Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Highway of Tears

The justification for Nick to become a Grimm again is made much clearer in the wake of the most recent attack against Monroe and Rosalee. At work, Nick and Hank are called to a stretch of highway that acts as a staging area for a horrifying Wesen ritual. In Vienna, Viktor meets with a completely broken Adalind, now ready to be of assistance in finding and retrieving the baby. Meanwhile, Trubel is surprised by the sudden arrival of an old friend.

• Love 1

Oh my, was my heater turned up extra high or was Nick especially hot this episode.   My, my, my.    

When he said he was back to Hank, I just about fainted.   When he smiled was Juliette returned to herself, I stopped hearing any dialogue.   I realized he doesn't smile that often.  But when he does.   Not Jim Cavaziel distracting (does anything equal that) but a very welcome sight indeed.   The only problem was when he was trying to look awkward when Juliette first became Adalind.   It came across more as "I want to jump you right now."   Which to me highlights how little chemisty he has with Bitsie Tulloch.

We also know why Hank has been married multiple times.   As soon as he spotted the Lady Sheriff, you could tell he was interested.   Mamma Renard who?  He just sees a pretty woman and is automatically interested.

Theresa's storyline is boring now.   I liked her better when she was Grimming.   Theresa in hiding is no fun.

Good lord, Juliette better not be pregnant.   I do NOT need that storyline with such a blah actress.   Also, I felt like Nick should have kissed her when telling her that he got his Grimm back, not some hug like they were buddies.   

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 4

I just loved this episode. I especially liked how the "womenfolk" were perfectly capable of handling themselves. I wanted to see Juliette, Rosalee, and Theresa kicking some racist Wesen ass.

Monroe so needs to get his Blutbad on, though. He could have just ripped the snake tongues out.

Watching Adalind figuring out that Kelly had her daughter, especially when it took Victor all of 30 seconds to do so, was especially satisfying. She's the dumbest smart villain I've ever seen. She's being all so helpful with Victor, and I can't wait to see her eviscerate him.

I hate to see Renard's mother leave, though. Sean seemed so disappointed that she was going.

However, if she and Kelly get to team up to kick some Royal ass, then I would be satisfied.

Edited by mustbekarma
  • Love 6

Excellent episode. Humorous sex is so much better than serious sex on screen, IMO. I LOLed a few times throughout the episode, but then I rarely laugh during comedies, so maybe that's not how the rest of the audience reacted?

So, if the couple in the opening scene hadn't been doing the foolish, Only On TV smooching while driving, they probably wouldn't have gone off into the ravine when they hit the nail-spiked piece of wood, and then the evil Wessen would have been able to take both of them, making it much harder for our intrepid detectives to figure out what happened.

• Love 3

Did I miss something?  How the hell does Rubel know Josh?  Does Josh know she's a Grimm?  I'm baffled.

You didn't miss anything unless you didn't watch the last episodes of season three.

They met last season when Josh and his Dad came to Portland to see Nick and give him the second key.

He knows she and Nick are/were Grimms.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 1

Excellent episode. Humorous sex is so much better than serious sex on screen, IMO. I LOLed a few times throughout the episode, but then I rarely laugh during comedies, so maybe that's not how the rest of the audience reacted?

I loved their sense of humor through this. I loved how Juliette took charge, and I loved how she refused to let Nick or anyone else angst over the situation. I loved how she said she hated being a blonde.  I hate to tell Nick this, but there is rarely a right answer to certain questions.

As to pregnancy drama, I could handle Juliette being pregnant much more than Adalind being pregnant. I'd rather not have pregnancy drama, but I figure there are three scenarios. 1. Adalind is pregnant with Nick's baby. 2. Juliette is pregnant with Nick's baby. 3. Adalind and Juliette are both pregnant.

If none of the above isn't an answer, then I'd rather pick door 2.

Edited by mustbekarma
  • Love 6

Yay!  Grimm Nick is back!  Glad this whole story was done.  The sex scene was handled well enough.  I liked that Nick and "Juliette" just kind of embraced how silly and bizarre it was, and there doesn't seem to be any kind of resentment between them.  They knew what had to be done, and Nick obvious love Juliette and not "Adalind."  Thought Claire Coffee was fine as Juliette.  Not over-the-top, but she showed enough in her scenes, that you can tell it wasn't normal Adalind.

Hank really was giving that county sheriff the lustful looks.  It's like this show throws random women at Hank once in a blue moon, and try to see if anything can stick.   

I kind of feel bad, but since that couple decided to kiss right in the middle of driving on a dark freaking road, they kind of deserved that wreck.  And, hey, this closed to being sacrificed scare can just be a good wake-up call for them!  Good on you, Evil Cult! Speaking of which, majorly bummed that Erick Avari didn't have much to do as the head cult member.

At least the Adalind/Victor stuff was kept to only one scene.  And, hey, minor movement: Adalind figured out it's Kelly that has the baby.

Man, do I still barely remember anything that has to do with Josh.

