Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

47 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Yehp, I think I'll bow out of the Prayer Closet. I have enough real life stuff to deal with without being niggled by a mean girl. Thanks to you who have supported me though. Y'all take care.

Please stay. We love you and would miss you.

• Love 3

This might be off topic but here goes. We are at our subdivision pool. A woman I've not seen before arrived dressed in what looks like Muslim garb. She has a baby. They are in the pool. She is wearing the entire outfit. Head covering and long pants and flowy top. Doesn't look comfortable. 

Responding to lookeyloo.  It sounds like an Islamically correct bathing suit.  The ladies I know who wear them say they are pretty comfy.   The fabric is very light.  I live in a community with a large Muslim population and they're ubiquitous at the pool year-round.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Platypus said:

Responding to lookeyloo.  It sounds like an Islamically correct bathing suit.  The ladies I know who wear them say they are pretty comfy.   The fabric is very light.  I live in a community with a large Muslim population and they're ubiquitous at the pool year-round.

Thanks for the info. I am glad to hear they are comfortable. 

(edited)
12 hours ago, Platypus said:

Islamic women, particularly those who live in / grew up in more conservative countries have found ways to participate in life and be comfortable. I find the lines and flow of most Islamic women's dress to be far more flattering to the body and countenance  than these prairie frumpers á la Kim Davis and Terrified Maxwell. 

The lightweight fabrics developed for Olympic swimmers have also been a boon in helping Muslim women stay modest and have freedom of movement. People who live in deserts cover up every inch of skin to protect themselves from the elements, out of necessity.  I think under those circumstances that modesty is just a bonus.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

@MunichNark:. At the risk of sounding 100% my age, what's an OAP?  And did it go well?

I'm obviously not @MunichNark, but here ya go. It's a term used in the UK, short for "Old Age Pensioner." I think it's generally the same population we in the US call "senior citizens" or just "seniors." 

(edited)

Ok...so, yes.  ME.

thanks Jeeves

i was also interested in the Muslim clothing convo above.  We don't have a Muslim population to speak of in our own community, although a couple towns over there is a mosque.  I've been at the stoplight when their services ended, and watched them exit.  The American converts (which seems to be most of that congregation) seems to prefer flowers and prints.  There is still a definite thumbs up to modesty and complete coverage.  It still looks hot, but hey, I am exactly one generation out of the Amish faith, so.....

we went on a cruise once many moons ago where there happened to be a very, very handsome couple (newlyweds) from Saudi traveling with us.  He owned that girl.  I love to ask about other cultures, so I tried to make conversations with her.  [My theory being I'd rather ask and be friendly about it than rely on conjecture. i AM that person who will ask directly how you lost that leg but I'll make you comfortable with it and we'll be friends].   If I did try to speak with her, he would always show up and stand there.  she would look to him before answering.  When we saw her, she was clad head to toe in black, flowy material.  Always black.  I remember seeing her face (she was beautiful), but I also remember that much of the time, her face was covered from the nose down.   He walked about in the Bahamas in shorts, mostly with no shirt.  He partied big and loud, She was rarely with him.  When she was, she was apart from everyone else and secondary.  He was enjoying time with friends, seemed to be mightily enjoying himself.  She was an afterthought.  Mostly she stayed in their room.  But I described all that to say this: we visited a port that offered snorkeling, wind sailing (or whatever you call that when you're pulled by a boat), jet ski, etc.. 

They went on a jet ski.  It took a minute to get her situated, and we had to paddle around in the harbor to get on the thing, but she gamely climbed on, pulled and tugged and got everything covered and off they went.  He in his shorts, shirtless, and she in her black not-quite-burqa with a loose piece of black scarf trailing behind them.  I didn't dare take a pic, but it's a mental image that's stayed with me for all these years.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 2
(edited)

Saudi Arabia must be a living hell.

