sucks.  Not the worst thing in the world....but damn it sucks.

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 2
On 1/10/2017 at 0:02 AM, breezy424 said:

I don't know if many places do this but it was my first experience when putting a pet down.  Again, it meant so much.  Just thought I'd share because I know many of you can relate.

I'm sorry for your run of family losses, and the death of your beloved animal companion, Breezy424. I'm glad your vet's kindness helped ease the pain.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3

So I nearly lost my beloved Babalu (my last remaining indoor cat) this week.  My vet and I have been trying to reguate his insulin for several months, and we were finally on track with high doses and careful diet.  His numbers were a little low Monday, so his food intake was increased.  Wednesday morning seemed normal, with insulin & breakfast as usual.  I took the garbage out to the curb, and when I came back inside Babalu was making his puke meow, which turned into a howl, and his head was twitching.  As I picked him up, he puked all over himself, so I grabbed the phone & the cat carrier and dialed my vet as I pulled out of my driveway.  Luckily she is only a couple of minutes from my house, because by the time I got there, he'd lost control of his bladder & bowels.  Her quick action saved his life, as he was in full shock.  He spent the day on a dextrose drip, and we cut his insulin WAY back.  He's fine now, but his numbers were still low on Friday so we cut back again.  She thinks his diabetes might be reversing; apparently she's had 3 cats just this month where that has happened.  We'll see what his numbers say on Monday - fingers crossed.

I thanked my vet and her team by jacking up all THEIR sugar levels with some lovely French pastries that day.  :-)

• Love 7
16 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

So I nearly lost my beloved Babalu (my last remaining indoor cat) this week.  My vet and I have been trying to reguate his insulin for several months, and we were finally on track with high doses and careful diet.  His numbers were a little low Monday, so his food intake was increased.  Wednesday morning seemed normal, with insulin & breakfast as usual.  I took the garbage out to the curb, and when I came back inside Babalu was making his puke meow, which turned into a howl, and his head was twitching.  As I picked him up, he puked all over himself, so I grabbed the phone & the cat carrier and dialed my vet as I pulled out of my driveway.  Luckily she is only a couple of minutes from my house, because by the time I got there, he'd lost control of his bladder & bowels.  Her quick action saved his life, as he was in full shock.  He spent the day on a dextrose drip, and we cut his insulin WAY back.  He's fine now, but his numbers were still low on Friday so we cut back again.  She thinks his diabetes might be reversing; apparently she's had 3 cats just this month where that has happened.  We'll see what his numbers say on Monday - fingers crossed.

I thanked my vet and her team by jacking up all THEIR sugar levels with some lovely French pastries that day.  :-)

I'll be crossing my fingers for you too Walnut.  :)

• Love 4
On 02/05/2017 at 8:18 PM, breezy424 said:

I'll be crossing my fingers for you too Walnut.  :)

Thanks so much, breezy.

Of course, my "problem child" didn't have his diabetes magically reverse; his blood sugar was sky high, and we're back on the insulin dosage and blood testing every 3-4 days rollercoaster once again.  Le sigh.  :-(

If I had the grey hair gene, I'm sure I'd have a snowy white head at this point.  Still no  grey hairs, but I'm pretty sure more than usual is falling out from all this stress - so maybe I'll just go bald!  ;-)

• Love 5

I just happened to listen the Watch What Crappens podcast where Ronnie and Ben talk about going to the Polo Lounge with Lisa Rinna, Harry Hamlin, and Monique. The funniest part about the story is that the Polo Lounge was filled with celebrities, but all eyes were on them because they were the most random party of people. Ronnie and Ben said Al Pacino was at the table next to them, but couldn't stop staring at them trying to figure out how these people came to know each other.

• Love 2
On 17/02/2017 at 9:15 AM, HunterHunted said:

I just happened to listen the Watch What Crappens podcast where Ronnie and Ben talk about going to the Polo Lounge with Lisa Rinna, Harry Hamlin, and Monique. The funniest part about the story is that the Polo Lounge was filled with celebrities, but all eyes were on them because they were the most random party of people. Ronnie and Ben said Al Pacino was at the table next to them, but couldn't stop staring at them trying to figure out how these people came to know each other.

Mo'Nique Monique?

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, HunterHunted said:

Ronnie and Ben said Al Pacino was at the table next to them, but couldn't stop staring at them trying to figure out how these people came to know each other.

It was probably just because they were loud and attention seeking unlike the other diners.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

It's two more days until the IMDB boards are shutting down and many displaced posters will be popping over here.

Are we ready to welcome all the newcomers?

I didn't know that they were shutting down.  Does anyone know why? 

I guess we will see a lot come over here and they will be welcomed with open arms just like the TWOPers were.  I certainly was when it closed as I was one of the PTSD- afflicted TWOPers who migrated here.    