Monroe and Rosalee were awesome tonight.  Liked seeing Theresa interact with them more this time.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

If supernatural television is anything to go by, Juliette's baby will be some sort of hexengrimmvet hybrid and will hook up with Adalind's kid by sweeps of next season. YAY for no more mopey Nick! The show just was not the same without him being a Grimm!

I haven't reply in the Grimm thread for a while, but I do want to say Yeah for Nick getting his Grimm Powers back. Finally, their is hope that we will be moving on from  this storyline (and let's hope that we will be done with Adalind by December). 

At least the Adalind/Victor stuff was kept to only one scene.  And, hey, minor movement: Adalind figured out it's Kelly that has the baby.

For some odd reason I wanted Adalind to go and say out loud to Victor, "oh shit, I just realized that I  wasn't to supposed to be here and say anything. And I totally fucked things up."

But instead she finally figured out that Nick's mom has her child (that being said, I am going to guess that Adalind isn't the brightest  Hexenbiest around) and it seems that she is still working with Victor. 

Edited by TVSpectator

...Thought Claire Coffee was fine as Juliette.  Not over-the-top, but she showed enough in her scenes, that you can tell it was Juliette....

Yes, Claire is a decent actor, I've just never liked her characters in this show.

...majorly bummed that Erick Avari didn't have much to do as the head cult member....

Erick Avari is such a Hey! It's That Guy! (Stargate SG1 and Heroes come to mind, among others) that I was sure he's played a different beast on this show previously. No?
How the hell does Rubel know Josh?

As mentioned up-thread, it was covered last season. I include the quote here because now that you referred to her as Rubel, my head cannon is now calling her "Bam bam". See what you did?

Glad Nick got his mojo back. I hope no one is pregnant. 

Did anyone else sense that Wu has figured quite a bit out when he declared the metal-work doll to be "somebody's worse nightmare"? Wu was plagued with nightmares when that wessen came into his bedroom last season. At this point, I would like it if Wu has the Grimm/Wessen thing all figured out and winds up pranking Hank and Nick with that knowledge before it all comes out in the open.

If Rudyard Kipling was a Grimm, my money's on Dr. Doolittle being a Grimm too.

• Love 5

So glad that Nick got his Grimm on again. I didn't want that story dragged out any more than it has been. Not looking forward to another pregnancy story, so Juliette better not be, been there, done that. 

What's the big deal with Josh? I know he's on the run, but Teresa acted like there was something else.

Show: "The spell may not work right away".

Translation: "The spell won't work until the right point at the end of the episode when it's most epic."

Picked it like a nose.

Incidentally, the plot made no sense. They sacrifice a couple every three years but they can't get her out so they just grab some other random woman? Ah... no. They would have left him and grabbed another couple.

Not that I didn't enjoy the episode. I did. I particularly liked that the sex thing was handled with the usual lack of interpersonal melodrama. It's one of the best things about the show.

• Love 3

I'm glad Nick got his Grimm back.  I thought it was a good episode overall and loved the part when Monroe said something about a convoluted menage a trois and when Rosalee admonished him, Trubel said it was okay because she knew what convoluted meant.  So funny.

• Love 13

Thank god the titular Grimm is back! I like when they have episodes that are cop show first, Wesen mytharc second. I think what initially drew me in was the police procedural that felt authentic with little details and inconveniences, along with the dialogue that- while not "The Wire"- easily exceeded most CSI:blank-of-the-week hourly dramas . That it had this silly Wesen twist just spiced it up.

Before I forget: tell Wu! Especially since next week must be a mid-season cliffhanger, with it being Christmas themed so soon.

I continue to really like Giuntoli's naturalist acting. For example, when he ran to Juliet in the bathroom and screeched "Don't move!" , I really like that choice to sound panicked. I think Bitsy Tulloch is wooden, but oddly when she smiled and hugged Trubel, she seemed... different, and felt genuine. Maybe she's just not good at exposition drama? Although as I type this mid-episode, I am already imagining several comments lamenting the far greater chemistry seen between Adalind and Nick versus Juliet and Nick. Heck, Bitsy even looks "witchier" with her angular features, so they really should have swapped the casting.

The actress who plays Trubel has really won me over. Her acting has improved in leaps and bounds since she first appeared, and I'm impressed and glad for her that she was by sheer chance plucked from some acting class to be on this show. Plus, I'm sure even for a supporting role as a new actresd, she should readily be making $10-20,000 per episode, which will make an awesome nest egg to an aspiring actress. They're writing her better and better; her bit with the butterfly knife and looping around on her bike, she seems *real* to me, which was the initial charm that drew me in back season 1.

Sad to see Renard's mom leaving; I liked her very quickly. She humanizes Renard, her presence fleshed him out as a person more than a cypher.

It took me a beat, but Wu's line about "the stuff of nightmares" when they saw the creepy long-tongued doll from evidence was very clever, so kudos to that writer. I don't think it's the exact same Wesen species, but that was for him *literally* the stuff of nightmares.

