Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I would love to know what my dog dreams about. She is one who runs, yips, whines and cries in her sleep all the time. Right now she's sleeping on the couch next to me with one leg twitching and her lip curling back every once in a while

• Love 4

Well NikSac, that is a game changer! How do people have that much time to make up that many lies? Wow!

Thank you, my daughter was born at 37 weeks, with special needs (diagnosed while I was pregnant) and IUGR. After a two week NICU stay and a heart surgery at 4 months we are good to go! Thanks again!

• Love 7

Thank you, my daughter was born at 37 weeks, with special needs (diagnosed while I was pregnant) and IUGR. After a two week NICU stay and a heart surgery at 4 months we are good to go! Thanks again!

That's great news! My gosh heart surgery at 4 months, I would be a basketcase, but I know you do what you have to do. I'm happy for you and for her.

Not sure how this works, so bear with me if I mess up...just wanted to see whether I could post a photo of a painting I just (mostly) finished. I have a bunch of half-done pieces lying around and always seem to either get aggravated because they are not cooperating, or I like they way they are coming and am scared to do more for fear of messing them up. I actually started this one almost a year ago, liked the sky, and kept getting painter's block over the water. But I think I'm actually reasonably happy with it now and just felt like sharing :)

12938352_10154006891312778_7470173685702

• Love 20

When I was younger, I would leave the house in the morning having to pee and not pee til I got home at night. Now that I'm older, Poise pads are part of my biweekly shopping list and I know every toilet along the 2 hour commute route to work and home, and have visited them all.

Regarding dreams. I dream I have to pee. I have to pee real bad. I find a bathroom and pee, but I either have to squat over a toilet so can't pee properly, or the toilet is clogged, or there is no tp. Finally I will find a toilet and pee to my hearts content. But then, I have to pee again and this continues until I wake up and thank god the bathroom is right across the hall! I marvel that I just don't pee the bed, since in the dream is so vivid and I really have to go! Hasn't happened yet knock wood!

• Love 2

Jynnan, I am (almost :)) speechless!!! O.M.G.!!!!!

Tell me you do something that allows you to use your talent for a living. You are fantastic, and I'm so jealous I'm actually in pain right now. Fabulous, and thanks for posting that! Post more!

Farmfam, I feel like we missed something with your daughter. We're pretty supportive around here (because most of us should be wearing support hose and wearing Depends, but we're FAR too "Maxine" for that), and I don't remember this. I'm glad all is well with your little girl. How frightening to go thru heart surgery at 4 months! Makes my heart skip a few beats, thinking what it must have been like for you. I'm glad she's doing well! Please keep us in the loop!

Kathe, guuuurl, you are GOING to pee that bed one night. Please tell us when that happens and we will delicately give you all manner of hell about it.

I'm home. (In my brick and mortar house instead of a moving one). This is what I've just relearned about the sure'nuff camper ownership club: It means your camper always looks like home, and your home always looks like a camper.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 3

Not sure how this works, so bear with me if I mess up...just wanted to see whether I could post a photo of a painting I just (mostly) finished. I have a bunch of half-done pieces lying around and always seem to either get aggravated because they are not cooperating, or I like they way they are coming and am scared to do more for fear of messing them up. I actually started this one almost a year ago, liked the sky, and kept getting painter's block over the water. But I think I'm actually reasonably happy with it now and just felt like sharing :)

That's beautiful!

• Love 2

I have synesthesia. I too thought everyone was like me until a few years ago. - I dream that I'm dreaming. Usually I dream I wake up from a dream in the morning and then later I wake up from that. I figure out things in my dreams. I collect info subconsciously and then analyse in my dreams and wake up with answers to questions or problems I didn't know I had. Consciously I will review a work problem (logic based) and then sleep on it and wake up with a solution. No wonder I am always exhausted my brain is always working.

gorgeous! I looked at it before I read your post and I thought it was a picture!
  • Love 2

I collect info subconsciously and then analyse in my dreams and wake up with answers to questions or problems I didn't know I had. Consciously I will review a work problem (logic based) and then sleep on it and wake up with a solution.

i WISH!!!! I go to bed stewing over a problem, and somewhere in the night, I bellow AHA!!!!! THATS IT!!!!! I sleep better the rest of the night, because I have SOLVED the problem. When I wake up the next morning, I am always so excited to implement my newfound solution. Almost without fail, I realize in just a few minutes that I have, in fact, come to the stupidest conclusion in the history of mankind. WHAT a let-down! However, I have fought over designs way into the wee hours, and learned this: if I fight with something for hours and hours, and just give up and go to bed, in the morning, I can go in there and have the design done in less than 30 minutes. I keep fighting because it's riiiiiiight THERE, you know? I can SMELL it. When in reality, if I would give it up and rest, THEN it's riiiiiight there.

