Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

[b}Christina87[/b] - you are a sweet gal and any man that plays pick up sticks with your emotions isn't worth the time.  Screw him.  You've realized this already (thank heavens) and I'm glad you are gonna give him the shake off.  People like that...it's maddening because you want to be the better person, be fair, be civil...but some people just ain't worth the effort baby.  

I'm sorry about Kiwi as well -  I always say I love my animals way more than real people.  We have been lucky in that our elderly kitty has been pretty stable now for a bit but the decline is really becoming more noticable.  We've had extra time and I'm glad of that.  He's not suffering yet, still eating, but he seems a bit more confused and his gait isn't what it should be.  When everyday is torture and he shows signs of pain that will be it.  I'm not taking this one in...I've done the last two and my father's cat is also elderly and declining as well, and guess who's job that's going to be?  

We aren't doing a damned thing this year on X-mas day, other than finding a breakfast place open and going to see Aquaman hopefully.  Nobody is coming over, I didn't have to wrangle a menu for people, I didn't have to do deep cleaning around the house, you know, the shameful cleaning session when you realize oh shit, I haven't dusted the bookshelf in a month deal.  I'm so friggin happy!  I can't tell you how many holidays I hosted - I'd do X-mas Eve dinner for my one set of grandparents, then X-mas Eve with Mr Malotte's family, then have some fun cousins and drop in friends for X-mas Eve night - which was the fun part of the holiday, we'd stay up and do our own riff track session to whatever Pope's High Mass and Three Stooges Marathons til the early AM hours.  Then I'd have my mom's family over  on X-mas Day.  Oh yeah...busy times.  And that included Turkey Day and Easter.

They may not now, but 20 odd years from now when they have their own littles they will remember.  Bring out your inner drill sergeant and assign duties to whatever teen.  You do this, you do this, you do this...keep 'em occupied even if they don't like it.  They'll learn by osmosis, and who knows, one day one of those teens may surprise you and be the champion family recipe keeper.  Or they may come up with their own new traditions.    

I do think of Arwen and our various others that are missing and to all of you that have been ill as of late I send lots of good thoughts your way.  May you all have a lovely holiday and my gosh, let's all have a Happy New Year!

Awwwww thank you for the kind words!!! I hope your elderly cat can hold on. Sometimes it's almost harder to lose a pet, or have a sick one, because they can't understand what's happening to them. I hope your cat stays around to bring you joy for many more years!

merry Christmas, everybody!!!

• Love 8

@galaxychaser are they asking you to assume guardianship? Or does your cousin not want it and asking you to step into his place? It would probably behoove your cousin to look into some Sib support resources rather than just assuming you’ll take over (are you significantly younger than him or something)??

I get it, I redid my end of life paperwork this summer and reconfirmed with my friend (since she was here) that she would be my sister’s guardian if I should predecease my Mom. She’s my age, as we both get older I will need to look for someone else. But you have to ASK!!🤬🤬🤬

For those that don’t know me from the other boards my sister is a 30 year old 2yrs old (mental age 18months to 2yrs, no physical disablities)- If there’s one thing I know it’s toddlers, after 28 yrs in the terrible 2s I should!! She woke up at the crack of dawn today and got presents before her bath then went back to bed! What a life man. 

• Love 18

Our office was closed yesterday and today, but it's back at it tomorrow.  Working a few hours on NYE (ah the joys of working customer service) but off NY day.  Our office usually follows that same deal, holiday on a Sat/Sunday you get the previous/following work day off.  

Mini Malotte bailed on seeing Aquaman today - so we'll go this coming weekend.  Frankly I'm beat today anyway.  But - I did get Crazy Rich Asians on blu ray so we will be watching that later.  What a fun movie, and it's usually not in a genre I like - but it's made my top ten of the year.  What I would like to proclaim is that TCM is bring back To Kill A Mockingbird as part of their events series, and if you can see it on the big screen please do - it'll be showing March 24th and 27th 2019.  I think some of the other TCM selections aren't always the best in the theatre but this one...if you can please go. 

