Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

@Scarlett45That sweet Cosmo does not look all that pleased with you at that moment!  He has the most adorable face.

The LONGING over the bone. He acts as if I do not feed him and he would never, ever see another bone again! I dont feed him bones, but SOMEONE ate my Mom's filet mignon while I was out with my cousins! My Mom was enjoying some quiet time at my house while I was out, and she says she put her plate on the kitchen counter and went to the restroom, when she got back her plate was EMPTY- she had never seen him reach the counter before and thought it was safe!

• LOL 11
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

The LONGING over the bone. He acts as if I do not feed him and he would never, ever see another bone again! I dont feed him bones, but SOMEONE ate my Mom's filet mignon while I was out with my cousins! My Mom was enjoying some quiet time at my house while I was out, and she says she put her plate on the kitchen counter and went to the restroom, when she got back her plate was EMPTY- she had never seen him reach the counter before and thought it was safe!

That is too funny.  We had a German Shepherd dog for 13 years and he would drool over our food.  He had hip issues so couldn't counter cruise.  The granddog is an expert.  I remind the daughter in law "remember when he ate all the (whatever it was) so let's move and cover these.  So cute.  Or not!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

My silver tabby can match any dog for stealing food.  She is obsessed.  She will sit next to me at dinner, and if I turn my head something will be missing from my plate. And she steals food very fast.   I have to put a picnic net over any food when I leave it on the counter to cool.  My other cat doesn't care what food is around, but Flora is as untrustworthy around food as my brother's late Weimaraner.  And she would eat anything.

My brother lost his Weim last month, and he is getting a Whippet puppy this weekend.  The breeder is very particular about how to care for her puppies, and has assigned two books he must read before he can take the puppy home.  I have been having fun looking for Whippet clothes, and I did buy a little jacket for her to wear while she is a little puppy.  They are so lean, and have so little body fat, that they need to wear a sweater or jacket or coat in cool weather.  I am amazed at the wardrobes available especially for Whippets, Greyhounds, and Italian Greyhounds.  Who knew??

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

My silver tabby can match any dog for stealing food.  She is obsessed.  She will sit next to me at dinner, and if I turn my head something will be missing from my plate. And she steals food very fast.   I have to put a picnic net over any food when I leave it on the counter to cool.  My other cat doesn't care what food is around, but Flora is as untrustworthy around food as my brother's late Weimaraner.  And she would eat anything.

My brother lost his Weim last month, and he is getting a Whippet puppy this weekend.  The breeder is very particular about how to care for her puppies, and has assigned two books he must read before he can take the puppy home.  I have been having fun looking for Whippet clothes, and I did buy a little jacket for her to wear while she is a little puppy.  They are so lean, and have so little body fat, that they need to wear a sweater or jacket or coat in cool weather.  I am amazed at the wardrobes available especially for Whippets, Greyhounds, and Italian Greyhounds.  Who knew??

Oh so sweet! Share puppy pictures here or in the pet thread if that’s okay. I love puppie pictures. My friend and her family had Italian Greyhounds and I used to participate in a Greyhound rescue group so I knew about their need for apparel. 

Blake has his spot in the tree. Cross your appendages for my trees this year- Lady Reese likes to chew, and Cavendish likes reflective things. I’ve had cats my entire life almost and I’ve never had problems with the Christmas tree, just don’t put ornaments on the very bottom and I’ve been okay….but this is my first Christmas with them. 

7744E22A-70B3-4F59-BA50-50559E6DB9B8.jpeg

6918EFA9-6920-4F8E-BA39-A2059D738536.jpeg

• Love 12

I have a 2' tree that I put atop our 90s eta entertainment center. The cat tree is next to it. Zeena finally noticed the tree last night, sniffed it, and went back to the cat tree without incident. I don't think I'll see her there again. As for Demelza, she checked out the stuff on the bookshelf and batted around the fairy lights, but one scolding is all it takes for her not to do it again. 😺

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I always decorate trees strategically. I've been lucky to never have tree-climbers but I do only put ornaments that can't be smashed within cat range. Pixie's first year home, she was still so irritating with undecorating the tree that I ended up taking it down on Boxing Day. Fortunately, she has mellowed with age.