I used to see a young African Muslim lady on the train each day (in Australia).  She wore skinny jeans and her hijab was either glomesh or sequined. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1
On July 27, 2016 at 8:19 PM, Platypus said:

Our YMCA used to have a swim instructor (I think she finished college and moved) who just wore a suit that looked like what competitive swimmers wear - sleeves and legs - but with a extra very slim skirt attached. Sometimes she added a swim scarf, but the top of the suit had an attached fitted 'hood' so sometimes she didn't. She just looked ready to jump into the olympics to me.

this was an indoor pool, so I guess the sun didn't matter. The suits were usually some sort of black, blue, dark green, etc. I guess whatever Nike or whoever makes competitive swimwear makes.

besides the headpiece, I never understood why he Duggars didn't go this route instead of Jose ridiculous dresses.

13 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Our YMCA used to have a swim instructor (I think she finished college and moved) who just wore a suit that looked like what competitive swimmers wear - sleeves and legs - but with a extra very slim skirt attached. Sometimes she added a swim scarf, but the top of the suit had an attached fitted 'hood' so sometimes she didn't. She just looked ready to jump into the olympics to me.

this was an indoor pool, so I guess the sun didn't matter. The suits were usually some sort of black, blue, dark green, etc. I guess whatever Nike or whoever makes competitive swimwear makes.

besides the headpiece, I never understood why he Duggars didn't go this route instead of Jose ridiculous dresses.

Because...they're Speshul!!! 

On 28.7.2016 at 6:43 AM, Happyfatchick said:

@MunichNark:. At the risk of sounding 100% my age, what's an OAP?  And did it go well?

OAP is Britspeak then, for ehm, not sure what is stands for exactly, but it's a pensioner. A retired person.

As I managed to resoundedly smack my head against a wooden pillar in the attic, it didn't happen. Mehh

10 hours ago, MunichNark said:

OAP is Britspeak then, for ehm, not sure what is stands for exactly, but it's a pensioner. A retired person.

As I managed to resoundedly smack my head against a wooden pillar in the attic, it didn't happen. Mehh

Ouch!!! Take care, MUNICHNARK. ?

• Love 1

Has anyone had gallbladder problems? I've had a dull ache on the right side for a few weeks and flare ups a few hours after (usually) dinner, when I consume fats. Last Wednesday, I had a cheeseburger and fries, and that night paid dearly; I was doubled over in pain like someone had stabbed me in the  upper stomach, around my liver. Last night, just a piece of chicken doubled me over a few hours later. Does this sound like the gallbladder? It's definitely SOMETHING, and it seems tied in with consumption of fats. 

Calling the doctor tomorrow; I go back to work in a couple of weeks for meetings, but that may be an issue if this is serious. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Has anyone had gallbladder problems? I've had a dull ache on the right side for a few weeks and flare ups a few hours after (usually) dinner, when I consume fats. Last Wednesday, I had a cheeseburger and fries, and that night paid dearly; I was doubled over in pain like someone had stabbed me in the  upper stomach, around my liver. Last night, just a piece of chicken doubled me over a few hours later. Does this sound like the gallbladder? It's definitely SOMETHING, and it seems tied in with consumption of fats. 

Calling the doctor tomorrow; I go back to work in a couple of weeks for meetings, but that may be an issue if this is serious. 

No gall bladder experience here, but good idea to get it checked out.

• Love 1

It sounds like gallbladder to me.  It frequently only gets worse which it sounds like yours is.  Fortunately if they can get you in quickly for surgery with the laporoscopic kind recovery is fairly quick.

• Love 2

Thanks for the backup. What's strange is that the only risk factor I have is being female and my age (40+). I could stand to lose 5-10 lbs., but I usually think of bigger women with the problems. Well, fuck. 

• Love 1

I'm told they call the risk factor for gall bladders the three "F's".  Fair, Fat, (sorry!) and Forty.

I was (still am, well, I was fifty which starts with an F) all three about 8 years ago when I had classic symptoms.  If ultrasounds hadn't been invented at that time they would have taken my gall bladder out.   But, scheduled me for an ultra sound and not a stone to be found.  Upper and lower GI, found nothing.  They deduced it was "acid reflux", which I think is what they say when they don't know what is wrong.  The symptoms honestly just went away over time.  

