Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Cabana

• Start Topic

I’m quite a few eps behind, but my mom has been in town visiting for going on a week.  I put on Kardashian’s yesterday and I thought she would die.  It’s soooo not her thing.  Yet today she was asking me if that was up to date and is Kim really going to be an attorney.   So, on to tonight.  I put on the boy George episode.  Now mind you, momma does not watch this AT ALL.  Her first words was is that Lisa Rinna????  🤣🤣🤣. At one point she looked at me and said you don’t act like this do you? 🤷🏻‍♀️  Bless you momma for watching my shows.  And also gonna come here this fall to stay with my baby boy when me and my bestie go on our LAX star seeking trip.b😉🤣

• Love 6

So, since my mother is like @geauxaway's and does not appreciate any RHs (though I've gotten her to watch some Below Deck), I have to share with people who will appreciate this: Today mom & I were on our monthly shopping run and saw a Vanderhall out in the wild (and trust me, south Louisiana is not overrun with these things and I only knew what it was because of RHoBH).  But this guy driving was even DUMBER than Kyle taking hers to the grocery store.  We encountered this feat of impractical automotive design in the freakin' Costco parking lot!  And he had a full-sized passenger, not a Portia-sized one.  I have no idea why anyone would make a Costco run in such a car, but, alas, there he was.  I don't want to paint Vanderhall drivers with a broad brush, but based on anectotal evidence, they aren't a bright bunch. LOL!

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
On 5/14/2019 at 4:20 PM, Lizzing said:

So, since my mother is like @geauxaway's and does not appreciate any RHs (though I've gotten her to watch some Below Deck), I have to share with people who will appreciate this: Today mom & I were on our monthly shopping run and saw a Vanderhall out in the wild (and trust me, south Louisiana is not overrun with these things and I only knew what it was because of RHoBH).  But this guy driving was even DUMBER than Kyle taking hers to the grocery store.  We encountered this feat of impractical automotive design in the freakin' Costco parking lot!  And he had a full-sized passenger, not a Portia-sized one.  I have no idea why anyone would make a Costco run in such a car, but, alas, there he was.  I don't want to paint Vanderhall drivers with a broad brush, but based on anectotal evidence, they aren't a bright bunch. LOL!

That is AMAZING!  Mais bruh 🤣🤣🤣

• Love 2

I just have to chime in. My Mum visited me for many happy months on end from Canada (eh!), and binge-watching was our jam.  From VHS tapes of Northern Exposure to DVR saved series, we watched them all.  

"Mum - you'll never believe what a good show I am making you watch next".   Mortuary. Serial Killer.  Mafioso.  Polygamist.  Zombies.

If only she'd lived long enough for GoT ...

• Love 3

I never really have FOMO, but I'm starting to get it from this GOT talk.

Hub and I did try one episode last year, but we saw a dragon or something and we both said, "I'm out!" I don't think we were able to make it through the first episode.

We're just not really fantasy genre fans -- is it like that? Is there more to it?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Jel said:

Hub and I did try one episode last year, but we saw a dragon or something and we both said, "I'm out!" I don't think we were able to make it through the first episode.

We're just not really fantasy genre fans -- is it like that? Is there more to it?

I despise all things fantasy.  GoT is all about the characters and their stories, at least, for me,

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jel said:

Lyanna Mormont.  

A role model for all women of all times. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jel said:

I am you but for whatever reason I started watching GOT.  Maybe because it looked good and got good reviews.  I never loved it like others but I liked it...at least in the first season.  But by the third or fourth, I still only cared about the first season characters (even though so many more were being added.)  And I was enjoying the show less and less so I peaced out. 

• Love 1

Curious if any of you fine folks including @Callaphera and @MrsWitter made it to the Saved by the Bell pop up restaurant, Saved by the Max? I’m just sad that my LA friends would have had  no interest in going 🤣 

PS it’s gone now, but it’s moving elsewhere, and people are guessing that the LA venue will be... ta dah... a Peach Pit. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ivygirl said:

Curious if any of you fine folks including @Callaphera and @MrsWitter made it to the Saved by the Bell pop up restaurant, Saved by the Max? I’m just sad that my LA friends would have had  no interest in going 🤣 

PS it’s gone now, but it’s moving elsewhere, and people are guessing that the LA venue will be... ta dah... a Peach Pit. 