I played piano in churches for over 30 years. Taught Sunday School almost that long as well. I never remember dreaming I was about to teach totally unprepared. But I dreamed all the time that I had walked in, seated myself on the piano bench and didn't have a clue what I was supposed to play. There's no music near me. There's nothing but that sinking feeling that I'm supposed to DO something...

• Love 1

On the dream thing, has anyone ever had like a dream in a dream in a dream? like once I was sleeping and I woke up and went to the bathroom, but my place was just too clean to be my place, right, and there was this sense that something was coming, but then I woke up. Then I was like "okay, freaky" and I went to the bathroom, but my place was too clean to be my place again, and then I woke up, THEN I was like "okay let's not do anything, take a deep breath," but I was like paralyzed and I couldn't move. Then I woke up again.

Is that weird, or? I tend to dream vividly but not like that.

I have dreams like that sometimes. They are very creepy. Sometimes I realize I'm dreaming and in my sleep I try to yell that I can't wake up, hoping that in real life my husband will hear me and wake me up. It is a panicky feeling. Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 3

That is an absolutely stunning picture, JYNNAN TONNIX! I really hope you finish and post some others! And, if you wish, sell them to lucky buyers!

So glad your baby girl is doing well, FARMFAM! Happy hugs!

Edited by Love2dance

I have dreams like that sometimes. They are very creepy. Sometimes I realize I'm dreaming and in my sleep I try to yell that I can't wake up, hoping that in real life my husband will hear me and wake me up. It is a panicky feeling.

I've had these more times than I care to remember!  I read an article about it one time, I'll see if I can find it again. It has something to do with your body releasing something to keep you 'paralyzed' while you're asleep, but it doesn't wear off as fast as it should when you start to wake up. It's the same thing that's generally lacking in people who sleepwalk, if I remember right. Maybe someone else is more familiar with the details. I loved the article because it was such an "ah ha" moment for me. I never understood that horrible feeling before. It still panics me but at least I have some idea what it is.

• Love 3

Whoa Jynnan, what a beautiful painting!! The sky, waves, sand dune, fisherman ... just wow!!!

And Kathe - I have the pee dreams too, I try multiple bathrooms in my dreams and there gross, broken, occupied, down long hallways, have no doors or privacy ... and sure enough, I wake up and have to pee.

• Love 2

When I was younger, I would leave the house in the morning having to pee and not pee til I got home at night. Now that I'm older, Poise pads are part of my biweekly shopping list and I know every toilet along the 2 hour commute route to work and home, and have visited them all.

Regarding dreams. I dream I have to pee. I have to pee real bad. I find a bathroom and pee, but I either have to squat over a toilet so can't pee properly, or the toilet is clogged, or there is no tp. Finally I will find a toilet and pee to my hearts content. But then, I have to pee again and this continues until I wake up and thank god the bathroom is right across the hall! I marvel that I just don't pee the bed, since in the dream is so vivid and I really have to go! Hasn't happened yet knock wood!

I drink lots of water throughout every day and I feel like my life is similar to your dream! With the important exception that I am always able to find relief/release and am good to (not) go for a while. Thank goodness. I remember my mom once remarking, You water drinkers, either you're looking for water or you're looking for a bathroom!

Had never heard of seeing numbers in color. I am able to read upside-down text and always assumed everyone could. Nope.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2
I used to have quite vivid dreams of driving off a cliff but having the plummet stopped by landing on a branch in a tree.

I used to have dreams where I either tripped and fell, or fell off a cliff, then waking up with a bounce in bed. I told my sister about the dreams and found out she used to jump off cliffs in her dreams just to have that bounce!

Lately, my most vivid dreams are me (by the way in my dreams, I'm not old, or really young, about in my thirties state (about 20 years younger than my age now). Healthier and thinner than I am now, but not unrealistically strong. I guess we dream the way we see/feel about ourselves or what we would be without our health issues.) in houses. Sometimes I own them (but they are not my house I live in awake) other times I'm a guest. Like Happy, they are gorgeous and with tons of rooms and always near water, either on a cliff near the ocean or near a stream with waterfalls.  