Lucy, my delightful weirdo black kitty, was determined to help prepare the turkey this year. I don't think she even wanted to eat it; she just wanted to watch and maybe lick. My friend had to play defense at the pass-through into the kitchen because Lucy kept jumping up and trying to ever-so-casually stroll onto the counter ("oh, okay, you don't want me on that side of the flowers? sure, I'll just jump up on this side then" lather, rinse, repeat).

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

hello friends, i spent last week enjoying thanksgiving and birthday time (theirs) with my grandkids and their parents in texas. it was a nice visit, very low key. rainy weather kept us inside for most of the time. i was thrilled to be able to spend more time with my son as he had taken a few days off work. got home and was exhausted so slept part of sunday afternoon, and early to bed that night. 

woke up to find out we had a family death overnight (on husbands side) so we had a long drive/late night  yesterday. today was spent at church sewing clothes for an orphanage and finally napping briefly. i am thinking its gonna be an early night again around here. 

• Hugs 13

IMG_1123.jpg.49894cd9e5f6d00a237bd852ff6846e9.jpgMy tree this year.  I always put cat-proof ornaments on the lower 1/4 of the tree, and the top 3/4 is all vintage and antique ornaments.  I have a lot of family ornaments that are over 100 years old.  So far, my cats have paid no attention to the tree.  A quick sniff when I first put the bare tree up, and then no interest at all.  I have found that leaving the tree bare for a day satisfies their curiosity.  This is a new tree this year, and it can be controlled by voice through Alexa.  It is very convenient to be able tell it to turn off or on.  It will change colors and light pattens by voice, too.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

I'm impressed by all of your pretty trees. We usually put ours up on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but I threw my back out on Friday and it's still killing me. I didn't go put the guest rooms back to normal until yesterday and it made my improving back flare up again. I'm so frustrated by the pain. It hurts to get in and out of chairs, but walking is ok. Speaking of cats, mine puked near his bowl last night (apparently) and I slipped on it first thing  this morning. I really can't wait to feel better! Thank goodness for my sleep number bed. I can get comfy there, so I sleep ok. 

I just found out one of my cousins is on a ventilator. He and his medically fragile wife have had a bad bout of Covid. Yet she's being discharged and he's still on the vent. 😔 I sure hope he recovers. 

• Hugs 23

@BetyBee, I hope you are feeling better soon.  Back pain is terrible.  Thumbs up for the Sleep Number bed.  I absolutely love mine (and so do my cats!). It is so nice go be able to adjust how hard or soft it is.  And they last so long.  I replaced my 20-year-old Sleep Number mattress a couple of years ago, but only because some part was lost in my move.

Wishing a good recovery for your cousin.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I'm impressed by all of your pretty trees. We usually put ours up on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but I threw my back out on Friday and it's still killing me. I didn't go put the guest rooms back to normal until yesterday and it made my improving back flare up again. I'm so frustrated by the pain. It hurts to get in and out of chairs, but walking is ok. Speaking of cats, mine puked near his bowl last night (apparently) and I slipped on it first thing  this morning. I really can't wait to feel better! Thank goodness for my sleep number bed. I can get comfy there, so I sleep ok. 

I just found out one of my cousins is on a ventilator. He and his medically fragile wife have had a bad bout of Covid. Yet she's being discharged and he's still on the vent. 😔 I sure hope he recovers. 

Hope your back pain improves.  I’ve only had it a couple of times.  It affects everything.  Well wishes to your cousin too. Hopefully, they’ll both improve.  

• Love 5

I know the holiday season is upon us, and for those that have little ones in your life who celebrate Christmas, I wanted to share the NORAD Santa Tracker- the team at NORAD plots Santa’s route in real time. It’s free to watch and a great way to start teaching the little ones about geography, time zones etc.

I fully admit as a grown ass woman I pop in on Xmas Eve and see where Santa is, GPS for Santa! I’ve found there’s no need to believe in the myth of Santa to think this is cool, kids that know Santa is a fictional creation still get a kick of of the fact that it’s different times in other parts of the globe and the graphics are nice. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I know the holiday season is upon us, and for those that have little ones in your life who celebrate Christmas, I wanted to share the NORAD Santa Tracker- the team at NORAD plots Santa’s route in real time. It’s free to watch and a great way to start teaching the little ones about geography, time zones etc.