I haven’t because I’m mostly an East Coast girl (with some time in the Rockies) and my trips to CA (weddings, conferences, etc.) have usually been too hectic to sightsee as much as I would like. But I would totally go to Saved by the Max and the Peach Pit (I would love a “Peach Pit After Dark” with a residency from The Flaming Lips, if we’re dreaming). I really should have prioritized these stops during former trips. I have, however, dragged my SO through Laguna Beach to see spots where L.C. hung out. And, perhaps even more exciting, I’ve literally been to Dawson’s house and took a picture on the dock (luckily nobody was home at the time)! So I am always down for all manner of cheesy television tourism! I saw The Flaming Lips about nine years ago and, as part of the show, they actually played the 90210 clip. It was amazing.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MrsWitter said:

I haven’t because I’m mostly an East Coast girl (with some time in the Rockies) and my trips to CA (weddings, conferences, etc.) have usually been too hectic to sightsee as much as I would like. But I would totally go to Saved by the Max and the Peach Pit (I would love a “Peach Pit After Dark” with a residency from The Flaming Lips, if we’re dreaming). I really should have prioritized these stops during former trips. I have, however, dragged my SO through Laguna Beach to see spots where L.C. hung out. And, perhaps even more exciting, I’ve literally been to Dawson’s house and took a picture on the dock (luckily nobody was home at the time)! So I am always down for all manner of cheesy television tourism! I saw The Flaming Lips about nine years ago and, as part of the show, they actually played the 90210 clip. It was amazing.

Me too on (most of) that! The exception being that I am a West Coast girl, and I haven’t gone to Dawson or Laguna/OC haunts, but we DO have a Lemonade (restaurant) up here and I love it!

I saw the Flaming Lips at a festival-type event and went with a bunch of Cake fans. I was the only one who liked the FLips. The 90210 bit was totally lost on those friends (whereas I floved it). The guy I was getting to know was outright offended by them (?). 

The bummer is... I don’t think they include the Flaming Lips appearance in syndication. The music is so butchered in reruns. Performances are chopped out and iconic background music (like Brenda’s dramatic pondering set to “Losing My Religion”) has been replaced with uber-generic guitar riffs. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ivygirl said:

I wish! The husband and I looked into it when it first opened (in Chicago, I think?) but the price of flights + hotel was ridiculous. Also, we would have been flying from Vancouver to Chicago and back for a single restaurant? I mean, I wasn't totally opposed to the idea but I did hear my mom whispering in my ear, "You did what?!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

@Medicine Crow It's currently available On Demand if you have Showtime On Demand but it doesn't actually air on TV until June 16th. 

Thanks so much.  I already did a Live Chat with my cable provider & Showtime is not available here.  Too bad ... that new show with Kevin Bacon looks good, but not good enough to pay more for.  Much appreciated!!!

My latest critter story, quoting myself from the Pets thread In Everything Else ('cause my arms are too tired to type it out again) :

On 6/20/2019 at 8:29 PM, walnutqueen said:

So, the other evening, long before dusk, I spotted a teeny baby possum, tasting each bit of food from fruit to cat food to milk dregs, and scurrying off into the bushes before I could worry about raising an orphan.  Showed up later, with Mum, to feed again - so crisis averted.

Meanwhile, Mama Raccoon has allowed her two little roly-poly babes to show their faces briefly.  Until the other night/early a.m.  I heard loud chittering, and then sounds of splish-splashy chittering, which quickly reached shrieking distress call decibels.  One of the baby raccoons had fallen into the pool swamp, and was in distress.  I could not see the poor wee bairn (tree branches dipping into both sides of the pool obscured everything), and had no means of rescue.  Just as I was resigned to jumping into cold green swampwater, contracting algae-Ebola or some other nastiness,  and probably getting bitten and scratched for my efforts, Mama Raccoon came charging around the pool, climbed down an overhanging tree branch, and snatched that squealing baby out of the water like a champ.  Then she carried it (by the tail!!!) back around to the other side of the pool where the scared sibling was crying in terror.  She must've licked that baby clean, because later, when they all came back for a last morning feed, that baby didn't have any green slime on it!

Oh, and those goddamned starlings are STILL eating catfood all day long.  Bold little grifters.

I fucking LURVE my critters!

• Love 10

In my best Kyle voice : "you're just jelly 'cause you don't have baby possums & raccoons in your back yard!  (much less a ho'wives-watching Mama Raccoon)".   heh.  ;~)

I'm the luckiest beyotch on Planet Earth.  My critters are THE BEST.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Wikipedia? Come on.

Responding here because JCM isn’t relevant to  our episode.

The quote about his music habits was straight from him, in an article by David Fricke (a reliable music journalist). And you gotta admit that learning a guy known for Americana music was originally in a band inspired by the New York Dolls is kind of surprising.