Lastly, hehe... I'll admit, I chuckled at Rudyard Kipling the Grimm. You know, I think for a such as I gripe, the show seems to have regained it's footing of late, and hasn't lost its sense of fun. Truth is, I look forward to watching this show each week.

• Love 7

Well, finally Nick has his mojo back so they can move on to other things.  I am wondering if there is going to be any more about Nick having "Adalind vision" or if that will go away now because the spell/potion has been reversed.  It's unclear why the potion that suppressed Nick's Grimmness would have affected his other, acquired, non-hereditary, non-Grimm abilities, but I guess it did since they have seemed to make a comeback too.  Whatever!

I guess they were setting up that whole scene at the end for Nick's glorious return to Grimm-itude and so Hank and Monroe had to both be shown as inept and helpless, but I really would have liked to see Monroe in particular do a little Blutbad action.  As a regular human, Hank might be more at these long-tongued creatures' mercy, but Monroe should be strong enough to at least give them a little trouble, at least a gaping flesh wound or two, a little somethin' somethin'.  Oh well.

I had really thought Josh was a one-off last season but now they're acting like something is really up with him.

Edited by Blue Plastic
  • Love 1

I may or may not have had a huge grin on my face when Nick finally got his powers back. And how convenient that both Monroe and Hank ended up in (separate) pits, so that Nick had to take out all three by himself, to make sure we all knew he was back!

Monroe so needs to get his Blutbad on, though. He could have just ripped the snake tongues out.

I suspect they are saving that for the confrontation with the racist Wesen.  He was furious at the beginning of the episode, his eyes red and on the verge of woging.

Given the rapport between Josh and Teresa, and the fact that Josh will be in danger until this key thing is resolved, I'm now assuming that that's how Teresa will (temporarily) leave Portland/the show -- she will become Josh's bodyguard.

No pregnancy, PLEASE.  I like Juliette, I love their relationship, I want them to have lots of kids some day, but they really need to have a good two seasons or so of no drama.  That said, I don't think she is pregnant, because when would a preview be that obvious?  Having the voice-over guy say "could she be pregnant???" makes me think that she isn't.

Edited by beadgirl
  • Love 2

I thought the editing and pacing was really bad this episode. Pretty much what should have been the climax: the shit with Nick in the scrapyard was weird and extra pause-ey and, come on, we all know what's about the happen, and there were lots of very soap opera-esque moments with the pause, and the close up and just staring at the camera. The build up to the "I'm back" moment was just about the hokiest thing I've seen on this show, and that's saying something.

As if the whole "he's degrimmed, will he get regrimmed" thing weren't drawn out and tedious enough, the actual scene in which it happened was as well. Felt chock full of filler.

They're losing me rapidly. Come on, show. You can do better than this.

PS: lady sheriff calls during daylight and says she's there, and they're on their way but by the time they arrive it's nice and dark for firey ritual the baddies just said they needed to do "right away" after knocking her out? It looked midafternoon to me when she made that phone call. How long did it take them to light torches? Or did they start digging the perfectly square holes in that moment so plenty of time to get dark? How many hours away was that place from Portland that it took Nick and Hank so long to get there? Or am I supposed to believe the phonecall was maybe 415ish and by the time they got there it was 445 and thus reasonably dark? I don't want to be distracting by this kind of crap. and yet, here I am.

• Love 3

...No pregnancy, PLEASE. I like Juliette, I love their relationship, I want them to have lots of kids some day, but they really need to have a good two seasons or so of no drama. That said, I don't think she is pregnant, because when would a preview be that obvious? Having the voice-over guy say "could she be pregnant???" makes me think that she isn't.

I just replayed the last minute, and, in addition to the voice-over, Juliette is clutching her abdomen followed by Rosalee asking, "Are you pregnant?" Still, it seemed like a typical network monkey fake-out. Regardless, I usually loath pregnancy stories, but in this case it could be interesting because of the Grimm-Normal parentage. Still, I was hoping for a Blutbad-Fox offspring, just because I think Monroe and Rosalee would be cute parents.

...lady sheriff calls during daylight and says she's there, and they're on their way but by the time they arrive it's nice and dark for firey ritual...

Yeah, that did bug. It's an Only On TV thing. "Suddenly night fell." Clunk, bam. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I hate to jump on the bandwagon here concerning the chemistry between Nick and Adalind vs. the chemistry between Nick and Juliette or should I say the chemistry between DG and BT vs...well DG and anybody but... He seems to have much better chemistry with the "villains" (I am thinking his scenes with the daemonfeuer lady from Season 1 as well) than his girlfriend. 

I can't decide whether I like it that way or not. On the one hand it is nice to see TV portray a relationship that is not angst filled and seems settled and "boring." almost like an old couple who've been together 50+ years.  But when on screen DG and BT seem like roomates or close friends but lovers, I don't get from them.   There literally appears to be no passion/fire between them and for a relatively young couple with no kids that seems odd.