Definatley get it checked out, but it could be nothing.

4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Sounds like the gall bladder to me too. Mine would flare up like that after eating stuff like fried food or desserts. Don't let them tell you it's reflux and have them prescribe an antacid.  I suffered needlessly for months until the point I was up all night in agony. It wasn't until I saw a female NP that she knew it wasn't reflux or an ulcer and sent me for an ultrasound to get a correct diagnosis.

• Love 1

Yeah, it's waking me up in the  middle of the night. And I've had the reflux symptoms at night as well. I will demand an ultrasound, but after I describe the pain, I think she'll send me for one anyway. 

Thanks for sharing! 

• Love 1

Mine eventually gave me gallbladder pancreatitis, which can be very serious. No insurance at that time, so I ended up in ER for a day before they had an open bed, then a week in the hospital including surgery. Luckily no problems since.

Let us know how it goes, Sew.  And @MunichNark - you hit your head hard enough you couldn't function???  Holy crap!  Your English is excellent, by the way.  Have you spent time in the states?

lazy Sunday:. I had my shirt on inside out yesterday and didn't realize it until 5 or 6, and only then because the little tab flap was tickling my arm on the side.  I guess we can safely say vanity isn't one of my hang ups in life.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 4

Sew Sumi - add me to your list of armchair docs by saying it does sound like gallbladder.  Mr. Barb had his removed over 30 yrs ago & it was the fatty foods that triggered his attacks.  I Worked with a gal that was having symptoms like yours but decided putting off seeing her doc.  Thanksgiving dinner did her in with a bad attack & she ended up in the ER, followed by immediate gallbladder removal surgery. Glad you're having it checked out.  

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Thanks for the backup. What's strange is that the only risk factor I have is being female and my age (40+). I could stand to lose 5-10 lbs., but I usually think of bigger women with the problems. Well, fuck. 

Don't feel too bad about it.  My skinny 24 year old had to have hers out.

• Love 3

If it comes even to a lappy, I won't be up in a day. I had the appendix out in '08, and I was in the hospital for 5 days! So was my 40 something roommate, who had her appendectomy right after me. They don't release you until you poop. ?

• Love 1

All this surgery talk makes me cringe. My husband told me he could get a video of his kidney transplant to watch. I probably would get sick to my stomach and pass out within the first five minutes of watching it.

22 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yep, sounds like gallbladder. Eliminate fat. Read labels. Start out with 0 fat and move to 2% and so on until you figure out what works. They gave me graham crackers in the hospital that were 2% and made me sick. Things like crackers, white meat chicken and chamomile tea for the tummy. It will probably calm down and you can manage it and up your fat as you feel better.

20 hours ago, kathe5133 said:

I'm told they call the risk factor for gall bladders the three "F's".  Fair, Fat, (sorry!) and Forty.

I was (still am, well, I was fifty which starts with an F) all three about 8 years ago when I had classic symptoms.  If ultrasounds hadn't been invented at that time they would have taken my gall bladder out.   But, scheduled me for an ultra sound and not a stone to found.  Upper and lower GI, found nothing.  They deduced it was "acid reflux", which I think is what they say when they don't know what is wrong.  The symptoms honestly just went away over time.  

Definatley get it checked out, but it could be nothing.

Interesting about acid reflux because I've been to the ER twice with my mom because she thought it was her heart. Nope, AR.

And speaking of fun medical procedures...I go see the dentist tomorrow for another teeth cleaning. Joy..Joy...  I guess they want to make sure my gums and teeth are healthy due to the Sleep Apnea, TMJ, and Acid Reflux.

2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

If it comes even to a lappy, I won't be up in a day. I had the appendix out in '08, and I was in the hospital for 5 days! So was my 40 something roommate, who had her appendectomy right after me. They don't release you until you poop. ?