Wikipedia is often well done. It’s not a proper reference resource (with good reason), but most of the time people get it right in there, especially when they cite their sources. 

I don’t care if he smoked pot; it doesn’t really translate as “drug addict” to me. I’m purely surprised by his early musical influences.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Responding here because JCM isn’t relevant to  our episode.

The quote about his music habits was straight from him, in an article by David Fricke (a reliable music journalist). And you gotta admit that learning a guy known for Americana music was originally in a band inspired by the New York Dolls is kind of surprising.

Wikipedia is often well done. It’s not a proper reference resource (with good reason), but most of the time people get it right in there, especially when they cite their sources. 

I don’t care if he smoked pot; it doesn’t really translate as “drug addict” to me. I’m purely surprised by his early musical influences.

That's all interesting to me as well. Mellencamp is not and was never an addict/alcoholic. Unfair and untrue.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Higgins said:

That's all interesting to me as well. Mellencamp is not and was never an addict/alcoholic. Unfair and untrue.

Both fair and true. He talks about his addictions extensively and he's proud of his recovery, as he should be.

My point was not to tear him down; My point was to demonstrate that everyone on this show is from humble backgrounds, and for Camille to pretend she is above someone who has financial troubles and call them out on it is elitist. I call bullshit. 

And Wikipedia is fine for locating sources, which is pretty standard practice. I know Mellencamp's career quite well, I didn't need to source the material but I provided the link anyway because someone asked for it. 

Edited by Dutchgirl
  • Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, Dutchgirl said:

My point was not to tear him down; My point was to demonstrate that everyone on this show is from humble backgrounds, and for Camille to pretend she is above someone who has financial troubles and call them out on it is elitist. I call bullshit. 

Exactly. I know a lot of people from not so humble backgrounds who still don’t have that elitist attitude. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3

If anyone out there is actually considering becoming a HW, here are some things I've learned from watching these Hos:

It is futile to ask a HW to step away so that you might have a private conversation with someone.

It is futile to tell a HW that you would prefer not discussing something right now.

Time and place mean nothing to these women. They would carry out a profanity filled screaming match in a monastery -especially if they partook of the tripel bock, but not necessarily.

If the HWs are riding together, be it plane, boat, bus, ferris wheel, you name it, be on guard for a confrontation.

Dinners involving all of the HWs never end well

The Girls Trip will, in all probability, NOT be the bonding experience that it is hyped up to be

If an argument breaks out that doesn't involve you, it really is best to keep your head down and keep eating; but be alert for flying wine. water and/or glass, possibly cake.

For my RHNY friends: Whatever you are going through, Bethenny Frankel's experience with it was worse. Pure torture.

Your mic is ALWAYS on and recording. It's like Alexa, except keep in mind, Bravo is on the other end. and whispering doesn't work.

• LOL 8

Over on Reddit, someone was posting ideas for Teddi's new spinoff. 

Great idea! After all, why should LVP be the only one with her own show.

Rinna Takes All: Rinna hosts a RH competition in a last man standing type format. She keeps starting nasty rumours (eg:  Munchausens and doing Coke in the bathroom) and pissing off other housewives until she is the only housewife willing to remain on this shit show.

HausStyle with Kyle: Kyle hosts. Guests design their own muumuus.  Kyle picks the winner. The prize is a lifetime supply of Fatburgers and a playdate with River.

All In Stalin: Teddi plays Dictator. That is all.

Beverly Hills BeachBums:    Dorit and PK are let loose on the streets of BH with nothing except an Iphone and Instagram account. Watch them as they rent a mansion, luxury car and access to unlimited credit.

What She Goes Through At Night: Erika, putting on  her  own makeup, fixes up her own hair, tries on different outfits. Posts instastories. Every night after night, week after week.

Denise and Aaron's spinoff based on this: 

Denise Richards revealed that she met her husband, Aaron Phypers, when she was a client of his — but what exactly does The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills husband do?

"I met Aaron at his center where he does frequency medicine and I was going to him to do preventative DNA repair; he works with a lot of different people with a lot of different things," Denise explained on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills After Show.

So what does a typical frequency medicine session at his center look like?

"This is very hard for me to explain," Denise said. "He doesn't touch you or anything, it's not stuff like that. It's light and sound therapy."

If that didn't clear it up for you, perhaps this will: "How he described what is going on is Ella Fitzgerald sings and breaks glass, right? The frequency breaks that. So frequency can also break down different things going on. It's not cuckoo weird s--t; it's like been around for hundreds of years, holistic medicine, all over the world. It's different for every person," she explained.