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

@galaxychaser are they asking you to assume guardianship? Or does your cousin not want it and asking you to step into his place? It would probably behoove your cousin to look into some Sib support resources rather than just assuming you’ll take over (are you significantly younger than him or something)??

I get it, I redid my end of life paperwork this summer and reconfirmed with my friend (since she was here) that she would be my sister’s guardian if I should predecease my Mom. She’s my age, as we both get older I will need to look for someone else. But you have to ASK!!🤬🤬🤬

For those that don’t know me from the other boards my sister is a 30 year old 2yrs old (mental age 18months to 2yrs, no physical disablities)- If there’s one thing I know it’s toddlers, after 28 yrs in the terrible 2s I should!! She woke up at the crack of dawn today and got presents before her bath then went back to bed! What a life man. 

I didn’t sign anything or was asked. I was told I’m going to be her caretaker. She is 4 years old maybe mentally.  Her brother is 9 years older than her. He is 8 years older than me. We are all over 30 way over lol.  

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I didn’t sign anything or was asked. I was told I’m going to be her caretaker. She is 4 years old maybe mentally.  Her brother is 9 years older than her. He is 8 years older than me. We are all over 30 way over lol.  

You were TOLD. Wow people are bold. Told?!! My mouth is agape. Why doesn’t he take care of his own sister?!!! Ummmmm.

Okay I will calm down. Woooo Saaaa. This grinds my gears I’m sure you understand. I’m highly offended on your behalf. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

just saw it! AWESOME!!!!!   that aquaman actor ...o.m.g!!!

Jason Momoa? 

I had a male coworker who was obviously experiencing some inadequacy just looking at pictures of Momoa. He kept rather loudly insisting he didn't understand why any woman would find Momoa attractive.

And every woman in the room (from their 20s to their 50s) laughed their asses off at him before loudly declaring that, um, yes Jason Momoa is a very hot man.

Male coworker with an inferiority complex shut down fast. Lol

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Scarlett45 I can tell you have such a good heart. ❤️ I'm sure you are awesome with your sister! Your family is honestly so lucky to have you. 

• Love 5

I said okay because I don’t want WW3. I highly doubt her mom is going anywhere anytime soon.

I got bigger problems to worry about.

its my birthday today and I will treat myself to a movie and lunch.  Maybe I will have an okay day. 

Have a a nice day everyone.

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I said okay because I don’t want WW3. I highly doubt her mom is going anywhere anytime soon.

its my birthday today and I will treat myself to a movie and lunch.  Maybe I will have an okay day. 

Happy Birthday!!!

Jason Momoa is VERY sexy. Lisa Bonnet gets all the hot men! First Lennie Kravtiz then him🥰🥰🥰😍. 

9 hours ago, Christina87 said:

@Scarlett45 I can tell you have such a good heart. ❤️ I'm sure you are awesome with your sister! Your family is honestly so lucky to have you. 

You are very sweet to me. People have always said that, and I have just felt that I’m doing my duty. This is my family they belong to me. Then I got involved in my Sib support work and realized my Mom could’ve gotten my sister AND a lazy dipshit who refuses to help or pay for anything and then just lament how they feel “guilty” and didnt get all the attention growing up. 🙄

Mom and I are lucky to have each other. And of course my sister is the luckiest because she lives in the lap of luxury surrounded by all the things she wants. 

Happy Boxing Day everyone!! I’m headed back to the office. 

• Love 10
19 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Do you US lot get any time off over Christmas? Here, we'll have 2 proper Bank Holiday days, 25th and 26th, and usually at least half a day off for the 24th. 

What about 1st January, is that a Bank holiday or do you have to take a holiday if you want it off?

As noted, Christmas and New Year’s are national holidays, so everyone either doesn’t have to work or gets paid extra for working.  I’m in the medical field, so someone has to work the holidays. Those  working in essential services in hospitals and such usually rotate the holidays, so everyone gets one or the other.  The nurses at the hospital have to work the eve of one and the day of the other (Christmas Eve/New Year’s Day or Christmas Day/New Year’s Eve) and they alternate year to year.  They’re allowed to trade amongst themselves and often do.  They also try to staff as lightly as possible, so not everyone who’s on deck for the holidays has to work although many want that holiday pay and have an alternative holiday plan for their families anyway.