My most vivid dream I remember from years ago; I was a guest in a luxurious manor house, with a fabulous, very charming host.  The party was very high class, and I felt a little over my head, but everyone kept commenting they were very honored as they had the bedroom next to the host.  I finally was alone with him and asked him about this, and he laughed. It turned out that the rooms revolved so they were all next to him at one time or another and they never knew the rooms revolved. I felt honored he told me, as I was the only guest who knew about the arrangement. Then I woke up. Odd dream.

• Love 3

Old saying " you married him for better or worse , not for lunch , "

My husband just retired from a job that had him out of the house for two weeks and then home for two weeks.

Now he's home every. single. day. Practically every hour of every. single. day.

I think my head is going to explode. Calgon take me (or him) away.

I miss my super quiet home alone time. Enjoy yours!

Old saying " you married him for better or worse , not for lunch , "

• Love 6

I am ancient and I get up multiple times in the night to pee. Not a problem, really, because I fall back to sleep easily. Recently, however, I had a brownie hot fudge sundae for supper (instead of anything sensible!) and I slept through the night. Hmm....

• Love 5

I am ancient and I get up multiple times in the night to pee. Not a problem, really, because I fall back to sleep easily. Recently, however, I had a brownie hot fudge sundae for supper (instead of anything sensible!) and I slept through the night. Hmm....

Sugar coma?

• Love 2

Whoa! So many things I would like to respond to this morning; so many bits and pieces that strike a chord!

First of all, thanks to everyone who commented on/"liked" my painting. I had misgivings about posting it as it seemed such a self-indulgent thing to do, so I'm really glad it went over well. Happyfatchick, ​I keep meaning to get more disciplined about my painting and actually treat it as a career because other than that I don't really do anything useful. I've never been the career woman type, so was happy enough as a stay-at-home mom, and as a Navy wife, we were always moving around so much that there wasn't really much opportunity for forging a career anyway. Heck, I could have been a Duggar for how useful I was most of the time! And by the time the kids were grown we were quite comfortable without the extra income, and I'd been out of the workforce with no real marketable or people skills for so long that I just didn't have the inclination to try to go back into the rat race. But not using that time more productively is pretty inexcusable, really. I do tend toward depression quite a bit, so that doesn't really help. As it stands, I'm lucky to produce one or two paintings a year, so I really need to push myself more. If nothing else, the practice would make me a much better artist.  My problem, really, is that while I can copy something and make it look more or less like what I am after, I don't feel as though I have a lot of innate creativity, so tend to see myself much more of a draftsman (woman?) than a true artist, per se.

Enough about that.

Regarding dreams...yes! I have that horrible one about needing a bathroom but only being able to find out-of-order, filthy, overflowing toilets all the time. Oddly, I don't generally even really need to "go" all that much when I wake up, which is quite disappointing, really, after having been so desperate in the dream. The sense of relief at finding a real toilet should be more satisfying! LOL

Also, the only person who shows up with any sort of regularity in my dreams is my cousin in England whom I fell for in a really big way 40 years ago when I was 17 and his family came to visit. I'd barely known him before, and see him very infrequently, but even though it never went anything beyond a mutual spark of attraction in real life, it became an almost obsessive symbol of everything unobtainable in my own mind, and for many years kept me feeling anything from a vague to an overwhelming sense of dissatisfaction. In the past these dreams could get pretty racy, but now mostly involve some comforting hugs.

If I dream of my own husband of 30+ years at all, it's generally that he's pissed off at me for something.

Which also leads to Newdigs' comment about having a newly-retired spouse underfoot. I can identify with that! Mine retired just about exactly a year ago and has been fiddling with writing a resume for well over 6 months, but he's actually a lot happier in retirement than he ever thought he would be, and procrastinating. And while he has very generous retirement pay which covers the basics and then some quite nicely, he is, by nature, a "spender" who has gotten accustomed to a lot of the "finer things" along with being very generous and feeling an obligation, as the oldest of seven siblings with a recently widowed mother, to contribute in any way he can when any of them need some help which, in the case of his mom, and one of his brothers who has a disability, is a monthly allotment to each. I don't mean to disparage his generosity; it's a wonderful trait...but considering that he's such a math genius, it's amazing  that all those figures never seem to add up in his head.

Oh, heavens...I'm turning all these lighthearted subjects into tales of woe...guess I should stop.