• Love 10
2 hours ago, crgirl412 said:

I didn't know that they were shutting down.  Does anyone know why? 

I guess we will see a lot come over here and they will be welcomed with open arms just like the TWOPers were.  I certainly was when it closed as I was one of the PTSD- afflicted TWOPers who migrated here.    

Here's the announcement they made. Doesn't really say why but that's all they said :)

• Love 4

I have some happy dog stories.  I worked in dog rescue for a long time.  I shed many tears over abused dogs and tears of joy over them finding their forever homes.  Dogs so often choose you. 

A couple came to the farm to check out the dogs before they brought their kids.  They had already been approved. They brought their daughter, 11 yrs old and their toddler son.  Their daughter was to choose her puppy from the 2 they had chosen.  

Rosie was a medium sized, short haired, 2 year old black dog who was allowed to go out in the open area whenever anyone was out there because she was well behaved and the favorite.  :^)  Black dogs are a more difficult sell because most go for the one with freckles, interesting markings or shaggy hair and a puppy. 

So they arrive and the little girl is looking at the puppies. Rosie comes up to her, licks her hand then sits, yes sits in front of her giving intense eye contact with frantic tail wagging and shifting her perfect sit in that eager way dogs do.  2 minutes into the process (if that), the little girl says, I want this one! 

Rosie jumped in their car before the door was completely open choosing shot gun as her seat and rode out the of gate on mom's lap.  So so cute.  We were all in tears of joy.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I have some happy dog stories.  I worked in dog rescue for a long time.  I shed many tears over abused dogs and tears of joy over them finding their forever homes.  Dogs so often choose you. 

A couple came to the farm to check out the dogs before they brought their kids.  They had already been approved. fThey brought their daughter, 11 yrs old and their toddler son.  Their daughter was to choose her puppy from the 2 they had chosen.  

Rosie was a medium sized, short haired, 2 year old black dog who was allowed to go out in the open area whenever anyone was out there because she was well behaved and the favorite.  :^)  Black dogs are a more difficult sell because most go for the one with freckles, interesting markings or shaggy hair and a puppy. 

So they arrive and the little girl is looking at the puppies. Rosie comes up to her, licks her hand then sits, yes sits in front of her giving intense eye contact with frantic tail wagging and shifting her perfect sit in that eager way dogs do.  2 minutes into the process (if that), the little girl says, I want this one! 

Rosie jumped in their car before the door was completely open choosing shot gun as her seat and rode out the gates on mom's lap.  So so cute.  We were all in tears of joy.  

Thanks @wings707, I can't read enough stories like yours.  A well-behaved (trained) two-year-old dog is the best bet when you have little kids!!!

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Thanks @wings707, I can't read enough stories like yours.  A well-behaved (trained) two-year-old dog is the best bet when you have little kids!!!

She was not trained at all!  She chose to look as if she were though!  Well behaved, yes. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

A couple came to the farm to check out the dogs before they brought their kids.  They had already been approved. They brought their daughter, 11 yrs old and their toddler son.  Their daughter was to choose her puppy from the 2 they had chosen.  

Rosie jumped in their car before the door was completely open choosing shot gun as her seat and rode out the gates on mom's lap.  So so cute.  We were all in tears of joy.  

Thanks for these tears of joy, Wings - such a nice respite from tears of sorrow.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Aww!!!  Gotta love them critters!!!

She wanted to go home with that little girl!  We had not seen her act this way with anyone else.  I am telling you, Rosie chose her forever home that day.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Everything OK Walnut?

As OK as it's ever going to be, G.  Just missing my Mum on what would've been her 86th birthday ....  so I'm a bit weepy these days.  Thanks for asking - you're too sweet.  :-)

But on the bright side, it's looking like my Babalu's blood sugar is finally levelling out, so I'll take the small    miracles & be  glad for them.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

Those type of anniversaries are the worst. I wish I could tell you it dissipates. I think we just learn how to live another way.

*Non creepy Eden Hug*

Virtual hugs recipocated, FairyDusted - and thanks for your understanding.

• Love 2

Moved from another thread so as not to e off topic...

TattleTeeny said:

"soulmate" cat

That's so interesting that you said "soul mate" cat. I was just at our complex's grassy area where all the dog walkers stand and talk and my neighbor mentioned her Siamese and how special he was and she showed me a picture. It was an apple face Siamese male just like mine was. We both agreed they were the most dog like cats we had ever had and we both felt a serious connection to them on a level deeper than other pets. The word soul mate was used too along with the mention of Piwacket. :^) Sort of an odd conversation while standing there with our dogs but we both agreed our cats were seriously special.

• Love 4

I just know mine was meant for me somehow, partially because a big handful of my once-catless friends and relatives were "inspired" to adopt a cat after knowing him. I've loved every pet I've had since (probably a crazy degree in some people's eyes), but that cat--my Tim--was the cat.

• Love 5