As a resident, I got 4 days at either Christmas or New Year’s. It was based on seniority, so the upper level people picked first and the rest got what was left , so I worked Christmas my first 2 years and  New Years the last 2. That tradition continues. I had Christmas dinner with old friends yesterday.  Their daughter is a second year ortho resident in Michigan and was working yesterday.  So, my friend is doing another Christmas dinner in a few days with her daughter and son in law.  They’re waiting to open presents until she can be there, too.  

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Happy Birthday and I hope you have an awesome day full of the little things that give you joy. 

Enjoy your lunch and movie. 

• Love 5
On 12/24/2018 at 12:14 PM, Love2dance said:

Wishing all my Small Talk friends who are celebrating a lovely holiday. And for those who have had a difficult and challenging year, I wish you a much happier New Year. It does feel special to belong to this caring group, and I treasure our cyber friendships.

^^Ditto!^^ 

(I'm too exhausted from my lovely Grands to type anything original) 😂

• Love 3

@MunichNark, what @doodlebug said. Similar situation in the emergency services. We have a firefighter and a police officer in my local extended family. In the early years of their careers, each of them often worked Christmas Day.  Same for Thanksgiving Day, Labor Day and other "official" holidays. It generally boiled down to seniority, as @doodlebug mentioned. The lower on the ladder, the less likely you got your choice of days off/shifts. As they've built up more seniority/rank, we're more likely to have them with us for family Christmas celebrations, as we did this year. 

This holiday discussion reminds me of a visit to London several years ago with a friend. We'd been there a few times before, but usually as a short "theater" break in February (taking advantage of the three-day President's Day (US only) holiday weekend to maximize our leave from our jobs). This time we scheduled it in early Spring, not giving any thought to the fact that we were arriving for Easter weekend. We didn't think about it because there are no official (bank) US holidays for Easter. We discovered for ourselves that the UK observes Good Friday and Easter Monday as bank holidays. It didn't affect us tragically, but IIRC there were some things closed on those holidays that we had expected to be open.

Happy birthday, @galaxychaser!!!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

As noted, Christmas and New Year’s are national holidays, so everyone either doesn’t have to work or gets paid extra for working.  I’m in the medical field, so someone has to work the holidays. 

My Jewish  son-in-law (who is a doctor) always volunteers to work every Christmas so someone who celebrates can be with their family. 

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 16
45 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

My Jewish  son-in-law (who is a doctor) always volunteers to work every Christmas so someone who celebrates can be with their family. 

That’s nice. When my Mom was taking call (officially off the call schedule this year!!) she always took Father’s Day after Grandfather died so other people could celebrate. 

Not the exact same thing but I do work around the holidays because all my family lives in chicago and I don’t need travel time. Better others have those days so that they can see their family. One day off is enough for me. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

When I was a resident, a lot of the Internal Medicine residents were Jewish. They would volunteer for Christmas and, then, do a group ski trip over New Years that was a lot of drunken fun from what I’ve heard.  A few of the Christian medical residents would volunteer for Christmas each year so they could join them.

In my residency, we only had a couple of Jewish guys and they and their wives,also Jewish, liked Christmas trees and Santa Claus, etc, so they also wanted Christmas off.  I recall one residents’ meeting where one of my colleagues pointed out they were actually celebrating winter solstice and should do it on the 21 and leave Christmas to the Christians.  I believe the words were ‘pagan ritual with a bush’ were used.

My first partners were Hindu.  One always volunteered to work Christmas.  She said that, when her kids were young, they had a tree and Santa came, but, over time, it felt false to her and they decided to stop.  She’d put a wreath on the door, send holiday cards; but nothing else.  She encouraged her kids to look at it as an opportunity to work for others who celebrated it as part of their faith.  My other partner, also Hindu, did the whole 9 yards with a tree and Santa, the works.  Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7

Last year a member of my extended family was in hospice at Christmas time. BTW, not a tragedy, he was very old and ready to go - and our local hospice, I learned, is a won.der.ful place. Incredibly skilled and caring staff, and a very nice facility. He had a dignified and peaceful passing there, with loved ones present. No condolences are necessary; of course he's missed but I'm really not sad when I think of him now.