As I read one of the earlier posters, I also thought looking back these two seem to have been miscast.  I wonder how the series would have worked with CC as Juliette and BT as Adalind?  Interesting thought. 

As far as Hank is concerned, I argued on the old TWoP forums that Hank needs a girlfriend and it would be interesting if she were wesen.  There are too many scenes where he is a fifth wheel.  I don't think they need to have her involved (the Scooby Gang is large enough as it is and I imagine Wu will have to be added at some point) but for those dinner party scenes it would be nice if he weren't always alone.  As for Hank being 4 times married RH has great chemistry with a lot of the actresses (and some of the actors) he shares the screen with, there is something mildly flirtatous about his acting style so that he always comes off that way, not sure if its directing or if that's just his style. 

Overall though, its nice to have Nick back as a Grimm. It makes me wonder though if we have seen the end of Trubel's arc.  If so, I think the actress and the writing has grown and hopefully if she is written out we are able to keep up with her as time goes on.  I wonder if she will keep tabs on/protect Josh....also interested in if she finds some kind of purpose in life.  I mean for Nick, he is a Grimm but he is a cop, so it would be good for Teresa to find some kind of career. 

And please also count me in for the NO PREGNANCY bandwagon too.  If there is going to be a pregnancy on this show please let it be a cute fox-wolf hybrid!

Edited by xman4802
  • Love 3

So if Juliette is pregnant is the baby actually Adalind and Nick's baby?  Would the change have been on a cellular level and it would be Adalind's DNA not Juliette's DNA there at the conception.  An interesting way to go.  My wish is that the Adalind/Juliette switch become permanent.  Oh well, a girl can dream.

The chemistry between DG and CC did leap off the screen to me.  Perhaps not to others, but it was hot I thought.  I thought Claire Coffee did such a good job with the body mechanics and tone inflections.  She really seemed to study how BT walked and talked and took on that persona very well.  It hit me when she walked over to turn the light off and she held her elbow exactly the way Bitsey does.  She did act very much the way Juliette would have, well except for the wooden part.  Sorry I couldn't resist.

So glad Nick has his Grimm back.  DG really has been doing a great job this year with the subtle depression Nick has been going through.  He was so animated by the end of the episode you could feel the energy emanating off of him.

Edited by Shadda2
  • Love 1

I don't think Juliette ever was Adalind. I think it was just a visual appearance thing. So far, we've seen evidence of some psychic connection between actual-Adalind and Nick due to the de-grimming and its related magic. We haven't seen anything suggesting any kind of special connection between Adalind and Juliette. Unless her abdominal pain is in some way connected. But until presented otherwise, I'm assuming this was really a lookalike spell on both ends for the women involved. Otherwise we should've seen Adalind having some Juliette related symptoms before, and all we've seen is Nick-related symptoms. Not that I'd put it past them, but it'd be super clunky to only now show some Juliette-Adalind side effects this far after the original thing went down.

• Love 1

I'm glad Nick is re-Grimmed, but I'm not sure what the point of it all was. I guess you could argue that it gave him a chance to appreciate being a Grimm more, and it gave Nick and Juliette a chance to contemplate having a "normal" life, but it felt like they barely skimmed the surface with those ideas. This isn't really a deep character study kind of show, and Nick isn't really all that deep himself. I think what it boils down to is that they thought this would be a really suspenseful way to end the season on a cliff-hanger but they didn't really know what to do with it once they came back this fall.

It was also interesting to see that Nick not only regained his Grimm-vision but also his super hearing and his dead/not dead thing. But there again, we have the problem of how vaguely defined Grimm powers have always been. Does being a Grimm give you super strength, and super fighting abilities? This has been hinted at but never fully addressed.

When Juliette was writhing around on the bathroom floor moaning in pain, I can't be the only one who yelled at Nick not to stop to put his shirt back on before going in to check on her.

• Love 3

Ok, I am kind of excited about things going forward. Nick has his Grimm-ness back, and unlike last time, when it was dropped into his lap and he had to scramble to make sense of it and figure out how to deal, he has now made the definitive decision that this life, and these Grimm abilities and all the shit that comes with them, are what he wants. Having chosen this life now, I can see him owning it like he hasn't before, taking on problems with a renewed attitude and a boost in badassery. And for a character that is sometimes a little bland, that is a really good thing!

Or, they will forget about it within a couple of episodes and it will be back to business as usual with an odd mention of it out of the blue every once in a while down the line. Whatever.