That isn't a concern any more.  Many doctors and hospitals do the gallbladder as same day surgery.  I stayed overnight because my blood pressure has a bad habit of bottoming out around midnight after general anesthesia.  They never asked about pooping.

• Love 1

Ugh, I'm in the middle of a dental procedure as well. After my attack Tuesday night, I had to sit in a dentist's chair for THREE HOURS Wednesday morning to get the drilling done for my temporary crown. They can't get me back in for TWO WEEKS to get the permanent one put in. So, if I need surgery (hopefully not, no symptoms at all yesterday or so far today), I can't do it until the 16th. 

• Love 1

As someone said above a stop gap measure is to compulsively count fat grams.  I delayed my surgery for a daughter's schedule since she had to take off work to be there  -  she insisted on being there.

My diet Is on the lower fat side already. That burger and fries I had last week that brought on the first attack were the first I'd had in over a year! But now that you all confirmed what I suspected, I can be vigilant. 

Thanks again for the help and advice. :)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, emma675 said:

I had my thyroid out almost 3 years ago and was only in overnight. They basically cut my neck in half and released me the next day, lol.

They send you home the next morning after a mastectomy! I hate insurance companies that set these ridiculous guidelines. 

• Love 1

I had something new happen when I had my teeth cleaned.  The hygienist now wears an EXTREMELY bright light on her head in addition to the light already on her goggles.  Even closing my eyes is not enough protection.  And then, when it reflects in the dental mirror, it is like a laser right in the eyes.  It really hurts!  The first time with the new light I was wearing a knitted scarf, which I immediately put over my face.  That helped some, but not enough.  Last week I showed up at the dentist's office with a sleep black-out mask.  That worked pretty well, but I need to find one that doesn't let the light come in around the nose.  She said some patients complain that the light gives them migraines.  I guess I'm lucky that I only have pain........

Yikes! I had my teeth cleaned in early July (when they found the broken filling and fractured tooth that needed the crown) and didn't experience anything like that! It was quite pedestrian.

that sounds totally uncomfortable.

on another front, i have been slowl.y moving for two days, today being the 3rd. carload by carload.  big truck on saturday for furniture.  i might just die from exhaustion.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

that sounds totally uncomfortable.

on another front, i have been slowl.y moving for two days, today being the 3rd. carload by carload.  big truck on saturday for furniture.  i might just die from exhaustion.

I feel your pain.  We moved to another state but took carloads each time we came to check on things and then a Haul and then the moving truck.  Very tiring and I still can't find my pyrex measuring cups which I know I packed and no boxes were lost or misplaced.  I wonder where I packed them.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, zoomama said:

thats funny, lookyloo, because my pyrex measuring cups are on the kitchen sink in the new house. never made it to a box...

And mine are in a box that I haven't totally unpacked. I guess.  I also can't find my bottle of chambord and I think those boxes could be on a higher shelf than I can reach without getting Mr. lookeyloo down there which he would if I could remember to ask him.  The basement isn't at all spooky - walk out with windows, but, alas, when I spend a lot of my time checking up on the duggers, leaves less time for those endeavors!!

• Love 3

My teeth cleaning appointment has been changed again for the fourth time in two weeks. I started with an appointment on Wednesday August 31st. My husband's pickup needs a few repairs, but we cannot afford them right now, so he takes the car. He also has an appointment on the 31st to see the kidney specialist at 1:30 p.m. (my appointment was at 1:00 p.m.) I decided to change my one appointment because trying to figure out how I would get to his doctor office after my teeth cleaning because my appointment would not take as long as his (yes I could walk from the dentist office to the hospital, but walking makes the chest pressure/tightness worse especially if it is hot out.) They changed the appointment to the August 30th in the afternoon. I get a phone call yesterday saying they need to change my appointment again. I got a time for today, but once again, they called me this morning to say they need to change the time again, so I have one at noon next Tuesday. I am waiting to see if they change it again. *lol*