Was there something else there along the line which I can't destroy? Oh, I know...someone mentioned being able to read upside down and being surprised that not everyone could do it. I'm surprised as well. I always remember, when I was young, having to cover up answers to quizzes or riddles being printed upside down at the bottom of a page very quickly while keeping my eyes out of focus because as a fast reader to start with I'd invariably manage to inadvertently read them if I wasn't careful. I can also read mirror writing (print, not script) almost as easily, and can write it fluently without my handwriting even changing. I also often have a hard time telling right from left and wonder whether that's connected.

Ok...I'm finally done. Cheers to anyone who managed to read this far!

• Love 5

I already "posted" this once - or not, apparently. I dint think it's related, Jynn. Based on my own experience only, I am so right handed it's not funny. I can't read upside down,msideways, mirrored or any other thing other than straight l-r. When I was an itty bitty thing, I broke my left arm. To this day, if I'm giving directions aloud, I hold up my "cast" arm, because I know it was my left.

I hear music 100% of the time. Right now, I'm hearing "You're gonna miss me when I'm gone". Always, seriously, 100%. There is always always always a snippet of a song. Sometimes, it's not a "real" recorded song. Sometimes, it's a bit of a hymn, or just a random bit of stringed music that needs to be written. I have to laugh when someone says they have a song stuck in their head. I never have a moment when I don't have a song stuck in my head. And it just changes wildly-nilly. You could say to me at any moment of a day, "what are you playing?" And I could break out into music on the spot. But if that's what I'm hearing,meats what's there. If you name another tune, my brain switches gears to that song.

This is such a constant for me that when I'm put to sleep for say, a medical procedure, when I wake up, I feel disoriented, like I'm coming back fm the dead because there's no music. There WAS music, righ up until I said "...97..." But there's no music when I'm out. This feels dead to me.

And back to th painting, Jynnan, I would buy your art right now, this moment. My SIL is an artist, and can use many mediums (oil, watercolor, charcoal, etc). She is currently illustrating a children's book and I find that fascinating.

• Love 3

I hear music 100% of the time. Right now, I'm hearing "You're gonna miss me when I'm gone". Always, seriously, 100%. There is always always always a snippet of a song. Sometimes, it's not a "real" recorded song. Sometimes, it's a bit of a hymn, or just a random bit of stringed music that needs to be written. I have to laugh when someone says they have a song stuck in their head. I never have a moment when I don't have a song stuck in my head. And it just changes wildly-nilly. You could say to me at any moment of a day, "what are you playing?" And I could break out into music on the spot. But if that's what I'm hearing,meats what's there. If you name another tune, my brain switches gears to that song.

I'm the same way with music, as is my younger son. He has much more of a tendency to whistle, hum, or otherwise make tuneful noises with his head. Seriously, he can "click" something like the Flight of the Bumblebee with his tongue, or "play" it on his cheeks with his open mouth serving as the amplifier. He's a very good clarinet player, so has a lot of, I don't know, oral flexibility or something? Can't figure out how to phrase that without it sounding dirty! LOL.

He'll also go from genre to genre, whistling, without skipping a beat. He says that people at work or at school always try to figure out how many different pieces of music he will go through from pop music to jazz to showtunes to classical to opera and back. He loves to get a song stuck in my head, because no matter what it is or how annoying, if I hear it and know it, I'll probably start humming it.

Now I have "You're Gonna Miss me When I'm Gone" stuck in my head as well just because you mentioned it.

I've never really been one to listen to the radio as background music because if there's music playing, I'm focused on listening, and I'm a horrible multi-tasker. Even the music in my head gets too distracting sometimes, and I have to drop what I'm trying to do to sing along.

• Love 1

I had a dream when I went in to be tested to be a possible kidney donor for my husband. In the dream, Garth Brooks and Harrison Ford came in the OR room before they were going to take my kidney out. They told the doctors and the rest of the medical team staff not to touch me because they were going to donate instead. Another dream I had they were fighting over who was going to take care of me after I donated my kidney.

Bigskygirl, did they give you any meds to help you sleep? If so can you tell us that they gave you?
  • Love 2

First of all, Jynan, that painting was beautiful. I loved it and wish I was there. 

I already "posted" this once - or not, apparently. I dint think it's related, Jynn. Based on my own experience only, I am so right handed it's not funny. I can't read upside down,msideways, mirrored or any other thing other than straight l-r. When I was an itty bitty thing, I broke my left arm. To this day, if I'm giving directions aloud, I hold up my "cast" arm, because I know it was my left.