I really don't want to see Theresa go, but everything looks like it's being put into place for her departure. She is such a great character, she was exactly the kind of shake-up the show really needed. But one thing that has been heartbreakingly consistent with her character is her need to move on. She's told Nick several times that she can't keep living with them, she tries not to accept things from them, and even though she dropped the subject once Nick lost his Grimm-ness because she knew she was needed, I think she's still very aware that she's living as a guest in someone else's life. And she's right, she's not going to be living with Nick and Juliette forever. She needs to regain her footing so that she can start building a life of her own. And now that Nick's all better, I think she's going to be feeling that pressure more than ever. Rather than living there because she's needed, she's back to living there because she needs taking care of. And that's just no longer the case. I think she will be jumping at an exit strategy soon, but I really, really hope she keeps in touch! The writers and producers obviously love her (they were so thrilled to find her, they've put so much care into the writing of her character), and at this point in her career JT's availability probably isn't an issue, and the fans seem to mostly love her too, so I can't imagine she'll leave and be gone for good. But I will still be sad when that day comes.

When Juliette was writhing around on the bathroom floor moaning in pain, I can't be the only one who yelled at Nick not to stop to put his shirt back on before going in to check on her.

No, you were not. I think checking on your not-wife takes precedence over dressing for warmth/propriety. I was also surprised at his lack of questions, like "Are you seeing a dungeon, like I did", for instance. 

But there again, we have the problem of how vaguely defined Grimm powers have always been.

And the magic, too.  With the de-Grimming spell, it wasn't revealed until the end of the episode, but we don't have a reliable gauge as to how long it took for Nick to be affected by Adalind's spell. Obviously, yes, Dramatic TV Law took over on when Nick got his powers back this episode, yet folks were staring at Nick expecting him to do something obvious. Or when he was string at folk expecting to see stuff. It's like the stuff no one wants to see dragged out gets dragged out, but stuff that can handle a little  eensy bit of suspense gets nipped in the bud.

Josh could be a cool addition. Now we have the potential for Uncle Nick's Grimm U! Three Grimms in one town? That has to be unprecedented. Renard would be flipping out, in goo and bad ways. Three Grimms, two keys (ah, Renard doesn't know about the second key, correct?), and no Royals but himself.  If Josh has the abilities (intro him to nice Bud?), but doesn't want to be a Grimm (and he seems against the idea currently) and he has to live anonymously for a while, why not have him stay in town and periodically go out to some woods- not around the trailer- and work out/ test Josh's limits? (It makes Josh recurring, like Bud, until a good story for him comes around. Unless the Chavez/ Pennsylvania jagerhunds are indeed connected, as someone upthread surmised.)

As to Adalind and Viktor? While I like Claire Coffee, I hope we get a small break from Where In The World Is My Special Snowflake Baby? goings-on. If we must have that start up again, how 'bout sweeps in February?  Then we'll have four or five episodes where the vamping for time is not a thing. People might even shout "Huzzah!" at the end of an episode. If the story starts up, I want it to be decisive, for good or ill. Team Kelizabeth vs. MomAss (Viktor being the second part of that portmanteau).  Then I would like the focus put back on Portland for the rest of the season. Let the Diana thing almost be forgotten, or at least wondered about for more than the period between Sweeps. This show can handle that. Let the stories breathe a bit. We still have Wu and the wesen KKK and Josh and Chavez's interest in Teresa and the weekly crime blotter and whether or not we get to see the Captain's chest again and/or speak French or whatever other language he wants.  The story plate? It's full like Thanksgiving full.  While I would love some actual answers as to the Royals and their place in Wesenworld, there has been such a stop/start on the story after three seasons, that I almost don't care anymore.

Give Hank and Drew Wu someone they can date. Wesen, human; it doesn't matter. The actors and stories have made the characters so rich, that I want them to find someone they can spend time with outside The Job. Not that they can't be single and lovin' it, but they seem unnecessarily lonely.

Elizabeth is such a great character! I hope we can see her more. Maybe, if the writing permits and Ms. Lombard is available, she will be allowed to visit more often. I loved that she knew the provenance of the hat Adalind used. I also liked, when talking about how Juliette needed to inhale the potion. She could have just mentioned that if there was more than three inhalations, the spell would be permanent. Instead, Elizabeth is "well, if you want it to be permanent?" The hearty chorus of "NO!!" was funny.

The preview: Were those supposed to be mugwai?

They still have the dangling plot point of Wu being suspicious of Teresa and asking for an explanation of who she is and why she's living in Nick's house, given that she's also a suspect in a homicide. I hope, if they do send her away, they address this issue first. Otherwise, it looks like she's a fugitive fleeing justice again, and I don't want that.

I wouldn't mind if they keep her around, but I do agree they seem to be telegraphing her departure.

I must have missed the previews, but I thought I saw the entire episode, and I didn't think of Juliette being pregnant. They wouldn't be stupid enough to have sex without contraception while under an Adalind-mimic spell, would they? I mean, even teenagers would have more sense than that, right?? Please, show, don't do this to us.

• Love 1

Not a bad episode.  Nick re-Grimmed, finally.  Very little Adalind/Royals.  Those two things alone made it worth watching.

Going forward, here's what's worrying me: 

The broad hints that Juliette could be pregnant.  I've been hoping beyond hope to be rid of the Juliette/Nick soap opera.  If she's pregnant, that's going to consume a lot of episodes.  Bah! 