I will always remember that Christmas day. A local Jewish organization does Christmas Mitzvah projects, and one of their projects was bringing in food at lunchtime at the hospice. And I mean - FOOD. Tables full of it. The volunteers were warm and gracious and delightful to talk with. And on a day when you couldn't run out and pick up a sandwich for lunch because everything's closed, it meant so much to have such an abundant lunch buffet right there at hand. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

As noted, Christmas and New Year’s are national holidays, so everyone either doesn’t have to work or gets paid extra for working.  I’m in the medical field, so someone has to work the holidays. Those  working in essential services in hospitals and such usually rotate the holidays, so everyone gets one or the other.  The nurses at the hospital have to work the eve of one and the day of the other (Christmas Eve/New Year’s Day or Christmas Day/New Year’s Eve) and they alternate year to year.  They’re allowed to trade amongst themselves and often do.  They also try to staff as lightly as possible, so not everyone who’s on deck for the holidays has to work although many want that holiday pay and have an alternative holiday plan for their families anyway.

As a resident, I got 4 days at either Christmas or New Year’s. It was based on seniority, so the upper level people picked first and the rest got what was left , so I worked Christmas my first 2 years and  New Years the last 2. That tradition continues. I had Christmas dinner with old friends yesterday.  Their daughter is a second year ortho resident in Michigan and was working yesterday.  So, my friend is doing another Christmas dinner in a few days with her daughter and son in law.  They’re waiting to open presents until she can be there, too.  

Not everyone who works holidays gets extra pay.  My roommate works in retail (three guesses as to who and the first two don’t count) and works most holidays for no extra pay whatsoever. When I worked I restaurants as a 20-something it was the same. Holiday pay is at the discretion of the employer and many employers suck. 

• Love 10

Galaxy--Happy Birthday!  I hope you enjoy your day, and 2019 is your best year yet!  

Christina--I was so sorry to hear about sweet Kiwi.  I hope her little friend is doing better now.  

I literally ran out the door this morning and went to Target in a hurry.  I completely dropped the ball on Mr. Six's gift, but Target came through.  I was able to price match an Apple HomePod and saved over $100.  I grabbed a clearance giftbag and stuck that puppy in the back of my car.  It's times like today, I'm glad we have their RedCard too.  Dinner has been started, and I have a long afternoon of cooking ahead of me.  I want nothing more than to open the meat & cheese tray that's in the fridge right now.  It's been calling my name since Saturday.  A holiday diet downfall, indeed.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Many Jewish communities in America have volunteer programs to help out on Christmas Day in hospitals and care homes, so that more staff can take the day off.  They will help with non-medical services such as delivering meals, taking new mothers in wheelchairs to visit their babies in intensive care, taking juice to new moms to keep their fluid levels high, etc.  Dallas, Texas, for example has hundreds of Jewish volunteers doing this every year.  They do this quietly, with little publicity outside of Jewish newspapers. They do this just to help their neighbors and their community.

• Love 12
24 minutes ago, sixlets said:

Galaxy--Happy Birthday!  I hope you enjoy your day, and 2019 is your best year yet!  

Christina--I was so sorry to hear about sweet Kiwi.  I hope her little friend is doing better now.  

I literally ran out the door this morning and went to Target in a hurry.  I completely dropped the ball on Mr. Six's gift, but Target came through.  I was able to price match an Apple HomePod and saved over $100.  I grabbed a clearance giftbag and stuck that puppy in the back of my car.  It's times like today, I'm glad we have their RedCard too.  Dinner has been started, and I have a long afternoon of cooking ahead of me.  I want nothing more than to open the meat & cheese tray that's in the fridge right now.  It's been calling my name since Saturday.  A holiday diet downfall, indeed.