I fully admit as a grown ass woman I pop in on Xmas Eve and see where Santa is, GPS for Santa! I’ve found there’s no need to believe in the myth of Santa to think this is cool, kids that know Santa is a fictional creation still get a kick of of the fact that it’s different times in other parts of the globe and the graphics are nice. 

Santa isn't real? 😲🎅🏽

• Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Santa isn't real? 😲🎅🏽

Santa is always real for those who truly believe...🎅

Other holiday things to ponder. Yesterday my mom brought up the whole "cancelling christmas" nonsense, use of Xmas, etc. I asked her how is it that Christians, who view advent as a sacred time of waiting, are ok with the shilling and buying of advent calendars with 24 for days of little doors with everything from candy and toys, to bourbon, to cat food. like is it ok because they are still called Advent Calendars?? She had no answer....

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 2
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Santa is always real for those who truly believe...🎅

Other holiday things to ponder. Yesterday my mom brought up the whole "cancelling christmas" nonsense, use of Xmas, etc. I asked her how is it that Christians, who view advent as a sacred time of waiting, are ok with the shilling and buying of advent calendars with 24 for days of little doors with everything from candy and toys, to bourbon, to cat food. like is it ok because they are still called Advent Calendars?? She had no answer....

Yes, in olden times Advent was a period of fasting so that when Christmas came, it was time to party hardy.  I do like my Advent calendar with German chocolates and truffles, which I prefer over one with spirits.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

I have plenty of Christmas trees, decor and decorations, but STILL have purchased 3 Christmas trees so far!  😆 (One for myself and two for my mom.) I knew I would do it.  I saw this slim, white, six foot tree and had the perfect spot for it before Thanksgiving.  Last weekend, I went back and got it.  My mom loved it and wanted two of them!  I got her one, but they only had one left, so, I got her a shorter one as well.  It’s all coming together.  Love, love my Christmas lights, colors and Nativity.  

• Like 4
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I usually have the NORAD Santa tracker open in one browser tab and the Google Santa tracker open in another one, so I can compare. I don't ever remember believing in Santa--my mom was a pragmatist who loved to read so I think we were taught that it was a beloved story to enjoy.

3 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

Yes, in olden times Advent was a period of fasting so that when Christmas came, it was time to party hardy.  I do like my Advent calendar with German chocolates and truffles, which I prefer over one with spirits.

I have a See's chocolates advent calendar (and sent one to my sister); my sister sent me a jigsaw puzzle one that has twelve 80-piece puzzles; and I bought spirits ones for us, my sister, and our other friend who is coming for Christmas. And I'm an atheist! (But still part Christmas elf...)

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

IMG_0424.jpg.cc642c7a0fe1fe0a245be79f6d03c0fe.jpgMy brother and his new Whippet puppy.  Her name is Scarlet, and she has much a lighter coat than I thought from previous pictures.  I thought she would be black with some gray pattern.    I love her big black nose.  They will have a 7 hour drive home tomorrow, which should be fun.  She is a lucky dog.  She will get so much love and attention in her new family.

I think Scarlet is a beautiful puppy (looks like she's posing) and your brother looks so happy with her.  

• Love 13
58 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

IMG_0424.jpg.cc642c7a0fe1fe0a245be79f6d03c0fe.jpgMy brother and his new Whippet puppy.  Her name is Scarlet, and she has much a lighter coat than I thought from previous pictures.  I thought she would be black with some gray pattern.    I love her big black nose.  They will have a 7 hour drive home tomorrow, which should be fun.  She is a lucky dog.  She will get so much love and attention in her new family.

She's a beautiful girl and lucky to get a loving home.  

• Love 10

I have tried to put down in words what has been bugging me about my sister-in-law of 45 years. It always turns into tl;dr, so I'll sum up what I'm feeling. I'm mad at me for encouraging Mr. BetyBee to spend time with his sister when he doesn't enjoy spending time with her. She's an egotiscal know it all and I'd rather spend time with friends than with this relative! She went too far recently and when we declined to do as she wished us to do, she got mad and insisted she never asked that of us. I have the texts to prove it!