Looks like we're in for an indefinite number of episodes of No Clue Wu.  Boooring!

Looks like Renard's mother is going to be making her exit.  Bad move, show.

Looks like the show might be moving towards Teresa making an exit.  Crap idea,show.

Looks like upcoming episodes will have a lot of Adalind/Royals looking for Adalind's freak baby.  Spare us, show!

• Love 1

Looks like upcoming episodes will have a lot of Adalind/Royals looking for Adalind's freak baby.  Spare us, show!

Ugh. Adalind. Every single episode, she does something horribly stupid and leaves me wondering how I'm supposed to take her seriously as a villain (or a character in general, really). And now, instead of the usual "tell-don't-show" method of informing us that Adalind is powerful, they've apparently given up and started crediting her successes to inanimate objects! (Ooooh, she used THAT hat? No wonder she was able to do a spell!)

She's been flailing about uselessly for so long, harassing all the wrong people, getting manipulated, blowing her non-existent chances of escape (Of course it wasn't real, but if it had been? YOU'D be the only reason you were still imprisoned and not out there actually searching for your real child!), and now she's effectively turned her baby over to the very people she was trying to protect her from! I wonder if she's put together the fact that the person who actually has her baby is the mother of the man she raped, and that she's probably made a powerful enemy of that entire family AND helped compromise her child's safety through her own actions. (Seriously. Claire Coffee deserves so much better than this.)

Can anyone remember the last time Adalind made a good decision? I'm genuinely curious, and not just being snarky.

• Love 1

...When Juliette was writhing around on the bathroom floor moaning in pain, I can't be the only one who yelled at Nick not to stop to put his shirt back on before going in to check on her.

LOL, for more reasons than one!

...I must have missed the previews, but I thought I saw the entire episode, and I didn't think of Juliette being pregnant. They wouldn't be stupid enough to have sex without contraception while under an Adalind-mimic spell, would they?...

It was in the notoriously misleading previews, so it might be nothing, however, if Juliette's body has an IUD or if she takes the Pill, and if Adalind is not using contraception right now, well, there are a lot of possibilities for procreation on the show.

No, you were not. I think checking on your not-wife takes precedence over dressing for warmth/propriety. I was also surprised at his lack of questions, like "Are you seeing a dungeon, like I did", for instance.

He played/they edited that scene really oddly. I got the impression he couldn't really hear her screaming, which didn't really make since given their relative positions. If she'd been writhing on the floor in the kitchen it might've made more sense. I mean, I know he didn't have Grimm superhearing back at that point, but most humans should be able to hear/recognize her sounds of pain given how not-quiet she was being. He reacted like maybe at first he thought she dropped something/heard some unexpected but not especially alarming sound, and only on the third wail or so did he actually suspect she was in some sort of pain. Once again I find myself thinking, not just for a Grimm, but for a detective, dude has oddly unsharp senses/attentiveness to sounds of potential danger. Someone who gets attacked at home as often as he does should be flinchier from any unexpected sounds.

• Love 1

The problem with finishing up the Adalind-Royals plot is that it means finding the baby. And then what? They've written themselves into a corner. The show will never allow the baby to be given to Adalind or the Royals and have that be the end of it. And the Royals and Adalind will never allow the baby to be left with Kelly/the Resistance. So at best we will get one side or the other getting temporary custody in a showdown, and the losers continuing to try to get her back.

It's not like they are going to once and for all kill off all the royals, even if they killed off Adalind. And it's not like the baby being killed is a solution either, because first of all I think that's too upsetting for this show, but beyond that, it only sets up a revenge escalation targeting whoever is thought to be responsible . Adalind on a grief-rage bender will not be a tidy ending, but just another round of shenanigans. And likewise if the Royals get possession and exclude Adalind. Or, if the Royals and/or Adalind get her, Sean and his mother and Kelly and the Resistance in general will never just shrug it off and let her go. .I don't see either side just letting anything go. It's a totally dealbreaking kind ofoutcome, no matter what way they go with it.

The problem with finishing up the Adalind-Royals plot is that it means finding the baby. And then what? They've written themselves into a corner. The show will never allow the baby to be given to Adalind or the Royals and have that be the end of it. And the Royals and Adalind will never allow the baby to be left with Kelly/the Resistance. So at best we will get one side or the other getting temporary custody in a showdown, and the losers continuing to try to get her back.

How about killing Adalind and Viktor?  Maybe have some random Resistance guys responsible, so we don't have to deal with any of our "good" guys being murderers.  Let Kelly keep the baby.  Have Renard's dad, the King, show up somewhere in this mess of a boring, disconnected plot line.  He, along with Renard and Elizabeth, can continue the Royals storyline of keys and coins...but either make that storyline more interesting or phase it out gradually. 

You know they went to a lot of trouble to get Nick and Adalind in bed together, there must be a reason.  A Hexinbiest/Grimm baby could be what they are going for.  I do think that hat of Adalind's is going to be important. 