Awwww, thank you!!!! Roy was really sad the first week (they all were! You could notice a big difference), but now is branching out with the other birds. I think they are finally finding their new normal, though we all miss kiwi. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

This is interesting, and reminds me of a funny story. The mean girl I went to high school with (definitely the Regina George) married this super hot doctor who could easily be an Abercrombie model, and loves to rub it in peoples' faces. Like...she is soooo bratty and awful, and no one has any idea how this guy puts up with it. She's pretty, but honestly nowhere near HIS level of hot! So anyway, she was bitching and moaning nonstop a few New Years eves ago...having a literal fit on fb. Every thirty minutes or so was a new "pity me" breakdown post about how horrible it was that "Cuddle Bear" was working and not home to kiss her (this girl doesn't have kids, and doesn't have to work either. She posts sob stories about how she's hung over on a weekday and has to go to the gym). It just got to the point where it was comical, and finally Cuddle Bear said he'd take her to Vegas to "make up for it." Then she posted a picture of them making out, bragging about how she would have him there to kiss her every other year for the rest of her life. Finally, this other girl couldn't hold her tongue, and said something like, "be thankful for what you have. My husband is working at the bar on New Year's Eve. At least yours is saving lives!!! Mine is working for basically no reason except to help people have a good time, and you don't see me complaining." It was hilarious, because what could she say back to that? She actually did shut up, and it was the funniest thing ever!!!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I will always remember that Christmas day. A local Jewish organization does Christmas Mitzvah projects, and one of their projects was bringing in food at lunchtime at the hospice.

I know that word! (it means a good deed.)

I have picked up many Jewish phrases and words from my son--in-law, and my daughter, (my daughter converted.)

My daughter and her 3 kids are visiting us right now since Nathan is working.

On Christmas Eve, my husband's family always has a birthday cake for Jesus, and holds hands around the table and someone prays (I don't pray, but I hold hands.)

After the (long) Christmas prayer (all in Spanish) was done, everyone started to drop hands. My six year old grandson Samuel then confusedly said "wait guys!  What about the other prayer?!" Then, of course, they asked him what prayer?

He said "the one for Challah"  (which is a braided bread) since he had seen some on the table. My daughter had  baked some and brought it to the party for everyone to try.

My daughter then explained that every Friday night they turned off all their electronics, said the prayer, and "broke bread" with each other.

One of my husband's brothers, who is a pastor, then said, "OH..ok...but we don't know that prayer, Samuel!"  He said "that's OK..I'll teach you." 

He got everyone to hold hands again, and recited the whole prayer himself, in Hebrew.

Everyone said Amen again and they all chuckled, and then we all pigged out. 🙃

Last thought:

Almost 50 years ago, when I joined their family, I knew how to make only a few dishes. So every single party, my go-to dish to bring was homemade potato salad. 

(I'm of German descent)

Fast forward 50 years, and  every single time they have a party, they must have the potato salad from the recipe I taught them to make.

Whether it's here in Illinois, or even over in Puerto Rico, it's a must have for family parties now.  It goes so well with arroz con gondules (Puerto Rican rice and chickpeas. 

I laughingly told them the other day that I better get credit for addicting everyone.

ummm where was I going with this rambling...OH! I know.

Everyone LOVED the homemade baked bread (Challah) she brought. It was gone in a flash, and everyone wants the recipe.

They said now we need Challah for the Christmas party each year, and Samuel to bless it. The end

(did anyone get this far?) 😂

PS if you like stand up comedy and Jewish life,and gorgeous clothing, watch:

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon Prime. Everyone I've told to watch it has gotten completely hooked.

[NOT FOR YOU IF PROFANITY OFFENDS!]

The pilot IS a bit slow in the first half, but I think you'll get addicted if you watched the whole first episode.  (sorry so blabby, I'm giddy with relief that my company is gone! )

Edited by ChiCricket
She's not amazing, she's marvelous :).
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I know that word! (it means a good deed.)

I have picked up many Jewish phrases and words from my son--in-law, and my daughter, (my daughter converted.)

My daughter and her 3 kids are visiting us right now since Nathan is working.

On Christmas Eve, my husband's family always has a birthday cake for Jesus, and holds hands around the table and someone prays (I don't pray, but I hold hands.)