While I can read upside down, and any which ways (I think it's because I've always been curious as to what's on someone's desk) but, I have trouble with my right and left when I'm giving directions. I'm much more likely to point correctly while giving the wrong direction orally. I have to tell people follow my hand, not my mouth. Funny, I've never been anything other than right-handed although I did experiment with ambidextrous writing.  My family have the same problem. While playing tour guide to some friends, my brother gushed, "Look at that fountain on the right!" Everyone turned their heads to the left and there it was!

There is always music going on in my head. Sometimes even when the radio is on I have a completely different song playing in my head. When I go to bed I can't sleep unless there are "good" songs playing in my head. Sometimes the song that gets "stuck" may be the last song I heard leaving my car. Best one was when we were attending my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary mass. In church, of course. Last song I heard was Poison's "Talk Dirty to Me." Yep. Walking down the center aisle to our reserved seats, did I mention in church, that song was coming out of my mouth. I have to really, really concentrate on keeping songs inside my head!

• Love 1

I don’t know my right from my left.  Well, in theory I know, but I have to think about it a split second longer than the average person.  As a child I was part of a drill team and was consistently a beat behind when they drilled up because I just needed those couple of seconds to process.  I was secretly afraid that I was just profoundly stupid and tried to hide my struggle.  At one of my jobs as an adult, I was tasked with assembling promotional materials.  In the old days we used plastic inserts and inserted photos.  I would always assemble it wrong.  I just could not conceptualize how to put two photos back to back into an insert so they would be consistently oriented.  My colleague, seeing me struggle pointed out that her stepson had the same problem and it was diagnosed as part of his learning disability.  Knowing this helped me to accept that I just thought of things differently.   I also danced.  We would be instructed to “turn to the left”.  I would turn to my concept of “left”.  The teacher would remind us all to turn left and we’d do it again, and again.  Finally I told her “if I’m turning the wrong way you have to tell me, because I’ll go the wrong way forever and not realize it.”  Going forward as we rehearsed she would just shout out “other way Kathe!”  That worked for me!
When I’m getting driving directions I always tell people to point and say “this way” or “that way” instead of right or left.  It works better for me that way.

• Love 2

My people!

The directionally challenged.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've had to say, My other right. And when I am lucky enough to find my way into a new neighborhood on the first try I will, with unerring frequency, turn the absolute wrong ways getting back out.

So aggravating.

Love the painting JT! It reminds of beautiful fall sunset afterglows I've seen over the Gulf of Mexico.

• Love 2

Ahhhh, at home with my peeps. You guys have NO IDEA how comforting it is to me to know there are other grownups in the world who actually hear, with regularity, "no, your OTHER left". Haha!!

I don't know if I mentioned this before, so if it's a repeat, skip it.

I've taken all my moms jewelry, a whole bunch of leftover earrings with no mate, etc, and several nice pieces as well to a jeweler, to have them all made into something. Mostly pendants, but there are some rings being repaired and some actual sets of earrings being cleaned. I'm having a "tea" (lemonade) this Sunday for all the girls (women) in the family and I'm going to give each one a piece of jewelry. I had one sister-in-law who was absolutely irreplaceable during all the years of caring for my parents - I should sign up to be her lifelong handmaiden, no kidding - and I've already given her a stunning tennis bracelet.

Now BEFORE you hit that thumbs up button, let me say this: I kept their wedding rings and had them fixed together and a loop added, and I will murder anyone who tries to take that. (Totally being sincere). I am keeping some pieces myself, and I'm trying desperately not to feel guilty about that, but there you go...the only daughter position has its value. One of the pieces was just Godawful ugly to me, and the jeweler said "but this is a GREEN DIAMOND; it's lovely". The ring was quite beautiful, the setting. So i had them put the green diamond in a different ring and an amethyst (her birthstone) in the original ring. Not a green diamond fan. (My birthstone is a peridot and I don't own a single one).

My question: her oldest great granddaughter and the 2 youngest are named for her, at least partly. Should they get something a little more meaningful? Here's the rundown: one daughter, 2 granddaughters, 2 DIL's, 6 great granddaughters. I'm giving a little something to the spouses of the grandsons (I'm pretty comfortable with my position on that). It's just the great grands who "ought" to be even, but have her name that's throwing me a little.

Also, I've been talking about camping so much.... My parents LOOOOOVED to camp. When I was little, we did the tent camping thing. (As in, I was in high school the last time,...). But from the moment they got their first real RV, they were sucked in. They drove EVERYWHERE in that thing. In fact, they traded UP every couple years until Daddy was 80 (started when he was around 50). At one point, they owned TWO so they could drag OUR families around with them. So now I've gone and bought a camper so I could be just like them, I guess.