I prefer to spend time with people who are kind and caring towards me. To that end, I'm local Christmas shopping with my oldest daughter today and attending a friendsgiving with actual friends tomorrow. I won't let sil turn me into a bah! humbug! person!

ETA: @lookeyloo - what a beautiful granddog!

Edited by BetyBee
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Here is our grand dog.  He is just the nicest fellow.  He loves everyone, isn't destructive, rarely asks to go out but never has accidents, and just generally a lot of fun to be around.

DBFF8704-B591-4AB0-8574-4C0B294086C5_1_201_a.jpeg

What a beautiful sweet dog!

I love it when people share pictures of their cats and dogs.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

There needs to be a class on how to make friends and how to end friendships as adults.  As a kid, it's easy.  Your parents can handle it for you, and that's that.  It's even harder when the relationship is with a family member.  Chances on, you're going to be seeing said family members at certain points, and making a scene is not an option when grandma passes away.  I went through a few issues with my mom and Mr. Six at Thanksgiving.  He doesn't understand why I don't want to go back to our hometown, and I don't expect him to.  After I lost my dad, something changed in me, and being there is just a slap in the face.  My in-laws are both still living, so he hasn't dealt with that type of death/loss yet.  My mom, in turn, tried to make the TG holiday hers.  We opted to just stay one night, instead of the two we used to, and we chose to stay in a hotel.  You would have thought I bought her an animal and then ran it over.  My health is not the best, and I need to be around my hubby the most since he knows what's going on .without me saying a word.  We spent the actual holiday with his side of the family, who I love to pieces.  But, I know I was not myself, and I can only hope I hid it well enough.  

For fuck's sake, this post was not supposed to be my emotional baggage dump.  Right now, only 6 people know about what's really going on and my full diagnosis.  But, I keep most of it to myself.  I just can't bring myself to open up, even though I know I will have amazing support from friends and family.  Adulting is just hard some times...

@lookeyloo-your grand dog is adorable!  Thanks for sharing his picture!

• Hugs 23

I have done many groups on boundaries. I find the easiest way to look at is as a bull's eye. Center circle, you and only you. Next circle a half dozen or less of trusted, loving family and friends. Next circle is family and friends you like and/or love, but they don't know all your secrets. Next circle depending on your age might include clergy, teachers, mentors, coaches, some co-workers/friends and some family. The last circle is acquaintances; anyone from a regular mail person, maybe a boss, folks you only see at weddings and funerals, etc.

The trick is to figure out what to share with whom, knowing when to keep a boundary fluid, meaning some friends/family might move farther out for a bit, but then come back closer, and when to firm up a boundary.

One of the hardest things to do is knowing how to move someone out. Obviously honest communication is best, but many find continually being busy/unavailable works well too.

None of it is easy, buts its helpful to get a clear picture of your personal bull's eye to see where you're at. Maybe you have too many in your inner circle, maybe you sharing things with folks in an outer circle, that on second thought isn't the best idea. Maybe your circles are too fluid, or too firm.

Sometimes when it becomes less abstract it becomes easier to manage.

• Useful 8
  • Love 9

That is wise advice, @GeeGolly! My takeaway is that if you clearly see where the person who is bothering you really fits in on your bull's eye concentric, then it becomes easier to "let it go" when someone not in your inner circle does something to bug you. Like I could look at my sil's behavior and think, "Oh well. We aren't all that close, so it's understandable that we aren't on the same wavelength on this issue. Then I can shrug it off and focus on myself and my inner circle peeps!

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3

@jcbrown- friend breakups are always hard, even if you know it’s for the best. It sucks, but you have a right to put your own well-being first and set boundaries. @GeeGolly gave you excellent advice up thread and I won’t repeat it, because it was so eloquent. 