After the (long) Christmas prayer (all in Spanish) was done, everyone started to drop hands. My six year old grandson Samuel then confusedly said "wait guys!  What about the other prayer?!" Then, of course, they asked him what prayer?

He said "the one for Challah"  (which is a braided bread) since he had seen some on the table. My daughter had  baked some and brought it to the party for everyone to try.

My daughter then explained that every Friday night they turned off all their electronics, said the prayer, and "broke bread" with each other.

One of my husband's brothers, who is a pastor, then said, "OH..ok...but we don't know that prayer, Samuel!"  He said "that's OK..I'll teach you." 

He got everyone to hold hands again, and recited the whole prayer himself, in Hebrew.

Everyone said Amen again and they all chuckled then we all pigged out. 🙃

Last thought:

Almost 50 years ago, when I joined their family, I knew how to make only a few dishes. So every single party, my go-to dish to bring was homemade potato salad. 

(I'm of German descent)

Fast forward 50 years, and  every single time they have a party, they must have

the potato salad  from the recipe I taught them to make.

Whether it's here in Illinois, or even over in Puerto Rico, it's a must have for family parties now.  It goes so well with arroz con gondules. I laughingly told them the other day that I better get credit for addicting everyone.

ummm where was I going with this rambling...OH! I know.

Everyone LOVED the homemade baked bread (Challah) she brought. It was gone in a flash, and everyone wants the recipe.

They said now we need Challah for the Christmas party each year, and Samuel to bless it. The end

(did anyone get this far?) 😂

The Amazing Mrs Maisel on Maisel on Amazon Prime. Everyone I've told to watch it has gotten completely hooked. [NOT FOR YOU IF PROFANITY OFFENDS!]

The pilot IS a bit slow in the first half, but I think you'll get addicted if you watched the whole first episode.  (sorry so blabby, I'm giddy with relief that my company is gone! )

And aren't all our lives richer and the holidays that much sweeter when we all share our traditions?  How wonderful that your family is able to come together and share themselves in such a special way!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Mollie said:

Many Jewish communities in America have volunteer programs to help out on Christmas Day in hospitals and care homes, so that more staff can take the day off.  They will help with non-medical services such as delivering meals, taking new mothers in wheelchairs to visit their babies in intensive care, taking juice to new moms to keep their fluid levels high, etc.  Dallas, Texas, for example has hundreds of Jewish volunteers doing this every year.  They do this quietly, with little publicity outside of Jewish newspapers. They do this just to help their neighbors and their community.

The highest form of giving in Judaism is anonymously, so, quietly is a good thing, high up on the list.  Can't be totally anonymous though!!

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

The highest form of giving in Judaism is anonymously, so, quietly is a good thing, high up on the list.  Can't be totally anonymous though!!

Oh..now I know why my daughter has been so quiet about it. She only spilled the beans because her siblings were wondering why Nathan never goes to any of our parties, but we've experienced Passover with them.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Oh..now I know why my daughter has been so quiet about it. She only spilled the beans because her siblings were wondering why Nathan never goes to any of our parties, but we've experienced Passover with them.

I'm not saying this is unique to Judaism, just that it there.  

• Love 6
11 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Happy Birthday!

• Love 2

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon Prime. Everyone I've told to watch it has gotten completely hooked.

I agree. I’m not Jewish, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying the originality and hilarity that ensued. A good recommendation ChiCricket. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Not everyone who works holidays gets extra pay.  My roommate works in retail (three guesses as to who and the first two don’t count) and works most holidays for no extra pay whatsoever. When I worked I restaurants as a 20-something it was the same. Holiday pay is at the discretion of the employer and many employers suck. 

Yes, I have worked quite a few jobs where I was forced to work on the holidays and didn’t get paid extra.

• Love 5

I’m working today from the comfort of my home office. The end of year benefits world is crazy. Very grateful I’m able to do so. DH surprised me with a dual monitor set up and it rocks.  We have a big snowstorm moving in and I relish the flexibility to work in. Y jammies.