Here's what I'm gonna do. I'm going to hobby lobby and get a bag of flat river rocks. I'm going to paint or write something on each one about traveling and my parent's initials and the date and leave one everywhere I go camping. Because I'm telling myself they're camping through me. Is that cool or should I really consider shutting down the meth lab after all? (YUGE moneymaker, that meth lab...)

• Love 8

My people!

The directionally challenged.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've had to say, My other right. And when I am lucky enough to find my way into a new neighborhood on the first try I will, with unerring frequency, turn the absolute wrong ways getting back out.

So aggravating.

Love the painting JT! It reminds of beautiful fall sunset afterglows I've seen over the Gulf of Mexico.

Yup...anyone who knows me at all just points in the direction they mean rather than trusting me to get it right. Though I DO, in fact, get it right a good percentage of the time, but those are not typically the times anyone else remembers. My husband still tells me it's just because i'm not paying attention.

And thanks for the nice comment on the painting...though this was, in fact, based on a photo I took January of last year during a sunrise on Hutchinson Island, FL...but whatever it makes anyone feel a connection with is fine by me! :)

• Love 2

My question: her oldest great granddaughter and the 2 youngest are named for her, at least partly. Should they get something a little more meaningful? Here's the rundown: one daughter, 2 granddaughters, 2 DIL's, 6 great granddaughters. I'm giving a little something to the spouses of the grandsons (I'm pretty comfortable with my position on that). It's just the great grands who "ought" to be even, but have her name that's throwing me a little.

Here's what I'm gonna do. I'm going to hobby lobby and get a bag of flat river rocks. I'm going to paint or write something on each one about traveling and my parent's initials and the date and leave one everywhere I go camping. Because I'm telling myself they're camping through me. Is that cool or should I really consider shutting down the meth lab after all? (YUGE moneymaker, that meth lab...)

Wow, HAPPYFATCHICK. You are impressive. It's been years since my mom passed and I still haven't figured out how to divide her jewelry amongst my daughter, daughter-in-law, and one granddaughter from each. But you asked our opinion, so I am going to give it. I think each great-granddaughter should receive equal gifts. It isn't the fault of the uniquely named girls that they weren't given their great gramma's name, and their feelings might be really hurt that they were not valued as much as the other girls.

I love your idea of the river rocks. What a fun surprise for each camper who finds a rock. And a meaningful tribute to your parents.

And lastly.....I have NO sense of direction. Even to places I have been several times I get lost. I get lost in restaurants trying to find my table after a restroom break. For me, the greatest invention of modern times is the personal GPS. It isn't perfect, but it has made my driving life SO much better.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 7

I think each great-granddaughter should receive equal gifts. It isn't the fault of the uniquely named girls that they weren't given their great gramma's name, and their feelings might be really hurt that they were not valued as much as the other girls.

I agree. that's what I thought too, but you said it better.
  • Love 4

Hello All! 

JynnanTonnix - what a beautiful painting! People with artistic talent make me go GREEN with jealousy and envy. I also understand about the Navy wife thing. My hubs never left Norfolk, just bounced from ship to ship. However, when he retired, I was ready to sign him up for a 7 month med cruise inside his first month at home. He ended up with a civilian job...but had to retire from that when he got sick...now I've been stuck with him for the last year that I've been out of work, and I'm tempted to stow away on a ship out of San Diego and take myself on a WestPac. 

HFC and Cherry...so sorry to read about losing your mamas...Its never easy...even when you have a love/hate relationship with your mom...my mom died in 2013. 

On the Sin City news front...I finished the 4 week training for the first certification but didn't get to take the test due to lack of $$...it was like 250.00.I had an interview for a design job a couple of weeks ago that went really well. I called them last week and they told me they'd be making a decision this week...I also have an interview tomorrow for another design job (that pays a whole lot less than the first one)...and now I'm a bit conflicted. The next phase of training starts this Saturday and I don't want to go if I'm going to just quit for another job...SO...I think I'm going to call the first company (the job I really want) and ask them if they've made a decision...because I need to know by Friday so I can bow out of the training class. Is that too pushy? What if the other company offers me a job too? They're known for offers on the spot...I'm a bit confuzzled right now and any advice is gladly welcomed.

• Love 1

Oh gosh, REDPONYDRIVER, the good news is that there is no bad choice here. If tomorrow's interviewer offers you a job on the spot, you could ask him/her when you need to let them know. If they say in a day or two or three, then you might decide to call the first one to ask if they made a decision. If the interviewer says you need to let them know right away, you will need to decide if you will be satisfied with your decision to take it no matter what. Good luck, and sending wishes for the best result for you and your future.