Sorry your Thanksgiving was hard @sixlets, you have every right to have a peaceful holiday with individuals you enjoy that won’t make a difficult situation with your health harder. (((Hugs)))

• Like 2
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Porkchop said:

Suki and me! She is my daughter's dog, but she loves a lap and often finds mine! My daughter has a cat too, but Miskit is not interested in me at all.

suki3.jpg.8303effb76d4b9be85b1651db199a245.jpg

So cute!   I went to visit my niece’s dog today!  I helped care for him over most of this year and got so attached.  He was so excited and so was I.  I forgot to take a photo.  Maybe next time with our Christmas sweaters on,  

JCBrown, I know what you mean about feeling odd over the ending of the friendship. I’ve had to do it before. Once, it was a clique of ladies that were very tight.  We had some great times, but through a series of events and circumstances….I had to walk away.  I was always taught to listen to that little voice in your head that tells you what’s right.  I can’t go wrong if I listen.  So, I knew I did the right thing.  Still, it was awkward and sad.  I hope you’re feeling better about it before long.  Time does help though.  

• Love 11
14 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Pixie posed with her catnip candy cane just last night.

X-mas Pix.jpeg

I have a brown tabby, too.  It looks like Pixie has what I consider as brown tabby attitude.😄

2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'll jump in here as well with recent photos of Emrys. Don't know whether anyone remembers the photo of the fluffy little kitten I posted around June or July. He's about eight months old now, and getting enormous! Obviously a lot of Russian Blue in him, but I think also some Maine Coon you can see in his face and ears.

img_1_1670512947125.jpg

img_4_1670513298316~2.jpg

img_1_1670512696184~2.jpg

He is so gorgeous!

• Like 1
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Pixie posed with her catnip candy cane just last night.

X-mas Pix.jpeg

I need your skills!

5 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'll jump in here as well with recent photos of Emrys. Don't know whether anyone remembers the photo of the fluffy little kitten I posted around June or July. He's about eight months old now, and getting enormous! Obviously a lot of Russian Blue in him, but I think also some Maine Coon you can see in his face and ears.

img_1_1670512947125.jpg

img_4_1670513298316~2.jpg

img_1_1670512696184~2.jpg

So majestic!!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Suzn said:

I have a brown tabby, too.  It looks like Pixie has what I consider as brown tabby attitude.😄

Pixie is mostly attitude and will. She is a total sweetie who likes to snuggle... when it's her idea. When we took our girls to the vet recently, the techs brought Lucy back out to the parking lot (they don't let humans in with their animals since COVID) and just raved about what a great cat she was. Pixie, they brought out in her carrier essentially at arm's length like she was a bomb or something and said they would have to give us a sedative dose for her next time. Without us in the room, she simply refused to let them do what they needed to do. Pixe does not appreciate things that are Not Pixie's Idea.

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I woke up to a beautiful snowfall. It's still coming down. I'd take a pic, but then I'd have to disturb my cat and put down my coffee and go outside in my pajamas! Trust me, it's beautiful!

This morning on our walk Cosmo and I watched the rain turn to snow, it looked pretty but it wasn't sticking. Youre in Chicagoland too right BetyBee? (I know @ChiCricket is my neighbor)

• Love 3

I’m so happy! I haven’t had a holiday where I’ve been able to see my whole family in over decade. My brother and his wife are coming for Christmas Eve dinner and my daughter (with grandkids) are coming Christmas Day. They don’t get along so I can’t just do one big party, but I’m excited to be able to see everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

This morning on our walk Cosmo and I watched the rain turn to snow, it looked pretty but it wasn't sticking. Youre in Chicagoland too right BetyBee? (I know @ChiCricket is my neighbor)

Yes! We're in the NW suburbs. It's sticking here. It is mushy though. I hope we get plowed before it freezes!

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Yes! We're in the NW suburbs. It's sticking here. It is mushy though. I hope we get plowed before it freezes!

Meanwhile in the southern part of the state it is 63 and sunny after two rainy, gloomy days. But since I am in Illinois, I must be near Chicago, right*?? 🤣 
(*The attitude of anyone not actually from Illinois)

• LOL 7
19 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Pixie is mostly attitude and will. She is a total sweetie who likes to snuggle... when it's her idea. When we took our girls to the vet recently, the techs brought Lucy back out to the parking lot (they don't let humans in with their animals since COVID) and just raved about what a great cat she was. Pixie, they brought out in her carrier essentially at arm's length like she was a bomb or something and said they would have to give us a sedative dose for her next time. Without us in the room, she simply refused to let them do what they needed to do. Pixe does not appreciate things that are Not Pixie's Idea.

Yep.  That's brown tabby attitude (catitude).

• Like 4
  • LOL 1