• Love 7

My husband is Christian and works with Orthodox Jews.  A perfect match for holidays!  Never ever a problem.  Friends want friends to enjoy their special days!  I love it when people can respect each other.  I work with all Muslims and never a problem either. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Happy birthday @galaxychaser!!! Let's have a virtual party!!! 

Cool , galaxychaser, what kind of cake do you like. I can make a mean chocolate cake and I will frost it like my mother used to, she would make a batch of fudge and pour over the cake.

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Love 10
17 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Cool , galaxychaser, what kind of cake do you like. I can make a mean chocolate cake and I will frost it like my mother used to, she would make a batch of fudge and pour over the cake.

My birthday is in August. Just saying. 

• Love 12

I want to try to show you why I'm so exhausted.

This is my husband's side of the family. Not sure anyone can see it, but I'll try to share it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=976437565889978&id=100005712306792

It's called a parranda, where they go from one family's house to another, and bring the music and the party with them. It is wild, and crowded, and loads of fun. (It took me many years to get used to.) Now I love it.

PS my side of the family played Dirty Santa.

The only excitement came from someone trying to pass off a thin plastic

dollar store tray as a $20 Dirty Santa present.

We all knew who it was from immediately. They pull this every year, but this year it was so obvious.They have plenty of money, but they're extreme cheapskates.

I wouldn't be surprised if they reuse their toilet paper. 😂

PS I have eleven of my fourteen grandkids sleeping over in my itty bitty house tonight, and I'm about to lose my mind! (my husband and I are in our room pretending we don't hear them stomping around upstairs and still wide awake). Cousins!❤

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 10
39 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

PS I have eleven of my fourteen grandkids sleeping over in my itty bitty house tonight, and I'm about to lose my mind! (my husband and I are in our room pretending we don't hear them stomping around upstairs and still wide awake). Cousins!❤

You get the grandparents of the year award. I cannot imagine hosting a sleepover with that many kids. You are awesome!

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

You get the grandparents of the year award. I cannot imagine hosting a sleepover with that many kids. You are awesome!

Thank you..but I do think I'm nuts.

I'd have the other four over in a heartbeat if they werent stationed in Germany right now. Don't know where they'd sleep though.😂

I even got the ever elusive teenage grandaughter who must spend every waking second attached to her boyfriend to come and sleep over (sans boyfriend, of course!)

Because...again.... out of state COUSINS❤

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Thank you..but I do think I'm nuts.

I'd have the other four over in a heartbeat if they werent stationed in Germany right now. Don't know where they'd sleep though.😂

I even got the ever elusive teenage grandaughter who must spend every waking second attached to her boyfriend to come and sleep over (sans boyfriend, of course!)

Because...again.... out of state COUSINS❤

Doesn’t sound like they (or you) are going to get much sleep anyway, so you wouldn’t need too many more beds for the Germany grands! Have a great rest of your night. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

It's called a parranda,

That sounds like Hogmanay in Scotland except we even knock on strangers doors. As long as we have a lump of coal (to represent heat), bread and whisky (that’s the correct spelling for the booze over there) the person is supposed to invite us in. I’ve done it and it’s wild how people let strangers in. I’m surprised it flies today with crime etc. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Fix something
  • Love 7

My teenage daughter is being rude and just generally awful to be around.  

I took her phone. Not sure who is punished more by this.

I've had enough of her.  Only so much can be tossed up to "teens". 

Please tell me it gets better.  She is my oldest girl.  

• Love 11

Guys I have been coughing since the delivery man put his lips upon my person!!! Ugh. I’m getting better but it’s so aggravating. 

The only good thing is I have no appetite so I can eat tiny amounts of sweets and have lost 6lbs (trust I have many many extra pounds to lose). 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Guys I have been coughing since the delivery man put his lips upon my person!!! Ugh. I’m getting better but it’s so aggravating. 

The only good thing is I have no appetite so I can eat tiny amounts of sweets and have lost 6lbs (trust I have many many extra pounds to lose). 

For you, I’m still skeeved out by that inappropriate touch. How nice of him to share his germs (cooties) with you *sarcasm*.  Feel better soon. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 4