• Love 5

I don't see numbers in color, but I do 'hear' music in color and I can read upside down, backwards and forwards. I know my left and right but I have no sense of direction when it comes to north/south/east/west. I have to have someone tell me "go up this road and then turn left" as opposed to "turn west", because I'll get totally turned around. GPS systems were a lifesaver for me, I can't read a map to save my life.

• Love 2

Update on Job situation...

Interview today was a joke and probably illegal...asked questions like "how does your husband feel about you working late"...I nearly lost my coffee over that one. The pay SUCKS and it's more of an entry-level, CAD jockey job...

Anyway...I called the company that I REALLY want to work for (up my alley, serious $$ and benefits)...they told me they'd be making a decision by Thursday at the latest and yes, I was still on their "short list". I told them my dilemma with the training thing starting up again Saturday and the head honcho guy apologized for stringing me along...and that they had interviewed like 15 people for 5 positions. He was glad that I hadn't found another job yet "we need to get faster about getting back to people because so often, they take another offer while we're still talking it over." So...I'm hopeful beyond belief...and so afraid to get my hopes crushed again. 

On the utter shit side...somehow or another our Medicaid got cancelled...so hubs has about a week's worth of meds and about 3 days worth of test strips (he's a brittle type 1 diabetic without a pancreas) left. Guess I'll be on the phone with the Medicaid idiots tomorrow. We also have to see if he can qualify for VA medical, I think we were under the income threshold for last year. AND...have to call Social Security...his Medicare (he's on SSDI) should have kicked in this month. What an utter pain in the butt...

Stay tuned for the life and misadventures of the RPD and hubby!

• Love 9

Thanks for the update, REDPONYDRIVER. I've been thinking about you today. What a roller coaster!

Fingers crossed for you to get the job you want and for your hubby to get back on Medicaid. You will probably not have a fun job with them on the phone tomorrow! ((Hugs!!))

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 1

Several months ago I had a severe finger injury, and am still working with the Dr. and PT.  My doctor told me to use something like Emu oil on the joint.  Last night I tried some Icy Hot on my finger and went to bed.  Who knew that Icy Hot is an alternative for catnip?  Both of my cats went absolutely nuts.  They kept trying to get to my hand by digging at the comforter, jumping one me, licking my face, and rolling around on the bed.  Lilly attacked the container. And they wouldn't stop.  I really thought the strong smell of menthol would keep them far away, but I thought wrong.  It was really funny, but I worry that it might be toxic to cats.   No more Icy Hot tonight!

• Love 2
It was really funny, but I worry that it might be toxic to cats.   No more Icy Hot tonight!

Apparently it's the menthol in IcyHot. It's from the mint family and they react as if it's catnip. It's suggested that they not lick the skin where it's been rubbed in, but if you find them licking your night clothes it'll probably be alright as long as they don't eat them!

• Love 1

Catlyn, I did not know that cats were attracted to mint.  Mine sure went crazy.  Thank you for that information.

Question:  has anyone given up their land telephone line and switched to Ooma?  I am wondering about the quality of sound and the reliability when using it wirelessly.

The cost of Ooma appeals to me as opposed to ATT.  Does Ooma really cut down on telemarket calls? Ooma says that your address is listed for 911, which was a question I had, but apparently they don't list your number anywhere else.  Sounds almost too good to be true.

First, Jynnan Tonnix, what a beautiful painting.  You did a wonderful job capturing the light.

Second, cat update.  I have been fostering two senior boys for ten months.  We had reason to believe that their person had died two months ago.  She went into the hospital and was not heard from again.  We had tried to find a new person for the cats but at 14 and 16, the elder with some health  issues, there was no real interest.  So I decided I would keep them.  I was able to work out a deal with the agency I fostered through to help with their dental work.  Good thing I did.  While waiting for the scheduled teeth cleaning, Skinny Pete got an abscess that made his face blow up.  A quick trip to the kitty ER, an overnight stay and 12 teeth pulled, and he is much better.  The other guy had his teeth done yesterday and is doing great.  Also, we learned that their person is alive.  Unfortunately it is still a sad outcome.  She is under state care for mental illness after a suicide attempt.  She has dementia and is struggling.  We are trying to find a way to get a message to her so she can know that her cats are okay.  Her feeling that she had abandoned them was one of her greatest regrets. 