You know they went to a lot of trouble to get Nick and Adalind in bed together, there must be a reason.  A Hexinbiest/Grimm baby could be what they are going for.  I do think that hat of Adalind's is going to be important. 

I always kind of wonder if a Grimm and a Wessen have a child, would the child have half Grimm powers and half Wessen powers/vogue, or would the child just be a regular kid/person for the rest of their life? Like what if the two powers just negate themselves?

If Juliette gets pregnant I will not like it. Juliette and Nick have been together for so long, it will be stupid for them for forgetting their birth control plan just because Juliette appears superficially like Adalind. Except of course if TPTB comes out with a convoluted idea that while she is assuming Adalind's appearance, whatever birth control method she is using does not work.

Given the rapport between Josh and Teresa, and the fact that Josh will be in danger until this key thing is resolved, I'm now assuming that that's how Teresa will (temporarily) leave Portland/the show -- she will become Josh's bodyguard.

Did I miss something somewhere? Why must Teresa leave the show? I think she has added a considerable dimension that the show needed, and I like that all the characters feel like one big family, now. Wasn't she supposed to be an orphan who was placed in one foster home after another? Since this Grimm business is inherited, why not make it that she is in fact related to Nick, and finds out in some unusual way? She could be a cousin or maybe a younger sister? Then, she will have found her "home" and can stick around and be a permanent part of the Nick/Juliette household. And really, why not add Josh to that also. He has nowhere to go and he knows about the Grimms, so let's add him to the party. Seriously, why not? (Maybe a love interest/friend for Trubel??)

It makes me wonder though if we have seen the end of Trubel's arc.  If so, I think the actress and the writing has grown and hopefully if she is written out we are able to keep up with her as time goes on.  I wonder if she will keep tabs on/protect Josh....also interested in if she finds some kind of purpose in life.  I mean for Nick, he is a Grimm but he is a cop, so it would be good for Teresa to find some kind of career.

Why not have Teresa Rubel be hired to assist Nick and Hank with Captain Sean's permission? She's already shown to be awesome. Now if Juliette is pregnant, there may be a bunch of bad Wesen, not to mention Adalind, who may be after her to steal/kill the baby in revenge. Teresa could help with that, too.

I really don't want to see Theresa go, but everything looks like it's being put into place for her departure. She is such a great character, she was exactly the kind of shake-up the show really needed. But one thing that has been heartbreakingly consistent with her character is her need to move on. She's told Nick several times that she can't keep living with them, she tries not to accept things from them, and even though she dropped the subject once Nick lost his Grimm-ness because she knew she was needed, I think she's still very aware that she's living as a guest in someone else's life. And she's right, she's not going to be living with Nick and Juliette forever. She needs to regain her footing so that she can start building a life of her own. And now that Nick's all better, I think she's going to be feeling that pressure more than ever. Rather than living there because she's needed, she's back to living there because she needs taking care of. And that's just no longer the case. I think she will be jumping at an exit strategy soon, but I really, really hope she keeps in touch! The writers and producers obviously love her (they were so thrilled to find her, they've put so much care into the writing of her character), and at this point in her career JT's availability probably isn't an issue, and the fans seem to mostly love her too, so I can't imagine she'll leave and be gone for good. But I will still be sad when that day comes.

I really like the character Trubel. I think the actress is doing a great job of being anxious, frightened, fearless and kickass as the situation demands. I think T.Rubel may feel she's imposing on the Nick/Juliette household, and may be unsure of herself and her place, but frankly I think she is scared to death to leave the only "family-like" environment she may have ever known. What a relief to go from being a runaway foster child who was abused and put in a psychiatric facility because she "sees monsters everywhere" to being acknowledged as actually being a smart, gifted, sane, hero. To leave a household/group of intelligent young adults who understand and value her would be ridiculous. Writers - she should stay!
  • Love 6

I thought Viktor and his sidekick got to the right result--Kelly has the baby--for wrong reasons. I think what they were saying was: Kelly changed the original Resistance plan by going to Portland instead of Brazil, therefore the people to whom Viktor handed off the baby could not have been Resistance but part of a plan by Kelly to get the baby? But Kelly could easily have alerted the Resistance that she was taking the baby to Portland rather than Brazil and they should come get her there. Or the Resistance could've had people in Portland just because there's a Grimm, half royal, and a booming Wesen community there.

Casually Observant, I think you've got it right. Trubel is trying to balance her fierce, sort of wildly instinctive independent streak (borne from self-preservation) with the fact that she went and got attached despite herself. Wherever she goes, and whatever she does, she will always be a staunch ally for Nick and his extended family, and I don't see her EVER moving on from the relationships she's forged in Portland, even if she does "leave the nest" so to speak and take up a mission that brings her out of town. Which she might not do. She might be around for the long haul, and that would be AMAZING, because she is super great and possibly the best thing about the show right now.