Fascinating. 

• LOL 8
9 hours ago, ShawnaLanne said:

There's nothing morally wrong with threesomes. There is for sure something morally wrong about a grown ass adult speculating about a child, who hasn't even reached the age of consent having any kind of sex, especially after the judgemental questions about Charlie and prostitutes, implying that they can somehow become more sexually active because of their father's life choices. If I take this train of thought further it goes into rape victim territory. 

Call me stupid, and I’m married a very long time, but if you love your husband, and you husband loves you, why in hell would you want a threesome?  If mine ever suggested it, I’d break his head.  Who wants to see him kiss another woman?  Besides, he was in the Army for two years in Germany and had enough, hahaha.  Before we met, of course.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Call me stupid, and I’m married a very long time, but if you love your husband, and you husband loves you, why in hell would you want a threesome?  If mine ever suggested it, I’d break his head.  Who wants to see him kiss another woman?  Besides, he was in the Army for two years in Germany and had enough, hahaha.  Before we met, of course.

LOL, I was amazed when I moved to southern California by how many swinging couples there are around. The neighbors invited us over for a barbecue--well, let's just say we had to make a quick & unexpected exit! 

• LOL 9

I share your amazement, IslandGirl. I was born in SoCal and lived there for 35 years. During the '70s my ex-husband and I were propositioned by three couples in our social circle. We declined but continued to mingle because there was no way of cutting them out and keeping the circle intact. It was awkward but dropping them would have blown up the trap shooting team, deer season, fishing season, 4-wheeling, weekly BBQs, etc, etc. 

My husband said we should take it as a compliment and I said "Um, no." It's not like they were toothless wonders, all were upstanding and self-employed or gainfully employed. A fondness for alcohol and/or weed was one common denominator.

I eventually moved to northern Utah and found out a few years ago that my ex didn't actually "just say no" to one of the invitations. He and my very best friend carried on for a few years while she and I were in daily contact, by phone if not in person. He died last year and I wish I was 700 miles closer to her for just 5 minutes. Maybe 3 minutes, I'm still fairly spry. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, IslandGirl said:

LOL, I was amazed when I moved to southern California by how many swinging couples there are around. The neighbors invited us over for a barbecue--well, let's just say we had to make a quick & unexpected exit! 

Same with us when we lived in Florida for a year and a half .. some people invited us over for drinks and started smoking pot and disappearing into bedrooms.  The husband said “ let’s get the hell out of here”.  So we left the house, then left Florida some time later back to New York.  Not sayin one state is better, but we are more comfortable here for many reasons.  Not knocking what choices people do or don’t do, but we are somewhat old fashioned with certain things.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

4 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

I know that.  I was just talking about threesomes in general .. not Denise, Erika, or Denice’s girls.

Agreed. I can only imagine having a threesome if you're single and no feelings are involved. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't want to see someone I love intimate with another woman. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Agreed. I can only imagine having a threesome if you're single and no feelings are involved. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't want to see someone I love intimate with another woman. 

I'm not necessarily old-fashioned, but I think I'd be way too jealous! 

• Love 5

Haha I'm glad to end up here and find out that people don't actually think threesomes are just fine, like it seemed in the other thread 😄   The hilarious thing about that conversation at Denise's house was that I really and truly didn't believe any of them - it just seemed to me like they were all trying to be too cool and one-up each other's stories 😄   (Of course - Denise doing it I believe 😄 )

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I grew up an only child .. I don't do well with sharing lol so yea that be a big no for me with someone I actually cared about

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I grew up an only child .. I don't do well with sharing lol so yea that be a big no for me with someone I actually cared about

Yup, I'm not going to think less of someone who is going to do this, but it's not for me. On top of the jealousy thing I have to have really strong feelings for a person not to feel awful about sex. Much less adding another person. 

• Love 5

@geauxaway

Wondering if you have seen this vid. There are a few more in the Lost Studio Footage series on youtube. The guys on keyboard, drums and upright bass are obviously not Beach Boys.

They are from the Wrecking Crew, session musicians who played in El Lay recording studios during production (and quite often on the final cut) for hundreds of songs by numerous artists. Hal Blaine the drummer was highly  in demand and holds a record for how many hit songs he backed. He died last year.

Brian Wilson was a straight-up genius but my crush was Denny, on drums. He's the one who winks at the camera. He had issues later and some problems shaking the Manson family loose. He was homeless when he drowned, alone in the Pacific one night. The Wilson dad was an asshole and Denny got the worst of it. RIP, dude. 