Third, dreams.  I rarely remember my dreams now.  However, I do know the feeling of waking up paralyzed.  I attended a lecture about a year ago that covered this topic as part of a larger topic.  I experience two versions of this phenomenon.  When I am falling asleep, especially if on my back, I get a sense that the bed is falling away from me.  I used to panic, thinking I was dying.  I came to accept it.  The other is waking from a dream and not being able to move.  I can breath and open my eyes but that's it.  Per the speaker, this is actually fairly common.  Not to flip people out, but while we are dreaming and asleep we are sometimes paralyzed.  Some of  us wake up mid dream with our brains and bodies still in that zone.  So we are paralyzed until our brains switch to understanding that we are awake.   In these instances, I can sometimes continue to see my dream while awake, kind of like a semi-transparent overlay. I can also sometimes start to wake up during a bad dream and change it.  So if I'm drowning, I find a way out, or I make the water a bath and sit up.  I actually prefer when that happens because I am not left with the unsettled feelings from a bad dream. 

• Love 5

I am a long-time lurker, extremely infrequent poster, but I just had to add to the synesthesia conversation from earlier this week. I realized only about a year ago that I have spatial sequence synesthesia, which in my case means that I "see" the days/months/years my mind as a large circle that moves counter-clockwise. I had never thought about how I see time before, until I heard a radio program about it. It turns out my dad has spatial sequence synesthesia as well. 

**Shuffling back into lurking mode**

• Love 5

rainbow brite said:  I realized only about a year ago that I have spatial sequence synesthesia, which in my case means that I "see" the days/months/years my mind as a large circle that moves counter-clockwise.

that is interesting. i have always seen my life as days moving in a certain direction too...i am trying to remember which way. i think its clockwise as i am thinking about my flight tomorrow and i perceive tomorrow to be left of me...very weird. didnt relize that i was any different than anyone else...

• Love 2

Third, dreams.  I rarely remember my dreams now.  However, I do know the feeling of waking up paralyzed.  I attended a lecture about a year ago that covered this topic as part of a larger topic.  I experience two versions of this phenomenon.  When I am falling asleep, especially if on my back, I get a sense that the bed is falling away from me.  I used to panic, thinking I was dying.  I came to accept it.  The other is waking from a dream and not being able to move.  I can breath and open my eyes but that's it.  Per the speaker, this is actually fairly common.  Not to flip people out, but while we are dreaming and asleep we are sometimes paralyzed.  Some of  us wake up mid dream with our brains and bodies still in that zone.  So we are paralyzed until our brains switch to understanding that we are awake.   In these instances, I can sometimes continue to see my dream while awake, kind of like a semi-transparent overlay. I can also sometimes start to wake up during a bad dream and change it.  So if I'm drowning, I find a way out, or I make the water a bath and sit up.  I actually prefer when that happens because I am not left with the unsettled feelings from a bad dream. 

Sleep paralysis is so interesting to me. I think we're mostly paralyzed while asleep so we can't, like, commit murder or anything. Which is like a little checks and balances system. Cool. It is also terrifying because I almost always think I'm dying when it happens to me. There's this weight on my chest and I can't breath or move or anything and it's the best way to wake up. Also, sometimes when I'm falling asleep, my brain will do the thing where it thinks I am dying, and wakes me up. 

I've never been able to change my dreams like that though. That's like lucid dreaming and thats amazing and I'm honestly a little jealous. 

• Love 3

I am a long-time lurker, extremely infrequent poster, but I just had to add to the synesthesia conversation from earlier this week. I realized only about a year ago that I have spatial sequence synesthesia, which in my case means that I "see" the days/months/years my mind as a large circle that moves counter-clockwise. I had never thought about how I see time before, until I heard a radio program about it. It turns out my dad has spatial sequence synesthesia as well.

**Shuffling back into lurking mode**

i see numbers 1-12 in a clock format. Then 13 goes in a horizontal line to the right until 100. Then the numbers go vertical (up) until it hits 1200 then it starts again. I personify sounds too. Yes I'm wacky. When I first saw a drawing of the way I see numbers on the Internet i was shocked. How is it we are wired the same way to "see" what we do?

I'm curious how you answered the personal questions, RPD. It's perfectly acceptable to say (in your most polite inside voice) "you can't ask that question". I've said that very thing. I got some eyebrows raised in response, but it's not acceptable. Often (way too often), companies will allow supervisors/managers to interview potential employees without properly training them to do so. They (the untrained managers) think they're being personable and chummy. And truthfully, even if you self identify for them, they shouldn't even act like they heard your answer.