The reason we're speculating as to her departure is because when she was first introduced, the writers implied that it was a temporary gig for season 3, and after the finale they started saying vague things about how she'll be around for a portion of this season too, "or maybe even the whole thing," probably just to give us no idea what to expect in terms of her story. But there's always been a sort of understanding that her stint on the show was temporary (probably to support the "Nick losing his powers" storyline), unless the writers changed their minds and haven't told us yet. So while I hope like hell she becomes a permanent addition to the cast (because I love her to PIECES and honestly they'd be fools not to make her one), it's hard to watch her story without the fear that it's coming to an end, and looking for clues one way or the other. But, like I said, the writers haven't said definitively whether she'll be leaving or not, and I'm hoping against hope they've made the right call here and kept her around. But short of venturing into the spoiler thread, all we can do is speculate and cross our fingers.

• Love 5
I always kind of wonder if a Grimm and a Wessen have a child, would the child have half Grimm powers and half Wessen powers/vogue, or would the child just be a regular kid/person for the rest of their life? Like what if the two powers just negate themselves?

Isn't it not guaranteed a Grimm's kid will also be a Grimm? Or do they all have latent powers and just need one in their "line" to die before the Grimmness becomes active? Or is that still blurry? Because since the Grimness doesn't seem be visible/active/guaranteed at birth, it seems to me a half Grimm half Wessen child would, until some other Grimm dies, just be like any other half-Wessen and whatever that entails.

it will be stupid for them for forgetting their birth control plan just because Juliette appears superficially like Adalind. Except of course if TPTB comes out with a convoluted idea that while she is assuming Adalind's appearance, whatever birth control method she is using does not work.

I do think the pregnancy line in the preview was a misdirect, but if it weren't I really don't think they need any kind of magical or Adalind-related reason for not using normal birth control. Either: they did and she did and as we all know, sometimes it fails. OR by whatever magical means the sex is connected to the power transfer, it may be sort of implied that they couldn't use condoms in order for the magic to work. (pill would be another story but I don't know if it's been established that she's on it? If not, it's easy to just say, she isn't.)  I don't really want to hear what kind of horribly awkward conversation that'd lead to onscreen, but I can totally see that being a plot point. Unfortunately. Nonetheless, I don't think it needs to involve stupidly forgetting, nor some sort of Adalind related birth control deflection.

I missed something early-on. What was wrong with the smooching woman in the Jeep such that Phansigars didn't want her?

I agree with all the good words for Trubel. Wanna bet Jim Kouf goes to lots more college readings?

I think the actress is doing a great job of being anxious, frightened, fearless and kickass as the situation demands.

Damn right. She also makes mistakes that belie her new-found role in life, as expected. {Such as not telling Nick/Hank/Monroe re: her encounter with the stalkers outside the house....}

Did I miss something somewhere? Why must Teresa leave the show? I think she has added a considerable dimension that the show needed, and I like that all the characters feel like one big family, now.

I'd like her to stay but suspect the fiscal & plotwise reality is the show can not afford too many regulars, even if they are not full-time.

I would hope she remains a recurring character.

What to do with her the rest of the time is an issue. I could see her going to be with Kelly who may need some help with fending off Royals; she would learn lots from her. Or maybe she hooks up with Josh, & goes somewhere with him. For all we know he's just a late bloomer, and soon blossoms with her tutelage. Any Grimm couple with her would send Wesen fleeing across state lines. For that matter even if he's a Kehrseite-Schlich-Kennen, it still would be interesting; two shy young adults coping with the unexpected disruption of their lives.

Edited by Syme
What was wrong with the smooching woman in the Jeep such that Phansigars didn't want her?

Basically, she was pinned in the car due to the damage from the accident. It wasn't that they didn't want her. They couldn't pull her out. So they left her. I'm guessing they don't have super strength or anything, just those paralyzing tongues. You'd think if they were intentionally, on a regular (if infrequent) schedule causing car accidents to get their human sacrifices they'd bring the proper tools for extrication, but apparently not.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

Basically, she was pinned in the car due to the damage from the accident. It wasn't that they didn't want her. They couldn't pull her out.

Thanks. Somehow I thought she was the wrong flavor or such.

• Love 1

Basically, she was pinned in the car due to the damage from the accident. It wasn't that they didn't want her. They couldn't pull her out. So they left her... You'd think if they were intentionally, on a regular (if infrequent) schedule causing car accidents to get their human sacrifices they'd bring the proper tools for extrication, but apparently not.

Yeah, this really perplexed me. They couldn't pull her out, so they just left her? They had time to keep working on the problem, it's not like the cops were on their way. Wouldn't it be considerably more trouble to identify another car with a young woman in it, spring the same trap, and hope the next one survived, before their super-important ritual the next day, than it would be to do more than tug on this woman a couple of times to try and get her out? They worked at a scrap yard, surely they had the tools and know-how to extract her. Even if she was badly hurt in the process, you'd think it would be worth it as long as she was alive for the ritual. But then, what do I know about lizard people and their human sacrifices?

• Love 3