Anyway, this footage is from 1966, enjoy...

• Love 4
10 hours ago, suomi said:

@geauxaway

Wondering if you have seen this vid. There are a few more in the Lost Studio Footage series on youtube. The guys on keyboard, drums and upright bass are obviously not Beach Boys.

They are from the Wrecking Crew, session musicians who played in El Lay recording studios during production (and quite often on the final cut) for hundreds of songs by numerous artists. Hal Blaine the drummer was highly  in demand and holds a record for how many hit songs he backed. He died last year.

Brian Wilson was a straight-up genius but my crush was Denny, on drums. He's the one who winks at the camera. He had issues later and some problems shaking the Manson family loose. He was homeless when he drowned, alone in the Pacific one night. The Wilson dad was an asshole and Denny got the worst of it. RIP, dude. 

WOW!  Thanks for sharing that!  I’ll have to check out the others.  I love the history lesson, too.  This stuff just pulls me in, and down the rabbit hole I go!

• Love 3
On 7/23/2020 at 10:25 PM, suomi said:

@geauxaway

This is awesome! Thanks for posting this!

• Love 2
On 7/23/2020 at 7:25 PM, suomi said:

@geauxaway

OMG, thank you for posting this! I'm a musician & I absolutely adore Brian Wilson, The Beach Boys, & The Wrecking Crew. Oh that female bass player Carol Kaye is the coolest cat ever!!!!

• Love 1
(edited)

@goofygirl

Frank Stallone is the vocalist in the song that plays over the Staying Alive opening credits. He played Carl, rhythm guitarist in the club's band. LOL the dad from That 70s Show is the dance coach. Some cameos: 

[Director] Sylvester Stallone: Bumping into Tony Manero as he walks down the sidewalk in a crowd. They turn to look at each other for a minute.

Richie Sambora: a member of Frank Stallone's band when Tony Manero visits Jackie as she rehearses at the club.

Patrick Swayze: A dancer in white suspenders during the rehearsal for Satan's Alley and the Far From Over montage. He also catches Cynthia Rhodes towards the beginning of the montage.

Here be Frank with guitar:

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, suomi said:

@goofygirl

Frank Stallone is the vocalist in the song that plays over the Staying Alive opening credits. He played Carl, rhythm guitarist in the club's band. LOL the dad from That 70s Show is the dance coach. Some cameos: 

[Director] Sylvester Stallone: Bumping into Tony Manero as he walks down the sidewalk in a crowd. They turn to look at each other for a minute.

Richie Sambora: a member of Frank Stallone's band when Tony Manero visits Jackie as she rehearses at the club.

Patrick Swayze: A dancer in white suspenders during the rehearsal for Satan's Alley and the Far From Over montage. He also catches Cynthia Rhodes towards the beginning of the montage.

Here be Frank with guitar:

Wow! Eagle eyes spotting Sylvester Stallone and that IS Patrick Swayze in the blue shirt and white suspenders! So cool! The dancing really is incredible in this film. The fitness level and dancing of John Travolta and all the dancers is awe inspiring! 🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻 The talent, drive and discipline never fails to amaze me when I watch clips of dancers... just wow. They are giving it ALLLL... blood, sweat, tears... everything they have to the point of collapse. Thanks for this clip! 

• Love 3

ON 7/30/2020 AT 7:42 AM, BALTIMORE BETTY SAID:

However, learning to be fluent in Italian is something I wish I could do, there I said it, I am jealous of Dorit, ugh.  The first time I traveled to Rome I taught my vegetarian friend to say "Yo sono vegetarianah" and the basics, please, thank you...but to be able to really speak to the Italians would have been sublime. 

I lived the first half of my childhood with my bio dad who spoke Finnish fluently and the second half with my stepdad who spoke Italian fluently (plus his immigrant Italian mother who spoke no English). Neither dad learned English until they started school in the first grade. I picked up a little Finnish (oy vey, what a language!) and lots of Italian but understood it better than I spoke it. Italian is my absolute favorite language and I was jealous of Dorit's fluency. Attitude and delivery make a polished Italian speaker and she had those in spades.

That being said, Dorit of many accents being who she is, when I saw this commercial later that night I heard her voice saying "Ma, io sono Marco Polo. Si, sola qui. Ragazzini, io sono Marco Polo! " But, I am Marco Polo. Yes, I am here. Kids, I am Marco Polo!

Signore Polo gets no rispetto (respect) from those kids. LOL at the random llama. 

Edited by suomi
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3